Thread: The Butterfly Effect II: The Alternative War

Underdog

Status

The Butterfly Effect II: The Alternative War

The Butterfly Effect II: The Alternative War

Perhaps my most (only) successful project on this board, and the one I’ve enjoyed more than anything else I’ve done, is my Monday Night Wars: The Butterfly Effect thread. For those who weren’t around when I was writing that, the basic concept was me figuring out what the wrestling industry would look like in the modern day had WCW not gone out of business in 2001. I’d write up articles to paint a picture of the world I’d created and then the plan from there was to write shows for both promotions set in that world. Unfortunately, the fact that I’d rewritten an entire fifteen or so years’ worth of history meant I ran into a lot of problems with consistencies in stories and plot holes of sorts which proved a huge obstacle in me moving forward past the article stage. Despite those aforementioned obstacles and failures, I’m here to do it all over again! And yes, your right, I don’t learn from my mistakes. Well, actually, this time around things will be a little bit different. Rather than covering fifteen years’ worth of history I’ll only be rewriting seven years. The reason? Rather than asking the question “what would the wrestling industry look like in the modern day had WCW survived in ‘01?”, I’ll be trying to figure out the answer to the question “what would professional wrestling have looked like in ‘01 had Jim Ross been made president of WCW in ’94 instead of Eric Bischoff?” Perhaps an even more interesting question, in my opinion, especially when you consider how much of the way we see the industry today is because of what Eric Bischoff done in the 90’s and how influential his appointment was in dictating the path 90’s professional wrestling followed.

So, much like my previous Butterfly Effect project, this one will begin with a variety of articles to lay the foundations of this new world. From there I will proceed (hopefully) with the more conventional weekly shows format for both WCW and the WWF. I know 90’s wrestling isn’t something a few of the guys on here are too familiar with and so this may not prove to be as popular as my previous project. On the flipside that could actually work to the advantage of potential readers as they can fully immerse themselves in this timeline without any prior knowledge of the existing timeline to throw them off.

(What’s this Butterfly Effect II: Extreme Renaissance you speak of? Never heard of it. There’s only one true sequel to my original project and that is the Alternative War!)

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Re: The Butterfly Effect II: The Alternative War

Great to see you back. As JR was a wrestling guy and TBS didn't trust a wrestling guy with money (Ole, Bill Watts etc), I'll be interested in seeing how well WCW will get on.
    Koi Suru Fortune Cookie

Jobber

Status
      Country                    Ireland

This looks amazing! Good luck man, will be following this!

People's Champion

Status

Interesting OBEY. I just don't think the scenario would have worked out. 96-99 is a big boom period of professional wrestling and it only boomed because of the snapped wing effect of one man... Eric Bischoff!!!

Love him or hate him Eric Bischoff was the catalyst of wrestling's best period in the 90s.

If JR takes over then Bischoff leaves WCW. That one is a given considering they disliked each other. Hell Bischoff getting the job is the reason JR quit WCW. The biggest thing I could see happening is Bischoff joining the WWF in 94/95. That could be an interesting dynamic, but Bischoff will not have any of the resources made available to him in his time in WCW.

I'd definitely be keen to see what would happen with Austin, Hall. Nash, Hart & Hogan if JR was in charge of WCW and McMahon WWF. As a pure wrestling man I can't see JR going head to head with the WWF, also Austin really went big when faced with the evil Mr McMahon character, a character that might not be created if Eric Bischoff's plan to lure the likes of Hall, Nash and Hart to WCW with Turner's chequebook. So perhaps no New World Order, no Montreal Screwjob and no exciting feud between Bischoff and McMahon, whose one-upping of each other fuelled the Monday Night Wars that in reality kept wrestling alive.

In addition to Austin I can't see JR taking up the role of McMahon in his rise because JR can't be that guy. He failed miserably at being a heel when given the chance in the WWF.

This will definitely be worth the read though OBEY, if even for the intrigue and interest of what you could possibly come up with.

Hopefully you actually get to doing some consistent shows after chronicling the history leading to the start, always seems to be your downfall after a terrific introduction.

Good luck mate!!!

Underdog

Status

BLOGAMANIA: THE RETRO REVIEW

Written by “The BlogaManiac” on January 1, 2000

Happy New Year! Or, perhaps more appropriately, happy new millennium! It’s not every year you get to bring in one of those, after all. That damn Y2K Bug really got us, too. Airplanes fell from the skies, electricity was lost across the globe, banking systems crashed; it’s the end of the world as we know it! Who’d have thought an R.E.M. song from ’87 would be more relevant than ever in the year 2000. Oh, that didn’t happen? To be completely honest with you, I wasn’t expecting this. I was expecting to wake up this morning to a complete technological meltdown with no conceivable way of getting this week’s edition of BlogaMania out to you. No, that’s not an excuse for bringing my New Year in with a few too many drinks, either. Honest.

Alright, let’s get productive. Over the forthcoming week we here at BlogaMania will be chronicling professional wrestling from a specific, quite monumental moment in the 90’s. Originally I was going to cover the entirely of the 90’s but the thought of covering the utter wrestlecrap of early 90’s, Ole Anderson, Bill Watts and Dusty Rhodes WCW, made me begin to question my very existence. So we won’t be doing that. Instead we will begin in 1993 – February ’93 to be exact. February ’93 marked the beginning of Jim Ross’ spell in charge of WCW and whether you’re a JR loyalist or oppose his regime, there’s no denying the effect it had on not just WCW but the industry as a whole. For so long WCW had struggled to find the right balance between a corporate guy and a wrestling guy. A company backed by Ted Turner’s billions should not have been haemorrhaging money at the rate in which they were, but the fact remains that throughout their early existence WCW lost money year after year. Jim Ross would become the first man to turn a profit at the head of the promotion, but his spell in charge wasn’t without its controversies. Many supporters of Jim Ross will swear to you that WCW, and wrestling as a whole, would not be where it is today had it not been for JR’s management of the WWF’s only competition, whilst others will argue that it wasn’t until JR left that the company was really able to revolutionise itself and change the face of professional wrestling as we know it today. Whichever side of the fence you sit on there’s no denying that JR’s appointment to Executive Vice President of WCW was the turning point for the fortunes of WCW. Imagine, at one point Eric Bischoff, now the head play-by-play guy for the WWF's flagship Raw program, was being considered for the role – I can’t imagine that would have ended any better than Schiavone’s spell in charge.

We’ll be covering the highs of Starrcade ’99 as well as the lows of “HBK’s” fall from grace. We’ll walk you through the rise of a “Superstar” and a “Perfect” world title reign. An “Extreme Renaissance” and a behind the scenes feud to end them all. We refuse to leave any stone unturned in our quest to bring you a definitive guide on the professional world following JR’s promotion to Executive Vice President of WCW. So sit back and enjoy the ride as we take a trip back to the beginning of my favourite decade in professional wrestling history (and just in general, to be honest) with BlogaMania’s Retro Review!

BlogaMania’s Retro Review will cover the following:
    -Top 25 Greatest Wrestlers Since ‘93
    -Top 25 Biggest Stories Since ‘93
    -Top 10 Wrestlers to Never Become World Champion Since ‘93
    -Top 10 Failed Pushes Since ‘93
    -Top 10 Greatest Tag Teams Since ‘93
    -Top 10 Greatest Feuds/Storylines Since ‘93
    -Top 10 Greatest Pay Per Views Since ‘93
    -Top 10 Wrestlers to Watch Out For in the New Millennium
    Last edited by OBEY; 01-18-2018 at 04:56 AM.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

That superstar reference. It could be Austin (his ECW Moniker) but I don't know. Anyway, looking forward to more.
    Koi Suru Fortune Cookie

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status
      Country                    Canada

Really looking forward to Top 10 Failed Pushes, don't think I've ever seen that in a BTB before. Best of luck OBEY, always love reading your stuff!

Thread Information