Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baldy Randomizes The Network

Re: Baldy Randomizes The Network

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Match 11 - The Road Warriors vs Ray Traylor & Carl Stiles - NWA World Championship Wrestling 17/05/86

Obviously I know who the Road Warriors are, the legendary Legion of Doom. Ray Traylor was latterly the Big Bossman so I know him, and I have absoultely zero idea who Carl Stiles is. Now as this is back in 1986 i'm expecting this to either be a very short squash or just a couple of minutes of highlights so really not expecting too much.

So Animal and Hawk attacked from the get go..and did they really call Paul Ellering precious? Baby Doll is also with Ellering at ringside...then as expected after no more than a dozen moves Hawk pins Stiles, game over.
    Ellering's nickname is indeed "Precious".

As far as squash matches go, this is actually fairly important. At the time, Boss Man was brand new in the business and had just come into JCP to be a normal jobber, but he quickly impressed officials (Namely Dusty Rhodes) with his agility for being such a large man that he was quickly repackaged as Big Bubba Rogers and overnight made into one of the more important heels on JCP TV.

With how wrestling has changed, that sort of overnight ascension isn't something you can see anymore.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Match 12 - Bam Bam Bigelow vs Goldberg vs Kevin Nash - Nitro 14th December 1998

This has the potential of being a total trainwreck. Nash and Goldberg were never anything special in the ring, and sometimes they were just plain lazy during matches. Bam Bam was awesome though, but surely he won't be able to save this match?? I forgot WCW referred to these matches as triangle matches haha. Goldberg is the World Champion at this stage so I assume he's feuding with Nash too...seems that way. Credit to the fan with the Goldberg fears Wrath sign

After 7 minutes of hard hitting moves the match ends in a DQ when Scott Hall gets involved, so not exactly sure who is declared the winner here...even more so when Tony S said at the start of the match there's no interference and no DQs haha. It all played into the Goldberg vs Nash match at Starrcade 98 where the worst thing ever happened....you all know what that is!
    I have a plan so cunning......

Bigelow's 1998 return to WCW was so odd. The timing was so shit in that he instantly got in a feud with Goldberg...during the build to Starrcade. So obviously Goldberg was a bit busy. By time they finally had a singles match on PPV at Superbrawl IX, it was too late. Goldberg was now beaten and Bigelow had become just some random person on the roster rather than being a hot new signing straight from ECW.

If it wasn't going to be a Goldberg title defense in Bigelow's first match back with WCW, there wasn't any purpose in even running the program. Goldberg already had enough rivals at this point.

Internet Favorite

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Bigelow's 1998 return to WCW was so odd. The timing was so shit in that he instantly got in a feud with Goldberg...during the build to Starrcade. So obviously Goldberg was a bit busy. By time they finally had a singles match on PPV at Superbrawl IX, it was too late. Goldberg was now beaten and Bigelow had become just some random person on the roster rather than being a hot new signing straight from ECW.

If it wasn't going to be a Goldberg title defense in Bigelow's first match back with WCW, there wasn't any purpose in even running the program. Goldberg already had enough rivals at this point.
    Pesky poor WCW booking. Always really liked Bam Bam both in look and for in-ring abilities. It's a damn shame he didn't get higher than he did in WWE and I suppose WCW.

Internet Favorite

Status

Match 13 - Curt Hennig vs Dean Malenko - Fall Brawl 1998

Ahh two of my favourite in-ring performers who, for my liking still don't get the credit they deserve. Hennig is being managed by another legend in Rick Rude. This falls in the time of the NWO factions of course so yeah. I'm hoping for a very good match from these two, so let's see how it goes.

A proper old skool story telling type of match. Malenko attacked the previously injured knee of Hennig early on and worked it all match. When Hennig did get control he wasn't able to do too much due to the injury, he couldn't even hit the Hennig Plex so as I said proper old skool story telling by workers who continued to sell the work their opponents did, that is lost on some of todays performers.

Match ended in a DQ finish as Malenko hit a Hennig Plex on Hennig and Rick Rude broke it up. They proceeded to beat down on Malenko until AA came out. He got beat down too and they softened his arm up ahead of his Arm Wrestling match with Eric Bischoff during the next Thunder showing.

Match 13 - Curt Hennig vs Dean Malenko - Fall Brawl 1998
    If anything, Hennig gets too much credit. One of the most overrated wrestlers ever. He certainly had some good matches, but especially his run in WCW was just trash. The match was fine though, but it's not as if Malenko was going to benefit from just getting a DQ win over Hennig.

Internet Favorite

Status

If anything, Hennig gets too much credit. One of the most overrated wrestlers ever. He certainly had some good matches, but especially his run in WCW was just trash. The match was fine though, but it's not as if Malenko was going to benefit from just getting a DQ win over Hennig.
    I agree his WCW stuff was bad, but come on his AWA and WWF stuff was pretty damn decent.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Don't speak ill of the 3rd ever WC Hall of Famer.

I agree his WCW stuff was bad, but come on his AWA and WWF stuff was pretty damn decent.
    His WWE work had plenty of good and plenty of really bad. He's probably my least favorite seller ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Don't speak ill of the 3rd ever WC Hall of Famer.
    WC wrestling awards sure had some unique winners.

Sweet Meat

Status

to this day i dont love malenko as much as pretty much anyone

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Internet Favorite

Status

Match 14 - The Holywood Blonds vs Watts & Bagwell - Superbrawl 1993

Ahh the Holywood Blonds aka Stunning Steve and Flyin Brian, now I know they weren't together very long but i've little doubt being paired together certainly helped them both longer term. The opposite side of the ring we have Erik Watts, the son of Bill, and Marcus Bagwell, who we all know went on to become Buff Bagwell. I can't say i've even seen Superbrawl 1993 so this is yet another new one on me.

Well it wasn't that bad a match. It was a typical heel isolating a face leading to a hot tag...only for the hot tag to fail as the illegal man, in this case Steve Austin hit an elbow off the turnbuckle allowing Brian to pin Bagwell. The match probably went on little too long, if it was a little shorter I think it would have worked a bit better.

As a sidenote Jesse Ventura was on commentary, man he was awesome back in the day.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 03-30-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Internet Favorite

Status

Match 15 - Lex Luger vs Terry Jones - NWA Championship Wrestling December 3rd 1988.

Never been a fan of Lex Luger during any of his gimmicks. He was always just a jacked up, bland wrestler which is probably why Vince loved him! His opponent in this one, which I expect to be a total squash is Terry Jones...no idea who he is, so probably just a good old jobber. The ref for the bout is a slim looking Teddy Long...heck he even had some hair here.

As expected it's a total squash for the total package. The commentary team were putting over the fact that at the upcoming Starrcade event it would be Flair vs Luger for the title in a match where the title could change hands on a DQ which would try to negate the influence of JJ Dillon.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Kind of copying what I said in Ed's thread, but Luger around this time was incredible. Very very good wrestler at his peak, and it's not just the Flair matches either. He was producing great matches with loads of guys. And even the Flair matches are as good as any Flair match with anyone not named Funk or Steamboat.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Sweet Meat

Status

I think pre WWF Luger is seriously underappreciated. I don't agree with Shock that he was good when he came back, but I have a nostalgic love for the team WCW fighting Hogan era Luger anyway.

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    I think pre WWF Luger is seriously underappreciated. I don't agree with Shock that he was good when he came back, but I have a nostalgic love for the team WCW fighting Hogan era Luger anyway.
    Post 1995 Luger isn't good, but he was better than a lot of alternatives. I think he was good relative to the other WCW main eventers who were all god awful.

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Post 1995 Luger isn't good, but he was better than a lot of alternatives. I think he was good relative to the other WCW main eventers who were all god awful.

He was more fun than Harlem Heat that's for sure

Spoiler:

Luger in the late 80s/early 90s was awesome. His matches against Dan Spivey (Superbrawl 1) and Tommy Rich (Clash of the Champions 8) particularly stand out since how many other notable matches did Spivey and Rich have back then? As a worker, he was never the same after the motorcycle accident.

While I disagree with Shock about Luger being good in terms of the other main eventers WCW had in late 1995, he did find himself having a really entertaining character after a few months. Luger's smarmy BFF to Sting character of early 1996 is easily one of the best things about US wrestling that year.

Match 14 - The Holywood Blonds vs Watts & Bagwell - Superbrawl 1993
    One of the best WCW PPVs. You had three 4 star matches (Sting/Vader, RnR/Heavenly Bodies, Benoit/Scorpio), a couple of solid 3 star matches (This tag and Cactus/Orndorff), and the WCW debut of the British Bulldog.

1993 ended up being a difficult year for WCW, but they started their PPV year off with a bang.
    Last edited by Jim; 03-31-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Internet Favorite

Status

Will go back and watch the full Superbrawl 1993 if it's that good a showing, cheers for the info Jim.

Internet Favorite

Status

Match 16 - Juventud Guerrera vs Lenny - Nitro 23/8/99

Wahey I get to watch the juice Juvi haha. Obviously WWE didn't portray him the best when he made his way there but in ECW and WCW he did pretty well for himself if my memory serves me correctly. I really don't remember anything of Lenny other than the fact he looks a little like a young Chris Jericho haha. Let's see what the match brings.

So Lenny enters this match as Cruiserweight Champion but this is a non title match and is with Lodi...they're sucking lollipops during the entrance...surely that's a Bayley kind of thing...but two men covered in glitter..yeah ok they can pull it off. Was a decent match until the ending. We randomly get Sid walking down the ramp with Charles Robinson in tow. Sid proceeds to powerbomb Juvi, Lodi and Lenny then goes to 70-0....I assume this is a build towards Sid vs Goldberg huh? Sure Jim will fill me in on how it all goes down etc.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Haha, great one to get.

So Lenny and Lodi were two "ambiguously gay" (in reality there was nothing ambiguous about it because WCW had all the subtlety of a giant pink elephant) wrestlers that they spent a couple of months making innuendos and very not-subtle jokes about. It goes nowhere except getting really awful chants from the crowds, and then the gimmick gets dropped when WCW starts to feel pressure from gay rights campaigners.

Sid's winning streak was a massive joke. WCW gets a lot of shit for exaggerating the Goldberg streak but it is much worse with Sid. Sid would start a show 60-0, for example, and then the next time he'd come out they'd declare he was 63-0. He would beat people up outside of a match and the commentators would add on an extra number. He would interfere in people's matches and they'd add on an extra number.

Thread Information