Thread: Set up recording help?

I was a highwayman

Status
      Country                    United States

Set up recording help?

Excuse the vague title(couldn't think of what else to call it really) But if anyone could help me out I would be eternity grateful.

As many of you older members might know I have poop internet right now. But alas that will change soon I'll be able to start gaming and recording games( sup natty) the thing I need help with is whats the best(on a budget) way to go about it? I want to record my voice as well as the game(duh) but I haven't a clue how. could any of you nice gamers out there help a brother out and recommend a capture card, mic and anything else I might need?

SIX F'N STARS

Status

sup iceman

Depends, are you doing PC gaming or trying to use consoles? It's a bit easier with PC gaming because you can just download OBS ( https://obsproject.com/ ) and broadcast through that, it's very easy to setup but you can always PM me with questions. If it's console gaming, you'll need a capture card of some sort, or a graphics card that supports this sort of thing. Gets a little more complicated there.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

God's Gift to God

Status

Re: Set up recording help?

I have a blue snowball Mic and would recommend it if you don't want to go bananas on an expensive one. I have an Elgato HD60 as well to steam Xbox One stuff. I haven't actually streamed yet (which should change today with UFC 3 coming out) but the setup was a pain. So if you're doing console be aware it takes a bit more effort like Natty said.

Hooking the HDMIs where they go is easy but if you're using two monitors you'll get a sound delay. I have to hook a second headset into my primary monitor (the one I'm playing the Xbox on) in order to have my sound and gameplay actually in sync. I did a few test recordings and it looked like the video was synced correctly but I'm not sure if there will be a delay when streaming or not.

So if you're doing console you're gonna want at least 2 monitors and either speakers to hear your game in realtime or another headset to plug into the monitor. And if you're streaming that's gonna make it difficult to hear alerts and stuff. I'm planning on doing this tonight so I can give more info on a direct experience but this was way more involved than I anticipated.

PC is a piece of cake in comparison. Again if you're streaming I might even recommend Streamlabs new OBS since it's a lot easier to use than traditional OBS.

People's Champion

Status

Re: sup iceman

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Depends, are you doing PC gaming or trying to use consoles? It's a bit easier with PC gaming because you can just download OBS ( https://obsproject.com/ ) and broadcast through that, it's very easy to setup but you can always PM me with questions. If it's console gaming, you'll need a capture card of some sort, or a graphics card that supports this sort of thing. Gets a little more complicated there.
    OBS is amazing. You can record anything with it. You dont even have to stream it. You can save the videos into files
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

I was a highwayman

Status
      Country                    United States

Thank you all very much. I'm not sure on the streaming aspect yet. I'm gonna be on console and PC.

And cox I was reading about the delay that happens. I guess I got false info with that because the site said it would be visual lag so i'm glad it's just audio.

God's Gift to God

Status

I think it can be both depending on your setup. I really don't like how i have to have things setup to do this but I'm lucky that I only needed a spare headset. I'm using the old hd60 as well. The s is supposed to have virtually no lag

God's Gift to God

Status

Yo just to follow up if you're still planning on doing the console stuff. If you're recording I think there will still be a delay even if not streaming. I'm pretty sure, at least. It's multi-layered on how to change it depending on what all you're doing. If you're just recording your voice then all you should have to do is go into the advanced audio settings in OBS and add a 650ms offset. This will compensate for the delay between your capture device and sync your voice up to the action. This might not seem important but you'll be reacting in real-time since your mic picks up your commentary immediately in OBS. Whereas, especially using USB 2.0 capture devices, there is a natural delay. So you'll be reacting slightly before what everyone sees in the video and it can be a problem. If you end up using a webcam you'll need to sync that too. Assuming you have the webcam microphone muted (because you obviously don't want multiple sources creating echos), you'll need to right click on the webcam source and add an A-Sync filter of 650ms as well. This will sync your webcam with your microphone and should look normal.

This is strictly speaking about OBS + Elgato HD60 in my experience. I forgot to provide feedback so I just hopped in here real quick to drop you a few lines. Didn't re-read to see what all your setup might be. For me, since I stream PC and Xbox stuff, I have to constantly switch my settings because OBS doesn't save them for some reason. Like I can't stream on PC with zero offset and have a saved settings for it then switch to an Xbox setting that has the offset saved. I thought that was what different profiles were for but it doesn't save the audio settings for some reason. So beware of that as well if you're switching back and forth between PC and console. Like, it takes 10 seconds to switch the settings but you have to remember to do it otherwise you're going to have sync issues.

Thread Information