Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roseanne Discussion

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Roseanne Discussion

I just watched the first two episodes.

I thought it was pretty well done. I didn't mind the political talk at first and it doesn't seem like it is going to be a focus going forward. Just kind of something that was addressed at the beginning.

With the show using current events and things relevant to it wouldn't it have been kinda weird for them not to even mention it?

It didn't bother me like some current shows that focus on it and take one certain side and drill it into the ground.

Hurrah for the flag of the free!
    May it wave as our standard forever,
    The gem of the land and the sea,
    The banner of the right.
    Let tyrants remember the day
    When our fathers with mighty endeavor
    Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
    That by their might and by their right
    It waves forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    With the show using current events and things relevant to it wouldn't it have been kinda weird for them not to even mention it?
    I don't think it's necessary. Especially when you look at the other stories being told in those first two episodes, the Trump debate was the least important. It was a stupid argument that could have been about literally anything instead.

It reminded me of the season 2 premiere of Last Man Standing and how the 2012 election was the main focus. Once again, you had two opposing sides in a family, but once they brought the election talk into it, I had zero interest in the show and didn't bother watching that season until it popped up on Netflix a year later.

We're truly bombarded by US presidential politics all of the time and in all facets of our life. I'm not interested in that when I'm trying to watch a sitcom. It doesn't matter if it's pro Trump, anti Trump, pro Obama, anti Obama, or anything else, I lose interest immediately. It's not necessary and especially today, it's only going to divide your audience.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I don't think it's necessary. Especially when you look at the other stories being told in those first two episodes, the Trump debate was the least important. It was a stupid argument that could have been about literally anything instead.

It reminded me of the season 2 premiere of Last Man Standing and how the 2012 election was the main focus. Once again, you had two opposing sides in a family, but once they brought the election talk into it, I had zero interest in the show and didn't bother watching that season until it popped up on Netflix a year later.

We're truly bombarded by US presidential politics all of the time and in all facets of our life. I'm not interested in that when I'm trying to watch a sitcom. It doesn't matter if it's pro Trump, anti Trump, pro Obama, anti Obama, or anything else, I lose interest immediately. It's not necessary and especially today, it's only going to divide your audience.
    I will have to disagree.

I think if is done in a way that it seems the show is one sided one way or the other it will divide your audience.

If it is done in a way that gets both view points across in a light hearted joking manner like this did it is fine.

The banner of the right.
    It waves forever.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Couldn't disagree more.

You know exactly what my post was about. Between the two posts I made, it's very clear that my issue was the forced pro/anti Trump talk. When you break it down, practically everything you could talk about on a television show could be seen as an issue, although I'd consider the other issues in the first 2 episodes to be more social issues than anything else, but there's a very big difference between the social issue of whether or not to be supportive of a young boy not dressing as a traditional young boy and then hearing about more presidential crap. In both posts, I mentioned Trump as the negative talk and not the other social issues.

You can't watch a television show without being exposed to some issues, but you can certainly not have any interest in getting yet more exposure for the pro/anti Trump talk that you can't escape from anymore.
    You know what, that's fair. Re-reading what I said I was over-egging the pudding a bit there. Clearly I was in some sort of confrontational mood and took it out on your opinion by boiling down social commentary into political analysis. Sorry about that.

I didn't bump on it like you did but I can imagine that if I'm fed up of the Trump talk these days, it must be ten times worse for you as an American that actually has to live through the damn thing all the time.

Status

Third episode had no talk of politics, but was pretty brutal.

In the opening scene Roseanne wakes up Darlene who doesn't even pretend to be sleepy. Darlene then goes on to deliver the worst line read I've ever heard. Everyone seemed off in the episode.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Yeah, there were a few funny moments but that was a massive drop in quality all around for the third episode.

I get that continuity isn't the most essential thing in a sitcom, especially one where the previous season ended with the reveal that one of the main characters had been dead for years and everything had been a fictional account of life from another main character's perspective as they wrote the show themselves... but Roseanne and Dan NEVER hit their kids, now they're advocating that Darlene should be hitting hers? What? Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by JT Grizzle View Post
    but Roseanne and Dan NEVER hit their kids, now they're advocating that Darlene should be hitting hers? What? Nonsense.
    It is always worth remembering that it's more than twenty years after the end of Roseanne. People change and their opinions may not stay the same. It's perfectly reasonable for these characters to be different than they were on the original incarnation of the show. Admittedly, this is where the writing absolutely needs to be spot on to inform the viewers that they have changed rather than just springing it on.

The advocating of hitting is interesting just because there's that one memorable episode of Roseanne where she lost her shit and spanked DJ multiple times. They played it up as a huge deal and later Roseanne and DJ had a pretty serious talk about how Roseanne's father had been physically abusive and how she'd never do it again. I do think it's reasonable that they're not so much advocating for hitting your children as much as the world has gone so PC that their previously liberal ways are now seen as more conservative. While spanking may not be something Roseanne is supposed to be okay with, she was also not such a pushover like Darlene in letting your child be in full control.

Status

This has been cancelled after Roseanne did the typical Roseanne thing of going on a batshit and racist rant on Twitter. Amazing ABC was stupid enough to hire this woman in the first place but at least they made the sensible move here.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

MR. MON$TER IN THE BANK~!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    This has been cancelled after Roseanne did the typical Roseanne thing of going on a batshit and racist rant on Twitter. Amazing ABC was stupid enough to hire this woman in the first place but at least they made the sensible move here.
    I've read Roseanne's response, definitely unacceptable. Sorry or not, she's a sorry human being for making such racist remarks, which she has made controversial remarks in the past. She ain't getting away with this one.

Honestly, I haven't watched the show at all because I was never into the show. I hope she's happy that she pissed a lot of fans off by shooting her mouth off. She paid the price.

LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    FANTASY BASEBALL: 2014 | FANTASY BASKETBALL: 2017-18 | FANTASY FOOTBALL: 2016

Status

I don't know if I'd call canceling a show a lot of people worked hard on to revive (not just Roseanne) because Roseanne made one tweet. That said, that tweet was abhorrent and Roseanne should be ashamed of herself. What's done is done I guess.

At the very least I want to thank Roseanne for having a successful (and short-lived) revival and being partially responsible for reviving a show I care much more about: Last Man Standing.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*
    HELLO, EMMA: SCREAM MAFIA 2

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarkslayer View Post
    I don't know if I'd call canceling a show a lot of people worked hard on to revive (not just Roseanne) because Roseanne made one tweet.
    Yeah, it's a pretty big reaction. It's also a reaction that I don't think 99% of the other shows on TV could have had simply because how do you possibly punish Roseanne Barr without it affecting the show when she's the main star, she's heavily in control behind the scenes, and the show is even named after her. Had it been John Goodman who had said the comments, the show could have potentially continued with Dan's character either killed off or written out for some random reason like they've done on shows like House of Cards or Transparent.

Although I had a lot of frustrations with the first episode, I ended up having a lot of fun with this latest season of Roseanne. I'm disappointed there won't be another season after so much effort and I feel terrible for everyone who is being punished solely because of what Barr said.

Sangre por Sangre

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Damn I'm with Jim here, did I like everything I saw on Roseanne no, but I overall really enjoyed the Season and it sucks it got cancelled after the comments. I mean you don't you think ABC knew what they had going into all of this, that Roseanne could and would do something like this, she was doing these type of things way before the Show came back and they took the risk and people are paying the price for it.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

SIX F'N STARS

Status

I feel terrible for everyone who is being punished solely because of what Barr said.
    Yeah, really sucks for the people involved who didn't share her crazy. That said, I do appreciate the hard stance taken on this, hopefully it encourages people to fear accountability, both their own and the ripple effect of those around them.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

I just hope they hold every other celeb and show to this same strict treatment.

*HINT THEY WON'T!*

The banner of the right.
    It waves forever.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

*HINT THEY WON'T!*
    Don't be so sure. Jeselnik also got cancelled for a "controversial" joke, and that's his job.

I've got tickets to see him next week.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

*HINT THEY WON'T!*
    Of course they won't. I already made a post about how the extreme treatment of Roseanne is something that wouldn't necessarily happen to other shows due strictly to the importance Barr is to the show.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Of course they won't. I already made a post about how the extreme treatment of Roseanne is something that wouldn't necessarily happen to other shows due strictly to the importance Barr is to the show.
    I wasnthinking it was moreso related to her political leanings but ok.

The banner of the right.
    It waves forever.

People's Champion

Status

You mean to tell me you cant be openly racist in 2018?

Im shocked!!!!

Never cared for her or the show but it sucks for everyone else.

As for Roseanne....haha you dumb racist!!!
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Wow, color me shocked. >.>

I never understood why a Rosanne reboot appealed to anyone, and while it sucks for the production hands involved, the real villains are the ABC execs that gave a shitty Andy Kaufman act that never has an off button another platform.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

GOAT

Status

She's always been a nasty lady with a history of bigoted comments. And she always tries to hide behind the comedian card to not only excuse her actions, but remove accountability.

I was never a fan of the show or her really, but I do love John Goodman.
    Fate whispers to the warrior
    'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back,

I am the storm.

Thread Information