Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

GOAT

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2018 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

Well, to be fair, you never did say which one you do!

But hey, I even said poor might have been an overstatement. But in comparison to the top 5 O Lines the rest on the top 10 are pretty lacking. And a key point is the Packers have some serious holes in that O Line, and Rodgers is probably going to want to avoid having any more injuries.

Because usually when these kind of injuries start happening, they keep happening.

And one thing you and I will 100% see absolutely eye to eye on, and agree entirely on. If Rodgers goes down, be it for the season or for good. That's it. And unlike The Eagles, that's the case for many teams, but for The Packers (And Seahawks), that's just completely game over if their QB goes.
    Fate whispers to the warrior
    'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back,

I am the storm.

Status

I think Rodgers and Tae have a pretty good connection, even if it's not quite the absolute psychic mind link he had with Jordy. Don't forget last year in Dallas when they missed on the goal line with the first shot, he went right back to Adams on the same route on second down and got the touchdown.

tbh Boyle did look good yesterday but I think I was most impressed with Kizer of the three QBs. At the very least he looked like he'd put up a better fight than Hundley did if Rodgers gets hurt again.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Vayne, you know why they finished that way?

14 different variations in 16 games. Thats why.

Bulaga will play RT again this year
    Corey Linsley was great at Center, when he was healthy last year.

They brought in Joe Philbin to fix any O Line issues.

GOAT

Status

Kizer also had some pretty good experience in that trial by fire with The Browns.

I hate to say it, because I've seen a handful of Hundley interviews and he seems like a really awesome dude. But he just doesn't seem even backup QB level in the NFL. Not with a team like Packers. If he was on a loaded team like Eagles? Maybe.

Sayer, we saw a similar set up in Dallas.

Unfortunately, despite 2016 us by far having the best O Line in the league, 2017 was...Well, a mess.

Doug Free retired.
    Ronald Leary went to the Broncos.
    Tyron Smith was injured playing in some games, and out due to injury in others.

So we had Chaz Green fill in for Tyron in that Falcons game and...........

Well, did you see the Falcons game?

Yeah..............

Switching in and out on the O Line doesn't always look pretty.
    Last edited by TB12; 08-11-2018 at 12:08 AM.

I am the storm.

Sangre por Sangre

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Apparently and I saw it in Preseason Tyrod is balling, but Tyrod balled with the Bills because of McCoy back there covering up alot the faults of his at times. We will see if he can lead this Browns team who is very young, or will Mayfield be playing sooner rather than later. I expect him to get that spot by Week 5 and the Browns are probably 1-3 or 0-4 by the time. I do like the culture changing, they want to win I'm sure all the past teams do, but I never felt like as much I do watching Episode 1 of this. Mayfield having to buy a RV

Yeah I would be the guy to take a dump in there and let it sit.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

Vikings played a solid game last night. Despite the o-line injuries it looked to be that it was VERY good protecting Capt. Kirk, Trevor Siemian, and Kyle Sloter.

Roc Thomas looked like a stud and Latavius Murray looked like he could be a strong starter in any team.

The defense looked solid as well.

Our new kicker, Dan Carlson, looked great too, smashing a 57 yard field goal that looked like it would have been good from 60+.

Aside from Carlson though, Special Teams looked lacklustre. Could use more work, hopefully.

Coming Soon
    The InVasion - A Mafia Game

Grim's Threads:

Coming Soon
    The Spencer Mansion: A Resident Evil MAFIA

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sadio HoHo View Post

Apparently and I saw it in Preseason Tyrod is balling, but Tyrod balled with the Bills because of McCoy back there covering up alot the faults of his at times. We will see if he can lead this Browns team who is very young, or will Mayfield be playing sooner rather than later. I expect him to get that spot by Week 5 and the Browns are probably 1-3 or 0-4 by the time. I do like the culture changing, they want to win I'm sure all the past teams do, but I never felt like as much I do watching Episode 1 of this. Mayfield having to buy a RV

Yeah I would be the guy to take a dump in there and let it sit.
    In my Madden franchise Mayfield took over in Week 3 and beat the Jets on Thursday night. The Browns went on to go 8-7-1 and made the playoffs as a wild card team. They lost to the Raiders in their first playoff game in nearly 20 years though, losing in overtime.

Realistically I actually think Tyrod has the tools to keep the job for the year while Mayfield learns, and then they let him hit free agency next year. But then again it's the Browns and they'll probably a quick hook on Taylor. If the Browns are back to what they were last year they'll look for a change even if Taylor isn't the problem.

GOAT

Status

Keep Tyrod around, either way. We still don't know how Baker will handle a regular season game. He looked good in the one game in the NFL he's ever played which was preseason.

I'm not saying he won't do a great job for The Browns, but I think it's a safer move to let Tyrod start and then maybe in non-pivotal games let Mayfield get some snaps.

Then again, if Tyrod struggles, and the season starts looking anything like a typical Browns season....Really no reason to not try starting Baker.

I am the storm.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Tyrod is the starter, Jackson's already said as much in interviews. He learned his lesson last year by leaving Kizer to the wolves and he's not about to make that mistake again. I won't be shocked if Mayfield doesn't get a lot of action this year unless the Browns can Jackson partway through a predictably bad season and the new coach goes for a QB change.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

GOAT

Status

Semi-relevant.

Meanwhile, while the NFL is addressing CTE concerns, tackling form, etc......The CFL apparently gives no fucks when someone gets obviously concussed on the field, and the player just gets to keep playing.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ta...issing-a-snap/

Then again, last year similar happened with Tom Savage on the Texans.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/10/...xans-t-j-yates

Edit:

Also, Jags suspend Jalen Ramsey.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...edium=referral
    Last edited by TB12; 08-12-2018 at 07:35 PM.

I am the storm.

Status

Probably all I'll have to add to an NFL thread this year... but regarding Manziel... Yeah, the CFL really isn't any better than the NFL when it comes to a lot of these kind of issues. Less public and media pressure to force teams to be accountable instead of just worrying about results. Football isn't alone amongst sports when it comes to this, but its definitely amongst the worst offenders. Player safety doesn't REALLY matter to the leagues unless public pressure forces them to care.

Status

I still hold the unpopular opinion that the league really shouldn't be changing long standing rules and the game in order to avoid CTE or concussions. Players know what they're signing up for when they play the game.

It's to the point where the NFL forces EA Sports to take concussions out of the Madden games because they think it sheds too negative of a light on them. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Make the NFLPA agree to a waiver at the next CBA, and move on.

GOAT

Status

The problem with CTE is it does not just effect the players.

Depending on the part of the brain effected, it can lead to some dire consequences.

CTE is why what happened with Chris Benoit happened.
    CTE is why what happened with Jovan Belcher happened.
    CTE likely played a roll in what happened with Aaron Hernandez.

There are a shockingly large amount of cases in almost every contact sport of CTE, and a large number of those cases the person ends up becoming a danger to others. Depression, memory blanks, suicidal thoughts, paranoia, aggression, etc. Very bad mix, especially when dealing with certain parts of the brain.

Now, for many other cases, you see players pass from unrelated issues, and still have advanced CTE. The why behind that is not entirely known. But you're getting college kids offing themselves, having memory blanks, aggression, etc. And being found to have CTE.

I am the storm.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TB12 View Post
    The problem with CTE is it does not just effect the players.

Depending on the part of the brain effected, it can lead to some dire consequences.

CTE is why what happened with Chris Benoit happened.
    CTE is why what happened with Jovan Belcher happened.
    CTE likely played a roll in what happened with Aaron Hernandez.

There are a shockingly large amount of cases in almost every contact sport of CTE, and a large number of those cases the person ends up becoming a danger to others. Depression, memory blanks, suicidal thoughts, paranoia, aggression, etc. Very bad mix, especially when dealing with certain parts of the brain.

Now, for many other cases, you see players pass from unrelated issues, and still have advanced CTE. The why behind that is not entirely known. But you're getting college kids offing themselves, having memory blanks, aggression, etc. And being found to have CTE.
    Yes, Aaron Hernandez had CTE all his life when he acted like a thug and that's what made him kill those guys in a gang shootout.

I read something about him supposedly having in after he died. Maybe, but I don't think that played any role in him murdering the people he did. Or even killing himself for that matter...I believe he did that because it meant his wife and daughter could get his money. Quite poetic honestly.

GOAT

Status

Aaron possibly had it, given the stage it was, as early as his HS football days. That's why unlike the others I said likely played a roll in.

It certainly did in his suicide. He had been experiencing memory blanks, paranoia, and depression. He had written Bible versus and gotten very cryptic and religious at the end, and if you read the details on his suicide it's very eerily similar to how paranoid and the religious aspect that seems to be associated with many CTE cases. Benoit for example, became deeply religious near the end, and put Bibles next to his son and wife after killing them.

Again, Aaron is one case of many. Can we really say "People know what they sign up for" is a fair way to see it when people become potentially dangerous to others as a byproduct of such and there are numerous documented cases of such all being shockingly similar and backed by science as correlation?

I am the storm.

GOAT

Status

I am the storm.

Sangre por Sangre

Status

I swear this new Helmet rule is going to turn my hair completely white by the end of the Season for real. Pretty much you gotta see what you hit with your Helmet you can't put your Helmet down on a hit even if you put the Shoulder into the guy if the Helmet is down and they see if Flag. How can you stop yourself when a WR, RB, or TE is low with his Helmet down and not hit him in the same way? NFL one of the worst new rules I've ever see in any Sport over the years.

Real Women of Genius

GOAT

Status

Would you rather rampant neck injuries and CTE continue to be so widespread? Ryan Shazier would still be playing if he tackled differently.

The majority of players I've heard and previous players (especially) are in favor of it.

Evolve and adapt. Tackle more like a rugby style tackle like they do in Seattle.

I am the storm.

Sangre por Sangre

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TB12 View Post
    Would you rather rampant neck injuries and CTE continue to be so widespread? Ryan Shazier would still be playing if he tackled differently.

The majority of players I've heard and previous players (especially) are in favor of it.

Evolve and adapt. Tackle more like a rugby style tackle like they do in Seattle.
    I don't have problems with the call overall and I understand the point of it to help protect players going forward but at the same time they are inconsistent on how they are making that call so far. If a player goes head first into your Chest, how you can stop him and try to hit him perfectly and not get a Flagged called? I'm mean they pretty put this Call into Play this Season it's not like it's been in for a few Seasons for adjustments teams are getting flags everywhere with this. I swear as I watch Pats/Eagles right now I've seen over 20 plays that fit the rule and only a few of them were called

Real Women of Genius

GOAT

Status

It's trial and error currently, and they are using the practice season as a way to get a bunch of film on it to establish it.

But overall, I think it's a good thing.

I am the storm.

Thread Information