Page 5 of 199 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Civil NA Politics Thread

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Re: The Fresh and Civil Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Let's get away from US politics for a second.

Nigel Farage has today suggested a 2nd brexit referendum. I am struggling to see his motivations here because the win was so narrow before and I can't see us voting to leave a 2nd time.

It's a desperate cry for attention imo. But it will be fascinating to see how the Tories and Labour react to this.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I feel for sure if there was a 2nd ref, that remain would win because there can be nothing about the last 18 months that would make a remainer change their stance and at least a couple % of brexiters would switch over because so far it's been a shambles, the £350m for the NHS is a confirmed lie that influenced people etc.

I'm still pro-Brexit btw, I just didn't vote for an incompetently executed version of it. Feels like this whole thing is gonna define the decade in the UK.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

I'm still pro-Brexit btw, I just didn't vote for an incompetently executed version of it. Feels like this whole thing is gonna define the decade in the UK.
    I 100% agree.

Sweet Meat

Status

we need to start getting immigrants from proper countries like norway, not the shitholes!

oh boy

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status
      Country                    United States

Well, why exactly would people from Norway want to come here?

They have a more stable economy and government. Better education, and higher education that is free. They have free healthcare for all. They have less natural disasters. They are very unlikely to be at risk of going to war.

People come here from those "Shit holes" hoping for freedom, to escape grinding poverty, to escape tyranny. The scary thing is, this country is becoming more and more like what people are trying to escape.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by v4yne View Post
    Well, why exactly would people from Norway want to come here?

They have a more stable economy and government. Better education, and higher education that is free. They have free healthcare for all. They have less natural disasters. They are very unlikely to be at risk of going to war.

People come here from those "Shit holes" hoping for freedom, to escape grinding poverty, to escape tyranny. The scary thing is, this country is becoming more and more like what people are trying to escape.
    i dont really think people from norway coming to the US is the problem with that statement, man

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I'm not even surprised anymore.

Also, Trump is a snowflake for not coming to the UK because he won't be appreciated.

Last edited by Shock; 01-12-2018 at 03:52 AM.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I actually can't believe people were swayed by that NHS bullshit. Overall, still can't believe Leave won the referendum.

Just a question: what exactly would be a properly executed Brexit? And is it realistic?

Lol at the Trump/shithole stuff. Should take a long gander at his own country before saying that shit.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I'm not even surprised anymore.

Also, Trump is a snowflake for not coming to the UK because he won't be appreciated.

I wonder if thats the same reason he didn't come to Canada.

As for Trumps comment. What a ridiculous thing to say. This man couldn't be more of an asshole.

But Vayne is absolutely correct. Why the hell would anyone from Norway want to live in the US. Their country is already one of the top 3 countries to live in the world.

I'm embarrassed for his wife and children.
    Last edited by indyfan; 01-12-2018 at 06:43 AM.
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Get Bitches.

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I actually can't believe people were swayed by that NHS bullshit. Overall, still can't believe Leave won the referendum.

Just a question: what exactly would be a properly executed Brexit? And is it realistic?

Lol at the Trump/shithole stuff. Should take a long gander at his own country before saying that shit.
    He wants the Norway model, where the UK can implement some EU law, but not all, and control freedom of movement.

Trump - the funny thing about his comment about the USA selling the land the London embassy is on, is we rented the land! And the decision was made under Bush, not Obama. Really he probably knew there'd be mass protests upon his visits; London protests over anything. He didn't want the negative stigma of worsening EU relations.

re: the location of the new embassy, there's really no 'off location' in London. It's in Battersea which is being really heavily developed, with massive offices for Apple. It's not quite as prime being right off of the main shopping street, Oxford Street, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing for an embassy. It's closer to all the intelligence & political buildings now.
    Last edited by Inogenius; 01-12-2018 at 08:16 AM.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by v4yne View Post
    I think we need to be MUCH more selective on immigration like Australia and Canada are.

If we had requirements for 'skilled workers' and such like those countries, we would be called racist and every other name in the book.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

America is always expected to give more money, take more immigrants, make more sacrifices than any other country out there.

It is time we start reigning this shit in.

A good first step is cutting funds to the UN.

They laid waste to our land, they took it from our hand
    From Atlanta to Savannah, they scorched our earth
    They stole our corn and wheat, they left no food to eat
    They slaughtered all the cattle, took the things of worth
    Well, we got women and children too
    Just the same as you
    Ain't it enough just to know that you got us beat

The hatred will never cease, even now that there's peace
    The feelings will run as deep as the scars we bear
    This ain't cloth we wear it's a rag, we're at the mercy of the carpetbag
    What you call justice is plain unfair
    How the hell can you ever claim
    It's been worth all of the pain
    Just to have us live together under one flag

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    I think we need to be MUCH more selective on immigration like Australia and Canada are.

If we had requirements for 'skilled workers' and such like those countries, we would be called racist and every other name in the book.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

America is always expected to give more money, take more immigrants, make more sacrifices than any other country out there.

It is time we start reigning this shit in.

A good first step is cutting funds to the UN.
    Quebec takes in people from Haiti and Africa. Also Canada took in Syrian refugees.

And our elected leaders don't call them shit holes after
    Last edited by indyfan; 01-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Team Kick

Status

In principle, yes. The version sold in the ref, no.

You'd have to know in quite some detail what your endgame was. Not just the broad relationship but also exactly what policies and regulations you wanted to keep or opt out from. And it would take a few years of prep and planning before you even invoked A50.

He wants the Norway model, where the UK can implement some EU law, but not all, and control freedom of movement.
    Norway is in Schengen. On paper they have less control over FoM than we do. They're in the EEA so they can get out of the fisheries policy.

I do think Norway style is the way to go though. Stay in the single market while using the migration controls we already have but don't use and negotiate some opt outs. And make the passports blue tomorrow if that's so important.

Tacos Rule!

Status

Even with his Shitholes comment, some people will defend the guy. For someone who is supposed yo be more presidental than any other president - he sure does not talk like one, sure does not act like one.

How this man was successful in the business world boggles my mind

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Quebec takes in people from Haiti and Africa. Also Canada took in Syrian refugees.

I believe Canada has a requirement for immigrants. If I am wrong on that let me know.

Now you may be talking about refugees which is totally different.

I know that Australia won't admit people unless they prove they are going to be productive members of society ie have a skilled trade etc...

They laid waste to our land, they took it from our hand
    From Atlanta to Savannah, they scorched our earth
    They stole our corn and wheat, they left no food to eat
    They slaughtered all the cattle, took the things of worth
    Well, we got women and children too
    Just the same as you
    Ain't it enough just to know that you got us beat

The hatred will never cease, even now that there's peace
    The feelings will run as deep as the scars we bear
    This ain't cloth we wear it's a rag, we're at the mercy of the carpetbag
    What you call justice is plain unfair
    How the hell can you ever claim
    It's been worth all of the pain
    Just to have us live together under one flag

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    I believe Canada has a requirement for immigrants. If I am wrong on that let me know.

Now you may be talking about refugees which is totally different.

I know that Australia won't admit people unless they prove they are going to be productive members of society ie have a skilled trade etc...
    You are correct, we do have a lengthy immigration check and requirements but we do admit people from everywhere.

The biggest issue with what Trump may have said is he doesn't want people from the third-world and would rather people from core countries ( first world)

That's really what it boils down to. You can even say this comment along with his Travel ban, he doesn't really want people from predominantly black and Muslim countries and would rather people who are from predominantly white countries.

Of course this is a stretch but perception counts for a lot. He needs to learn to apologize for saying idiotic things
    Last edited by indyfan; 01-12-2018 at 02:35 PM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

A properly executed Brexit is quite simple: we go in with a plan and a government that actually wants to go through with it and all working to the same goal. The biggest problem is that half of the current government wanted to stay, including our leader, while the most prominent leavers are (thankfully, considering its Gove, Boris and Farage). So nobody knows what they want to get out of Brexit, and nobody is working to come up with a plan.

But the reason for Brexit are clear: it's about immigration control; not having to follow EU laws; and accountability (if we aren't happy with our government we can get rid of them - we don't have that luxury with the EU). Our economy was strong without the EU, with it, and can be without it again - with or without the EU we are still in the top 6 world's most powerful and richest countries.

The problem is that nobody wants to work together. I include the EU in that as well because they are determined not to help us in the transition even though a stronger Britain is still better for the EU because the majority of our trade will still go through them. But by being difficult in trade negotiations, they're hurting us AND themselves. So TL;DR - we aren't helping ourselves, but the EU aren't helping anyone either.

A perfectly executed Brexit was always going to have a divorce bill: we have signed committments to give money to various EU projects, we can't exactly go back on those (that's what makes Trumps actions on, say, the Paris agreement so ridiculous because it means that governments will be tentative to get into agreements with the US in the future if he's going to go back on agreements the States have agreed upon). But other than that there's really very little that had to change immediately*: assure EU citizens already living in the UK that they didn't need to go anywhere and could still apply for citizenship once they had been here long enough - that's in our own hands; EU laws we could stop adhering to come March 2019, and the time between that would be about making that transition easy.

*The only real complication is Ireland and working out the best solution for that problem. Scotland is another issue but that can be addressed after leaving the EU, but the Irish border is the biggest problem with Brexit (but in an ideal world there'd be two borders for the UK - an Irish border and the continental border - each with its own rules and regulations.

100% agreed.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post

How do you know what your elected leaders say about other countries behind closed doors? Legit question.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Strife View Post
    How do you know what your elected leaders say about other countries behind closed doors? Legit question.
    I don't but Trump's mistakes and outburst are everywhere.. hes an idiot. He tweets idiotic statements.

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

I surmise it would be far better if one kept their personal opinions (ones that would at least show them in a bad light) away from public eye and away from those that cannot be trusted. Thus far, Trump has done a bad job of both.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I surmise it would be far better if one kept their personal opinions (ones that would at least show them in a bad light) away from public eye and away from those that cannot be trusted. Thus far, Trump has done a bad job of both.

It's like he's trying to be what most People who like to be loud obnoxious assholes who hide behind freedom of speech want to be. I can say and offend anyone and I won't apologize. It's basically being a bully asshole. And it's crazy that this behaviour is applauded by people.

I have opinions about people but I have the respect to keep it to myself because I'm not going to hide behind freedom of speech.
    Last edited by indyfan; 01-12-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Thread Information