Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2017

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2017

He put Okada Vs Omega where?

2017 was another big year in professional wrestling. WWE announced record revenue figures despite having one of the more frustrating years to support their on screen product, NXT had an awesome year, more eyes were on the British wrestling scene than they had been in decades, The Elite became the hottest thing in independent wrestling, Floslam died, New Japan continued to grow both domestically and overseas, NOAH Was reborn, Wargames was resurrected, TNA was rebranded...again, Undertaker apparently retired, Shibata nearly died, Steenerico reunited and yes Jinder Mahal really was WWE Champion at one point. At the heart of it all though was some incredible wrestling matches and I have again compiled a top 100 list of what I considered to be the best matches of the year. My wrestling tastes did change in 2017 and I'm not sure there's as much variety as there was in the 2016 list.

Just like last year I'm going to post these in 10 match blocks, starting with the honourable mentions. The matches eligible to make the list were matches that aired between January 1st-December 31st 2017. However this year there are no matches from Lucha Underground so that's not really a huge issue, sorry believers.

Up first is the hoots/honourable mentions. 10 matches that for one reason or another I can't class as one of the top 100 matches of the year, but they're entertaining in their own way and deserve some sort of recognition.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2017

Subscribed. Looking forward to this.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Say My Name

Status

Also subscribed. This is going to be great. Let's see how many of them I can watch this year
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Down for this!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Relentless Admin

Status

The Honorary Mentions
    (in no particular order)

April 2nd
    Goldberg Vs Brock Lesnar - WWE Wrestlemania

These two made my honourable mentions in my 2016 list for the Survivor Series upset, so these two are a confirmed hoot at this point. A match that I was not looking forward to at all going into Wrestlemania actually turned into one of the better matches on the show and the one shining light of an otherwise abysmal 2nd half of that event. Knowing full well that Goldberg (and arguably Brock) didn't have the cardio to go the standard length of a WWE title match at Wrestlemania, they decided to keep this one just under 5 minutes and work one hell of a sprint full of finishers. Brock jumping over the spear is an incredible spot. I can't imagine anyone expected this match to be as fun as it turned out; all is forgiven for Wrestlemania XX.

April 9th
    Hiromu Takahashi Vs Kushida - NJPW Sakura Genesis

Here we are with another sprint, it was the year for them! I have never been more stunned by a match in New Japan in the six years I've been watching them. For a semi-main event to be under two minutes long is unheard of and it really solidified Hiromu as the dominant new face of the Junior's division. Fueled by a desire to regain the title he lost at Wrestle Kingdom, Kushida came out like a house on fire and dived onto Hiromu during his entrance, and ultimately it was a big error on his part. Hiromu works such an explosive, careless style that he can kill you in a couple of his big moves and Kushida was really playing with fire to try to match him at that high octane game. The result gave Kushida a redemption storyline going into the BOSJ and helped make Hiromu an even bigger star (more on that failing later)

May 27th
    Trent Seven Vs Matt Riddle - Progress SSS16 Day 1

And to round out this trio of sprint matches is the shortest one and the best one move match I've ever seen. Trent Seven might not have the ability of Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate to have MOTYC level matches, but what he does have is superior mic work compared to his British Strong Style brothers. Trent is what makes this bold main event booking decision pay off because he spends about 5 minutes in total brag mode about how successful he's become as a WWE roster member and how much money he makes now. Then he specifically winds up Riddle by claiming he's a friend of Brock Lesnar's and they discussed Riddle's cute 'Retire Brock Lesnar' t-shirt and how that would never happen because Riddle couldn't cut it in NXT. It's just the perfect set up to Matt Riddle knocking him out in six seconds with a knee. The crowd went mental for the humiliating defeat and would go on to chant SIX SIX SIX for the next few months during Seven's entrances.

November 18th
    WAR GAMES - NXT Takeover Wargames

As Monty Python would say, and now for something completely different. This couldn't be further from a sprint and is the longest match in this first entry by a comfortable distance. This was Triple H bringing back the WCW match stipulation War Games to host a battle between three battling stables down in his super indy territory. The match caused some controversy before the show when it released the rules and traditionalists were not happy at all the changes, but I never grew up with War Games so there wasn't that attachment to the good ol' days so I could enjoy the match for what it was. The reason it doesn't make the actual countdown is because the start of the match is dry up until The Authors of Pain enter the match and the finish is a little anticlimactic after twenty minutes of chaos, so I do have criticisms of it that drag it down and there were some tough cuts to be made in the top 100. I place all the blame on the dull parts of the match at the feet of Adam Cole who isn't even half the wrestler Seth Rollins is. That being said, once Authors of Pain do enter the match, I thought the action was terrific, brutal and entertaining; everything I wanted from the match. There were some really stand out performers in the match from the AOP boys to Roddy Strong to brave Wolfe who tried to battle on despite a nasty cut to the head after a table bump, but the MVP was Killian Dain who has never looked better in NXT.

April 30th
    House of Horrors - WWE Payback

No I'm not trolling.

I should clarify that I'm only referring the filmed part of this match at the house of horrors, and not the part where they were in the arena and the match ended with Jinder Mahal interference. If you're going to do a match like this, then you've gotta go #ALLIN and fully embrace the how crazy and dumb the Bray Wyatt character is in 2018, and that's exactly what they did. The first half of this match is as close to the Final Deletion as we're going to get in WWE. We had the house in blue lights, reversing ghost lawn mowers, the room with the baby dolls on the ceiling with pumped in baby noise sound effects, dramatic Randy Orton acting, a fight in the kitchen that led Orton to be trapped under a fridge only to later get to the arena in the same time Bray Wyatt, who stole Randy's limo, arrived. It was so beautifully corny and thoroughly entertaining. I watched the match live with a friend and was howling every second.

April 14th
    Braun Strowman Vs Big Show - WWE Monday Night Raw

This is the one with the exploding ring no finish if the picture didn't make that obvious enough. This episode of Raw was all centered around Braun, it came the week after he destroyed Reigns and flipped the ambulance and throughout the night he was killing jobbers and talent agents. Big Show tried to put a stop to it and made Braun pick on someone his own size in the main event. The match was remarkably good, in fact all of their TV matches together in 2017 were better than you'd expect them to be and I will always point to them as proof that Braun isn't simply a big man who has to be carried to good matches, he's a really talented big man wrestler and when you pair that with strong, protective booking like WWE had at times with him in 2017, it makes for a really entertaining package.

May 21st
    The Usos Vs Breezeango - WWE Backlash

For context purposes, this was a few weeks after Breezeango had started doing the fashion files segments to build to upcoming matches. Remember that? when those segments had a purpose of actually building to something long before they outstayed their welcome? Anyway, their quest to get the tag team titles off the 'uggos' resulted in a match at Backlash that I would call WWE's best comedy match of the year. In particular Tyler Breeze with his quick change disguises as a Janitor and then a grandma shone in the match and really engaged the crowd on a night where...well SD Live shit the bed. The match evolved from the comedy towards the end for the standard, exciting closing stretch you'd expect from an Usos match. In May, Smackdown had something with Breezeango, but after this night they took all the focus off the in-ring action and ran the backstage segments into the ground

March 19th
    El Ligero Vs Zack Gibson - Progress Chapter 45

This comes from one of my favourite Progress shows of the year, Galvanize, and that show will represented again in the actual top 100 countdown. However, earlier in the show was one of my favourite comedy matches of the year and it's right in the middle of the Origin Vs Banter Origin feud. March 19th 2017 was St. Patricks Day, El Ligero had started on the Guiness waaay too soon and showed up for his match drunk and with a St. Paddy's emoji mask on. What follows is a hilarious match where Zack Gibson, LIVERPOOOOOOLLLS NUMBA' ONE, plays a brilliant straight man getting more and more irritated that he has to wrestle a drunk luchador and can't get any momentum going. Given the nature of some of the matches on this show, this was a perfect cool down match to give the fans some light hearted fun.

July 9th
    Samoa Joe Vs Brock Lesnar - WWE Great Balls Of Fire

There was no way the pay-per-view title Great Balls of Fire was not going to appear on my best of 2017 list. This was a match that I was absolutely loving in the moment and then the finish happened and I felt more shortchanged than I have done from any match in 2017. The build to the match is fantastic, probably the most engaged I have been in any rivalry from WWE this year. They made the match feel must see and it was achieved by just presenting both guys as bad asses and trying to one up each other with sneak attacks to really build up the bad blood and ask the question of who the better fighter would be in a straight up match. Joe looked like he had Brock's number during the build and that played into the match which really Joe dominated. Joe choking Brock all shades of purple was fantastic, it looked like he literally wanted to suffocate Lesnar as long as it meant he would become champion and THE guy in the company. And then boom, Joe loses clean to a single F5 and all that hard work presenting Joe on the same level as Lesnar felt like a waste of time because the more important story from WWE's perspective is to make Brock look as unstoppable as possible and for the F5 to be a death move just so Roman can look stronger for surviving it at Wrestlemania. This easily could of been one of the best WWE matches of the year if it went another five minutes and Joe was allowed to survive some nearfalls. So frustrating.

August 11th
    Yuji Nagata Vs Bad Luck Fale - NJPW G1 Climax Night 17

Don't be alarmed, there's still more Yuji Nagata G1 goodness to come, it's just that this match was one of the more emotional ones of the year I felt more comfortable placing it here than in the actual countdown among his other matches. The match is sound enough, certainly not top tier for Nagata's tournament but I'd have it as Fale's best match. The real draw to the match is that it is Nagata's final ever G1 tournament match and he had been turning back the clock all month in his performances, but coming up empty in turns of points. In his final tournament match with only pride to fight for, Nagata was up against the biggest man in the tournament and his former protege, Bad Luck Fale. They have a very good match that sucks the crowd into rallying behind Nagata to survive all the bombs that Fale is throwing his way and pick up the victory - the crowd are more into this than the block decider between Naito and Tanahashi later in the evening. Ultimately the man on his way out has to do the honours for the next generation and is out for the sad 3 count after a Bad Luck Fall.

The post match is sublime with Nagata slowly coming too, with tears in his eyes knowing this is the end for him. He gets back to his feet and Bad Luck Fale is there waiting for him, offering him the too sweet hand gesture as a sign of respect. Nagata thinks about it and gives him the Blue Justice salute instead and in a moment that completely breaks kayfabe, Fale gives Nagata a bow and the crowd are taken aback by such a classy move by the heel monster. Fale leaves so Nagata can have his moment with the fans. Nagata's music starts up, the entire crowd hold up blue signs and chant his name, his #1 fan Nogami cries on commentary and Nagata bows to all four corners before making his exit for good from the G1 Climax. I'm man enough to say it brought a tear to the eye.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I think Lesnar vs Goldberg is legitimately one of the best short matches ever. It's one of my favourite matches from 2017 and I've watched it loads of times already.

I didn't care for the War Games match at all. Part of like you said could be the rule change bothering me, as a traditionalist. But I also found it really boring in places too.

House of Horrors is all time great Wrestlecrap. I don't think I'd have it on a list like this for me, even as an honourable mention, but it might be one of the funniest matches ever and is a blast to watch. I suppose that makes it a success?

Totally agreed with everything you said about Brock vs Joe. Frustrating in that it was like the first fifteen minutes of a great twenty minute match, but then it just ends. Still awesome though and I'm glad we got it.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Goldberg vs Lesnar was a much needed break from the rest of the matches on Wrestlemania. Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg followed two of the worst matches on the show (Seth/HHH and Orton/Wyatt) and it did so well to wake the dead crowd and whip them into a frenzy. It was great for the length the match went and I wouldn't mind seeing more sprint matches on long wrestling shows. It adds much needed variety.

Speaking of sprint matches. Himrou Takahashi vs Kushida was really well done. The storytelling in the match was tremendously done. Great way to progress the story between these two.

Randy Orton vs Bray Wyatt. WRESTLECRAP.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Goldberg/Lesnar would be on my 100. My favorite match at Mania and just an awesome five minutes.

That Riddle/Seven knockout is so awesome. Totally made by Trent’s stellar promo.

War Games would probably be at the tail end of my list. I feel like I enjoyed it more than others.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong
    Goldberg/Lesnar was awesome, would probably fit it right around where you have. Fring top 100 match as a match, but probably in my top 10-20 in terms of entertainment. Also in my opinion a top 5 WWE/NXT match this year, hot take.

Nailed it on Hiromu/KUSHIDA. Amazingly sad where Hiromu is at now and when he wins the title compared to here. Could have been one of NJPW's biggest stars.

Trent's promos come right out of a 2005 E-Fed and he has the name to match. Riddle owning him was great.

War Games has a lot of flaws, but some great moments too. Cole is about the same level as Rollins and he was awful in that match. Amazing that NXT gets so much better when it's focused on other people besides Undisputed. War Games wouldn't be in contention. Maybe if I did a top 500.

House of Horrors was not as awful as the WM match. That's as nice as I'll be.

Show/Braun was good but still built more around the big moment than being a standout match to me. Fitting with how this list has gone.

Usos/Breezango was fun fwiw.

The El Generico mask spot was hilarious. The wheelchair spot was awesome. Lots of fun.

Agreed about Joe/Brock. The character work was so awesome from Joe. The match was so disappointing.

*salutes* Nagata & Fale post-match was very emotional. The booking surrounding Nagata's G1 might be my #1 most hated booking of the year. Should have been so much more.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I think Lesnar vs Goldberg is legitimately one of the best short matches ever. It's one of my favourite matches from 2017 and I've watched it loads of times already.
    Given it's a world title match at Wrestlemania between two high profile names, it's probably going to end up as a go-to answer as what's one of the best short matches of all time.

I didn't care for the War Games match at all. Part of like you said could be the rule change bothering me, as a traditionalist. But I also found it really boring in places too.
    That's why it was cut from the original Top 100 list. It definitely had it's low moments in the match and dragged at times, but I really enjoyed the highs and performances.

House of Horrors is all time great Wrestlecrap. I don't think I'd have it on a list like this for me, even as an honourable mention, but it might be one of the funniest matches ever and is a blast to watch. I suppose that makes it a success?
    I had Final Deletion on this honourable mentions last year, and I felt like this was 2017's version of that. It's worth nothing these aren't what I consider the #110-#101 of the greatest matches of the year, these 10 are for matches I feel are worthy of special mentions.

Totally agreed with everything you said about Brock vs Joe. Frustrating in that it was like the first fifteen minutes of a great twenty minute match, but then it just ends. Still awesome though and I'm glad we got it.
    6 minutes was too short for probably this one time only match.

I remember watching this PPV on the Monday after working via the network and during Lesnar's entrance I nudged my PS4 controller and it showed up the time had only 10 minutes to go. Kinda gave away I was in for a short Lesnar match again before it even happened to kill the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Goldberg vs Lesnar was a much needed break from the rest of the matches on Wrestlemania. Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg followed two of the worst matches on the show (Seth/HHH and Orton/Wyatt) and it did so well to wake the dead crowd and whip them into a frenzy. It was great for the length the match went and I wouldn't mind seeing more sprint matches on long wrestling shows. It adds much needed variety.
    It was definitely sandwiched between some shit matches.

Speaking of sprint matches. Himrou Takahashi vs Kushida was really well done. The storytelling in the match was tremendously done. Great way to progress the story between these two.
    It was top drawer booking.

Randy Orton vs Bray Wyatt. WRESTLECRAP.
    The best kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Goldberg/Lesnar would be on my 100. My favorite match at Mania and just an awesome five minutes.
    My 2nd favourite match from Wrestlemania

That Riddle/Seven knockout is so awesome. Totally made by Trent’s stellar promo.
    It was all Trent. So great.

I also think having the balls to pull that off in the main event of a show when everyone's expecting your classic 20 minute match on the indies to close the show is what helped it too. It was stunning and people popped for the surprise.

War Games would probably be at the tail end of my list. I feel like I enjoyed it more than others.
    Yeah, I certainly couldn't of put it much higher than the tail end. Really glad it returned though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Goldberg/Lesnar was awesome, would probably fit it right around where you have. Fring top 100 match as a match, but probably in my top 10-20 in terms of entertainment. Also in my opinion a top 5 WWE/NXT match this year, hot take.
    That certainly is a hot take if you include NXT. We're gonna disagree quite a bit I feel coming up

Nailed it on Hiromu/KUSHIDA. Amazingly sad where Hiromu is at now and when he wins the title compared to here. Could have been one of NJPW's biggest stars.
    I'll touch on the problems with Hiromu later when we get to another match, but this was like the peak for the guy because as you'll remember (because you were the first to speak out about it iirc), they gave up on protecting him at BOSJ and he didn't feel like the top guy he did only a month earlier.

Trent's promos come right out of a 2005 E-Fed and he has the name to match. Riddle owning him was great.
    Trent's promo was perfect

War Games has a lot of flaws, but some great moments too. Cole is about the same level as Rollins and he was awful in that match. Amazing that NXT gets so much better when it's focused on other people besides Undisputed. War Games wouldn't be in contention. Maybe if I did a top 500.
    Harsh on Rollins imo.

I can not wait for your upcoming review of Cole Vs Black, that could be a bad one on Saturday!

House of Horrors was not as awful as the WM match. That's as nice as I'll be.
    House of Horrors just went into so bad is good territory for me. WM match was both bad and dull outside of canvas magic.

Show/Braun was good but still built more around the big moment than being a standout match to me. Fitting with how this list has gone.
    I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this, because I'm someone that hated the original Brock/Show ring explode spot.

Usos/Breezango was fun fwiw.
    Super fun.

The El Generico mask spot was hilarious. The wheelchair spot was awesome. Lots of fun.
    Glad someone's seen the match, I wish I could find a good pic of the emoji head Ligero came out with, so funny.

Agreed about Joe/Brock. The character work was so awesome from Joe. The match was so disappointing.
    I felt robbed of a classic all time match.

*salutes* Nagata & Fale post-match was very emotional. The booking surrounding Nagata's G1 might be my #1 most hated booking of the year. Should have been so much more.
    There was room for it too because Naito was an absolute lock to win Block A that it lacked a little interest in results and storytelling even if it did rock in match quality.

---

Thanks for the feedback so far, I've already forgotten how long it takes me to do this and things got busy on Monday. Hoping to crack on with this in the next couple of days.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

I'll watch all the non-weab shit for sure

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2018 - 20/15/1 - 4th in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

Relentless Admin

Status

#100 - January 2nd
    Sami Zayn Vs Braun Strowman - Monday Night Raw

This is the highest rated TV match from WWE I have on my list and it happened in the first week of the year. This wasn't the final note on the Zayn Vs Strowman feud because they hook up again in the Royal Rumble during the best part of that match. This was a last man standing match where both men played their roles to a tee with Braun as the bullying monster heel and Sami as the classic babyface, maybe his last great performance as one. In their previous matches, it was all about survival for Sami, trying to last to 10 minutes to prove his toughness to Mick Foley, but in this match Sami had weapons at his disposal that could be the equaliser against the monster among men and give him a chance of victory. Ultimately Braun kept Sami down for the 10 count with a couple of powerslams.

#99 - June 18th
    Men's MITB - Money In The Bank

It's funny when I was looking over my spreadsheet I thought Shinsuke Nakamura was nowhere on my list and justifiably so, but then I've come to write up about this match and remembered he was the main focus of this match. The competitors here were Nakamura, Styles, Owens, Zayn, Corbin and Ziggler, so a mixed bag. I've really soured on ladder matches in recent years so they ironically hit a ceiling where they can be fine but not great to me. There needs to be something different to really grab my attention and consider it a class above the previous years MITB matches, and we got it here in the form of Nakamura's injury at the hand of Baron Corbin and the return of him to clean house while the crowd sing his entrance theme. The moment where Nakamura goes to climb the ladder only to lock eyes with AJ Styles is magical and the crowd react big to it. With Nakamura Vs Styles in the works for Wrestlemania, then they need to revisit that moment in video packages because this is when people started digging the idea of the two top babyfaces on the roster having a mania match. You've also got some Sami Vs KO goodness in there for a bonus too.

#98 - July 14th
    Kairi Sane Vs Bianca Belair - Mae Young Classic

This match was my working #100 ever since I saw it, I knew I loved it enough to get it on my top 100 but it would always be tough to get it higher than the tail end. Then ultimately as I started writing about it, I realised I liked it more than some others in this top 10 so shuffled the pack a little bit.

Lets call a spade a spade, the Mae Young Classic was pretty underwhelming and never reached the high points that the Crusierweight Classic and UK Tournament did. While I applaud the decision to host an all female tournament in WWE, it ended up becoming a chore to watch and if you're someone like me who isn't a big Shayna Baszler fan it was even easier to lose interest. That being said in the 2nd round there was a match that leaped off the page and was a cut above every other match in the tournament that saw performance center rookie Bianca Belair, with less than 10 TV appearances to her name, take on the internationally acclaimed Kairi Sane (formerly Hojo) who was a hot favourite to both win the trophy and be the MVP in terms of providing quality matches. This was a great 10 minute breakout match for Belair as she hung in there with a top wrestler, got her act over, and looked very much a star for the future before falling victim to the infamous will she won't she elbow drop of Sane. The key thing with Bianca's hair gimmick is that the whip attack has to make a decent noise to make it sound like it hurts, and in this match it was incredibly loud and the fans boo'd the hell out of her for resorting to such measures - so that was awesome. In very much the same way that Cederic Alexander won over the Full Sail audience in his defeat to Kota Ibushi a year earlier in the CWC, Bianca won over the Full Sail crowd with this polished performance in defeat to Kairi Sane.

#97 - August 23rd
    Will Ospreay Vs Rey Mysterio - WCPW World Cup

As I think has been documented before I do not like What Culture, their endless top 10 lists, and their money mark promotion that saw them try to claim their slice of the Britwres pie that they did nothing to help beforehand. One thing I did like about them however was their ambitious world cup of wrestling idea, sort of like the TNA World X Cup but turned up to 11. In the round of 16 was England Vs Mexico and ironically after Sunday's rumble appearance, it was a little bit battle of the generations here as well. I think there can be little argument that Rey Mysterio is the best high flyer of his generation and an all time great, and here he comes face to face for the first time ever with a young man really making a name for himself as one of the best flyers/junior heavyweights of the next generation. For anyone who watches Lucha Underground, this was like Mysterio Vs Prince Puma (Ricochet), but better. Before this match I had been pretty meh on Rey's indie matches, but this one he seemed to tap into the fountain of youth and turn back the clock at least 5 years; it wasn't peak Rey, but it wasn't sad past his prime Rey either. Will turns in a mature performance where he bases really well for Rey's offence and tones down some of his more annoying habits. Rey's experience earned him the advantage in the early moments of the match, but over time Will's youth and conditioning saw him take control to win. After the match Will gives this great, heartfelt promo about how Rey Mysterio was his idol and inspiration growing up and Rey returns the favour saying he's honoured to have inspired such a talent and gives him a mask as a gift to remember their match by.

#96 - July 17th
    Yuji Nagata Vs Yoshi-Hashi - NJPW G1 Climax Night 1

The first match of the G1 Climax is the first match from the tournament to show up in my top 100 and it was a taste of what was to come from Yuji Nagata's involvement in Block A. Great matches, tonnes of heart but all too predictable booking as he lost match after match. I suppose that makes sense, it's his final G1 so rather like the old school booking of putting over the younger talent on your way out of the territory, Nagata should be putting over younger guys like Yoshi-Hashi who aren't going to get many wins in the block. If Nagata could win half of his matches, that would suggest he can still get it done against the best wrestlers in the world and at that point what the fuck is he doing retiring from the competition. Yoshi-Hashi was his usual underrated self and more than match Nagata when it came down to the hot finishing stretch

#95 - July 22nd
    Juice Robinson Vs Evil - NJPW G1 Climax Night 4

We move on from Nagata to some more stories that made the G1 Climax so great, Juice Robinson's first tournament and his night to night selling and the emergence of Evil as a heavyweight on the rise. On day 4 of the G1, these two had a very good back and forth match that peaked at the right moments and saw Evil pick up the win with the STO around the 12 minute mark. The finish was perfect because even coming down the the ring, Juice was selling his neck so it works as a move that would put him away. This might surprise some people, but this is the only Juice Robinson match on my list, and the omissions are more to do with my problems with people like Okada and Omega than they are Juice. This just happens to be my favourite match of his year and it's incredible how much this guy has improved since he was CJ Parker, NXT jobber.

#94 - November 19th
    Ringkampf Vs Bobby Gunns and Jaxon Stone - wXw Broken Rules

This caps off a fun undercard program in wXw where the sleazy Bobby Gunns had been testing himself against the Ringkampf boys Walter and Timothy Thatcher in singles competition. Gunns got the better of Thatcher, but was no match for the mighty Walter and to exact his revenge he recruited Jaxon Stone and the two of them beat up Thatcher and Bobby put out his cigarette in Tim's eye. If you were wondering why Timothy Thatcher was wearing an eye patch in some other promotions during the Autumn, that's why, and tremendous commitment to kayfabe from him for doing so outside of wXw. Anyway, the bad blood all comes to a head at the November event, Broken Rules, where the two teams meet in an elimination hardcore tag match for Ringkampf's newly won titles. The match sees Ringkampf be taken out of their comfort zone (or in the case of Thatcher, a return to his roots) because this isn't a match about the beautiful art of technical wrestling or honourable sportsmanship, that all goes out the window. This is a nasty, plunder-filled brawl. It's another match of many this year where I'm blown away by the personality shown by Timothy Thatcher, he gets down and dirty with the weapon use, he rips off his eye patch in a hulking up moment, and in perhaps the sickest spot of the match he eats a curb stomp into thumb tacks and wrestles on for another 10 minutes with a tack right in the bridge of his nose. This match exhibits a rarely seen feature of elimination matches where the babyface team are left with a numbers advantage over the heel once Stone is pinned, and there's no quick pin to make it 1 on 1, they just take their time and hand a beating to a guy that's made their lives a pain in the ass for a couple of months. The whole angle really helped take Bobby Gunns to the next level and now as Shotgun Champion he's destined for a big year as one of the best heels in Europe.

#93 - April 1st
    Young Bucks Vs Broken Hardys - ROH Supercard of Honor

I'm almost ashamed of how much I enjoyed this match, a meeting of arguably the two most popular wrestling brothers of their generation. This was the final night of The Hardys short but eventful run in ROH after they decided to leave TNA and work for promotions where the Broken gimmick would actually draw money. Their cameo run in ROH was fantastic for a team like the Bucks who struggle to have fresh opponents and with the combined twitter game of the Bucks and Matt this became the biggest feud on the indies for a couple of months. I don't care what people have to say about Joey Janela's spring break, this was the hottest match of Wrestlemania weekend. They worked a nutty, 25 minute ladder match and Matt and Jeff really turned the clock back to keep up with the Bucks and come up with some inventive signature spots. This was easily better than any tag match they've ever had in TNA. you can tell they were motivated to put on a special match that would get people's attention.

#92 - March 5th
    Neville Vs Jack Gallagher - Fastlane

Neville's run as Cruiserweight champion was pretty good, but I think it was a case of people being more happy that WWE were finally getting behind the English high flyer than being wow'd by the quality of his matches. They were good, but rarely great. The one that stood out to me most was this match with Jack Gallagher from the Raw exclusive Fastlane which was an easy choice for MOTN. It started slow but really developed into an exciting back and forth match. I'm not sure Jack's headbutt to the chest has ever sounded more sick and impactful. In the end Neville has to break out the Red Arrow, which he stopped using in favour of the Rings of Saturn, to pick up the victory in a show of how tough an opponent Gallagher was. It's surprising that Jack still hasn't become Cruiserweight champion given how much he pushed Neville here and how he got to be apart of the Royal Rumble.

#91 - February 18th
    Ringkampf Vs Jurn Simmons and A4 - wXw Road to 16 Carat

I think this is the most obscure wXw match I have on my list. Before there was RISE, it was Ringkampf who ruled the promotion with the combined force of Walter, Axel Dieter Jr, Timothy Thatcher and heel owner Christian Jakobi, and had Axel not left for WWE in the first half of the year, I think that's the way it would of stayed that way for the rest of 2017. This is leading up to a match at their February PPV where there will be a tag team match to decide if Christian Jakobi can stay in power. The WWE authority figure storyline is meh, and I'll touch on it again later, but what surrounded the Jacobi Vs Karsten Beck feud was some really great Ringkampf/Simmons tag matches and this is a match that is 6 man action at it's finest. The ringkampf trio working over Absolute Andy's weak knee was a highlight.

----

Sorry for the delay, had a lot of offline stuff to deal with this week.

Status

Only seen Kairi/Bianca & Opsreay/Mysterio

The women's match is my favourite match of the entire tournament, and I can't wait for Bianca to have a more prominent role in NXT. Will/Rey was good stuff but I wasn't as high on it as others.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Braun vs Sami Zayn- I didn't like many Braun matches in 2017. They didn't click with me for some reason but Sami Zayn vs Braun, I loved that match. Braun worked extremely well with Sami Zayn, they wroked off each other perfectly. Sami Zayn playing the never say die babyface gimmick, Braun playing the brute. It was just perfect. I want to see this match again one day.

Kairi Sane vs Bianca Bel Air- I didn't watch most of the Mae Young Classic but this was in the top 5 of my favorite matches from the tournament. It was a great showcase for Kairi, playing the lovable babyface role.

The two G1 matches- I honestly can't remember either of these matches. The G1 was so good that matches like these two are forgot. Which is a shame. I'll have to rewatch them.

I loved Ringkampf vs Bobby Gunns and Jaxon Stone. It was so intense, so violent. I loved every second of the match.

Jack Gallgher vs Neville- This match was really good. It showed how good Nevile truly was and what Gallagher could do when give the time. Wish Nevile would come back to have this match again.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I probably would have put Neville/Gallagher slightly higher. That was the best Cruiserweight match in 2017.

Young Bucks vs. Broken Hardys is really fun.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Yeah, I honestly like all of these matches and could see myself ranking all of these in this area. The one that stood out right away was Nagata vs YOSHI-HASHI, I would have probably ranked it above EVIL/Juice but that was cool. I actually think I rated the Omega match surprisingly slightly higher than that but EVIL was definitely either one or 2.

Really loved the Bucks and Hardys as well. Could easily see it being higher up. What an epic weekend for the Hardys that was.

Actually thought the Bobby Gunns tag was the better of the two Ringkampf matches here. I'm actually pretty down on Gunns as a worker and as a match I wouldn't call it a great great match but in terms of pure entertainment value, like Goldberg/Lesnar it has to be in my top tier of pure entertainment value of matches for all the reasons you outlined. Timothy Thatcher is the true Big Boss of wrestling.

I guess the more I think about it the more I think that Sane/Bianca match was a tad overrated, this was the one that stood out as one I don't think I would have ranked, but it was a solid match don't get me wrong. I just didn't consider it standout, the MYC definitely could have been A LOT better than it was for various reasons. What a shame that they love Shayna so much.

Neville's character work was great, but in-ring just wasn't able to do anything standout. It was good like always.

Really liked Zayn/Braun. Match perfectly worked to cover Braun and his weaknesses but work into his strengths. Zayn was awesome. Good pick and a change of pace from last year where the WWE influence was strong. You mentioned earlier we would have differences in opinions, and the first thing I thought was how you had 3 Sasha/Charlotte matches pretty high up last year so I was okay with that. But the list is off to a strong start.

Will/Rey was okay but wasn't in love with it, agreed about Rey. I'm actually interested in this list because I know I have been hard on BritWres and Will is one of the top offenders and I'm willing to give his stuff another look. Wasn't in love with this first offering but it was okay.

The women's match stood out right away but thinking about it the Money in the Bank was probably at the bottom of this batch. It was okay for a MITB match but I honestly wouldn't consider it top tier in even a modern day ladder match.

Good start. Can't wait to see more.

Relentless Admin

Status

#90 - May 23rd
    Akira Tozawa Vs The Brian Kendrick - 205 Live

I have this down as the best 205 match of 2017, a rare example of a program in the cruiserweight division really helping an act get over and moving them up the card as opposed to something that achieves nothing like Dar Vs Alexander. This was the final match of the Tozawa/Kendrick feud and it was contested as a street fight. Kendrick revealed on Stone Cold's podcast that because the match was the week before Extreme Rules, the agents really limited them to what they could use, i.e. no chairs or kendo sticks because they had to be saved for the pay-per-view. That helped the match feel like the freshest WWE hardcore match I've seen in a long time where the dastardly Kendrick used 205 live purple tape to keep tying up Tozawa and would whip him with his trouser belt. After some good heat sequences, Tozawa fought back with the crowd doing the Tozawa HA HA HA chants to drive him on, and picked up the victory with a huge senton off the top rope through a table outside the ring.

#89 - May 17th
    Dragon Lee Vs Hiromu Takahashi - BOSJ Night 1

As Dragon Lee/Kamaitachi matches go, I wouldn't even put this in the top half of their best matches together, but that's not to disgrace this match because I still think it's top 100 worthy. In 2015-16 those two just had some bat shit insane matches together that really should be given a look at if you previously haven't. The BOSJ didn't have too many moments and matches that jump out to me, but on night 1 I thought Lee and Hiromu had a banger of a match together in the main event. They didn't take the amount of risks they usually do together, understandably so on the first night of a tournament, but they still put on an engaging junior heavyweight match together. Dragon Lee picking up the win was perhaps mistake #1 in a year of mistakes of Hiromu's booking.

#88 - April 12th
    Oney Lorcan Vs Drew McInytre - NXT

I'm sorry to all Oney Lorcan fans, but this is the only one of his sprint matches to crack my top 100. Ultimately the competition was too fierce to include more very good TV matches that are pretty hard to pick a favourite out of. The reason why this one gets the nod over all others is because it actually made Drew McIntyre an interesting wrestler in a pretty meh return to WWE all things considered. Drew is at his best when he has such a big size advantage over his opponent, best example of that was his match with Speedball Mike Bailey at BOLA in 2015 where he could dominate and throw him around for fun. That dynamic is on show in this match, with the difference of Oney is so much harder to keep down and his shots back actually hurt drew. This is a violent, intense, smash-mouth, 5 minute sprint of a match that there should be no excuses to find the time to watch if you haven't.

#87 - July 23rd
    New Day Vs The Usos - Battleground

The feud of the year in WWE. It can be a little tricky to distinguish the matches from each other, but this is the one where New Day win the titles from The Usos and there's the spot where Woods is going for his elbow drop off the top rope and someone runs in to superkick him in midair. If I'm not mistaken this is the match where everyone could see Woods was starting to become the MVP of these New Day tags and felt like he was the one about to breakout, not Big E. There's not too much else to say here, two great teams that have amazing chemistry with each other putting on a hot opener with those classic Usos nearfalls.

#86 - July 9th
    Matt Riddle Vs Walter - Progress Chapter 51

It seems a little wrong to call the Riddle/Walter feud the highlight of the Progress Atlas Championship because a few weeks ago Walter and Timothy Thatcher had a MOTYC match over the title, but that's where taking ages to write this thread bites me in the ass. For those familiar with these two wrestlers it wouldn't surprise you to hear the match started off with a chop battle. Walter dominated the match, but Riddle still had his moments to shine and show off his strength with his suplexes. Walter picked up the win with his Gojira Clutch and Walter as Atlas Champion feels right because the title is about 'big lads wrestling' and he is the greatest 'big lad' in the land. I believe Postman Dave was in attendance for this one.

#85 - April 2nd
    AJ Styles Vs Shane McMahon - Wrestlemania 33

I had to defend this match so much going into Wrestlemania because other people wanted AJ Styles in a position to have a great match and didn't want him lumbered in the Shane McMahon match as if it was some type of relegation for him. Well, in my opinion AJ did go on to have a great match and my favourite match at Wrestlemania, more so than Goldberg/Brock. There's questionable moments in the match like you get with all Shane matches where his opponents have to sell his weak jabs like they actually hurt, but beyond that I think this is the best Shane match ever. 90% of this match is Shane wrestling the match straight with AJ, shocking him with his technical ability and reversals and matching him at points, it's the least I've ever had to see him rely on the classic Shane spots. I mean, Shane moving and catching AJ's springboard 450 into a triangle choke.....who expected to see that spot in this match? Towards the end of the match it felt more like a main event than an opener, with finisher kick outs and table spots. This was an incredibly fun start to Wrestlemania and another example of AJ being one of the all time greats to have this type of match with late 40s Shane McMahon.

#84 - October 7th
    Ringkampf Vs Homicide and Low Ki - wXw World Tag League Night 2

One thing I was really looking forward to during wXw's World Tag League was the reunion of Low Ki and Homicide as the Rottweilers, and to see they were in the same block as Walter and Thatcher made me anticipate the weekend more than ever. Ringkampf held the advantage while the match was contested inside the ring, but when it fell apart into a brawl outside it, that's where Homicide and Ki managed to find some joy and ultimately won by turning it into their type of match. Ringkampf owned this whole weekend, and I defy anyone to watch their four tag team matches and not come away a fan; this one was different to the other three because showed off their ability to work a different type of tag match and pull off a brawl. Ki fucked his knee up doing a double stomp to the outside which was a shame because it meant Rottweilers Vs The Briscoes couldn't happen on the next day.

#83 - July 30th
    Travis Banks Vs Keith Lee - Progress Chapter 53

Ahead of their Progress Title match at Ally Pally, Pete Dunne and Travis Banks had been 'picking their poison' so to speak by picking opponents for the other man to wrestle on route to the biggest show of the year. Dunne of course made everything as tough for Banks as possible by setting up a match with Limitless Keith Lee who is about twice his size and just as athletic. Banks is at his best as an underdog, that's where I thought Progress made a mistake by turning him into the Terminator who could withstand anything and defeat everyone, so it was pleasing to see him in a match where the result was somewhat in doubt and he legit got his ass kicked. Just as Keith Lee looks like he has the upper hand in the match, Dunne fucks it up for him by distracting him and Lee takes control again to win. I'm not sure I should include it as a reason why this match is great, but after the post match interference from British Strong Style, Keep It 100 begins to play in one of the loudest reactions of the year signalling that TK Cooper and Dahlia Black are back in England after their visa issues.

#82 - February 12th
    The Elimination Chamber - Elimination Chamber

This was the beginning of the end of Smackdown Live. Everything starts to get pretty messy after this night with Bray as WWE Champion moving onto Orton, AJ moving away from the WWE title and Ambrose moving onto a mediocre Corbin feud. This was a hell of a way to go out with a great chamber match. I'll get the bad out of the way, the new structure of the chamber absolutely sucks and makes things feel like they hurt less. I recently rewatched this match just to remind myself of it and there's a moment where Ambrose and Styles are both on top of a chamber pod and Ambrose is bashing AJ head first into the lexan window which has now replaced the chain links at that part of the structure and I kept thinking if that was any looser, the force AJ is going into it he'll fall right through and down to the floor in a horrible accident. Apart from that, this was an ace chamber match. We start off with Cena Vs AJ in a return to their Rumble classic, and then Ambrose enters as #3 in a return to their No Mercy triple threat. From there they really set things up nicely for mania with Ambrose eliminating Corbin and Corbin destroying him back to build to their match (which Miz awesomely takes advantage of to eliminate Ambrose) and then Cena eliminates Miz to kick start their feud heading into mania. Cena getting eliminated was a hell of a surprise to leave the final two as AJ and Bray, and credit to Bray, this was a night where he was on his game.

#81 - March 19th
    Will Ospreay Vs Mark Andrews - Progress Chapter 45

I said we would be back to Progress' Galvanize show from Manchester in the honourable mentions, and here we are with a match between Will Ospreay Vs Mark Andrews which I would call the best match match Ospreay had as a heel last year. I walk a fine line with Ospreay as a heel because most of the time I think he's really cringy and over-acting in the role, especially in something like the Jimmy Havoc loser leaves town match which is not on this list. Against Andrews here, I thought he was terrific in a more subtle heel performance. He wasn't swearing every second to try and get heat on the crowd, but he looked dead behind the eyes in how he glared at everyone and he had no regard for fans safety when he was diving out of the ring landing on them. Even when Ospreay was the chosen one to end the long reign of Jimmy Havoc, the fans didn't take to him as the top babyface so there's always been this uneasy relationship with them that had potential to become a storyline to turn Ospreay. Also here he doesn't cheat and use weapons to indicate he's a bad guy, but he's more vicious in his strikes and seems like he wants to hurt his opponent, not just beat them. As he was stuck in a losing streak at this point in time, it's no surprise he lost again to Mark Andrews who was being booked strongly at the start of the year by Progress. Don't get me wrong, Andrews was great in the match and if he stayed fit all year he'd of been a contender for babyface of the year in 2017, but Ospreay is the reason this match makes my top 100.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I have no issue with that being the only Oney sprint. That’s probably his best one and still my favorite McIntyre NXT match. The Lorcan/Burch vs AOP match is probably the best two minute match ever though.

Hope there’s more Riddle/WALTER matches to come. What a great series of matches, including the triple threat.

I need to rewatch the elimination chamber. Might do that tonight.

The second Lee/Banks match is way better than this match, though I did like their first match. May not have cracked my top 100 though.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Hope there’s more Riddle/WALTER matches to come. What a great series of matches, including the triple threat.
    There's at least one more.

The second Lee/Banks match is way better than this match, though I did like their first match. May not have cracked my top 100 though.
    I disagree, that match isn't in my top 100. However by that point Progress had sort of lost me on Travis Banks. Post Catch The Sun Progress has been a struggle for me to enjoy.

Next batch will be up tonight. Already written it, just gotta sort the pictures out.

Status

highest ranked WM match in the 80's is telling.

#86 - July 9th
    Matt Riddle Vs Walter - Progress Chapter 51

It seems a little wrong to call the Riddle/Walter feud the highlight of the Progress Atlas Championship because a few weeks ago Walter and Timothy Thatcher had a MOTYC match over the title, but that's where taking ages to write this thread bites me in the ass. For those familiar with these two wrestlers it wouldn't surprise you to hear the match started off with a chop battle. Walter dominated the match, but Riddle still had his moments to shine and show off his strength with his suplexes. Walter picked up the win with his Gojira Clutch and Walter as Atlas Champion feels right because the title is about 'big lads wrestling' and he is the greatest 'big lad' in the land. I believe Postman Dave was in attendance for this one.
    YEAH HE WAS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information