Page 273 of 286 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283 ... LastLast
Results 5,441 to 5,460 of 5710

Thread: The Civil NA Politics Thread

Cardcaptor

Status

Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post

also very powerful to see the response to this. I was quite moved by the videos of the police in certain countries walking with and joining protestors. such a stark contrast to the horrendous police brutality in other places. that is what we really should be seeing - police standing with communities and saying this guy is not one of them. unfortunately too many are against breaking rank and file and would rather see their cities burn instead
    Yeah, that's the silver lining and promising aspect of it all.
    Everything will surely be alright.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Antifa are basically facists tho yea
    They are fascists against other fascists, so kind of?

Very powerful to see the brother of George Floyd today come out and tell people to stop rioting and destroying their own communities and to instead educate themselves and vote
    As great as the sentiment is, we've proven time and time again that voting doesn't really do much, the government just doesn't care about these sort of things unless it's good PR because it doesn't pay them.

also very powerful to see the response to this. I was quite moved by the videos of the police in certain counties walking with and joining protestors. such a stark contrast to the horrendous police brutality in other places. that is what we really should be seeing - police standing with communities and saying this guy is not one of them. unfortunately too many are against breaking rank and file and would rather see their cities burn instead
    It's a real shame that most of the performances we saw from police yesterday ended with them then tear gassing and mace/pepper spraying the protestors, just 5-10 minutes after their photo op. The structure of the police itself is broken, and as great as all this anti-police solidarity is to see, I can almost guarantee nothing substantial will change.

with a manslaughter charge being brought forward we should hopefully see justice in this case atleast, even if it is a drop in the ocean
    If you haven't seen the statement from the head of the MPLS Police Union, it really is something else, they are gonna try and make it out with all four cops still having jobs.

Here's the statement: https://twitter.com/ChiefHarteau/sta...408564225?s=20

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Voting wont do shit. This happened under Obama too and its happened under every president voted to the office since the U.S. has had a president. Plus, telling people to vote dismisses the fact that voter suppression is a huge thing in the U.S. for poc communities & transgender people. And when you consider mass incarceration and the fact that prisoners also dont have the right to vote. Etc. etc. Voting doesnt work, and even if it did, the US government is making damn sure the people whose voice could alter the system dont have the right to vote.

Furthermore, the amount of "cops join the protestors"... five seconds later... "cops are tear gassing the protestors" situations are ridiculous. But even if they weren't, it's police propaganda, straight up. Saying that Chauvin isn't one of them is such bullshit. That's them not taking responsibility for the system that allowed it to happen. He is 100% one of them. That's the whole point of the protests. There are so many like him. Telling people he's not one of them is rejecting the idea that reform is absolutely 100% necessary. The police had a chance to stop this shit, they've had a chance for decades. At some point you stop getting new chances.

Telling people to vote & celebrating the moment you see some cops slapping hands with some protesters is why we're going to be doing this again in 10 years.

This shit has never been right. Cops are a symbol of fear for black people (and many other communities). Radical change is absolutely necessary.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

Antifa are basically facists tho yea

Very powerful to see the brother of George Floyd today come out and tell people to stop rioting and destroying their own communities and to instead educate themselves and vote

also very powerful to see the response to this. I was quite moved by the videos of the police in certain counties walking with and joining protestors. such a stark contrast to the horrendous police brutality in other places. that is what we really should be seeing - police standing with communities and saying this guy is not one of them. unfortunately too many are against breaking rank and file and would rather see their cities burn instead
    That man did more good for the nation in one speech than our bone-headed President has done in a week. People like Terrence Floyd will lead us to a better place.

Cardcaptor

Status

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    I bet the white ones are.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I bet the white ones are.
    Might be. 100% more safe than any POC.

But I'm seeing even white celebs get arrested, like Cole Sprouse. Trump is going full fascist.

The irony, that the guy all the constitutionalists and freedom thumpers idolize and bow to, pretty much tosses the constitution in the shredder. As long as the white guys can have their guns, I guess we call it good.
    Last edited by Sakura; 06-01-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

Trump just said he allies with peaceful protest, literally as peaceful protestors are tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets outside the White House... So he could do a photo shoot at a church. A church which its leader who overseas the Episcopal Diocese of DC, has been protesting and is against everything that just happened?

You can't make this level of ineptitude up, people. But please, tell me how he's good for America.

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom-E View Post
    Trump just said he allies with peaceful protest, literally as peaceful protestors are tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets outside the White House... So he could do a photo shoot at a church. A church which its leader who overseas the Episcopal Diocese of DC, has been protesting and is against everything that just happened?

You can't make this level of ineptitude up, people. But please, tell me how he's good for America.
    They'll go on about how it's fake news, and a million whataboutisms as an excuse.

Every single one of us who in 2016 said Trump was an abhorrent monster and his voters were deplorable? Hey look, we were right.

Told ya so.

Main Eventer

Status

Though i understand unarmed people of color are killed by police way more than unarmed white people, people kind of act like it never happens to white people at all.

Dillon Taylor was shot wearing headphones in 2014 during the same week as Micheal Brown.

Then there's Jeremy Mardis who was a 6 year old shot in his fathers car by police.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Though i understand unarmed people of color are killed by police way more than unarmed white people, people kind of act like it never happens to white people at all.

Dillon Taylor was shot wearing headphones in 2014 during the same week as Micheal Brown.

Then there's Jeremy Mardis who was a 6 year old shot in his fathers car by police.
    Do people act like it doesn't happen at all, or do they just act like it's substantially less of a problem, because it is?

The fact that people feel a need to even bring it up just screams white fragility.

WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

#BlackLivesMatter

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Do people act like it doesn't happen at all, or do they just act like it's substantially less of a problem, because it is?

The fact that people feel a need to even bring it up just screams white fragility.
    Nahh i see a lot of people acting like it doesn't happen at all. That's why i brought it up.
    Last edited by indyfan; 06-01-2020 at 11:48 PM.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

You bringing up a case from 2014 is all that really needs to be said, tbh.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Nahh i see a lot of people acting like it doesn't happen at all. That's why i brought it up.
    Why, exactly, did you bring it up? Do you feel the need to point out that you're suffering as much as black people? Are you trying to come across as though your experiences are the same?

These protests are at their core about police violence. Yes black people in particular are the most aggrieved party, but the end goal of the protest is justice. For everyone. You do not need to point out that white people have run into shitty cops too. That shitty cops exist is not news to black people or this movement. All it comes across as is you trying to make this issue about yourself and white people so you can get in on the suffering too.

And the guy who shot Mardis got arrested and imprisoned, so given that again, the point of all of this is for justice, that's an example that doesn't fit the bill at all. That officer was rightfully punished for killing a white kid, something you'll notice happens much less frequently if the kid is black.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

#BlackLivesMatter

Cardcaptor

Status

Honestly, bringing up that it happens sometimes to white people too? Just strengthens why this is happening.

Anytime police brutality happens, it's horrible. And it needs to be punished as such. But the matter at hand is that a ridiculous amount of POC are the victim of said brutality. And rarely is anything done about it.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

I'm not qualified to talk about racism in my own country, so I'm not going start pretending I fully understand the situation over in America this week, but really depressing to read and see the scenes coming out of that country this week and you can't blame people for being angry/upset/desperate for change when this cycle continues. Hope anyone caught up in this like Jimmy stays safe.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'm not qualified to talk about racism in my own country, so I'm not going start pretending I fully understand the situation over in America this week, but really depressing to read and see the scenes coming out of that country this week and you can't blame people for being angry/upset/desperate for change when this cycle continues. Hope anyone caught up in this like Jimmy stays safe.
    I wasn't hit, but when we we're boarding up businesses on Saturday in Midway the police did destroy our food/water area. So at least their priorities are straight.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

That ANTIFA_US twitter account Shawn mentioned is linked to a White Nationalist organization: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncn...mpression=true

Cardcaptor

Status

I'm just waiting for Trump to label white nationalists a threat, and label them terrorists instead of fine people. Or the "alt-right" nut jobs that make up his base.

But by going on the offense against racists, he removes the majority of his base.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    Voting wont do shit. This happened under Obama too and its happened under every president voted to the office since the U.S. has had a president. Plus, telling people to vote dismisses the fact that voter suppression is a huge thing in the U.S. for poc communities & transgender people. And when you consider mass incarceration and the fact that prisoners also dont have the right to vote. Etc. etc. Voting doesnt work, and even if it did, the US government is making damn sure the people whose voice could alter the system dont have the right to vote.

Furthermore, the amount of "cops join the protestors"... five seconds later... "cops are tear gassing the protestors" situations are ridiculous. But even if they weren't, it's police propaganda, straight up. Saying that Chauvin isn't one of them is such bullshit. That's them not taking responsibility for the system that allowed it to happen. He is 100% one of them. That's the whole point of the protests. There are so many like him. Telling people he's not one of them is rejecting the idea that reform is absolutely 100% necessary. The police had a chance to stop this shit, they've had a chance for decades. At some point you stop getting new chances.

Telling people to vote & celebrating the moment you see some cops slapping hands with some protesters is why we're going to be doing this again in 10 years.

This shit has never been right. Cops are a symbol of fear for black people (and many other communities). Radical change is absolutely necessary.
    You are entirely right.

This did happen under Obama. To which he responded by enacting some of the most positive police reform changes we've seen in a LONG time.

Then guess what happened?

Trump dismantled all of that in his first year. The Minneapolis police union head PRAISED Trump for that move. He encouraged officers like Chavuin. This is the result.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag.c...-kneeling.html

Page 273 of 286 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283 ... LastLast

Thread Information