Page 300 of 300 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300
Results 5,981 to 5,989 of 5989

Thread: The Civil NA Politics Thread

Main Eventer

Status

Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Yes, absolutely so. This is the sort of thing that was happening in Nazi Germany.

It is appalling. And it's probably been going on for a long time, sadly.

Speaking of Nazi Germany, one of the biggest issues I have with Trumps regime is the enormous influx of Antisemitism. Antisemitism is at the highest it has been in decades, and having an administration and president that refuses to take a strong stance against white nationalism? That's dangerous. The influx of conspiracy theories as a belief being damn near mainstream, the continued discrediting of experts in science, history, etc...Very scary.

15% of American young people do not believe the Holocaust happen, or "know if it happened".

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columni...icago.suntimes
    i was talking with a friend( and shes alot like you in your beliefs Vayne) and she said something interesting.

The internet has ruined critical thinking.

and i can see her point with how easy i formation spreads. on one hand, you can get real unbiased indepedent news thst isnt controlled by the mega media corps...but on the other, it allows for conspiracy theories to flourish.

its a slippery slope and its too late to get off.

but on the topic of experts.....There are plenty of experts who go along with those theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    thanks for the info.
    Last edited by indyfan; 09-16-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    The Ultimate Contrarian!!!!!!!!!!!

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    i was talking with a friend( and shes alot like you in your beliefs Vayne) and she said something interesting.

The internet has ruined critical thinking.

and i can see her pointvwith how easy i formation spreads. on one hand, you can get real unbiased indepedent news thst isnt controlled by the mega media corps...but on the other, it allows for conspiracy theories to flourish.

its a slippery slope and its too late to get off
    People with good critical thinking ability should not be hampered by it.

Most intelligent people with good critical thinking skills are able to discern between conspiracy theories and genuine information.

Unfortunately, this comes back to the same issue that I mentioned in Trump's base. Low education, low intelligence, etc. The kind of people who buy into cults, conspiracies, etc are not generally the brightest or best with critical thinking.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Main Eventer

Status

People with good critical thinking ability should not be hampered by it.

Most intelligent people with good critical thinking skills are able to discern between conspiracy theories and genuine information.

Unfortunately, this comes back to the same issue that I mentioned in Trump's base. Low education, low intelligence, etc. The kind of people who buy into cults, conspiracies, etc are not generally the brightest or best with critical thinking.
    i dont think she was saying it gets hampered by it, but lots of people are exposed way easier now than ever before. So instead of reading a experts analysis, its easy to read a blurb from a whackjob.

And i wont lie...im really into Aliens and shit like that and it comes with its fair share of conspiracies. I eat that stuff up.

Status
      Country                    United States

The internet has made it worse but the internet is not to blame. The nation's inability to craft some sort of baseline education and instead allowing red states to teach absolute garbage like "Slaves were happy" and "The Civil War was about state's rights" is the problem. When people grow up uneducated or fed lies contrary to literal history, they're going to more inclined to question even the most obvious act. The internet makes it easy to access false information to make them feel warm and fuzzy, but the internet doesn't create this brand of ignorance.

Also while I understand that in theory you were talking all talking about red states and their trends and whatnot, there was definitely a hint of maliciousness in making sure it was pointed out what state Dak is from. What he posts in this thread is often intolerable but watch where you step. People have long gotten infracted on both sides in this thread for taking his bait. Keep it above board.
    Last edited by Silky B Badd; 09-16-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silky B Badd View Post
    The internet has made it worse but the internet is not to blame. The nation's inability to craft some sort of baseline education and instead allowing red states to teach absolute garbage like "Slaves were happy" and "The Civil War was about state's rights" is the problem. When people grow up uneducated or fed lies contrary to literal history, they're going to more inclined to question even the most obvious act. The internet makes it easy to access false information to make them feel warm and fuzzy, but the internet doesn't create this brand of ignorance.
    Yeah, this is the problem. And for the record, those are the states that vote republican. Going back to my point, less intelligent people vote for Trump.

This sort of thing predates the internet, and just because stupid theories are more easily accessible to the uneducated than they previously were, does not mean it's to blame. It brings the issue all the way back to several pages ago, the education standards.

Don't Cry Jennifer

Status
      Country                    Norway

This conversation has heavily reminded me of one of the final speeches of Metal Gear Solid 2 and how just fucking crazily true it all turned out to be.

Cardcaptor

Status

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews.../#698c19a8155a

Trump officially launching a "Patriotic Education" mandate.

Holy fucking nationalism.

Main Eventer

Status

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews.../#698c19a8155a

Trump officially launching a "Patriotic Education" mandate.

Holy fucking nationalism.
    The sad part is....its totally Trump.

Page 300 of 300 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300

Thread Information