Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2017 WC Indy/Puro/Lucha Fave Five!

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: The 2017 WC Indy/Puro/Lucha Fave Five!

Chuck was more of a sentimental pick this year. Dude's been a favourite for years and I felt this past year more than any other he deserved some love.

Sully's Boner

Status
      Country                    Australia

Actually surprised I was the only person who voted Ospreay
    The Bee's Knees, The Cat's Pajamas and The Whole Shebang (-_•)

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Starr and Janela circled around my list a lot. Glad they got love.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gargabones View Post
    Actually surprised I was the only person who voted Ospreay
    Maybe people are starting to think him a tad overrated...

Nice to see Janela make someone's list. I haven't seen enough to justify putting him on mine, but I was at Joey Janela's Spring Break and it is one of my fondest wrestling memories so kudos to the guy. Though I am still a bit disappointed that his match with Marty Jannetty wasn't the main event, it felt much bigger and grandiose than Riddle vs Severn.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Ospreay took a few steps back in 2017. I feel like I can skip half of his work (especially New Japan) and his heel stuff early in the year didn’t click.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status

David Starr is great, especially so in wXw. Seek out his work with Walter if you haven't. Really coming into his own with promos too with this recent Massive Product split and feud with Jurn.

Joshi is whatever, total blindspot for me in 2017.

I enjoyed Son of Havoc in LU when I still cared about that TV show. Surprised it hasn't really led to anything bigger for Cross, not really an in demand worker in the bigger indies.

Chuck had a tremendous year really. He was someone I really didn't like before and I wrote him off as a goofy comedy wrestler who was just never gonna be up my ally, but when the time was right last year, he toned down the comedy for the significant matches. Best Friends were a great team last year and it was cool that their hard work in ROH paid off with Chuck getting a tour with New Japan in December. The ZSJ title match in PWG where Chuck wins the belt is a really good match and moment.

While I'm not raving about Janela the wrestler, I do like that he's around to give us Spring Break and a true alternative show at Wrestlemania weekend.

Ospreay is weird. There are some matches of his from last year that I think are great, and some that are down right bad. He is trying to put more personality into his matches, especially on the UK side of things, but it isn't always landing. I still think he's a great wrestler and one of the big positives of Ricochet signing with WWE is that I don't have to see Ospreay/Ricochet have another wankfest match for a couple of years. Now he's back in Progress a bit more regularly and the IWGP Jr champ, I think we'll see a better 2018 from him.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

You could argue Chuck carried PWG in 2017. He improved big time last year. I thought about him too because I love seeing him pop up in more places.
    -------
    Spoiler:

MC Mitchy D

Status
      Country                    Canada

Alright lets get the twenty pointers out of the way!

Katsuhiko Nakajima

Listed #4 by MC 16

Naruki Doi

Listed #4 by RainShaker

Jeff Cobb/Matanza Cueto

Listed #4 by Fuji Vice

Hiroyo Matsumoto

Listed #4 by Kairi HoHo

Kota Ibushi

Listed #4 by Ed

Yuji Nagata

Listed #4 by Zero

Joe Coffey

Listed #4 by Jackie Polo

Jonathan Gresham

Listed #4 by Dook Gulak

First off we have Pro Wrestling Noah star Katsuhiko Nakajima who spent most of 2017 as GHC Heavyweight Champion before losing it to Eddie Edwards in August. Dragon Gate legend Naruki Doi makes the list as Shake's #4 and formed the faction MaxiMuM in 2017 while also winning the Open the Triangle Gate Championship twice for his 12th and 13th reigns. Next we have Jeff Cobb AKA Matanza Cueto in LU. Cobb had a very successful 2017, winning the PWG Tag Team Championship with Matt Riddle and also wrestling for promotions such as NJPW and PROGRESS. He's one to watch in 2018. Hiroyo Matsumoto had a Joshi MOTY against Hikaru Shida and won 4 belts in 3 different companies, holding them all at the same time for 4 days (thanks to Zero for the help on this one). Fan favourite Kota Ibushi wrestled as himself and as Tiger Mask W. As Tiger Mask W he lost to Kazuchika Okada at the 45th Anniversary Show and as himself he wrestled in the G1 Climax and unsuccessfully challenged IWGP Intercontinental Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi at Power Struggle. 2017 was an emotional one for Yuji Nagata as he wrestled in his final G1 Climax. Despite losing most of his matches many, including Dave Meltzer, have called him MVP and have said that this was Nagata's best tournament in his career. Scottish wrestler Joe Coffey wrestled his final year with what he called home, ICW, winning his second ICW World Heavyweight Championship in April. Indie regular Jonathan Gresham formed the stable Search and Destroy with Jay White, Chris Sabin, and Alex Shelley. He also became the first Powerbomb.tv Champion and he's another who keeps making a name for himself.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I'm going to explain my Nakajima choice. Whilst he was a bad ace and not a good draw for NOAH, his matches were phenomenal. His match with Kotoge was really good, he got an amazing match out of Brain Cage and it would've been better if not for some botches from Cage. His Eddie Edwards match was really good as well. Sugiura, Kenou, Go Shiozaki. All really great matches.
    Last edited by MC 16; 01-17-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Chuck has always been great when he wants to be, just this year he actually got many more chances to show it. That ZSJ match is close to my top 10. Plus his appearance was the highlight in the Team Janela vs Team Trevor match even as a comedy wrestler he's one of the few that I personally find actually entertaining and good at it. As an all around performer, he's up there for me especially In 2017 where It all finally came together.

Starr was excellent in many different places this year and had a real breakout year. I love what he brings to the table in the ring. Had Jordan Devlin's best match ever too.

Bito had her finest year in a very down year for her company. Io gets a lot of the hype but her, Kagetsu, & Kyona (as well as Mayu when not hurt) brought the quality from Stardom. Shame she retired.

Ryan Kidd's pretty good, hope his foray into Lucha goes well - err...Eli Everfly is also pretty good. Fredo pegged him as a potential breakout candidate for 2018 to me. Look forward to seeing more from him.

Havoc is such a great wrestler in LU, he needs to wrestle in bigger promotions more instead of all these random shots. Dude can go. One of the people LU dropped the ball on.

If there's a worse wrestler on this list than Hana I'll be surprised. Sorry HoHo. She's got a ways to go imo.

That said, to totally do a 180, Yukihi wasn't the best wrestler but her personality and rise to her title match in Ice was so compelling and we'll done. I loved her a lot. Normally I would dislike Ozaki-gun for being horrible and I hate Police but listen...any faction that gets Yukihi and Alex with whips gets a huge bump on my scientific wrestling scale and it brought Maya into top 5 status. Also her match with Risa is one of the best and most surprisingly good Joshi matches of 2017.

Janela definitely is no greater shakes in the ring but he's a strong self-promoter and is someone that used DIY work ethic to get himself over on a level way above his means. Dude is a character. Plus anyone who books Glacier on their show deserves at least a little love.

The Britwres guys as a whole are just so one dimensional there's not a single one I haven't soured on in 2017 outside of perhaps SPPT (mostly just Banks). I liked Ospreay a good amount in 2016 and thought he was pretty great, Ricochet match aside, but man there really just anything to these guys at all in the ring and "character work" is even worse, especially for Ospreay. These guys are legit just wrestling cosplayers at everything they do. I hate him and Scurll in NJPW because it's so glaringly obvious that the NJPW guys are worlds ahead of them. Ospreay is barely above a backyarder at this point. His comical overselling belongs in Tiger Mask W moreso than a real ring, all he does is say fuck one zillion times for no reason, his moveset is awful and how is the Oscutter better than the Lethal Injection. I actually don't even hate him as much as others on Twitter or whatever and think for all his faults he doesn't deserve such vitriol from a bunch of overly liberal assholes all the time but purely in-ring he just sucks. And I was a fan of his. But he really just does. His one positive is I do like Bea at least.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

What was I supposed to do? It's only natural that I'd fall in love...

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Sweet Meat

Status

Everyone needs to love Gresham

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Gresham is fine, but I feel like he’s never better than just “fine”.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

stop watching roh

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    stop watching roh
    It’s not just ROH. I just feel like I’ve never watched a different performer in the seven years or so I’ve watched Gresham and while consistency is key and he’s pretty good, I’ve never been blown away or found him to improve even when he’s getting pushes in CZW or the like.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

you crazy, dude tears it up in beyond especially but also elsewhere

we're gonna fight

Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

hey man no way

I like Gresham, don’t get me wrong.
    -------
    Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    The Britwres guys as a whole are just so one dimensional there's not a single one I haven't soured on in 2017 outside of perhaps SPPT (mostly just Banks). I liked Ospreay a good amount in 2016 and thought he was pretty great, Ricochet match aside, but man there really just anything to these guys at all in the ring and "character work" is even worse, especially for Ospreay. These guys are legit just wrestling cosplayers at everything they do.
    I don't have a problem with not liking Britwres, especially the top stars because I know I've tired of a few of them, but I have to totally disagree with the label of Britwres as a whole being 'one dimensional', I think the scene is more varied in ways other markets aren't and you can find deeper layers to promotions and matches if you look in the right places.

I actually think it's harsh to lump Will in the same boat as Marty because Will still has great matches and matches that are enjoyed by the audience that line his and his promoters pockets. He isn't just a merch pimper.

I take it ZSJ is exempt from this you've soured on every Britwres guy opinion because in the SI top 10 thread you said his 2017 has been better than his lackluster 2016 and you had him at 4th best in the world (under certain criteria)

MC Mitchy D

Status
      Country                    Canada

Now for the thirty pointers!

Kenoh

Listed #3 by RainShaker

Keith Lee

Listed #5 by Jiggy
    Listed #4 by Tennessee Nicky

Fred Yehi

Listed #3 by Fuji Vice

Mayu Iwatani

Listed #3 by MC 16

Toni Storm

Listed #3 by Kairi HoHo

Timothy Thatcher

Listed #3 by Zero

Mark Andrews

Listed #3 by Dook Gulak

Matt Riddle

Listed #3 by The Natural

First off we have current GHC Heavyweight Champion Kenoh. He won the 2017 Global League in November and then proceeded to beat Eddie Edwards last month to win the title. He also won the GHC Tag Team Championship twice last year with Masa Kitamiya in his first reign and Takashi Sugiura in his second reign. If you followed anything non-WWE last year and didn't hear about Keith Lee, you were living under a rock. The extremely agile big man made a huge name for himself wrestling for Evolve and PWG, having a MOTYC with Donovan Dijak in September and winning the WWN Championship from Matt Riddle at Evolve 94. Another one who made a big splash in 2017 was Fred Yehi. Yehi held the FIP World Heavyweight Championship almost the entire calendar year until losing it just over a month ago. His reign ended at 562 days, the longest in the title's history. Yehi is another one to watch and his technical style has caught many eyes. Mayu Iwatani had a very impressive 2017, winning both the Wonder of Stardom Championship and World of Stardom Championship. She probably would have made more lists if she hadn't dislocated her shoulder in September coincidentally against our next entry. Toni Storm had quite the year. She competed in the MYC for WWE which gave her a lot more exposure. She became the first ever Progress Women's Champion in May, having yet to lose the title. And of course she defeated Mayu Iwatani in an unplanned victory for the World of Stardom Championship. Next we have Timothy Thatcher whose record-setting reign with the Evolve Championship ended in February. His stock definitely dropped with many people calling him boring but he's starting to quietly bring it back up wrestling for wXw. He currently is one half of the wXw World Tag Team Champions with WALTER. Our first WWE UK guy to make the list is Mark Andrews. Andrews had some good showings against both Tyler Bate and Pete Dunne in 2017 and unsuccessfully challenged Travis Banks for the Progress Championship. His fast-paced style and exciting charisma has made him a fan favourite wherever he goes. Lastly we have Matt Riddle. Not gonna lie I definitely thought Riddle would make a few more lists and was shocked he didn't but thankfully Natty gave him some love. In 2017 Riddle became the first ever WWN Champion and won the Progress Atlas Championship twice. He is currently one half of the PWG World Tag Team Champions as the Chosen Bros with Jeff Cobb. He is another one making a huge name for himself.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I can’t believe Riddle is so low. He is probably my number six or seven and I left him off because I thought he was going to get a lot of love. I think he had a pretty great 2017. I feel like he’s ready to do something slightly different though in his approach.

I’ll admit it: I fucking love Keith Lee. I understand why some people are critical of him, but I’m very invested in his persona and his swagger. Such a great presence and a really exciting versatile ring style. I wanted either Lee, Riddle, or David Starr to represent my American pick and I just went with who had the content and matches that I enjoyed the most. I enjoyed a laundry list of Lee’s matches, especially the Ishii match.

Thatcher had a much needed solid year after a mega dull 2016. Took a lot of steps in the right direction, Ringkampf helped.

Yehi is great. Andrews is great.

Only really watch Toni Storm in Progress and I do quite like her current Women’s Championship reign.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah Toni Storm had a crazy 2017, with being in the Mae Young Classic Semi-Finals, winning titles in different companies, but she hasn't made me a happy campy not really defending her Red Belt title in Stardom. If this was Ice Ribbon or Sendai Girls, that wouldn't be going down for her to be missing for months and defend it when she wants, damn Rossy lol.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Thread Information