Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WCW: The Road To Competence

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WCW: The Road To Competence

Fall Brawl 1993 Predictions

Terry Taylor, Van Hammer & Scotty Flamingo vs. 2 Cold Scorpio, Tom Zenk & Marcus Alexander Bagwell

I think that Flamingo will win the match to set a future title rematch

Lord Steven Regal vs. Chris Benoit

Regal needs the win following his demolition at the Clash

Ron Simmons vs. Johnny B Badd

This seems like a squash win for Simmons to me,

The Texas Hangmen (Tex Slazenger & Shanghai Pierce) vs. The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags)

The Nasty Boys are the debuting team here so I have a feeling that they are going to win

Rick Rude vs. Ric Flair

A hard fought win for Flair, following the tag loss at the Clash

WCW World Heavyweight Title: Big Van Vader (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith

As much as I want Davey Boy as a World Champion, Vader is not losing his first title defence

War Games: Team Blonds (Hollywood Blonds, Shane Douglas & Paul Orndorff) vs. Team Stinger (Sting, Cactus Jack, Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat)

I get the feeling that Team Stinger will win this one to set their various rematches for Halloween Havoc

Walking with Japan

Status
      Country                    Japan

Terry Taylor, Van Hammer & Scotty Flamingo vs. 2 Cold Scorpio, Tom Zenk & Marcus Alexander Bagwell
    Heels win to set up Scorpios next challenger I'd assume.

I think you'll have Regal bounce back from his humiliation vs Davey by picking up a cheap win here and allow the feud to continue further.

I'll be stunned if this isn't a squash.

The Texas Hangmen (Tex Slazenger & Shanghai Pierce) vs. The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags)
    I honestly know nothing about the Hangmen, but I LOVE that team name. That said, whilst I was getting behind them as potential title challengers during the update, once I saw the Nastys had debuted, I had to assume they were being built up only as fodder for the big name team coming in. Nastys shouldn't be losing their first match back.

Rick Rude vs. Ric Flair

Hard to call. Very hard to call. Going for Flair to *just* eek out a win, possibly by outsmarting Rude in some way or out-cheating him, setting up one more match between them for a blow off at Halloween Havoc.

WCW World Heavyweight Title
    : Big Van Vader (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith

No doubt it'll be another brave showing, but Davey will be falling short again. Cant see Vaders title reign ending in anything other than a headline match - and this match isn't main eventing this show.

War Games
    : Team Blonds (Hollywood Blonds, Shane Douglas & Paul Orndorff) vs. Team Stinger (Sting, Cactus Jack, Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat)
    This has been my thought from the moment you announced the match in the build up for the last COTC. Thought the nod toward the ''Lost in Cleveland'' angle was funny with Cactus - though I hope that's all it was, and we aren't getting any god-awful promos of Cactus slumming it in Cleveland, lol. Cactus makes a dramatic return to save the day for Team Stinger, helping Sting win the match, setting up three matches for Havoc. Even though you'd expect Cactus to wind up facing Vader, I think he ends up being Stings partner vs The Blondes at that shot, foregoing the chance to challenge Vader to instead aide Sting and finally win his trust ... before probably turning on him. Feel good face win on this show though. Makes sense.

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by keefmoon View Post

BattleTank also got the longest match correct (the TV Title match), as did MalWinters. BattleTank also got the shortest match correct, and the reason for why it'd be shortest. I can only presume he has remote access to the Word document where I've planned everything out.
    Hey, you didn't see me sitting next to Craig Leathers during the booking committee meeting? Haha, I got lucky on COTC, hopefully I can do as well again here for Fall Brawl.

Kind of upset the stable of Nash, Scotty and DDP is gone. I understand you are sticking with the real life comings and goings, so sad to see Nash leave. Here, it just seems like the faces have to win. 2 Cold is the TV champ so I predict he gets the win here.

Both men need a win desperately here, but Benoit has been getting the bigger push.

Was never a big fan of Johnny B Badd, so I’m hoping Simmons destroys him.

The Godwinns before they were the Godwinns. At first I had The Nastys winning, but they are such a bad ass team that they don’t need to win, just kick ass. This should be a fun brawl.

Rick Rude vs. Ric Flair
    I sense some sort of shenanigans here to help Rude win. Should be an awesome match though, really looking forward to this one.

WCW World Heavyweight Title: Big Van Vader (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith
    Vader CAN’T lose yet. Your booking of him has been so great; he needs to keep the momentum going until Starrcade. Davey Boy is a credible opponent, this one should be hard hitting and brutal.

War Games: Team Blonds (Hollywood Blonds, Shane Douglas & Paul Orndorff) vs. Team Stinger (Sting, Cactus Jack, Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat)
    The faces need a big win here. So much talent in one..err..two rings, I’m most excited for this match. Sting makes Douglas submit after Steamboat mops the floor with him. Curious to see how this one is booked.

Well, you just keep the ball rolling in an impressive manner. Fall Brawl looks so much fun to write and book, and I think you’ll do a great job of presenting it. Really curious to see how the Rude/Flair match plays out plus Vader/Davey, and of course, War Games. I like how everything is starting to slowly culminate to Starrcade. Great buildup to this one. Excited to read it.

WWF-1991 and Beyond- "The Perfect Summer" is now complete. What's next?
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=169069

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    Europe

Episode Ten: Fall Brawl 1993

Terry Taylor, Van Hammer & Scotty Flamingo w/ Diamond Dallas Page & The Diamond Doll vs. 2 Cold Scorpio, Tom Zenk & Marcus Alexander Bagwell
    Hot six-man tag action to kick off the PPV. The heels dominate (it is pro wrestling, after all), particularly the surprisingly impressive Van Hammer, fresh off his heel turn when he joined up with the Diamond Mine. But still, it's the red hot 2 Cold who has all the momentum right now. After ten minutes Scorpio pins Taylor with the 450, leaving Flamingo seething on the outside

Lord Steven Regal w/Sir William vs. Chris Benoit
    Two former friends collide in the battle of the technicians. They keep it on the mat, and receive warm applause from those who value the technique it takes to perform at this level. It's not for everyone, so after the first five minutes they take to forearming each other in the nose. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. After a suitable amount of nose cartilage damage, Benoit hits Regal with a beautiful Bridging Dragon Suplex for the win in fourteen hard-earned minutes.

HOSS BATTLE~! The Nasties win their debut match after a sloppy but aggressively fought brawl in under ten minutes. If you could do a better job talking about a Godwinn's vs. Nasties match, more power to ya. I've got better things to be doing...

… or maybe I haven't.

The newly heel turned former World Champion Simmons is not a happy man, and he wants Badd to know it. In fact, he is so focused on injuring his opponent he leaves himself open to a roll-up and surprise loss after six minutes. Ever the sportsman, Simmons takes Badd's confetti-firing Badd Blaster gun after the match and crushes it in to Badd's beautifully manicured face.

Rick Rude w/ Sid Vicious & Missy Hyatt vs. Ric Flair w/ Fifi
    Flair comes in to this one looking for furious revenge against Rude for how they've treated his valet Fifi, forcing Rude to fall in to his book of cheap tricks and stalling. It forces Flair in to a mistake, allowing Rude to chinlock Flair in to oblivion to the fury of the fans who just want to see Flair succeed.

Eventually Flair does find his way back in to the match, only for the interference of Sid to keep him down. Arn Anderson eventually makes his presence known to even the sides, but Sid is able to throw him in to the barricade as Hyatt distracts the ref, allowing Sid to slide in to the ring, hit Flair with the Powerbomb and drag Rude on top for the cheap win after thirteen minutes to a near-riot from the sold-out crowd.

WCW World Heavyweight Title: Big Van Vader (c) w/ Harley Race vs. Davey Boy Smith
    As with their battle at Beach Blast, Davey Boy at times seems to have too much for the monstrous World Champion. Vader is barely able to hang on for large parts of the match, but once he's on offence, there's only going to be one winner. Davey gives it his all, but gets nailed with the Powerbomb, allowing Vader to retain the title in...

WAIT! Davey Boy kicked out of the Powerbomb?! No-one has EVER managed to do that so far in WCW! Unluckily for Davey, Vader always has a backup plan. With Davey unable to stand, the champion climbs to the top rope and squashes him with the most devastating Moonsault in all of wrestling. From there, it's academic. Vader retains after fifteen minutes, but Davey gave it one hell of an effort. Can anyone get the job done against Vader?

War Games: Team Blonds (WCW Tag Team Champions Hollywood Blonds, Shane Douglas & WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Paul Orndorff) vs. Team Stinger (Sting, Cactus Jack, Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat)
    How do you start a match of this magnitude? With the dream match of Ricky Steamboat vs. Brian Pillman, of course. Pillman, along with his partner Austin, have been hiding behind each other for too long now, and for the first time in months, someone finally gets one of them alone, in a cage no less.

Steamboat beats Pillman from pillar to post, only for the heels win the coin toss (of course), allowing Shane Douglas to enter and turn the tables. It's Steamboat's anger towards his former partner that is his undoing, focusing all his attention on Douglas and allowing Pillman to recover. The heels dominate until the numbers level out with the introduction of team captain Sting, and Steamboat and Sting show great teamwork to take over.

Paul Orndorff is next in and the pendulum swings back to Team Blonds until Dustin Rhodes joins, throwing all his anger at his nemesis (and US Champion) Orndorff. Each side pairs off – Steamboat with his rival Douglas in one corner, Dustin with Orndorff in another, and team captains Sting and Pillman in another. Steve Austin is the final man in for Team Blonds, and the numerical advantage allows them to beat the plucky babyfaces down.

After two minutes the fans await the entrance of Cactus Jack... but he's nowhere to be found. The announcers are left no choice but to declare that we have now reached The Match Beyond, even though the numbers remain skewed in favour of Team Blonds. They pick their face through their opponents when Cactus Jack bursts through the curtain and makes his return, swinging a barbed-wire covered baseball bat above his head! The heels stare in shock as Jack swings for every one of them, bloodying them all up with a single swing.

From here, it's unrecappable carnage. The Blonds, sensing the tide turning away from them, grab their trusty handcuffs and try to lock Sting to the cage. Before they can, Jack steals the cuffs away, wraps them around his hand, beats Pillman to a pulp with them, then uses them to choke Austin out for the submission victory after over twenty minutes of violence. Tony Schiavone damn near feints from the brutality as Jack remains the last man standing in the middle of the enormous metal structure.

And with that, we move on to the Road to Halloween Havoc 1993... but which matches will the War Games victors choose?!

Main Eventer

Status

Great stuff again with Fall Brawl. I will touch on the major points coming off a big PPV.

Ron Simmons is going fully blown heel now. The surprise defeat to JBB really set him off this time and I'm intrigued to whether he stays as a lower card star or whether he gets a little push after what he did to Marvelous Ma... I mean Johnny B Badd's beautiful face.

Davey again pushes Vader all the way but the immovable object that is The Man They Call Vader once again has too much for him.

Rude and Flair was always going to come down to what Sid would do from the outside. Again he proves the difference between Rude and Flair and I would love something like Sid in a cage for their next encounter, although maybe we get Sid versus Flair for Flair to get at Rude again.

Finally let's talk about War Games. As always the heels had the upper hand with the coin toss but right at the death Cactus Jack returns as expected and takes out everyone. Would have been cool to see Cactus go heel on account of the amnesia but the brutality of the finish puts Cactus over big time.

Steamboat, Rhodes and Sting will surely ask for matches with Douglas, Orndorff and The Blondes but I hope that we Cactus asks for Vader. Vader was the one that put him on the shelf and it could be awesome to see Jack get revenge on him. What that means for Sting's partner remains to be seen although pushing Davey or bringing someone in could work.

Things are really going off in a different direction to reality now which is great. Once 1994 comes along it will definitely be cool to see what you do with the arrival of a certain individual. Keep up the great work.

Just give me the damn wooden spoon already!!!

Be The Booker : WWE 2012 A New Direction

Upcoming PPV

Spoiler:

Walking with Japan

Status

The win for Scorpio strengthens his credibility as champion. Thought this would be a set up for whoever his next challenger may be, but I actually like this booking more. Could still see Van Hammer emerge seeing as he wasn’t involved in the finish, and there appears to be some added focus on him now he’s turned heel.

Enjoyed the review of Regal/Benoit, acknowledging the lack of appreciation for the technical stuff. Solid win for Benoit, and to me, that feels like the right call, as he’s going to be a serious force in the thread sooner or later imo, plus, having just lost the TV title and facing Regal (who still has the stench of that one minute squash) the hard earned win suits Benoit, and helps re-establish Regal as a threat, even in defeat.

No surprises that the Nastys went over, but a huge surprise that Simmons did not. I’d be interested to know what the thinking is there, as the Badd has been -and still is- a jobber, yet he’s managed to eliminate Sid from a battle royal and now this. Was it just to spring a surprise, or a way to get across that Simmons focus was on the wrong goal? Not sure I like Simmons losing here either way, but blasting Johnny with his gun was a nice thing to visualise.

Glad to be right on my prediction for the match, and to keep the feud rolling. The interference from Sid suggests we could get Flair vs Sid next month to stall a final Flair/Rude showdown until Starrcade.

Great booking of Davey in defeat. Despite two losses to Vader, he still feels like an elite level, top tier star. What I’d like now for Smith is to see him get embroiled into a heated feud, to keep his momentum going, as he’s probably not going to be in the title picture for a while to come.

Glad you didn’t go for any kind of swerve in the main event. This was the right finish, and I loved how the handcuffs finally backfired on the Blondes after their wins earlier in the year thanks to the very same object. Cactus return was suitably epic, and he leaves the match as the big star imo. Cactus vs Vader seems the logical match to make ... but I’m still thinking there’s more to come with Sting. My gut says Jack selflessly chooses the tag match with Sting to challenge the Blondes, rather than going for singles glory against Vader. Very intrigued to see how you book this either way.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Well this show starts so well for me with two wrong picks although Scorpio winning does strengthen his standing as the TV Champ. I personally wonder which one of the men involved in this match will be his next challenger.

Again personal preference saw me pick Regal for the win but I’m happy that this wasn’t another squash and that he seemed to give as much as he got during this match

First successful pick sees The Nasty Boys win and I expected due to it being their debut match. Not much else to be said about this match

I damn near did a spit take when I saw Simmons had lost and am left wondering what exactly your plans are for the future Marc Mero. This result left me 1-3 in my predictions

Despite this result putting me further into a hole at 1-4 I enjoyed that it wasn’t a clean win over Flair for Rude. Looking forward to seeing what happened down the line with these guys. My paranoia senses are tingling for some sort of Four Horseman story here

Of course Vader was retaining and the booking of another hoss battle between these two made me happy as it showed how powerful both men were. Davey Boy being the first to kick out of the Powerbomb was awesome as was the moonsault finish which put me at 2-4

Just reading this short recap for War Games makes me wish that this was a match to watch on the Network. I love that Cactus made the save at the end and won the match with the handcuffs. I end this PPV at 3-4 in my predictions

I expect that Dustin Rhodes will go for a US Title rematch, Steamboat will go for a match with Douglas and Jack and Sting will go for the Tag title match, although Jack could go for a world title with Vader.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Thanks for the feedback guys, as always. Always interesting to see how others view where things are going.

Quick note on Johnny B Badd - it seems I have a higher opinion of Mr Mero than some others here! To be, he was a very solid midcarder. Always popular, can do silly and serious, good in-ring. He's no future World Champion, but he's a solid hand that I want to keep gradually heated in the midcard, without ever getting the winning pin in War Games, you know?

Speaking of which...

Episode Eleven: The Road to Halloween Havoc 1993

Fall Brawl is in the record books. Team Stinger were victorious inside War Games, giving the four winning team members a match of their choosing at Halloween Havoc. Team captain Sting decides that he'll use his match opportunity to get another shot at the Hollywood Blonds' Tag Team Titles. He finds Cactus Jack and tells him how impressed he was with his performance, but despite that, he's asked Ricky Steamboat to be his partner.

Cactus Jack
    flips at Sting over his decision, but not for the reason you might expect. Jack tells Sting that he wouldn't dream of using his match choice against the Tag Champions. Sting had his chance to team with him against the Blonds, and he blew it. Now, there's only one match he wants at Halloween Havoc, and it's a World Heavyweight Title shot at Big Van Vader, the man who knocked him out cold with a Powerbomb on the concrete at Clash of the Champions. And more than that, he wants that match to be... a Texas Death Match!

Jack's decision to take a match where he not only has to pin the unpinnable Vader, but keep him down for a further ten seconds after that, is seen as crazy. But so, too, is Cactus Jack. Can he cap off his star-making year by becoming the WCW World Heavyweight Champion.

The Blonds sure have a lot on at the moment. While Sting still very much has his sights set on dethroning the Blonds, another team are lining themselves up for a challenge as well. Now the Nasty Boys have beaten the Texas Hangmen, they too are looking for Tag Team gold, not helped by the Blonds incessant taunting of their potential challengers. The Nasties might not be getting a shot this month, but surely it's only a matter of time regardless of whether Sting and Steamboat get the job done.

One man left shocked by Ricky Steamboat's decision to compete for the Tag Titles was Shane Douglas. He had presumed he would be Steamboat's opponent, only for the Dragon to explain that he felt they'd closed the matter inside War Games, and had no desire to drag out their rivalry any further. Douglas, naturally, disagrees...

So what of the final member of Sting's team at Halloween Havoc, Dustin Rhodes? He uses his free choice of match to take a title shot against United States Heavyweight Champion Paul Orndorff.Orndorff had stolen Dustin's title at Beach Blast, and responds to Rhodes' challenge by beating the tar out of Dustin's friend Paul Roma. Again. Dustin makes the match his father's speciality – a Bullrope match!

How have we gone this far and not mentioned Ric Flair?! He's furious that Sid Vicious cost him a match with Rick Rude at Fall Brawl, and challenges him to a match at Halloween Havoc. Rude tells Flair that the match won't happen, as he needs his giant business associate to help him win the WCW Title.

Sid, however, has different plans. He agrees to Flair's challenge, and when Rude tries to convince him otherwise, chokes him against a wall until he agrees. Unsurprisingly, he does. But there's more – the match is made a Number One Contenders Match, with the winner going on to Starrcade to face the WCW Heavyweight Champion!

One man who came out of Fall Brawl with credit was Davey Boy Smith, who took Big Van Vader possibly further than anyone before him. On WCW Saturday Night he looks to bounce back in a match against Harlem Heat member Booker T, and wins by disqualification when Booker's brother Stevie Ray interfered. Smith was beaten down by the young tag team, when who would come to the rescue but Lord Steven Regal!

Regal would later explain that his loss to Davey at the Clash in August, and further loss to Benoit at Fall Brawl, had brought his recent decisions in to context. He made mistakes, and for that he was sorry. To prove it, he had signed he and Davey to a tag match at Halloween Havoc against Harlem Heat, and promised he would help them become a team that the Queen herself could be proud of. Smith is suspicious, but as long as he gets his hands on the Heat, goes along with it... for now.

Scotty Flamingo's obsessive pursuit of 2 Cold Scorpio's TV Title comes to a head on WCW Saturday Night when he agrees to leave the rest of the Diamond Mine backstage in return for another shot at the belt. During the title match, Scotty is knocked unconscious from a Hurricanrana by Scorpio. As the referee checks on Scotty, Van Hammer runs out and hits the champion with a Cobra Clutch Slam, just in time for Flamingo to awaken and make the cover, winning the TV Title! The rest of the Diamond Mine lift Scotty on to their shoulders, with the new champion blissfully unaware of the help he got from his stablemates.

At Halloween Havoc, Scotty will team with Van Hammer when they go up against 2 Cold Scorpio, and his new-found friend Chris Benoit.

And finally, after Ron Simmon's brutal attack on Johnny B Badd at Fall Brawl, the Fabulous One is forced to wear a protective face mask. Of course, it's a sparkly pink one. But that shouldn't hide how dangerous he can be. With a victory over Simmons, and having eliminated Sid in a Battle Royal, many have underestimated Badd in the past, and he is out for revenge against the man who broke his nose.

Simmons, however, is in no mood to play victim. He was humiliated in his loss at Fall Brawl, and promises to bring hell itself to Halloween Havoc, and to show Johnny B Badd, and the wrestling world, that he is no laughing matter.

Halloween Havoc 1993
    WCW TV Champion Scotty Flamingo & Van Hammer vs. Chris Benoit & 2 Cold Scorpio

Harlem Heat vs. Davey Boy Smith & Lord Steven Regal

WCW Tag Team Titles:
    Hollywood Blonds (Steve Austin & Brian Pillman) (c) vs. Sting & Ricky Steamboat

Bull-Rope Match for the WCW United States Heavyweight Title
    : Paul Orndorff (c) vs. Dustin Rhodes

Number One Contender Match
    : Sid Vicious vs. Ric Flair

Texas Death Match for the WCW Heavyweight Title
    : Big Van Vader (c) vs. Cactus Jack

And, hey, if this doesn't get you hyped for the PPV, I have just the thing that will...

Great wrestling video, or greatest wrestling video?

Main Eventer

Status

Halloween Havoc 1993 Predctions

These opening two tag matches are a toss-up. I think The Diamond Mine aid a victory here, which could be the start of Van Hammer turning on Flamingo.

I'm unsure whether Regal will turn here, but he will end up turning on Davey, that is for sure. I'll go for a good start, although part of me wants to give Harlem Heat a morale boosting victory.

Let there be an upset again. I want to see Simmons snap some more.

WCW Tag Team Titles: Hollywood Blonds (Steve Austin & Brian Pillman) (c) vs. Sting & Ricky Steamboat

Easy decision here. Douglas to cost the faces the match. Not sure what happens with Sting next, perhaps a match with Cactus Jack as I can see The Nasty Boys being the next challengers to the tag titles.

Bull-Rope Match for the WCW United States Heavyweight Title: Paul Orndorff (c) vs. Dustin Rhodes

Going for Dustin to win back the title in the match that his Daddy made famous. Looking through the results I've predicted I think at least one of the War Games winners has to be successful with his choice of match, right?

Number One Contender Match: Sid Vicious vs. Ric Flair

I think we are heading for Flair/Vader, although any combination of the four that isn't Flair/Cactus suits me. I think Rude costs Sid the match. You don't chokehold the Ravishing One.

Texas Death Match for the WCW Heavyweight Title: Big Van Vader (c) vs. Cactus Jack

Again this is going to be tough and I'd love for a surprise with Cactus going over but I just don't see it. How do you pin the unpinnable and then keep him down for 10 after. Vader/Flair, Sting/Cactus & Rude/Sid looks like a great way to put 6 of the best WCW stars at the headline of Starrcade.

Anyway keep up the great work mate, really enjoying this.

Last edited by Sykotto Durán; 05-03-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Just give me the damn wooden spoon already!!!

Be The Booker : WWE 2012 A New Direction

Upcoming PPV

Spoiler:

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

Love that Scotty is the new TV champ. I think this feud continues on moving forward, gonna give Scotty and Hammer a cheap win here.

Davey has fallen from grace since losing to Vader and I think his slide continues into a heel turn, which would be awesome. For now, Harlem Heat are the newer team, I have them winning.

Intrigued by this Simmons heel turn, has done a world of good for his character. You’re quietly building him back up into the Main Event sce.e

WCW Tag Team Titles: Hollywood Blonds (Steve Austin & Brian Pillman) (c) vs. Sting & Ricky Steamboat
    The Hollywood Blondes are just too good right now. Sting and Steamboat don’t need the titles, the Blondes might be my #2 favorite thing behind Vader in this BTB. Somewhere The Nasty Boys are waiting to kick Austin & Pillman's asses, so excited to see how they play into the tag division.

Bull-Rope Match for the WCW United States Heavyweight Title: Paul Orndorff (c) vs. Dustin Rhodes
    Rhodes picks the Bull Rope stipulation, the one he feels most at home with. I see a title change here.

As much as I’d love a Sid vs. Vader headline for Starrcade, if you are still using real life parameters, pretty soon Sid attempts to take out Arn for real. Plus your build for Flair has been great so far.

Texas Death Match for the WCW Heavyweight Title: Big Van Vader (c) vs. Cactus Jack
    Vader is slowly turning into my favorite BTB character on here. Kudos to you for your excellent booking of him. I’m really excited to read this one, should be an all out brawl.

Another month down, another great read my friend. This is one of the best BTB’s on here right now. My only negative would be that we are almost all the way through 1993, one of my favorite years in WCW. Tony Schiavone has stated in the past that he believed Halloween Havoc was WCW’s version of Wrestlemania, and you have solid booking and a stacked card for it. Good luck with this.

PS: Awesome video. Loved every second of it!

WWF-1991 and Beyond- "The Perfect Summer" is now complete. What's next?
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=169069

Walking with Japan

Status

Halloween Havoc 1993
    Shocked that Scotty won the title. That said, it finally makes him look like more of a threat, as opposed to the lower level heel he'd been seen as. Now - albeit with help - he's proven he can get the job done, one way or another. I see Scorpio and Benoit picking up the win here, before the eventual rematch for Scorpio - though for a moment, I was tempted to say Scotty and van Hammer, with Hammer being the one to get the job done, carrying Flamingo to victory. Faces win is my prediction.

Usually, I'd go for the full time team over the makeshift duo, but Davey has been such a huge part of the main event picture, I don't think he should be losing. Feels like a set up though for Regal to gain some sort of revenge for the one minute squash by double crossing Smith ... but I'll go against the grain. Someway or another, Smith and Regal prevail.

via Manslaughter.

WCW Tag Team Titles:Hollywood Blonds (Steve Austin & Brian Pillman) (c) vs. Sting & Ricky Steamboat
    Screwy finish coming. Shane Douglas costs Sting and Steamboat, just as it appears the Blondes are about to be vanquished.

I think a face needs to win one of these 'winners choice' matches from War Games, and Rhodes feels like the only one that can viably win. Plus, it would be a nice homage to his old man by winning the belt back in a Bullrope Match.

Obviously it would make most sense for Flair to win, right? I'm going for the curveball, and Sid to go over, thanks to interference from Rude, and for you to have to scramble in the aftermath of the 'scissor' incident that's right around the corner to crown a new #1 Contender. A wild prediction, granted, especially with Rude maybe wanting to clip Sids wings here rather than help him after Sids outburst ... but I'm going for it.

Interesting match. Vader hasn't been pinned throughout this thread, and now not only does he have to be pinned, but kept down too. Valiantly, Jack will bring the fight, and I'm guessing we'll get one big near finish where Jack gets the glory of pinning Vader, but Vader ends up beating the count, and eventually beating Jack. Vader moves on to Starrcade to face ... who knows?

Mid-Card Champion

Status

As always, looking forward to the show mate.

I enjoy the way it feels like since this thread started your mid card has come full circle. Flamingo has always sort of been lurking around and now he has the belt. Benoit and Scorpio were bitter enemies but now they have that respect. Really good times to look back and see what has developed. The idea of Flamingo winning due to interference without realising it is a fun angle, and it seems like it is just beginning based on how he won the title. I expect the same thing to happen here which will allow him to pick up another victory. I feel it will seem weird if it just happened that one time and was never addresses.

Regal's booking continues to be a massive question mark for me. Even here, just randomly having a match booked because Davey got attacked one night, it feels a little rushed and very out of nowhere. I don't know, we'll have to wait and see what happens, but unless they are making a run for tag titles, a makeshift team should not be allowed to beat a legitimate tag team like Harlem Heat.

LOL at Wolfy's via manslaughter. But that sounds about right. Badd will make his big, triumphant revenge run, only to be squashed by Big Ron. Also, I'm on the same page with you regarding Badd. I always thought he was a solid mid carder.

WCW Tag Team Titles:Hollywood Blonds (Steve Austin & Brian Pillman) (c) vs. Sting & Ricky Steamboat
    The Hollywood Blonds and Sting match was always going to happen once Sting's team won War Games. The further delay of Cactus keeps things interesting here as well, and with Shane Douglas disagreeing with Ricky, I'd expect his interference to cost Steamboat. Also intrigued to see if The Nasty's make an appearance.

I wasn't sure who to choose in this one initially but I read Wolfy's predictions and it makes sense to go with Rhodes. The other War Games winners do seem to be in impossible to win situations, and it would be nice to see a face win. Not only that, but it feels as if with Roma constantly being beaten up, Rhodes is finally going to give Orndorff his comeuppance. It has been booked that way.

This match is well booked because after the interference last month, Flair has legitimate heat with Sid, and it continues to stall Rude/Flair finale for Starrcade. With Rude and Sid having some issues in the build up, I expect no help for Sid which means Flair wins. From there, Rude can cost Flair on the road to Starrcade to make the final encounter happen.

The challenger has been booked TREMENDOUSLY since the beginning of this thread. For awhile now, it has felt like Cactus is the man to unseat Vader from his throne. Whilst it won't happen, you've made it a believable possibility and you deserve to be commended for that. With that out of the way, Vader's title reign is only ending at Starrcade. Vader DESTROYS Jack in a BRUTAL affair.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Episode Twelve: Halloween Havoc 1993

Scotty Flamingo & Van Hammer w/ Diamond Dallas Page vs. Chris Benoit & 2 Cold Scorpio

The babyfaces, angry at the way Flamingo stole the TV Title, dominate much of the early going, until their intensity causes them to slip up. From there, the heels isolate Benoit, with Van Hammer doing the heavy lifting and Scotty jumping in whenever they have the advantage, and tagging back out when they don't. That counts for little, though, when Scorpio pins the TV Champion with the 450 after eleven minutes.

As with their previous match at Fall brawl, the perpetually angry Simmons dominates his fabulous opponent, with Badd forced to fight from underneath throughout. Simmons seems to have learned his lesson from their previous match and doesn't give Badd an opportunity to sneak out a win, and takes the victory himself when he removes Badd's mask and punches his broken nose, stunning him long enough to hit the Spinning Side Slam for the victory after seven minutes.

Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) vs. Davey Boy Smith & Lord Steven Regal
    From the opening bell, Regal rushes in and throws everything he has at the Heat, desperate to prove his worth to his compatriot on the apron. He works his way through them far better than you'd expect, only for the Heat's natural teamworking ability to shine through, cutting Regal off from his more decorated partner. Regal, instinctively cowardly, initially considers simply running away and leaving Davey on his own, but eventually thinks better of it, and returns to the ring to take his beating like a man.

And therein lies the contradictions within Lord Steven Regal. He's part pompous coward, part hardy street fighter, and he uses the latter to battle back in to the contest and tag in Davey, who barrels in to the ring, running through the rookie tag team. He seems to have the match won, only for Stevie Ray to distract the referee while Booker low blows Smith. He then tosses him brass knux... but Regal intercepts! He puts on the knux and nails Booker in the face! Booker staggers back... in to a Powerslam! The Brits take an unlikely win in a little over ten minutes, with Regal taking his beating and helping Davey pick up the win. Is he a changed man after all?

Bull-Rope Match for the WCW United States Heavyweight Title: Paul Orndorff (c) w/ Harley Race vs. Dustin Rhodes
    Dustin has been waiting three months for this shot at winning his belt back, and gets it in his father's speciality match. Given the Rhodes' familiarity with Bull-Rope matches, and given Dustin's desperation to win the title, he starts like a man possessed, forcing Orndorff to cower away for much of the match. It's only, you guessed it, Harley Race's interference that keeps the champion in the match.

With the end drawing close, Dustin picks up the momentum and sends Orndorff sprawling. He grabs the cowbell in the middle of the rope and lines up for the champion when Harley Race climbs in to the ring... so Dustin clouts Race with the bell! But Orndorff sneaks up behind... Roll Up! 1... 2... NO! Dustin kicked out! Orndorff can't believe it! He takes the cowbell and lines up the shot... but Dustin kicks him in the gut! He grabs the cowbell... and nails Orndorff right between the eyes! He makes the cover... 1... 2... 3! Dustin Rhodes wins back his United States Heavyweight Title after fourteen brutal minutes.

Now this is the stuff. If you can think of a more entertaining combination than the heel Blonds picking off babyface-in-peril Ricky Steamboat as Sting waits on the apron, I'll eat my shoes. The Blonds use every shenanigan in the book to beat on Steamboat for almost fifteen minutes, with the Dragon doing everything he can to somehow stay in the contest. Each time he gets close to Sting, the Blonds somehow manage to swing things back towards them.

Luckily for the babyfaces, Steamboat is about as resilient as they come. When Austin looks for a Stungun, Steamboat slips out and nails a Dropkick! He crawls to Sting... only for Pillman to pull Sting off the apron! Pillman then pulls out a set of handcuffs, just as he's done in their previous contests, and looks to lock Sting on the barrier... but Sting fights him off! There won't be any handcuffs in this one!

Sting climbs back on to the apron as Austin desperately tries to hold The Dragon away from his corner... but Steamboat leaps through the air and makes the tag! Sting, finally, gets the Blonds in the ring in a WCW Tag Title match. Austin and Pillman throw everything they have at Sting, but he repels every attack they can offer. With the champions teetering, Sting tags Steamboat in, only for Austin to hit a low blow on the Stinger! Steamboat climbs to the top... but here comes Shane Douglas! He grabs Steamboat's foot, but Steamboat kicks him away! He leaps off the top rope in to a Flying Crossbody, but the brief distraction allowed Pillman to recover, and he rolls through with a hand full of tights to retain the belts after twenty-three minutes.

The fans are deflated as the Blonds hug on the mat, somehow having overcome the odds yet again. Shane Douglas walks back up the ramp, laughing manically at his part in stopping The Dragon from winning the gold.

Steamboat and Sting stare at each other in disbelief, unable to comprehend just how they didn't win the titles. Before they can work it out, Austin meets Sting with a boot to the face, and drags him to the ropes, and this time they do handcuff him. He tells Sting to watch what they're going to do to his little buddy Steamboat... when the Nasty Boys run down to the ring and chase them off. Will the Nasty Boys finally get their shot? Or will Sting finally find the right partner?

Number One Contender Match: Sid Vicious w/Rick Rude & Missy Hyatt vs. Ric Flair w/Arn Anderson
    You like Flair fighting from underneath? Then you'll love this one. Sid dominates as only a seven-foot psychopath can, and were it not for Flair's experience and dirty tricks, the match would be over in a couple of minutes. Arn does his bit to keep Rude or Missy from interfering, but that does little to help Ric in the ring. Slowly but surely, Sid uses his huge size and strength advantage to ground the nature Boy down.

But you know Naitch. If there's one thing he can do, it's hang on until he has an opportunity to strike. And that's exactly what he does, as he rakes his eyes out of a Chokeslam attempt and fires off chops... to a no-sell from Sid. Clearly that wasn't dirty enough, so Flair pokes the referee in the eye! The ref clutches at his eyes, allowing Flair to hit a Low Blow on Sid... and another... and another... and another! Sid STILL stays on his feet, so Ric stomps on his foot, rakes his eye again, and hits ANOTHER low blow... and Sid goes down!

Rude, on the outside and growing panicked, grabs a chair from by the announce table. Arn grabs it, trying to stop him from interfering... but Rude pushes him back down! He gets in the ring and swings for Flair... and nails Sid! Arn dives in and tackles Rude out of the ring, allowing Flair to make the pin and pick up the victory after twelve minutes. It may have taken every dirty trick in the book to overcome the giant, but Flair is the Number One Contender at last!

How do you follow that? With two of the stiffest, most violent, brutal monsters you've ever seen. As with their previous encounters, Jack gives it everything he has, but Vader dominates, even without his injured manager. He always does.

But Jack can stay in a fight better than most. The match begins to resemble their war at Clash of the Champions, with the monstrous champion unable to keep his challenger down for long enough to get the pin, let alone the ten-count. Jack continues to rally despite everything Vader throws at him, and even manages to fire back with a DDT out of nowhere.

Vader, however, no sells, and nails Jack with a Powerbomb for the three-count. But in a Texas Death Match, you need to keep our opponent down for ten after a pinfall. And Jack makes it up at six.

Vader hits him with another Powerbomb. Another three-count. Jack gets up at seven.

Another Powerbomb, and... no! Jack slips out and DDTs Vader again! He grabs a steel chair from the outside and nails Vader with another DDT, this time on to the chair... and gets the three-count! Cactus Jack has actually pinned Vader!

But Vader needs to stay down for another ten seconds after the pin. Unfortunately for Jack, Vader's up at four. And man does he look pissed.

Jack, exhausted at what it took to keep Vader down for a three-count, succumbs to an almighty beating in the centre of the ring. Vader hits him with another Powerbomb, but doesn't even try for a pinfall. Instead he drags Jack to the outside, rips up the protective mats as he did at the Clash, and destroys Jack with another brutal Powerbomb on to the concrete. He takes the pinfall, and leans against the apron as the referee finally counts to ten. Big Van Vader finally puts Cactus Jack out of his misery to retain in seventeen ungodly minutes.

Harley Race returns to ringside
    with a black eye to lead Vader to the back. Just like when Jack was last Powerbombed on the concrete by Vader, they watch from a distance with smug satisfaction, as the EMTs try to load Jack on to a stretcher. But somehow, someway, Cactus pushes them away, and insists on hobbling to the back under his own steam, without the assistance of the medical personnel. As he shuffles to the back, he's given a well-deserved standing ovation by those in attendance.

Last edited by Keefah Al-Moon; 05-07-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Walking with Japan

Status

Have to say, for me, this was my favourite show yet in the thread. That Cactus/Vader main event read brilliantly to me, and gave me a feel that we were seeing something truly memorable. Glad that Cactus got a pin on Vader, as despite losing, he has the distinction of being the man that managed to pin Vader. Added to the fact that he kept coming back for more, Cactus Jack looked like a true star coming out of this, even in losing clean, he gains so much in the eyes of the viewers by pushing Vader to the limit. Him also managing to walk out rather than be stretchered out was bad ass.

I’ve really no complaints over anything that you booked here on this show. Everything made sense, nothing felt out of place. Dustin reclaiming the U.S title was the right move imo, paying homage to his old man, Scorpio showing he’s clearly better than Scotty sets up the eventual rematch for that belt, and the Davey/Regal dynamic sure feels interesting to say the least - Regal intercepting the Knucks was a really nice touch. Feels right seeing Regal use them

Bit disappointed there wasn’t any manslaughter on this show though, lol. Going forward, I expect Simmons to re-emerge as a force here. Maybe even as a challenger for Dustin, depending on what happens with Rhodes and Roma.

Curious how you’ll get to Vader vs Flair at Starrcade and differentiate it from their real life meeting at the show, as that match and angle in general I feel was masterful in itself. Very interested to see how you build toward it in this sphere.

On any other night, the tag title match would’ve been the match of the night obviously. Steamboat and Sting are an obvious dream team, for the reasons you stated yourself. Glad that Sting didn’t succumb to the handcuff trick again, and you’d assume we were getting new champions after the cuffs backfired. Finish naturally sets up another Douglas/Steamboat match, and Sting goes on the lookout for a new partner. Found the save from the Nasties to be rather odd, but I’ll refrain from casting judgement until the situation shakes out.

Just Justice

Status

Hey mate, That's me just got through reading the full thread, I have to say this is fuckin banging man. Just gonna leave my thoughts on Halloween Havoc and really this whole thing all together.

I really enjoy your writing style, like how you write the matches and how you give us enough of a description of the match, but you don't really go over the entire match. Quite a few threads have appeared where it's just the finish of the match and the result, but you give us something to chew on without getting into detail when you don't necessarily have to (Eg: Ron Simmons vs Johnny B. Badd). Although since Starrcade's coming up, I personally would like to see a little more detail with the undercard stuff on that show.

Vader and Cactus Jack have been two highlights for me, Super Vader is fuckin great in this and as an early prediction, I think he'll retain at Starrcade. He's so good and he should've had a much better career post 1994, I hope you do him justice Cactus Jack as well, christ man you've got him DOWN. It's going to be interesting to see where he goes now, as I assume the Nasties will be facing The Blonds, so maybe we'll get Sting vs Jack?

Although it's just starting out, I can tell I'm going to adore Regal and Davey Boy as this continues. I'm a massive Regal fan, and seeing how much you like him throughout the thread, I'm looking forward to seeing him grow.

I'm going to try comment more on this, keep up the good work mate!
    Last edited by Jackie Polo; 05-09-2018 at 05:19 PM.

UWFi: Shooting From The Hip-BTB Section

Chikara Trainee

Status

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. Jack and Vader have been a blast to write, so glad people are enjoying their progression as well.

Flair v. Vader is a tough one, because it's the one thing WCW really did right around this period. It wasn't booked as well as it could have been, but I LOVE that match, and the dynamic of the out-of-his-depth Flair against the unbeatable monster, at the biggest show of the year. I hope I do it justice with the huge twists to reality I'm throwing in.

Anyway, the next set of shows are going to take a while to write, so wanted to get this out there now so I can start cracking through them. Hope you enjoy!

Episode Thirteen: The Road to Clash of the Champions XXV and the Gene Anderson Memorial Cup

Yeah, you read that right. We're building to a Double Header!

The big news coming out of Halloween Havoc is we have our champion and number one contender for the World Title at Starrcade. The seemingly-unbeatable monster, Big Van Vader, will defend his Undisputed World Title against the one and only Ric Flair, at the 10th anniversary of the biggest event in wrestling.

Going in to Clash of the Champions XXV, Ric Flair and Big Van Vader will meet in the centre of the ring and sign the contract for the biggest main event in WCW history.

But that's not for two months' time. Before then, we have the death of Battlebowl. The annual pointless random tag team tournament PPV has been discarded alongside Erik Watts' career, and in its place, we will have the Gene Anderson Memorial Cup. The event, named after the legendary six-time NWA World Tag Team Champion who died last year (1992), will see sixteen teams fight for a trophy and $100,000 CASH!

The teams fall in to one of a few groups:

• WCW regulars, like Hollywood Blonds, Harlem Heat, Texas Hangmen, Diamond Mine, and, ahem, Thunder & Lightning
    • Super teams like Ric Flair & Arn Anderson, Sting and his newest partner (to be announced), Big Van Vader & Paul Orndorff, Ricky Steamboat & the new United States Heavyweight Champion Dustin Rhodes, 2 Cold Scorpio & Chris Benoit, Johnny B Badd & Rick Rude, Davey Boy Smith & Lord Steven Regal, and Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Tom Zenk
    • Returning teams, like Doom, Rock 'n' Roll Express and Midnight Express

Originally, the Nasty Boys were of course a part of the line-up. Unfortunately for them, their hatred for the Hollywood Blonds cost them a spot, when they tried to take out the Blonds one too many times and had their place stripped from the tournament.

On WCW Saturday Night, we saw Ric Flair and Arn Anderson move past Thunder & Lightning, Ricky Steamboat & Dustin Rhodes beat Texas Hangmen, Tom Zenk & Marcus Alexander Bagwell upset Harlem Heat, and the team of champions Big Van Vader & Paul Orndorff bested Rick Rude and Johnny B Badd when Rude immediately bailed on the match, leaving Badd alone to take the loss. Another three first round matches will take place at the Clash,all including the returning teams of the Midnight Express, Doom andthe Rock 'n' Roll Express!

So what of the final First Round match? We're yet to hear who Sting will select as his partner, but have heard he will announce it at Clash of the Champions. Their First Round match will be against Van Hammer and Scotty Flamingo, and will take place after the Clash on WCW Saturday Night.

One man who will not be taking part in the G.A.M. Cup is Shane Douglas. He announced during an interview that he has no interest in finding a partner, as every one he has had has held him back. Instead, his focus is entirely on one of those former partners, Ricky Steamboat. After costing Steamboat a shot at the Tag Titles at Halloween Havoc, Steamboat and Douglas will face off one more time at Clash of the Champions in the match type they cost their Tag Team Titles earlier in the year... IN A STEEL CAGE!

It's been quite the month for Dustin Rhodes. Not only is he progressing in the G.A.M. Cup, he also won back his WCW United States Heavyweight Title in his father's speciality match at Halloween Havoc. The match wasn't without controversy, however. With the match coming to a close, the former champion Paul Orndorff's manager Harley Race entered the ring, only to be hit with a cowbell by Dustin.

Race, so infuriated at what he perceived to be an unprovoked attack, announced that he would come out of retirement for one final match, where he personally would take on Dustin for the US Title, and would end his career while he's at it.

But the build hasn't all been smooth sailing, unfortunately. During a tour of the UK, well... you know the story. It involves Arn Anderson, Sid Vicious, and a pair of scissors. Sid is immediately fired, meaning the Sid/Rick Rude angle that was being built and was going to be paid off with a babyface Sid going over at Starrcade is cancelled.

But, hey, we still have a show or three to put on before the end of the year. Let's get to the first two of them, shall we?

Clash of the Champions XXV Card

WCW Television Title: Scotty Flamingo (c) vs. Brad Armstrong

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Round 1: Doom vs. Lord Steven Regal & Davey Boy Smith

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Round 1: Midnight Express vs. Chris Benoit & 2 Cold Scorpio

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Round 1
    : Hollywood Blonds vs. Rock 'n' Roll Express

WCW United States Heavyweight Title: Harley Race vs. Dustin Rhodes (c)

Steel Cage Match: Shane Douglas vs. Ricky Steamboat

Plus Big Van Vader & Ric Flair sign their Starrcade contract!

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Card

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup
    Quarter Final: Big Van Vader & Paul Orndorff vs. Tom Zenk & Marcus Alexander Bagwell

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Quarter Final: Hollywood Blonds or Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. Ric Flair & Arn Anderson

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Quarter Final: Midnight Express or Chris Benoit & 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Ricky Steamboat & Dustin Rhodes

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Quarter Final: Doom or Davey Boy Smith & Lord Steven Regal vs. Van Hammer & Scotty Flamingo or Sting & His Partner

Plus... the Semi Finals & Final!

Any thoughts on who might be progressing or even winning the Gene Anderson Memorial Cup are of course encouraged!

Chikara Trainee

Status

I assume this is a stop gap match ahead of the rematch between 2 Cold Scorpio and Scotty so Flamingo will retain the TV Title here

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Round 1: Doom vs. Lord Steven Regal & Davey Boy Smith
    Given that I had to look Doom up, I am going with national pride in this match, with Regal and Davey Boy for the win

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Round 1: Midnight Express vs. Chris Benoit & 2 Cold Scorpio
    Chris Benoit and 2 Cold Scorpio, riding that momentum from earlier in the year makes me believe that they will triumph here

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Round 1: Hollywood Blonds vs. Rock 'n' Roll Express
    Austin and Pillman to get the win over the big name team

Same as the previous match, I believe that Rhodes will get the win over the more famous name to cement his own legacy

Douglas and Steamboat will have a war here with Douglas winning the match

Plus Big Van Vader & Ric Flair sign their Starrcade contract!
    Given the nature of contract signings in wrestling, I can only assume that Vader will power bomb Flair through the table after the contract is signed

-----

Just Justice

Status

Winner

Not really sure who Brad Armstrong is, but I know Raven, so YASS!

I'm predicting Regal and Davey Boy to win the whole thing. Yeah I'm bias, but fuck it, for the sake of this BTB I'll be a hardcore Brit.

This was a tough one, but I think you've got to go with at least one returning team. Scotty will interfere and cost Benoit and Scorpio the match.

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Round 1
    : Hollywood Blonds vs. Rock 'n' Roll Express
    The Blonds are my prediction for who makes it to the finals, so natually it'd mean they win here.

PLOT TWIST: The match doesn't get started, due to interference by a new Harley Race client, meaning the match is a no contest. I man Harley's health about this time wasn't exactly ring worthy.

This one is HARD, but I feel like you're gonna put The Franchise over. As much as I can't stand Shane, I feel he's gonna get the big win here, and the two of them will have one last match at Starrcade.

UWFi: Shooting From The Hip-BTB Section

Chikara Trainee

Status

Episode Fourteen: Clash of the Champions XXV and the Gene Anderson Memorial Cup

Clash of the Champions XXV

Benoit &
    Scorp sure have come a long way from their rivalry earlier in the year. They team with the fluidity you'd expect from a team with a decade's experience, not a couple of months, but they're in there with the Midnights. That's what real fluidity looks like. Still, the scrappy young babyfaces hang in there for longer than you'd expect, right up until the Diamond Mine, who have been feuding with the youngsters, interfere, handing the victory to the Midnight Express from a roll-up in ten minutes.

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Match

Harley Race vs. Dustin Rhodes (c)

It's a match few would have thought would happen. Harley Race is back out of retirement for one final match, and is looking for the United States Title while he's at it.

Except, he isn't. Dustin allows him a few early shots, a mistake with someone as legendary as Harley Race. Race takes the opportunity to ground the youngster down, only for Dustin to use some of his father's infamous fire to battle back. It's at that point that Race's real intentions become apparent. As Dustin throws rights in the corner, Paul Orndorff slides in to the ring and nails him with the title belt for the disqualification in five minutes.

Race and Orndorff take the chance to beat the champion down after the bell. Race places the belt on the mat, allowing Orndorff to look for another Piledriver on to it... only for Ricky Steamboat to rush out and save his G.A.M. Cup tag partner! Race and Orndorff flee to the back, leaving Steamboat alone to tend to Rhodes.

WAIT! We're not finished in the ring! Just as the camera cuts to the back, we immediately cut to the ring where Shane Douglas appears out of nowhere and Clotheslines Steamboat to the mat! Steamboat struggles to his feet as Douglas grabs the
    ringbell... and crushes it in to Steamboat's face! Steamboat's face is a crimson mask, and they still have their cage match later tonight!

After weeks of trying to convince Davey Boy that he's a changed man, Steven Regal starts the match off with Doom. They immediately dominate him, so he tags out, and walks to the back, leaving Smith on his own. Davey can barely believe what he's seeing, but stays to fight alone. He takes Doom further than one man should be able to, but is finally picked off after five minutes when Simmons hits a Shuolder Tackle and Doom progress to the Quarter Finals.

WCW Television Title: Scotty Flamingo (c) w/Diamond Mine vs. Brad Armstrong

Before the bell rings, Chris Benoit and Scorpio come out to ringside to back up Brad against the Diamond Mine. This keeps the match closer than predicted, with Brad almost taking the win, until a brawl erupts at ringside after seven minutes between the Mine and their rivals. That distraction allows Scotty to roll up Brad to retain the gold.

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Round 1: WCW Tag Team Champions Hollywood Blonds vs. Rock 'n' Roll Express

You ever seen a Rock 'n' Roll Express match? Then you know what to expect here. The veterans dominate the early proceedings, until the Blonds use their usual shenanigans to isolate and pound on Ricky Morton. And continue to pound on him. Over and over. They even try for their usual handcuff trick, only to realise that their cuffs had gone missing... Morton looks for the opportunity to tag out, but every time he does he is foiled by the devious Tag Champions. For the best part of fifteen minutes. He finally makes it and the rested Robert Gibson takes over, and looks set to win until Austin uses a previously-exposed turnbuckle to knock him out and grab the undeserved win in eighteen epic minutes.

The champs may have won, but they were taken further than they thought they should be, and as such look for the needless revenge. They start to pound on the veterans until Sting runs down to chase them off. Sting grabs a microphone and says he's spent over six months looking for the right partner to beat the Blonds. He's picked good people too, like Ron Simmons and Ricky Steamboat. But he was going about this the wrong way. If Blonds want to play dirty, if they want to take things to the extreme, then he needs to find the dirtiest, most extreme person out there to take them on. So his partner for the Gene Anderson Memorial Cup is... Cactus Jack!

With Douglas already in the ring and trapped within the steel structure, Steamboat sprints down to the ring, his head heavily bandaged from Douglas' earlier assault, and beats the hell out Shane Douglas!

The Dragon isn't at 100%, however, and a timely low blow from Douglas quickly swings the momentum back in his favour. He pulls Steamboat's bloody bandage from his head and propels him in to the cage, and shreds his torn skin against the unforgiving steel.

The fans in attendance start to fear the worst as Steamboat has no answer for Douglas' savage attack. But, with blood pouring down his face, Steamboat starts to fire back with a series of chops, giving everything he has to come back in to the contest. Douglas tries to battle back, but the momentum is swinging against his will... so Steamboat throws Douglas in to the cage! And again! And he grates his forehead against the steel... and Douglas is busted open as well!

The youngster crawls around the mat, pawing at his bloody head, as Steamboat climbs to the top rope, then up to the top of the cage... DIVING CROSSBODY OFF THE CAGE! Steamboat makes the cover and finally gets an element of revenge after sixteen brutal minutes.

WCW World Heavyweight Title Contract Signing for
    Starrcade

With the cage taken apart and a table set up, Harley Race comes alone to the ring, followed by the challenger, Ric Flair. Race explains that he'll be signing the contract on Vader's behalf. Except, he won't. He's changed their mind, and Vader agrees with his mentors instructions.

You see, Race doesn't recognise Flair as the real number one contender, and as such, won't sign the contract unless some serious changes are made. Namely, Flair has to put his career on the line to get the match. Flair is reluctant, and says that as much as the title means to him, no one match is worth his career. The answer is no.

And with that, Race loses his composure, and the reason for the career-stipulation comes to light. Race says that this is ten years since the first
    Starrcade. "A Flair for the gold," they called it. In the main event of that show, the Nature Boy won the World Title from a certain Harley Race. Race's career was the never the same. He's spent ten years looking for the opportunity for revenge. Back then, Flair was the youngster up against the veteran. Now, Flair is the veteran, and Race is the manager of the young, hungry star. But this is no ordinary star. This is Big Van Vader. He's been the champion for a year. He's unbeatable. And he is exactly the man to end Flair's career.

Again, Ric says no.

Race says he expected as much, and so came up with a backup plan. With that, Big Van Vader and Paul Orndorff drag a bloodied and battered Arn Anderson out from the back.Flair stares on in shock, allowing Race to use the Hollywood
    Blonds' stolen handcuffs to tie him to the ropes.Flair struggles, but there is little he can do as Race's charges bring Ric's best friend to the ring and systematically destroy him.

Flair begs for mercy, until he finally relents and agrees to put his career on the line at Starrcade. Vader and Flair sign the contract,and Vader knocks Flair out with a single punch for emphasis as we fade to black.

Following the Clash, Cactus Jack and Sting teamed to face Van Hammer and Scotty Flamingo.They dominated the match, only for Scotty to look to attack Sting with his TV Title.Luckily for Sting, Benoit and Scorpio stole the title away from him before he could swing, allowing Sting to hit the DDT and pick up the win.

So, to recap, the first round of the Gene Anderson Memorial Cup looked like this:

Midnight Express def Benoit & Scorpio

Hollywood Blonds def Rock 'n' Roll Express

Arn Anderson & Ric Flair def Thunder & Lightning

Big Van Vader & Paul Orndorff def Rick Rude & Johnny B Badd

Doom def Lord Steven Regal & Davey Boy Smith

Sting & Cactus Jack def Van Hammer & Scotty Flamingo

Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat def Texas Hangmen

Tom Zenk & Marcus Alexander Bagwell def Harlem Heat

That leads us nicely in to the Gene Anderson Memorial Cup, LIVE on pay-per-view!

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Quarter Final: Midnight Express vs. Ricky Steamboat & Dustin Rhode
    s

In a match reminiscent of the Midnights vs. Rock 'n' Rolls classic, the heels dominate Steamboat until he's able to make the hot tag to Dustin. From there, the faces team up to divide the heels, and win after thirteen minutes with a Steamboat roll-up.

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Quarter Final: WCW Tag Team Champions Hollywood Blonds vs. Ric Flair

With Arn Anderson out of action following Vader and Orndorff's brutal attack, Flair is left to go alone against the dastardly champions. He holds his own better than anyone should be capable of, because, you know, he's Ric Flair. He actually gathers some momentum, only for Big Van Vader to interfere after nine minutes to take Flair out behind the referee's back, allowing
    Pillman to hit the Springboard Clothesline for the cheap win.

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Quarter Final: Big Van Vader & Paul Orndorff vs. Tom Zenk & Marcus Alexander Bagwell

Zenk & Bagwell have done well to get this far, but this is a bridge too far for them. Vader completely dominates without even tagging Orndorff in, and picks up the win with a Powerbomb in five minutes.

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Quarter Final: Doom vs. Sting & Cactus Jack

This was, as a certain announcer might call it, a slobber knocker. Unfortunately for us, that certain announcer was fired from WCW at the start of the year for reasons impossible to understand, and will now be the voice of the opposition for the next twenty years. Good going, WCW! Sting hits the Scorpion Drop, allowing he and Jack to win this brutal contest in ten minutes after I've used up my word count talking about Jim Ross.

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Semi Final: Big Van Vader & Paul Orndorff w/ Harley Race vs. Ricky Steamboat & Dustin Rhodes

Steamboat and Rhodes certainly put up more of a fight than Zenk and Bagwell in the Quarter Finals. But with a match that lasted ten minutes less, and with Paul Orndorff not even entering the ring in the previous match, the heels dominate as you'd expect. This time it's Dustin isolated from his partner, and despite Steamboat finally getting in to the ring, Paul Orndorff is able to nail the Piledriver on the US Champion and pick up the win for his team as they progress to the final in sixteen hard-fought minutes.

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Semi Final: WCW Tag Team Champions The Hollywood Blonds vs. Sting & Cactus Jack

The Blonds didn't see this coming. After six months of looking for the right partner, Sting finally gets his first serious offence over the Tag Champions. The Blonds try to isolate Jack, just as they have every other partner Sting has brought again them. But this time it's in vain. No matter what they bring, Jack somehow comes back harder and faster. Every trick they try, he comes back more violent than before. After eight minutes, the Blonds see the writing on the wall and, instead of risking a clean loss, walk away to be counted out, with Sting and Jack progressing to the final.

The have barely been announced as the winners when Big Van Vader and Paul Orndorff jump them from behind,and we immediately move in to the Finals.

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup Final: Big Van Vader & Paul Orndorff w/ Harley Race vs. Sting & Cactus Jack

Six months ago, these four men faced off in the main event of
    Slamboree. And here they are again, Jack and Sting finally willing partners, looking to take home the first ever Gene Anderson Memorial Cup. Vader and Orndorff, somewhat more rested than their opponents, find an opportunity when Jack's overzealous need for revenge causes him to trip up. The heels beat on him, but as always with Cactus, it'll take more than that to keep him down.

He finally manages to tag in Sting, and it's pandemonium in the main event! Harley Race interferes, giving the momentum back to Vader, only for Ric Flair to hobble down to the ring to get him some of the World Champion! We get a preview of
    Starrcade early as Vader and Flair brawl to the back, leaving Orndorff alone with Jack and Sting. The former US Champion puts up little fight as Sting and Cactus Jack hit stereo DDTs to win the first ever Gene Anderson Memorial Cup in seventeen minutes.

With one show left of 1993 that can only mean one thing – the biggest event of the year...
    Starrcade!

Chikara Trainee

Status

Episode Fifteen: The Road to Starrcade 1993

The Big Van Vader and Ric Flair feud threatens to boil over. Vader has been the World Champion for almost a full year. He unified the WCW and NWA World Titles. He hasn't lost a singles match in over a year.

But he's not just up against anyone. This is Ric Flair we're talking about. The Nature Boy. He's been back in WCW since the start of the year, and has overcome every obstacle that has been thrown his way en-route to the title match. And here he is, ten years since winning his second world title at Starrcade 1983, a Flair for the Gold, where he beat Vader's manager Harley Race. For the first time ever, Ric Flair and Big Van Vader will face off one-on-one.

But this is about so much more than the title. Race insisted that Ric Flair put his career on the line to get the title shot, and to ensure he did, had Ric's best friend Arn Anderson brutalised by his charges. That was followed by both men screwing each other out of victory in the Gene Anderson Memorial Cup. It all comes to a head at the biggest event in WCW history. It doesn't get any more personal than this.

But, of course, that's not the only title on the line at Starrcade. Sting has spent seven months looking for the perfect partner to take the Hollywood Blonds' WCW Tag Team Titles. It turns out that partner was there from the start. After his performance in War Games Sting finally selects Cactus Jack, and together they won the Gene Anderson Memorial Cup, and challenge the Blonds to a title match at Starrcade under Falls Count Anywhere rules.

The Blonds try to use the trophy ceremony to sneak attack Jack, but their plan fails when Cactus recovers quicker than they expected and fights them off single-handedly. Is this the night that the Hollywood Blonds finally meet their match?

One pairing looking strong as of late are Ricky Steamboat and Dustin Rhodes. Having made it to the Semi Final of the G.A.M. Cup, and having overcome their respective long-term partners recently, Ricky Steamboat challenges Dustin Rhodes to a US Title shot.

However, both men still find themselves in the crosshairs of those long-time rivals. Ricky Steamboat had thought he had vanquished Shane Douglas, but an assault during an interview on WCW Main Event would prove otherwise. Likewise, Dustin was the victim of a Harley Race trap when Paul Orndorff attacked him from behind at Clash of the Champions, and was then pinned by the former champion in the G.A.M. Cup.

The WCW management committee, seeing these issues showing little signs of slowing, come to a solution... but not the one the fans expected! At Starrcade, Ricky Steamboat will not face Shane Douglas, but Paul Orndorff. And Dustin Rhodes won't face Orndorff, but Shane Douglas.The winners of each match will progress to a United States Heavyweight Title match later that evening, meaning each party will have to earn another match against their most heated rival... if their rival even makes it to the title match!

A somewhat less successful team from the G.A.M. Cup were Rick Rude and Johnny B Badd. Badd wanted them to be the Pretty Boys, the two most handsome men in the company. However, in their first-round match of the tournament they came up against Orndorff and Vader, and Badd was destroyed without Rude even tagging in. Rude, ever the sportsman, helped his fallen team-mate to his feet, only to Clothesline him straight back down again.

With Rude's anticipated match with Sid Vicious in the trash after the scissors incident, it's announced that Rude and Badd will go at it at Starrcade. But with a twist – the two enemies agree that preserving their looks to be the most important thing, and therefore ban punches to the face in their contest. That's right, at Starrcade we'll see the first ever "Not The Face!" Match...

Meanwhile, after weeks of arranging underwhelming title defences, Scotty Flamingo is finally forced to defend his TV Title against the former champion 2 Cold Scorpio at WCW Saturday Night... under two out of three falls stipulation! But with a twist – if Scorpio loses, he can not get another shot as long as Flamingo is champion.

In the match, Scorpio easily picks up the first fall, only for Flamingo to trick the referee in to disqualifying Scorps in the second. And, of course, Diamond Dallas Page interferes in the final fall, handing the win to his client. Somehow, Scotty Flamingo stays champion.

But the story is only starting. The Diamond Mine beat down Scorpio, only for his friend Chris Benoit to make the save, and lay down the challenge to Flamingo.

The match is made – Scotty Flamingo versus Chris Benoit for the TV Title at Starrcade, but (you guessed it), with a twist. The Diamond Mine are banned from ringside, and if they appear, Scotty will be stripped of the title! And not only that, but Scorpio will finally get his hands on Diamond Dallas Page,in Page's first match in just over a year!

After walking out on Davey Boy Smith in the G.A.M Cup, Lord Steven Regal again became remorseful at his actions towards his fellow Englishmen. Unfortunately for him, Davey was feeling less forgiving than last time, and planted the Lord with a Powerslam. The stage was set for their rematch at Starrcade.

However, as was the case with Sid Vicious, Davey Boy left the company before the match could take place, following legal troubles from earlier in the year*, and leaving Regal without an opponent.

But as one leaves, another joins. December sees the arrival of Sensational Sherri! She comes to WCW looking for a new act to manage, and finds herself intrigued by the exciting but inexperienced tag team Harlem Heat. They've had limited success so far, so she promises to lead them to the top. But to do so, they'll first need to improve upon their First Round G.A.M. Cup loss to Marcus Alexander Bagwell and Tom Zenk.

You see, after months of aimless jobbing for the TV Title (hey, let's call it what it is), Bagwell & Zenk stumbled upon (relative) magic when they were paired in the GAM Cup and made it to the Quarter Finals. They decide to form a permanent tag team called the American Assassins. The Assassins and Harlem Heat will face off at Starrcade, but with the Heat being told that a loss will see them immediately cut loose by Sherri.

And with that, let's take us to biggest event of the year... Starrcade 1993!

Starrcade 1993 Card

Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) vs. American Assassins (Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Tom Zenk)

Diamond Dallas Page vs. 2 Cold Scorpio

The Diamond Mine Are Banned From Ringside - WCW Television Title
    : Scotty Flamingo (c) vs. Chris Benoit

Not The Face! Match
    : Rick Rude vs. Johnny B Badd

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Qualifying Match
    : Paul Orndorff vs. Ricky Steamboat

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Qualifying Match
    : Shane Douglas vs. Dustin Rhodes

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Match
    : Paul Orndorff or Ricky Steamboat vs. Shane Douglas or Dustin Rhodes

Falls Count Anywhere Match for the WCW Tag Team Titles:
    The Hollywood Blonds (c) (Steve Austin & Brian Pillman) vs. Sting & Cactus Jack

Title vs. Career for the WCW Heavyweight Title
    : Big Van Vader (c) vs. Ric Flair

* Yep, my rules come back to bite me again. In real life, Davey was arrested for a fight in a bar, and by the end of the year the legal issues left WCW little choice but to release him.

Last edited by Keefah Al-Moon; 05-21-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Thread Information