Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Matches: 2018

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

Xia Brookside and Kay Lee Ray vs. Mary Apache and Nicole Savoy – Stardom, January 5th 2018

I’m starting to make my way, albeit slowly, through Stardom’s first tour of the year, and came across this surprisingly strong tag team match. I’m a fan of Stardom, warts and all, and this match was really entertaining. Brookside is really good for someone so young and inexperienced, but wrestling is in her blood, so that’s not a huge surprise. KLR has improved since the last time I watched her. Mary Apache is a member of the famed Apache family, so you know she can hold things together. And Nicole Savoy is no slouch, either.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Recommended Matches: 2018

Interesting to hear of Xia's progression, I have seen the odd match of hers from last year and she seemed to be green but with potential. Considering who her dad is I've no doubt we'll see her in bigger places one day.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Would recommend Io Shirai vs Momo Wanatabe. This match is must watch, even for non-joshi fans. It's a fantastic match, one of the best matches of the year for sure.

Since, it's no longer February, Top Ten Matches of February list:

1. Kazuchika Okada vs Sanada (New Beginning in Osaka 10/02)
    2. Masaaki Mochizuki (c) vs. Kzy 07/02 Dragon Gate Kotoka Road To Final - Day 5)
    3. Io Shirai vs Momo Watanabe (18/02 Stardom Queen's Fest)
    4. Jay Lethal vs. Jonathan Gresham (ROH Honor Reigns Supreme 2018)
    5. Tyler Bate vs Zack Sabre Jr (11/02 PROGRESS Chapter 63: Take Me Underground)
    6. CHAOS (Gedo, Hirooki Goto, Kazuchika Okada, Will Ospreay & YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, EVIL, Hiromu Takahashi, SANADA & Tetsuya Naito) (NJPW Road To The New Beginning 2018 Day 6)
    7. Violent Giants (Shuji Ishikawa & Suwama) vs Kento Miyahara & Yoshitatsu (03/02 YOKOHAMA TWILIGHT BLUES SPECIAL 2018)
    8. EVIL & SANADA (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto (06/02 NJPW Road To The New Beginning 2018 Day 7)
    9. Mark Davis vs Walter (11/02 PROGRESS Chapter 63: Take Me Underground)
    10. Will Ospreay vs Hiromu Takahashi (New Beginning in Osaka 10/02)

Top Five Matches of 2018 so far:

1) Timothy Thatcher vs Walter - Progress Chapter 62 - 28/01/18 - Progress Atlas Title Match
    2) Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito - Wrestle Kingdom 12 - 04/01/18 - IWGP Heavyweight Title
    3) Hirooki Goto vs Minoru Suzuki - Wrestle Kingdom 12 - 04/01/18 - Hair vs Hair/IWGP Intercontinental Title -
    4) Zack Sabre Jr vs Walter - Evolve 99 - 14/01/2018 - Non Title
    5) Sanada vs Okada - New Beginning in Osaka - 10/02/18 - IWGP Heavyweight Title
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

@Raiz: I can't believe that was you! First of all thanks so much for listening to the show! I love when people give it a shot & hope you liked it. As for Burning vs VG I have to admit I was super into the Giants at the time & my hype level for it was strong, in addition like you mentioned I have been a huge fan of Akiyama & Omori for years & that might have given me an investment bump. In hindsight I rate Zeus/Joe higher. That said I still think 4/10 is way too low. It was ultimately two big dudes & two old guys, one of which got injured during the match so I guess I can realize why not everyone would dig it. But to me a 4/10 would be like a The Club match on a kickoff show. (or just any Club match in general) They at least accomplished what they wanted to.

There were a couple of Stardom matches I've been into this month. I would recommend Io vs. Nicole Savoy from 2/4, the Queen's Quest vs. Queen's Quest tag on 2/10, & Io vs Momo is by far the standout like MC said. Also an Ice Ribbon match I liked from 2/12 was the GEKOKU Daughters vs Azure Revolution, had an all action-y type of match if you're into that.

My big rec would be for Lucha though, the Final of the Parejas Increibles with Rush/Terrible vs Ultimo Guerrero/Volador Jr. - Amazing storyline match with a surprising 3rd Fall. I think to really get a connection to how things happened, I would also recommend watching Rush vs Terrible's hair vs hair match from a few years ago to understand how heated their grudge was and Rush's breakout feud/match since he was dying as a good guy técnico.

Also a good 10 minute sprint from the same show, Soberano Jr. vs. Niebla Roja, all action, suspect finish but I feel like if it happened on 205 Live people would call it pretty great.

I've been very sick & dealing with an injury to my eye lately with some burst blood vessels so I've had a
    harder time being active in this and other threads than I'd have liked but I'm gonna change that soon, & you guys are holding it down pretty well. But I'll have my list for February up later today too.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

What was I supposed to do? It's only natural that I'd fall in love...

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

YES! YES! YES!

Status

I'm gonna give my Feb list, and every month from here on in now as just a top 10 in now order. Otherwise it'll spoil my year end top 100 order.

Feb Top 10:

Bad Bones Vs Mike Bailey - wXw
    Jay Lethal vs. Jonathan Gresham - ROH
    Tyler Bate vs Zack Sabre Jr - Progress
    The Golden Lovers and Chase Owens Vs Cody, Marty and Hangman Page - NJPW/ROH
    Mark Davis vs Walter - Progress
    Will Ospreay vs Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW
    THE RAW TWO HOUR GAUNTLET MATCH - WWE
    John Cena Vs AJ Styles - WWE
    Drew Gulak Vs Tony Nese - 205 Live
    Johnny Gargano Vs Andrade Almas - NXT

Wrestling is great.

---

And shout out to
    Walter Vs Timothy Thatcher from Progress that happened in Jan but I didn't get around to seeing it until the start of Feb.

You should link those lucha matches Zero

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I can't believe I have as many WWE matches in my list than you, Ed. I think you're sleeping on some WWE stuff but it should be fun to talk about more.

The Soberano Jr/Niebla Roja Lightning Match & the Parejas Increibles Final are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnczGJl5WU8 (44:34 for Soberano/Roja - 1:38:45 for the tag final)

A link to just the Parejas Increibles Final if you want to skip the Lightning Match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSKX7WY9mK8

& the Terrible/Rush match, main event of 2012's Anniversary Show & a feud that never ended even last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf3ABu95-Tg

Oh and a Twitch link to a show featuring Dragon Lee and Titán which also ruled and is high on my list: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/232575374?t=02h50m00s
    Last edited by Zero; 03-01-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I can't believe I have as many WWE matches in my list than you, Ed. I think you're sleeping on some WWE stuff but it should be fun to talk about more.
    Oh it's not that I don't think there hasn't been more highly rated stuff from WWE, the top 15 of my WDKW atm is chocked full of WWE wrestlers. We probably just have different favourite matches from them in February.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Holy hell, the Thunderbastard match from Progress Chapter 64. Really fucking good. Really amazing stories. Loved the Brooks/Cooper progression, loved Eddie Dennis clearing house and waiting for Mark, loved Eddie’s elimination, thought Trent and Pete’s eliminations were creative, loved the final four, and I’m liking what they’re trying with Webster. Great long elimination match. Everyone played a part, great sequences, and good drama at the end. Will probably be one of my favorites by the end of the year.

Progress back into form y’all.

Don’t have a list of anything right now but there sure has been a lot of great wrestling in 2018.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

@Raiz: I can't believe that was you! First of all thanks so much for listening to the show! I love when people give it a shot & hope you liked it. As for Burning vs VG I have to admit I was super into the Giants at the time & my hype level for it was strong, in addition like you mentioned I have been a huge fan of Akiyama & Omori for years & that might have given me an investment bump. In hindsight I rate Zeus/Joe higher. That said I still think 4/10 is way too low. It was ultimately two big dudes & two old guys, one of which got injured during the match so I guess I can realize why not everyone would dig it. But to me a 4/10 would be like a The Club match on a kickoff show. (or just any Club match in general) They at least accomplished what they wanted to.

There were a couple of Stardom matches I've been into this month. I would recommend Io vs. Nicole Savoy from 2/4, the Queen's Quest vs. Queen's Quest tag on 2/10, & Io vs Momo is by far the standout like MC said. Also an Ice Ribbon match I liked from 2/12 was the GEKOKU Daughters vs Azure Revolution, had an all action-y type of match if you're into that.

My big rec would be for Lucha though, the Final of the Parejas Increibles with Rush/Terrible vs Ultimo Guerrero/Volador Jr. - Amazing storyline match with a surprising 3rd Fall. I think to really get a connection to how things happened, I would also recommend watching Rush vs Terrible's hair vs hair match from a few years ago to understand how heated their grudge was and Rush's breakout feud/match since he was dying as a good guy técnico.

Also a good 10 minute sprint from the same show, Soberano Jr. vs. Niebla Roja, all action, suspect finish but I feel like if it happened on 205 Live people would call it pretty great.

I've been very sick & dealing with an injury to my eye lately with some burst blood vessels so I've had a
    harder time being active in this and other threads than I'd have liked but I'm gonna change that soon, & you guys are holding it down pretty well. But I'll have my list for February up later today too.
    Watched Rush/Terrible vs Ultimo Guerrero/Volador Jr and thought it was a really good match. I probably aren't as much of a fan as you were of the match but I really enjoyed it. My Lucha watch in February went off the rails after a great start back in January, so some of the storytelling may be lost on me. I'll try and resume that in March.

And oh, Maya Yukihi & Risa Sera vs. Kyuri & Maika Ozaki was very good. Love Maya Yukihi
    Last edited by MC 16; 03-01-2018 at 06:30 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
    Okay you actually had 1 more than me still, Ed.

1. Momo Watanabe vs. Io Shirai - Stardom Queen's Fest - 2/18
    2. Rush & Terrible vs Ultimo Guerrero & Volador Jr. - CMLL Super Viernes - 2/23
    3. Jay Lethal vs. Jonathan Gresham - ROH Honor Reigns Supreme - 2/9
    4. Tyler Bate vs. Zack Sabre Jr. - PROGRESS 63 - 2/11
    5. Roderick Strong vs. Hideo Itami - 205 Live - 2/6
    6. YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW The New Beginning - 2/10
    7. Roderick Strong vs. Pete Dunne - NXT - 2/14
    8. KAI vs. Joe Doering - AJPW Twilight Blues - 2/3
    9. Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade Almas - NXT - 2/21
    10. Dragon Lee vs. Titán - PWR - 2/24

-
    Io Shirai vs Nicole Savoy
    Australian Suicide vs Hijo del Vikingo
    Keith Lee vs AR Fox
    Jun Akiyama & Yuji Nagata vs Naoya Nomura & Ryoji Sai
    Soberano Jr vs Niebla Roja
    -

Yearly Match Top 10 (...it's mostly just January again):

1. Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas - NXT Takeover - 1/27
    2. WALTER vs. Timothy Thatcher - PROGRESS 62 - 1/28
    3. Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Kenou - NOAH Navigation for the Future - 1/6
    4. Hirooki Goto vs. Minoru Suzuki - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom - 1/4
    5. Yusaku Obata vs. Masato Tanaka - Zero1 Happy New Year - 1/1
    6. Minoru Suzuki vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW The New Beginning - 1/26
    7. Tetsuya Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom - 1/4
    8. WALTER vs Zack Sabre Jr. - EVOLVE 99 - 1/14
    9. Momo Watanabe vs. Io Shirai - Stardom Queen's Fest - 2/18
    10. Chris Jericho vs. Kenny Omega - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom - 1/4
    Last edited by Zero; 03-02-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Recommend Taiji Ishimori vs Matt Sydal & Johnny Impact vs Austin Aries from Impact Wrestling Crossroads. In particular Ishimori/Sydal was as good as anything from NJPW so far this month IMO. ***3/4 range.

It's been a really slow month so far. Next week should be a bit better with much better 205 matches & more shows should be dropping.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Recommend Taiji Ishimori vs Matt Sydal & Johnny Impact vs Austin Aries from Impact Wrestling Crossroads. In particular Ishimori/Sydal was as good as anything from NJPW so far this month IMO. ***3/4 range.

It's been a really slow month so far. Next week should be a bit better with much better 205 matches & more shows should be dropping.
    Lets all enjoy the calm before mania week kills us all.

And I'll +1 the Ishimori/Sydal match. Nothing too great, but the TV match of the week.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

My boy Ishimori having good matches in Impact? I have to give that a watch after MOTD. His matches have been a bit disappointing in Impact this year, though I only watched two of them.

I agree with the slow start to the month, other then the DG shows, nothing big has been stand out thus far. Would give a recommendation to the Open The Dream Gate Title Match between Masaaki Mochizuki and Ben-K from the Champions Gate Day Two 04/03 event. Also, the CIMA and Kotoka vs El Lindaman and Shingo Takagi match from the Champions Gate Day One 03/03 event is one I would also recommend. I have a felling that Mochizuki will be very high up for wrestler of 2018 by the end of the year.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

I've been listening since just before the G1 last year and since the new year I've been trying to listen to every show. I'm generally a couple behind but I'm usually behind on my watching of Japanese shows that aren't New Japan related anyway (and I'm currently behind on them too) so it works out well. You guys are part of the reason I started watching All Japan at all.

My February list is embarrassingly PROGRESS filled so I'm not gonna bore y'all with it, suffice to say, 2018 is a really good wrestling year already.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I would totally recommend Daisuke Sekimoto & Kazusada Higuchi vs. HARASHIMA & Naomichi Marufuji from DDT Judgement. This match was the legit amazing. Loved it.

Top Ten match of March
    1. Sanada vs Zack Sabre Jr - NJPW New Japan Cup Day Eight - 18/03
    2. Daisuke Sekimoto vs Hideki Suzuki - BJW Big Japan Full Metal - 11/03/18
    3. Kota Ibushi vs Zack Sabre Jr - NJPW New Japan Cup Day Six - 15/03
    4. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya vs. Atsushi Kotoge & Naomichi Marufuji (NOAH Global Tag League Day 1 18/03)
    5. HARASHIMA & Naomichi Marufuji (c) vs. Daisuke Sekimoto & Kazusada Higuchi - DDT Judgement 2018 ~ DDT 21st Anniversary Show - 25/03
    6. Kota Ibushi vs YOSHI-HASHI - NJPW New Japan Cup Day Three - 11/03
    7. Daisuke Harada vs HAYATA - NOAH Great Voyage in Yokohama - 11/03
    8. Walter vs Bad Bones vs Ilja Dragunov - WXW 16 Carat Gold 2018 Day Two - 10/03
    9. Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi vs The Young Bucks - New Japan Strong Style Evolved - 25/03
    10. Matt Riddle vs. Walter - Ambition 9 - 10/03

In addition to these, would recommend Kotoka, Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, CIMA & Dragon Kid vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, YAMATO, Yosuke Santa Maria, Doj Fuji & Kagetora, from the 06/03 DG Show.

Top 10 Matches of the Year so far:

1. Timothy Thatcher vs Walter - Progress Chapter 62 - 28/01/18 - Progress Atlas Title Match
    2. Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito - Wrestle Kingdom 12 - 04/01/18 - IWGP Heavyweight Title
    3. Hirooki Goto vs Minoru Suzuki - Wrestle Kingdom 12 - 04/01/18 - Hair vs Hair/IWGP Intercontinetal Title
    4. Zack Sabre Jr vs Walter - Evolve 99 - 14/01/2018 - Non Title
    5. Sanada vs Kazuchika Okada - New Beginning in Osaka - 10/02/18 - IWGP Heavyweight Title
    6. Minoru Suzuki vs Hiroshi Takahashi - New Beginning in Sapporo Night One - 27/01/18 - IWGP Intercontinetal Championship Match
    7. Odeo Tai vs Queens Quest - Stardom 7th Anniversary - 21/01/18 - 5 on 5 Ellimination
    8. Sanada vs Zack Sabre Jr - New Japan Cup Day Three - 18/03/18
    9. Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Kzy - Dragon Gate Kotoka Road To Final - Day 5 - 07/02/18 - Open The Dream Gate Title Match
    10. Daisuke Sekimoto vs Hideki Suzuki - BJW Big Japan Full Metal - 11/03/18

Let's just say, 2018 has been freakin awesome so far.
    Last edited by MC 16; 03-31-2018 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Updated
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Jumping the gun aren't you with Orton/Roode Vs Jinder/Singh to come tonight?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

You're right, sorry. Don't tell Dook.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Sweet Meat

Status

im more pissed at the lack of 205

what a slut

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    im more pissed at the lack of 205

what a slut
    They are the top of my WWE list, if that helps
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    They are the top of my WWE list, if that helps
    makes me even more mad

edit:

Buddy Murphy vs. Kalisto vs. Akira Tozawa vs. TJP - 205 Live 3/27/18

Posted why in the thread but I loved this match. Here's what I said:

I know I'll rate this higher than most but I absolutely loved this match. For so many reasons. Obviously the action was great. Lots of unique spots, which I always appreciate. A lot of people tend to be critical of multi mans because they're often a series of one v one matches but this had a ton of multi man action. Almost all of it looked great too. Also, the winner probably should have been obvious but I wasn't expecting him to win so that was a big plus too. Ultimately, though, the things I loved most about this was twofold: the stories and the sense of urgency. This match had a sense of urgency, especially from Kalisto and Tozawa. They just showed a ton of fire, constantly breaking up pins or trying to get the win, etc. They made the match feel important. Then the stories of the match and character work was done super well too. Again, Kalisto and Tozawa is most notable but it worked for everyone. Kalisto and Tozawa may be the peace keepers compared to their hot headed friends but the rivalry between the groups is real so as soon as the bell rings they went at it, and it was the theme for most of the match. Both guys wanted to out class the other. TJP was a very good douchebag heel and as the only official bad guy of the match, he was in the center of most of it. His shitty behavior was good and he was a fun spoiler for everyone. Then you have Murphy who has the most to prove out of everyone there. Both because of the way his career turned in NXT but also because of the tournament. Commentary did a solid job telling their stories too. I really recommend people check this one out.
    Last edited by Hollywood Dook; 03-28-2018 at 03:52 AM.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Thread Information