Thread: WWE Cyber Sunday 2006 Review

Cyber Sunday WWE Cyber Sunday 2006 Review

Cyber Sunday
    November 5, 2006

The annual PPV where you, the WWE Universe, vote on what you want to see!

Umaga vs Kane
    The choices for Umaga’s opponents were Kane, Chris Benoit (US Champion), and The Sandman. Even though Benoit sounds like a way more interesting opponent, since Umaga’s undefeated, it’s safe to say Benoit would just have to put Umaga over. I imagine Kane won because he had just been involved in a short program with the Samoan. At this point, I have no idea if Kane is a Raw or Smackdown wrestler. I know he jumped from Raw to Smackdown around this time period. Umaga ended up dominating this match, easily destroying Kane for the majority of it all. It’s surprisingly not bad though. Kane would make a brief comeback, after missing a Samoan Spike and hitting the ring post instead, at the end to add a bit of suspense to it all. Umaga would regain the advantage by counting a top rope strike by Kane and instead delivering an uppercut. Umaga followed that up with the Samoan Spike for the victory. This was fine. ** ¼

Backstage, Queen Sharmell approaches ECW Champion, The Big Show, to try and form an alliance with World Heavyweight Champion King Booker in the triple threat match with WWE Champion John Cena. The idea is if the fans vote for either the ECW or WHT to be defended, Show and Booker would team up to ensure that the champion retains the title. If the fans vote for the WWE Title, then it’s every man for themselves. Show ends up declining though.

Redneck Wrecking Crew vs Cryme Tyme vs The Highlanders vs Charlie Haas and Viscera
    Ugh. What a “Special” PPV match this is. The three choices for this match were: fatal four-way tag match, Texas tornado tag match, or a tag team turmoil match. What shit options! The fans end up voting for a Texas tornado match, which ends up being the worst possible choice since it means there won’t be a story and it’s just mindless action. Absolutely nothing worthwhile to talk about in this match. It’s mostly just two guys in the ring while everyone else battles on the outside. The finish sees Murdoch/Cade hit the High/Low on a member of the Highlanders, but Cryme Tyme steals the victory by tossing Redneck Wrecking Crew out of the ring and covering the Highlander. Pure time filler. Not good either. * ½

Backstage, we get to witness one of the very few legitimately good DX 2006 segments. After Triple H informs Shawn Michaels that no one considers them to be controversial anymore, Michaels tries to prove that they are by super kicking everyone in sight.

Jeff Hardy © vs Carlito - WWE IC Title
    The choices for Hardy’s opponents were Carlito, Johnny Nitro, and Shelton Benjamin. Naturally, the fans voted for the one face over the two heels. These choices so far tonight are such bullshit. Speaking of bullshit, the chemistry between these two was completely non-existent. It’s legitimately awful. They’re botching spots and making other spots look awkward and/or looking ineffective. Multiple times in the match, the commentators are forced to bring up how “He didn’t get all of that!” By the halfway point in the match, a story is able to develop as Carlito counter’s Hardy’s dropkick in the corner by getting two boots into Hardy’s chest. What follows is a dull segment where Carlito focuses on the midsection. It may be boring, but it’s a story, at least. This was during the time period where Carlito was adding flips for the sake of doing flips, and although it was fun to play him in the Smackdown vs Raw 2007 video game, they looked really poor in this match. I honestly don’t know who was looking worse in this match. Hardy, who went at a snail’s pace or Carlito, who seemed to be the one who was always a step behind. Hardy would make a comeback, causing the fans to get very much so into the match. Why? By their reactions, you would think that this was some great match. Hardy would win after blocking a top rope Frankensteiner by Carlito, that looked like garbage, and then hitting the Swanton Bomb to retain the title. Back in 2006, I couldn’t understand why WWE officials were reportedly refusing to give Carlito a proper push, but I see it now. * ¾

Is it too late to stop this show and watch something else?

DX vs Rated RKO
    The fans voted on who would be the special guest referee. The choices were Mr. McMahon, The Coach, and Eric Bischoff. Wow, three heel options. How exciting. Bischoff would end up winning. Seriously, why do these voting options on this PPV suck so much? The early going in this was pretty dull. It’s just all punches. Punches by DX. Punches by Rated RKO. Punches, punches, punches. It did pick up once Rated RKO started working over Michaels as the face-in-peril. This continued to gradually improve the longer the match went on. After Bischoff is accidentally speared by Edge, it was the time for everyone to hit their big moves including Orton seemingly having the match won with a RKO, but by time a second referee came out, it was enough time for Hunter to recover and kick out. After Orton is hit with a super kick, DX is screwed out of the victory when Bischoff recovered enough to pull the second referee out and knock him out with a punch. This distraction by Bischoff allowed Rated RKO to get the best of DX with some Orton chair strikes to Hunter in front of Bischoff. A RKO on the chair is enough to pin Triple H. Bischoff was an odd heel referee. He wasn’t completely unbias, but he also didn’t do much to try and screw DX. Even when he pulled the second referee out, you could argue he just isn’t interested in losing his spot as the ref. Maybe it’s because this show has sucked so far, but I liked this well enough. ***

Lita vs Mickie James - WWE Women’s Title
    After Trish Stratus won the Women’s Title from Lita at Unforgiven in her retirement match, a tournament was created with eight women. Not a single match thus far has went even four minutes. The voting options for this match were a lumberjill match, no DQ match, and a submission match. Naturally, the weakest option, the lumberjill match, wins. They’re so annoying too. Constantly shouting shit, whether it makes sense or not. At one point, they can’t even remember what their job is as a couple of Divas are trying to pull Lita OUT of the ring. Mickie had a really off night, botching a few big spots including one that caused a nasty face first bump on the ring apron. It’s all up to Lita to carry the match and she does manage to hit some nice looking moves including a snap suplex and the match ending DDT. Lita would win after a couple of the heel Divas distracted Mickie, allowing Lita to surprise James with the DDT to become the NEW WWE Women’s Champion. This was one of those matches where it made it very difficult to believe that the WWE fans could ever treat women wrestling as something that mattered. ¾ *

Backstage, Kenny berates the rest of the Spirit Squad since the group (Not him of course) has been losing so much lately. Johnny, is having none of it and Kenny and Johnny get in a shoving match before the rest of the Spirit Squad calms tensions. Kenny then hypes Mikey up for their upcoming tag titles match. Who did Johnny piss off? As we near the end of the Spirit Squad run, it seemed obvious that while Kenny would break out as a singles heel, but that Johnny would also receive a babyface push. Instead, after the Spirit Squad was sent back to OVW following Survivor Series, all Johnny would do is return for one battle royal on Raw and that was it.

Kenny and Mikey © w/The Spirit Squad vs Ric Flair and Roddy Piper w/Dusty Rhodes and Sgt. Slaughter - World Tag Titles
    The fans voted on who would be Flair’s partner in this title match with the choices being Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes, and Sgt. Slaughter. Even though Piper won the vote, Slaughter and Rhodes are still at ringside. Have I mentioned how much I hate the voting on this show? Surprisingly, this wasn’t terrible. Flair looked good enough and the Spirit Squad handled themselves well (Always loved Kenny’s top rope leg drop). While Piper was clearly out of shape, he could still entertain with some antics. The whole thing just felt like a Raw match though as Flair would trap Mikey in the Figure Four and force him to submit to crown NEW World Tag Champions. ** ¼

Backstage, King Booker and Queen Sharmell approach John Cena, trying to create the same alliance that Sharmell failed to make with The Big Show. Cena agrees on the condition that he gets one night alone with Sharmell. Sharmell starts ranting at Cena, causing King Booker to make her leave. With her gone, King Booker then agrees to the deal, only for Cena to admit that he just wanted to hear what Booker would do. “That’s your wife!” The segment ends with Cena and Booker rejoining Cena with Cena listing off the things that Booker agreed to including Sharmell, Jim Duggan’s 2x4, Finlay’s midget, ect. Behind only the DX backstage segment, this was the best thing about this PPV.

King Booker © w/Queen Sharmell vs The Big Show vs John Cena - World Heavyweight Title
    Another meaningless vote allowed the fans to decide which World Title would be defended in this triple threat. They ended up choosing the WHT obviously. Unless a new champion would be crowned (Spoiler: that didn’t happen) all three choices were lame. It’s such a meaningless vote. This match was all about The Big Show though. He was awesome. Since it’s a triple threat, the WWE obviously doesn’t allow all three men to wrestle at the same time, so it’s just a never ending series of one-on-one battles. In the early going, Show destroys Cena and then Booker. After Show is put out of action by being tripped into the steel steps, his absence is felt. The action between Cena and Booker just isn’t anywhere near as entertaining. Frankly, it feels as if Show was out of the ring for half of the match. Sure, he went into the steps, but he’s the Big f’n Show! He’s gone for so long that even Jim Ross is forced to bring up that he may need medical assistance. Once Show does finally return, things get great again starting with a missile dropkick doomsday with Booker giving Show a missile drop kick that sent Cena down to the mat in a Show electric chair in order to hurt both men. Even the greatness of the Big Show isn’t enough to save the finish as Cena has the match seemingly won only for...Kevin “K-Fed” Federline to run in and attack Cena. The distraction allows Booker to grab his WHT and knock Cena out with it to steal the victory. The WWE dedicated a PPV ending on K-Fed. K-FED! This D-List celebrity went back into obscurity just months later due to his split from Britney Spears. What a fucking waste. Speaking of waste, this added stipulation of the WHT being on the line was also a waste. Take away the Big Show and I wouldn’t have liked a thing about this match. ** ¾

Overall
    When it comes to going back and watching a PPV that I had never watched or had only watched a couple matches from, it’s always a big question mark. Will I end up liking it or will it be a dumpster fire? Coming a few weeks after Smackdown’s PPV offering of No Mercy (Awful on paper, but ended up being great), Raw delivered what could have very well been the worst PPV of the year had December to Dismember not happened. I complained about it throughout the review, but the voting for each match was pointless. I can say with 100% certainty that the WWE didn’t rig any of the results because, why would they? Did it really matter if the women fought in a no DQ match, if the tag match was a tag turmoil match, or that the WWE Title had been on the line? As bad as the voting aspect of the show was, the actual matches didn’t deliver at all. The matches ranged from awful to “Just good”. The MOTN isn’t even anything overly special. By contrast, every match from No Mercy, with the exception of MVP vs Marty Garner, was better than every match on this show. Cyber Sunday 2006 sucked. A night filled with bad matches made even worse with pointless polls. Skip the matches and just watch the backstage segments with DX and Cena/Booker/Sharmell.

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WWE Cyber Sunday 2006 Review

I would watch ppvs back then at a place that had huge screens and all you had to do was pay 5 bucks. I watched this piece of shit, and my God what a waste of 5 dollars.

The only decent thing on this to me was Dx vs Rated RKO.

Brick Shithouse

Status

I agree with you, this show really sucked.

The main event is hilarious though. Big Show is such a mess physically that he spends about 75% of the match sidelined (and he did the same at Unforgiven, Survivor Series AND December to Dismember as well). Your ECW Champion everyone. So Booker and Cena have to have a standard match, neither of them particularly good at carrying anyone at this point in their career, and its topped off with a K-Fed interference. Just a wrestlecrap-worthy main event.

Fun fact, the guy Stan, who Shawn Michaels kicked backstage was none other than Tye Dillinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    The main event is hilarious though. Big Show is such a mess physically that he spends about 75% of the match sidelined (and he did the same at Unforgiven, Survivor Series AND December to Dismember as well). Your ECW Champion everyone. So Booker and Cena have to have a standard match, neither of them particularly good at carrying anyone at this point in their career, and its topped off with a K-Fed interference. Just a wrestlecrap-worthy main event.
    It is pretty questionable for why Show, easily in the worst shape of his career, was rewarded with one of his more successful years in the WWE.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It is pretty questionable for why Show, easily in the worst shape of his career, was rewarded with one of his more successful years in the WWE.
    Wasn't this suppose to be his retirement year so they decided to reward him?
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

I remember the D-X vs Rated RKO and World Championship matches and voting stipulations, I had long forgot about the rest, and yes all of the voting options SUCKED! I actually remember voting for this and remember what I was thinking when voting, more than any other Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday. I remember thinking that all of the special referee choices were guys who were not only all heels, but all willing to screw over D-X. And with the main event, I was still a big fan of Cena at the time, and I chose to vote for his title to be on the line knowing that no matter which title won the vote, the defending champion would win the match, and so I figured if Cena's title was on the line, he would win.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

Thread Information