Thread: WWE Royal Rumble 2017 Review

Royal Rumble WWE Royal Rumble 2017 Review

Royal Rumble
    January 29, 2017

Charlotte © vs Bayley - Raw Women’s Title
    I really liked the overall story of this feud with Charlotte thinking she’s so much better than Bayley and how there isn’t anything special about the challenger, just like the WWE fans. It’s a simple story, but one that nicely sets up a big moment when Bayley is able to vanquish the over confident champion. This was a good match, but there were some awkward moments. Charlotte kept going after the leg of Bayley with Bayley hanging in there. Since the whole emphasis was on the fact that Charlotte being undefeated on PPV, it was only natural to assume that Bayley would win here, on now only a major PPV, but in front of the biggest non-Mania crowd all year long. Instead, Charlotte shoves Bayley off of the top rope onto the apron and hits Natural Selection on the apron and quickly pushes Bayley back into the ring for the victory. The fact that Bayley would just win the title on some random episode of Raw before the next Raw PPV is odd. Good enough of an opener though. ** ¾

Kevin Owens © vs Roman Reigns - No DQ Match - WWE Universal Title
    Chris Jericho is locked in a shark cage for this match. What’s the deal with shark cage matches? They hadn’t been seen in the WWE for like...over fifteen years and even with how little WWE I watch now, I’ve seen three in under a year (TakeOver, Summerslam, and Rumble). It feels like it’s 1988 all over again. Considering it’s a No DQ match, I don’t get the purpose of locking Jericho in a shark cage to prevent the interference. It’s no dq...Speaking of things I don’t understand, I don’t get why the WWE is so incessant on doing the same damn tactic of setting up some elaborate table or chair structure early on and then only doing a spot with it at the end of the match. I realize the purpose is to set it up early on so that the fans forget about it, but I don’t think I’ve ever forgotten about it! It kills so much of the drama of the match because I know the match can’t end until that structure is used. The WWE either needs to stop doing this stupid thing or they need to re-educate the fans by showing that a match can, indeed, end before the structure is used. Truthfully, this entire Attitude Era brawl didn’t do much for me. There’s plenty of big spots, for today’s WWE, but as I said, there isn’t any drama nor is there much of a story. Since Jericho is locked in a shark cage so he can’t interfere, naturally he does interfere by throwing a pair of brass knuckles down to Owens. The finish didn’t help matters either as Reigns easily has Owens beat after delivering a Superman Punch while Owens is on the top rope, causing him to fall onto the chair structure below. Then Reigns followed that up with a solo Shield power bomb through the commentator’s table. Yet, since apparently this is the only way Owens can win, there’s interference with a run-in by Braun Strowman. Braun kills Roman, putting him through a table, allowing Owens to drape an arm across Reigns to win the match. I get that Owens is a heel, but is this the only way he won title matches? With the help of outside help rather than proving that he could win on his own, whether fairly or cheating himself? Other than the matches being better, how is this any different from Jinder Mahal’s reign? Certainly not a terrible match, but it’s not a match I’m interested in in 2018. ** ¾

Rich Swann © vs Neville - WWE Cruiserweight Title
    I’m not going to pretend I’ve seen the matches, but a Neville/Swann PPV match sounds WAY more interesting than what the Cruiserweight division started off with when it came to just TJP vs Brian Kendrick. What is awful regardless of who is in the title matches is that damn ugly purple title. While this wasn’t as crazy as it could have been, this was a pretty good encounter. Neville’s new heel attitude is well done and his new vicious style, rather than relying on high risks, adds a lot to his character. As Neville controlled the majority of the match, most of the action remained on the mat. When Swann was able to, we saw glimpses of the crazy spots that they’re capable of doing. Despite being the champion, I felt as if Swann was the underdog and really needed to hit some huge moves if he stood any chance in beating Neville. He ended up failing to do that and instead found himself locked in Neville’s Rings of Saturn (Why is it called that if Perry Saturn’s Rings of Saturn didn’t involve the head?) and forced to submit to crown a NEW WWE Cruiserweight Champion. I don’t understand the name of Neville’s finisher, but it looks incredibly painful. A good match that would have been nice had it set-up some rematches to create a story. ***

AJ Styles © vs John Cena - WWE World Title
    Apparently these two had a couple of great matches, one of which was a MOTYC, in 2016. I can’t say I saw any of the matches though. In the very short list of WWE matches I watched in 2017, thus far the top match is Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate from NXT TakeOver: Chicago. This match is just as good as that one, but they’re two very different matches. Dunne/Bate was incredible because of the story told in the match and the backstory. This match was great because they said “Fuck having a story, let’s just put on one incredible moment after another”. Even though Cena isn’t the size of The Big Show or anything, I still found it crazy impressive that Style was able to have enough strength to manhandle Cena in his spots including Styles’ Torture Rack into a power bomb move that he nailed just as easily if Cena was a Cruiserweight. I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t watched much Cena in recent years or if this was deliberate for this match, but he impressed me with adding so many new moves to his repertoire. Cena would hit moves like a variation of the Big Ending, a nice looking Code Red (Which I seem to remember Cena doing before, but never that nice looking), and oddly enough, my favorite of the new moves - a running lariat. Cena has a killer looking lariat. There’s a lot of counters with Cena hanging right in there with the submission hold counters. Styles would occasionally strike at the limbs of Cena with Cena selling well for a few moments. There’s multiple times when the match could have easily ended for both men, but they always managed to kick out. The throughout all of it is just going crazy. It really felt like it was a special match. The finishing stretch is fantastic with Styles hitting a Styles Clash, but Cena would get to his feet and pull Styles off of the top rope before AJ could hit the Phenomenal Forearm, nailing Styles with a FU, but immediately rolling through and getting back to his feet to hit a second FU. That’s enough for Cena to win the match to become the NEW WWE World Champion and to “Tie” Ric Flair’s record. How in the world did the WWE Title go from THIS to Jinder f’n Mahal? One of the best Cena matches I can remember watching. **** ½

30 Man Royal Rumble Match
    It figures. Just as I was about to praise the WWE for cutting the introductions and rules short to just get to the match, #1 had to be Big Cass to allow Enzo to get in his insufferably long pre-match promo. Enzo is so fucking annoying. For the first little over third of the match, the big highlight was the utter destruction by Braun f’n Strowman. Highly entertaining and he puts on easily one of the more entertaining performances in the Rumble match. His elimination of James Ellsworth goes down in Rumble history with Taka’s faceplant in 2000 and Snitsky’s lariat of Paul London as the most painful looking eliminations ever. While it wasn’t quite as good, Mark Henry’s elimination of Jack Gallagher was also fun. The middle portion of the Rumble is when things slow down. It felt as if a lot of time was passing without eliminations. Looking it up, after Braun’s elimination, there was a total of seventeen minutes (!!!) without a single elimination. That’s something that this Rumble seemed to really favor. Let a bunch of people get in the Rumble and then have a few men go on big elimination streaks, which we saw with Braun and later Undertaker. Despite the fact that this Rumble had some huge names, with the exception of Braun, they were all saved until the very end with Brock Lesnar (#26), Goldberg (#28), The Undertaker (#29), and Roman Reigns (#30). A little more variety could have spiced things up or even just add a guy like AJ Styles to the match and have him come out early on. There’s some bizarre eliminations that I can’t figure out the purpose. Despite his memorable run, Braun is eliminated after just thirteen minutes by Baron Corbin of all people. Why Baron and not Reigns, the guy Braun was feuding with? Even though I liked seeing the interaction between Goldberg and The Undertaker, I couldn’t make sense out of Taker being the one to eliminate Goldberg without any Brock influence. Although, I did LOVE the shocking interaction between Goldberg and Brock with Lesnar being completely traunched by Goldberg yet again.

The problematic booking also influenced how little some superstars did. The iron man of the match, Chris Jericho, was in the match for a full hour and I honestly can’t tell you a single thing that he did. I seem to recall the same thing happened the previous year. While they didn’t last as long as Jericho, the likes of Sami Zayn, The Miz, and Corbin were also in the match for a very long time without doing much. There were a few more positive aspects of the booking though. I loved Kofi Kingston’s near elimination. Typically, his near eliminations don’t do much for me since they’re so choreographed, but Kofi being knocked off of the top rope and landing chest first on the ring post was an impressive feat. It may not be as elaborate as some of his past stunts, but the fact that he managed to hang on in a spot that could have badly knocked the wind out of him was an accomplishment. The very finish is both a negative and a positive. On one hand, the WWE finally figured out how to book a Rumble ending where everyone is happy - just have Reigns be eliminated last. Especially after he tossed the Undertaker out, everyone would be thrilled to not have Reigns win. The negative is that Randy Orton in 2017 is one of the most dull Rumble winners ever. With so many big names involved in the match, to end it with a past his peak Orton victorious felt very underwhelming. Considering the fact that the Smackdown main event of Wrestlemania needed some hype to try and compete with the expected Raw main event of Goldberg vs Lesnar, I understand giving Smackdown the win, but Orton winning was only the first sign that the Smackdown offering for Wrestlemania would be weak as hell. The only other stars that left a mark on me were Luke Harper for his apparent face turn against the Wyatt Family and Tye Dillinger’s not so surprising arrival in the #10 spot. I’m not sure why the WWE opted to hide the fact that the bigger size wrestlers had to be driven out to the ring. It made for an awkward scene where we’d see that a Mark Henry or The Big Show had come out, but then the camera would focus only on the ring for several moments rather than follow along Henry and Show. It wasn’t subtle. Frankly, it could have been fun watching everyone, big or small, come out on carts, which would have made the couple that would run out stand out more. Overall, I had some hopes for this Rumble and it did begin on a fun note, but like most recent Rumbles, I was left feeling as if the WWE can no longer smartly book a Rumble match. ** ¾

Overall
    Boy, did one match really throw off the curve. There's one obviously great match and Cena/Styles is currently my second favorite WWE match of 2017. It's a great spectacle with both men over performing. Sure, it's very spotty, but you only get more and more into the drama the longer it goes on. Hats off to both men, but especially Cena, for giving everyone a great reason to actually watch this show. The rest of the matches are all basically the same quality. I wouldn't argue with a single person for however they want to rank the other matches, even though I did prefer the Cruiserweight Title match the second most. The booking on the show did leave me frustrated. They held off of Bayley's big title win just to do it on a random ep of Raw? Kevin Owens continues to be booked like Jinder Mahal will be soon enough. The Royal Rumble started off very strong, but eliminations were done in groupings and they didn't take advantage of feuds enough. Speaking of Jinder, the guy thrust into the Smackdown main event scene in just a few months was not even good enough to be involved in the Rumble match? Still though, that Cena/Styles match was top notch.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Re: WWE Royal Rumble 2017 Review

Other than the matches being better, how is this any different from Jinder Mahal’s reign?

Considering the state of Owens' 2017, I don't think the match quality is that different between the two.

I agree with all your thoughts. I thought AJ vs Cena was spectacular and rewatched it for a second time a couple days ago and loved it. The Rumble was really disappointing with a crap winner. One thing I did love was how cool it was to see Goldberg and Taker in the ring together. It was so bizarre to see and I thought it was the most memorable moment of the whole match.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    England

I did not like this show. I thought it was average. Nothing good on it but nothing bad either besides Cena vs AJ. Maybe I'm exaggerating but didn't like it at all, I didn't like the SS match either but it was better then this. The Royal Rumble is unmemorable, don't remember one thing about the match. Didn't watch it live so Orton got spoiled for me so that probably caused not to like the match.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status
      Country                    United States

I gotta say Overall that rumble blew. Some fun spots, but damn the ending sucked.

I want to rewatch AJ/ Cena.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

After this match, I think you can put AJ Styles up there as one of Cena's greatest ever opponents. I'd recommend you got back and watch the 2016 matches Jim.

The Rumble sucked as soon as BRRAAAUUUUNNN was eliminated.

Sweet Meat

Status

Cruisers delivered like always

Cena/AJ is fantastic. Their chemistry is crazy.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I would argue that Corbin didn’t have anything important to do, he eliminated one of the biggest threats in the match. I’ll remember that.

This Rumble was fine up to the point of what most Rumbles suffer from these days: bad pacing. Sort of a misfire to pad the backfield with heavy hitters. I spaced out when it was a bunch of people who had absolutely no chance or added much to the field. The first thirteen or so entrants, awesome at that point. Braun kills and there were some great eliminations.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    I would argue that Corbin didn’t have anything important to do, he eliminated one of the biggest threats in the match. I’ll remember that.
    Technically, I said he didn't do "Much". Which is the whole reason why I included that word because unlike Miz, Zayn or Jericho, Corbin did do one thing that was memorable, even if it made zero sense. So booya, bitch.

Thread Information