Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WCW: The Road To Competence

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WCW: The Road To Competence

Alright man, finally had some time to take a look at this after a long week of fantasy baseball and then Wrestlemania weekend.

First off, as you could expect, I like your format a lot. I believe summaries are great, and as long as you get the main point across, there is no need for the excess detail. You are able to do that quite nicely.

Also, pretty interesting that you are the head booker. I haven't seen too many BTB's (I haven't really been around that long on here) where you-the poster-came out and laid down the groundwork for the future. Pretty cool, I like it a lot.

Some quick notes on Slamboree-I love the Diamond Stable you got going on. Scotty, DDP, and Nash as a team could do big things, especially in 1993. You basically have a blank slate for these three, so I'm expecting a big push with them. Also a big fan of Vader. Hoping you do big things with him. Cactus Jack and Sting were an odd pairing but it worked just fine for your first event booking.

All in all, I am really looking forward to this project you have here. After reading what everyone on here has said about your past BTB, I googled it and man was it awesome. Hoping you stick around and build WCW 1993 into something better than real life-which you are on your way to doing right now.

COTC PREDICTIONS

Bobby Eaton

Vegas, Regal & Scotty

Benoit

Davey Boy Smith

Sid Vicious-Guy is a monster, if booked correctly could put on awesome matches- I'm a huge fan of Sid!

Surprising Eliminations-I sense a 4 Horsemen reunion, so I will say Arn and Flair team up, if that counts.

Who Will Survive Longer than Expected?- Shane Douglas- Another guy you can start booking correctly.

Who Will be Eliminated Earlier than Expected?- Tough to say, but if I had to pick I'd go Barry Windham.

WWF-1991 and Beyond- The Road to Survivor Series Begins!
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=169069

Squash Fodder

Status
      Country                    Europe

Quote Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
    After reading what everyone on here has said about your past BTB, I googled it and man was it awesome. Hoping you stick around and build WCW 1993 into something better than real life-which you are on your way to doing right now
    Ha, thanks my man. Very kind of you. That was a long time ago and this is a very different project, but glad to hear you liked it. I'm hoping once I get in to the swing of this I can do something even better!

Thanks to everyone for the predictions. Some right, some less so. Let's find out in...

Episode Four: A New Hope Clash of the Champions XXIII

Vinnie Vegas, Lord Steven Regal & Scotty Flamingo vs. 2 Cold Scorpio, Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Brad Armstrong
    The heels dominated much of the match, but the true momentum is only with one man right now. 2 Cold Scorpio picked up the win after ten minutes of exciting action with the ever-popular 450 Splash. Surely it can't be long before Scorpio gets his rematch with Benoit?

Bobby Eaton vs. Paul Roma
    Paul Roma hasn't exactly been on a hot streak lately, and that continued as Bobby Eaton schooled him en-route to pinning Roma after six minutes with a Diving Knee. And if you're getting schooled by Bobby Eaton in six minutes, something is going very wrong for you.

WCW TV Title: Chris Benoit (c) vs. Tom Zenk
    Chris Benoit has been a fighting champion ever since he won the belt at Slamboree. His in-ring viciousness keeps him a heel for now, but the fans will always respect someone good at their job and fighting all comers. Despite all his obvious skill, Benoit's inexperience almost costs him against Zenk in what is surely his toughest challenge yet, but Chris Benoit managed to hold on his TV Title with a Small Package after twelve minutes.

Non-Title: Barbarian vs. NWA World Heavyweight Champion Davey Boy Smith
    A squash. A hard-hitting one, but a squash none-the-less. Davey wins in less than five minutes with one of the most devastating moves in wrestling today, the Running Powerslam.

And then, the real reason we're here...

NWA World Heavyweight Title Number One Contender Battle Royal: Arn Anderson vs. Barry Windham vs. WCW Tag Team Champion Brian Pillman vs. Cactus Jack vs. WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Dustin Rhodes vs. Johnny B Badd vs. Paul Orndorff vs. Ric Flair vs. Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat vs. Ron Simmons vs. Shane Douglas vs. Sid Vicious vs. WCW Tag Team Champion Steve Austin vs. Sting
    Before the match can begin, the WCW World Champion Big Van Vader comes to the ring. Harley Race complains that this is supposed to be the Clash of the Champions, and yet the real World Champion isn't even on the show. So, with that in mind, he too will be joining the Battle Royal, and if anyone has a problem with that, they can tell Vader to his face. Unsurprisingly, no-one speaks up.

UPDATED!
    NWA World Heavyweight
    Title Number One Contender Battle Royal: Arn Anderson vs. Barry Windham vs. WCW Heavyweight Champion Big Van Vader vs. WCW Tag Team Champion Brian Pillman vs. Cactus Jack vs. WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Dustin Rhodes vs. Johnny B Badd vs. Paul Orndorff vs. Ric Flair vs. Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat vs. Ron Simmons vs. Shane Douglas vs. Sid Vicious vs. WCW Tag Team Champion Steve Austin vs. Sting

As you might expect, the Blonds team up from the off, and immediately turn their attentions to Sting. Before the bell even rings they rush at him, clubbing him down to the mat, and lift him over the top. Cactus Jack, trying to form a bond with Sting, fights the Blonds off to help his 'friend'. He charges at Pillman with a Clothesline and they both topple over the top… and Cactus falls to the floor! Pillman hangs on the top rope… and Steve Austin pulls him back in! Now Sting’s on his own against the Blonds!

Sid, meanwhile, is the wildcard in this whole thing. He eliminates Ron Simmons with ease, but when he turns his attentions to Flair, Johnny B Badd sneaks up behind him and bundles him over the top rope in a huge upset! Sid, clearly embarrassed, returns to the ring and Powerbombs Badd, allowing Rick Rude to pick the bones and throw Johnny from the ring.

Elsewhere, Paul Orndorff is able to eliminate the United States Champion Dustin Rhodes, but is soon thrown by his old enemy Sting. The Blonds, still working together, take out a break from targeting Sting to get the upper hand on everyone else in the ring. With the Blonds the only men standing tall, Sting fires up and sends both of them sprawling. Austin rests against the ropes…and Sting clotheslines him out!

With Austin on the outside, he grabs Sting's leg through the ropes, leaving the Stinger trapped! Sting tries to wriggle free, allowing Pillman to rush over and toss him over the top rope! Big heat for the Blonds! But wait a minute… Sting lands at the feet of Steve Austin, who can only look on in shock as Sting rises. And Sting starts beating the hell out of Austin on the outside!

Pillman tries to offer encouragement to Austin from the ring, but knows he can’t go out and help. As he turns back to the ring, he realises he is being stared at by Flair, Windham, Vader, Douglas, Steamboat and Rude. And now he’s all alone… the rest of the participants beat the hell out of him! The fans explode for Pillman getting what he deserves, until Shane Douglas realises Steamboat is distracted and throws him over the top rope!

But Steamboat hangs on! He skins the cat back in… and throws the unsuspecting Douglas out! The plan backfired for Shane!

With that, we're down to Vader, Flair, Windham, Pillman, Arn, Steamboat & Rude. Ric Flair, sensing the opportunity to fight for the NWA Title drawing ever closer, starts to fire off on his opponents. Barry Windham tries to sneak attack him, but Flair sees him coming. Eye rake, chop, all the dirty moves are coming out tonight in Flair’s return match… and he throws Barry Windham out of the ring! There’s your revenge for the attack at Slamboree.

Flair turns his attention to Pillman, who is still feeling the effects of that group beatdown, when Barry Windham slides back in to the ring and throws Flair over the top! The fans erupt in to a chorus of boos in seeing Flair be illegally eliminated in his return match like that.

And so, we're down to the last five, and Pillman, Vader and Rude team up to beat down Arn Anderson and Ricky Steamboat. Rude, seeking revenge on Arn for his loss at Slamboree, tells the others to back off while he finishes The Enforcer off. It takes him a while to reason with Vader, and by the time he returns to Anderson, Arn grabs him by the tights and launches Rude over the top rope! Arn crumples to the mat with fatigue, having used the last of his strength to eliminate Rude, making him easy pickings for Brian Pillman, who throws him over and somehow makes it to the final three.

Steamboat, the ultimate underdog babyface, gives it everything he has against the two heels. He manages to chop himself in to some space, and when Pillman charges, he back body drops him over the top rope! That's not much of a victory, though. It just leaves him alone and exhausted against Big Van Vader. And no-one wants to be there. He gives it everything he has, chopping and diving and elbowing with everything he has. But Vader is too strong, too dominant, and cuts short an offensive flurry with a club to the ear. He plants Steamboat with a Powerbomb in the centre of the ring, picks him up with ease, and Press Slams him over the top, allowing the WCW Champion Big Van Vader to pick up the win... and the title shot?

Harley Race joins Vader in the ring and raises his arm in victory, a microphone attached to his other hand. He says that he has proven once and for all that Vader is the best this company has to offer. He’s already the World Champion, and yet another runs around saying the same. Given Vader is now the Number One Contender to the NWA Title as well, he challenges Davey Boy Smith to a match to crown the Undisputed World Champion at Beach Blast

Davey Boy comes out to the ramp and, of course, he accepts.

So with Clash 23 in the books, and the main event for the PPV agreed, let’s move on to the Road to Beach Blast 1993 (minus the mini-movies)...
    Last edited by Keefmoon; 04-11-2018 at 05:03 AM.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Six man tag is a fine choice for the opener but I must admit, I was fairly shocked that you decided to roll with Scorpio as the winner. I’m not really overly sure why but I just was shocked. Still, as I mentioned for last month’s update, Benoit/Scorpio would put on great matches so I’m more than happy for this to continue and for the feud to get some real meat to it. Good start to the show.

It felt pretty obvious that Bobby Eaton was getting the win over Roma. This one really felt like a match with no real consequence, but at least from the outside looking in, it feels as if you’ve put the right man over.

I completely expect this TV Title reign to be epic for Benoit with him putting on match of the night consistently. It really seems like he took another step in that direction here. A little surprised to see Zenk put up such a challenge, and I wonder if the Small Package finish means Zenk will hang around the title picture a little. Still, I’m pumped for more Benoit/Scorpio so more than happy with the result.

I like The Barbarian so I would have preferred if he didn’t get squashed. That’s not necessarily feedback for your booking, it’s more me whinging because somebody I like jobbed pretty hard. It does make sense from a booking point of view; in throw away matches such as this it’s smart to make your champion look strong. That’s exactly what you did here with Davey, good stuff.

After your response to my comment on Vader not being on Clash, I thought he was going to appear but still not fight, which would have still had me wanting to give feedback… However Vader inserting himself into this match is awesome… Very fun stuff…

The Battle Royal was extremely well booked, doing just as you said it would, and setting plenty of things in motion for the future. Cactus eliminating himself for Sting and Sting’s interactions with Pillman and Austin continue that angle, Whindham and Flair eliminated each other, Sid wasn’t happy with Badd and Steamboat getting rid of Douglas will lead to something as well in my opinion. All executed great and the ending with Vader picking up the win was the right call. Props on your final free two, Pillman gets a massive rub, Steamboat is great at playing the underdog babyface and Vader is a monster. Terrific stuff and this feels as if it will naturally flow into unifying the World Titles which is what needs to happen anyway. Well done.

Even though we all knew this was a throw away show coming in, I really enjoyed this, mainly because of the main event and Benoit. The idea of Benoit putting on classic matches in the mid card every night excited me greatly, and now all of the angles you’re planning are becoming real obvious after that Battle Royal. Booked to perfection and can’t wait to see what happens next. Very good job, mate.

Squash Fodder

Status

Thanks for the feedback, Stojy. Really glad you enjoyed the main event, and you're right that it sets us on our path that will in some cases (hopefully) take us through the rest of the year.

Given I have a little time this morning, here's the next episode...

Episode Five: The Road to Beach Blast 1993

After winning the Number One Contender Battle Royal at Clash of the Champions, the WCW World Heavyweight Champion Big Van Vader is on a full collision course with the NWA World Champion Davey Boy Smith. The next few weeks see both men squash their way through the undercard, with neither showing any signs of weakness going in to their huge match at the PPV. Who will come out on top in the battle of these warriors, and etch their name in to history as the first Undisputed WCW Champion?

Meanwhile, Ric Flair lays down a challenge to Barry Windham as only he can. The Nature Boy says Windham hadn’t been on his radar until the Battle Royal, but he sure as hell is now. Windham screwed him out of the one thing that matters to him – a shot at the World Title - and he wants a piece of him at Beach Blast in his first singles match in WCW for over two years. Once he beats him, only then will he go for the World Title.

Flair wasn't the only man screwed in the Battle Royal. Sting, now having been cost two matches by Steve Austin, faces the Stunning One on an episode of Saturday Night. Yet again, the Blonds use the numbers game to beat the Stinger down. Realising that he really can't go it alone, Sting decides to find a tag partner and go for the Tag Titles. Cactus Jack, who has long been campaigning to be Sting's partner of choice, is pleased he's seen the light. Unfortunately for him, Sting says it won't be Jack as his partner. Jack is crazy. Reckless, even. When he tried to help Sting in the Battle Royal, he got himself eliminated. That's not the kind of person he needs. He needs someone just like him, who will do things the right way. He needs Ron Simmons. Jack is as disappointed as you are.

It doesn't take long for Jack to find himself involved in a different feud, though. When Shane Douglas fumes at his partner Ricky Steamboat for eliminating him in the battle royal, Steamboat tries to calm him down and focus on the bigger picture. However, when Steamboat and Douglas next team to take on the Texas Hangmen (Shanghai Pierce and Tex Slazenger, the future Godwinns), Douglas walks out on Steamboat, leaving him to be destroyed by the young but dangerous tag team. When Steamboat questions Douglas' actions, Douglas brutally attacks his former partner, turning heel. He would later claim that he was sick of Steamboat deciding on his future for him. Cactus Jack stands up to Douglas for his recent violent actions, leading to a match at Beach Blast.

Rick Rude
    , having been beaten and eliminated by Arn Anderson in recent months, takes out the Enforcer one night and challenges him to a rematch. To get the match, he's willing to offer Arn a night with Missy Hyatt if he can win. Arn says he wouldn't go near Missy even if he was paid to, and turns down the match. It's only when Arn's friend Ric Flair suggests that, if Rude is that desperate for the match, maybe he can put something else on the line – his moustache. Arn loves the idea and lays down the challenge; if Arn wins, that magnificent moustache is shaved, and the rivalry is done. Rude agrees to the stipulation, despite Missy's protestations.

Also coming out of the Clash Battle Royal, Paul Orndorff felt that by eliminating the Dustin Rhodes that he should get a shot at his US Title. Dustin agrees, and will defend the belt at Beach Blast. Meanwhile, Dustin begins to befriend Paul Roma, who is low on confidence after his recent performances, which came to a head when he was schooled by Bobby Eaton at the Clash.

And finally, there are two more matches on the card. Sid spends the entire month finding Johnny B Badd and making him pay for having the audacity to eliminate him from a Battle Royal, and they'll face off at Beach Blast. Meanwhile, Chris Benoit continues his hot streak as he holds the belt against all challengers. One man who is building towards a title shot is the rejuvenated Lord Steven Regal, who looks set for a title shot until he loses to Tom Zenk at WCW Main Event. To keep the title away from 2 Cold Scorpio and Zenk, Benoit and Regal form an alliance, and at Beach Blast the two teams will face off.

And in a final note for this Road, the promising push for the Diamond Mine (DDP and Scotty Flamingo) unfortunately falls apart when their bodyguard Vinnie Vegas leaves to join WWF and his buddy Shawn Michaels. Toot toot.

Beach Blast 1993 Predictions

WCW TV Champion Chris Benoit & Lord Steven Regal vs. 2 Cold Scorpio & Tom Zenk

Sid Vicious vs. Johnny B Badd

Shane Douglas vs. Cactus Jack

The Ravishing Moustache Is On the Line
    : Rick Rude vs. Arn Anderson

WCW United States Heavyweight Title
    : Paul Orndorff vs. Dustin Rhodes (c)

WCW Tag Team Titles:
    Hollywood Blonds (c) (Brian Pillman & Steve Austin) vs. Sting & Ron Simmons

Barry Windham vs. Ric Flair

Undisputed! WCW World Heavyweight Title and NWA World Heavyweight Title Match
    : Big Van Vader (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith (c)

Other questions:

What will be the longest match?

What will be the shortest match?

Will there be any unscheduled appearances?

Wasting time forever

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Looked like a rather standard, middle of the road COTC on paper, but the show itself was much, MUCH more news worthy. Obviously, Vader entering himself in the Battle Royal and winning was a big shock - and a satisfying one. I liked the dig by Race that the REAL World Champion wasn't on the show. I'd expected to have to wait longer to see the belts unified, so to get it this soon is a great bonus. Davey getting a very straightforward win was a relief too, as it serves to make him look stronger, going into the massive challenge he'll now obviously face with Vader.

Battle Royal done an excellent job to help build up the feud between Flair and Windham, and it furthered the angle between Cactus and Sting, with Cactus costing himself to give Sting more of a chance - though it was (and I'm assuming it was meant come off as) a bone headed decision, as he ultimately left Sting 2 on 1 against the Blondes. To me, that was a great piece of storytelling, showing the difference between a non-team like Cactus and Sting compared to the full-time team of the Blondes, with Austin managing to save Pillman, and Foley making a rash decision and fucking up. That said, I got the impression it was a genuine attempt to help Sting and not a subtle attempt to screw with him.

Solid job here, setting up feuds through the Battle Royal throughout. Pretty much ever elimination had some meaning, bar perhaps Simmons getting tossed by Sid, just about everything appeared to be setting up future matches. Impressive stuff. Sid getting dumped out by Johnny B Badd was a shocker, and the attack from Sid was a fine set up for a match between them.

Found it a big surprise that Benoit only just survived the challenge of Zenk - but I dug the story you're telling with it. Playing off the inexperience of Benoit is a novel idea, and makes him a champion that could essentially lose his title at any time, by preying on weaknesses.

Beach Blast 1993 Predictions

WCW TV Champion Chris Benoit & Lord Steven Regal vs. 2 Cold Scorpio & Tom Zenk
    Interesting to see Benoit align with Regal. Has the makings of an amazing team imo. That said, I think this tag team match is the perfect stage to give Scorpio a win over Benoit, and set up a future title shot against the TV champion.

Either via DQ or by some form of luck, where Sid slips on the proverbial banana peel. Johnny appears to be on an upward trajectory, and I don't see him being used a stepping stone for Sid to squash. Would like to be wrong though, lol.

Through some form of cheating, I'd imagine. Cactus will be going back to the angle with Sting after this show, I believe, so I don't think he needs a win here.

The Ravishing Moustache Is On the Line
    : Rick Rude vs. Arn Anderson
    I love this angle, and I love this stipulation. Very fun, and very much of this time period. Despite Rude being due something over Arn, this is too good an opportunity to turn down. The Moustache must go!!

WCW United States Heavyweight Title
    : Paul Orndorff vs. Dustin Rhodes (c)

While I wouldn't necessarily rule out some kind of screw up from Roma to cost Dustin, I think that may come at a later date. I don't think Mr Wonderful needs the U.S Title at this stage of his career, so I'll say Dustin sees off Orndorff, continuing to set an example for Roma.

WCW Tag Team Titles:
    Hollywood Blonds (c) (Brian Pillman & Steve Austin) vs. Sting & Ron Simmons
    Be it Cactus getting involved, or Sting and Simmons just not clicking, the challengers are losing. I appreciate a slow burn angle, and this slow burn with Sting and Cactus has been really well done thus far. Looking forward to seeing the next stage of it here.

Barry Windham vs. Ric Flair

First singles match back in the company after 2 years? Flair isn't losing. Plus, Flair vs Vader/Davey sounds much more appealing to me.

Undisputed! WCW World Heavyweight Title and NWA World Heavyweight Title Match
    : Big Van Vader (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith (c)
    While I've enjoyed seeing Davey used as a main event, world title holder - I think Vader deserves to be the Undisputed Champion. Build for this was simple, but effective, with both men looking really strong in the run up - as they should be. There's no storyline mumbo-jumbo to worry about here, this is being positioned as a fight to find out who's the best. And to me, Vader is the best. A win here just solidifies that position. Thanks for coming Davey, but it's time to step aside.

Other questions:

What will be the longest match?
    I'll go for a surprise, and say the tag title match.

What will be the shortest match?
    Sid vs Badd

Will there be any unscheduled appearances?
    Does Cactus in the tag title match count? Also, Steamboat to attack Douglas at some point.

http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=165683
    BEING THE BOOKER

COMING SOON (hopefully)

Squash Fodder

Status

Episode Six: Beach Blast 1993

WCW TV Champion Chris Benoit & Lord Steven Regal w/Sir William vs. 2 Cold Scorpio & Tom Zenk
    The fans love Scorpio, but have to endure Benoit and Regal methodically picking apart Tom Zenk's arm for the best part of ten minutes as Scorpio winds tighter and tighter, awaiting the tag. When he finally gets it, he flies at his vicious opponents, sends Benoit running, and finishes off Regal (and presumably picking up a rematch for the TV Title) with a 450 Splash in a little under twelve minutes.

It's possible Douglas may have bit off a little more than he can chew here. Jack beats Douglas all around the ring as you might expect, but Shane, now embracing his inner scumbag heel, scratches and scrapes his way back in to contention, and cheats Jack out of the victory and pick up the win with a handful of tights in ten minutes.

But that's not enough for Douglas. Rather than accept the dirty victory, he instead jumps Jack from behind and tries to bloody him with vicious rights to the eye. Before he can do too much damage, Ricky Steamboat returns from injury and fights him off. Wanting to avoid a fair fight, Douglas flees to the back.

Hands up who wants to swap places with Johnny B Badd? I didn't think so. He puts up more of a fight than Erik Watts was able to (because he's Erik Watts), but is still overpowered, outmatched and dominated. Sid picks up the easy victory in less than five minutes.

The Ravishing Moustache Is On the Line: Rick Rude w/Missy Hyatt & His Moustache vs. Arn Anderson
    Maybe it's the stakes being so high (for someone as vain as Rick Rude, anyway), but the Ravishing One is on point in this one. For all Arn's ring generalship (shut up, that's a word), every comeback is quickly cut off as Rude goes back to trying to injure the Enforcer's neck. Arn does eventually find his way back in to the contest, but on this day, Rude will not be letting his beautiful moustache disappear from his beautiful face. Rick Rude nails a Rude Awakening for the win after thirteen minutes, and after the match, he carries Missy Hyatt to the back as she delicately strokes the thick hair on his top lip.

WCW United States Heavyweight Title: Paul Orndorff w/Harley Race vs. Dustin Rhodes (c)

Orndorff, the veteran, the man who once put Hulk Hogan on the shelf, uses every single thing he's learned in his years in the business to overwhelm the plucky-yet-inexperienced champion. Dustin, however, shares many of his father's traits, one of which being able to fight back when the night seems at its darkest. In a fair fight, Dustin might have been able to beat the vet, but the game-changer, as ever, was Harley Race on the outside. After twelve minutes, Race slips the US Title belt in to the ring and distracts the referee long enough that Orndorff can hit a Piledriver on the belt, allowing him to steal the win and the US Title to the gasps of the audience. As Orndorff tearfully holds the belt above his head, Dustin can only watch on, barely able to move as pain shoots through his body.

Barry Windham vs. Ric Flair w/Fifi
    The Nature Boy is back! Windham gives him a good fight, but it's Flair, in his return singles match, in WCW. There is only going to be one winner here, and we're all here to see Flair get back on the wagon and get a World Title around his waist. Ric Flair, of course, picks up the win with the Figure Four after fourteen minutes.

After the match, Flair is celebrating for the fans when Windham jumps Flair from behind. He stomps him down to the mat when Arn Anderson makes the save and brawls with him down the aisle. As Flair stirs in the ring he pulls himself to his feet, only for Rick Rude to appear from nowhere and nail him with a Rude Awakening!

WCW Tag Team Titles: Hollywood Blonds (c) (Brian Pillman & Steve Austin) vs. Sting & Ron Simmons
    Never let it be said that the Blonds don't plan ahead. As with their title match at Slamboree, the Blonds bring a pair of handcuffs to the fight, and are able to trap Sting against the barricade. Ron Simmons is a tough SOB, but even he can't stand up to the power of the champions in perfect tandem. Sting can only watch on from ringside, desperately trying to free himself as the Blonds pick off Simmons, and retain the gold after thirteen minutes before Sting can get free.With help of a nearby police officer, Sting finally releases himself after the bell and chases after the champs, but it's too little, too late.

Undisputed! WCW World Heavyweight Title and NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: Big Van Vader (c) w/ Harley Race vs. Davey Boy Smith (c)

And now, the big one. The unification of two belts that should never have existed side-by-side in the company in the first place.

If you were expecting a mauling, you wouldn't have been disappointed. But the mauling, for once, didn't come from Vader. Davey Boy put up a better fight than we've possibly ever seen against the monster, going as far to dominate the WCW Champion for long chunks of the match. Vader even began to try to escape the onslaught by running from the ring, only for Davey to chase him down and continue the beating.

But that's the problem with Vader. Even if you can get the upper hand, it's usually a matter of time before he gets it back, and when he does, it's lights out. All it takes is one mistake from Davey, too keen to keep the upper hand, and Vader is back in it. From there, Davey throws everything he has at the big man, but falls victim to a devastating Powerbomb, and as such, Big Van Vader claims both World Titles after sixteen minutes of intense, hoss-y action.

Up next: The Road to Clash of the Champions XXIV!

Thanks to Stojy and WolfBeast for the very kind feedback about the Clash, I did enjoy writing the Battle Royal and aiming things in the direction I would like to go.

Wolf Beast, you got 5 of the 8 matches right, and was right that Badd/Sid would be the shortest match, and Steamboat would attack Douglas, but incorrect on longest match and Cactus getting involved in the Tag Title match. Hope you predict again!

Hope you all enjoyed and feedback is of course welcomed.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Tag match seems fine enough to open the show, as I enjoy this coming to a head in a sense. It feels like over the past few months, these guys have all been battling away for a chance at the US Title, or in Benoit’s case, to keep it. It kind of feels as if we’ve come full circle to have the four of them in the ring, and Benoit and Regal teaming together and beating the hell out of Zenk would have been amazing. With that being said, after last month, all of the momentum is with Scorpio so he was always winning this one. A good win for him and smart to have him pick it up over Regal, keeping Benoit looking strong. Scorpio/Benoit being built very well, good start to the show.

Much like the opener, I don’t think Douglas/Cactus could have really been booked any better. Being the young heel, Douglas needs to go over to get a further rub and that happened here… But by using the tights, Cactus loses nothing. As Wolfy mentioned in his predictions, Jack will now go chase Sting some more, and Steamboat making the fiery comeback will lead to the former partners fighting down the track. Really good stuff yet again.

Not really sure what your plans are with Johnny B Badd, but potentially not a lot at this stage. I guess he’s still got some time before he comes into his own anyway. I’m actually glad you gave Sid the win, would have been awkward booking to give him a big, surprise return and then repeatedly job him to a lower card star. Intrigued to see what’s next for both these guys, and again, whilst this was a nothing squash, I’m happy with how you went about it.

I wasn’t the hugest fan of the build for another encounter between Rude/Anderson. I was an advocate previously that another match needed to happen between them, but I think it was mainly the stipulation that left me with a sour taste. Rude losing his moustache as a potential outcome is fine, but Anderson not having any sort of stipulation against him kind of ruined it for me. It just feels a bit like it was a no win situation. For example, if Rude wins, I feel oh he was always going to win, that’s why Arn didn’t have anything up for grabs… Or if Arn wins, I feel oh he was always going to win, that’s why the stipulation was against Rude. Outside of that though, I do feel as if you put the right man over as Rude probably couldn’t afford to lose to Anderson again.

Hmm, I was a little shocked by the outcome of Orndorff/Rhodes. I definitely didn’t expect a title change, however Rhodes doesn’t lose too much with Harley Race being the difference. This has all the makings of ‘The American Dream’ coming back to even the odds, in my opinion. Solid stuff nonetheless, nothing bad, was just shocked with the result but I can’t get everything right.

As you mentioned, this was a no brainer, Flair was always going over here against Windham. I guess I’m more interested in the aftermath as I didn’t expect the attack or the appearance from Rude. Curious as to whether Rude is just out to spite Anderson, has a beef with Flair, or has some sort of friendship with Barry? Plenty of questions to be answered here.

The Blonds outsmart their opponents yet again which is fine, however I would have preferred if it didn’t involve handcuffs again… Or if it did involve handcuffs but the spot was a little more creative. This didn’t seem all that different from Slamboree which makes the faces look dumb for not being prepared to prevent this, in my opinion. Either way, Simmons gets destroyed and probably written off with an injury of some sort, allowing for Cactus to get involved. It makes sense that you’ll run with this angle a little longer, as Sting/Cactus is going to be all kinds of awesome. Solid stuff.

Big time main event here and this pretty much went as expected. VADER is the man in this time period so he was always winning this, although props for giving Davey the rub of being his toughest challenger. I’m really curious at this point to see who will pop up to keep Vader busy until Flair is ready to challenge him. Either way, great HOSS main event and the right man comes out of this event as champion.

Really good job here again. Two PPV’s in a row where things really seems to be on the right track. I picked on one or two tiny things here, but nothing that actually makes a real difference. Show was great, enjoying basically all of the stuff currently going on. Also, keep Vader as champion forever. Cool.

Wasting time forever

Status

Thought Scorpio getting the win in the tag match was a smart idea, whilst not having Benoit take the pin. Had Scorpio beat Benoit here, it would’ve telegraphed the finish of their eventual one on one rematch. With this, we’re not so sure.

Steamboat returning to run Douglas off was a nice moment, but again, I thought the booking was smart, in that you didn’t give everything away, with Shane getting away pretty sharp. Big win for Douglas too, and I’d say he’s being primed for a decent run up the card. Feuding with Uber baby face Steamboat is a great way to start.

Was relieved Sid dominated Badd. Now that the filler is out of the way, here’s hoping Sid gets something of note to do now in the main event scene.

Can’t say I’m not disappointed we didn’t get what would’ve been an epic moment for Rude to shave off the moustache. With Flair getting the win against Windham, I expected to see Flair elevated to the title program, but a Rude feud sounds like a whole lot of fun, with Anderson and Windham branching off to keep each other busy. Tag match at the next clash would make sense as the next logical step, as there’s obviously still issues between Rude/Anderson & Flair/Windham to clear up before moving on to their next programs.

I agree with stojy on his assessment of the Rhodes feud with Orndorff & Race. Dusty fighting his sons corner would be a lot of fun imo. Rhodes losing the belt was the big shock of the night for me. Expected a routine title defence.

With the handcuffs returning as a game changer for the Blondes I could see some kind of gimmick match down the road centred on the handcuffs in some manner. Their greater nous for team work and planning gives them a massive edge against other teams - makeshift teams - that shows the difference between a ‘real’ cohesive team and two guys who just come together.

Main event sounded epic. Vader going over as Undisputed Champ was the right move, but I really enjoyed Davey getting his run on top. After the showing he had here too, I wouldn’t rule out Davey getting a rematch, or at the very least sticking around the main events. Great job.

BEING THE BOOKER

COMING SOON (hopefully)

Squash Fodder

Status

Thanks guys for the feedback, much appreciated as always. Really helps to get such a thorough review afterwards to get a sense of what's landing and what isn't.

Couple of specific points to pick up on:

Quote Originally Posted by stojy View Post
    I wasn’t the hugest fan of the build for another encounter between Rude/Anderson. I was an advocate previously that another match needed to happen between them, but I think it was mainly the stipulation that left me with a sour taste. Rude losing his moustache as a potential outcome is fine, but Anderson not having any sort of stipulation against him kind of ruined it for me. It just feels a bit like it was a no win situation. For example, if Rude wins, I feel oh he was always going to win, that’s why Arn didn’t have anything up for grabs… Or if Arn wins, I feel oh he was always going to win, that’s why the stipulation was against Rude. Outside of that though, I do feel as if you put the right man over as Rude probably couldn’t afford to lose to Anderson again.
    Fair point. The vibe I was going for was Rude was so desperate for the match he was willing to put something on the line to get it. However, without being able to go in to the detail that would have gotten that over, I can see how you may have missed that. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by stojy View Post
    The Blonds outsmart their opponents yet again which is fine, however I would have preferred if it didn’t involve handcuffs again… Or if it did involve handcuffs but the spot was a little more creative. This didn’t seem all that different from Slamboree which makes the faces look dumb for not being prepared to prevent this, in my opinion.
    Without wanting to say too much, this is going somewhere, and not just that Sting is and will forever be the dumbest babyface...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Beast View Post
    Their greater nous for team work and planning gives them a massive edge against other teams - makeshift teams - that shows the difference between a ‘real’ cohesive team and two guys who just come together.
    Really glad you picked up on that, as it's something I generally enjoy. The Blonds are a full time tag team, and the guys they are fighting aren't. Doesn't matter if you're the biggest stars in the company if you're against people who are, as you say, cohesive, and you're not.

Thanks again guys. On to the next one...

Episode Seven: The Road to Clash of the Champions XXIV

Coming out of Beach Blast, everyone wanted to know why Rick Rude would attack Ric Flair. Luckily for us, Rude was only too happy to explain. It's all about a little saying of Flair's. "To be the man, you've got to beat the man". Rude says that he clearly is the man, the manliest man, and he realised it by beating Flair's long-time friend and enforcer at Beach Blast. But no-one will truly accept it until he pins Flair clean in the middle of the ring. The match is made for Fall Brawl, and a tag team match pitting Rude & Windham against Flair & Arn is made for the Clash.

But disaster strikes! An injury Barry Windham picked up at the Blast was worse than initially thought, and he's out of action for the foreseeable future. Rude promises that he'll find a suitable partner and new business associate for the Clash, and says Flair and Arn won't quite believe who he's found...

On any other show, Flair vs. Rude would be enough to headline a PPV. But not Fall Brawl 1993. Instead, the main event will be... WAR GAMES!

Sting
    , one team captain, is still feuding with the joint team captains on the other side, the Hollywood Blonds. Sting also previously feuded with Paul Orndorff, who screwed Dustin Rhodes out of the US Title, and has previously feuded with Cactus Jack. Jack is now looking for revenge against Shane Douglas, who is also being targeted by Ricky Steamboat after turning on his former tag team partner. If you can wrap your head around that tangled web, you'll see that everyone hates everyone, and they'll battle it out in the deadliest match type is pro wrestling. But there's an added stipulation – each member of the winning team can pick a match of their choosing for Halloween Havoc!

But there is plenty to come before then. Steamboat, having been attacked by his former tag partner, can't wait until War Games to get his revenge over Shane Douglas. They'll finally face off at Clash of the Champions XXIV.

Not in the main event, though. Big Van Vader won the NWA Title at Beach Blast, essentially unifying the two world titles (or rather, acknowledging one Undisputed World Champion, and quietly dropping reference to the NWA Title). Davey Boy Smith is looking for a rematch, but it's Vader's feud with Cactus Jack that has never truly subsided. In fact, it was Jack and Sting that last picked up a win of any kind over Vader, beating him and his bud Paul Orndorff in the main event of Slamboree in May. At the Clash, they'll go one on one in a non-title match. Will Jack survive and still make it to War Games?

Another War Games participant in action at the Clash is Paul Orndorff. Mr. Wonderful had stolen the US Title from Dustin Rhodes with a well-placed Piledriver on to the belt, and after a challenge laid down by the former champion, Orndorff agreed to put the belt on the line. Not against Dustin, though, but his new buddy Paul Roma.

Meanwhile, having built momentum since he lost in the final of the TV Title tournament, 2 Cold Scorpio is offered a rematch against Chris Benoit if he can beat Benoit's pal Lord Steven Regal on an episode of WCW Saturday Night. Scorpio comes out on top, so Regal & Benoit lay a beating on Scorpio afterwards. Regal's fellow countryman Davey Boy Smith makes the save for 2 Cold. At the Clash, Scorpio will finally get his shot at the gold, and Davey and Regal will also go head-to-head.

Oh, and all the while, we get the debut of a little-known tag team act called Harlem Heat. I wonder if they'll ever make a name for themselves?

Coming up: Clash of the Champions XXIV...

Clash of the Champions XXIV Card

WCW Television Title: Chris Benoit (c) vs. 2 Cold Scorpio

Lord Steven Regal vs. Davey Boy Smith

WCW United States Heavyweight Title:
    Paul Orndorff (c) vs. Paul Roma

Rick Rude & His Mystery Partner vs. Ric Flair & Arn Anderson

Shane Douglas vs. Ricky Steamboat

Non-Title Match: Big Van Vader vs. Cactus Jack

Other questions:

• Who will be Rick Rude's partner?
    • What will be the longest match?
    • What will be the shortest match?
    Last edited by Keefmoon; 04-20-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Glad to see these two get to go at it again, and this has been built well over a few months. I like how rather than going for a generic rematch for no real reason, you’ve really made Scorpio earn it here. Still, I think Benoit retains.

Seems kind of strange for Davey Boy to just insert himself in this angle, and help Benoit against Scorpio and Regal. Especially after losing the NWA Title, you would think he would have other things on his mind. As much as I love Regal, surely Davey Boy doesn’t start jobbing in the mid card straight after losing the belt.

Killing time until the Orndorff/Rhodes match up, Mr. Wonderful wins. Wouldn’t surprise me if Orndorff tried an attack after the match, only for Rhodes to make the save. Not much to comment on regarding build up as there wasn’t really one other than a challenge.

Roddy Piper rolls up to be the difference maker. As mentioned previously, enjoying the hell out of this feud, but I assume Rude and partner win this. Looking forward to watching these guys continue to interact with each other though. Money everytime.

Non-Title Match
    : Big Van Vader vs. Cactus Jack
    Expecting a real brutal match here and I’m glad that you haven’t necessarily forgotten about their brutal feud… And that really is enough to build this match. You didn’t go over the top but you didn’t need to.

Other questions:

· Who will be Rick Rude's partner?
    Roddy Piper

· What will be the longest match?
    Rude and Mystery Partner/Flair and Anderson

· What will be the shortest match?
    Orndorff/Roma

Similar to your previously Clash entry, it sort of feels as if it’s just killing time whilst we build to Fall Brawl. That’s all well and good but I just wanted to mention that Fall Brawl card with War Games, Rude/Flair and a Vader title defence setting this card up to be massive.

Keep up the great work!

Squash Fodder

Status

Ah crap, in reading Stojy's post I realised I forgot to put the Shane Douglas/Ricky Steamboat match in the list of matches and predictions. Apologies - updated now.

Wasting time forever

Status

Clash of the Champions predictions time;

Scorpio has had a long road to this rematch with Benoit, but I see the TV title staying with the Canadian for now. That said, Benoit dropping the title and forming a full time team with Regal would be a nice option. Chris Benoit wins here, and moves on to a fresh new challenger.

After losing the NWA Title, this looks like a solid , time filling, bounce back win for Davey Boy Smith over Steven Regal and nothing else. Would be a nice little match too, I'd imagine between the two compatriots.

Paul Roma just feels like a set up guy for the eventual rematch between Orndorff and Rhodes. Still predicting Roma to knife Dustin in the back eventually. Paul Orndorff wins here in the shortest match of the night, beats up Roma some more afterward for good measure, leading to the Rhodes run in for the save.

The mystery partner angle should mean Rick Rude gets the better of Flair and Anderson. Works in two ways; gives Rude some heat with a win over Flair, and solidifies him as being better than Double A. As for that partner, I'm tempted to guess Curt Hennig, because I've loved that pairing in BattleTanks thread, plus, he's available at this point, AND, Rude said the Horsemen woulnt believe who he found ... so given Curts history with Flair, it's a possibility. I also thought about Jake Roberts, but discounted him after his own Rude feud in the WWF. I'll go for Ted DiBiase, just going by the 'business associate' line. This will also be the longest match on the show imo.

Nice way to intertwine the lives of everyone that'll be involved in the War Games next month. Looks a loaded match, with plenty of issues running through it. I think the face team will win the War Games, so Shane Douglas nicks a cheap win over Ricky Steamboat on this show.

I love Mick Foley as Cactus Jack, and the few Cactus/Vader matches I've watched have been brutal (brutal in a good way) to watch. Nice match to book, given the history between the pair, so despite the rivalry being cooled off, there's still a lot of interest around it anytime a Vader/Cactus match is booked. Should be a doozy, but there's no way Cactus beats the champ. Vader wins.

BEING THE BOOKER

COMING SOON (hopefully)

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

For some reason, I sense a title change here. These two can go, and would love to see Scorpio win to start a string of title matches between these two.

I think Davey needs a win back after losing to Vader. Interesting matchup though, Regal could pull this one out, but I'm sticking with Davey.

Orndorff retains and Dustin awaits him.

Really curious to see who the mystery man is. I think Rude and his partner get this one in a cheap way, setting up more of a backstory to their huge match at Fall Brawl. Would be awesome if Curt Henning jumped ship, Perfectly Ravishing would live on in WCW '93!

I don't think Steamboat wins here, just an advancement of their storyline right now. Interested in this one though.

Non-Title Match: Big Van Vader vs. Cactus Jack
    Vader just might be my favorite thing about your fed right now. You've booked him as a monster, and should destroy Cactus. Plus, Cactus can take a major league ass whooping and be fine for Fall Brawl.

Other questions:

• Who will be Rick Rude's partner? As much as I'd love it to be Henning, I'm gonna go with Barry Windham
    • What will be the longest match? Benoit/Scorpio should be given a chance to run away with the show.
    • What will be the shortest match? Davey/Regal- I sense a pissed of Davey taking out his frustrations on Regal

Really looking forward to COTC, Fall Brawl and Halloween Havoc. I loved everything about WCW and the fall PPV's were my favorite growing up. Recently just found some of the old WCW Magazines from this time period while cleaning out my garage, so I'm all in on your project right now. You've done an awesome job so far with this, excited to see what the future holds.

WWF-1991 and Beyond- The Road to Survivor Series Begins!
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=169069

Squash Fodder

Status
      Country                    England

Benoit was someone I enjoyed watching growing up and think he will retain here tonight to continue his run as champ

I unfortunately only saw the end of the career of Davey Boy in 2000 but as this is a long time before his back injury he defeats his fellow Brit Regal to recover from the loss to Vader

Orndorff retains in a short match with Rhodes awaiting for a rematch

Really curious to see who the mystery man is. Rude and his partner to go over

Love this feud in this thread but Steamboat isn't winning this one. Douglas goes over through some underhanded tactics

Non-Title Match: Big Va​n Vader vs. Cactus Jack
    Vader was someone I never knew much about given that he wasn't wrestling in WWF when I started watching (tail end of 1999) but a couple of years ago, my brother-in-law gave me his old WCW vids about The Bash at the Beach and The Great American Bash and they had some great Vader matches on them. I would love to give Cactus the win as he was my first favourite but I think Vader is going over here

Other questions:

• Who will be Rick Rude's partner? Wild stab of a guess with Ted Dibiase
    • What will be the longest match? Benoit/Scorpio will probably steal the show
    • What will be the shortest match? US Title match

Really looking forward to War Games at Fall Brawl

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

I think Benoit, Davey, Orndorff and surprisingly Douglas are all locks for this event.

I think Rude will draft in Mr Perfect, it's just a natural fit and I think they will get the win too.

I think Cactus will push Vader all the way and I wouldn't be surprised if this one went to a non contest or dusty finish. Expecting The Blondes to get involved and Sting to make the save at the end. But Vader to win.

Mr Perfect to be Rude's partner. Tag match to be longest. Orndorff/Roma to be shortest.

Squash Fodder

Status

Thanks for the feedback and predictions all, really appreciated.

Quick note before we get in to it - while I hope the mystery partner has a good pay off for you, don't forget one of my key rules for this - I can not hire anyone who was not hired by WCW at the time. Therefore, DiBiase etc are off the table for me.

Anyway, here's the Clash...

Episode Eight: Clash of the Champions XXIV

Finally, Scorpio gets another shot at the belt. Benoit, of course, dominates as he tends to do, but 2 Cold just has too much momentum behind him. As such, Benoit can never really keep Scorpio down, even when he tries to ground his challenger with a series of leg-related submissions. Scorpio might wake up tomorrow with a limp, but he still manages to take Benoit down, scale to the top rope, and hit his jaw-dropping 450 Splash to win the match and the TV Title in sixteen minutes.

After the match, Chris Benoit, having been beaten by the better man on the night, shakes Scorpio's hand and raises his arm in victory.

WCW United States Heavyweight Title: Paul Orndorff (c) w/ Harley Race vs. Paul Roma w/Dustin Rhodes
    Paul Roma has clearly improved since befriending Dustin Rhodes, but it's not enough to beat a man as devious and with as much experience as Mr. Wonderful. Despite a solid effort from the challenger, Orndorff retains the belt in six minutes.

After the match, rather than celebrate, Orndorff cheap-shots the challenger and looks for another Piledriver on to the belt, only for Dustin Rhodes to fight him off.

Lord Steven Regal w/Sir William vs. Davey Boy Smith

Before the match begins, Regal grabs a microphone. No good can come from this. He announces that Davey Boy is besmirching their homeland. Apparently he had a call from Prince Charles himself asking Regal to take care of this national embarrassment, and Regal would only be too happy to do as instructed by his majesty.

Hearing all of this from backstage, Davey Boy runs down to the ring, beats Regal from one side to the other, takes out Sir William, hits Regal with a Running Powerslam and gets the win in just over a minute. Lesson here: don't poke an angry Bulldog.

Rick Rude & His Mystery Partner w/Missy Hyatt vs. Ric Flair & Arn Anderson w/Fifi

Who should Rude's partner be but... Sid Vicious! Even Flair and Arn don't know what to make of that...

Sid makes quite the impression, dominating Arn as Flair is left watching from the apron, pacing up and down as he yells motivational messages to his long-time friend. When Arn finally gets the tag, Flair chops the skin straight off Rude's chest, and eye-gauges his way in to breaking Sid down to size. Sid, however, refuses to truly budge, so Flair distracts the referee long enough that he's able to hit a low blow. "Now... WOOOO... we go to school!"

Before Flair can lock in the Figure Four on his enormous opponent, Missy Hyatt attacks Flair's valet Fifi from behind, and Rude drags her up the ramp. Flair lets go of Sid and tags Arn back in, and chases Rude down the aisle. Rude releases Fifi so Flair can check on her, allowing Rude to smash a steel chair in to the Nature Boy's back. With Flair down, Rude rushes in to the ring, nails Arn with the chair, and leaves Sid to Powerbomb Anderson and take the win in ten minutes.

This one is truly months in the making. Douglas and Steamboat had made a far better tag team than many expected, but the younger of the pairing became impatient with his mentor and took him out ahead of Beach Blast. Here, they finally face off.

Douglas enters the ring with a smug smirk on his face, but has little answer when Steamboat's starts a house afire, beating the treacherous Douglas from the inside of the ring to the outside and back again. Douglas is only able to stay in the match through nefarious means, and is able to use them after a twelve-minute beating when he rolls through on a Steamboat crossbody and grab the ropes for leverage for a cheap win. Steamboat may have to wait until War Games for his retribution.

Non-Title Match: Big Van Vader w/Harley Race vs. Cactus Jack

It's the rivalry that keeps on going. It's been bubbling away for months, and now it may have just reached boiling point. Jack's one advantage over most of Vader's opponents is his propensity to keep coming back after a beating, something he had used to great effect when he and Sting overcame Vader and Paul Orndorff at Slamboree, the last time we saw Vader lose a match.

This match is no different. As with their previous encounters, Vader more than dominates the match, but can't stop his psychopathic opponent from getting back up. Jack just keeps fighting back, each time further infuriating the champion. Vader hits harder and harder, but still Jack stays in it, and baits Vader in to a Running Clothesline with Cactus propped against the ropes. He drops down, sending Vader sprawling over the top, and meets him with a Cactus Elbow on to the concrete before he can get back up. Both men writhe in pain as the referee counts down, only for Cactus to slide in to the ring just before the 10, giving him an unlikely count-out victory over the champion in twelve minutes!

As the ring announcer declares Jack's victory, Vader rises above the ring apron and stares at his conqueror. He pulls the mask from his face and rolls in to the ring. Jack knows what's coming but can do little to stop it.

Vader mauls Jack
    , clubbing him down to the mat and back up again. Jack rolls to the outside to get away, blood streaming from his ear and nose, but Vader follows. He pulls up the protective mats on the outside and, as Harley Race cackles with glee, Vader lifts Jack above his head and destroys him with a sickening Powerbomb on the concrete floor. Security and EMTs flood the ringside area as Vader is led away, while Jack is gradually placed on a stretcher.

How in the hell will Cactus Jack make it to War Games?! We'll find out in the next edition as we join the road to Fall Brawl...

In terms of predictions, kudos to BattleTank for getting 5/6 correct! No-one guessed that Cactus would win in the main event, even if it was by count out.

BattleTank also got the longest match correct (the TV Title match), as did MalWinters. BattleTank also got the shortest match correct, and the reason for why it'd be shortest. I can only presume he has remote access to the Word document where I've planned everything out.

No-one guessed that the mystery man would be Sid, although mostly because everyone presumed it'd be something more exciting than it was...

I hope everyone enjoyed the show. When planning this whole thing out, it fell in to three main sections. The first was the first couple of posts, where I paid off what was going on in the time. The second was where we transitioned in to the stories that I wanted to tell. The third is where we are all guns blazing in the direction I want to go on the way to Starrcade at the end of the year. This show marks the end of the second stage, and the start of the third.

Thanks again to all who are reading and predicting.

EDIT: Sorry, hadn't seen Sykotic's predictions before posting. 4/6 on the predictions, 0/3 on the bonus questions, but damn I thought you were about to predict the ending to Vader/Jack!
    Last edited by Keefmoon; 04-23-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Sorry I didn’t add in that last prediction. Really short on time at the moment.

Opening the show with Benoit/Scorpio is again the perfect way to get the crowd pumped for the show ahead. Initially I thought Benoit was winning this, but the fact they went 16 minutes and Scorpio won was so much better than I expected. They would have torn the house down here. A VERY BIG win for Scorpio, however I remain intrigued by the handshake afterwards. Is it over between the two? I’d still like to see a trilogy match but it doesn’t look likely after this. Either way, a damn fine opening to the show.

Not too much to comment on regarding Orndorff and Roma, it basically went exactly as most of us thought it would, and exactly as it should have. Orndorff retains however the bigger news for me here is Rhodes making the save afterwards, which confirms a US Title rematch down the track. I did enjoy the mention of Roma seemingly improving since hanging out with Rhodes… A minor detail but those things make all the difference in the world for me. Good stuff.

It’s probably my bias towards enjoying Regal as a performer, but I severely disliked the booking of this match. Firstly, Regal was a star with an initial line of receiving a call from Prince Charles. I laughed hart at that, awesome, smarmy Regal stuff. Bulldog coming out like a house on fire was to be expected, but even if he was furious at Regal, I don’t like him winning in just over a minute. It does the job of putting Bulldog over after his loss to Vader, but it makes a solid mid card talent in Regal look like a joke. Regal has been a big part of your mid card and it’s going to be very hard to take him seriously moving forward.

Damn you and your bloody rules. I forgot about them! Sid Vicious being the partner definitely wasn’t expected, however he’s still a big enough name to make this okay. Sure, when the mystery is sold that well you expect a bigger announcement, but this will do. Match itself seemed to go along well and of course when Flair is involved, shenanigans follow. I’m glad you had Team Rude get the win here, as he needs to look good before losing to Flair. Good stuff here though.

Much like basically everything you book, nothing to really complain about in the Steamboat/Douglas match either. Considering the way the feud had been built, this was never going to be the finale, especially with War Games coming up. With that being said, a dirty, heel win was always the right way to go here. A solid win for Douglas and it only makes us want to see Steamboat teach him a lesson even more.

Honestly, I knew this main event was going to be awesome and brutal, and this was, but I never truly expected Cactus to actually pick up the victory. The story you told was a standard one between these two, Cactus just to resilient and Vader unable to put him away. It feels like you’re slowly building Jack up for another shot at the gold if I’m honest. I’m predicting Cactus to pin Vader at War Games… Anyway, the Count Out victory was a smart way to give Jack his first win without Vader losing any of his invincibility. The brutal attack afterwards just further made Vader look like a beast. That Powerbomb would have been insane! Awesome way to end the show, my favourite thing of the night as I’ve seen these guys brutal battles in the past.

You’re going from strength to strength now. Outside of Regal/Bulldog, enjoyed everything that went on here. Again, Clash was a good show whilst still building towards what is sure to be a better show. Keep up the fantastic work.

Wasting time forever

Status

Ah, darn, I'd forgotten about the rules at the beginning of the thread. I like that you've set yourself some barriers to make things more challenging for yourself. Sure, it'd be fun to see Hennig or DiBiase show up, but I appreciate the attention to detail by working with your own roster and not just bringing in people when you feel like it.

Tag match was nicely set out anyway, and of the available people, Sid obviously made most sense for Rude to have as a partner. Feels like Sid has just been dragging his feet though throughout the thread, and considering he's a few months away from getting himself fired for slicing up Arn, I dont imagine we'll get anything of note from him in this run. Would be fun if he went out of WCW in the middle of a feud with Arn though, lol. The booking of Rude was great here I felt, outsmarting Flair, drawing him away using Fifi then laying him out to give him and Sid an easy win in the end. Seeing how this ended up finishing up, I could see Hyatt & Fifi being tacked on to make Flair/Rude a mixed tag match in order to hold off on the eventual one on one match.

Cactus beating Vader was an obvious shocker - even by count out. Didnt see it coming (nor did anyone else it seemed) and it continues to put Cactus over as a major player in the thread. He's been caught up with Sting for a long time (though it feels as if that potential alliance has cooled somewhat) trying to prove himself to Sting as being trustworthy, and now, he's duking it out with Vader. Despite being mauled in the aftermath, I think Cactus will get a heroic moment at War Games, showing up at the last minute to save the day and show his worth to Sting. With this win, I could even see Cactus slot himself in as a challenger for Vader at Havoc.

Whilst I'm on board with putting Davey over super-strong, it feels to me as if you sacrificed the wrong guy in Regal. A Davey/Regal feud could be a lot of fun, especially with that ridiculously funny pre-match promo from Regal here, talking about getting calls from Prince Charles, lol. Feels like a potentially fun feud was wasted here with a squash. Obviously, you've done this for a good reason, but it might've been a wiser choice for Davey to run wild and Regal to eventually escape and walk away before the match could officially begin. I'd have to expect that Davey is getting his rematch with Vader off the back of this dominant performance.

Big title change to kick off the show, and it was impressive that Benoit and Scorpio got the longest time to do their thing. The TV Title is definitely coming across as the 'workers' belt, ala the I.C Title once upon a time. Scorpio getting the belt is fine, seeing as he's had to chase it for quite some time. The handshake took me by surprise. Wonder if you'll leave things there and move them both on now, or if that handshake may signify an alliance of some sort between Benoit and Scorpio.

Bit disappointed there wasnt more hype for War Games on this show. Obviously the U.S Title match and Steamboat/Douglas had people involved in the match, but it would've been good to see even a promo from the Blondes or Sting somewhere to further hype the match. I'd even half expected a run in or two when Vader was beating the shit out of Cactus, to save Cactus from being potentially taken out of the War Games due to injury. Orndorff beating Roma to me, was the lock of the show, as the feud is between Orndorff and Rhodes, and if anyone is to take the belt from him in the near future, it'll surely be Dustin. Douglas stealing the win over Steamboat is fine too - he's still a burgeoning heel, and any cheap win does Shane favours, whilst I dont feel like Steamboat loses much in a defeat anyway at this stage of his career. With my prediction being that the faces will win at War Games, that should set up Steamboat and Rhodes to choose their rivals for matches at Halloween Havoc.

BEING THE BOOKER

COMING SOON (hopefully)

Squash Fodder

Status

Thanks all for the feedback to the last show, as always it is hugely appreciated. Glad that 95% seems to have worked for you all!

Quick note on the Regal/Davey segment, as I knew that would be controversial and has been the consistent in the feedback - I do feel you. I'm a HUGE fan of Regal and with time he'll become an important part of my plans. But we're still in 1993, and at this point I think the important thing for him is to be getting exposure. Still angle is going somewhere, but for now, I'm trying to get Regal front of minds for when the big push is needed. Also, as you'll see from this episode, Davey needed to look strong at the Clash, and not just against some no name jobber (or Erik Watts).

But still, I do appreciate the feedback guys, super helpful.

On to the next one!

Episode Nine: The Road to Fall Brawl 1993

When we left the Road to Competence, Cactus Jack had scored an unlikely count out victory over the WCW Heavyweight Champion Big Van Vader at Clash of the Champions, and paid for it with a post-match Powerbomb on to the concrete. Since then, no-one has seen or heard from Jack (rumour had it that he had developed amnesia and moved to Cleveland, but these have proven unfounded). This gives Sting, team captain of Jack's War Games team at Fall Brawl, something to worry about. With Cactus MIA, will Team Stinger have to go it alone?

This is, of course, news to the ears of the Hollywood Blonds. As the captains of Sting's opposition, they use their numerical advantage to pick their way through Sting, Ricky Steamboat and Dustin Rhodes, including a devastating attack on Rhodes' friend Paul Roma. And, of course, the Blonds are only too happy to mock their fallen opponents in the process. With the winning team being offered matches of their choosing at Halloween Havoc the next month, the stakes couldn't be higher.

But what of the WCW Champion Vader? He had technically lost his match at Clash of the Champions, and yet was the one to walk out under his own accord. As he and Harley Race boast of the devastation he had caused, Davey Boy Smith stands up to the champion. It was Davey who had lost the unification match with Vader at Beach Blast, and yet took Vader closer to the edge than anyone had managed before. The match is made as Smith promises that Vader won't be able to sneak past him this time.

Also at Fall Brawl we will see Ric Flair finally get his hands on Rick Rude. At the Clash, Rude introduced his business associate Sid Vicious, and together they won their tag team match against Arn and Flair. During that encounter, Rude's valet Missy Hyatt attacked Flair's valet Fifi, distracting the Nature Boy for long enough that Rude was able to attack him with one of those infamous international objects. Who knows what Flair will do when he finally gets the Ravishing One alone in the ring.

Moving to the midcard, the Texas Hangmen (Tex Slazenger and Shanghai Pierce) think they deserve a Tag Title shot after their recent success, and yet never get it. They take out Johnny B Badd one week to make a point, and Ron Simmons another. Simmons and Badd are therefore left to team up as the most unlikely partners in history.

The least successful, too, as the Texas Hangmen beat Ron Simmons & Johnny B Badd on WCW Saturday Night. After the match, furious at the way his stock is falling, Ron Simmons turns heel by taking out poor, poor Johnny B Badd. The Hangmen use that win to call out the Tag Champions, only to have their challenge accepted by the debuting Nasty Boys!

And finally, the Television Title scene is really picking up. After months of rivalry, 2 Cold Scorpio finally overcame his rival Chris Benoit and won the TV belt. Benoit then turned babyface by shaking Scorpio's hand out of respect, and on an episode of WCW Saturday Night saved Scorpio from a Terry Taylor beat down after he retained the belt.

Benoit then faced off with Taylor, but lost when his friend Lord Steven Regal attacked during the match. Regal explained his actions by saying that he and Benoit had bonded over their disdain for Scorpio, and by helping him he's showing weakness and turning his back on their entire friendship. They'll face off at Fall Brawl.

Scorpio, meanwhile, continues as a fighting champion. In one title defence he goes up against Scotty Flamingo, and won by disqualification when Van Hammer turned heel and joined the Diamond Mine. Scotty wants a rematch, but is barred due to Hammer's interference in his last title match. At Fall Brawl he'll team with Hammer and Taylor to take on the TV Champion Scorpio and his partners Marcus Alexander Bagwell and Tom Zenk.

And now, Fall Brawl 1993...

Fall Brawl 1993 Predictions
    Terry Taylor, Van Hammer & Scotty Flamingo vs. 2 Cold Scorpio, Tom Zenk & Marcus Alexander Bagwell

Lord Steven Regal vs. Chris Benoit

Ron Simmons vs. Johnny B Badd

The Texas Hangmen (Tex Slazenger & Shanghai Pierce) vs. The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags)

Rick Rude vs. Ric Flair

WCW World Heavyweight Title
    : Big Van Vader (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith

War Games
    : Team Blonds (Hollywood Blonds, Shane Douglas & Paul Orndorff) vs. Team Stinger (Sting, Cactus Jack, Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat)

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Fall Brawl 1993 Predictions

Terry Taylor, Van Hammer & Scotty Flamingo vs. 2 Cold Scorpio, Tom Zenk & Marcus Alexander Bagwell

Flamingo versus Scorpio seems like the logical move forward from this.

Lord Steven Regal vs. Chris Benoit

Regal to regain some pride with a strong showing against Benoit but ultimately Benoit can move forward, maybe even edge towards the US Title scene.

Ron Simmons vs. Johnny B Badd

Simmons just turned heel so I think he gets the win here although I'm not 100% sure.

The Texas Hangmen (Tex Slazenger & Shanghai Pierce) vs. The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags)

Nasty Boys just debuted whilst my reckoning was the Hangmen were enhancement talent back then.

Rick Rude vs. Ric Flair
    [SIZE=3]

Going with Sid Vicious to assist Rude to victory and another match involving Flair and Rude at HH.

WCW World Heavyweight Title: Big Van Vader (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith

I still think Vader has plenty of life left as champ so Davey again to push him hard but fall.

War Games[/I]: Team Blonds (Hollywood Blonds, Shane Douglas & Paul Orndorff) vs. Team Stinger (Sting, Cactus Jack, Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat)

The faces to win which sets up for three matches at HH. Cactus to return late on and save Sting. Would love for something swerve here and Cactus to return and attack Sting. That would be something off the radar.[size]

Good luck with this. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out and shapes the card as we head closer and closer to Starrcade.

Thread Information