Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturday Night's Main Event - Misawa & Kobashi vs. Kawada & Taue - December 3rd 1993

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Saturday Night's Main Event - Misawa & Kobashi vs. Kawada & Taue - December 3rd 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I've only really viewed late 80s/early 90s stuff, but it's the tag league that jumps out to me every time from this promotion and feels super important. It's a vehicle to tell stories on a deeper level than 'what's next for the tag team titles'. I know New Japan have never been a big tag team promotion, but it's a shame that in this golden era they're having and with the talent on the roster, you know you will never see the top 4 stars in the promotion have a tag team match against each other. The only thing I can think of that comes anywhere close is before WK8 there was a Christmas week show that had a 30 minute time limit draw Okada and Nakamura Vs Tanahashi and Naito match on it, but obviously nothing was on the line.
    I feel like it's the most obvious thing they can fix in NJPW is the tag division to make it more important. Even in the 90s the Jr. Tag division was one of the best in the world at least even though the heavies weren't super in on it. That match you used as an example was a great match that they could easily do more of. Them starting off the year with Okada/Goto challenging for the tag titles is a welcome change of pace. Hopefully they can take some notes from ol' Baba on how to make the division work because AJPW was a really special place in the 90s and like Shock said, the amount of tag and Trios matches that were amazing are easily on part with the singles classics and actually not only that often all come together and make the singles matches even better and show what an amazing in-ring storytelling promotion AJPW really was. As I said, even now AJPW is way better than NJPW, but they're still setting the pieces in place.

That's high praise.

I reckon I'd go with Hansen/Kobashi over this match, but not by much. Do your other '93 MOTYC come from AJPW in this year, or is there something from the states or lucha that tops it?
    Hansen/Kobashi was one, and the other 2 are from Joshi. Til' about '95 was peak Joshi and a time period that deserves major respect. Lucha was at one of It's worst because AAA drove CMLL off tv so any matches would be from them outside of something really rare (like an awesome Ultimo Dragon vs Negro Casas matches that made it through which I actually like better than any AAA match that makes me laugh when people say Dragon is overrated), there are some good ones but no MOTYCs imo. (though I know people that have a AAA match in their top 5.) US? Probably Vader/Sting or Flair/Vader or Flair/Bret. Even those you're looking at edging my top 20-25 but really are great matches. Japan ruled wrestling in '93, there's no doubt about that.

I feel like I'm going through the same kind of journey with Misawa. I'm very early on in my AJPW viewing, but it's Kawada and Kobashi that I connect with much more than Misawa and come away more impressed by. I enjoyed the matches with Jumbo, but then when I started diving into Stan Hansen matches, his matches with Misawa just didn't live up to Stan's matches with Kawada and Kobashi. Perhaps it's his stoic nature and it's gonna take longer to appreciate him, but I'm waiting for that performance where I truly 'get him', ya know? Obviously I still think he's a great wrestler and I really did enjoy his role in this tag match.
    Misawa was solidly my third favorite of the 3rd after watching everything I could again for GWE. There are some people that are way too hard on him though, he was more prone to taking "nights off" than Kawada or especially Kobashi were and as you already took note of his charisma isn't as outward as the other two. He has so many great performances though that it's hard not to come around on him. Even in this tag he definitely has a veil of being above it all at certain points, but when it's crunch time he was there. Like Shock said he was the Ace and biggest star of the company and it showed. He's definitely one of the all time greats but in terms of the top top TOP, there were others I liked more than him personally, including the two everyone loves.

think this is the only Taue match I've ever seen. He's an awkward kind of guy but he does the basics really well and plays his role to a tee.
    They used to call him in Japan "Two Left Feet". That doesn't mean he was bad though. He was actually super awesome and was in so many epic matches he was in my top 50 of all time, but you pretty much described him well as a first impression. Of note, his theme song was just as awesome as the other 3 and the HDA mix with both Eclipse and Holy War 21 is among my all time favorite themes.

I definitely think independent of SNME I want to really increase my AJPW viewing and watch as much as I can from the 90s in order.
    Anything that ends with "I wanna watch more AJPW from the 90s" is never wrong.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

FUCK FACE

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Saturday Night's Main Event - Misawa & Kobashi vs. Kawada & Taue - December 3rd 1

Any takers to run tomorrow’s thread?

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

Finally got round to this, sorry it's late.

Like the previous match, I watched this without any prior knowledge of feuds, implications, history etc. surrounding the bout. After watching it I went back and looked at Shock's review to see how much I picked up just on the in ring stuff alone, and I'm glad to say a lot of stuff translates even with the language barrier. I got the understanding of the hierarchy quick, Misawa is THE MAN with Kobashi as Misawa's protege so to speak. Kawada & Taue bullying Kobashi early was great, little wasted motion with every move intent on doing damage. Kawada's leg getting was a BIG tide turner with Kobashi almost shark like with his immediate focus on the body part. I did wonder if there was something behind Kobashi getting the pinfall at the end, and again saw it did mean something. Misawa was almost like a guide here, he was in far better shape come the end of the match, but his job was done. His team won, his protege took the bulk of the punishment, and now I see his rival also suffered a more humiliating defeat at Kobashi's hands rather than his own.

As for Kawada, despite his dickishness early you can't help but feel sorry for him come the end of the match. He so valiantly absorbs everything until he simply can't take anymore & Taue can no longer make the save. It's such a well rounded character trait, to be able to attain such sympathy despite early actions.

Anyway, cool choice. First time I've really sat down & watched one of these matches.

BTB Legend

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Any takers to run tomorrow’s thread?
    I'll give it a shot if nobody else already has plans to do so.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Give me another week or so.

Sorry I haven’t got on this one. I’ll give it a watch tomorrow.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

FUCK FACE

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Reply

Quote Originally Posted by EgoFantastico View Post
    I'll give it a shot if nobody else already has plans to do so.
    Go ahead Ego, you're the only one to come forward.

Thanks.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

This was excellent. As someone familiar with Misawa and Kobashi from NOAH and ROH (and lucky enough to have seen them in-ring live on a UK NOAH tour) I was immediately drawn to them and marked out when Kobashi hit a fucking moonsault. Before that even happened though I was wondering how it would've been cool to see him in a Hogan type role in WWF back when I was a kid; he's such a big dude, but so good and so likeable, if his English had been good enough I see no reason why he couldn't have been huge(r) internationally. I was also shocked at how alike he and Taue looked - similar size, similar body type, similar hair cut, similar ring gear - I didn't have any trouble telling them apart but I could imagine having trouble in a live situation.

I loved how Kawada hardly sold the knee at first but peppered in a couple of moments before the one that alerted Kobashi to it's vulnerability and then Kenta was all over it like a rabid dog on a bone; he was brutal and it was cool to see the difference between the young and hungry Kobashi and the cool, collected, ring general, Mitsuharu Misawa, who barely touched the knee (if at all, come to think of it) because he knew he didn't need to.

There were a couple of moments that took me out of it, mostly down to Taue not saving Kawada earlier on in attacks on his knee, but this was one of the easiest above four star matches I've ever seen. Everyone walked into the match with such an air of confidence about them that I never doubted for a moment this was going to be high level and within minutes I was fully invested and now it's over I wouldn't argue with anyone that called this five stars. Great stuff. Thanks Shock.

Thread Information