Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

  1. #1
    Rusev Day Smod
    Luka Smodric's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    13,312
    Rep Power
    331765
      Country                    England

    Royal Rumble Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn



    Quote Originally Posted by WWE.com
    There is certainly a line between honor and hubris, and WWE Champion AJ Styles is straddling it. After losing non-title singles matches to Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn on the Dec. 26 and Jan. 2 editions of SmackDown LIVE, respectively, thanks in large part due to interference in both bouts, The Phenomenal One took drastic action, and, in a moment of frustration, challenged his foes to a 2-on-1 Handicap Match!

    SmackDown LIVE General Manager Daniel Bryan thought it was a brilliant idea, not only making the Handicap Match official, but announcing that the WWE Title Match would happen at Royal Rumble, much to the shock of all parties involved, including SmackDown LIVE Commissioner Shane McMahon.

    Will Styles add to his incredible legacy by overcoming such a daunting challenge to retain the WWE Title at Royal Rumble? Or will Owens & Zayn continue to run roughshod over Team Blue by benefitting from their numbers advantage and add the WWE Championship to their arsenal?

    Find out at Royal Rumble, streaming live on WWE Network on Sunday, Jan. 28, at a special start time of 7 ET/4 PT.
    Last edited by Luka Smodric; 01-23-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision





    Spoiler:














  2. #2
    Mid-Card Champion
    Tommy Thunder's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    878
    Rep Power
    27797
      Country                    Wales

    Re: Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

    Don't get why they've made this a handicap match, why not just a triple threat? Are they that opposed to just giving Zayn an outright shot at the title?

    In any case I see AJ retaining as I feel that he's dead cert to carry the title to Mania now so that we can get him vs Cena or Nakamura.

  3. #3
    Sky Blue Hyper Technican

    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Nippon Budokan
    Posts
    4,923
    Rep Power
    274046
      Country                    England

    Re: Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

    Dissension!!!!! It's apart of Shane McMahon's plans to get them to turn on each other (ughh). they won't but it will lead to them disagreeing a failing to beat AJ and AJ eventually captivating and pinning Zayn.
    Spoiler:


    Milano Forever!

  4. #4
    Friendship King

    Smooth Jazz Wolf's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Pillow Fort
    Posts
    5,818
    Rep Power
    254550
      Country                    Australia

    Re: Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

    It's a handicap match because AJ Styles suggested it and Daniel Bryan obliged. Don't need to look too far into it bud.

    On the surface it looks like it favour Owens/Zayn, due to it being a handicap match and they have the DAMN NUMBERS GAME, but since it isn't a triple threat it also means, say, Owens can't lie down for Zayn, or Zayn can't get a surprise roll-up on Owens, which I'm sure would be teased if it was a normal triple threat. The winning pin must involve AJ Styles, which mathematically speaking kinda improves his odds from it being a regular triple threat, albeit in a roundabout 'kind of a plus if you look at it sideways' sort of way.

    So yeah expect some sort of dissension tease as Zayn & Owens politely discuss which of them should pin AJ, only for them to settle it amicably as best friends and allow the other to pin AJ.

    Alternatively expect them to decide to pin AJ together and this happens
    Spoiler:



  5. #5
    Mid-Card Champion
    Tommy Thunder's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    878
    Rep Power
    27797
      Country                    Wales

    Re: Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    It's a handicap match because AJ Styles suggested it and Daniel Bryan obliged. Don't need to look too far into it bud.

    On the surface it looks like it favour Owens/Zayn, due to it being a handicap match and they have the DAMN NUMBERS GAME, but since it isn't a triple threat it also means, say, Owens can't lie down for Zayn, or Zayn can't get a surprise roll-up on Owens, which I'm sure would be teased if it was a normal triple threat. The winning pin must involve AJ Styles, which mathematically speaking kinda improves his odds from it being a regular triple threat, albeit in a roundabout 'kind of a plus if you look at it sideways' sort of way.

    So yeah expect some sort of dissension tease as Zayn & Owens politely discuss which of them should pin AJ, only for them to settle it amicably as best friends and allow the other to pin AJ.

    Alternatively expect them to decide to pin AJ together and this happens
    Spoiler:


    Yes, thank you captain obvious. Lol.
    But how is that any different from it just being a triple threat? It's still a handicap match since 2 of the people in the match are friends/a team. I'm questioning that. Not why both Owens and Zayn are in the match. It just seems like a hockey way to take away a straight up title shot from Zayn to me.

  6. #6
    YES! YES! YES!

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    32,067
    Rep Power
    1124117
      Country                    England

    Re: Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

    Imagine telling yourself 10 years ago that American Dragon would get one over on a McMahon by signing off WWE Champion AJ Styles to defend against Kevin Steen and El Generico at the Royal Rumble in a handicap match.

    I have zero interest in this match because of A) It's Kevin Owens and B) Authority figures tension~

  7. #7
    Be Prepared For Hell
    Ant's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Blackpool
    Posts
    597
    Rep Power
    4346

    Re: Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

    Like Ed, i'd be much more interested in this match if it was AJ vs Sami in a 30 minute Iron Man match. But i cannot stand Owens either.

  8. #8
    Crotchety Old SMOD

    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Wing Kong Exchange
    Posts
    26,600
    Rep Power
    826002
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I have zero interest in this match because of A) It's Kevin Owens and B) Authority figures tension~
    I'm not as down on Owens as you are but I do want to mention something that relates to both of these points. Here in Canada we've got a wrestling talk show called Aftermath that airs every week before SmackDown which currently features former Superstar Santino Marella, former referee Jimmy Korderas and some nerd that hosts. Renee actually used to be a host way back in the day and then they had another hot chick but she left because she's too hot to talk about wrestling.

    Anyhow, during last week's show they were going on about how they think this current Shane/Owens thing is helping to turn Owens into the next Steve Austin and I legit spit out my drink because of how ridiculous that sounded.


    Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

    Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars~!

    ​​​



    Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass








  9. #9
    [Your Name]
    Postman Dave's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Amestris
    Posts
    7,446
    Rep Power
    289454
      Country                    Germany

    Re: Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

    I don't like the handicap stip purely as a story device. All the handicap match is is a glorified three-way dance where Steenerico (we need an up-to-date tag name for these fellas BTW) look like fools if they can't win a match with the numbers advantage. You can still do the tension & dissension with a triple threat and the duo don't look half as shit when they fail to win.


    I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.




  10. #10
    Rusev Day Smod
    Luka Smodric's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    13,312
    Rep Power
    331765
      Country                    England

    Re: Royal Rumble 2018 - WWE Champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

    Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I don't like the handicap stip purely as a story device. All the handicap match is is a glorified three-way dance where Steenerico (we need an up-to-date tag name for these fellas BTW) look like fools if they can't win a match with the numbers advantage. You can still do the tension & dissension with a triple threat and the duo don't look half as shit when they fail to win.
    They have a new team name.

    The YEP Movement

    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision





    Spoiler:














Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •