Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NJPW New Year Dash Thread

Just Justice

Status

NJPW NJPW New Year Dash Thread

The post Mania-I mean Dome show innit? but yeah, I'm buzzing for this. It's gonna be interesting since WK12 seemed like if the promotion were to close right now they couldn't possibly go out on a higher note. Also if anyone could post UK times for it starting that would be great, I actually want to watch it live haha

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Egypt

Re: NJPW New Year Dash Thread

My predictions for the show:
    Honma returns to challenge someone (My gut says Goto but if Tanahashi is taking time off he would be an intriguing follow up champion)
    They run a big faction angle with SZKG challenging another faction in some way
    Naito & Jericho have an interaction to set up a future match
    Kakihara does something awesome
    (Outside possibility: LIJ turns on Naito with EVIL as the new leader)

I wish Ishii would get his well earned title shot due to his victory over Okada in G1 2016 but think it's unlikely.
    Angels in Flight~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

The show starts at 9.30am if you're in the UK. I might give it a miss. Depends how I feel and if I can stay awake until then.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

MC Mitchy D

Status
      Country                    Canada

I'll probably watch it tomorrow after I wake up from my post-work nap if I remember
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I'll be fine Daddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I mean it sounds hot to me. Some people work at Arby's and someone people just want to fuckmurder all night whatever floats your boat

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Really it's more about the angles than the matches and if something cool happens that you can read about/watch online later.
    Angels in Flight~

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Just Justice

Status

I'll still give it a watch live, I'm a NJPW and all round Puro Newbie, like I'd keep up with the companies but I've never actually sat down and watched a full NJPW show since WrestleKingdom 7, and that was because it was on YouTube and I always loved Devitt, so yeah I'd usually just watch matches that stood out, had my favourite guys or that had rave reviews. I wanna start following Puro more often so I'll probably be the one guy here posting how great everything is, then the more experienced guys who know how everything works will be like "fuck up Shaun, it wasn't that cool" haha
    Last edited by Jackie Polo; 01-05-2018 at 02:34 AM.

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

OK, I'm ready to go. We're obviously not getting any killer matches, but as Zero said, Dash is about angles rather than match quality. One presumes that we'll get an idea of Okada's next challenger.

The card is being announced and we've got a lot of multi-man matches. The main event is a LIJ vs. Chaos tag.

One of the matches is Katsuya Kitamura vs. Jay White, in part of a 'best of seven proving series'.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Comments

An OK opener. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanish and Hiroyoshi Tenzan beat up on some young lions. The lions showed some fire and looked good; one of them got some shine on Kojima before being clobbered with a lariat and getting pinned.

One of the matches tonight is NEVER Openweight Six-Man Tag Team Championship match, with Bad Luck Fale, Tanga Loa and Tama Tonga getting a rematch.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

Katsuya Kitamura against Jay White is next. White needs something after not exactly lighting the world on fire last night.
    Last edited by EgoFantastico; 01-05-2018 at 06:04 AM.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

Kitamura got more offence than I expected. White looked OK but that's about it, and I don't think this character is working. I know he's only worked a two matches, but it just doesn't feel like it's connecting.

Next up is Sho and Yoh teaming with Cheeseburger against Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks, so we might get an idea of Omega's next move after this match.
    Last edited by EgoFantastico; 01-05-2018 at 06:13 AM.

BTB of the Year 2012

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I'm a little busy atm but it's a background thing right now and will try to pop in.

Why is Cheeseburger so over In Japan I wonder?
    Angels in Flight~

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

That was so much fun to watch. Cheeseburger is a real cult favourite, and is so great at his role. No post-match angle involving Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Why is Cheeseburger so over In Japan I wonder?
    He can take a beating and he has this underdog charisma.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

The ten-man tag was another fun match. Cody made David Finlay tap out, laid out Juice Robinson with the Cross Rhodes, and went to attack Ibushi with a chair but Kenny Omega ran in to make the save. There was lots of arguing between Kenny and Cody before Cody and the rest of the Bullet Club walked off. Kenny took the mic, talked about the Bullet Club having not been unified for a long time, before calling out Jay White. White came out and Kenny put him over before offering him a Bullet Club t-shirt and inviting him to join the group. White teased it and then put the t-shirt on; they hugged, and White promptly laid Omega out with his finisher. I guess that makes Omega's next big match against White. Chase Owens and Yujiro came out to tend to Omega, but the rest of the Bullet Club were nowhere to be seen.
    Last edited by EgoFantastico; 01-05-2018 at 06:59 AM.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

The six-man tag team title was fine fare but nothing outstanding. Tonga pinned Beretta to take back the six-man titles.

Next up is Hiroshi Tanahashi, War Machine and Michael Elgin vs. Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr. and Killer Elite Squad. After that, it's the main event, with Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto, Will Osprey, YASHI-HASHI and Gedo vs. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, SANADA, Hiromu Takahashi and BUSHI.

BTB of the Year 2012

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

those 6 man titles are the most meaningless belts around today.

Frees up Ishii to go after Okada tho.....

I like Zero’s idea that Naito might be turned on in the main event.

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

Davey Boy Smith Jr. pinned Hanson to win the match. Post-match saw Suzuki cause Tanahashi to pass out due to pain with a heel hold of some kind. Suzuki did some mic work before he and the rest of Suzuki-gun put the boots to Tanahashi, with Elgin making the save.

BTB of the Year 2012

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Like half the titles in NJPW are worthless tbf. Really only the IC & Heavy Titles are of note.

Feel like a Naito/LIJ split is the only logical option to explain (really cover for) him losing yesterday. Just doing more of the same would to me feel very flat. Will LMAO if he ends up challenging Goto.
    Angels in Flight~

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    England

Yes. But who would be the leader of LIJ? Sanada? EVIL?
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I literally said EVIL would be the leader although nothing I said actually happened.

SANADA's legit the least charismatic wrestler on the roster. Him vs Okada was robot city. Not a fan of that direction at all.
    Angels in Flight~

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

There were some light boos when Okada’s music hit and when he was introduced. They weren’t loud, but you could still make them out. Okada didn’t get booed during the match, but the fans were firmly behind Naito. The match was OK overall, and turned pretty good at the end. Naito pinned YOSHI-HASHI after the Destino. In the post-match BUSHI laid out Gedo, then Takahashi laid out Ospreay, EVIL laid out Goto, and finally, SANADA laid out Okada. LIJ cleared the ring of bodies. Sanada grabbed the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Naito did post-match mic work. The fans chanted his name. Naito brought up the Tokyo Dome, and the segment ended with LIJ touching fists before leaving Naito to bask in the spotlight…and then Chris Jericho hit the ring to attack Naito! Young boys and others hit the ring to break them up, with Naito and Jericho repeatedly breaking free to resume going after each other.

Jericho was eventually led away, all the while swearing and shouting and throwing stuff around. Naito grabbed a chair and teased throwing it out the ring at Jericho, but instead he just put it down and sat on it. Jericho was smirking as he was led into the back.

A post-event interview from SANADA, who still had the IWGP title belt, seemed to indicate that he is next for Okada.

Overall, Dash was a good show.

BTB of the Year 2012

Thread Information