Page 288 of 305 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298 ... LastLast
Results 5,741 to 5,760 of 6099

Thread: The Civil NA Politics Thread

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Maybe it’s both, but the national security angle is 100% there. India banned TikTok this week for basically the same reasons.
    Sorry but you're gonna have a real hard time convincing me that national security is at all a personal concern of Trump's. This crusade is 1000% personal.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

WAKE UP

Status

Right but Donald Trump isn’t the only person in the American Government. Try looking at politics outside of just Donald Trump and what is happening in the world outside of that and there are very clear reasons why the vast majority of security experts *across the world* are preaching caution with any Chinese tech company.

Backyarder

Status

The House has voted to ban Tik Tok on federal devices.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-phones-374315

The Army and Navy are prohibiting members from using it and several Senators have called for it to be investigated.

Sens. Chuck Schumer, a New York Democrat, and Tom Cotton, an Arkansas Republican, called on the US intelligence community to assess TikTok's national security risks in October, saying the app could be used to spy on US citizens. Other lawmakers, including Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio, have raised concerns that TikTok has censored Hong Kong-related content.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/30/polit...ned/index.html

“Based on numerous reports, we are extremely concerned that Zoom and TikTok have disclosed private information about Americans to the PRC and engaged in censorship on behalf of the Chinese government,” Sen. Josh Hawley (R–Mo.) and Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D–Conn.) wrote in a letter to the Justice Department on Thursday.
    https://nationalinterest.org/blog/sk...se-apps-165982

Its not just Pres. Trump and it is not just republicans.
    And I awake from dreams,To a scary world of screams,And heaven I think is too close to hell--The Jesus and Mary Chain

Semi-Retired

Status

Tik Tok was banned by the military as far back as three years ago.

Pretty much any Chinese controlled company has been on the Pentagon's watch list because all of them build doorways and malware into their designs so the government has access. It isn't exactly a deep state secret.

I'm not even close to being a Trump supporter, but go to any decent Tech blog or Tech magazine and look up Tik Tok. The problems with it have been well documented well before it was even on the President's radar.

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

The UK government overturned their decision to let Huawai have anything to do with building the 5G network over here because of national security. It may be a personal thing with Trump too, but the US wouldn't be the only country weary of Chinese spying right now

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Didn't the same thing happen with that face app that made you look old? I think it was a Chinese or Russian app that gave full access to your phone.

WC without Duke is like McDonalds without the Big Mac. - DD

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

For anyone saying this is about tik tokkers "reserving all the seats for his rally" that is just incorrect.

I have attended several of his rallies and it is impossible to "reserve all the seats"

There is no limit to how many "tickets" are "reserved". They simply use that to get an idea of how many people may be attending.

I "reserved" seats at every rally I went to, printed out tickets, and when I got there they didn't even ask for them nor look at them.

That whole story was a flat out misconception.

President Trump has no reason to have a vendetta against TikTok other than the fact that he is at odds with China over trade. Now if you wanted to argue that point it would be perfectly valid.

Carry on.
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

― Mark Twain

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan2 View Post
    Didn't the same thing happen with that face app that made you look old? I think it was a Chinese or Russian app that gave full access to your phone.
    That was Russian, but yes.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    For anyone saying this is about tik tokkers "reserving all the seats for his rally" that is just incorrect.

I have attended several of his rallies and it is impossible to "reserve all the seats"

There is no limit to how many "tickets" are "reserved". They simply use that to get an idea of how many people may be attending.

I "reserved" seats at every rally I went to, printed out tickets, and when I got there they didn't even ask for them nor look at them.

That whole story was a flat out misconception.

President Trump has no reason to have a vendetta against TikTok other than the fact that he is at odds with China over trade. Now if you wanted to argue that point it would be perfectly valid.

Carry on.
    Guess that makes it even more embarrassing that no one went, huh.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silky B Badd View Post
    Guess that makes it even more embarrassing that no one went, huh.
    Looked full from the pictures I saw.

But it happened during a pandemic so there is that.

I guarantee he can pull more of a crowd than Biden though so
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

― Mark Twain

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I agree with Trump on China.

China actively blocks US companies from selling to their citizens. Especially web companies. They require you have to have an ICP license (internet content provider). I actually created a whole division at my last employer as a consultant towards helping web companies operate in China. Basically anything that might compete with or speak poorly about China is blocked.

Then if you're a hardware company, you can basically expect any Chinese competitor will do everything they can to copy your designs. Good luck getting any kind of copyright protection. It's simply nonexistent.

Huawei... total joke. Huawei literally is a government funded company - and here's why. When companies like Vodafone in Europe, or Verizon in the US purchase equipment from Huawei, they literally send over a team to manage the equipment... for the life of the contract. That's one of the "key sells." It's managed for you, so you don't have to hire a team or train a team to manage it. However, who knows what other information the Huawei equipment is logging? Who knows what other information those engineers are also looking into? You'll never know because you can't touch the equipment.

Finally what happened in Hong Kong and what's been happening with the Uyghurs in China is massive human and civil rights issue. China needs a serious smacking.

Of course the US needs a serious smacking too.

Anyway, I expect Tiktok won't be the last sanctions on China. I've bought a bunch of shares of Vietnam, India, Malaysia, and Singapore national ETFs expecting production and work to shift outside of China. I don't know who is going to get it, but I hope it's one of those 4 (Yes, I realize Singapore is tiny, but I would expect engineering work to go there).
    Last edited by Inogenius; 08-02-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Inogenius View Post
    I agree with Trump on China.

China actively blocks US companies from selling to their citizens. Especially web companies. They require you have to have an ICP license (internet content provider). I actually created a whole division at my last employer as a consultant towards helping web companies operate in China. Basically anything that might compete with or speak poorly about China is blocked.

Then if you're a hardware company, you can basically expect any Chinese competitor will do everything they can to copy your designs. Good luck getting any kind of copyright protection. It's simply nonexistent.

Huawei... total joke. Huawei literally is a government funded company - and here's why. When companies like Vodafone in Europe, or Verizon in the US purchase equipment from Huawei, they literally send over a team to manage the equipment... for the life of the contract. That's one of the "key sells." It's managed for you, so you don't have to hire a team or train a team to manage it. However, who knows what other information the Huawei equipment is logging? Who knows what other information those engineers are also looking into? You'll never know because you can't touch the equipment.

Finally what happened in Hong Kong and what's been happening with the Uyghurs in China is massive human and civil rights issue. China needs a serious smacking.

Of course the US needs a serious smacking too.

Anyway, I expect Tiktok won't be the last sanctions on China. I've bought a bunch of shares of Vietnam, India, Malaysia, and Singapore national ETFs expecting production and work to shift outside of China. I don't know who is going to get it, but I hope it's one of those 4 (Yes, I realize Singapore is tiny, but I would expect engineering work to go there).
    Vietnam is a good bet. Nintendo already has a lot of production in Vietnam.

I noticed when I was playing my girlfriend's Switch Lite that it had a "Made In Vietnam", as opposed to my "Made in China" original gen 1 Switch. Looked into it, and Nintendo has been having the majority of their production in Vietnam for a while now.

Vietnam is also a very fast rising economy. Definitely a country to keep eyes on for investments, as well as anyone who is / planning on being an expat with marketable skills/degrees.

That's not to imply Malaysia, Singapore, and India are not good bets as well. I just know less about them in that case. I do know that Singapore is lovely to live in, and have numerous friends there, though!
    Everything will surely be alright.

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Also handling Coronvirus a hell of a lot better than a lot of other places. Had their first death only a week ago

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Also handling Coronvirus a hell of a lot better than a lot of other places. Had their first death only a week ago

Absolutely.

A lot of people jump too quick and go "Oh, communists. Ew!" and are entirely misinformed about Vietnam. It's a beautiful country, and I have several friends there. I also know a handful of people who have moved/retired there.

Look at the proximity to China that Vietnam has on the map, and then look at it's total COVID cases. It's handled it exceptionally.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

WC without Duke is like McDonalds without the Big Mac. - DD

Main Eventer

Status

im not any kind of expert on these historical scenarios but this author gives three potential Trump reactions to losing in November

IwAR3G6dP8YlWgQSocn71_JNIxhK9UK0OUWIRyzdtWWjrL5PXMQsErTHX0qlw
    The Ultimate Contrarian!!!!!!!!!!!

Cardcaptor

Status

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/03/pres...of-tiktok.html

From "national security risk" to leverage a deal for personal gain.
    Government interference in the free market brought to you by the party that preaches against big government.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Trump is international security risk , why would anyone vote for him ? he is mentally unstable , makes things up as he goes a long and he makes a fool of not only himself but also the American people and past leaders

Status

Marco Rubio legit just tweeted last night, entirely unironically, about Eva Longoria speaking at the DNC.

He complained about how actors and celebrities are out of touch with American citizens.

This man voted for Donald Trump, a reality TV star. And also spoke right after Clint Eastwood at the last Republican Convention and didn't say a word about that.

It just never amazes me how Republicans can be this dense and this ignorant, constantly contradicting themselves or projecting their own issues.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Marco Rubio legit just tweeted last night, entirely unironically, about Eva Longoria speaking at the DNC.

He complained about how actors and celebrities are out of touch with American citizens.

This man voted for Donald Trump, a reality TV star. And also spoke right after Clint Eastwood at the last Republican Convention and didn't say a word about that.

It just never amazes me how Republicans can be this dense and this ignorant, constantly contradicting themselves or projecting their own issues.
    hahaha ..

I just dont get this idea that celebrities shouldn't talk about politics...They live there and pay taxes and vote.

Has anyone seen that protester kicking that guy in the back of the head in Portland? Its fuckin brutal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...-Portland.html

I hope they catch him soon. There's no need for that
    Last edited by indyfan; 08-18-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    The Ultimate Contrarian!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 288 of 305 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298 ... LastLast

Thread Information