Thread: Impact Wrestling is trying to sign Rey Mysterio

Status
      Country                    United States

Impact Wrestling Impact Wrestling is trying to sign Rey Mysterio

For months there have been rumors about Rey Mysterio potentially joining Impact Wrestling. Over the summer, there were talks between both sides and Mysterio was in Nashville to meet with the old regime. Those talks fell through.

On Tuesday’s Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer confirmed that the talks have resumed. Meltzer said, “there has been dialogue. The last I heard was that he probably wouldn’t be at TV this week but I’m sure they are trying. There’s definitely dialogue. I am sure that they want it. Yea, it’s true. It was not a done deal as of a couple of days ago but it was certainly was something that they are working on.”

Impact has been doing a ton of cost-cutting in recent months but the fact is that they do need to get some top stars if they plan on growing in 2018. It will cost them a significant amount of money to get him but apparently, they feel he’s worth it. Impact Wrestling begins their next set of TV tapings on Wednesday night from Orlando’s Universal Studios.
    Would be a smart move for name value, but wonder how much that will cost.

Status

Re: Impact Wrestling is trying to sign Rey Mysterio

Dammnit, Impact finally figured it out! A 43 year old luchadore who was never a truly major star for the WWE is just what they need to finally take off!

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

I'm not too sure what he could really offer at this stage in his career other than name value. The X-Division doesn't need him (I know i'm a month or so behind HoHo but this is still the case right?) and he wouldn't fit into the main event scene with Eli, Impact and El Patron about. If they want a big name, they should be looking at more cost effective guys that can offer more than just name value..i'm sure there's a few of them about.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Yeh I guess it would bring some viewers, but seriously I bet he cost a ton.

Status

At some point, you would think Impact/TNA would realize that relying on past-their-best former-WWE stars isn't giving them the growth they want. Name value is only part of the formula. This company just can't prevent itself from repeating the same mistakes over and over and over and over. Unless Rey comes in at a reasonable value - unlikely - or they have some innovative way to use him, its repeating the same things.

Status

The only scenario I guess would be for a big time PPV, but I highly doubt they make enough buyrates.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    At some point, you would think Impact/TNA would realize that relying on past-their-best former-WWE stars isn't giving them the growth they want.
    Nope.
    Unless Rey comes in at a reasonable value
    Nope.
    or they have some innovative way to use him
    Nope.

To summarize, different year, same old TNA.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Film Franchises~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I wanna laugh so hard at this because I made a similar thread four or five months ago with Impact's interest in wanting Mysterio and nothing came of it. I said he'll be a name, and if they do get him it would be smart to use him like Lucha Underground to preserve him in such a good way that would be a asset to the company. If I had to give a wish list, I would say Impact should be looking to fill up the Tag Team, and Knockouts Division maybe more than trying to get Mysterio right now.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Internet Favorite

Status

Sounds about right Fuji.....however they may surprise us and use the money to get a few decent calibre guys in.....

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

*Sigh* Didn't they want to sign him last year? He will be too expensive and sure he will bring some eyes to Impact but not enough to make the investment a success in my opinion. And of course, bringing another ex WWE guy for a paycheck.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Internet Favorite

Status

Just thinking about it...wouldn't they be better off saving the cash then trying to get Neville once his contact expires?

Status

I'm already pissed that this lead to the firing of a lot of Anthem employees including Wai Ting, and John Pollock, among others. The whole LAW was let go.

Prince Of Joshi

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Just thinking about it...wouldn't they be better off saving the cash then trying to get Neville once his contact expires?
    Personally I would in a heartbeat. Dude was the soul of the 205 Live Roster and if he doesn't return to WWE, why not try to get him and you can make him the top heel pretty easy.

Real Women of Genius

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Yeah hopefully Impact doesn’t rely on this guy to build their company around.

On the other hand, Impact doesn’t have any big names, and even if they build someone like Xavier or Drake up where the audience are super invested in them, who are they gonna face? Trevor Lee?

I mean Rey has a place, as long as it’s limited and it’s to put over upcoming talent. Let’s say they decide Dezmond Xavier is their guy, and they want to push him to the moon. He concurs the X Division and says that he’s the greatest high flayed of all time. No one can beat him. No one from the states, from Canada, Japan or even a traditional Lucha for. Outcomes Rey and you have yourself a dream match.

Or they. Can debut him, have him hit the 619 on Drake and win the World Title.

Prince Of Joshi

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RobyD View Post
    Yeah hopefully Impact doesn’t rely on this guy to build their company around.

On the other hand, Impact doesn’t have any big names, and even if they build someone like Xavier or Drake up where the audience are super invested in them, who are they gonna face? Trevor Lee?

I mean Rey has a place, as long as it’s limited and it’s to put over upcoming talent. Let’s say they decide Dezmond Xavier is their guy, and they want to push him to the moon. He concurs the X Division and says that he’s the greatest high flayed of all time. No one can beat him. No one from the states, from Canada, Japan or even a traditional Lucha for. Outcomes Rey and you have yourself a dream match.

Or they. Can debut him, have him hit the 619 on Drake and win the World Title.
    I hope if they do try to sign him Plan A is the better choice indeed. I remember WWE wanted to do that with Sin Cara remember and Rey got injured. I would love to see Rey pass the torch to Xavier, even know he's still raw right now. I think though he can be the next Styles for them, they better hold onto him before he gets a call from another company sooner rather than later.

Real Women of Genius

Thread Information