Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Japan Cup 2018 - Begins March 9th

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: New Japan Cup 2018 - Begins Match 9th

Yeah, that Switchblade angle feels like a top priority now

Sure hard to enjoy an Elgin match that doesn’t feature him getting booed out of the building now. Or just one in general. Or ever.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

lmao more dumb booking from Gedo. Why eliminate one of the stories of the NJ Cup at the first attempt for Michael fucking Elgin. Disappointing. I really can't get invested in Elgin matches anymore, that might be broke forever now. I only started to really take notice when Ishii took that horrible move off the top rope and landed on his neck and I got sucked into this madman not taking the easy way out and continuing the match - and then refusing Elgin's help after the match. What a man. There's every chance a year ago I'd call it a great match, but I can't now.

Juice/Yujiro was the best Yujiro match I've seen in a long long time, well done Juice.

Looking forward to seeing if Taichi's run as a heavyweight continues to impress against BIG MATCH TANAHASHI

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I honestly don't think they've spotlighted Ishii enough for this sort of push. He's always the guy to put people over because he's a solid hand and a tough opponent for anyone. But I don't think he's the right sort to win the New Japan cup tbh. I also don't think NJPW know or care about the Elgin thing enough. But Elgin looks good now and will probably lose to someone else to make them look good. Or he might win?

Might also be a small part in a bigger story for Ishii. Might be fed up.

Probably Tanahashi winning the tournament.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Re: New Japan Cup 2018 - Begins March 9th

Like I'm pretty sure I said this before but if NJPW had any problem with his Twitter drama they wouldn't have let him work the Dome. Honestly in terms of the match, I know this may sound callous. But his case legally is pretty nuanced and not open & shut (though no matter what I defo believe he's a gigantic unlikable asshole) and even if the worst case is true there've been people that have done way worse than him in wrestling right now. It's just an it is what it is kind of thing. I kinda don't really love him that much on his own though in-ring tbh so I guess it's even less of a big deal. He's been unmotivated for awhile in Japan.

What I find truly troubling is Gedo's booking right now, Elgin hasn't been remotely relevant in 9 months & Ishii has been pushed well & kept relevant in storylines when not teaming with Yano, including the build to this tournament. Plus he's just a lot more over & deserved to go further. Him vs. Tana would have been a banger. Elgin or Juice just aren't at Ishii's level in any way. I never thought Ishii would win truth be told but like Nagata or Tenzan in G1 keeping hope alive until the end or near-end of the tournament for the fan favorite to build emotional investment would not be some hard thing. To sacrifice for a midcarder like Elgin, especially one who you really can't use to build a foreign brand is nonsense.

Both the first night matches were good, the main event was bordering great but it's hard for me to go crazy over these style of Ishii matches when we've seen much better versions of it in the past against Goto, Honma, & Shibata. Ishii did his best to make it awesome though after an insane bump. Juice/Yujiro was good. Yujiro can be helped to have good matches & was here. I didn't get the sense it dragged too much but maybe I was feeling more positive that day too.

Archer/Fale was only so-so. I think Archer would have been a much more interesting match against Tana but Fale is a bigger threat to win.

Taichi (who btw has done a ton of shitty things in his life, and has been an unprofessional in the ring to top it off) vs Tana was my favorite of the 4. Whatever can be said about Taichi, he's clearly trying his best & it's working out pretty well. I liked the Tana match better than both of the Naito matches Taichi had, this is the first time I thought Taichi looked actually kind of good and worth giving any spotlight to, and Tana was awesome, such a great mind for wrestling. He was my pick & I hope he wins the tournament. Then again him fighting for his title record is clearly the best storyline so Gedo might not want to go that route.

Stars:
    Juice/Yujiro: ***1/2
    Ishii/Elgin: ***3/4
    Archer/Fale: **1/2
    Tanahashi/Taichi: ***3/4
    Angels in Flight~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Kota Ibushi vs YOSHI-HASHI: Great match. Excellent match between the two. They worked very well together. Big match YOSHI-HASHI does it again. Ibushi with a tremendous moonsault of a balcony. YH and Kota had a striking battle which are always great. Couple of close falls where I thought HE was going to get the win. Match of the tournament by far. ****¼

Zack Sabre Jr vs Tetsuya Naito: Sabre masterclass. Sabre was very aggressive with his limb work throughout the match, trying every submission trying to eat Naito but couldn't until he went for Naoto's famous injured knee which got him the win. Great match. ****.

Out of the two matches, I thought the Naito vs Sabre match was the more likely match to have an upset and I wasn't disappointed. The undercard was probably the worst of the three nights so far but the top two matches were the best out of the three.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I'm driving the YH train right now and he's delivered for me in perhaps the best match of his career. Ibushi was awesome in his own right and the crowd was all in on both men. My problem is YH still needs a big win, he's very close to breaking through the glass ceiling but he needs better booking as he's clearly become one of their best in-ring performers. Ibushi super talented like everyone knows, but wish he'd just end up saying "screw this stuff with Kenny, I just want the title now" and went his own way. It'll be hard to top this as the match of the tournament.

Main event was great and they have been setting up this Zack win all week since they were targeting the arm so surprised they went to the knee. At first I thought Naito would win but after the Taichi match where he went after Naito and set up a ZSJ win perfectly. Plus you get Naito another match for next month to get his win over ZSJ back. Could see him challenging Suzuki as the main event of Dontaku to complete his SZKG run, maybe even winning the title.

After a slow start to the month THIS was the show where we got our bangers. These might have been favored over every February match for me.

Stars:
    YOSHI-HASHI/Ibushi: ****1/2
    ZSJ/Naito: ****1/4
    Angels in Flight~

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

ozzyozyakup10

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    In the last three tournaments, the loser of Wrestle Kingdom main-event got knocked out in the first round. I don't see why is it impossible for Sabre to pull off an upset against Naito in the first round.
    THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE.

Status

Solid shows so far.

Knew there were a few upsets to happen in the first round and I'm glad that Naito and Ishii are out early as opposed to going far if they weren't planned to win the thing.

ZSJ vs Tanahashi final could be happening. Doubt Ibushi makes the final unless he's winning it. Shouldn't be against Tanahashi if that's the case as I think the objective would be to get the fans totally behind someone for their title shot vs Okada. Like Shibata last year.

Tana needs to get past Fale first, though.

Okada using the submission finisher more has me curious...

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Pretty much only watched the tournament matches themselves in all of this, for a multitude of reasons, but I've enjoyed it a lot so far. Started out shaky though.

Juice and Ishii were lucky to get out of the first round with their lives, after facing sloppy opposition and Elgin over Ishii was a shitty booking decision purely from a story perspective, never mind anything else. Elgin redeemed his awful performance in the first round in the quarters against Juice thankfully, but it doesn't really make up for putting him over Ishii when that's the better story and Big Mike's doing nothing for you in the market you're targeting him at. He's lucky he seems to be over with the Japanese fans to be honest.

Tanahashi/Taichi and Fale/Archer were both nothing matches for me but the right guys went over and I liked the chemistry between Tana and Bad Luck so I enjoyed their quarter final thoroughly.

YOSHI-HASHI has been stunning me this year; his match with Naito, his match here with Ibushi - people kept telling me he had it in him but I never saw it until now. He still needs to start looking like he gives a shit or else join LIJ where that works for him, but I'm not looking at his matches with the idea that they'll send me to sleep anymore. Naito/Sabre was great and I was so glad that ZSJ went over. I wasn't expecting Zack to go over Kota, but thinking about it with hindsight, it makes sense given that Kota was never winning this thing and you don't need to be sowing seeds of doubt between him and Kenny just yet anyway. That was my match of the tournament so far and I doubt it'll be beaten.

Yano vs. Davey Boy Jr was far more enjoyable than I was expecting. As was Chuckie T vs. SANADA. Couldn't believe how much fun I had with both and how invested I got in them. I also think that Yano and SANADA have good chemistry in ring so I was really happy to get that match in the quarters.

Robinson vs. Tanahashi was great, it built really well and by the end I was totally buying the idea that Juice might win even though I've been pretty much locked in on the idea that Tana was going all the way to the final and beyond since the brackets were announced. I've had my moments of doubts but once he beat Taichi in the first round it felt pretty much final for me. Juice looked great in defeat and it might be my personal favourite Juice match since I started watching New Japan. It's this or Omega, I reckon.

Quite looking forward to ZSJ vs. SANADA and I can see it going either way and the final being good but I'm personally pulling for Sabre to get in there because the story's better I feel. Sabre's limb work and the Ace slowly falling apart at the seams... I mean, c'mon, that shit writes itself.

Other things I have enjoyed; Chuckie T and (especially) David Finlay on commentary, the Kota Ibushi/Chase Owens relationship (and the greater Bullet Club of it all as well - but mostly just those two) and how it's evolved from them teaming at Honor Rising with Kenny there, to being a little apprehensive about it just being the two of them, to Chase seemingly vouching for Kota with the other members of BC, to them looking like a pretty decent tag team act in their own right and having tag moves they do together and looking genuinely friendly around each other... it's been a joy to see the evolution of and I'm glad that their matches are the one's that I've gone out of my way to check out on the undercards over everything else.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Sanada vs Zack Sabre Jr was fantastic match. Excellently paced. Structured very well. And was technically great. The first part of the match where Sanada was actually beating Sabre in the technical department was very good to see and just shows another side to Sanada that I hope he can bring out when he gets his singles run later in the year. Zack Sabre Jr's facial expressions during that was great as well, showing frustration and even a hint of regret for thinking that Sanada would go down easy. The second part was good as well with Sabre finally getting on top of Sanada, attacking both the arms hindering Sanada's use of the cold skull which it did slightly later on The third part was outstanding though with Sanada trying with all his might to get out of the submissions using his strength, trying to hit the moonsault, TKO, everything but Sabre is just so good that eventually Sanada had no choice but to tap out. Great match. Best of the tournament by far. ****1/2

Juice Robinson vs Hiroshi Tanahashi was a slow match somewhat but I think it was really good and told a consistent story with some real good selling from both men. ****

Zack Sabre Jr vs Kota Ibushi was a great back and forth. Sabre targeting the legs and arms of Kota Ibushi was excellent. That nasty double arm submission hold was a joy to see. You could see the agony on Ibushi's face. Ibushi was great as well. That triangle into the powerbomb was so well done, incredible displays of strength.****1/2

Kota Ibushi vs YOSHI-HASHI was a great match. Excellent match between the two. They worked very well together. Big match YOSHI-HASHI does it again. Ibushi with a tremendous moonsault of a balcony. YH and Kota had a striking battle which are always great. Couple of close falls where I thought HE was going to get the win. ****1/4

Zack Sabre Jr vs Tetsuya Naito was another good Sabre match. Sabre was very aggressive with his limb work throughout the match, trying every submission trying to eat Naito but couldn't until he went for Naito's famous injured knee which got him the win. Great match. ****

Zack Sabre Jr is the MVP of the New Japan Cup so far.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Maybe I'm just too negative, but you really love these SANADA matches, MC. To me his match with ZSJ was by far the worst of the 3 ZSJ matches. He was positioned largely as working from under but I don't think that's his strength as the world's least charismatic wrestler. His selling was not engaging at all since he was forced to work babyface against ZSJ who's getting a push. I had that match at ***1/4. Just a bit ahead of SANADA/Chuck.

Thought Ibushi/ZSJ was either the best or 2nd best match of the tournament along with Ibushi/YH, I think Ibushi has been MVP so far though Tana/ZSJ could bring down the house. Tana/Juice was great & Juice has raised his stock for sure through this NJC. Tana is on another level in terms of psychology.

Agreed with JT on Finlay on commentary, the guy is the total package! I'm totally leading the Finlay train, so underrated. Was super happy he got the upset win in the Tana/Okada tag even though it was just Chuck. Was equally dismayed at YH taking a clean fall to KES though.
    Last edited by Zero; 03-18-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    Angels in Flight~

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

It wouldn't surprise me if I was the only one who liked the match as much as I did. I've been told that I have a knack for liking unpopular matches and disliking popular matches. Sanada doesn't have a lot of charisma but I always look forward to his matches so he is doing something correctly.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Yeah, it’s not just MC but the infatuation of Sanada is so weird to me. I watched only a few of the actual tournament matches, including all three ZSJ matches. The Naito match was very good and the Ibushi match was incredible. With Sanada/ZSJ, it’s still a pretty good match but we already know ZSJ’s approach in the tournament right now so he’s going to be doing pretty much the same thing and Sanada obviously won’t go over. So knowing that and then not really seeing something as enticing as the ZSJ/Ibushi match, I don’t think it was anything special, probably not in the top three of Cup matches. Sanada slowly becoming the most overrated New Japan talent going right now.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Status

Alot of people seem to think SANADA's on the cusp of being something great for literally no good reason at all.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Personal opinion but I don’t think a wrestler has impressed me less with the opportunities he’s been given in 2018 more than Sanada.

Its amusing to me that booker of the decade Gedo now has positioned Naito to where he’ll either be losing to Suzuki, or he’ll be the new IC champion and exactly where he was last year.

im loving the ZSJ push during this tornament.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Looks like I'm in the minority which I'm fine with. Sanada has had a great year and performed to a high level at every opportunity given to him, in my opinion. Really can't think of a match of his that I haven't enjoyed thus far.

I really don't want Naito to regain the Intercontinental, it feels too much of a step back from winning the IWGP Heavyweight Title. Would prefer that they don't have the title match. It's a bad situation to be in. Would prefer Naito team with Sanada/Evil(when he returns) until Dominion because I don't think winning the IC title or losing to Suzuki helps Naito in anyway.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

SANADA is just the YOSHI-HASHI of LIJ except he has a good look to himself. Other than that - not much to him, bit bland and not much there to get me invested. Matches are fine but he's not someone I'm interested in.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Holy shit Zack won.

Okada Vs ZSJ. ZSJ’s gonna tap to the cobra clutch.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The Submissions specialist vs Zack Sabre Jr at Sakura Genesis

JUST TAP OUT

Now the cup is over, here is my thoughts on the entire cup. I thought it was a decent tournament overall. There were some incredible matches this year such as Sanada vs Zack Sabre Jr, Kota Ibushi vs YOSHI-HASHI and Kota Ibushi vs Zack Sabre Jr. Some fairly good matches like Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Taichi and Michael Elgin vs Tomohiro Ishii. There has been some awful moments like that Yano vs DBS Jr match. But, there has been more good then bad.

Match rankings - Best to Worst

Sanada vs Zack Sabre Jr ****½ - 18/03

Kota Ibushi vs Zack Sabre Jr ****½ - 15/03

Kota Ibushi vs YOSHI-HASHI ****¼ - 11/03

Zack Sabre Jr vs Tetsuya Naito **** - 11/03

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Juice Robinson - **** 16/03

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr - ***¾ 21/03

Michael Elgin vs Tomohiro Ishii ***¾ - 09/03

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Taichi ***¾ - 10/03

Sanada vs YOSHI-HASHI ***½ - 06/03

Sanada vs Chuckie T ***½ - 12/03

Taichi vs Tetsuya Naito ***½ - 06/03

Sanada vs Toru Yano ***¼ - 15/03

Bad Luck Fale vs Lance Archer **½ - 10/03

Juice Robinson vs Yujiro Takahashi ** - 09/03

Toru Yano vs Davey Boy Smith Jr *¼ - 12/03
    Last edited by MC 16; 03-21-2018 at 06:58 AM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

Excited for ZSJ vs Okada. They've booked ZSJ well. NJ Cup booked really well too although I really thought Tanahashi was going to win... but he doesn't need it so much and they've arguably created a new 'star' of sorts. Could do without this stupid "Ace Killer" moniker people are throwing about though.

Looking forward to Sakura Genesis and Strong Style Evolved.

Ibushi vs ZSJ was match of the tourney. Liked Tana vs Juice too. Not really super big on anything else in the tournament excluding the final.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information