Thread: WWE Armageddon 2007 Review

Armageddon WWE Armageddon 2007 Review

Armageddon
    December 16, 2007

MVP © vs Rey Mysterio - WWE US Title
    A thrown together program made out of necessity due to Matt Hardy’s appendix bursting in late November and I feel like Hardy also dealt with an injury around this time as well. Thus far in the program, MVP pinned Mysterio with his feet on the ropes in a non-title match, but Mysterio pinned MVP the following week in a tag match. Despite looking good on paper, this match was pretty disappointing. This was around the time period where Mysterio was getting injured so often and then rushing back earlier than he should, causing his workrate to drop. There were a few clumsy spots including Mysterio botching a springboard. MVP worked over the knee a bit, but not nearly enough to tell a full story. Mysterio did his old spot of diving over the referee to the outside on top of his opponent, but unlike when he did the spot in WCW, it was less diving over the ref and more just sorta flinging himself next to the referee. It’s sad seeing old man Mysterio being unable to perform like he used to. Since MVP wasn’t bringing anything to the table, it was left to Mysterio to try and generate something fun. Although it wasn’t his best performance, Mysterio did managed to hit some fun spots late in the match including a seated senton from the apron to a standing MVP. The finish sees Mysterio and MVP battling on the outside while the referee counts. Mysterio gets back into the ring in time, but realizing that the referee was already at an eight count, MVP opted to drop down from the apron and get himself counted out to retain the title. A cheap way to kick off a PPV. Looking back, I understand why they didn’t have a pinfall since Mysterio is set to enter a WHT program and MVP is going to remain champion, so neither guy could really afford to lose, but then that creates the question of, “Why bother booking this?” If nothing else, add in a guy like Kenny Dykstra for Mysterio to have beaten, but MVP steals the pin instead. I imagine these two could have had a much better match had Mysterio been at 100%. **

CM Punk and Kane vs Mark Henry and Big Daddy V w/Matt Striker
    Punk is your reigning ECW Champion, not that that matters though because the other three are being pushed harder than him, in particular Big Daddy V. This was a part-time program with Punk splitting his time feuding against Henry/V and Miz/Morrison. Although both mens pushes would end up bombing, V and Henry dominated the match, especially when Punk was in the ring. Other than a very short flurry of offense late in the match, Punk was entirely on the defense. It’s slow going and frankly frustrating to watch in not only the WWE’s neglect of Punk, but not even allowing him a chance to put on a good performance with an opponent of minimal skill. Unlike Punk, Kane does manage to get in a bit of offense before he and Henry fight on the outside. Punk heads to the apron for his springboard lariat, but Striker provides just a moment of distraction, allowing V to recover and catch Punk for a Samoan Drop to cleanly pin the ECW Champion. I’m not sure if this is Punk’s worst PPV match, but it seems like it’s a safe bet that it’s his dullest. Nothing of value here. * ¼

Mr. Kennedy vs Shawn Michaels
    Another short, thrown together program. On the night after Survivor Series, Michaels tried to receive another title shot against Randy Orton, but Kennedy interrupted, demanding that it was his turn for a title shot. This led to a quick program between the two, including the one night return of Marty Jannetty to job to Kennedy in a Raw match, allowing for Orton to be freed up to feud with the returning Y2J. Although the set-up to this feud was lazy, the actual PPV match is really good. It’s easily Kennedy’s best WWE match. Right from the start, there’s a fun value as Kennedy is bringing aggression to the match and HBK is matching it. Suddenly, a match that didn’t mean anything suddenly feels like a grudge feud. A story begins to develop as Kennedy works over HBK’s back while Michaels lucks into working over Kennedy’s arm/hand thanks to stomping on Kennedy’s hand on the apron. All throughout the match, Kennedy looks as if he belongs in the ring with one of WWE’s top guys and Michaels isn’t half assing his performance despite not needing to make Kennedy look good. There’s a few great nearfalls and Kennedy narrowly hits the Mic Check, but Michaels countered it by grabbing the top rope. The finish is great as Kennedy makes the mistake of forgetting about his hurt hand, punching Michaels. Kennedy grabs the injured hand in pain, allowing Michaels to knock him out with a surprise Sweet Chin Music. Michaels may have won, and cleanly at that, but Kennedy didn’t look bad in the defeat at all. Kennedy and Michaels would end up having two rematches on Raw before Kennedy got depushed back into being just a midcarder. As customary, Kennedy would sustain another couple of injuries, causing Kennedy to not do much for the remainder of his WWE tenure, despite lasting until Summer ‘09. A surprise hit, this was. *** ¾

Jeff Hardy vs Triple H - #1 Contender’s Match
    The winner challenges for the WWE Title at Royal Rumble. Hardy’s the current IC Champion, but the title isn’t on the line. This is an example of a good story on paper, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The idea is that you have two buddies, one is an experienced main eventer and the other is an underdog that is trying to break through the glass ceiling into the main event. While the underdog struggles to ignore his friendship and instead do anything to achieve successful glass breakage, the established star is frustrated that his buddy isn’t performing like he should. As the match goes on, the underdog slowly does as he should, and takes it to his friend, humoring his established friend, to the point where there’s a massive upset with the underdog actually winning. All of that sounds great in theory, but there’s problems right away. For starters, why is Hardy so concerned with his friendship with Triple H? This friendship is brand new, they have far more experience in being enemies than friends. Hardy’s performance here is also awful. He botched his running of the ring barrier, barely touched Hunter during a Whisper in the Wind, and generally looked slow and sluggish out there. The crowd reaction throughout the match is surprisingly low too. Despite Hardy’s popularity, I suspect the fans had little faith in the Hardy upset, causing them not to be too emotionally invested in the match. Then there’s the big finish with Hardy countering a Pedigree with a jackknife cover for the pinfall. Hunter completely ruins the moment by reacting to this surprise loss by getting a smile on his face and laughing. WTF? Way to downplay the loss. This wasn’t just some exhibition bout, this was a #1 contender’s match with the winner challenging one of Triple H’s biggest rivals. This is the same Triple H that is so obsessed with being World Champion that he’s turned his back on multiple friends. The Triple H character does not react in such a manner when he loses a shot at the World Title. While Hunter was clearly the better worker in the match, it’s not as if he was in the mood to carry Hardy. At the time, this match received a lot of praise and I couldn’t understand it then and I still can’t. The basic idea of the story was good, but it failed here. ** ½

The Great Khali w/Ranjin Singh vs Finlay w/Hornswoggle
    It was back at Survivor Series 2007 that Finlay turned face by saving Hornswoggle during a Khali/Hornswoggle match. There’s not much to say about this match. Khali spends the majority of the duration destroying Finlay. When Finlay’s able to bump for Khali, it’s entertaining, but even that ends up being too much work for Khali, so he takes it easy with a long nerve hold, that isn’t entertaining. The ending sees Finlay attempting to use the shillelagh against Khali, but Khali easily swats it away. While the referee is busy removing the shillelagh from the ring, Hornswoggle sneaks into the ring and gives Khali a low blow with a second shillelagh. Finlay gets the shillelagh and knocks Khali out with it, picking up the surprise upset pinfall. Seriously, Finlay just pinned The Great f’n Khali on PPV, just a few months removed from Khali’s WHT run. It’s a very clear indication that Khali is finally being depushed because up to this point, the only men that had defeated Khali on PPV were Batista and John Cena. Even the Undertaker failed to beat Khali on PPV! Finlay tried to save this match with his bumping, but there wasn’t anything he could have done. * ¾

Randy Orton © vs Chris Jericho - WWE World Title
    A few months back, a series of vignettes began playing on WWE TV, asking fans to try and break the code. This led to a lot of speculation online as to what it would mean. I tend to remember most people suspecting that it had something to do with a Chris Jericho return, who hadn’t been seen on WWE TV since the summer of 2005. On the night after Survivor Series, the code was indeed revealed to be the return of Jericho who immediately claimed he had returned to save us from Randy Orton. If his goal was to help Orton to have good matches, Jericho failed right away. This ended up being a pretty disappointing match, not just for the fact that it’s Jericho’s first PPV since Summerslam 2005, but also the booking left a lot to be desired. Jericho showed early promise by concentrating on the ribs of Orton, but once Orton took over, it was your standard slow and plodding style that Orton was doing in all of his matches then. There’s plenty of side chin locks and the pace is far too slow. To no surprise, once Jericho made his comeback, things picked up. There’s even a fun spot where Jericho countered a RKO by launching Orton onto this back and then hitting a Lionsault for a nearfall. The fans actually bought into the idea that that could be the finish even though Jericho has practically never beaten anyone ever with that move. Fighting on the outside is where the big angle coming out of the match occurs with Orton sending Jericho flying into the Smackdown commentators table. Smackdown color commentator, JBL, is visible annoyed by this, making matters worse when Jericho gives him a light push so Jericho could get out from behind the table. The action heads back into the ring with Jericho eventually locking in the Walls of Jericho, but right before Orton could tap out, JBL rushes into the ring and delivers a big boot to Jericho’s head for the DQ. This finish sucks. For starters, barely anything even happened to JBL. It doesn’t make sense for him to be so upset. Orton, despite still being a new champion, doesn’t gain a single thing from this match. Jericho’s first PPV back ends in such an unremarkable way that devalues what should have been a big deal for him. What was supposed to be Jericho’s big grudge feud against Orton is already over and for what? The upcoming JBL/Jericho feud would be prematurely killed off, not even making it to Wrestlemania. Garbage booking, but I can’t say Jericho looked bad after being away for 2+ years. ** ¼

After the match, Orton delivers a RKO to Jericho just to be a dick.

Beth Phoenix © vs Mickie James - WWE Women’s Title
    Man, I have such a difficult time remembering any of these PPV women matches starting about now. They all feel so random. Despite that criticism, this wasn’t bad. It’s on the short side, not even lasting five minutes, but they worked hard on this for the time that they had. Beth dominated the early going, making me suspect that this could just end up being a squash match. Mickie would make her comeback, trying to hit as many big moves as possible. Some were successful while others failed. Highlight of the match was Mickie being trapped in a double armed chicken wing for a submission attempt. After Beth countered the Mickie DDT into a delayed Fisherman Buster for the victory. On a disappointing show like this, Phoenix/Mickie is one of the better matches. ** ¾

Batista © vs The Undertaker vs Edge - World Heavyweight Title
    Wrapping up 2007 PPVs with the three men that dominated the Smackdown Title scene. This match really summed up Edge’s Ultimate Oppunitist gimmick. Even at the very start, he’s showing off this character by quickly getting out of the ring and letting Taker and Batista battle it out alone instead. If you break the match down into thirds, Edge wasn’t even involved in the entire third act until the finish. Instead, he hung out on the outside, doing his best to be forgotten. When Taker had Batista locked in the Triangle Choke, Edge grabbed the ring bell and rang it, breaking the fall without having to get inside of the ring. Then there’s the big angle of the match with two fake Edges (The Major Brothers, although after this referred to as The Edgeheads) appearing and quickly being dismantled by Taker and Batista while the real Edge hides out of sight. The brilliant part about this plan is that it’s not just a run-in. In theory, since it’s no DQ, Edge could have had the Edgeheads run in from the start and make it a handicap three-on-one-on-one, but it’s Taker and Batista. They can probably handle that if they know what the plan is. By Edge hiding and allowing the one member of the Edgeheads to be killed and then with that member selling on the outside, having the second member appear, Batista and Taker will just think that they’re easily keeping Edge at bay. All while Edge is being able to rest. The ironic thing is that one of the downfalls of both Taker and Batista is that they were too focused on Edge. In the first half of the match, Taker and Batista are screwing up each other’s moves because they want to be the ones to hurt Edge, not allowing the other to. So time after time, Edge is able to escape punishment solely because these two morons hate Edge so much that they’re not thinking logically. It’s really a great Edge character based match and it’s one where Edge didn’t even have to do much! Other the great Edge misdeeds, it’s a pretty standard triple threat. The finish sees Taker countering a Batista power slam into a Tombstone, but the real Edge jumps into the ring and knocks Taker out with a chair shot and pins Batista to become the NEW WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Seems odd to me to pin the guy that wasn’t hit with a chair, but whatever. A fun way to end an otherwise disappointing PPV. *** ¼

Overall
    It should almost become an unwritten rule that if you have a December PPV, that a World Title must change hands to add a bit of importance on an otherwise unnecessary PPV. On paper, the PPV looked a lot better than it ended up being. The best example being Jeff Hardy vs Triple H. They had some really good to great PPV matches in 2008, but here it’s unsuccessful booking and generally a match where neither guy looked great. If Rey Mysterio hadn’t been dealing with so many injuries around this time period, I would assume that he and MVP would have had a really good hidden gem. Even the Orton/Jericho match looked better on paper since you’d assume the WWE would book Jericho strong in his return match, instead it falls flat due to the booking. It’s not all bad though. If this PPV was loaded with disappointing matches, the one that stood out as being an overachiever was HBK/Kennedy. Many people refer to it as Kennedy’s best WWE match and I can’t say I disagree. This is the sort of match that people expected out of the promising start of Kennedy’s WWE career. The main event is also really fun due to Edge’s antics and the women’s match wasn’t bad. Just be prepared to endure some pretty rough booking most notably in that ECW tag match.

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Re: WWE Armageddon 2007 Review

Another PPV that had been completely wiped from my memory.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Another PPV that had been completely wiped from my memory.

Pretty much. The biggest claim to fame is that it's the final non-HD PPV in WWE history.

Brick Shithouse

Status

I always thought this was a really fun B PPV. I do rate the HHH vs Hardy quite highly, though its not as good as their No Mercy match the following year. Kennedy vs Michaels is excellent, a fantastic performance from Kennedy.

I remember around this time WWE were absolutely obsessed with non-finishes/DQ finishes on PPV (especially in big matches). At No Mercy you had the ECW title match; Orton vs Cena at Unforgiven; Khali vs Batista at Summerslam; Edge vs Batista at Vengeance. They constantly booked themselves into a corner with matches that neither guy could lose. That probably wouldn't be such a bad idea in the Network era where everything is affordable, but this was a time when there were shit loads of PPVs all stupidly priced.

Status
      Country                    United States

I just rewatched this main event recently because Hawkins was on E&C's pod celebrating ten years of the Edgeheads and it was a pretty fun match and, as you noted, great booking for Edge's character. It was great to see both of the Edgeheads dispatched with such ease and those two were great at bumping like madmen for dudes like Taker.

The Jericho match was highly anticipated for me at the time, my favorite wrestler back after two years, and it was pretty disappointing, but he definitely looked good even in defeat. Face, Save_Us, Jericho was just real boring though and he really picked up this run once he swerved on Michaels, as everyone knows.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I remember around this time WWE were absolutely obsessed with non-finishes/DQ finishes on PPV (especially in big matches). At No Mercy you had the ECW title match; Orton vs Cena at Unforgiven; Khali vs Batista at Summerslam; Edge vs Batista at Vengeance. They constantly booked themselves into a corner with matches that neither guy could lose. That probably wouldn't be such a bad idea in the Network era where everything is affordable, but this was a time when there were shit loads of PPVs all stupidly priced.
    If I remember correctly, it was mostly down to the return of monthly joint PPV's and running the same World title matches month after month due to having less time to build between PPVs. They were pretty insistent on both World titles being defended on every PPV for better or worse.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    If I remember correctly, it was mostly down to the return of monthly joint PPV's and running the same World title matches month after month due to having less time to build between PPVs. They were pretty insistent on both World titles being defended on every PPV for better or worse.
    Which doesn't make much sense when you think about it. They did away with brand PPVs earlier in the year due to lack of interest in them, but surely there was enough interest in one World Title defense while the other World Champion is involved in a tag match, ideally against his next PPV challenger.

Thread Information