Thread: WWE Wrestlemania 20 Review

Wrestlemania WWE Wrestlemania 20 Review

Wrestlemania 20
    March 14, 2004

The Big Show (c) vs John Cena - WWE US Title
    Whoa...Show's actually defending the US Title. Since winning the US Title at No Mercy 2003, Show hadn't defended the title on PPV or TV until the February 5, 2004 edition of Smackdown where he defeated Billy Gunn. Show had one other televised title defense against Hardcore Holly on the February 19, 2004 edition of Smackdown. With this being now his third title defense, that's only three title defenses in five months. At this point, there isn't any doubt as to the result since Cena has already defeated Show in a few non-title matches. I can not stress enough how odd it is to hear a "Let's Go Cena!" chant followed up with "Big Show Sucks!" In 2015, it's beyond bizarre to go back and watch Cena matches from before the hate began. Despite the fans loving Cena, this was pretty boring. Cena dominated the vast majority of the match with his slow style approach. A lot of strikes without any sense of urgency. Cena would finally make a comeback, hit the FU and...gets a two count. Cena can't believe it and the commentators hype it as the first time anyone has ever kicked out of the FU. Cena gets the bright idea to get his steel chain necklace, which is promptly taken away by the referee. That allows Cena to easily grab his "Word Life" brass knuckles and punch out Show. One more FU and Cena has won his first ever championship in the WWE. I liked how the commentators stressed the importance of Show kicking out of the first FU and Cena's first title win/Wrestlemania match makes this a fairly important match, even if the one sided nature of the bout didn't help make it very exciting. **

Rob Van Dam and Booker T (c) vs La Resistance vs The Dudley Boyz vs Mark Jindrak and Garrison Cade - World Tag Titles
    Being that I didn't have cable post-Survivor Series '03 to pre-Wrestlemania 20, I missed nearly the entire RVD/Booker T tag run. Seeing as they only held the tag titles for just over a month, it's safe to say they were only put together and given the straps so that they could be booked on Wrestlemania, given that Batista and Ric Flair didn't need the titles going into this show. Being that this is their sole tag match together on PPV, it does not lead me to believe that they were any good together. The problem with this match is the lack of drama. For the entire duration of the match, the tag champions are legal. You start off with La Resistance before they're tagged out and the Dudleyz are legal. They eventually tag out to Jindrak/Cade, who are in for a bit before La Resistance are tagged back in. Throw in an extended sequence with Conway trying to put people to sleep while resting with a hold on Booker and you're ready for the finish with everyone running in. RVD scored the pinfall on Conway after the Five Star Frog Splash. The layout of the match was so unimaginative and it's no wonder that this match was cut from the VHS home release. Have no fear though. After several months of the World Tag Titles division sucking beyond belief, Chris Benoit would swoop in soon to up the quality at the same time that he'd be doing the same for the World Heavyweight Title. * ½

Christian vs Chris Jericho
    Quite possibly the best example of a Soap Opera-like program in the WWE that worked out great. You had Jericho and Christian make a bet over who could sleep with a WWE diva first, with Lita and Trish finding out before either could seal the deal. Christian didn't really care that Lita was upset, but heel Jericho had sorta grown to have legitimate feelings for Trish. As time went on, Jericho began acting more and more like a babyface to try and get back on Trish's good side. That caused a rift in his friendship with Christian. Since I wasn't watching Raw during those months before Survivor Series and Wrestlemania, I'm not entirely sure if Jericho was a 100% babyface yet or if this match helped seal the deal. Anyways, they worked a competitive back and forth match with both men getting in a lot of offense. Christian worked on the leg of Jericho in the second half. While the actual action is good, it's not what's important. What is important was Trish running out near the end. There's a spot with Christian grabbing Trish by her hair, but Jericho is there to make Christian pay for touching his possible girl. When trying to console Trish, Jericho gets an accidental elbow thrown at his face since Trish thinks it's Christian. The creepy little bastard quickly rolls up Jericho and scores the upset victory. Even though the WWE did some great things to try and elevate Christian in 2003, Wrestlemania 20 was the night he became a true singles superstar. *** ½

After the match, Jericho can't believe that he lost and Trish is at a loss for words to try and apologize. As Christian runs back to the ring, Trish shocks everyone by slapping Jericho twice. Christian lays Jericho out with an Unprettier. Leaving together, Christian and Trish make out for the first time at the top of the ramp. After being a babyface since mid 2001, Trish is once again a heel and as a result, her character is freshened up a good deal.

Evolution vs The Rock 'n' Sock Connection
    When you look back, Batista was so clearly the luckiest man at Wrestlemania 20. He and Flair could have easily been thrown in the Raw tag titles match since the most obvious Mania match was a singles one between Foley and Orton. When Rock decided to work Mania, the WWE could have just made it a normal tag match with Flair and Orton vs Rock and Foley. Instead, likely to help Rock and Foley not lose any heat due to the loss, the match is a made a handicap match and Batista gets to work with three legends and one of the top stars from this point on. Batista may have been a top star the following year, but he’s still incredible lucky on this night. Despite the fact that the story of the feud was built around Orton/Foley, it’s Flair vs Rock that ends up stealing the show. Every interaction between the two were great with both men imitating the other’s taunts. It made me really want to see a Rock/Flair PPV match. Even Batista vs Rock was surprisingly entertaining. Batista did a couple of big sells for bumping against Rock. The whole story of the match is just Rock and Foley getting bested by Evolution with multiple face-in-peril sequences. Every time there’s a hot tag, Rock ‘n’ Sock would gain the advantage for a bit, but the numbers advantage would always allow Evolution to gain control again. Even though, for me, Orton/Foley was an afterthought in this match, the finish played directly into their program and helped explain the need for Cactus Jack’s return at Backlash. The whole deal is that Foley wastes time, prepping for a Mr. Socko appearance, allowing Orton time to recover and to surprise Foley with a RKO for the victory. Maybe if the more ruthless, Cactus Jack, had been in the match, the outcome would be different? A really fun match and I’d have to think it’s at least in the running for best handicap match ever. *** ¾

Sable and Torrie Wilson vs Stacy Keibler and Miss Jackie
    This was billed as an evening gown match between the Smackdown and Raw Divas, but before the match, Sable got on the mic and announced that she was just going to strip before the match. Both Torrie and Stacy follow Sable’s lead with only Miss Jackie objecting. Naturally, team Smackdown strips Jackie against her will. #MeToo. With so little talent, the tag match was pretty awful and just an excuse to allow the MSG fans a few minutes to check out some women in their underwear. It ends up becoming one of the many, many examples for why it was so difficult for the WWE to convince their fans that women wrestling could matter. Torrie would end up pinning Miss Jackie, even flashing Miss Jackie’s bare ass for a moment, just because the initial nonconsensual stripping wasn’t violating enough. This match would not fly today at all. ½ *

Cruiserweight Open - WWE Cruiserweight Title
    It’s a singles turmoil match for the belt. The ten participants are: Ultimo Dragon (Sadly, the WWE Network doesn’t include his entrance botch), Shannon Moore, Jamie Noble, Funaki, Nunzio, Billy Kidman, Rey Mysterio, Tajiri, Akio, and Chavo Guerrero (Cruiserweight Champion). Since there needs to be ten falls and the match only went eleven minutes, they had to rush through things quickly. Akio didn’t even get officially involved, instead being eliminated due to Tajiri accidentally spraying him with green mist, causing Akio to be unable to compete. Literally all that happened in the Noble vs Funaki segment is that Funaki attempted a top rope cross body, but Noble rolled through and got the pinfall. Since selling isn’t possible, it’s just a match of nonstop spots. Noble hit a rare top rope dive to the outside. Kidman botched a Shooting Star Press on the outside to Noble and Nunzio. Even though Noble didn’t win, he was the most successful, eliminating Ultimo Dragon, Funaki, and Nunzio. Once Mysterio enters, a tiny bit of a story can develop with Mysterio having to deal with cheating. First Akio tries to hold Mysterio so that Tajiri could spray green mist, which as I said, turned poorly for the Japanese duo, and then in the final segment, Chavo Classic distracted Mysterio when he could to try and help the champ. Even the finish relied on Chavo getting the pinfall while holding the hand of Chavo Classic for the unfair advantage. Since this was Wrestlemania, I would have preferred had they instead focused on quality instead of quantity. Whether that means another Mysterio vs Chavo match or extending it to a four-way with Kidman and Tajiri. Fun for spots though. ** ¼

Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar
    Steve Austin is your special guest referee. This would be the most infamous match in Wrestlemania history due to news of Goldberg not re-signing with the WWE and Brock Lesnar deciding to quit the company the previous month. The New York crowd is RUTHLESS. The only positive chant in the entire match is just directed at Austin, not the actual wrestlers. This is sorta a disaster. The crowd hates on everything, the wrestlers clearly can’t be assed to put in any effort, and the actual action is pretty dull. After a lengthy period of zero contact due to the crowd, the wrestlers finally lock up and...they continue to be locked up. The first half of the match is all about neither man being able to get the advantage in both men doing the same thing. This just causes the fans to shit on the match even more. Even when the wrestlers do get into hitting moves, it doesn’t improve much. It’s not until the finishing stretch that things slightly pick up with Goldberg hitting a Spear for a nearfall, Lesnar hitting a F5 for a nearfall, and finally Goldberg nailing the Spear/Jackhammer combo for the victory. Even though twelve years had passed, it’s completely understandable for why fans feared the worst when the rematch was announced for Survivor Series 2016. An all around disaster. * ¼

After the match, Lesnar gives the middle finger to the NYC crowd, but suffers a Stunner. Goldberg and Austin shares a beer, but Austin stuns Goldberg too. This at least ends the segment on a high note. The ironic thing about all of this is that Austin was finishing up his latest WWE run and before the end of the month, would be done until Wrestlemania 21.

Rikishi and Scotty © vs The APA vs The Bashams vs TWGTT - WWE Tag Titles
    At No Way Out, we saw two tag matches featuring these four teams. Now it’s time for all four to lock it up. Unlike the Raw tag match, we actually get some variety here as it’s not just one team in for the entire time. There’s also not any restholds to kill time, instead favoring some nonstop action. The spot of the match saw Bradshaw hit the Last Call (Fallaway Slam) on a Basham over the top rope, landing on both members of TWGTT on the outside. Rikishi would pick up the victory after hitting a sit down squash on the other Basham. Absolutely fine match, but it’s more of a Smackdown match than something that deserves to be on Wrestlemania. Looking back, I would have just given the WWE Tag Titles to TWGTT prior to Mania and then book a Raw vs Smackdown match with TWGTT vs RVD/Booker T. Both matches felt pointless and I haven’t a clue why they didn’t even bother to add a little significance by crowning at least one new pair of tag champions. ** ¼

A vignette is shown for the return of Edge.

Victoria © vs Molly Holly - Title vs Hair - WWE Women’s Title
    Since the start of 2004, Victoria has been getting the best of Molly. Pinning Molly (When she was champion) in non-title matches and tag matches. After Victoria won the title in February on Raw in a fatal four-way, her streak of beating Molly only continued. I’m not sure exactly what happened, but somehow Steve Austin convinced Molly Holly to put her hair on the line for this match. In reality, the Women’s Title was originally not set to be defended on Wrestlemania. Instead, Molly had to go to the WWE officials, offering to lose her hair in order to get a match. That’s some serious dedication. Imagine the disrespect Molly and Victoria likely felt, not originally being booked, but the WWE did find time to book an evening gown match? Yet, even when this match finally happens, the disrespect continues as JR and The King spend nearly the entire match talking about panties. WTF? I can’t imagine how frustrated Molly likely was afterward, when she learns what the commentary did. Here she is, willing to lose her hair, yet the commentators can’t be bothered to focus on the match? Unfortunately, the match isn’t overly exciting. I know I prefer their non-title match on Heat before Royal Rumble. The finish comes off as pretty abrupt too as Molly attempts to steal Victoria’s own Widow Peak, but Victoria counters it into a backslide for the surprise pinfall. Still, this was better than the other women’s match. * ¾

After the match, the real fun begins as the two battles up the ramp with Molly trying to force Victoria into the barber’s chair to shave Victoria’s hair, but Victoria manages to spray Molly in the face with hair spray. That allows Victoria to strap Molly to the chair and start using the clippers on her. Due to time restraints, they only go as far as giving Molly an awful looking mullet, but it’s still a far more memorable segment than maybe any other Diva moment in WM history. The next night on Raw, we’d be able to see Molly bald.

Eddie Guerrero © vs Kurt Angle - WWE World Title
    Despite starting of the year as friends, Angle allowed his jealousy over Guerrero winning the Smackdown Royal Rumble and later the WWE World Title to cause him to turn on Guerrero. According to Angle, he was standing up for all of the WWE fans, feeling as if a past addict like Eddie wasn’t deserving of being champion. Considering Angle’s future, this angle is pretty ironic. This match was built entirely around how Angle was just a better wrestler than Guerrero. Angle completely outwrestles Guerrero. Angle outwrestles Guerrero on the mat, focuses a lot on the midsection of Eddie, and any time Guerrero tries to get something going with something high risk, Angle is there to prevent it. Sometimes that means pushing Guerrero off of the top rope and landing into the steel railing, further hurting the midsection. Other times it means moving out of the way of the Frog Splash, hurting the midsection. There’s even Angle’s old run up the ropes and tossing Guerrero off of the top rope, which I guess hurts the midsection? The longer the match goes on, the more comfortable Angle is at going for the Ankle Lock. Guerrero is in serious trouble. The best Guerrero can come up with is countering an Angle Slam into a DDT and finally hitting a Frog Splash, but Angle merely kicks out. So if you’re Guerrero, what the fuck do you do? You might be lucky in being able hang in the match this long, but you’re not going to keep being able to take such punishment and it’s not as if Angle has sustained much punishment of his own. The answer? You cheat. During one of the numerous Ankle Lock attempts, Guerrero is able to kick Angle off and through the ropes to the outside. That allows Guerrero to untie his boot, feigning severe injury, even allowing Angle to catch him messing with his foot. Angle gets blinders on, being able to focus on nothing other than just re-applying the Ankle Lock, knowing this next time will likely be it and he’ll win the title. Instead, once Angle gets at Eddie’s foot, the boot comes off and while Angle looks at the boot in surprise, Guerrero is able to lock in a small package (And using the ropes) to pick up the equally surprising pinfall to retain the title. This match perfectly summed up both characters. Angle is a wrestling machine and you just can’t outwrestle him. Meanwhile, Eddie has a ton of heart, and if needed, will cheat to win. Such a great and smartly booked match. ****

The Undertaker w/Paul Bearer vs Kane
    This was set-up at Survivor Series 2003 when Kane interfered in the Taker/McMahon Buried Alive match, killing the American Bad Ass Undertaker. By the start of 2004, Taker began playing mind games with his baby brother. This would not only be the return of the Deadman gimmick, but also Paul Bearer as a regular manager. Bearer, who other than a short stint managing Kane in 2000, hadn’t been seen on a weekly basis as a manager since representing The Ministry of Darkness in 1999. In the time since then, Bearer briefly was in NWA-TNA under his original gimmick of Percy Pringle III. This was a brawl with both men getting in an equal amount of shots for awhile. Throughout the match, Kane talks a lot of trash, often shouting, “You should have stayed gone!” The later the match goes, the more Kane realizes that this isn’t the same Undertaker. Taker just keeps getting up and getting the best of Kane. My favorite spot of the match saw Taker attempt Old School, but Kane just countered it by grabbing Taker’s throat. Kane gets too cocky near the end and rather than trying to further punish Taker, he waits to see if Taker can recover. Spoiler: he does. That allows Taker to finish Kane off with a Tombstone for the victory and going 12-0. When I first saw this, I thought it was pretty awful. Now, I think it’s fine. It’s not nearly as good as their previous match at WM 14, but it’s not meant to be. This was merely meant to re-introduce the Deadman version of the Undertaker. In theory, it would have been a success had Taker just squashed Kane. A big moment, but an otherwise forgettable match. ** ¼

Triple H © vs Shawn Michaels vs Chris Benoit - World Heavyweight Title
    Since late 2003, Hunter and Michaels had had a couple of title matches without a conclusive victory. This World Title picture only became more complicated when Benoit won the Royal Rumble and rather than remaining on Smackdown to challenge the WWE Champion at Wrestlemania, he instead surprised everyone by showing up on Raw, setting his sights on the WHT. In the past, I’ve rated this five stars, but considering it’s been years since I’ve seen it and I’ve grown to really sour on the repetitive formula of the WWE triple threat of just a series of one-on-one battles. Even though there were certainly one-on-one battles, I felt this match handled it much better than most. For one, there’s plenty of memorable spots involving all three men, the best being a double suplex from one commentator’s table through the other to Benoit in a rare Michaels/Hunter cooperation moment. Then there’s the fact that the lengthy segments without someone in the ring, I was believing that it could be the finish. Especially when Benoit was selling on the broken table, I bought into the idea that the finish would come down to Michaels vs Hunter. Then when people did jump back into action, such as Hunter desperately grabbing Michaels’ arm, refusing to let him tap out or HBK delivering a super kick to Benoit when he had Hunter locked in the Sharpshooter, it created a big pop moment. The bloodshed by Michaels is great. It really adds to the intensity, already exhibited by Benoit’s realistic style. In a year with Eddie Guerrero’s blood loss at Judgement Day, it can’t be the best bladejob of the year, but it’s certainly one of the best. The outcome of the match is also insanely rewarding. Back when the match first took place, I had zero faith in Benoit. After all, he wasn’t even given his own program for Mania, rather just being inserted into an already existing one. Being a massive Benoit fan, I had given up hope that the WWE would ever give him the World Title, but to have him force Triple H, the man who had his reign of terror the previous year, to submit at the biggest show of the year? Incredible. This isn’t like a John Cena title victory where there’s been a dozen+ others. It’s the one and only time and it feels special. Considering what an awful time Triple H had had as World Champion since the brand extension, it was nice finally seeing him in a great match like it’s 2000 again. It’s your WWE MOTY still. *****

After the match, Eddie Guerrero comes out to celebrate with Chris Benoit for one of the best feel good endings to any Wrestlemania. Obviously, this ending means something different today.

Overall
    Wrestlemania 20 is an example for why the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal (Or any battle royal) is so valuable to Wrestlemania. There’s multiple matches on this match that just serves the purpose of getting people on the show and it doesn’t actually help the PPV. If you happen to ignore those meaningless matches meant to get people on the show, what you are left with is a great and important Wrestlemania. The matches that delivered included the main event (Also the WWE MOTY), Guerrero/Angle, Evolution/Rock ‘n’ Sock, and Jericho/Christian. Bad matches might include Cena/Show, Taker/Kane, and Brock/Goldberg, but each of them are memorable in their own way. Cena’s first Mania and title victory? That’s huge. It’s the return of the Deadman, that’s big too! That Lesnar/Goldberg disaster is one of the most infamous matches in WWE history! Ultimately, I think the big reason why I’m so upbeat on this Mania is that it tends not to be such an overrated Mania. It seems as if everyone tends to agree on what worked and what didn’t work. It’s not like WM 10 where there’s two great matches and people claim it’s one of the best shows ever. Likewise, it’s not like WM 17 where a couple of the highly praised matches are lame to me. WM 20 succeeded where it needed to succeeded and failed in only places where it was irrelevant.

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: WWE Wrestlemania 20 Review

In 2015, it's beyond bizarre to go back and watch Cena matches from before the hate began.
    Three years to finish this show, Jim?

As for the handicap match, I rate it around what you did, and along with Ortons vs. Taker casket, I can't think of many handicap matches on that level.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    Three years to finish this show, Jim?
    Let's put it this way, this review originally began in my old admin room sub-forum where I used to start all of my reviews, then when I decided to step down as admin, it got thrown into a document on a thumb drive, where it stayed for a few years, to finally moving to my Google drive, where I keep all of my incomplete reviews. Hell, I still have some reviews I started in 2012 or before.

The 2018 portion of the review began with the handicap match. Everything before that was sometime in 2015.

Brick Shithouse

Status

My favourite Wrestlemania along with 30. Yeah there's a lot of filler and it feels very long (though not in comparison to the last couple of years), but the stuff that had to deliver delivered huge. The main event is the best Wrestlemania main event ever to me, and as a lifelong Benoit fan one of my favourite moments ever and a great reward for the best wrestler of the last 10 years at the time.

I actually rate Eddie Vs Angle (despite the poorly executed finish), the handicap and the Christian Vs Jericho matches higher than you. And Goldberg Vs Lesnar is one of the most fascinating matches ever.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    My favourite Wrestlemania along with 30. Yeah there's a lot of filler and it feels very long (though not in comparison to the last couple of years), but the stuff that had to deliver delivered huge. The main event is the best Wrestlemania main event ever to me, and as a lifelong Benoit fan one of my favourite moments ever and a great reward for the best wrestler of the last 10 years at the time.
    I think it all comes down to quality and timing. Wrestlemania 20 had four standout matches, of varying degrees and they were sprinkled throughout the show. The last two Manias had maybe two standouts each? Then looking at the length of the matches, the four longest matches at Wrestlemania 20 are the four best ones. That's a big difference compared to the past two year's Undertaker and Triple H matches lasting forever and not adding much quality. For Wrestlemania 34, they really need to re-think who gets a lot of time and who doesn't.

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    For Wrestlemania 34, they really need to re-think who gets a lot of time and who doesn't.
    hahahahahahahahahaha good one Jim. Enjoy 45 minutes devoted to Kurt Angle Vs Triple H.

Agree with most of this review; I enjoyed what you enjoyed, I didn't like what you didn't like. The main event is phenomenally good, one of the best WWE matches ever. You mentioned you thought the handicap match might be the best ever of that stipulation, I think the same could be said for the triple threat as well. Don't think I've ever seen one that comes close.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

I remember taking over the TV one evening and my wrestling-hating family having to watch the DVR with me. I already had to justify why I thought any of this was good...and then Lesnar/Goldberg happened. It was just impossible to defend how bad it was and I knew nothing about both guys leaving so I was just confused the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

Agree with most of this review; I enjoyed what you enjoyed, I didn't like what you didn't like. The main event is phenomenally good, one of the best WWE matches ever. You mentioned you thought the handicap match might be the best ever of that stipulation, I think the same could be said for the triple threat as well. Don't think I've ever seen one that comes close.
    I mean, that AJ/Daniels/Joe threeway is overrated, but I think it's safe to hold it in similar esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

This is probably in my top five of Manias but this show is so fucking weird looking back. One classic, two really good matches, a decent, and just a lot of fucking filler. Almost in painful stretches.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Brick Shithouse

Status

The show does hit a brick wall from the end of the handicap match to the start of the Eddie Vs Angle match, especially if you don't enjoy watching Lesnar Vs Goldberg.

I think Cena Vs Brock Vs Rollins would run the main event reasonably close.

Ed's probably right about Benoit/Hunter/HBK being the best ever triple threat match. To be honest, off of the top of my head, my second favorite would probably be the rematch from Backlash.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Ed's probably right about Benoit/Hunter/HBK being the best ever triple threat match. To be honest, off of the top of my head, my second favorite would probably be the rematch from Backlash.
    Any true Shawn Michaels hater prefers the Backlash match.

Main Eventer

Status

Another great triple threat happened 3 years prior at WM 200o with Benoit/Angle/Jericho although it wasn't given as much time as it should have been.

Benoit/Michaels/Trips is probably the best triple threat singles match but for me Benoit/Angle v Los Guerreros v Edge/Christian is my absolute favourite triple threat match ever.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Peru

Love this show. It has its full moments and matches sure, but it's overall good to watch. Crazy to think that the Rock was 31/2 at this time, so young. But at least he made his money and accomplished everything before his body was broken down. Shame about what happened a few years later because the ending of the show is a legendary moment, still is but they can't mention it. Weird to think the impact a year can make. John Cena curtain jerking WM to semi main eventing it the next year. Also, just a quick mention. I had the DVD box for it and it introduced me to Savage vs Steamboat at WM 3, Benoit vs Angle WM 17 and Wm 16's Ladder match so that's also a plus.

It's not my favorite WM of all time (that's 19) but it's high up.
    Spoiler:

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

I'm another who'd call this a favourite. Remember watching this vividly the evening after and it's run time consuming the entire evening. I so bought into the hype for this show, bought the t-shirt & poster for it in advance

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

The main event was the first classic match I ever watched on WWE Network. It is still a favorite of mine. I used to own WM 20 DVD, and very much regret selling it. In addition to the PPV itself, the DVD (first 3-disc PPV DVD) also featured the WrestleMania 19 documentary (aka WrestleMania "The Movie") and a documentary on the top 10 WrestleMania matches of all time.

BTW,
    WrestleMania 10-Three men competed for the WWF Championship.
    WrestleMania 20-Three men competed for the World Heavyweight Championship.
    WrestleMania 30-Three men competed for the WWE Championship.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

People's Champion

Status

This is my favourite mania as well. Ill never forget the bar i was at watching the main event. The crowd were banging on tables when Benoit won and all you heard was glasses and pitchers smashing on the floor. I cant decide which triple threat i like better. They are both the best ones WWE ever did.

My second favourite match on this show was Jericho vs Christian. I still love to go back and watch it.
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

H̸E̴L̷P̴ ̵M̵E̵!̸

Status
      Country                    Japan

Oh shit, didn't realize you finally did this review in January.

Ah WrestleMania XX, my first ever WWE Pay-Per-View. What a show to watch as your first true experience as a wrestling fan.

That Main Event is still 5* and one of the most emotional roller-coasters in wrestling history (if you ask me). Eddie/Angle was great and Jericho/Christian & Rock & Sock Connection/Evolution was awesome as well.

Easily my favorite wrestling show period, and I'll happily put it over WM XXX and SummerSlam 2013.

"Why won't the rainclouds go away? They're not going away at all..."

Grim's Threads:

"she must have changed her mind or something... That's why her fingertips were all bloody, anyway."

Thread Information