Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paige's In Ring Career Is Over

Status

Re: Paige's In Ring Career Is Over

I look at this from the opposite perspective.... rather than being disappointed for her and disappointed as a fan, I'm thankful that she's getting to walk away from the ring while she can still do that - walk. A lot of wrestlers who have long careers suffer physically the consequences of that, and it can impact their quality of life for the rest of their life. I understand there is inherent risk and that is accepted by the athlete the moment they step into the ring, but the thought of these athletes leaving themselves essentially crippled for my entertainment bothers me more and more as I get older. Its why I truly genuinely hope that Daniel Bryan never steps into a ring again.

Paige can still have a long career in the wrestling business if she so chooses. It might not be the in-ring career she dreamt of, but she managed to accomplish a lot in the time she was in the WWE. Working out of the ring for the WWE might not be as lucrative but I imagine its a decent living.

Maybe I'd feel different if Paige was a true personal favorite, as she is for many others. Always liked her, but her NXT run was before I watched NXT, and thru most of her WWE run, I've always felt like there was a far more interesting character, waiting to be let out.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I look at this from the opposite perspective.... rather than being disappointed for her and disappointed as a fan, I'm thankful that she's getting to walk away from the ring while she can still do that - walk. A lot of wrestlers who have long careers suffer physically the consequences of that, and it can impact their quality of life for the rest of their life. I understand there is inherent risk and that is accepted by the athlete the moment they step into the ring, but the thought of these athletes leaving themselves essentially crippled for my entertainment bothers me more and more as I get older. Its why I truly genuinely hope that Daniel Bryan never steps into a ring again.

Paige can still have a long career in the wrestling business if she so chooses. It might not be the in-ring career she dreamt of, but she managed to accomplish a lot in the time she was in the WWE. Working out of the ring for the WWE might not be as lucrative but I imagine its a decent living.

Maybe I'd feel different if Paige was a true personal favorite, as she is for many others. Always liked her, but her NXT run was before I watched NXT, and thru most of her WWE run, I've always felt like there was a far more interesting character, waiting to be let out.
    Yes, for the fact that she's getting the chance to WALK away form the business, I'm very thankful. I'd never wish for her to prolong her carer for the selfish want and lust of the fans (I have conflicting opinions with regards to Bryan in that respect but that's a whole different conversation). But for the fact that her career has been cut VERY short, I'm disappointed and sad. I don't think there's anything wrong with being sad and disappointed for that.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I've not listened to it yet (and apologises if this has already been mentioned) but apparently Paige herself admitted in her interview with Lillian Garcia on her podcast, that her doctor - not WWE's, Paige's personal doctor - had advised her not to return to the ring this early. This was from a few weeks back, maybe a few months at this point, and while they didn't actively attempt to stop her they did tell her to give it more time, but WWE's doctor cleared her to perform. If that information is all correct, which I believe it is but want to double check by listening to the podcast myself, then this issue is on WWE and Paige and no one else; Sasha may have performed the move that ended Paige's career but Paige was in there with knowledge that this was a possibility and WWE let her go out there knowing that too. Literally anyone could've performed that kick and it would've been the same result because it was only a matter of time.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    I've not listened to it yet (and apologises if this has already been mentioned) but apparently Paige herself admitted in her interview with Lillian Garcia on her podcast, that her doctor - not WWE's, Paige's personal doctor - had advised her not to return to the ring this early. This was from a few weeks back, maybe a few months at this point, and while they didn't actively attempt to stop her they did tell her to give it more time, but WWE's doctor cleared her to perform. If that information is all correct, which I believe it is but want to double check by listening to the podcast myself, then this issue is on WWE and Paige and no one else; Sasha may have performed the move that ended Paige's career but Paige was in there with knowledge that this was a possibility and WWE let her go out there knowing that too. Literally anyone could've performed that kick and it would've been the same result because it was only a matter of time.
    Iup, several sources confirm that the doctor who performed her neck surgery advised her not to return to the ring period let alone return when she did. Thing is though, if WWE's doctors cleared her to return (the same doctors that won't clear Bryan for example), then why would Paige or WWE management dispute that? This could be a sign that they need to reevaluate how they clear people though as it seems that it could have been a blunder on the part of WWE's doctors at this point.
    And let's be clear; there should be absolutely no blame on Sasha Banks here.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Yes, for the fact that she's getting the chance to WALK away form the business, I'm very thankful. I'd never wish for her to prolong her carer for the selfish want and lust of the fans (I have conflicting opinions with regards to Bryan in that respect but that's a whole different conversation). But for the fact that her career has been cut VERY short, I'm disappointed and sad. I don't think there's anything wrong with being sad and disappointed for that.
    I didn't mean to say you can't or shouldn't feel that way. Its absolutely understandable and acceptable. Perhaps almost unavoidable. And its how most in the this thread feel. My point was simply that I've learned - through seeing far too many of these situations - that I prefer to look through the opposite view, where possible. That's all.

SAY MY NAME

Status
      Country                    England

What do we reckon. Is Paige putting on a brave face here and they're just delaying the retirement until maybe after the Rumble? or are the reports of her retiring premature?

DECADE OF DOOMINANCE~!!!

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

What do we reckon. Is Paige putting on a brave face here and they're just delaying the retirement until maybe after the Rumble? or are the reports of her retiring premature?
    I'm sort of speculating that she'll announce her retirement after the event. It's best to wait to announce it after the Royal Rumble, instead before the PPV, to keep up with the Absolution storyline somewhat. I'm glad she's taking it okay cause in her eyes, she was not happy that she won't be competing anymore. That breaks my heart.

LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    FANTASY BASEBALL: 2014 | FANTASY BASKETBALL: 2017-18 | FANTASY FOOTBALL: 2016

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Yeah I reckon they wanna get next week out of the way first so it doesn't overshadow/gets lost in the shuffle of the 25th anniversary Raw & the Rumble weekend. At the earliest they will announce it during the Rumble preshow

Zen Through Bacon

Status
      Country                    UK

I think she'll make a great on screen talent for WWE still, I'll be intrigued to see if her want to wrestle again will become too great of a pull when her contract is up for renewal next year.

I'll still be forever aggrieved though that WWE used all her NXT momentum and pissed it up the wall to put over Nikki Bella for a year, to scrub AJ from the longest reigning spot.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

I think that since Absolution are heels they don't want them getting a face pop, which they would do if Paige came out and announced her retirement. Plus they probbaly don't want to detract focus from the history making womens Rumble.
    I also expect that Paige will stay on screen as their manager for the time being anyway.

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

Just to touch on the Sasha stuff, in all likelihood the agents are the most to blame for allowing such a thing to happen. Everyone should have been told to stay away from her neck period. If Paige comes out in some interview and says that happened then we can put heat on Sasha. The truth is we don't know how the match was planned out so it's confusing to me why you all are talking like you do. It is fair to tell it like it is with Sasha though. She's completely reckless and incompetent in the ring, proven that fact many times over, and it wasn't surprising at all that she injured someone to me. Just like when that bum Rollins was injuring people all over the place. When you put someone who is basically incapable of wrestling safely with injury risks like in this case Paige, you're asking for trouble. In this case, we saw what happened. Sasha is terrible and totally deserves to be criticized for it. For this though the problem ultimately is, this isn't some quack Joseph Maroon bullshit doctor WWE had that flies in the face of everything that told Paige about her neck. Her own doc told her she was taking a risk. If it wasn't this kick that took Paige out, it would have been something else in another match. She shouldn't have been in the ring in the first place. It was a risk and I'm certain she knew what could happen by pushing herself too early. I wish the agents or Sasha or whoever had worked around that fact better.

I really relate to her in a lot of ways, she started wrestling the same age I did, she's around my age now, and I know what kind of A. Mind you have to have to do such a thing in the first place. And B. What that can do to your mind already. And not to mention all the crazy shit she's done since that have come back to bite her publicly that no doubt took a huge toll on her. But despite all that, and even as someone who really isn't a fan of hers as an in-ring performer, I was really rooting for her redemption. That video and her reaction on Raw definitely didn't seem like someone who was about to retire but if so she really deserves to be commended for being a true pro and better actress than we give her credit for. Who knows? Like I said, you have to have a pretty particular kind of mind to wrestle for a living, maybe she thinks she can come back if she has a longer wait. Even if she's not now, I have a hunch she'll push herself to come back eventually even if not now. I'm projecting a bit onto her right now but wrestling seems like the most stable thing she's ever known in her life. You can't understate how someone will hold onto that.
    Bull's Poseidon~

Gokumon-to~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Thread Information