Thread: Hostiles (2017)

Status
      Country                    United States

Hostiles (2017)

Release date: December 22, 2017 (limited)
    Studio: Entertainment Studios
    Director: Scott Cooper
    MPAA Rating: R (for strong violence, and language)
    Screenwriter: N/A
    Starring: Christian Bale, Rosamund Pike, Jesse Plemons, Ben Foster, Adam Beach
    Genre:[/B] Drama, Western

Plot Summary: Fresh from 2015's gangster film Black Mass, director Scott Cooper ("Crazy Heart," "Out of the Furnace") has turned to another venerable American genre, the western, for Hostiles, the raw and compelling tale of an embittered and battle-hardened US Cavalry officer ordered to accompany a Cheyenne war chief and his family back to their tribal lands in Montana. The flinty-eyed Captain Blocker (Christian Bale) has seen more than his fair share of violence and bloodletting on the frontier, but this mission, which he is forced to accept, is a particularly bitter pill to swallow: Chief Yellow Hawk (Wes Studi) has been his mortal enemy for years due to a conflict that killed many of Blocker's friends. The Chief has also lost friends in the conflict.

Setting out through dangerous territory, much of it inhabited by hostile tribes, the small band of soldiers and Cheyenne navigate the beautiful prairies and wilds of the west, while facing a series of challenges. Blocker — much like John Wayne's character in the John Ford classic The Searchers — is a racist, a man who harbours a deep hatred towards the former prisoners now placed in his care. As the challenges mount, Blocker is forced to confront his own bigotry while carrying out his orders. To complicate matters, the ragged party is joined by a stricken widow (Rosamund Pike) who has just seen her family massacred in a raid.

Trailer:

Status

Re: Hostiles (2017)

Love a good Western. Quite impressed that Wes Studi is sharing top billing on the poster - awesome that's getting recognition like that. Good actor. Man, he's looking old though.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

A friend saw this at TIFF and said it was amazing so I'll definitely be giving it a theater watch when it opens here in a week or so.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Horror Comedies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status
      Country                    United States

Can't wait for this one. Though I wasn't big on Black Mass I loved Crazy Heart and Out of the Furnace.

Like Papa, I'm stoked for old Magua sharing top billing.

Bale's best performance was in OotF so I'm hoping Cooper got something comparable out of him in this.

Rosamund "The best part of Die Another Day" Pike is always a welcome addition.

Also, KICKIN' WING
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 01-02-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Spoiler:

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I just saw a Commercial for this Film and my mouth dropped watching it. I really dug Black Mass, one of my favorite comments by Bulger is if no one saw it, it didn't happen and he does it with a smirk that's so evil too. Cooper did his thing in that that film and from what I saw this looks like a huge winner again for him.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Thread Information