Thread: Austin clean losses since first WWF Title Reign?

The Franchise.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Austin clean losses since first WWF Title Reign?

Don’t ask me why but recently I’ve been thinking about a few past “botched WCW” matches/angles and how history dictates that Goldberg losing to Nash was a huge disaster for the company and that Goldberg should have stayed undefeated. I’ve long disagreed but never had much to back it up. Goldberg was always compared to Austin and it’s said that his loss to Nash caused him and wcws momentum to shatter. I think there was no problem having Goldberg lose here and there as long as it wasn’t clean and the booking after kept him a monster. Anyway it got me thinking; since Austin won his first WWF Title in March 98, I don’t remember him losing much and in fact I don’t think he ever lost cleanly until September 01. Is this correct and do you think Goldberg should have lost more matches through dusty finishes?

Re: Austin clean losses since first WWF Title Reign?

Quote Originally Posted by Franchiser View Post
    Don’t ask me why but recently I’ve been thinking about a few past “botched WCW” matches/angles and how history dictates that Goldberg losing to Nash was a huge disaster for the company and that Goldberg should have stayed undefeated. I’ve long disagreed but never had much to back it up. Goldberg was always compared to Austin and it’s said that his loss to Nash caused him and wcws momentum to shatter. I think there was no problem having Goldberg lose here and there as long as it wasn’t clean and the booking after kept him a monster. Anyway it got me thinking; since Austin won his first WWF Title in March 98, I don’t remember him losing much and in fact I don’t think he ever lost cleanly until September 01. Is this correct and do you think Goldberg should have lost more matches through dusty finishes?
    It's not as if Goldberg's loss caused WCW to lose their momentum. Nitro hadn't beat Raw in the ratings since October.

I wouldn't say Goldberg losing was necessarily a problem, it's just the manner in which they did it. With what they did with Goldberg's streak, whoever was going to end it was going to receive a huge rub. So why ruin that rub by having it be a dirty finish? Furthermore, why waste that gigantic title win by having Nash lay down for Hollywood Hogan a couple of weeks later? None of it made any sense and WCW took what should have been a major deal and turned it into a negative. Typical WCW really though.

Since it was a Three Stages of Hell match, I suppose technically Hunter beat Austin cleanly at No Way Out 2001. Other than that? I can't really think of any clean losses. It's not as if Austin should have been losing cleanly though, especially when he was a face though.

The Franchise.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It's not as if Goldberg's loss caused WCW to lose their momentum. Nitro hadn't beat Raw in the ratings since October.

I wouldn't say Goldberg losing was necessarily a problem, it's just the manner in which they did it. With what they did with Goldberg's streak, whoever was going to end it was going to receive a huge rub. So why ruin that rub by having it be a dirty finish? Furthermore, why waste that gigantic title win by having Nash lay down for Hollywood Hogan a couple of weeks later? None of it made any sense and WCW took what should have been a major deal and turned it into a negative. Typical WCW really though.

Since it was a Three Stages of Hell match, I suppose technically Hunter beat Austin cleanly at No Way Out 2001. Other than that? I can't really think of any clean losses. It's not as if Austin should have been losing cleanly though, especially when he was a face though.
    So I understand they were doing 5+ ratings in early 99 and were actually beating RAW in the rating that night (jan 4) until the ‘put butts in seats’ comments? So they could still have had a ton of momentum had they won that night?

But I think losing the way he did, the fact it was a taser, actually made him seem more ‘bad ass’ and had he been booked as a ‘killer’ out for revenge I think it could and should have made him a bigger star as a result. People will say why Nash but I think realistically it should only have been either Nash, Bret or Steiner. in the right circumstances.

Nash - over huge especially the Wolfpack and his first wcw world title win.

bret - gives him a sudden huge push from mid card to forefront and first wcw world title too.

steiner - big bad ass ready for his mega push and psychotic Steiner rampage to destroy all foes.

So I understand they were doing 5+ ratings in early 99 and were actually beating RAW in the rating that night (jan 4) until the ‘put butts in seats’ comments? So they could still have had a ton of momentum had they won that night?

But I think losing the way he did, the fact it was a taser, actually made him seem more ‘bad ass’ and had he been booked as a ‘killer’ out for revenge I think it could and should have made him a bigger star as a result. People will say why Nash but I think realistically it should only have been either Nash, Bret or Steiner. in the right circumstances.

Nash - over huge especially the Wolfpack and his first wcw world title win.

bret - gives him a sudden huge push from mid card to forefront and first wcw world title too.

steiner - big bad ass ready for his mega push and psychotic Steiner rampage to destroy all foes.
    I can't say I know if Nitro was winning in the hourly ratings on January 4th prior to the Mankind mention, but what I do know is that unlike in the summer where ratings were pretty neck-and-neck with either show winning, Raw was pretty easily beating Nitro for a couple of months before that show. Raw was typically beating Nitro by a full point each week. Even if Nitro was winning for part of the night, it doesn't mean much because they did a big angle with Hollywood Hogan's return after not being seen on WCW TV for two months. Ultimately, it's one night though and even if Foley's win wouldn't have attracted viewers, WCW still would have had the Fingerpoke of Doom. That wasn't going to help them regardless of what was going on in the WWE. Basically, WCW did a truly awful angle at the same time that the WWE was on fire with their main event angles drawing interest.

Nash was a fine pick to beat Goldberg. People tend to forget this, but he was really over at that point in time. Bret would have been a fine choice had it been done in Canada. Absolutely not for Steiner. He wasn't over yet in his Big Poppa Pump gimmick nor would he be until 2000.

Booking, mostly

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Would the Summerslam 99 triple threat when Mankind pinned Austin count as a clean loss? Dont recall any shenanigans that led to the three count (but could be very wrong)

The Franchise.

Status

So I agree it was too soon for Steiner but had they held off half a year or not on Goldberg’s loss he was a contender.

Hogan v Nash finger poke was a disaster but I believe now after all these years, with the proper booking (which didn’t happen) it could have worked. Crazy I know, but I believe so in just the right circumstances. I’m thinking of doing a rebooking of this whole Angle to explain myself and hopefully win some fans over to the idea. Let me stress though, how it went down was fucking awful, but if booked with the right story it could have worked. Think crazed killer Goldberg out for revenge.

The Franchise.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Beast View Post
    Would the Summerslam 99 triple threat when Mankind pinned Austin count as a clean loss? Dont recall any shenanigans that led to the three count (but could be very wrong)
    It took a pedigree then a double arm ddt to put him down. I thought it was on a chair but wasn’t so technically it is a clean loss although it takes two people to get him down (like breakdown 98 undertaker and Kane) but good spot. So really 1on1 Austin never lost clean for years?

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

It was the wrong time to beat Goldberg, because he was still, by far, the hottest act in WCW, and was carrying what little steam the company had in terms of ratings and ticket sales. It was the wrong person to beat Goldberg, because that role should have gone to the next big WCW star, much as, in theory, should have been the person who ended Undertaker’s streak. Everything about ending Goldberg’s streak was wrong, from the reasoning to do it, the person who did it, the timing of doing, and the execution.

And don't even get me started on the absurdity of how the Fingerpoke of Doom 'could have worked'.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Hogan v Nash finger poke was a disaster but I believe now after all these years, with the proper booking (which didn’t happen) it could have worked. Crazy I know, but I believe so in just the right circumstances. I’m thinking of doing a rebooking of this whole Angle to explain myself and hopefully win some fans over to the idea. Let me stress though, how it went down was fucking awful, but if booked with the right story it could have worked. Think crazed killer Goldberg out for revenge.
    Absolutely not.

Forget about Goldberg for a moment. It made zero sense for Nash to lay down and let Hogan beat him for the WCW Title when he had been feuding with Hogan for nearly a year. The entire problem that caused the Wolfpac to splinter off from the nWo is the fact that members were sick of Hogan's need of being in control and World Champion. Then literally months later, we were supposed to care about a Nash/Hogan mid-1999 program over the WCW World Title.

Maybe, maybe you could make a Fingerpoke of Doom work if a non-Wolfpac member had beaten Goldberg, but regardless of what you did, it wouldn't have made any sense for a Wolfpac member to just lay down for Hogan.

Thread Information