Thread: MC 16's Puro Reviews

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Peru

MC 16's Puro Reviews

I think the title is self explanatory. I'm going to use this thread to spread my reviews on puroresu. This will be anything to New Japan Pro Wrestling, Pro Wrestling NOAH, All Japan. I noticed that not many people review puro on here so I thought it'll be different. I'm going to try to do full show reviews and a few single match reviews as well in the thread. For example, I'll watch around 5 or so matches of a singular wrestler and put them in here. I'm not as experienced at writing show reviews as Jim is so it may be a bit iffy in parts. But it'll be fine. For the first show, I'll be doing NJPW/WCW Supershow I.

NWA Starrcade In Tokyo Dome 21/03/1991

Show Facts: This show is a joint show with NWA/WCW teaming with New Japan Pro Wrestling who was the top promotion in Japan at the time. It was the first of a few more Supershows these two promotions would have. The show drew an attendance of 54,500 people.

Dark matches

Now, this show had three other matches that are available on New Japan World but since they were dark matches, I decided to skip them and go straight to the main card. But I’ll give you the finishes from reports I found including the Observer’s report. Animal Hamaguchi & Kengo Kimura & Osamu Kido & Kantaro Hoshino beat Super Strong Machine & Tatsutoshi Goto & Norio Honaga & Hiro Saito in 12:08 when there was a miscommunication finish with Machine hitting Goto by accident. Kuniaki Kobayashi & Takayuki Iizuka & Shiro Koshinaka defeated Brian Pillman & Tom Zenk & Tim Horner in 12:10 when Iizuka pinned Horner with the Dragon suplex. And, Scott Norton pinned the Equalizer in 2:23 when Norton hit the Equalizer with a botched powerslam.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match
    Jushin Thunder Liger (c) vs. AKIRA

AKIRA was wearing some head gear that look pretty cool and Liger was wearing some green attire opposed to the usual white and red suit. The match started off with some mat based wrestling with Liger doing some of his usual stuff like the surfboard and the the headstand headscissors. They head to the outside where Liger caught AKIRA, who was jumping to the outside, with a nice drop kick but he hit his knee hard on the concrete. AKIRA then started to work the leg which suggest to me that it was suppose to happen. Liger sells it very well, limping around and hints of Liger trying not to show that it was hurt which was interesting to see. AKIRA coutines to works on the leg and tries to hit a frog splash with Liger blocks with both of his feet. Then they exchange a few close pins which get the crowd into the match. Liger goes for a Tombstone Piledriver but drops AKIRA and sells the leg. Excellent from Liger. Liger hits two powerbombs for a close two count then hits a top rope DDT!!! for the win in 16:08. It was a good match with some good selling from Liger. It took a while to get into the good, fast paced stuff but the mat based wrestling was never boring and kept me interested. ***½

Tag Team Match
    Arn Anderson & Barry Windham vs. Masahiro Chono & Masa Saito

Just an observation, Barry Windham looks huge here. Just a standard tag team match to start, all men take turns with each other, they do a move, a few arm locks and tag. Arn Anderson goes to the top rope and does the flair spot and Chono throws his off to the floor and Chono hits a high cross body himself. Chono locks in the STF and Windham breaks it up to great heat from the crowd booing the heel out of him. Anderson and Windham work over Chono, separating him from Saito. Chono eventually gets the tag to Saito and he gets worked over but that doesn’t last long as Saito no sells the offence and hit’s a few belly to back suplexes. . But suddenly out of nowhere Windham hits Saito with a lariat for the win in 9:17. The finish was very sudden and out of nowhere but the match went by so fast, it felt very short despite being near 10 minutes long. Nothing special **

IWGP Tag Team Title Match
    Hiroshi Hase and Kensuke Sasaki (c) vs. The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner)

Before this match, there were rumors of tension between Hase and Rick Steiner but nothing seemed to transpire and everything went smooth in the match. The crowd was very hot for this match chanting for Hase very early on. Scott keeps taking Hase don with the legs showing of his amateur wrestling skills. Then Hase clotheslines Scott to the outside popping the crowd and Scott tags Rick, Hase then tags in Sasaki. Sasaki catches Rick Steiner with a beautiful scoop slam and a nice lariat turning Rick Steiner inside out. Scott Steiner then comes in, as does Hase and he hits a samoan driver type move of the second rope. The Steiners then take control of the match and work on Hase with suplexes. Rick hits a over head belly to belly off the top rope to massive reaction. The Steiners continue their assault on Hiroshi Hase, grounding him with body scissors but Hase then hits Scott Steiner with a belly to belly and Rick tags in and locks in a arm lock. Scott Steiner then it's a nice double underhook powerbomb to hate but the cover gets broken up by Sasaki and Hase gets the hot tag, he takes out the Steiners with dropkicks and another scoop slam. The momentum switches between the two teams for a while until Saki gets nailed with the Steiner bulldog and the frankensteiner for the win in 12:56. NEW Champions!!!! The Steiners beat Hiroshi Hase and Kensuke Sasaki in a good match. It was very stiff with some great tag team wrestling. Hase was a great babayface here, selling really well and the crowd cheering him on all match. Sasaki didn’t really get involved much but he took the pin so that makes up for it. ***¾

Singles Match
    Big Cat Hughes vs. El Gigante

Huh, I saw this on the match card and I hoped that it was a dark match so I wouldn’t have to be forced to watch it, it wasn’t. El Gigante is surprisingly or, not hugely over but over nonetheless. El Gigante did usual big man offence, a body slam, a few clubs to the back on the head but he surprisingly did a suplex which the crowd reacted too. Giant then won with The Claw in 2:11. Now, I expected much worse. El Gigante didn’t do any comical selling and he stuck to what he could do. I don’t think Hughes had ANY offence at all. *

Tag Team Match
    Big Van Vader & Crusher Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Doom (Butch Reed & Ron Simmons)

BIG MAN WRESTLING. Vader is highly over here, and he looks different with a different mask and attire. Big Van Vader dominates Butch Reed for the opening moments with splashes in the corner. Butch reed then slams Vader and tags in Ron Simmons. Bigelow wows the crowd with enziguries and drop kicks to Doom. The two teams exchanges hard strikes and clotheslines until Bigelow gets slammed on the outside by Ron Simmons. Doom dominate Bigelow for the majority of the match, slowing down the pace but the crowd is still hot chanting for Bigelow at times. Bigelow eventually gets the tag to Vader to unloads on Doom with lariats and stiff punches. Doom regain control and hit a double suplex on Vader but Simmons misses with a high cross body and gets nailed with a splash by Vader for the win in 13:17. Then “DOOM EXPLODES” they break up and start attacking each other to no heat. The match was a bit boring and dragged at times, the crowd was into Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow but it wasn’t enough to make it any good. **½

Singles Match
    Great Muta vs. Sting

Now here we go. Sting vs Great Muta, fuck yeah. Been waiting for this all show. Both men are extremely over. Muta strikes first attacking Sting and hits a handspring back elbow into the corners, he lands on his feet after a missed moonsault and hits a spinning heel kick and an enziguri to Sting and hits a high cross body to the outside. Great start from Muta. Sting catches Muta with a boot to the stomach and hits an impressive gorilla press to the outside, followed by a plancha by Sting!!!! After a quick criss cross, Sting takes Muta down with a monkey flip which Muta botches the landing. Muta regains control with rakes to the eyes and hits Sting with vicious kicks. Sting makes a few comebacks, hitting a bulldog. Sting then drops Muta onto the guard rail on the outside. Sting attempts a Scorpion deathlock but Muta gets out of it and hits a less theatrical people's elbow. Muta misses another handspring elbow attempt but Sting then misses the stinger splash in the corner as well. Muta goes for the moonsault but Sting gets the knees up. Sting attempts at gorilla press but Muta reverses and drops down on Sting. Muta goes to the top rope but Sting catches him and hits a belly to back suplex of the top rope to a good pop. Sting follows the formula in the match of going for a big move but misses. Sting almost pins Muta with a backslide and muta almost catches Sting with a school boy. Sting goes for a Stinger Splash in the corner but GREEN MIST from Muta and Muta then hits a springboard crossbody for the win in 11:41. Sting then attacks The Great Muta after the match and locks in the Scorpion Deathlock.

This match was really, really good. Excellent reversals, very fast paced match up. Muta was just before his prime but he is still great here, as is Sting. ***¾

Greatest 18 Club Title No Disqualification No Referee No Count Out Match
    Riki Choshu vs. Tiger Jeet Singh

Oh god. No, not now. Please not this match.I watched this match and I did write a review for it but the draft didn't save and I made a decision not to rewatch the match. It's terrible. It's just Riki Chosu bleeding and Tiger Jeet Singh choking him for 11 minutes. Nothing of note happens in the match. I barely written anything other then another choke, in fact this paragraph is already bigger then the review for it. It's awful. -*

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match/ IWGP Heavyweight Title
    Ric Flair (c) vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (c)

Okay, it’s title for title Flair is the NWA Champion and Fujinami is the IWGP Heavyweight Champion. The crowd is hot for this and so am I. This is a dream match, the top guy for New Japan, the top guy for NWA, wow. And Fonzie is the ref, the whilst guy from ECW. They lockup to start off with, Fujinami locks in a dragon sleeper but Flair gets to the rope quickly. Flair gets a few chops but he gets hip tossed and drop kicked out the ring by Fujinami. Fujinami grounds Flair with headlocks but Flair breaks out of it but then gets a backdrop for him troubles. Flair takes control with a belly to back suplex and moves out the way of a jumping clothesline. The two fire of strikes and Fujinami misses a drop kick and Flair drapes his leg on the ropes and jumps on it. Flair continues to work on the leg for a bit and the crowd began to react more negatively towards him. Fujinami locks in the Sharpshooter in the middle of the ring but he then translations into a modified cross legged STF. .

Flair goes to the top rope but before Fujinami can throw him down, Flair grabs Fujinami’s head and goes to the outside. Flair does his usual offence with knees to the head but he does pull off a nice double underhook suplex to an applause. Fujinami fires back with some open hand chops to Flair but gets cut off by Flair who then goes to the top rope and Fujinami catches him. Fujinami sends Flair to the outside and Flair does the Flair bump to the outside.They come back in and do the ten punch spot. FLAIR BLEEDS. And a Flair flop to some groans from the crowd. An enziguri by Fujinami. The two exchange nasty chops with their chests starting to turn raw. Fujinami reverses a suplex with a roll up for a near two.

There is a ref bump which the crowd pops to. There are a few pin falls which aren't counted and then Fujinami rolls up Flair AGAIN but this time Tiger Hattori runs in and counts to THREE!!!!! Tatsumi Fujinami wins and becomes the new NWA Heavyweight Champion in 23:20. The match is fine, a bit too long but it was good. It had its usual Flair moments but they never really flowed as well as they normally do. ***¼

Now, I know what you are think, Flair didn’t lose the title here.Well, they reversed the finish the next day. I think it had something to do with Flair going over the top rope which would be illegal in the NWA around this time. That is a staple of Flair's title reigns, he would lose them but it wouldn't count.

My thoughts on the show.
    The show was pretty good overall, had some really good matches with Jushin Thunder Liger vs. AKIRA, Steiners vs Hase/Sasaki and Muta vs Sting more then making up for any bad matches. The main event was good, I expected a bit more but I'm more then fine with the match quality. It was a pretty good show, recommend the show. My only regret is Shiyna Hashimoto was not on this show Don't know why. Would've liked to see him on the show but the show was good without him.

Like I said, this is a first attempt so it's probably bit raw.
    Spoiler:

Re: MC 16's Puro Reviews

One of my earliest WCW reviews was for this show. Since this was way back in early 2009, the copy I watched was the WCW PPV version (Rumble in the Rising Star). That meant some of the undercard matches were clipped (Liger vs Akira was clipped to just 4 min), some matches were out of order, and the matches they chose to show on the PPV were mostly all involving WCW talent, which meant Riki Choshu vs Tiger Jeet Singh wasn't on my copy, but the six man tag with Pillman was.

The Steiner Brothers tag match was an easy WCW MOTYC for me. Nothing else really stood out from the show. I was never too keen on the Sting/Muta match, even when I saw it again a year later on the WWE's Wrestling's Highest Flyers DVD, I still wasn't impressed.

The main event wasn't for the IWGP Title. In fact, it's a bit of a weird thing. On paper, it was for the WCW World Title since that's what Flair's title was known as at the time. Yet, when Flair lost the match, WCW decided that it would be reversed and that he'd remain the WCW World Champion. Yet, the NWA, who still considered Flair its World Champion, allowed for the title change. Technically speaking, Flair went into that match as a double champion, but like...no one realized it. Due to that finish, a rematch was made for the next WCW PPV, Superbrawl I, where Fuji's NWA Title and Flair's WCW Title were both on the line. Flair would win that match to regain the NWA Title and once again quietly become a World Champion again. This whole fiasco would be a little foreshadowing for Flair, still champion, leaving WCW in a few months with WCW quickly stripping him of the WCW World Championship (With a new champion being crowned in the Lex Luger/Barry Windham Great American Bash 1991 match), but the NWA dragging their feet and only then crowning a new champion with the finals of the NJPW G1 Climax (Chono vs Rude) in 1992 being a title tournament.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    One of my earliest WCW reviews was for this show. Since this was way back in early 2009, the copy I watched was the WCW PPV version (Rumble in the Rising Star). That meant some of the undercard matches were clipped (Liger vs Akira was clipped to just 4 min), some matches were out of order, and the matches they chose to show on the PPV were mostly all involving WCW talent, which meant Riki Choshu vs Tiger Jeet Singh wasn't on my copy, but the six man tag with Pillman was.

The Steiner Brothers tag match was an easy WCW MOTYC for me. Nothing else really stood out from the show. I was never too keen on the Sting/Muta match, even when I saw it again a year later on the WWE's Wrestling's Highest Flyers DVD, I still wasn't impressed.

The main event wasn't for the IWGP Title. In fact, it's a bit of a weird thing. On paper, it was for the WCW World Title since that's what Flair's title was known as at the time. Yet, when Flair lost the match, WCW decided that it would be reversed and that he'd remain the WCW World Champion. Yet, the NWA, who still considered Flair its World Champion, allowed for the title change. Technically speaking, Flair went into that match as a double champion, but like...no one realized it. Due to that finish, a rematch was made for the next WCW PPV, Superbrawl I, where Fuji's NWA Title and Flair's WCW Title were both on the line. Flair would win that match to regain the NWA Title and once again quietly become a World Champion again. This whole fiasco would be a little foreshadowing for Flair, still champion, leaving WCW in a few months with WCW quickly stripping him of the WCW World Championship (With a new champion being crowned in the Lex Luger/Barry Windham Great American Bash 1991 match), but the NWA dragging their feet and only then crowning a new champion with the finals of the NJPW G1 Climax (Chono vs Rude) in 1992 being a title tournament.
    Thanks for the extra info, the 90's was a real confusing time for the NWA. You missed the Tiger Jeet Singh match? Lucky you. The match rules were confusing and like I said, research didn't help. The Steiner vs Hase and Sasaki natch was MOTN for sure.
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Kenta Kobashi vs Mitsuharu Misawa

- Just a small notice-

As well as reviewing big events, I thought it'll be pretty cool to look back at some of the legendary feud and rivalry in puro and I think I found the perfect rivalry to start off with. I'm going to review, Kenta Kobashi vs Mitsuharu Misawa. A legendary feud spanning over a decade. So many singles and tag matches involving these two men. I'd thought I'd review all 16 one on one matches these two have had with each other and see how much they grew as a performer in every match. I'm planning on making this a four part series with each part having 4 matches. Starting from their first match in 1990, where Tiger Mask II took on Kenta Kobashi for the first time. In case you don't know, Mitsuharu Misawa was the second Tiger Mask. His Satoru Sayama predecessor left New Japan and the gimmick in mid in 80's and All Japan brought the rights to the gimmick and Misawa took the mask. Anyway, he is Tiger Mask when he first took on Kenta Kobashi but he wouldn't last much longer after this.

PART ONE:

Match One: Tiger Mask II vs Kenta Kobashi- AJPW Excite Series 1990 Day 10 (06/03/90)

Here we go, the first ever match between Kenta Kobashi and Mitsuharu Misawa (who is under the Tiger Mask II Gimmick). Let’s see what it’s like.

They circle each other to start if with and Kobashi takes Tiger Mask down with a arm drag, then a drop kick and another arm drag into an arm lock. Kobashi hits a running shoulder tackle but Tiger Mask reverse an armdrag and hits a monkey flip but Kobashi blocks the landing with his feet. Tiger Mask starts working on the neck of Kobashi with a headlock and hits a (botched) neckbreaker. Tiger Mask hits a snapmare and puts Kobashi in a chinlock.

Tiger Mask counts wearing down Kobashi with a grounded headscissors until Kobashi gets to the ropes. Kobashi then hits a knee breaker and twists the the ankle.Kobashi then locks in the single leg boston crab then a bow and arrow. Tiger Mask gets out of it and attempts a suplex but Kobashi reserves and hits a spinning heel kick. Tiger Mask goes flying to the outside and Kobashi goes to the top rope and jumps on Tiger Mask!!!!! Back in the ring, Kobashi continues working on the left leg, locking in a texas cloverleaf. Rope Break.Tiger Mask gets to his feet and limps around but Koashi put him in the single leg boston crab, rope break.

Kobashi drags Tiger Mask in the middle of the ring and attempts a figure four but Tiger Mask blocks it by using his hand to block Kobashi’s leg. Eventually Kobashi gets it locks in and they get to the ropes. Drop Kick by Tiger Mask and a plancha by Tiger Mask!!!!! Kobashi reverse a suplex into the ring and hits a belly to back suplex. The crowd start to come alive. Kobashi hits a powerslam and hits a moonsault for a near two!!! They reveres german attempts but Kobashi gets a roll up for a near two. Tiger Mask reverse an O’connor roll and hits a bridging german suplex for a near two.

The crowd chants for Kobashi. Kobashi reverses double underhook with a northern light suplex. And hits a running tackle. Kobashi attempts a missile dropkick from the top but Tiger Mask hits a dropkick as well. Tiger Mask hits a Tiger Driver for the three!!!!

This is a good match with some good moments, especially the last 5 minutes of the match. The crowd was more behind Kobashi throughout the match. Tiger Mask’s selling of the leg was pretty good for half the match but by the end, Tiger Mask wasn’t selling the leg. They had nice use of rope breaks in the match, maybe too many in a short period of time though. It’s nothing like the classics they’ll soon have but it was a very good way to kick of the rivalry. ***½

Match Two: Kenta Kobashi vs Mitsuharu Misawa- AJPW Champion Carnival 1991 Day 11 (05/04/91)

Handshake the start off with. They start big with quick shoulder tackles dropkicks and headlock takeovers. Kobashi reverse a back body drop with a double arm DDT followed by a splash to the outside onto Misawa. Back in the ring, Kobashi locks in an armlock with Misawa reverses into one of his own and Koashi gets out of it then they stand off each other. Misawa gets Koashi in an arm hold on the ground and wrenches it and continually drops his knees on the shoulder. Fujiwara armbar by Misawa but Kobashi gets to the ropes. Misawa leathers Kobashi with uppercuts but Kobashi reverses a running clothesline with a scoop slam.

Kobashi locks Misawa in a headlock, wearing him down to the mat. Misawa attempts to get out of it with a knee breaker but Kobashi keeps the headlock. Another kneebreaker but again, Kobashi keeps on the headlock and the crowd pops at that. Misawa gets out of it with elbows but Kobashi fires back with slaps and running bulldog but misses a knee drop and Misawa hits a sidewalk slam and a running shoulder tackle for a near two. Misawa hits Kobashi with jumping kicks and a gutwrench suplex. Spinning heel kick to Kobashi sending him outside but Misawa misses the plancha and Kobashi hits a dropkick to Misawa on the outside.

Kobashi misses and enziguri and Misawa his a bridging german suplex. He sends to the top rope but Kobashi hits a superplex for a close two. A bodyslam and a moonsault from Kobashi!!!! But Misawa gets his leg on the ropes. Dragon suplex by Kobashi for a two. Misawa gets out of a double under hook and attempts to hit the tiger driver but Kobashi reverses into the backside for a two count.

Kobashi catches the leg of Misawa when he attempts a spinning heel kick but gets caught with Misawa’s other leg. Misawa with the Tiger Driver!!! BUT KOBASHI KICKS OUT!! The crowd are stunned at this. Elbow strikes and a Tiger Driver 91 by Misawa, finally puts Kobashi away!!! This is a very good match with some great storytelling. Kobashi keeps trying to wear down Misawa, who he knows is better than him, then keeps trying to hit big moves to win but it's not enough. Misawa held on and eventually comes back with his elbow shots and the Tiger Driver but it wasn’t enough to beat Kobashi and he has to hit another Tiger Driver just to beat Kobashi. Very good match between the two. ***½

Match Three: Kenta Kobashi vs Mitsuharu Misawa- AJPW Champion Carnival 1993 Day 15 (12/04/93)

I could only find a version where it joins in progress unfortunately.

Misawa hits Kobashi with a high cross body and tries to lock in an armlock but Kobashi get to the ropes. Misawa attempts a Tiger Driver but Kobashi gets out it but Misawa locks in a modified version of the stretch plum using his legs to hold back Kobashi’s arms.The crowd chants for Kobashi. Misawa heads to the top but Kobashi nails Misawa with both arms mid air and hits a running clothesline for a two count.

Kobashi then hits three consecutive leg drops to the back of Misawa’s head for a close two. Koashi tires to lock in a sleeper hold but miswada keeps reversing it. Kobashi gets sent into the corner and Misawa follows up but Kobashi catches him with a sleeper hold. Kobashi hits a highcross body and hits a powerbomb for a two. A powerslam and a moonsault from Kobashi gets a close two count and the crowd react strongly to this. He goes for another moonsault but Misawa holds the leg. Kobashi then goes to the top rope and attempts a flying shoulder block but elbow from Misawa and a Tiger Driver from Misawa. He goes for the pin and only gets two!! He goes for it a again but Kobashi blocks and hits a scoop slam.

Kobashi hits three belly to back duplex for another two. The crowd go crazy and the camera shacks. Misawa fires back with a few spinning heel kicks and a splash from the top rope. Misawa hits a tiger driver but again, Kobashi kicks out. Kobashi tires to fight back with chops but he keeps dropping to the floor due to exhaustion. Misawa fires back his rapid elbows to the skull and goes for a Tiger Driver but Kobashi gets out of it and Misawa quick hits a dragon suplex for the three count!!!!!

Since it joined in progress, I can’t say if it was so much better at full length or worse but the final 10 minutes that got showed was really good. Misawa trying to wear down Kobashi but Kobashi has a little come back, almost beating Misawa with the moonsault but getting caught by the craft Misawa when he tried to hit too many moves of the top rope like the shoulder tackle. This match kept with the tone that Kobashi was getting harder and harder for Misawa to beat but that also came with multiple false finishes. When used too often, I dislike them and the match was bordering the the line for me. ***½ It was a great match despite being cut to 11 minutes.

Match Four: Kenta Kobashi vs Mitsuharu Misawa- AJPW Champion Carnival 1995 Day 6 (26/03/95)

Here we are two years later after their last one on one match. They start off the match staring at each other in the middle of the ring. They lock up and Kobashi gets Misawa onto the ropes and give him a clean break. They repeat the spot but Kobashi chops Misawa this time and knocks Misawa down with a running tackle and pins him for a two count and Misawa goes to the outside. He heads inside where Kobashi grabs Misawa’s arm and wrenches the arm. Misawa heads to the ropes in hopes for a clean break which he does but Kobashi then grabs Misawa and they go back to the ropes where Kobashi fires off with rapid chops on the neck.

Kobashi hits a running shoulder tackle and starts attacking Misawa’s neck. Grounding him with headlocks and kicks to the upper body area. Kobashi hits a knife edge chop in the corner and hits a delayed vertical suplex for a close two count. Kobashi chops away at Misawa in the corner but Misawa hits a monkey flip and hits Kobashi with a few elbows and locks in a modified seated double chickenwing on Kobashi. Kobashi tires to fight out of it and gets to his feet and reverses the ld. Misawa hits a dropkick and perform a rolling senton over the top rope.

Misawa hits a flying clothesline inside the ring and Kobashi fire back with a back kick into Misawa’s body. Kobashi then attempts a power bomb but Misawa reverse with a back body drop. They exchange chop and forearm battles until Misawa hits Kobashi with an enziguri. Kobashi fires back with a rolling forearm knocking Misawa down. The crowd starts chanting for Misawa.

Rapid chops by Kobashi into the corner but rapid elbows and a rolling elbow from Misawa knocks Kobashi to the floor. The crowd chants for Kobashi now. Kobashi hits a kick and a lariat to Misawa followed up by a stiff lariat for a close two count. Kobashi hits a belly to back suplex for a two and Kobashi tries for another but Misawa gets out of it, but Kobashi then hits a bridging german suplex for a two count. Kobashi goes for lariat but Misaw reverse it and attempts a tiger driver which is also revered. Misawa then locks in a sleeper hold, trapping the arm of Kobasi. Misawa then hits elbows while in the hold. Misawa goes for a pin which Kobashi kicks out at two. Misawa locks in the sleeper again btu Kobashi gets to the ropes. Misaw goes for a tiger driver but Kobashi gets out of hit and hits a over head german suplex!!!

Powerbomb by Kobashi for a near two count. A bodyslam and a leg drop followed by a moonsault by Kobashi gets a very close two count. He goes for another one but Misawa grabs the leg and Kobashi kicks him away. Kobashi counties his attack with a chop and a suplex . Misawa gets out of vertical suplex and hits an elbow. They both go to the floor in exhaustion. They have a chop/elbow battle and Misawa hits a dragon suplex for a two count. Misawa hits a frog splash but again a two count. Misawa hits a tiger driver for a two count!!!! Misawa looks shocked. Misawa then hits a discus elbow and then he hits a bridging german suplex!!! One, two and three. The crowd goes crazy.

This match was much better than the previous matches. It follows a similar story to the other 3 matches but what I am noticing is that Kobashi is getting more and more offence with every match. Kobashi once again was in firm control and looked close to finally beating Misawa but he again failed to get that second moonsault. It’s a great continuation of their previous matches. ****

The Best Match of Part One:

Now part one of the feud is over, I say it’s been a good start. They have established that Misawa is the better of the two but they have made Kobashi looks good as well. With every match, Kobashi is gaining more and more ground on Misawa despite losing all four matches. The best match of part one was the 26/03/95 match (the last one) but I would recommend the other three as well. You can find all these matches on the All Japan Archive and a few on youtube.
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Destiny 2005 Review

Pro Wrestling Noah: Destiny 18/07/05

Show Facts:

The show drew an attendance of 52,000 in the Tokyo Dome.

Masashi Aoyagi, SUWA & Takashi Sugiura vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima, Mitsuo Momota & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi

Katsuhiko Nakajima was only 17 at this time and he is making his Noah debut which is very shocking. Nakajima has been around for ever and based of his match, he has been very good for a long time. The match is a pretty good oponer. Very faced paced. Nakajima being the the rookie in this match, took most of the damage and made Sugiura, SUWA and Aoyagi look great. The match ended when SUWA hit Nakajima with a facebuster planter in 9:32. Good start to the show. **¾

Mohammed Yone & Takeshi Morishima vs. Go Shiozaki & Tamon Honda

This was a good tag match. Morishima showing his brutal strength throughout the match, stiffing poor Shiozaki. Honda didn’t really do much though, it looks like he was only in the match to have the other three on the show. Yone was fine, he is a usually good to watch when in tag matches and he never dragged the match down. Shiozaki was really good. He sold really well but I doubt he had a choice in the selling. He showed great babyface fire, have some great spurts of offence and was involved in the best parts of the match. The match ended after a Muscle Buster by Yone on Shiozaki in 8:26. ***¼

Akira Taue, Haruka Eigen, Jun Izumida & Takuma Sano vs. Dark Agents (Akitoshi Saito, Kishin Kawabata & Masao Inoue) & Shiro Koshinaka

This is the veterans match of the show, but surprisingly they move pretty spiritedly to start off. Then Taue and Koshinaka leave the ring where the action gets a bit slow, just wrestlers tagging in, chops, punches and then tags out. Standard stuff. The crowd seems pretty into the match but there isn’t much going on. Taue comes in and the match tarts to get more interesting, bumping very well and quicken up the pace despite being the biggest of them all. Sano and Koshinaka come in and have exchange drop kicks and kicks and chops. They action quickly gets more interesting with everyone coming in and starts to beat each other up but suddnetly Inoue rolls up Izumida for the three count in 11:56. The match ends a bit abruptly as soon as it was starting to get good which was a shame. The match was very boring with the best parts being the opening two minutes with Akira Taue and Shiro Koshinaka starting off the match. **

Black Mask ( Aka Ricky Marvin) vs. Mushiking Terry

The next match I think is a special match, similar to last year’s Tiger Mask W vs Red Death Mask match. They have a pretty quick start exchanging forearms,arm drags and headscissors. Mushiking Terry hits a plancha on Black Mask on the outside from the top rope. Black Mask evades a drop kicks and hits an elbow and then hits a springboard flip senton for a two count. He looks in a nice looking octopus stretch which he transitions into a modified Koji Clutch. Then Terry gains back control with some nice looking headscissors and heel kicks.

Terry gets a near two count with a frankensteiner but soon gets trapped in a cross face by Black Mask. They head to the top rope where Black mask hits a neck break off the top rope and a headbutt for a near two. He get another near to with a snap front oildriver. Terry fights back with a rollup for a two and hits a drop kick regaining control. After a near fall, Mushiking Terry hits a bridging german suplex for the three count in 7:59. This was a very quick match that had many counters and quick transitions that reminded me of lucha. As far as a special gimmick match, it was very fun to watch. There wasn’t much selling but for a 10 minute match, I don’t mind as much. ***¼

GHC Junior Heavyweight Title Match: KENTA vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru (c)

Here we go, KENTA vs Kanemaru. This is the match that I wanted to watch the most of this card. I think it’s the only “big match” from the show that I have yet to watch so, I’m excited for this. They square off face to face to start before going to separate corners for the introductions. They begin the match with forearms and kicks. Before get the round of applause from the crowd. They transition to some mat based wrestling with Kanemaru attacking the legs of KENTA. KENTA fights his way out and starts to attack Kanemaru’s arm before taking him to the outside.

KENA throws Kanemaru into the ring post, arm first before going back in the ring. KENTA goes to irish whip Kanemaru but Kanemaru favours the arm which prevents him from running. After short comeback from Kanemaru, KENTA locks in a fujiwara armbar. Some nice work on the arm from KENTA which Kanemaru is selling fairly well. KENTA attempts a superplex from the top rope but Kanemaru counts into a DDT and sells landing on his arm afterwards. KENTA is stunned after Kanemaru hits another DDT on the outside.

Kanemaru tries to ground KENTA with a headscissors but KENTA gets to the ropes. Kanemaru continues to ground KENTA with a camel clutch but gets back body dropped by KENTA. KENTA hits a springboard dropkick and nails some stuff kicks to Kanemaur’s chest before knocking him down with a big boot. Kanemaru counters a dropkick with a powerbomb before hitting a splash of the top rope. Kanemaru gets a close two count with a DDT but misses a moonsault. KENTA goes for a GTS but it gets counter but he soon hits a tiger suplex. Kanemaru hits a basement dropkick and a suplex but KENTA no sells and his the Busaiku Knee and they both sell. The crowd goes crazy at this.

Forearm strikes from KENTA but a suplex attempt gets reversed by Kanemaru for a close two count. Moonsault for a near two and another suplex, again for a near two. KETNA reverse a superplex from the top rope into a suplex of his own. Sitout powerbomb from KENTA gets a two count. Kanemaru almost gets the win with a O’Connor roll but KENTA answers with three busaiku knees which only get a two. KENTA hits the Go to sleep but only gets a two!!!!! Kicks and a nasty busaiku finally puts Kanemaru away for the three count in 20:31.

Fantastic match. The opening part with KENTA targeting the arm was really well done and Kanemaru sold it well. Kanemaru hit a few big moves on KENTA early on which get the crowd really into the match. They have a great back and forth match where they just beat the hell out of each other with vicious kicks and strikes. Excellent match. ****¼

GHC Tag Team Title Match: Minoru Suzuki & Naomichi Marufuji (c) vs. Jun Akiyama & Makoto Hashi

My copy of the show skips some of the opening parts of the match and cut to Makoto Hashi hitting a diving headbutt to Marufuji on the outside. Then Jun Akiyama and Minoru Suzuki tag in. They tease each other before locking up in the ropes which is quickly broken. They repeat the spot but Suzuki slaps Akiyama, who doesn’t take kindly to that and attempts to do the same but the ref intervenes. Suzuki tags in Marufuji and they do some ltag work in the corner. Akiyama no sells some chops by Marufuji but gets stunned by his forearms but fires back with a big boot before tagging in Hashi who gets a good reaction from the crowd.

Hashi works over Marufuji in the corner but Marufuji hits a kick and a sunset flip on the outside with the help of Suzuki, hitting the back of his head. Thye take Akiyama onto the ramp who tries to fight them off but gets nailed with a ddt from Suzuki. They takes turns beating on Hashi, who is now on his own. Hashi tries to fight back but Suzuki is too much for him and is cut off. Suzuki and Marufuji take turns kicking Hashi while he is hung up in the ropes. After a while, Hashi hits a brainbuster and gets the tag. Akiyama comes in and knocks Suzuki off the apron but Marufuji takes him down with some drop kicks. Suzuki tags in and they have a slap battle. Exploder suplex blocked and another slap battle ensures.

Hashi gets in the tag and hits some mongolian chops but Suzuki fires backs with punches to the gut and kicks to the chest. And Suzuki locks in an octopus stretch. Akiyama breaks it up and Hashi gets the tag after an enziguri to Suzuki. Akiyama hits a powerbomb to Marufuji, who comes in, and locks in a front face lock. Marufuji goes for a Shiranu but Akiyama counters and hits a knee and tags in Makoto Hashi. Hashi hits a diving headbutt on Marufuji for a two count and then a spinning heel kick in the corner. Lariat by Hashi and a modified face buster for a two count. Marufuji lands on his feet after a back body drop and hits the Shiranu on Hashi.

They head to the top rope but Akiyama comes from behind and hits a belly to back suplex, followed by a diving headbutt by Hashi. Suzuki breaks it up and Marufuji hits a Shiranu on Akiyama. Suzuki and Marufuji double team on Hashi with strikes and hits a gotch piledriver and a dropkick but Akiyama just breaks it up. Marufuji then hits a top rope Shiranu on Hashi for the win in 24:55.

Really good tag match. There was some very good tag psychology with Suzuki and Marufuji double teaming Hashi, separating him from Akiyama and it worked. Akiyama tired his best but the tag champions stuck to their plan and isolated the weaker Hashi. Beating Hashi to a bloody pulp. Hashi had a great babyface performance in this match, selling really well and being a great face in peril. There was a lull in the match at the beginning where Suzuki and Marufuji weren’t doing much to Hashi but the rest of the match was great. The sections with Jun Akiyama and Minoru Suzuki were fantastic to watch and made me want to watch a match between the two. Great tag team match. ****

GHC Heavyweight Title Match: Takeshi Rikio (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Tanahashi starts of by wrenching the arm of Rikio but gets overpowered by the big champion. Rikio grounds Tanahashi and attempts to wear him down using a headlock but Tanahashi reverses it into his own. Tanahashi rolls Rikio up for a small package but gets a clothesline as recept. Tanahashi fires back with a flying forearm, knocking Rikio to the mat. He locks in a headlock but Rikio hit a belly to back suplex and locks in a dragon sleeper in the middle of the ring. Tanahashi gets to the ropes but gets caught with a running clothesline in the corner.

Takeshi Rikio heads to the top rope and hits a high cross body!!! Followed by a delayed vertical suplex. Rikio goes to hit a belly to back suplex off the top rope but Tanahashi counters with a moonsault and then a suicide dive to the outside. Then another. Then another. Tanahashi then hits a missile dropkick from the turnbuckle and hits three german suplex, which on someone as big as Rikio, are very impressive. Back to the rear naked choke but Tanahashi transitions into an arm trapped modified dragon sleeper.

They get out of it and Rikio goes to hit a running powerslam but Tanahashi hits high fly flow instead. He goes for another one but gets nailed with a stiff lariat by Rikio. They have a slap battle which Rikio wins, slapping Tanahashi to his knees and hits a standing powerbomb. Rikio then pounds on Tanahashi in the corner and hits another lariat. Then Rikio hit Muso for the win in 17:11. Welp

The match was fine. It was a bit heatless though. Tanahashi looked good but something was off with the match. The ending was very flat and the beginning part had too many headlocks/restholds. ***

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Yoshinari Ogawa

They start off with Tenryu chopping the hell out of Ogawa. Then Ogawa grabs the wrist and puts on a wrist lock. And hits two basement drop kicks onto Tenryu and works on his leg, dragging him to the corner and locking in a figure four on the post. In the ring, Ogawa ties Tenryu’s legs in the corner but he firs back with chops. Ogawa fires back with a kick to the leg and a ddt.They both take turns doing an inverted surfboard. Tenryu gives up and start kickin Ogawa in the head and locks in the inverted surfboard again.

Ogawa sends Tentru to the outside using a headscissors and goes to use a table but Tenru counters and sends Ogawa head first into the table. Stiff boots to the head by Tenryu and a nasty looking clothesline gets a two count. Enziguri by Ogawa then a belly to back suplex. Afterwards Ogawa hits the same boots to the head of Tenryu which causes the crowd to react strongly. Both exchange slaps but Tenryu wins after two stuff lariats to Ogawa. Vertical brainbuster gets the two for Tenryu. Another lariat by Tenryu puts down Ogawa for the three count in 10:27.

Another abrupt ending which is a shame. The match was good I thought. Classic veteran vs new guard match. ***

Kensuke Sasaki vs. Kenta Kobashi

Going to start this off by saying this is my favourite match of ALL TIME. No match comes close this in terms of my liking it. Not Kawada vs Misawa, Kobashi vs Misawa or any of the Okada/Omega match (Haha just kidding with that), this match is the peak for me. Let’s get to it.

Grand Sword!!!!!! Epic Theme. Right off the bat, this match has big match feel. The moment the package came on, you knew this was going to be huge. They circle the ring with chants of Kobashi from the crowd. Belly to back suplex from the off by Sasaki. CHOP, CHOP, CHOP, CHOP, CHOP. Belly to back suplex. Lariat!!!!!!! Awesome start.

Kobashi goads Sasaki and they both square off again. Test of strength by both men. Sasak takes Kobashi overhead and they stand off each other. Kobashi with a chop on the ropes and hanging chop to Sasaki knocking him to the floor. Kobashi with a dropping chop on the apron and a springboard plancha onto Sasaki. CHOP. Kobashi locks in a front facelock but Sasaki takes him to the corner and hits a frankensteiner from the top rope.

Diving Clothesline by Sasaki and Kobashi heads to the outside. Sasaki heads to the top again and his a crossbody onto the floor!!!! Sasaki hits a chop followed by a running bulldogs. Sasaki hits a kick to the gut but Kobashi is having none of it. Thye have a never ending chop battle which lights up their chest. Rapid chops in the corner by Kobashi, Sasaki fires back with chop of his own. You know what happens? More chops and it’s awesome to watch. Kobashi finally ends the battle with a running chop sending them both down. The crowd goes absolutely mental at this.

Scoop slam by Sasak who now has horrible welts on his chest. Kobashi hits off Sasaka, who is on the top rope and hits a brainbuster, Sasaki no sells it and Kobashi hits a half nelson suplex!!!!!! Another Half Nelson by Kobashi. Sasaki and Koabshi both goes suplexes on the outside but both attempts are blocked. Kobashi hits Sasaki with a chop in the neck, sending him down. Sasuke then hits a northern lights bomb on the outside to Kobashi!!! Kobashi only just beats the 20 count.

Sasaki with a tiger suplex gets a close two count. Sasaki hits a stiff running lariat for another close two. Kobashi chants from the crowd. Kobashi then reverses powerbomb and hits a lariat of his own. Sasaki then hits a judo throw and locks on his power special submission but Kobashi gets to the ropes. Spinning back chop by Kobashi, brainbuster, NO SELL by Sasaki, northern lights, NO SELL by Kobashi. They run into each other and collapses.

Lariat by Kobashi gets the two. Moonsault by Kobashi only gets the two as well. Sasak attempts a lariat but Kobashi blocks and hits three spinning back chops and BURNING LARIAT!!!!!!!! This gets the three count in 23:38.

Wow. What a classic. Two brutes just going balls to the walls. A three minute chop battle which made up the famous number of over 180 chops by both men. You would think it would get boring but it never did, it got better and better. The work afterwards were absolutely amazing. The crowd was rabid for everything and Kobashi and Sasaki had them in the palm of their hands. Nothing has ever topped this match for me and I can’t see anything that will. *****

(Here is the chop battle if you want to see it)

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada

They lock up to start, feeling each other out. Misawa teases his elbow which Kawada flinches at. Kawada fires of a chop,Misawa with an elbow and repeat. Running boot by Kawada, followed by a running elbow by Misawa, spinning heel kick knocks Misawa down. Kawada locks in a single leg boston crab and stomps on Misawa’s head whilst doing so. He transitions into a cross legged bow and arrow. Kicks by Kawada but Misawa fires back with a running elbow and a tiger driver early on which gets a two count. Frog Splash by Misawa gets a two as well.

Slaps and knees by Kawada knocks Misawa to the outside of the ring. Kawada removes the matt and goes for a piledriver on the concrete. Kawada kicks to misawa who hits his elbows and hits another tiger driver, this time on the concrete floor!!! They go back in the ring where Misawa attempts a tiger suplex but Kawada gets to the ropes but gets caught with a rear naked choke. Irish whip by Misawa but Kawada collapses in exhaustion but then hits a running boot then a high kick to Misawa. Big boot into the corner followed by Kawada beating Misawa down with knees and kicks to a downed Misawa.

Kawada followers him out to the apron where Misawa goes for a tiger driver but Kawada grabs the ropes quick forcing a break. Misawa goes for his trademarked running elbow of the apron but Kawada nails Misawa with one of his own.They head up the ramp where Kawada hits a humping high kick on Misawa before hitting a powerbomb on the ramp!!!

They go back to the ring where Kawada hits some kicks. Kawada goes for another powerbomb but it’s block and he and Misawa exchange forearms. Stretch plumb by Kawada. German suplex but Misawa no sells, again a german suplex by Kawada which Misawa no sells again and attempts his own but Kawada hits a jumping high kick again. Another high kick by Kawada gets a close two count.

Suplex from Kawada, powerbomb from Kawada. Kawada goes for a PK but misses, so he goes for a powerbomb which Misawa takes a disturbing bump on his neck. His head land sideways. Kawada goes for another one but Misawa reverses it into a frankensteiner. Misawa hits a running elbow and then a rolling elbow knocking Kawada down who tries to fight back. Emerald Flowsion by Misawa only gets a two count.

Both men are very tired at this point. Misawa goes for a tiger driver but Kawada block. Tiger Suplex by Misawa, followed by a tiger driver gets two again.The two exchange elbows but Misawa wins and knocks him down and gets a two. Kawada gets up and they have a kick/elbow combo which ends with hard elbow by Misawa to Kawada, getting a two count. Misawa elbows Kawada over 10 times before Kawada finally collapses and is pinned for the three count.

Very good match. It didn’t reach the height of their previous matches and I didn’t expect it two. But to get this match in the shape they were in was very impressive. You can tell Misawa was done at this point as he was tired in the opening five minutes, Kawada looked great and was easily the star of the match for me. Whilst the flair and excitement was their, the story they told was fantastic with them constantly counting each other and blocking each others moves. Going all out to beat each other. Good main event. ***¾

My thoughts on the show

This was a show that went over 4 hours long and it flew by. The only match you could feel the length of the show was the main event and that was due to being exhausted after Kobashi vs Sasaki which was MOTN by a huge margin. KENTA vs Kanemaru was a fantastic match to watch, still it had it’s flaws. Minoru Suzuki & Naomichi Marufuji vs. Jun Akiyama & Makoto Hashi was great at well. Other than the veterans match, nothing was bad. Fantastic show. If you have the time, watch this show. You won’t regret it at all. 10/10
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

NJPW Resolution 05/04/2009

Show Facts:

Date: 05/04/2009
    Arena: Ryogoku Kokugikan (Sumo Hall)
    Attendance: 8,000

Koji Kanemoto vs Kazuchika Okada

Really good veteran vs rookie match. I was not expected the level of match they had but they brought it big. Kanemoto was excellent as the dickish veteran and Okada was great as the determined babyface. Okada sold very well, went toe to toe with Kanemoto a few times and even pulled off his famous dropkick!!! Kanemoto of course the vertrean beat Okada senseless an won by a KO. Loved the match. Interesting seeing Okada before becoming amazing wrestler that he is today. ***½

Great Bash Heel (Tomohiro Ishii, Jado, and Tomoaki Honma) vs. Wataru Inoue, Milano Collection AT, and Taichi Ishikari

Decent tag team match. Weird seeing Honma being a heel in a a match. Nothing standout but it was great seeing GBH beating in poor Taichi. Leave him alone, he is the future ace. Thought Inoue looked great and cleared house every time that he was in there. Milano didn’t do much sadly but I suppose he was only a year from retiring at this point so that’s expected. **¾

-----------

Sadly New Japan World skipped the Motor City Machine Guns vs Apollo 55 which I was not happy about as I love both teams but what can you do? Couldn’t find it only either, only their other matches.

-----------

Legend (Masahiro Chono, Jushin Liger, and AKIRA) vs. Riki Choshu, Super Strong Machine, and El Samurai:

Okay tag match. Very nostalgic. Didn’t outstay its welcome. **¼

Mask vs. Mask Match for IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship- Tiger Mask IV © vs. Black Tiger (Rocky Romero)

Pretty good Junior match. Very heated as a mask vs mask match should be. Had some excellent mat based wrestling and they teased a double count out finish but they reserved the decision and restarted the match to the delight of the crowd. Loved that after Romeo unmasked and left a new black tiger came out and attacked Tiger Mask IV and took his mask. ***¼

Great Bash Heel (Karl Anderson and Giant Bernard) vs. Manabu Nakanishi and Takao Omori

This match went on WAY TOO LONG. Omori and Anderson wasn’t in the match nowhere near the amount they should’ve been, they only was in their for the opening minutes then either Nakanishi or Giat Bernard was in. Boring tag match that dragged.

Hirooki Goto vs Toru Yano

Very good match. Yano surprisingly is a great heel and wrestles much better as one. Goto’s selling of the leg was fantastic, no surprise there, and he made Yano look like Zack Sabre Jr with his selling . Real good match. ***½

Chain Death Match- Takashi Iizuka w/Great Bash Heel vs. Yuji Nagata

I thought these two had an excellent brawling match. Both men bled which helped the stipulation a lot and gave the match a lot of drama. Nagata’s work on Iizuka’s arm was pretty good and he sold Iizuka’s offence really well. ***¾

Shinsuke Nakamura vs Togi Makabe

Thought it was a fine match. Very heated from the start with Makabe attacking Nakamura on the ramp. It went fast paced and had a good ending with Yano turning on Makabe, creating CHAOS with Nakamura in the process. ***

IWGP Heavyweight Championship- Hiroshi Tanahashi © vs. Kurt Angle

Real good match that was unfortunately not helped by the time length. It could’ve been great but they were only given 15 minutes and missed that extra spurt of time to kick it up a notch. Oh well, the match had some nice mat mixed wrestling and some cold spots. I think the styles difference may have been a problem as well but they still made it work. ***½

Surprisingly, Nagata vs Iizuka was MOTN. The show I thought was decent, I probably missed the only match that was great but it was a good show without it and I would recommend the watch.
    Spoiler:

قلبيlهذ

Status
      Country                    Egypt

Whoa, this was a random pick! I like it.

Kanemoto is one of my all time favorite wrestlers and in 2009 he was pretty incredible with multiple MOTYCs so it's little surprise he was on point. I'm not as huge of a fan of Okada these days as some people but as a young lion he was really great.

Iizuka used to be great, not as much in 2009 but since it's Nagata I can buy this as MOTN. Though I'm sure Goto vs Yano was right up there at this time.

Seemed like a pretty decent show all and all. I'm not a huge fan of Kurt or Tana at this time but I'm sure it could have been an alright main event.
    صفر يحب الحرير ~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Whoa, this was a random pick! I like it.

Kanemoto is one of my all time favorite wrestlers and in 2009 he was pretty incredible with multiple MOTYCs so it's little surprise he was on point. I'm not as huge of a fan of Okada these days as some people but as a young lion he was really great.

Iizuka used to be great, not as much in 2009 but since it's Nagata I can buy this as MOTN. Though I'm sure Goto vs Yano was right up there at this time.

Seemed like a pretty decent show all and all. I'm not a huge fan of Kurt or Tana at this time but I'm sure it could have been an alright main event.
    Oh yeah, this was very random. Initially I was only going to watch Okada vs Kanemoto, then I remember that this show was basically the start of CHAOS and then I saw the main event and I just decided to watch it all. Glad I did, fun show. Lots of hidden gems as well.
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

DG's Dead Or Alive 2017 Review

Dead Or Alive 2017

Date: 05/05/2017
    Arena: Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium
    Attendance: 6,000

Over Generation (Eita & Gamma) & Drastik Boy vs. Tribe Vanguard (Flamita, Kzy & Yosuke Santa Maria)

This was a great opener for the show. Classic DG tag team match, very quick, exciting, non-stop. The match had one pace from the very start, whether it was Kzy and Eita or Flamita and Drastik Boy, everyone went full speed, putting on a great show. Santa Maria’s comedy was kept to a minimum in this match part from one water spot. Flamita and Drastik did there usual highflying stuff but Kzy out shined them in that department imo. Landing on his feet after a step up somersault to the outside. Good way to start Dead Or Alive ***¼

Don Fujii & Masaaki Mochizuki vs. VerserK (Punch Tominaga & ‘brother’ YASSHI)

“MOCHI” This was a different type of tag team match, lots of brawling to the outside with them going all other the arena which was very surprising. One part of the match was when the camera panned to Mochizuki’s face, who was bewildered at the sight of YASSHI and Fujii fighting on the balcony. Very amusing. Fun, entertaining match. Best parts involved Mochizuki kicking the life out of Punch Tominaga **¾.

-----
    The steel cage entrants had an interview segment. Cyber Kong said he was the only one on that stage to never be Dream Gate champion. That ends today. Takagi said it has been nearly 9 months since he lost the title to YAMATO. He’s bored. Nothing has changed in those 9 months. Where is this supposed Golden Age of Dragon Gate that YAMATO proclaimed to bring? He is a liar and a fraud. His time is up. Takagi has no choice but take the title back and steer the course his own way. Hulk apologized to YAMATO. He feels bad, but he wants to win, even if that means YAMATO ends up bald and beltless. Doi received a big reaction. He was back in Nagoya as Naruki Doi of MaxiMuM. He was going to stave off the interference from the others, and defeat YAMATO to secure a happy ending for everyone. YAMATO thanked the fans for filling the arena to capacity again this year. He survived last year, and will do so again this year. The Golden Age starts today. - iHeartDG.
    -----

Open The Brave Gate Title Match: Jimmy Kagetora © vs. Takehiro Yamamura

Excellent Open The Brave Gate match. Told a nice story with Kagetora working on Yamamura’s selling the entire match and Yamaura trying to overcome that and beat the champion Kagetora while trying to establish himself. The work on the leg by Kagetora eventually saves Kagetora on multiple occasions with Yamaura failing to capitalized on the corkscrew moonsault, landing on his leg at one time. Yamamura’s selling of the leg was good as well, even when he was running around, you could see his struggling at times. Good babyface performance from him in this match. ***¾

-----
    Yamamura refused a handshake from Kagetora. Kage was really impressed with him. He was doing things 18 months in his career that Kagetora wasn’t even thinking about at the same experience level. He is looking forward to watching him grow into a fearsome opponent. He was planning on still being Brave Gate champion when that happens, so he is welcome to challenge again. - iHeartDG
    -----

Jimmyz (Genki Horiguchi HAGeeMee, Jimmy K-ness JKS, Jimmy Susumu & Ryo Jimmy Saito) vs. MaxiMuM (Ben-K, Big R Shimizu, Kotoka & Masato Yoshino)

Another good multi-man tag team match. Kinda hard to notice everything in the match, so this will be rather short. Everyone looked great, everyone’s styles meshed well and the match was well structured. ***½

----
    MaxiMuM and the Jimmyz argued after their match. Saito questioned Yoshinos’ choice in teammates. What did he think he could accomplish with partners like Kotoka and greenhorns like Ben-K? Yoshino took exception, but took more exception with his own teammates reaction. Why weren’t they more upset? Why weren’t they fighting back? Yoshino said he had his first target for the group. The Jimmyz. Horiguchi told them to bring it on. Their ragtag unit was no match for the Jimmyz and their 6 years together. - iHeartDG
    ----

Open The Twin Gate Title Match: Over Generation (CIMA & Dragon Kid) (c) vs. VerserK (El Lindaman & T-Hawk)

Excellent Tag Team Match by these two. They told a simple but effective story really well and it made for a fun 20 minute match. The match started with CIMA and Dragon Kid being in control, dominating T-Hawk and El Lindaman through their experience, knowledge and just being much, much better than the young duo. Of course, T-Hawk and Lindaman eventually get back in the match through devious means. But they couldn’t keep two greats down for long who eventually outsmarted them and won the match. This match had lots of near falls and all of them were done well and it made this match very dramatic in parts. Some great one on one action, some awesome tag team wrestling. Great match all round. ****

Open The Dream Gate Title vs. Hair vs. Mask Five Way Steel Cage Match: YAMATO © vs. BxB Hulk vs. Cyber Kong vs. Naruki Doi vs. Shingo Takagi

----
    Here is what I could find about the rules of the main event: “4 Flags in each corner of the on top of the cage, Open the Dream Gate on top, in the center of a panel.Any challenger (not YAMATO) may be eliminated at any time by Pin, Submission or KO.Challengers must retrieve a flag to become eligible for the Championship.
    When it’s down to YAMATO and one challenger, the winner will be decided by who retrieves the Open the Dream Gate Belt. This is the only way YAMATO can be eliminated. The loser will lose their hair or mask”. - VOW
    ----

Even though the rules may be confusing on a paper, this match was really simple in its execution. At first I was confused as to way Kong making it to the end has the most to lose but then I saw it as, the closer you get to the title, the bigger the risk and that makes perfect sense to me. The match itself was incredible, so chaotic, so much fun to watch, very creative and exciting. Doi was fantastic throughout the match, YAMATO was pretty good also. This was a war and it looked like it by the end of the match. It definitely lived up to the name of the show, Dead or Alive. Phenomenal match. ****¾

----
    YAMATO survived extensive interference to retrieve the belt, leaving Cyber Kong as the loser. As per the rules, he had to remove his mask, reveal his real name and age. HE refused. The cage was built higher than he expected. Who could climb that thing? He offered up Tominagas’ hair as a substitute sacrifice. YAMATO was having none of that. Kong eventually relented. He went to remove it himself, but YAMATO stopped him. Several years ago, he was the loser of a cage match. He sat down in the chair like a man and let Cyber Kong cut his hair. Today, Kong should be a pro and do the same. Kong sat while YAMATO removed his mask. Kong also disputed the rules about his name and age. After further pressing he revealed himself as Takashi Yoshida, age 34 from Osaka Prefecture. This wasn’t the end. He’s lost everything now, so he has nothing left to fear. Verserk were going to continue to wreak havoc. Verserk left.
    YAMATO said that the wrestler known as Cyber Kong is now gone. He urged Yoshida to consider his new ringname.

YAMATO thanked the fans for giving him the power to survive. He was battered and bruised, but was still champion. He thanked them for coming all the way to Aichi or watching on TV. King of Gate starts on Tuesday. He plans on winning again. He also planned on being still being champion at Dead or Alive 2018. He thanked Maria, Kzy, Flamita, & Hulk for their assistance today. Today, as always, wasn’t he just the coolest? -iHeartDG
    ----

Now that was an awesome show. Three great matches, all good in their own way and different from each other. The undercard was good, fun, nothing was bad or boring. Everything breezed by. Watched the entire show in one sitting apart from the main event apart from the main event (watched it later in the day). Totally recommend this show to anyone.

MVP: Naruki Doi
    MOTN: Main Event Steel Cage
    Grade: A

Credit: Voice of Wrestling for the rules and iHeartDG for the segment transaltions
    Spoiler:

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status
      Country                    England

Dead or Alive is such a wacky stipulation, but I love it.

I don't rate the main event nearly as high as you do, but if you enjoyed this you have to go back and watch the 2016 match where the cage match was all Veserk members and YAMATO turned face.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: DG's Dead Or Alive 2017 Review

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post

MVP: Naruki Doi

Not surprised you think this. Doi is the fucking BEST.

Not long til DOA this year

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Re: DG's Dead Or Alive 2017 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Dead or Alive is such a wacky stipulation, but I love it.

I don't rate the main event nearly as high as you do, but if you enjoyed this you have to go back and watch the 2016 match where the cage match was all Veserk members and YAMATO turned face.
    Totally going to. I was planning to do it in preparation for DOA next week.

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Not surprised you think this. Doi is the fucking BEST.

Not long til DOA this year
    Yh, Doi is awesome. Only been watching DG regularly since Nov and he has been great every time I've seen him. He is probably my favourite in the entire promotion after Mochi.
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

--- So I've been watching tons of old NOAH and All Japan matches and I thought I'll post them here as well ---

NOAH

Kenta Kobashi vs. Yoshinari Ogawa 01/11/03
    This is the type of match Ogawa gives you, no matter who he is wrestling, he always brings something different to an opponent game. And this time, it's Kobashi. Loved when Ogawa nonchalantly moved out the way of the chop and went back to the cavet like nothing happened. Regular dickish stuff like attacking the knee of Kobashi making him really angry and it lead to Kobashi beating the hell out of him. Busting him open and chopping the wound! Different type of match for Kobashi but it was excellent anyway. ****¼

-

Kenta Kobashi vs. Yoshihiro Takayama 25/04/04
    This match straight away had a big match feel. What I love most about these classic All Japan/NOAH matches is they show the wrestlers heading to the stage or waiting and it just adds a level of serious to the match. An aura of legitimacy to it. More companies should do that with their big matches. Anyway on to the match. Loved it this and everything in it. The psychology, the selling, the pacing, the crowd. EVERYTHING. In the match, loved Kobashi constantly working on the neck and/or upper body of Takayama, which would make the lariat or even the Burning Hammer which was teased in the match (to a thunderous reaction btw). Likewise, Takayama working on the arm of Kobashi, trying to combat not only the lariat but those dreading chops as well. In the beginning, Kobashi was laying into Takayama but after the work on the arm, he didn’t use them nearly as often and this match was topped off by the tremendous selling by Kobashi. For such a big guy, he is an excellent sympathetic babyface. Phenomenal match. *****

-

Jun Akiyama vs Kenta Kobashi 10/07/04
    It took a while to get into the match but when I did, I was so into the match. The atmosphere from the Dome crowd was incredible. Every move got gasps ad cheers. They were into everything these two did and it's one part of the match that I loved. They traded big moves for most of the match but they paced them really well. Some of them were draw dropping. The finishing stretch was incredible and we saw the burning hammer. Awesome. ****½

-

Go Shiozaki & Kenta Kobashi vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Kensuke Sasaki 05/11/05
    The dynamic here is really interesting with Kenta Kobashi teaming with his trainee and Kensuke Sasaki with his. Both whom went on to become the top starts of NOAH and GHC Heavyweight Champions. So based on that alone, this match is fascinating to me. The work in the match is really excellent, it’s not a normal tag team match where one team is usual on the defence, this match was constantly switching between the two teams. Everyone held their own against everyone. Personally, I though Nakajima was the star of the match by far. Out of the two proteges, Nakajima was the more popular and stood out way more in this match then Go did, who did a good job I might add. Loved the call back to their Destiny match between Sasaki and Kobashi with the chop sequences. Loved the finish as well. ****¾

-

KENTA vs. Naomichi Marufuji 29/10/06
    The intensity this match had, the atmosphere, the emotion to make it a special match imo. No great selling or structure to the match but it was faced paced, awe-inspiring and very enjoyable to watch. Marufuji gets hate from a lot of people but he is very entertaining despite his flaws and this match is a great example of that. ****½

-

KENTA & Taiji Ishimori vs. Kota Ibushi & Naomichi Marufuji 15/07/07
    Just incredible wrestling. Non stop, all out, entertaining action. Everyone looked great, everyone did their part, no one took a backseat. This was 20 minutes of flips, spots and just fun. Wonderful stuff and I brought into every pin at the time despite the kick out being really obvious in hindsight. ****¾

All Japan

Bill Robinson vs. Jumbo Tsuruta 05/03/77
    Excellent technical match. A younger version of Jumbo is still great. Billy Robinson combining with Jumbo to create a great match. Great psychology for all of the match and great ending as well. Highly recommend. ****

-

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Jumbo Tsuruta 05/06/89
    Incredible match, I must say. Jumbo vs Tenryu was always going to be good but this was above that, this was a special match. The crowd was red hot for this. Great psychology with Jumbo dominating the younger and smaller Tenryu, targeting the neck and legs with cobra clutches and various submissions, allowing the crowd to get behind Tenryu. Tenryu sold all the offence very well and gave a tremendous performance. The finishing stretch was great and really well done with the well timed false finish with the folding bomb only getting a two count first. Hot crowd, very stiff, great storytelling, pretty good selling from Tenryu. *****

Spoiler:

Thread Information