Thread: The Switchblade Effect

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status
      Country                    England

The Switchblade Effect

I think he's still got some way to go in being what I want him to be in-ring although he's already improved from the Tanahashi match, but I LOVE the effect Jay White's character has had on the New Japan landscape since he joined Chaos and the potential angles and matches it's setting up. This guy is the most devious, untrustworthy, snake in the grass on the roster, and Okada is the biggest fool for inviting him into Chaos because it's gonna split the group apart eventually. He flat out told everyone at the press conference that he's using Chaos because he can't take on Bullet Club alone, he told Okada he's gonna come for his belt one day and he keeps stoking the fires of why stable mates aren't going after each others titles. Kazuchika Okada Vs Will Ospreay has already been set up for the anniversary show and in a recent interview he said that Tomohiro Ishii is his pick to win the New Japan Cup (good taste) and he'll be honoured to defend his US title against Ishii but would also like to see him challenge Okada who will probably try to talk Ishii out of it because he wants to hold everyone back in Chaos. What a fucking shit stirrer, and what a way to work an angle into the NJ Cup because three of the titles the winner can challenge for are in Chaos possession.

It's not just Okada too, he suckered Omega into thinking he had joined Bullet Club only to attack him, and then after his match with David Finlay on this recent tour he suckered his former young lion friend into a post match attack. Everyone is falling for this guy and paying the price for it.

In winning the US title from Kenny Omega he's already started the breakup of the Bullet Club like he said he was going to do, but I think more importantly he's gonna end up breaking up the bloated Chaos stable and/or maybe he'll lead a new stable himself. When it eventually happens, White Vs Okada is going to have a lot of backstory to it.

Anyone else really enjoying this angle or is it just me?

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Re: The Switchblade Effect

Awesome thread, and I am loving it too. The storyline works exceptionally well with him having been a young boy and spending so much time around New Japan. If this focus and storyline were given to a new foreigner, it may have still worked and been great, but it feels that much greater that it's someone who you can explain, in kayfabe terms, as having figured this out organically by observing it all for so long. He knows the ropes from actual experience and is bending them to his will. Pretty dope.

Haven't bought a Switchblade shirt (yet) but his gear and his branding/aesthetic is wonderful.

All hail the knife pervert.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Yeah, I'm not as down on the Tanahashi match as most, although it wasn't great by any means, but his presentation and the stuff he's been saying and doing has me very intrigued in him and what he can pull off in the future. They are laying a lot of story line pipe for where they can go with him and I'm never unhappy to see him.

Plus his matches are definitely getting better since WK12 and I'm looking forward to him facing Page for the US title.

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm a big fan of Jay White. I never would have predicted that he would go along the switchblade path back when I was watching him as a young lion or his time on excursion. But he just continues to get better in almost every way.

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status

Anyone else notice White is the only Chaos member with a NJPW title now?

قلبيlهذ

Status
      Country                    Egypt

To me, he might have as much "on the line" with his G1 performance than any other wrestler. This first 6 months has not been a successful start despite some promising character work early on. He more than anyone else needs to show what he's capable of especially if he does retain the title over Juice or he might be stuck in second match hell for a good while.
    صفر يحب الحرير ~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status

I’d go along with that. I do think he improved in his performance from a very iffy January to the point where I enjoyed his stuff with Finlay, and I’m reasonably confident I’ll enjoy his match with juice, but the push still feels like a botch so far and he’s a long way away from being a star in the company. He’s really gonna have to step it up in his output of good matches and it will be interesting to see how many points he ends up with.

Demon Bunny

Status
      Country                    United States

I havent watched njpw in while but, I heard hes been a guy to watch.

The Waffle King

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    I havent watched njpw in while but, I heard hes been a guy to watch.
    I mean he's a not bad wrestler just has really blown it on big stages. He's kinda like Cody where he's had average matches (besides a few) but his character work has made people overrate him.
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I'll be fine Daddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I mean it sounds hot to me. Some people work at Arby's and someone people just want to fuckmurder all night whatever floats your boat

Thread Information