Thread: 2018 Overwatch League Discussion Thread

Status
      Country                    Djibouti

2018 Overwatch League Discussion Thread

In just under 18 hours, the closest eSports has ever gotten to a traditional sports league will be under way. Here's your primer to the opening season of The Overwatch League (OWL).

Wait but eSports are so lame: Usually but not this time! Blizzard has decked out the game UI to make OWL games insanely easy to follow, with team colors both on the character themselves and their abilities! Competitive video games have never been easier to watch than in this new, highly refined system. Plus, Overwatch is a very simple game to understand, unlike more complex eSports like mobas or card games. Every Overwatch game comes down to a simple game of control, even a novice to the game could watch one OWL match and get the gist pretty quickly! Don't believe me? Try THIS LINK.

Okay but they're also notoriously hard to follow! When are the games, who are the players, why should I care about the teams?: Never fear comrade! The OWL, unlike traditional eSports leagues, is set up much like any typical sports league, with a handy website and app to boot! While it's often impossible to figure out when the next big event in is in a DOTA or LOL table, the OWL has 12 teams that will always play two games a week during each stage of the season. They'll acrue wins and losses and then be shuffled into a typical playoff system at the end. Anyone who's ever been a fan of the NFL, NBA, or otherwise, will quickly adapt! Plus every game will be streaming live on Twitch, with archived games available on the website. That website is right behind THIS HANDY LINK and should have all the info you could ever want. Don't forget the app too!

Fine it sounds alright, but eSports teams always have such nonsense names, and how do I find one I like?: Did I mention the teams are region-based? No more silly, hard to explain, edgy eSports names. Now you have teams like the DALLAS FUEL going up against the SHANGHAI DRAGONS. Need to pick a team? Choose one close to you! Or don't, I'm not your dad! With 12 regional teams in two divisions, there's something for everyone!

What am I waiting for? This sounds great!
    : You're darn right Mr. Strawman. Games start tonight and you're not gonna want to miss it. Pick your team, watch a preseason game or two, buy some of the handy new skins in game, and get stoked! Don't you want to say you were in on the ground floor?
    20 Years of Hype | The Best Superhero Movie Tournament

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

Re: 2018 Overwatch League Discussion Thread

Stage One: Week 1

Wednesday, January 10th
    San Francisco Shock v. Los Angeles Valiant
    Shanghai Dragons v. Los Angeles Gladiators
    Dallas Fuel v. Seoul Dynasty

Thursday, January 11th
    London Spitfire v. Florida Mayhem
    Philadelphia Fusion v. Houston Outlaws
    Boston Uprising v. New York Excelsior

Friday, January 12th
    Los Angeles Valiant v. Dallas Fuel
    Florida Mayhem v. Boston Uprising
    San Francisco Shock v. Shanghai Dragons

Saturday, January 13th
    London Spitfire v. Philadelphia Fusion
    New York Excelsior v. Houston Outlaws
    Seoul Dynasty v. Los Angeles Gladiators

WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Seriously though, my girlfriend and I hung out with some eSports folks in Austin last year and had a blast. I couldn't care less about the games themselves but the people playing them are tops in my book.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five MCU Movie Characters~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Kudos on the thread. I'm excited to check these games out later. I don't really have a preference on teams so far but I will say if teams get a revenue share from the purchased skins, then it really sucks for everyone who isn't Seoul Dynasty. Nearly all of those black and gold skins are must-have. The only L.A. Gladiators skin I purchased was Winston, because who doesn't aspire to get a play of the game as Bonzi Buddy?
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

God's Gift to God

Status

Overwatch is def a simple game to follow. Anyone playing hanzo is trash and probably don't tip their waiters/waitresses

This seems dope and I'll check it out in the early going. I don't play enough overwatch so piping some comp strats to add to my mystery hero arsenal would be excellent

Status

By far the best game of the first two days was the second round between the Seoul Dynasty (favorites to win the league), and the Dallas Fuel. The entire match was great but if you want just a micro look of how cool and fun this league already is, set aside a half hour to watch these two behemoths tear down Anubis.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

These guys are making me feel awful about my poor Overwatch skills. First round, Dallas Fuel wins in under two minutes with only the Widowmaker ult being used? Crikey.

Thread Information