Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Matches: 2018

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Recommended Matches: 2018

Simple concept really. There's so much content out there now that it's impossible to see everything and as someone who's legitimately tried to watch everything over the last few months or so I know for a fact that not everything is worth wasting your time on, and I'm not just talking about WWE or Impact stuff here, there's plenty of indie and Japanese stuff that just isn't very good.

So... this thread is for people to point others to the good shit. Obviously it's all subjective and nothing is going to be universally liked by all, but I think that most of us here can pick and choose from the context of who's recommending what and where that's coming from and make decisions based on that. The point here is to make it easier for each of us to navigate our weekly wrestling schedules, so that we don't have to sit through hours of nonsense to get to the good stuff.

With that in mind, here are my recommendations from so far this year :-

Masato Tanaka vs. Yusaku Obata at ZERO1 Happy New Year (01/01/18)

Joe Doering vs. Zeus at AJPW New Year Wars Night 1 (02/01/18)

Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12 (04/01/18)

Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12 (04/01/18)
    Cody vs. Kota Ibushi at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12 (04/01/18)

Shuji Ishikawa vs. Mike Bailey at DDT D-Ou Grand Prix 2018 In Shinjuku (05/01/18)
    Oedo Tai (Hana Kimura & Kagetsu) vs. Queen's Quest (HZK & Momo Watanabe) at Stardom New Years Stars Night 2 (05/01/18)

Kenou vs. Kaito Kiyomiya at NOAH Navigation for the Future, Night 1 (06/01/18)
    Niebla Roja vs. Gran Guerrero at CMLL Lucha Libre Sabado Espectacular de Arena Mexico (06/01/18)

Kassius Ohno vs. Raul Mendoza on NXT Ep. #282 (10/01/18)
    Mike Bird vs. TK Cooper at PROGRESS Live at the Dome #3 (10/01/18)
    Maverick Mayhew vs. Connor Mills at PROGRESS Live at the Dome #3 (10/01/18)

Will Ospreay vs. Adam Brooks at PROGRESS Wrestling Chapter 61: Don’t Touch Me … Don’t … Don’t Touch Me (14/01/18)
    Pete Dunne vs. Joseph Conners at PROGRESS Wrestling Chapter 61: Don’t Touch Me … Don’t … Don’t Touch Me (14/01/18)

Angel de Oro vs. Cuatrero at NJPW Presents CMLL Fantastica Mania 2018 Night 6 (19/01/18)

Some are very obvious choices, others may be less so and in a perfect world I'd give a brief description for each match but there's too many for me to do that right here so if something pops out to you, ask and I'll give you my reasons for recommending it in this thread. In future I will include a brief description of whatever I recommend because I won't be doing such a long list at once, and I would hope anyone coming in here to recommend something would do the same.

There's lots of different types of matches in there, brutal brawls, high flying fast-paced flipfests, examples of what I consider good storytelling... basically, a little bit of everything.

The whole point here is that you guys add your recommended matches too and that those matches took place this year. I want this to be a way for people to keep up with current good wrestling, we have a bunch of threads pointing us to good stuff from the past, so this can be for keeping us up to date and maybe even getting us into newer stuff, while also managing (in a roundabout manner) to help up steer clear of the not-so-good stuff out there.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Recommended Matches: 2018

Great idea for a thread.

Lots of cool matches there RaiZ, very pleased to see Kenoh Vs Kiyomiya listed because that is probably my leading candidate for best match in January.

I'm still working my way through Fantasticamania, but I loved Volador Jr Vs Babario Cavenario from the 21/1 show. From WWE, I really would recommend that Joe Vs Reigns match from a couple weeks ago.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

THere is some great matches there. Here is my recommendations. Warning most of it is from DDT.

DDT
    Jiro Kuroshio vs Konosuke Takeshita (05/01 DDT D-King Day One), Shuji Ishikawa vs Mike Bailey (05/01 DDT D-King Day One), Keisuke Ishii vs. Konosuke Takeshita (14/01 DDT D-King Day Seven), and Konosuke Takeshita Vs HARASHIMA (10/01 DDT D-King Day Four). It's in order of my most recommended.

And there is a pretty good match from Evolve 99. Fred Yehi vs Timothy Thatcher.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Agreed that Kiyomiya vs Kenou is your best match thus far, it was mine as well.

I love the thread and agree with all your choices thus far. Really enjoyed Obata/Tanaka and thought Zeus/Doering was a lot of fun in a way that I'm not sure is as easy to appreciate because it was so different than modern house style in why it was great. To add on:

Hideki Suzuki & Daisuke Sekimoto vs. The Twin Towers (Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa) from BJW 1/2: Not quite as good as last year's Twin Towers 1/2 match but still a hugely fun sprint. Just over 10 minutes and all 4 men bring it. After ending his Strong Title reign Hideki shows he's still as awesome as ever with his great in-ring work and in particular a suplex on a bigger man that had to be one of the best in years. All action tag match that pretty much anyone could enjoy.

Also any Keisuke Ishii tournament match from DDT's tournament would be worth watching along with Shuji Ishikawa vs Mike Bailey.

Also Goto vs Suzuki, the best match on WK & my #2 MOTY thus far.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

What was I supposed to do? It's only natural that I'd fall in love...

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Where are all you guys watching DDT from? I refuse to believe you've all sub'd up to their network

I just watched Suzuki and Sabre Jr Vs Seven and Bate from High Stakes. Pretty good, Suzuki seems really motivated this month.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I rotate my subs from month to month, believe it or not this month I legit did sign up for DDT's this month.

You can watch some of their shows that air on TV in Japan free without even signing up when they air them live but I don't know if the tournament matches did.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Where are all you guys watching DDT from? I refuse to believe you've all sub'd up to their network

I just watched Suzuki and Sabre Jr Vs Seven and Bate from High Stakes. Pretty good, Suzuki seems really motivated this month.
    There is this website called DX TV. I watched it from there.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Two Matches from Progress Chapter 61 woah I have the Show ready to watch you know me, but I haven't had the energy to see the Show. I'm really interested to see to the Show now looking at the card.

Don't worry from time to time I'll add some Joshi Matches, but I'm behind on Shows in that category as well.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Great idea for a thread.

Lots of cool matches there RaiZ, very pleased to see Kenoh Vs Kiyomiya listed because that is probably my leading candidate for best match in January.

I'm still working my way through Fantasticamania, but I loved Volador Jr Vs Babario Cavenario from the 21/1 show. From WWE, I really would recommend that Joe Vs Reigns match from a couple weeks ago.
    I had a little panic just before I posted it, having typed it all up, my brain decided at that moment to convince me your thread for 2017 matches was actually for this year. My brain is my worst enemy sometimes.

It's the first time I picked up any NOAH in about eight years, and I'm so glad I did, that first show of the year was so much fun and that main event was great. If I was more familiar with both guys I probably would've rated it much higher but the Wrestle Kingdom and PROGRESS recommendations beat it out this month purely because I was way more invested in the guys wrestling.

I really enjoyed that second Fantastica Mania card they aired, everything was a lot of fun to watch.

You're the second person I've seen mention that Reigns/Joe match. I might have to go back and watch it. I skip RAW and SmackDown completely these days so this is low key a way to get genuine recommendations on what's worth giving a shot on those shows because I still love a lot of the talent in those locker rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Agreed that Kiyomiya vs Kenou is your best match thus far, it was mine as well.

I love the thread and agree with all your choices thus far. Really enjoyed Obata/Tanaka and thought Zeus/Doering was a lot of fun in a way that I'm not sure is as easy to appreciate because it was so different than modern house style in why it was great. To add on:

Hideki Suzuki & Daisuke Sekimoto vs. The Twin Towers (Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa) from BJW 1/2: Not quite as good as last year's Twin Towers 1/2 match but still a hugely fun sprint. Just over 10 minutes and all 4 men bring it. After ending his Strong Title reign Hideki shows he's still as awesome as ever with his great in-ring work and in particular a suplex on a bigger man that had to be one of the best in years. All action tag match that pretty much anyone could enjoy.

Also any Keisuke Ishii tournament match from DDT's tournament would be worth watching along with Shuji Ishikawa vs Mike Bailey.

Also Goto vs Suzuki, the best match on WK & my #2 MOTY thus far.
    The Obata/Tanaka and Zeus/Doering matches were quite a bit different from one another but also both very hard hitting and enjoyable to watch. I wasn't expecting to enjoy Zeus/Doering as much as I did when I saw them; I've never watched any All Japan before that card and I'd been severely underwhelmed by the undercard then these two hulking behemoths walked out and I was worried I was about to see something truly terrible - I've never been happier to be proven wrong! I loved that match and it convinced me to keep an eye on AJPW in general from no one because it proved that there was definitely something there I was gonna enjoy.

A friend hooked me up with DDT.

That tag match got me very excited when I saw it. Not sure if/when I'll get to see it but it's already on that imaginary list I keep in my head of matches to check out if I get a chance.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

The tag titles main event from January 3rd (day after the Triple Crown match was definitely worth watching too from AJPW, the Violence Giants are asserting themselves as one of the world's best teams. Your comments on the Triple Crown were totally true. Zeus & Joe both are great big men and I was so happy Zeus got a big match after what was essentially a train wreck of a 2017 in terms of awful booking. COME ON MOTHERFUCKER, SHOW ME POWER

Just to add on a Lucha match we had the secret best worker in CMLL Titán take on an old bastard, Mephisto and I actually liked as much if not more than Roja/Guerrero or Volador/Cavernario. It's from January 23rd & for the CMLL Welterweight Title.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I would recommend the Big Japan Pro Wrestling 02/01 show. Masashi Takeda vs. Takumi Tsukamoto, Daisuke Sekimoto & Hideki Suzuki vs. Twin Towers (Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa) and Daichi Hashimoto vs. Ryuichi Kawakami. All three matches were pretty good. Takeda vs Tsukamoto is a deathmatch just to give you a heads up. It's the best match out of all of them though.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Rusev Day

Status

For those not on the 205 Live bandwagon I highly recommend Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali from last night. Really good match.
    Twitter: @LukeGardener82 | Former BTB Overlord
    Order reviews WWE Pay Per Views

BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    For those not on the 205 Live bandwagon I highly recommend Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali from last night. Really good match.
    Agreed. Super fun exhibition showcase match. Started with your typical 205 Live crowd but had them won over by the end, if that's an indicator of how good it was.

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Just to add on a Lucha match we had the secret best worker in CMLL Titán take on an old bastard, Mephisto and I actually liked as much if not more than Roja/Guerrero or Volador/Cavernario. It's from January 23rd & for the CMLL Welterweight Title.
    Is that on the CMLL YouTube channel? If so I'll make sure to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    This has been going around tumblr quite a bit so I made note to catch it when I have a chance. Hoping to get to it today.

For anyone not watching NXT, first of all, why the fuck not and what is wrong with you? It's the only thing WWE produces with any consistent quality these days... but also, the main event from last nights show was Johnny Gargano vs. The Velveteen Dream and it's really good.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The tag titles main event from January 3rd (day after the Triple Crown match was definitely worth watching too from AJPW, the Violence Giants are asserting themselves as one of the world's best teams. Your comments on the Triple Crown were totally true. Zeus & Joe both are great big men and I was so happy Zeus got a big match after what was essentially a train wreck of a 2017 in terms of awful booking. COME ON MOTHERFUCKER, SHOW ME POWER

Just to add to the Lucha matches, Euforia vs Caristico from the 19/01 Friday Show was pretty good.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Just finished the final Fantastica Mania show and the last three matches were highly enjoyable; the LIJ six-man, Kojima/Rush (which I can see some rating much higher than I do even though I did like it) and the final of the brothers tag tournament. All very good.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I’ll second Gargano/Dream and I think this is the first of many recommended from those two guys this year.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia not only had no bad matches on it, they were all really good or better. The tag team opener was my personal match of the night and match of the month (and therefore year) so far but it didn't kill the other matches that followed it for me either. Really great show. Highly recommended if anyone's not watching the TV's or just on the fence about checking it out. I will say though, they do heavily rely on story telling in the matches and I feel like a lot of that could be lost on someone who's not following the product week to week; I could be wrong though.

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Roppongi 3K vs. The Young Bucks from night two of New Beginnings in Sapporo. Excellent match.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I'm going to be trying to keep a top 10 for every month out of the year just to give some prioritizing, at least in terms of my personal favorite matches and to keep my end of the year top 10 as accurate as possible as well as 10 to keep in mind that I thought were close and you might rate in your favorites.

1. Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas - NXT Takeover - 1/27 (Birthday Match!)
    2. Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Kenou - NOAH Navigation for the Future - 1/6
    3. Hirooki Goto vs. Minoru Suzuki - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom - 1/4
    4. Yusaku Obata vs. Masato Tanaka - Zero1 Happy New Year - 1/1
    5. Minoru Suzuki vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW The New Beginning - 1/26
    6. Tetsuya Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom - 1/4
    7. Chris Jericho vs. Kenny Omega - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom - 1/4
    8. Gran Guerrero vs. Niebla Roja - NJPW/CMLL FantasticaMania - 1/19
    9. Titán vs. Mephisto - CMLL Tuesday - 1/23
    10. Keisuke Ishii vs. Konosuke Takeshita - DDT D-Ou Night 7 - 1/14

-
    Hideki Suzuki/Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Kohei Sato/Shuji Ishikawa
    Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali
    Young Bucks vs. RPG3k
    Kazusada Higuchi vs. Shuji Ishikawa
    Cody Rhodes vs. Kota Ibushi
    Burning Wild vs. The Violence Giants
    Zeus vs. Joe Doering
    Jason Jordan vs. Cesaro
    Rachael Ellering vs. Mayu Iwatani
    TJP vs. Tyler Bate
    Last edited by Zero; 02-01-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Thread Information