Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Japan Cup 2018 - Begins March 9th

SAY MY NAME

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW New Japan Cup 2018 - Begins March 9th

Brackets are out. Some interesting possibilities here with Naito/ZSJ leading to Naito/Ibushi and then a potential semi final on the other side of the bracket with Tanahashi Vs Ishii. I feel like the obvious winner here is Tanahashi so he can challenge for Okada to protect his record from being broken.

The winner of the tournament can challenge for either the IWGP Heavyweight title, IWGP IC title, IWGP US title or the NEVER Openweight title at Sakura Genesis in April

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Re: New Japan Cup 2018 - Begins Match 9th

Based on the brackets, the semi finals are going to be Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tomohiro Ishii (Yes!!) and Sanada vs Tetsuya Naito/Kota Ibushi (Even bigger Yes).

Love Sabre but I didn't see him beating Naito or even if he does, no way is he beating Tanahashi in the finals. Still Naito vs Sabre is an amazing match to have in the first round. They had a great match in the G1 and I don't expect any different in the New Japan Cup. Kota Ibushi taking on YOSHI-HASHI sounds pretty good to me as well. YOSHI-HASHI has been really good for a good while now and Ibushi is Ibushi . Michael Elgin vs Tomohiro Ishii is a mixed bag for me. Still it looks good.
    Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

You guys are sleeping on Juice but I think the final is Tanahashi/Naito because why the fuck not.

Chuckie T in the Cup, rad.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

SAY MY NAME

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    You guys are sleeping on Juice but I think the final is Tanahashi/Naito because why the fuck not.

Chuckie T in the Cup, rad.
    In what way are we sleeping on Juice? as a potential semi-finalists? or as a wrestler? because we haven't said anything negative about that. I just feel like with the Switchblade angle and how he keeps teasing that Ishii should challenge Okada that Ishii won't be dumped out of the tournament early. He'll beat Yujiro for sure.

Once Beretta got injured and Chuckie took his place I think they should of switched up the brackets to give us Yano Vs Chuck Taylor for the lols.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

No they shouldn’t.

And I think Juice could beat Ishii. Still a story that Juice wants gold. Just as much as a story as Ishii.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    In what way are we sleeping on Juice? as a potential semi-finalists? or as a wrestler? because we haven't said anything negative about that. I just feel like with the Switchblade angle and how he keeps teasing that Ishii should challenge Okada that Ishii won't be dumped out of the tournament early. He'll beat Yujiro for sure.

Once Beretta got injured and Chuckie took his place I think they should of switched up the brackets to give us Yano Vs Chuck Taylor for the lols.
    I think it's because neither of us mentioned Juice at all.

TBH, I totally forgot about Juice. That's probably down to him not doing anything other then meaningless tags lately. It's obvious that he will beat Yujiro Takahashi and face Ishii which sounds pretty good to me. I think that's his level at the moment. Maybe after Sakura Genesis he will get an Openweight Title feud with Hirooki Goto.
    Spoiler:

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status

Juice is really good but not a factor for this tournament. Definitely feel the Ishii/Switchblade dynamic is higher on the pecking order for NJPW at this moment. Beating Yujiro should be easy though.

I wonder why Ibushi is in this tournament and not Kenny. They've pushed that story even above the title atm so you would think it would be both to tease them facing off in the final and having Cody push for them to fight each other or neither would be in to sell them as a full tag team. Having half the team in is weird imo.

I think Tanahashi wins too, I think Ishii & Ibushi are dark horses though because they have built in storylines for their win.

Maybe they can have Yano/Chuck in the second round. I think Yano is for sure beating DBS and they usually pull an upset or two in this tournament.
    Bull's Poseidon~

Gokumon-to~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Status

I was expecting Trent to be in this.

Tana just needs to stay healthy and he should do fine.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTiger View Post
    I was expecting Trent to be in this.

Tana just needs to stay healthy and he should do fine.
    Trent got injured at the latest PWG show
    Spoiler:

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Maybe they can have Yano/Chuck in the second round. I think Yano is for sure beating DBS and they usually pull an upset or two in this tournament.
    I don't feel like there's a realistic chance of Yano/Chuck in Round 2 but a boy can dream.

Can't wait to see how salty everyone is when they see the real final: Archer vs DBS
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

BLACKHEART

Status

Kenny said somewhere that he opted to stay out of the NJ Cup this year because he wants to settle the stuff between him, Cody, and the BC before anything else.

Cool to see Sexy Chuckie T in this. I’m expecting Naito to go far, as well as Kota and Tana.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

That reasoning makes no sense since Ibushi is in the Cup.
    Spoiler:

The Saltmaker

Status
      Country                    Turkey

In the last three tournaments, the loser of Wrestle Kingdom main-event got knocked out in the first round. I don't see why is it impossible for Sabre to pull off an upset against Naito in the first round.

DO YOU HAVE A MINUTE TO TALK ABOUT OUR LORD AND SAVIOR GARY MEDEL?

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    It's not Ibushi's cross to bear, though. It's Omega's faction and his civil war. Ibushi's just his friend. If Ibushi wins this, it probably leads to dissension between him and Kenny to lead into WK13. I honestly don't know who wins the tournament, I would guess Tanahashi. Don't see Naito doing well for some reason.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    It's not Ibushi's cross to bear, though. It's Omega's faction and his civil war. Ibushi's just his friend. If Ibushi wins this, it probably leads to dissension between him and Kenny to lead into WK13. I honestly don't know who wins the tournament, I would guess Tanahashi. Don't see Naito doing well for some reason.
    True but the reasoning is very dodgy. It really does seem a strong enough reason to miss the Cup to me. Tanahashi is winning it, no doubt.
    Spoiler:

SAY MY NAME

Status

The shoot reason literally could just be Kenny wants a rest after the Australia tour and the Golden lovers tags to recharge before going all out again at Strong Style Evolved and mania week. Kota on the other hand didn't wrestle the Australia tour so he's a little fresher. Plus, you know Kenny has no chance to win because he has his hands full elsewhere so why enter him in a competition just for him to get beat. This competition has enough name value with Tanahashi and Naito, plus plenty of interest and opporunties for other guys to shine.

He just isn't needed in the tournament.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I feel like the obvious winner here is Tanahashi so he can challenge for Okada to protect his record from being broken.
    Makes the most sense, assuming his limbs don't fall off before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    In the last three tournaments, the loser of Wrestle Kingdom main-event got knocked out in the first round. I don't see why is it impossible for Sabre to pull off an upset against Naito in the first round.
    I'd legit be one hundred per cent okay with this. I love Naito but the further he goes in the tournament, the more he has to win it and unless that's what's happening (which I'm doubting) there's no reason to build people's hopes up again, just for him to fail again.

True but the reasoning is very dodgy. It really does seem a strong enough reason to miss the Cup to me.
    I don't get your reasoning on this. Ibushi is a part of the feud with Cody but it's not his feud. He and Kenny aren't attached at the hip and they don't need to hold each others hands through their individual feuds. If it were a tag team feud between the Lovers, Cody and Hangman then, yeah, you're right... but it's been very much shown to be a singles feud between Kenny and Cody over the leadership of Bullet Club and to a lesser extent the adoration of the fans; it has featured players, with Kota and the rest of Bullet Club, specifically the Being The Elite Cast, but it's very much two guys butting heads over personal disagreements, why Kota can't enter this tournament on his own while Kenny sorts out his drama baffles me. Also, you're ignoring the potential for Kota to lose thanks to shenanigans to further cause tension between Kenny and Cody. Whether or not that's a possibility, I have no idea, I don't know who's booked for the cards this takes place on, but that potential is there nonetheless.

I'm looking forward to this. It's my first New Japan cup and the potential in the quarters and semi's (and of course the final) seems very tasty.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JT Grizzle View Post
    I don't get your reasoning on this. Ibushi is a part of the feud with Cody but it's not his feud. He and Kenny aren't attached at the hip and they don't need to hold each others hands through their individual feuds. If it were a tag team feud between the Lovers, Cody and Hangman then, yeah, you're right... but it's been very much shown to be a singles feud between Kenny and Cody over the leadership of Bullet Club and to a lesser extent the adoration of the fans; it has featured players, with Kota and the rest of Bullet Club, specifically the Being The Elite Cast, but it's very much two guys butting heads over personal disagreements, why Kota can't enter this tournament on his own while Kenny sorts out his drama baffles me. Also, you're ignoring the potential for Kota to lose thanks to shenanigans to further cause tension between Kenny and Cody. Whether or not that's a possibility, I have no idea, I don't know who's booked for the cards this takes place on, but that potential is there nonetheless.

I'm looking forward to this. It's my first New Japan cup and the potential in the quarters and semi's (and of course the final) seems very tasty.
    I totally get that. I just don't think it's a strong enough reason for Omega to miss the cup altogether. Kenny Omega saying that he isn't joining the cup for the reason is a bit weak for me, I would rather they play up that Kenny's mind is elsewhere during the cup and have him lose Yano or Juice, giving them a rub. To me, that would be just as an effective way to tell this story. Omega's friction was played up in his US title loss, why not continue that? It's an example of show, not tell. But this doesn't matter since he isn't in the cup now. Moving on.

Zack beating Natio could be very likely. It will also mean Kota Ibushi (assuming he wins against YOSHI-HASHI) will face Zack Sabre Jr. which sounds amazing. They had a wonderful match last year in the G1 and it could potentially turn out to be match of the tournament.
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Tomoyuki Oka, Shota Umino, & Tetsuhiro Yagi vs. Chuckie T, Toru Yano, & Hirooki Goto: Real good opener, it felt very different since one team was entirely Young Lions. CHAOS were actually heels in the match. Yano wasn’t his comedic self, he did his turnbuckle spots but was aggressive in his offence which I loved. The Young Lions shows some tremendous babyface fire, especially Oka who BEAT GOTO IN A SLAP FIGHT!!!! Wow, good stuff. ***¼

Tonga Loa & Bad Luck Fale vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Lance Archer: Average Tag Team Match, nothing noteworthy: **

Tetsuya Naito, BUSHI and SANADA vs Zack Sabre Jr, Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado: Solid action, this match was primarily focused on getting over Zack Sabre Jr with him getting the submission win, trying to make him a formidable opponent for Tetsuya Naito. Job done: ***

Hiroshi Tanahashi, David Finlay and Toa Henare vs Minoru Suzuki, Taichi and Takashi Iizuka: Another solid Tag Match that progressed a few storylines, Suzuki counting to target Tanahashi’s leg, as well as Taichi who faces Tanahashi tomorrow. David Finlay again impresses, Henare look pretty good as well and got some good offence in. LET’S GO TAICHI: ***

Kota Ibushi and Chase Owens vs Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI: Odd pairing with Chase Owens and Kota Ibushi but I like it.. The match itself was decent, had some good action involved: ***

Juice Robinson vs Yujiro Takahashi: This DRAGGED. The commentary team said that they are past the 10 minute mark and I was like, “what?” It feels much longer then that. Nothing was really interesting in this match. Sad for Juice since this is his first singles match since Omega, poor match. Though it picked up in the last two minutes: **

Michael Elgin vs Tomohiro Ishii: The match was really good. The wrestling was great stuff throughout the match but there wasn’t a lot of heat for the match which is a shame. The crowd was into it a little but they never went crazy. The match lacked some urgency as well. One part of the match, Ishii almost died with a sicking neck bump from the top. Glad Ishii could continue to wrestle, I thought he was paralyzed after that. In the match they had a talk and I think that they might have called an audible and changed the winner to Elgin but I may be wrong. Can't believe Ishii lost. ***¾
    Spoiler:

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Ishii's neck is SIX STARS

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information