Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WC's Saturday Night Main Event - Shinsuke Nakamura Vs Kota Ibushi WK9

GET THESE HANDS

Status
      Country                    England

Saturday's Night Main Event WC's Saturday Night Main Event - Shinsuke Nakamura Vs Kota Ibushi WK9

WC's Saturday Night Main Event was an idea that Capone came up with almost 6 years (~!) ago where someone picks a match for the rest of the forum to watch and we discuss it. The idea behind it is to encourage people to take 15-30 minutes out of their week and broaden their wrestling knowledge and tastes by watching something they haven't seen before or haven't seen in a long time and want to talk about. I've always thought it was a great idea and was the starting point for me exploring other corners of wrestling that I had previously overlooked; so after 6 years, I'm bringing it back. We used to have this voting system that sort of slowed things down and probably killed some interest in the concept where a member would pick 5 matches and we'd choose which match to review, or pick 5 promotions to vote on etc. I think that's complicating things and I propose we just have a rota/form an orderly queue and one member picks whatever match they want, then the next week another member gets to pick and so on. Just post in the thread whether you want to host the following week's thread.

Anway, onto this week

I did initially plan to kick start this revival with a WWE match to attract as many people as possible, but then I figured it's Dome Show week and interest in NJPW on the forum is at an all time high so I figured I'd recommend a match to watch from their recent history that I thought was excellent. I went with a match between two guys who should be familiar to people who don't even watch New Japan what with Ibushi's exploits in the Cruiserweight Classic and Nakamura now being signed to WWE for the past 2 years. This was the semi main event from Wrestle Kingdom 9 for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship, the title that Nakamura will forever be synonymous with and the match was highly anticipated after they had an incredible match in the G1 Climax tournament the previous year.

Boy was I glad to wake up and see Necro's posting of the video didn't attract too many comments I'll post my thoughts on the match later today.

Show Off

Status

Re: WC's Saturday Night Main Event - Shinsuke Nakamura Vs Kota Ibushi WK9

Will watch later on, but I'm definitely up for hosting one in the future.

Never seen this match but familiar with both men so will be interesting.

[Infinite Warfare]

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Will watch later on, but I'm definitely up for hosting one in the future.
    Same.

I'll definitely participate with this, a nice easy goal of one match a week would be good for me. My main request from people is variety!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Rusev Day Smod

Status

Snap as well, I'm up for participating, will watch this and give you my thoughts tomorrow most likely when I'll be on here all day doing the BTB awards.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I can host eventually.

Best match of that show.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

GET THESE HANDS

Status

In my unpublished 2015 Top 100 matches list, I believe I had Tanahashi/Okada at #1 and Nakamura/Ibushi at #2, so this was a high quality final two matches to WK9.

The first thing that stands out to me 3 years on watching this match is Shinsuke's entrance. This was the WK where GFW were involved in hosting the US stream of the show (Jeff Jarrett teamed with Bullet Club earlier in the evening) as the promotion was growing in popularity with western fans and the #1 attraction to them was Shinsuke Nakamura. JR did commentary for the event for GFW, and was probably baffled by the eccentric superstar. The King of Strong Style couldn't of looked more of a star on this night with his royal entrance and his crown. I miss his old music, subconcious.

As his WWE run has proved, Nakamura is very prone to having 'meh' matches when he isn't 'on it' or motivated, but there could be no accusations of that here, he was fucking on it for one of the best matches of his career. The story of the match is all about Kota Ibushi, back from his concussion, looking to step up and really cement that step up from junior heavyweight to heavyweight and prove that this pretty boy high flyer is on Nakamura's level. He took the strikes, chops and kicks to the King of Strong Style and more than held his own. Where this match really takes off for me is when Ibushi starts getting cocky and imitates Shinsuke, hitting him with his own Boma Ye, and that causing Shinsuke to get really pissed off, kicking out at one and taking the fight right too this fucking punk. My jaw dropped watching live when Kota did the middle rope german suplex spot. The last 5 minutes are fantastic and eventually experience wins out with Shinsuke retaining his title. Great, great match.

I'm certain the long term plan here was for Ibushi to one day beat Nakamura and it to be a big moment that brought Kota closer to being a main eventer, but through Nakamura leaving for WWE that obviously is not going to happen any time soon. I love that Ibushi called back to this match in the recent 2017 match with Hiroshi Tanahashi to give it more significance.

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

I'm game to partake of this venture. I shall give my comments on the match in the next day or so. I've watched it before and remember not being very impressed. It wasn't that I thought it was a bad match; I just wasn't blown away with it.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Status

Well I literally just watched this match. Was really incredible to see, and as a mainly WWE fan prior it's shocking how little WWE gives Nakamura. With WWE though I can how they are trying to balance great wrestling with producing 5 hours of tv a week.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Just watched the match and it was...

The match was great. Looking at his current WWE run, you forget how good Shinsuke Nakamura can be. Took me 30 seconds to mark out to his entrance, so great. Ibushi's facials are great. The story was great. But I'll tell you what isn't great, JR. He got on my nerves so much in this match, at one point he forget the name of the company!!!! Matt Striker was levels above him. Really should've listened to the Japaneses commentary. Anyway, spot of the match was Nakamura pushing Red Shoes into Kota so Nakamura would hit Ibushi with a closed fist which is illegal (THE RULES) but Red Shoes couldn't see it. Great.
    Last edited by MC 16; 01-06-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Spoiler:

Show Off

Status

Kota Ibushi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura – Wrestle Kingdom 9

I struggled to get into the early going, some decent back and forths but nothing very engaging - I'd probably attest that to not being familiar with the backstory to it. However after Nakamura’s control section and Ibushi gets in some offence the match picks up a lot. Ibushi has some stunning offence. I mean it's not just stunning, it's maybe some of the most visually pleasing offence I've ever seen watching wrestling. And that seemed to me to be the story of the middle portion of the match: Ibushi has all these big extravagant moves that he can use and Nakamura just survives it all.

The best compliment I can give this match is that it just gets better and better as the match rolls along. So while I wasn’t totally into it to start, I ended up loving it. After Ibushi had his chance to shine and control the match, it moves to a back-and-forth contest. I loved Nakamura’s viciousness, specifically when Ibushi was caught in the ropes and Nak repeatedly smashes his head in. I thought the aggression they both showed down the stretch, the competitive rivalry they were portraying, and the one-upsmanship, was all superbly done. Some of the strikes were outright nasty and I loved it. By the end it felt like they had both been through a war and Ibushi looked like he belonged with Nakamura.

Between this and his Cruiserweight Classic run, and his ROH matches, I feel like Kota Ibushi is one guy I really need to go back and hunt down more of his matches.

Awesome match, great recommendation and a great start to the SNME again!

****1/2

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I'll give this one a re-watch in the next day or so but I'm pretty sure I ranked it behind Tanahashi/Okada from the same show. As crazy as it sounds, the thing I remember most about this show is Jeff Jarrett bringing Karen out with him for his match.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Movies of 2017~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    Well I literally just watched this match. Was really incredible to see, and as a mainly WWE fan prior it's shocking how little WWE gives Nakamura. With WWE though I can how they are trying to balance great wrestling with producing 5 hours of tv a week.
    this is far from just a wwe thing. Nakamura in Japan has the reputation of a guy who goes hard when he wants, but is extremely lazy and dull other times. Not that WWE books him well either, but yeah, this is his thing. Shows up to big shows/when motivated

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

BLACKHEART

Status

I don’t give the most insightful thoughts, but I’ll still participate in this and give my thoughts the best that I can.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

[Infinite Warfare]

Status
      Country                    UK

Just got done with this.

The thing I love first of all (with limited knowledge of the backstory) is that it subverts my admittedly limited expectations for the match. Kota spent far more time in control as the aggressor than I was expecting, what with Nakamura being the bigger man and having a far more aggressive moveset. I loved how the competitive and aggression increased as the match went on, with Ibushi looking like a man with everything to prove, but in the end it just wasn't enough.

Wish Ibushi would settle down somewhere long enough for people to rate him as high as he should be. Although on the other hand, it's nice to still have a few true "free lancers" out there who could pop up literally anywhere.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Rusev Day Smod

Status

Shinsuke Namamura (c) vs. Kota Ibushi
    IWGP Intercontinental Championship
    WRESTLE KINGDOM 9

First off I don't know any of the story going into this and have never seen Nakamura in New Japan. My only time I have seen him is in WWE and the same went for Ibushi in terms of the Cruiserweight Classic until earlier this week. Watched his match against Cody and loved it at this year's event. Not buying into Nak's entrance music being better but maybe that's because his WWE theme is the first of his themes I have heard. Was an epic entrance for sure though.

Onto the match which was BRUTAL! Loved it when it got going. The first five to 10 minutes felt almost WWE style in both wrestlers feeling each other out and hitting a move here or there but not going all out as that would come in the last 10 minutes. If the first stage of the match went on any longer I would have found it hard to get into but I thought they got the timing here just about right. Ibushi's moonsault using the ring post is damn pretty. The second half of this match was terrific with a lot of the moves being used looking like they legit hurt. Ibushi gave as good as he got though and I actually felt his performance outshone Nakamura overall. The suplex from the outside in looked a bit ropey but the spot was creative enough that I think he got away with it. I felt the finish came a bit suddenly and would have liked another two or three minutes to be honest. Ibushi stealing Nakamura's good vibrations and his finish were great in making the match feel special as well.

For me Ibushi outshone Nakamura but overall this was a superb match. Really want Kota in WWE now but he must be damn pleased he isn't on 205 Live right about now

****1/4
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

I watched this one again and I have the same opinion I did after the first time I saw it. It’s an OK match with some nice mannerisms throughout, but I wasn’t blown away.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status

I am down for everything though admittedly I would probably try to keep any ideas I have for match picks in check knowing this bunch without going too crazy obscure.

As for this match, watching it the 5th time didn't quite have the impact it did the first time but I really loved it. It was my #1 and definitely better than the main event to me which was a great match and the best of the Tana/Okada series, was ultimately similar to a traditional NJPW main event, while this Nak/Ibushi match was different and brought unique things to the table. I said at the time, Nak in Japan was like an Adam Dunn type power hitter who batted .200 but could knock one deep when he does make contact. Nak in WWE with their bad booking and laziness is a .000 hitter with no speed, power, and also leads the league in errors. Like I said, MOTY for that year, and as for the match, I immediately tracked down what I wrote a year later at the time, it brought back some backstory and figured I finally have a reason to post something from our book! So here ya go, people for extended thoughts on why I thought it was so awesome as well as backstory to these two men and the match itself.

Kota Ibushi vs. (c) Shinsuke Nakamura - January 4th (IWGP Intercontinental Title)
    NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9

What happens when you take arguably the two most popular Japanese wrestling stars especially among the Western and English speaking fanbase and put them together for a match? You get the match between Kota Ibushi & Shinsuke Nakamura in the G1 Climax in 2013, taking home the best bout of the year award for that year. What happens if just over a year passes, with one of the participants just coming back from a major concussion, adding both a title being on the line and the stakes being tripled with the anticipated rematch taking place at puroresu's biggest and most popular show of the year? You get the match of the year in this book.

On the surface these two are the polar opposite of what many longtime fans would consider the template for the traditional Japanese wrestling star. From a physique standpoint Nakamura could and has played that role in the past, but in his current incarnation there's little doubt if the man who's look and mannerisms has led to being called by myself, many others, and most recently esteemed broadcaster Yoshi Tatsu a Japanese Michael Jackson walked up to Shinya Hashimoto in 1994 and introduced himself as the "King of Strong Style" the response would be an immediate Spinning Heel Kick. Heck, just judging by who he is now you'd never imagine his previous in-ring persona that would likely get the direct opposite reaction and is the origin of his King of Strong Style nickname. Known as the Black Savior, his goal was to restore true Strong Style to it's former glory, at one point even challenging ousted NJPW & later IGF founder Antonio Inoki for the original IWGP Heavyweight Championship that IGF & Inoki still had possession of. His ultra serious character completely changing to what he's known for among the more general public.

Ibushi hasn't had nearly the shift in his career. His model-esque looks and spectacular high flying abilities led to him being an easy favorite among female fans, helping him be the top draw among the independents in his home promotion DDT (often which saw him wrestling opponents such as a blowup doll, and in bizarre locales like a campsite or even an entire apartment building full of wrestlers, some of which was proudly displayed in the pre-match hype video). His character is largely ho-hum in NJPW in and of itself, with little depth or gimmick beyond him being handsome, a respected high flyer, and a dual representative of both NJPW & DDT. The only man in history with a dual company contract, Ibushi's largely one of the harder working men in Japanese wrestling, facing the grind of working a grueling schedule of main event matches. Regardless of what you think of Ibushi personally or even as a wrestler, you have to respect both the amount of work he does as well as his loyalty to his smaller home promotion DDT. However there is a downside to that as it's taken its toll on Ibushi's physical health, and that played a part into the anticipation of this match, as in July of 2014 Ibushi suffered a shoot concussion in a match with KUSHIDA which not only saw an on the fly loss of his Jr. Heavyweight Title, but ended his G1 Climax run before it even began. In November after a successful IC Title defense, Shinsuke Nakamura cut a promo sayingthat he'd "run through the other cards in the deck including the ace (in reference to his earlier in the year feud with Hiroshi Tanahashi) and that now at Wrestle Kingdom he wanted to face the Joker. Before he could make the obvious challenge to Ryusuke Taguchi as foreshadowing their feud a year later, Ibushi hit the ring out of nowhere to hit a German Suplex, leading to the gauntlet being thrown down and ending with a trademark Nakamura "YeahOh!".

As we all ponder what an Egg Dome match between Nakamura and Taguchi would look like, I want to point out the entrance of Nakamura here. His attire right away made him look like a star on NJPW's biggest night ever to Western fans, though there have been debates aplenty of just what exactly Nakamura was dressed up as, with the crown and opening pose resembling the Statue of Liberty, and the attire itself lending itself to a King of Strong Style definitive look. Ibushi's was much less ambiguous, jumping from under the stage channeling Rey Mysterio circa 2003 and awkwardly walking down Wrestle Kingdom's long aisle. Another great little note that added onto Nakamura's pre-match challenge, putting his epic reign into perspective, as well as just looking cool and being a nifty Easter Egg, was Nakamura's entrance video, listing various opponents of his in the form of playing cards, of which the order was as follows:

Ace of Hearts: Hiroshi Tanahashi
    2 of Spades: Hirooki Goto
    3 of Spades: Karl Anderson
    4 of Hearts: Kazushi Sakuraba
    5 of Diamonds: La Sombra
    6 of Spades: Lance Archer
    7 of Clubs: Davey Boy Smith Jr.
    8 of Diamonds: Shelton "X" Benjamin
    9 of Hearts: Naomichi Marufuji
    10 of Spades: Minoru Suzuki
    Jack of Clubs: Kengo Mashimo
    Queen of Diamonds: Bad Luck Fale
    King of Spades: Katsuyori Shibata
    Joker: Kota Ibushi

I'm unsure what to take from the order besides this being in order of his favorite opponents, but if that's the case one would wonder why Anderson is number 3. Regardless of that, there was no doubt of the big fight feel heading into this match to new fans watching for the first time thanks to JR commentating and GFW, longtime fans of these two Japanese sensations, and even for someone like me who was a noted critic of both guys. The show up to this point could be classified as a bit of a disappointment but after this match alone ended it propelled both men as well as the show itself front and center in all kind of awards categories, and I have to admit I have a hard time believing myself saying this but I think it's true. If you were a first time viewer of Japanese wrestling with Wrestle Kingdom 9, I think you'd probably leave with the impression that Shinsuke Nakamura and Kota Ibushi were the two best wrestlers in the world. I've seen this match (and show) in both Japanese and English and I would say the Japanese broadcasters brought the excitement but this was where JR seemingly finally found his groove and they didn't take away from this at all.

There really weren't as many callbacks to their highly touted 2013 as you'd expect from these two. And they were both supreme matches but the sequel in their series hands down stands alone on it's own two feet and even exceeded it in a lot of ways, but in particular the level of violence and hard hitting was at a much different level here, and it's little surprise to those who watched this match that these two have martial arts experience, Nakamura actually being an MMA Fighter with legitimate potential and Ibushi being a former practitioner of Karate, Kickboxing, and Shoot Boxing, with a bit of their opening standoff being derived from legitimate styles in addition to Nakamura's offense being well done in targeting Ibushi's head after his recent concussion. There are some matches that gain that legitimate violence marker and there are many that simply have exciting moves, and there are some that have a loud crowd propping them up and there are some that are performed well and crisply, there are some that have an it factor that make them more exciting and there are some that feature excellent storytelling. As this match continued and went along and escalated, it became more and more apparent that this match had all of those things, and the fans were who won. A big part of this was Ibushi proving his worth as a top player, and also constantly mocked Nakamura's signature mannerisms almost creating a little brother to big brother effect, a highlight of which is when Ibushi got Nakamura into the corner and stealing his "Nakamura Shake" foot choke which led to Nakamura firing up and giving it right back. It would be impossible to describe everything that happened in between all this but the payoff to that had to be one of my favorite sequences of moves, as Ibushi mocked Nakamura's signature arm flailing, followed by hitting an absolutely great looking Boma Ye (which actually kind of looked like a lower version of a Busaiku Knee Kick, but just know it looked great) which led to probably the most believable nearfalls for Ibushi in the whole thing. In short order after a brief back and forth (including some brutal straight punches to the back of Nak's head), Nakamura ran at Ibushi for a Boma Ye, which Ibushi countered by jumping up and double stomping Nak into the ground. This is the kinda move that could easily be mistimed, but it was done perfectly here and looked amazing. Speaking of looking amazing, shortly after that, what happened next had to be the two most memorable moments of this epic. First off Nakamura found himself positioned standing on the apron dazed and facing the crowd. Ibushi sensing it was time to do what he's well known for, pulling something out of his ass. He did something even I had never seen before, hitting a Springboard German Suplex to the awe of everyone for another brilliant nearfall. Then Nakamura fired up one more time and that led to more greatness, with vicious ground and pound strikes from the King, and then a jumping knee from the middle turnbuckle that Ibushi rolled through and started laughing and smiling! Even watching this the third time I nearly jumped out of my seat at how awesome this was. This wasn't the kind of smile that was forged of happiness, this was the smile that was of a man who'd been through some crazy shit that was trying to convince himself he was okay more than anyone else. You knew the end was near for one of them when they charged forward at each other, both going for the same Boma Ye and both blocking each other. The damage was done though, and Nakamura put the younger Ibushi back in his place with a Landslide and one last Boma Ye to get the win and keep his title.

After the match the crowd went wild, they fist bumped, Nakamura said YeahOh, and all was right with the world. On the English feed things certainly weren't as loud as the Japanese feed or some of JR's greatest calls, but the emotion was real when he professed how happy he was to make the trip to Japan and how he was honored to call a match featuring the "Hell of a wrestler right there" Nakamura.

It's hard to throw enough positive adjectives on this match but there's one thing to say for sure. You need to see this match. It stands the test of time as a highlight of both men's careers to this day and will stand out as a must see match to people unfamiliar to Nakamura's work in Japan and a major reason why his popularity is so high among audiences in a variety of languages and ethnic backgrounds, and though neither man could top this and regarded by many ended the year with a whimper rather than a bang (especially Ibushi who again was sidelined for months on end with a serious injury) but, nobody can take away their performance in the Tokyo Dome that fateful night, that brought us all one of the best matches we've seen in years.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

GET THESE HANDS

Status

I was gonna encourage you to post your review from the never to be completed or released ebook, Zero

Show Off

Status

Man, I think I need to retire from analysing matches after that post, Zero. Puts me to shame!

Great post.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Canada

Wow
    Nakamura was a completely different wrestler in New Japan
    In the WWE for the most part he is just there and rarely stands out
    I Wonder if he will return to New Japan when his current WWE Contract ends.

Thread Information