Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Country Road Not Taken: Bill Watts vs. Jim Crockett

BTB Legend

Status

Mid-South Wrestling TV – June 27th 1985

Mid-South Wrestling TV – June 27th 1985

00:00 – 00:02 --- The opening sequence of Mid-South Wrestling Television plays out with clips of various wrestlers in action being shown to the backdrop of southern-style rock music. The clips then dissolve into a shot of the Irish McNeil Boys Club where the bleachers and sides are packed with fans, and the shot then cuts to the commentary table where

Jim Ross and ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts are sat ready to provide the commentary for tonight’s action. Ross and Watts run down what we’ll be seeing; we’re going to see Jim Duggan in action, and we’ll have both semi-final matches in the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion

00:02 – 00:04--- Bill Watts and Jim Ross remain at the commentary table, with both men looking very excited. Watts reveals that Mid-South Wrestling and Jim Crockett Promotions have formally entered into a working agreement, a partnership, to oversee the promotion of professional wrestling throughout all of North America. Watt says that as of July 1st, Mid-South Wrestling will officially be rebranded as the Universal Wrestling Federation, which Watts explains is being done in order to reflect the growth that Mid-South Wrestling will be going through as it expands its operations. Ross says he wants to assure the fans that the UWF will remain true to the kind of action they’ve always seen in Mid-South and that absolutely nothing will change in regard to the quality and the style of wrestling the fans are used to. Watts says that there are so many changes coming to professional wrestling and Mid-South, soon to be the UWF, wanted to be at the heart of it, and they will be, with Watts saying there will be many more exciting developments to come.

00:04 – 00:06 --- Tony Anthony comes out as Jim Ross says the first semi-final match in the Mid-South Television title tournament is our first contest of the evening, and Anthony says a few words ahead of his match;

Tony Anthony: “The fairy tale comes to an end tonight, Tom Prichard. You’ve been lucky so far, but lemme tell you something, punk; luck runs out, and your runs out tonight.”

*Anthony walks off towards the ring, and moments later, Tom Prichard come out, and he too comes over to give his comments ahead of the match*

Tom Prichard: “It’s going to be a fight every step of the way, Tony Anthony. You can knock me down, you may keep knocking me down, but keeping me down is another matter.”

*Prichard walks towards the ring, and as soon as Tony Anthony sees him, Anthony begins yelling insults at Prichard, who responds in kind, and Bill Watts says he likes that Prichard is showing some fire*

00:06 – 00:16 ---

Mid-South Wrestling Television Championship Tournament Semi-Final: Tom Prichard vs. Tony Anthony

The match got off to a hot start, with Prichard surprising Anthony with a series of quick cradles and other roll ups; Anthony was able to keep kicking out before finding an opening to back up the ropes, out of Prichard’s grip, and Anthony had a look of complete shock on his face. As the fans cheered loudly, Bill Watts said that Anthony is now finally realizing that the match won’t be the walkover that he clearly thought it would be, that fact doesn’t appear to be something Anthony is handling too well

Anthony response to this turn of events was to slow the pace of the match down, to keep Prichard grounded with wear-down holds, but Prichard was too tricky to keep down for long, and he kept finding a way to thwart Anthony. Anthony grew ever more frustrated as the match developed, especially as the fans kept chanting for Prichard, Jim Ross noting the fans getting behind the young athlete more and more by the week. With the match not going the way he thought it would, Anthony reverted to type, going with more of a pure brawling approach and he started to have more success, and the momentum of the match shifted to where Anthony was more the one in control

But Anthony couldn’t Prichard under control for any extended period and it wasn’t long before Prichard was soon back in the match and once again Anthony was left reeling and looking for another way to deal with Prichard

Spoiler:

In the end, Anthony found it, and it wasn’t to the fans liking as Anthony rolled through a roll up and held Prichard’s tights to keep him down and get the three count. The fans booed at the sudden and unfortunate end to the match, with Anthony immediately exiting the ring upon the referee completing his count.

Bill Watt was critical of Tony Anthony’s tactics, earning a championship match in such a manner, but Watts said that sometimes, when you’re backed into a corner, like Anthony was, you can find yourself doing what you have to in order to win and that is what we saw here tonight. Watts also made the point that Tony Anthony had to cheat to beat Tom Prichard, because he clearly couldn’t do it in a fair manner and that whilst it’s Anthony who goes through to the tournament final, Tom Prichard will have gained a lot of experience here tonight and will be the better man for it.

Result: Tony Anthony pinned Tom Prichard in 9:15 with a roll up and holding the tights

00:16 – 00:20 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:20 – 00:21 --- We’re back at the commentary table when we return from the break. Bill Watts says that the fans in Baton Rouge have been chomping at the bit to find out the main event when Mid-South, soon to be the UWF, returns to the Riverside Centroplex Arena on July 27th, and Watts says that he can now reveal that the main event will see Terry Taylor defend the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Championship against Kamala and it will be a no-disqualification match. Watts then says that both Terry Taylor and Skandor Akbar, speaking for Kamala, had these pre-taped comments concerning their match;

00:21 – 00:22 ---

Terry Taylor: “Skandor Akbar, you got the match you wanted, the match Kamala ‘earned’, and he’s got a shot at the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Championship. But let me tell you something, Akbar; you may think that because the match is No Disqualification, that it puts things in Kamala’s favour, but you’ve put my back against the wall and now you and everyone else is going to find out what Terry Taylor can do when his back’s against the wall and rules are out the window.”

00:22 – 00:23 ---

Skandor Akbar: “You couldn’t run forever, Taylor, and now, you’ve been forced to face the toughest challenge of your title reign.Under No Disqualification rules, that Mid-South North American Heavyweight Championship is as good as Kamala’s, and let me tell the rest of Mid-South something; it won’t be the last gold my stable takes, because my Army is going to see to it that all the gold around here belongs to us.”

00:23 – 00:27 ------COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:27 – 00:29 ---

‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan vs. Brickhouse Brown

We’re back from the break to see Jim Duggan in action, and ‘Hacksaw’ is very fired up. Bill Watts reminds us of what happened last week, and we’ll see video of those events shortly, when Duggan saved ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed who had been attacked by Nord the Barbarian and the One Man Gang after Reed had already been attacked by ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams. Jim Ross said that even someone like Butch Reed can’t fend off that kind of double attack, that no man could, and that it’s a good thing Duggan was there to help out

Spoiler:

As Duggan gets the win after the spear clothesline, Ross says he’ll be interviewing Duggan momentarily to get his thoughts on these recent events.

Result: Jim Duggan pinned Brickhouse Brown in 1:49 after the spear clothesline

00:29 – 00:33 --- We’re back from the break and Jim Ross is with ‘Hacksaw;Jim Duggan, and Duggan looks like he is ready to burst.

Jim Ross: “I am here with an individual who is, quite obviously, very fired up, but before I talk to him we’re going to show you fans at him exactly why ‘Hacksaw’ is so keyed up.”

*We cut video footage from last week, with clips of Butch Reed getting jumped by Steve Williams and laid out with the Oklahoma Stampede. We see Reed getting helped out of the ring, only for Nord the Barbarian and the One Man Gang to hit the scene, bundle Reed back into the ring, and laying Reed out again with a big splash. Thankfully, ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan charges out from the back, still in street clothes and swinging a holdall like it was a weapon, and clears Nord and Gang from the ring, with Duggan subsequently assisting Reed to the back where he could received medical attention*

Jim Ross: “You saw it right there, fans; the two-fold attack that Butch Reed sustained, first at the hands of ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams and then at the combined hands of Nord the Barbarian and the One Man Gang. Jim Duggan, you were on hand to help out; you didn’t have time to put your bags down before doing so, but it’s a good thing you were able to help out because Butch Reed’s night went from bad to worse.”

‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan: “I said it before and I’ll say it again; Skandor Akbar, it takes a special kind of coward to send men like the Barbarian and the Gang to attack a man who is already down. If you want your men to attack someone, try me on for size, but don’t do it when I’m down and out; do it when I’m standing and swinging and able to fight back. Show some guts for once and attack someone head on. Butch is busy with Steve Williams; they have their own issue to settle, Jim, and as long as it’s one-on-one, I’ll let them do their thing. But there’s more than one person around here, Akbar, who hates your guts, so I won’t have trouble finding partners to help out. Akbar, you and you army made a big mistake doing what they did, and it’s a mistake that you’re gonna pay for.”

00:33 – 00:37 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:37 – 00:39 --- We are back from the break and Bill Watts looks rather serious and non-too-happy. Watts explains the ongoing situation with Ted DiBiase, who wants to return to Mid-South despite having lost a Loser Leaves Town match against Jim Duggan back on March 30th. Watts says that DiBiase has informed Mid-South’s board of directors that his attorneys have what they believe are solid legal grounds for DiBiase to return to Mid-South. The board of directors obviously dispute this, pointing to the fact that DiBiase signed a legally binding contract for the Loser Leaves Town match. Watts says that the legal grounds DiBiase’s attorneys are speaking of will be revealed right here next week, as this situation continues to unfold

00:39 – 00:41 --- Len Denton then appears by the commentary position to give his comments ahead of his match with Brad Armstrong in the second semi-final of the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion;

Len Denton: “I beat one idiot to make it to the semi-finals, and I guess I’m just gonna have to beat another idiot to make it to the finals themselves. Brad Armstrong, you must be dreaming, the fans must be dreaming, if you think you’re beating me here tonight.”

*a confident Len Denton makes his way to the ring, and moments later, Brad Armstrong joins Jim Ross to give his comments*

Brad Armstrong: “Guys like Len Denton talk a heck of a game, but they don’t always back it up in the ring. And talking only gets you so far, Len; can you back it up in the ring? I guess we’ll find out.”

*an equally confident Brad Armstrong walks to the ring and as the referee settles things down to go over his final instructions, Jim Ross informs us we’ll be going to our final commercial break and when we come back, it’s the second semi-final in the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion*

00:42 – 00:46 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:46 – 00:56 ---

Mid-South Wrestling Television Championship Tournament Semi-Final: Brad Armstrong vs. Len Denton

As with the previous tournament match we saw earlier in the evening, this contest got off to a hot start, with Denton trying to deck Armstrong at the bell; Armstrong blocked the punch and responded with several of his own, backing Denton up and having him looking for cover in the corner.

Armstrong returned to the middle of the ring and he demanded that Denton come out of the corner and face him. Denton looked around, seemingly unsure of what to do, but Armstrong kept goading, kept demanding; Denton seemed to get more and more worked up before charging towards Armstrong and getting armdragged for his troubles. Denton rushed to his feet and tasted a succession of armdrags before he rolled out to the floor, looking to break the momentum that Armstrong was building

Armstrong didn’t stand around waiting, though, as he chased Denton around and then into the ring; Denton hit the ropes and the resultant criss-cross ended with Armstrong catching Denton with a dropkick that knocked him flat on his back. Armstrong was really having his way with Denton, Denton unable to get anything going, but that seemed set to change when Tony Anthony, Denton’s tag team partner and the man who would face the winner of this match in the tournament final, showed up at ringside

Anthony began yelling at Armstrong, even threatening to enter the ring at one point. Antony didn’t distract Armstrong for long, only a second or two, but it was all the time Denton needed to knee Armstrong in the back and then follow up with a big belly-to-back suplex. Denton covered Armstrong...one...two...kick out from Armstrong. Anthony was irate and Denton couldn’t believe it either. Denton picked Armstrong up and delivered a big vertical suplex; another cover was made but again Armstrong kicked out at two

By this point, Tony Anthony was starting to accuse the referee of making a slow count, which Jim Ross said was obviously complete nonsense. Anthony then got up onto the ring apron and gestured for Denton to set Armstrong up for something; Denton went to do so, both men ignoring the protestations of the referee, and the fans were really not happy with how the match was playing out

Spoiler:

Suddenly, Tom Prichard came charging out from the back, and the fans cheered as the fiery youngster yanked Tony Anthony off the ring apron. This got the attention of Len Denton, and Brad Armstrong seized upon the moment to roll Denton up...one...two...thr...kick out from Denton, and the fans couldn’t believe it. Denton rushed to his feet and swung a fist at Armstrong...who ducked, slipped behind Denton and grabbed him and delivered the side-Russian legsweep; Armstrong covered Denton and with Tom Prichard holding Tony Anthony by the leg as he tried to enter the ring, the referee made his count...one...two...three...Brad Armstrong had pinned Len Denton and would be facing Tony Anthony in the finals of the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion

As the match finish was being replayed, Bill Watts made a point to note that Armstrong got the pinfall after Denton had recovered from being distracted, and that all Tom Prichard had done was stop Tony Anthony from interfering in the match; Prichard had played no direct role in the outcome of the match

Prichard left for the back, clearly happy over what he’d done. And as Tony Anthony consoled Len Denton, Brad Armstrong was taking in the cheers of the fans, with Jim Ross telling us that one of two men, either Brad Armstrong or Tony Anthony will become the new Mid-South Television Champion.

Result: Brad Armstrong pinned Len Denton in 9:37 after the side-Russian leg sweep

END CREDITS

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Squash Fodder

Status
      Country                    Europe

Re: A Country Road Not Taken: Bill Watts vs. Jim Crockett

A quick note to let you know I'm still reading this and still very much digging it.

Whoa, 2 big matches on one TV card! What a treat!

The tournament has been a real success and really gotten the DWB over. I'm expecting Brad to go over and give him a nice little nudge up the card, especially with the RnRs waiting to battle with DWB. Even if Brad's picture makes me laugh every time I see it. It's so aggressively 80s.

Very intrigue by the DiBiase stuff and what we're going to get from him. Without a WWF he's exactly the kind of guy that can help you go someway to competing with Crockett, even if you are technically working together.

I'm shocked you chose to completely disband WWF. I was sure you were trying to pull them back in to a regional promotion to ensure that you don't have all your talent just snatched away, but with them still around. I guess that means there's a bit of a free for all for WWF talent, although with most likely going to Crockett (Orndorff, Tito, US Express, Steamboat if he was still there), you can still pick up DiBiase as you did, and maybe take back JYD. And anyone else that the WWF did sign but now won't.

I also wonder what this means for Hogan. Most guys, even Piper, I can imagine sliding back in to the territories and doing the more realistic thing. But Hulk in Mid South? Or NWA? I just don't see it. Intriguing...

Keep up the good work, you have a consistent reader in me.

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

The situation regarding talent will be clarified in a news item that will be posted on Monday night. I believe that this latest development will generate both intrigue and interest.

BTB of the Year 2012

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Not any real big points of feedback but I've just done a massive catch up to be up to date with where you are at in terms of this thread. I think when you first announced the tournament for the TV Title I was pretty excited, and you've delivered in spades so far. Not only were all the quarters and semi's fun, but the reactions of the wrestlers who didn't make the tournament was just as good, in particular Steve Williams. This tournament has been made to feel like the biggest thing in wrestling and I can't commend you enough on that.

Really enjoying the Ted DiBiase updates week after week. As this progresses, I obviously expect him to reappear, but there are so many different angles you can play out with this type of situation. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Love the WWF failing as well because now this really is a completely different universe compared to real life.

Still reading along when I can and thoroughly enjoying. Keep up the good work!

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft is Coming

The All-Star Wrestling Draft is Coming

June 29th 1985

The working agreement between Jim Crockett Promotions and Mid-South Wrestling continues to provide major headlines in the world of wrestling.

This past Friday night, a press release was sent out that stated that Mid-South Wrestling was changing its name, and that it would now be called the Universal Wrestling Federation. According to the release, the changing of the name from Mid-South to the Universal Wrestling Federation has been done in order to reflect what they call their ‘expanding operations’, a reference to the fact that the UWF will be branching out beyond their current territorial boundaries; right now, the UWF run events in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas, but they will soon be moving outside those states to run in half the country, with JCP running in the other half of the country.

That alone would have been big news, but there was even bigger news in the press release.

It was also revealed that this Wednesday, July 3rd, just days before the UWF and JCP debut on WTBS on Friday and Saturday night respectively, there will be a special two-hour presentation on WTBS of ‘The All-Star Wrestling Draft’.

The program, patterned after similar drafts in the NFL and NBA, will see JCP and the UWF formally announce the WWF talent that they have selected to bring into their respective companies.

Privately, both companies have already worked together to determine what talent they are taking, but it was decided that putting together a special draft program like this would not only make for highly rated programming, but that it would give them credibility from being seen to follow the lead of other sports by holding a draft of their own.

From Ego:

Spoiler:

I love a good draft and I have always wanted to be involved with one as part of a BTB. The specifics of the draft will be revealed when it is posted. The next update for this BTB will be another news item and then the draft itself will begin to be posted, and it will likely be posted at a rate of one round every 1-3 days. Stojy, I will try to respond to your comments in the next news post.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Hogan signs with New Japan Pro Wrestling

Hulk Hogan signs with New Japan Pro Wrestling

July 2nd 1985

In what had the potential to damage the lure of ‘The All-Star Wrestling Draft’, but is already being positioned by Jim Crockett Promotions and the Universal Wrestling Federation as not a big deal, Hulk Hogan, by far the biggest name in the World Wrestling Federation, was announced today as having signed a deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling, ruling Hogan out of being part of either JCP or the UWF.

Hogan was able to negotiate himself what is reported to be the biggest weekly guarantee that any foreign wrestler has ever received in Japan, for a deal that would see Hogan compete in New Japan for approximately 20 weeks of the year. It’s unknown where Hogan would wrestle when he’s not in Japan, or even if he would wrestle in North America at all, as, with JCP and the UWF out of the equation, Hogan’s options are surprisingly limited. Verne Gagne remains very bitter over how Hogan left the AWA and has openly stated he doesn’t want ‘that backstabber’ back, under any circumstances. World Class is a hot territory, but Hogan’s status means he’d have to be a top guy and it’s no secret that in World Class, the only top guys are going to be, and always will be for as long as the promotion exists, the Von Erich kids. Memphis is also out of the running, not just because they too will only ever have one top dog, Jerry Lawler, but because it’s not a territory known for being able to pay Hogan the money he would demand.

For their part JCP and the UWF have released a statement that, whilst it acknowledged Hogan being a big name, heavily buried Hogan for running overseas to face easier competition, rather than go with a company where he’d have to ‘rely on guts and skill rather than posing and muscles’. With casual fans in North America having very little concept of wrestling in Japan, or overseas in general, they’ve presented an argument that, to that kind of fan, seems rather logical, especially when Hogan is known for his posing and muscularity rather than for being any great shakes as a wrestler. Yeah, it’s petty, and if Hogan came calling tomorrow then it could cause problems as he’d be wanted by either promotion, and any working agreement could go out the window, but Hogan won’t come calling tomorrow, and he may never come calling if he’s content to wrestle in Japan and stick to non-wrestling commitments in between Japanese tours.

Hulk Hogan, as crazy as it seems, is a now non-factor in North American wrestling.

From Ego:

Spoiler:

The All-Star Wrestling Draft will begin to be posted on either Monday or Tuesday.

For stojy:

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by stojy View Post
    I think when you first announced the tournament for the TV Title I was pretty excited, and you've delivered in spades so far. Not only were all the quarters and semi's fun, but the reactions of the wrestlers who didn't make the tournament was just as good, in particular Steve Williams. This tournament has been made to feel like the biggest thing in wrestling and I can't commend you enough on that.
    The TV title tournament has been lots of to write, and I’ve especially enjoyed using it to set up programs for not just the wrestlers directly involved but those who weren’t part of it.

Really enjoying the Ted DiBiase updates week after week. As this progresses, I obviously expect him to reappear, but there are so many different angles you can play out with this type of situation. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    One of things I liked the most about Mid-South was the week-to-week progression of the storylines, where each week saw a new part of the story unfold and it built up in a very logical manner.

Still reading along when I can and thoroughly enjoying. Keep up the good work!

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft - Part One

The All-Star Wrestling Draft

Wednesday, July 3rd 1985

Live from Washington, D.C at the D.C Amory

Wrestlers and officials alike packed into the D.C Armory as Jim Crockett Promotions and the Universal Wrestling Federation combined for what would be a first in professional wrestling, the All-Star Wrestling Draft, as both companies met to determine their selections from the vast roster of talent that became available after the dissolution and demisee of the World Wrestling Federation. The majority of the wrestlers in the Armory were those who once called themselves ‘WWF superstars’, but who must now wait to see if they will be picked up by either of the ‘Big Two’ and maintain their position in the major leagues of professional wrestling.

In addition to the former WWF wrestlers, there were various wrestlers from both JCP and the UWF, all of whom were very interested in seeing just who they would be competing with or against in the coming months, and there was already speculation that alliances could be formed very quickly.

By mutual agreement of both companies, Gene Okerlund was the official host of the draft. Okerlund was one of many ex-WWF employees who found themselves in limbo, but he was respected enough that he was given the privilege of making the formal announcements as each promotion made their selection. And before the draft began, Okerlund ran down the rules of the draft so that those in attendance and viewers at home would know what was going on;

1: There will be 12 rounds to the All-Star Wrestling Draft
    2: Jim Crockett Promotions will be making the first pick
    3: The fourth (4th), eighth (8th) and twelfth (12th) round picks will see each promotion pick two wrestlers and those two wrestlers will be drafted as a tag team
    4: Any manager, valet, second, etc, associated with a singles wrestler or tag team is taken at the discretion of the promotion who has selected the wrestler or tag team that they associated with
    5: Any manager, valet, second, etc, who is associated with one or more wrestlers drafted, are taken on a first come first served basis. That is, once a manager, valet, second, etc, has been drafted by a promotion, they are no longer eligible to be drafted by a promotion, even if a wrestler or wrestler they are associated with is taken in a later round of the draft

With the formalities out of the way, the commentators to this event, Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross, representing Jim Crockett Promotions and the Universal Wrestling Federation respectively, began to discuss the thought process behind that all important first round selection.

As the two men talked about what kind strategy and thinking would go into the overall drafting process from both companies, we saw the respective owners of Jim Crockett Promotions and Universal Wrestling Federation, Jim Crockett Jr. and Bill Watts, talking with other officials of their companies, and Jim Ross noted that whilst both men would certainly have decide upon their selections, they would have to be mindful that, at any point in the draft, someone they want could be selected by the other side, and Tony Schiavone wondered how each promoter was preparing for what was almost assured to happen, for when one of their intended selections was taken by the opposition.

Eventually, things were settled down, everyone took their respective places, and fans and wrestlers alike waited to see who the first pick would be, that first draft selection, which would be made by Jim Crockett Promotions. The Armory was buzzing as a representative from Jim Crockett Promotions handed over a sealed envelope to an official who quickly carried it over to Gene Okerlund, who stepped up the podium and readied to announce the first selection in the All-Star Wrestling Draft;

Gene Okerlund: “The draft begins, ladies and gentleman, so here we go; as their first pick in the All-Star Wrestling Draft, Jim Crockett Promotions selects...

Spoiler:

‘Macho Man’ Randy Savage!”

There was a huge round of applause at the announcement, and the cameras quickly cut to a shot of Randy and Miss Elizabeth, with Elizabeth looking as demure as ever as Randy stroked his chin and had the look of someone who was intrigued at the prospect of competing in a promotion that had been, until a few months ago, considered as ‘the enemy’.

Elizabeth quietly said something to Savage who seemed to reassure Elizabeth over whatever it was that she was saying, which one presumed was over whether or not she’d be joining Savage in Jim Crockett Promotions, and the two continued to confer as Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross talked about the fact Jim Crockett Promotions had selected Randy Savage. Schiavone and Ross noted that Savage, a former Intercontinental Champion in the WWF, could be matched up against a number of big names, including Magnum T.A, Tully Blanchard, Ron Garvin, but that the two biggest opponents he could face would be Dusty Rhodes and the current NWA World Heavyweight Champion, Ric Flair, and both commentators agreed that Savage against either of those two would be two of the biggest the sport had ever seen.

As everyone settled back down, Tony Schiavone informed us that Jim Crockett Promotions have said that they will be taking Miss Elizabeth with Randy Savage.

With everyone settled back down, the spotlight was now on Universal Wrestling Federation, and it was now Bill Watts who was engaged in last-minute discussions with his advisors, but it didn’t take long for Watts to hand over the familiar sealed envelope to an official who quickly rushed it over to Gene Okerlund, and now we awaited to find out the first pick of Universal Wrestling Federation and the second overall pick in the All-Star Wrestling Draft;

Gene Okerlund: “The draft continues and now we have the first pick of Universal Wrestling Federation; as their first pick in the All-Star Wrestling Draft, the Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat!”

Again, there was applause throughout the Armory, and Ricky Steamboat looked quite pleased at being the first selection of Universal Wrestling Federation. Steamboat was congratulated by his friends, and Tony Schiavone Jim Ross began talking about what we could expect to see with Ricky Steamboat in Universal Wrestling Federation, noting potential matches with Jake Roberts, ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams and Ted DiBiase, as well as potential scientific classics against Brad Armstrong and the current UWF Universal Heavyweight Champion Terry Taylor, and both men agreed that fans of the UWF can expect some excellent wrestling from the latest addition to their roster, Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft - Part Two

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Two

With the all important first round selections made, it was time for the second round of the draft, and Schiavone and Ross commented on how, as the draft progresses, the odds increase that a wrestler that one promotion wants will be drafted by the other, and they noted how this can affect the strategy behind a drafting process. After a moment’s conference, Jim Crockett Jr. handed over the envelope containing his second pick to the official who handed it over to Gene Okerlund and everyone waited to see who would be Jim Crockett’s second pick tonight;

Gene Okerlund: “For their second pick in the All-Star Wrestling Draft, Jim Crockett Promotions selects...

Spoiler:

‘Mr Wonderful’ Paul Orndorff!”

As the cameras cut to Paul Orndorff, Orndorff looked rather subdued, and Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross felt that Orndorff was very quickly going over in his mind his prospective opponents in Jim Crockett Promotions. Schiavone brought up the fact that Orndorff had competed in the Mid-Atlantic region a few years ago and had run-ins with some of the wrestlers he’ll now be facing or competing with, and Jim Ross felt that Orndorff against Ric Flair could be a very interesting match considering how both men conduct themselves.

Now it was the turn of Universal Wrestling Federation and Bill Watts look very pleased and he wasted no time in sealing up the envelop and handing over to the official, and the commentators felt that Watts must be pleased because his next pick is obviously someone that he was very much looking forward to drafting and he has been able to do so;

Gene Okerlund: “For their second pick in the All-Star Wrestling Draft, Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

Barry Windham!”

It was hard to read Windham’s expression, as, whilst he had a slight smile, Schiavone and Ross felt that Windham was playing it cool, not wanting to let on how he felt. Both Schiavone and Ross agreed that Windham had many great opponents ahead of him in the Universal Wrestling Federation, and Ross speculated on how long it would take Windham to make a run at the Universal Heavyweight title, with Ross noting that Windham had long been considered a certainty to have a run with major singles title at some point in his career.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft - Part Three

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Three

We went back to Jim Crockett Jr. and now it was his turn to look pleased, and Tony Schiavone commented on how the draft was going well for both promotions so far, but he quickly noted that that is likely to change as the draft goes on. Crockett handed over the sealed envelope, still smiling, and Jim Ross wondered what that smile met, saying that we won’t have to wait long to find out;

Gene Okerlund: “Things keep rolling on and it’s worth reminding everyone that after this round, the third, of the draft, both Jim Crockett Promotions and Universal Wrestling Federation will be selecting a tag team. Anyway, for the third round of the All-Star Draft, Jim Crockett Promotions select...

Spoiler:

‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper!”

There was great applause in the Amory and Roddy Piper looked around and once he noticed Ric Flair, the current NWA World Heavyweight Champion, who was surrounded by women, Piper stood up and pointed right at Flair. Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross remarked on the history between Flair and Piper, especially in the Carolinas, the home base of Jim Crockett Promotions, and both commentators wondered what kind of fireworks we’ll be seeing now that Ric Flair and Roddy Piper are once again in the same promotion.

Bill Watts was now conferring with his advisors and Jim Ross wondered if that meant that Watts had been after Piper, which Tony Schiavone said, if true, showed how selections and strategy can change with every round, because you can’t be sure that a wrestler you want to draft will still be around when you want to pick him. In any event, Watts looked very serious as he handed over the sealed envelope that contained his third round draft pick, and as it was handed over to Gene Okerlund, the attended wrestlers waited to see if it would be they who was now going to Universal Wrestling Federation;

Gene Okerlund: “For the third round pick, Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

‘Dr D’ David Schultz!”

The unpredictable redneck looked very unhappy, Schultz quietly seething as he, for once, remained, well, quiet, but it was very obvious, painfully so, that Schultz was not pleased with being selected by Universal Wrestling Federation. Jim Ross was quick to explain this, noting that Schultz is a very strong personality, always running into trouble with authority figures because of his unwillingness to play by the rules, and that Bill Watts, the owner of the Universal Wrestling Federation, was notorious for being not just a strong personality himself but for being a stickler for rules and regulations when it comes to how his wrestlers conduct themselves, and Ross wondered just what would happened when these two were under the same promotional roof.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft - Part Four

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Four

It was now time for the fourth round of the All-Star Wrestling Draft, and Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross talked about how this round was a little different as instead of singles wrestlers, Jim Crockett Promotions and the Universal Wrestling Federation would each be drafting a tag team. They explained that any two wrestlers could be drafted as a tag team, meaning that two singles wrestler who had never tagged before could be drafted together as a tag team; Ross noted that that is unlikely to happen at this point in the draft given that so many top singles wrestlers remain undrafted, as well as many established tag teams still being available.

Jim Crockett Jr. handed over the now familiar sealed envelope and as it was then handed to Gene Okerlund, everyone waited to see the first tag team to be drafted in the All-Star Wrestling Draft;

Gene Okerlund: “For their fourth round pick, and their first tag team, Jim Crockett Promotions selects...

Spoiler:

The British Bulldogs!”

The British Bulldogs had been selected as the first tag team to be drafted tonight, and as Tony Schiavone noted, that also meant that Jim Crockett Promotions could be gaining a new manager as Lou Albano was the official manager of the British Bulldogs and would be part of the deal if Crockett Promotions wanted him. Appropriately enough, the cameras caught Albano conversing with the Bulldogs, Jim Ross speculating that Albano was already giving Bulldogs advice on the many tag teams they might find themselves up against when they began competing in Jim Crockett Promotions.

As was the case when Randy Savage was drafted, Tony Schiavone informed us that Jim Crockett Promotions had let it be known that they would be taking the Bulldog’s manager and Lou Albano would be going to Jim Crockett Promotions along with them.

It was now the Universal Wrestling Federation turn to make their first tag team selection and Bill Watts shrugged as he handed over the sealed envelope, and Jim Ross wondered what exactly that gesture meant, but as we pondered over that, it was time to find out who Universal Wrestling Federation had chosen in the fourth round of the draft;

Gene Okerlund: “For their fourth round pick, and their first tag team, the Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

The Hart Foundation!”

As the camera showed a somewhat surprised Hart Foundation, which included their manager, Jimmy Hart, Jim Ross felt that he now knew what Bill Watts’ reaction meant in the previous selection; that Watts considered selecting the Hart Foundation as the obvious move to make after the British Bulldogs had gone to Jim Crockett Promotions, an assessment Tony Schiavone agreed with. Ross and Schiavone called both teams among the very best in the sport today. Schiavone then noted how Mid-South was also likely getting Jimmy Hart, and Jim Ross wondered how Skandor Akbar, the resident manager in the UWF, would handle that, and as we saw all three members of the Hart Foundation confer, one could sense that this selection could lead to a lot of fireworks.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft - Part Five

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Five

The singles selections resumed in the fifth round of the draft and Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross were quick to note that a lot of major names were still available, and they again reiterated that as the draft went on, so increased the chances of one promotion losing out on a piece of talent they wanted. It was therefore no surprise to see Bill Watts looking a little apprehensive as Jim Crockett Jr handed over the envelope that contained his fifth round draft pick, and Bill, and everyone, waited to hear who would be the next wrestler to make their way to Jim Crockett Promotions;

Gene Okerlund: “We go back to the singles ranks next, and for the fifth round draft pick, Jim Crockett Promotions selects...

Spoiler:

King Kong Bundy!”

There was some significant buzz surrounding the fifth round selection of Jim Crockett Promotions; they had some big monsters on their roster, but they were of the tall and/or muscular variety. JCP had nobody on their roster the size and girth of King Kong Bundy, and Bundy appeared to know it, as he looked very smug and happy with where he was going, and as he rolled his hands, Bundy saw the camera was on him and Bundy smashed one hand into the other, which Tony Schiavone took as a message from Bundy as to what awaited those who stepped foot into the ring against him.

As Bill Watts readied to make his fifth round selection, Tony Schiavone noted that King Kong Bundy may have been someone that Watts would have gone for given Bundy’s size and brute force, and Jim Ross brought up that Watts was familiar with Bundy so there is chance that Watts would have gone for him. Whatever the case, Watts had to choose someone else for his fifth round pick, and as Gene Okerlund stepped up the podium to make the announcement, the attended wrestlers waited to see which one of them would be going to Universal Wrestling Federation;

Gene Okerlund: “For their fifth round draft pick, the Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

Dick Murdoch!”

An animated Dick Murdoch reacted boisterously to the news that he was off to the Universal Wrestling Federation, and Jim Ross quickly brought up that Murdoch was no stranger to the Mid-South area and Bill Watts, Ross making note that the relationship between Murdoch and Watts wasn’t always smooth. Tony Schiavone said that this must show just how good Murdoch is for Watts to overlook that in order to bring Murdoch aboard, and Murdoch looked very pleased to be going to the Universal Wrestling Federation.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft - Part Six

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Six

The sixth round was next and at the half-way point in the draft, selections were taking a little more time to be made, both Jim Crockett and Bill Watts having to put more thought into their choices as, whilst top talent still remained, the chances of missing out on a top talent increased as their number dwindled with each selection made. Eventually, Crockett handed over his selection to an official who in turn handed it to Gene Okerlund and Okerlund stepped up to the podium to announce the sixth round pick for Jim Crockett Promotions;

Gene Okerlund: “In this sixth round of the All-Star Wrestling Draft, Jim Crockett Promotions selects...

Spoiler:

Tito Santana!”

There was much applause for the selection of Tito Santana, Jim Ross quick to note that Santana was highly respected as a wrestler inside the ring and also for being reliable outside of the ring, Tony Schiavone agreeing with both points and mentioning that Santana was not someone who was going to give a promoter headaches because all of his focus was on what went on inside the ring; Schiavone noted that Santana was a former Intercontinental Champion, so he was going to be a very tough competitor for the wrestlers in Jim Crockett Promotions to deal with.

It was the turn of Bill Watts and the Universal Wrestling Federation next and there was a lot of discussion going on over this next selection, and Tony Schiavone wondered what that discussion meant, speculating that there might not be a consensus over who Universal Wrestling Federation’ sixth round draft pick should be. Jim Ross, who works with Watts, agreed, but noted that, in the end, Watts will make the selection he wants to. Regardless, Watts seemed to be assuring his fellow Universal Wrestling Federation officials as he handed over his next selection, and there was some serious intrigue over his next selection, given the apparent drama that had led into it;

Gene Okerlund: “For their sixth round draft pick, the Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

Adrian Adonis!”

There was some surprise at this selection and Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross were quick to agree that they understood why there might have been hesitation from some in the Universal Wrestling Federation to bring in Adrian Adonis, given some of his personal habits. Adonis, for his part, was dressed relatively normally, and he seemed pleased as he could be seen talking to those around him. Jim Ross speculated that Adonis, who had rarely if ever competed in the Mid-South region, was trying to find out all he could about the wrestlers that he would soon be competing against.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft - Part Seven

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Seven

It was back to Jim Crockett Promotions for the seventh round of the draft and there continued to be extended discussions over each pick, which was expected as the draft developed. Indeed, it was looking like Jim Crockett was having to do a lot of talking with his advisors over this pick; Tony Schiavone observed that Crockett was having to assure his advisors over this pick, which Jim Ross felt could be a sign that, whilst the ultimate decision about the picks was down to Jim Crockett, he did take on board the advice of those around him and there was a lot of consternation about the next pick.

We didn’t have to wait much longer to find out about the next draft pick selection as the sealed envelope containing the pick was now making its way to Gene Okerlund;

Gene Okerlund: “There seems to be a little drama over this selection, folks, so let’s find out who caused it; for their seventh round draft pick, Jim Crockett Promotions selects...

Spoiler:

Terry Funk!”

If there was one wrestler that was sure to cause problems it was Terry Funk, his reputation for troublemaking well known in wrestling, and Funk displayed a sly smile as he was shown on camera, and Jim Ross felt that it was guaranteed that Funk was already figuring out what kind of havoc he would get up to with Jim Crockett Promotions. Tony Schiavone noted that Funk had history with Dusty Rhodes and that it would be crazy when they met in the ring, Schiavone also wondering what would happen when Funk clashed, as he surely would, with NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair. Schiavone and Ross then concurred that this may be the one pick that Jim Crockett Jr. may come to regret because nobody was able to keep Terry Funk under control for very long.

With things calmed down, it was now back over to Bill Watts and Universal Wrestling Federation for their seventh round selection, and unlike with Jim Crockett Promotions, this decision appeared to be unanimous and Watts and his associates looked very confident as they handed over the envelope containing their seventh round draft pick, and Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross noted the disparity in behaviour over the seventh round draft picks between Jim Crockett Promotions and Universal Wrestling Federation;

Gene Okerlund: “For the seventh round draft pick, the Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

Danny Spivey!”

For the first time this evening, eyes were raised over a selection, as, for the first time, it wasn’t an ‘established’ star being selected, but rather someone who many felt could be a future star; even Spivey himself seemed surprised at being picked. Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross both commented on the fact that this was very much a surprise pick, with Ross calling it a sign of the confidence Watts must have in Spivey, that he would pick Spivey over some of the more established names who were still available in the draft.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

BTB of the Year 2012

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Enjoying the draft so far however it does feel like it's taking a frustratingly long time. I really just want to see who is going where so we can see some more awesome shows.

Going off the latest round of the draft, you played off the Terry Funk pick very well. Considering how eradic he can be, the fact that some people were unsure of him being picked makes sense. I can't wait to see the stuff Funk gets up to though, I expect him to be a star.

Spivey was definitely a surprise pick, but it's never really a bad thing to give a young guy some spotlight. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the roster fleshes out as this draft continues.

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft - Part Eight and Part Nine

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Eight

We had now reached the eighth round of the All-Star Wrestling draft and it was the point where Jim Crockett Promotions and Universal Wrestling Federation would be selecting a tag team. Jim Ross noted that the two highest profile tag teams, the British Bulldogs and the Hart Foundation, had been chosen already, and Ross wondered if this meant that, with the two aces of the WWF’s tag team ranks chosen, and individual members of other tag teams drafted as singles, whether either company would decide to put together brand new tag teams. Tony Schiavone said that if that was the case, it would be very interesting to see what wrestlers the two companies decided would make a good team.

Jim Crockett Jr. was taking a lot of time over his selection for this round, and both Schiavone and Ross wondered if this meant that Crockett was indeed deciding to put together two individual wrestlers as a tag team. After much discussion, Jim Crockett Jr. handed over the sealed envelope and as it was given to Gene Okerlund, we waited to find out if Crockett was drafting an established team or drafting a brand new team;

Gene Okerlund: “Remember, this is for a tag team; for their eighth round draft pick, Jim Crockett Promotions selects...

Spoiler:

Don Muraco and Matt Borne!”

Immediately, all eyes turned to Muraco and Borne, both men being in different parts of the Armory. Muraco seemed to take it in his stride, whilst Borne’s reaction was a little harder to read, although Tony Schiavone felt that if Borne was either happy or undecided, we’d be able to tell and Schiavone felt that Borne wasn’t happy. In any event, Don Muraco and Matt Borne would be going to Jim Crockett Promotions and would be a tag team, an interesting tag team, and it remained to be seen just how this duo would get along.

After the selection made by Jim Crockett Promotions, everyone wondered if Universal Wrestling Federation would follow suit and draft two singles wrestlers as a brand new tag team, and Jim Ross expressed the opinion that that was likely given that most of the really established tag teams had either been drafted already or had their individual members drafted as singles wrestlers. Indeed, as with Jim Crockett, Bill Watts was taking his time over this selection and he waited until the last minute to hand over the sealed envelope containing his eighth round selection and a lot of wrestlers were interested to see how this one went, many of them mindful that they could find themselves as part of a tag team;

Gene Okerlund: “As their eighth round draft pick, the Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

Mike Rotundo and Greg Valentine!”

As with the selection of Don Muraco and Matt Borne, all eyes shifted to Mike Rotundo and Greg Valentine to see what their reaction was to not only being drafted by Universal Wrestling Federation but being drafted as a tag team. Valentine and Rotundo were quick to look each out and when they locked eyes, both men seemed to be staring each other down, and Jim Ross wondered if we’re already seeing a battle of wills between tag team partners, which Tony Schiavone felt could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how it played out, because this could result in both men pushing themselves hard so as not to be outshone by the other. In any event, Valentine and Rotundo were now a tag team and they were sure to make an interesting tag team for a variety of reasons.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Nine

In the ninth round of the draft, it was back to singles wrestlers being on the block, and things became a little calmer amongst the wrestlers in the D.C Armory as they knew that, for the next few rounds, they didn’t have to worry about being tagged up with someone they might not personally like. This time, though, it was Jim Crockett who was seen to be assuring his advisors over his next pick, and Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross wondered who could be the cause of such discussion, and as Gene Okerlund stepped up to the podium, everyone waited to see who was going to Jim Crockett Promotions;

Gene Okerlund: “For their ninth round draft pick, Jim Crockett Promotions selects...

Spoiler:

Hercules Hernandez!”

As with the selection of Dan Spivey, this one raised eyebrows because Hercules Hernandez, whilst having a name, was not yet a major star, but Tony Schiavone felt that that was why Jim Crockett Promotions selected Hercules, because he seems to have all the physical tools required to become a major force in the near future. Jim Ross did brought up that Hercules does have history in Jim Crockett Promotions, having been one of Paul Jones’ masked Assassins tag team during Jones’ feud with Jimmy Valiant, but Ross felt that Hercules had improved a lot since then and that moving to Jim Crockett Promotions could be the catalyst to propel him to the next level.

Universal Wrestling Federation were back on deck now and it was obvious that Bill Watts had decided upon his pick but that his advisors were not thrilled as they appeared to be less than happy; Watts remained firm and hurriedly handed over the sealed envelope and both Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross were eager to see what was causing the drama, both men noting that the drama was growing as the draft went on;

Gene Okerlund: “For their ninth round pick, the Universal Wrestling Federation select...

Spoiler:

‘Superfly’ Jimmy Snuka!”

The ‘Superfly’ seemed intrigued by his selection, conversing with friends immediately, whilst Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross openly acknowledged that Snuka had issues away from the squared circle, which was probably why those advising Bill Watts were not happy to see Snuka selected. Ross noted that Snuka was no stranger to some of the wrestlers who had earlier been drafted by Universal Wrestling Federation, and it would be interesting to see how Snuka would mix with those men and the rest of the UWF.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

@Stojy

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    Enjoying the draft so far however it does feel like it's taking a frustratingly long time. I really just want to see who is going where so we can see some more awesome shows.
    The length of the draft has been somewhat out of my hands. I intended to post updates twice a week, on Thursday’s and Sunday’s, but I’ve been busier with other things than I would like, hence things dragging, and hence posting a double update tonight.

Going off the latest round of the draft, you played off the Terry Funk pick very well. Considering how eradic he can be, the fact that some people were unsure of him being picked makes sense. I can't wait to see the stuff Funk gets up to though, I expect him to be a star.
    As Funk is going to JCP, we won’t initially see what he gets up to, but I’m sure he’ll find his way to the UWF at some point.

Spivey was definitely a surprise pick, but it's never really a bad thing to give a young guy some spotlight. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the roster fleshes out as this draft continues.
    Spivey was a pick made with 1985 eyes. At the time, he fit a lot of the criteria that promoters were looking for; he was young and athletic, etc. But most of all he had size, so he makes sense as a first round draft pick for 1985.

BTB of the Year 2012

Say hello to the bad guy!

Status
      Country                    Canada

While i will admit that this is before my time period and I don't know too much about how things went, I do obviously know some of the big names that did go to WWF.

From the putset, it looks like Jim Crockett Promotions is getting the much better selections in the draft.

Your layout is very eye appealing, easy to read. You give good detail without going to overboard, making it a nice enjoyable read.

Ill be keeping an eye out for the rest of this draft and to see what you do following it.

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft - Part Ten and Part Eleven

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Ten

Yet the consternation over Snuka was mild discourse compared to the reaction of the next pick as Jim Crockett Jr. openly had to calm down his advisors, some of whom were very unhappy over what was apparently Crockett’s next pick. Crockett tried to relax them but had little success and Crockett seemed perturbed as he handed over the sealed envelope to the official who quickly handed it off to Gene Okerlund, and everyone very interested to hear the selection that had caused such problems;

Gene Okerlund: “For their tenth round draft pick, Jim Crockett Promotions selects...

Spoiler:

Ken Patera!”

There were many shocked people at this announcement, and Tony Schiavone conceded that this was a controversial choice for Jim Crockett Jr. to make. Jim Ross agreed with his broadcast partner and made allusions to Patera having trouble outside the ring, that he’s probably not welcome at the drive-in any time soon, and Ross said that Jim Crockett Jr. has made perhaps the most controversial selection of the night. Tony Schiavone steered the conversation back to Patera’s in-ring accomplishments, noting the many titles Ken Patera has held, and reminding us the fact that Patera is no stranger to Ric Flair, Schiavone speculating what Flair’s reaction will be should he encounter one of the strongest men in the sport.

Things settled down as we awaited Bill Watts making the tenth selection for Universal Wrestling Federation. Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross both agreed that no selection would be as controversial at Ken Patera’s and they also agreed that that was a good thing. Watts was talking extensively to his advisors before handing over the sealed envelope and there was the natural speculation over the tenth selection for Universal Wrestling Federation would be, and there was something of a hush as Gene Okerlund stepped up to the podium;

Gene Okerlund: “For their tenth round draft pick, the Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

The Iron Sheik!”

This was a selection that made a lot of sense, with the Universal Wrestling Federation taking on the former WWF Heavyweight Champion and noted amateur wrestler the Iron Sheik. The Iron Sheik looked rather excited and had to be calmed down, which was nothing new for the Iron Sheik according to Tony Schiavone. Jim Ross put across the amateur and professional credentials of the Iron Sheik, calling him a very complete mat wrestler, versed in the amateur and pro styles, and both Ross and Schiavone felt that the Iron Sheik is going to give problems to a lot of wrestlers in the UWF.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Eleven

As we reached the eleventh round, it was time for each promotion to make their last singles selection, with the twelfth and final round of the draft overall being a round where both promotions would pick a tag team. Jim Crockett Jr. looked rather pleased with his last selection and there was a general feeling of excitement in the Jim Crockett Promotions camp as Jim Crockett Jr. handed over the envelope containing his final singles selection of the evening. As Gene Okerlund took the envelop, he headed to the podium to reveal the final singles selection of Jim Crockett Promotions and the penultimate singles selection of the evening;

Gene Okerlund: “For their eleventh round draft pick, Jim Crockett Promotions selects...

Spoiler:

Brutus Beefcake!”

Now this was a selection that got people talking, and people were looking at Jim Crockett Jr. like he was either mad or had played an ace card. Jim Ross questioned this selection but Tony Schiavone remarked that this was a selection made with a long-term purpose, and Ross quietly remarked that Schiavone was right about that. Ross quickly began talking about the potential of Beefcake, Ross calling him an unpolished diamond, and whilst Tony Schiavone said he agreed with that assessment, Schiavone also said that Beefcake needed a new ring name because the name Brutus Beefcake sounded just too damn goofy.

Quickly moving on, and Bill Watts was set to make his final draft selection and he appeared to be rather content with his choice, his advisors nodding in agreement and Jim Ross noted that the consensus opinion was good to see after some discord in the last few rounds. Watts handed over the sealed envelope and it was quickly taken over to Gene Okerlund and everyone was ready to hear who would be the final singles selection for Universal Wrestling Federation;

Gene Okerlund: “For their eleventh round draft pick, the Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

‘Big’ John Studd!”

If Jim Crockett Promotions had taken one noted ‘giant’, then Universal Wrestling Federation had taken another, with ‘Big’ John Studd now a part of the Universal Wrestling Federation. Studd seemed to take the news in his stride and nodded, smiling ever so slightly, and Jim Ross commented that nobody who Studd faces in the ring will be smiling for long because Studd is big, powerful and has bad intentions, which makes a dangerous combination. Tony Schiavone said he wouldn’t want to wish a match against Studd on any wrestler, and it was obvious both men felt that the wrestlers of the UWF were in for a rough time against ‘Big’ John Studd.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

@BXSTXRD

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by BXSTXRD View Post
    While I will admit that this is before my time period and I don't know too much about how things went, I do obviously know some of the big names that did go to WWF.
    I guess that makes this BTB something of an educational tool, and I’m always happy to provide help in that regard.

From the outset, it looks like Jim Crockett Promotions is getting the much better selections in the draft.
    I made a point to have both sides look at their selections differently, with differing mindsets, and that seems to have weighted things in JCP’s favour, although I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Your layout is very eye appealing, easy to read. You give good detail without going to overboard, making it a nice enjoyable read.
    A lot of credit for the layout goes to Looking Glass. He was very helpful in that regard when it came to my TNA BTB, and it improved my presentation a lot.

I’ll be keeping an eye out for the rest of this draft and to see what you do following it.
    As always, it’s good to have a new viewer on board.

BTB of the Year 2012

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

The draft comes to a relatively entertaining end in terms of singles wrestlers and I think this might have been one of my favourite updates overall. Whilst JCP isn't what we are working with here, the consequences and reactions of drafting Patera were sold very well, which I enjoyed, and Schiavone is right, Beefcake does need a new name.

For I guess the more important side of things, I LOVE both of these picks. On one hand, it's handy to have a giant around like Studd to squash people, and probably eventually put over some mega babyface. And The Iron Sheik is a former WWF Champion, a recognizable name and an awesome heel. Once he retires, you should make him colour commentator lol. Seriously though, I think both these picks do a good job of adding some star power to the UWF roster.

I'm intrigued to see if the last tag team picks will be actual teams or more singles wrestlers being jammed into a team. I'm all for making new teams though so really don't mind either way. I know we're getting close to having some shows again now so just quietly getting excited.

BTB Legend

Status

The All-Star Wrestling Draft - Part Twelve

The All-Star Wrestling Draft: Part Twelve

We had reached the final round of the All-Star Wrestling Draft and it was time for Jim Crockett Promotions and Universal Wrestling Federation to make their final selections, and for this round, both promotions would be selecting a tag team. Like in the eighth round of the draft, this could see two singles wrestlers drafted together to form a brand new tag team or it could see one of the few remaining established teams chosen. Jim Crockett was again in rather intense discussion with his advisors and as with some earlier picks, this was a pick that was not a consensus selection. As the sealed envelope was handed over to Gene Okerlund, everyone waited to see which tag team would make up the final selection of Jim Crockett Promotions in the All-Star Wrestling Draft;

Gene Okerlund: “It’s the twelfth and final round of the draft, ladies and gentlemen, which means both companies are picking a tag team. For their twelfth and final pick, Jim Crockett Promotions select...

Spoiler:

The Junkyard Dog and Tony Atlas!”

This was an interesting selection and an interesting tag team to make, with the charismatic JYD teaming up with the muscular and powerful Atlas, and Tony Schiavone made the comment that this would be a tag team that had most bases covered, making them an interesting challenge for any team to face. Jim Ross said that Jim Crockett Promotions have certainly selected a popular and charismatic wrestler in the Junkyard Dog, Ross feeling that Atlas will make a great partner for the Dog, Ross noting that Atlas holds a pinfall victory over former WWF Champion Hulk Hogan, and the segment ended with Schiavone and Ross expressing their belief that Dog and Atlas can achieve great things as a team.

We had now reached the final selection of the All-Star Wrestling Draft, the Universal Wrestling Federation’s twelfth round pick, with Bill Watts adding to the UWF’s tag team division with the last pick of the night. This one, especially, saw Watts and his team put serious thought into it, mindful of the fact that this was their last selection and therefore they had to make it count. As Watts discussed his final selection with his advisors, Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross talked about what Watts may go for in a tag team, what kind of mix he’ll go for, both men making the point that the best tag teams complement each other and aren’t necessarily similar in terms of style, Ross noting that the wider the styles used by the tag team, the more prepared they’ll be against a wider variety of opponents.

Eventually, Watts handed over the familiar sealed envelope which was handed over to Gene Okerlund, and Okerlund made his way to the podium for the final time to announce the final selection of the All-Star Wrestling Draft;

Gene Okerlund: “And now, bringing the All-Star Wrestling Draft to an end; for their twelfth and final pick, the Universal Wrestling Federation selects...

Spoiler:

Bob Orton Jr. and Barry O!”

There were a few murmurs over this one as one of the top names in the WWF, Bob Orton Jr., was paired up with someone who hadn’t been near the big lights, Barry O, but Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross were quick to point out that, as unheralded as Barry O may be, he is very underrated and joked that if you don’t believe them, O will tell you that himself. Ross said that O can deliver on the mic, Ross noting that O will get the chance to do that, one he’s, frankly, deserved and not yet gotten. For their part, Orton and O seemed rather happy with their selection, and the two men quickly got together to begin talking over what one presumed would be their collective strategy as a team as part of Universal Wrestling Federation and the Universal Wrestling Federation.

The All-Star Wrestling Draft was now over and 30 wrestlers had found themselves new homes, along with a couple of managers, and they now had the prospect of dealing with some of the toughest competition in the sport as they looked to once again establish themselves in the world of professional wrestling. For a lot of wrestlers, though, it was a tough night to be a part of as they would not be finding a new home with the two major promotions in the United States. For those men, it would now be a case of re-establishing themselves away from the spotlight, away from the glare of publicity, and hoping to prove at some point down the road that they did deserve a chance to compete in the major leagues of professional wrestling.

Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross thanked everyone at home for tuning in, both men inviting fans to write in with their opinion of the draft and how it turned out, what matches they’re looking forward to seeing, Ross making the point that they want to hear what the fans have to say. Schiavone and Ross talked over some of the matches that fans could be seeing and they both agreed that whilst a lot of big names were drafted, the natural match ups to look forward to were the ones involving the #1 draft picks against the respective champions of their new promotions, in this case, NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair against the #1 pick for Jim Crockett Promotions, ‘Macho Man’ Randy Savage, and UWF Universal Heavyweight Champion Terry Taylor against the #1 pick for Universal Wrestling Federation, Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat.

The End

@Stojy

Spoiler:

The draft comes to a relatively entertaining end in terms of singles wrestlers and I think this might have been one of my favourite updates overall. Whilst JCP isn't what we are working with here, the consequences and reactions of drafting Patera were sold very well, which I enjoyed, and Schiavone is right, Beefcake does need a new name.
    One of my favourite parts of writing the Draft has been the reactions to some of the more controversial selections. And Ken Patera, perhaps more than most, given the timeframe, is a controversial selection. But he’s got a name and can still work to a decent level.

For I guess the more important side of things, I LOVE both of these picks. On one hand, it's handy to have a giant around like Studd to squash people, and probably eventually put over some mega babyface. And The Iron Sheik is a former WWF Champion, a recognizable name and an awesome heel. Once he retires, you should make him colour commentator lol. Seriously though, I think both these picks do a good job of adding some star power to the UWF roster.
    Studd and Sheik are both great picks from a name value standpoint, and Studd, as you say, makes a great monster heel. As for Sheik, you’ll probably want to keep an eye out in the future whenever he has the mic.

I'm intrigued to see if the last tag team picks will be actual teams or more singles wrestlers being jammed into a team. I'm all for making new teams though so really don't mind either way. I know we're getting close to having some shows again now so just quietly getting excited.
    As you’ll see from the final draft update, it’s both, and I expect there might be some raised eyebrows over the selections, for various reasons.

BTB of the Year 2012

Squash Fodder

Status
      Country                    Europe

Okay, now the draft is over I feel like I can comment. I was following along but wasn't going to leave feedback while we were doing one pick at a time. Now it's done, here are my thoughts on the additions to UWF (which is obviously the priority):

Steamboat - huh. I thought he'd be a lock for NWA given, well... everything. Not sure how I feel about it. I guess I understand that for the sake of kayfabe you couldn't jump straight in to picking Dick Murdoch while NWA are going for Savage, Piper, Ordnorff, etc, and that in the first round of picks he's the best fit for UWF compared to others, but still... an interesting call. Will wait to see how it plays out.

Windham - now this is what I'm talking about. What a perfect fit this is. Obviously Windham could have gone to NWA given his actual career trajectory, but he's perfect for Mid-South. He could very easily be your biggest star in no time at all.

Dr D - another good fit. It should be fun having him cause all kinds of havoc. Nice one.

Hart Foundation - hmm... I'm kind of surprised by this as they seemed such a natural fit for NWA as well, but I guess with the Bulldogs going there I guess you couldn't have all the tag teams going to NWA and none to you. They're obviously great and will do wonders for your tag scene so it's not a complaint, but came as a surprise. Plus, if you can progress in to the future obviously you've got a potential star on your hands

Murdoch - yes! Great fit! All over this one, glad to see him back in Mid-South. I started listing all the feuds I wanted to see Murdoch in and realised that it was essentially all of them. Great pick.

Spivey - great idea. Big strong rookie hoss is exactly what Mid South is all about. Interested to see what you do with him.

Rotundo & Valentine - this is an interesting team. I have a sneaky suspicion they could be the dominant heel tag team for a while to come now. Them versus the Hart Foundation is a great combination.

Adonis, Snuka & Sheik - I'm putting these picks together as I have essentially the same thought on all of them. They seem like odd picks, but they would have done with the NWA as well. I guess the challenge is the WWF was so different in presentation to both the NWA and UWF at this time that some names had to be picked but weren't an obvious choice for either. Will keep an open mind to them, but not sure how they'll fit.

Big John Studd - awesome. Great fit, looking forward to seeing what he does.

Bob Orton & Barry O - eh, good enough. Adding a bit more weight to the tag scene is no bad thing and they'll make a great team.

As an aside with the NWA - Savage, Orndorff, Piper, Tito, Funk are all great shouts. Some fit a bit better with NWA than others, but they would have stood out in Mid-South and not in a good way, so glad to see them grouped in NWA. Man, their main event scene is going to be stacked, huh?!

All in all, so far so good. Obviously the proof is in the pudding and I'll keep an open mind as to what you do with them. Incorporating ten new acts in to your show will be an interesting challenge, especially given there is a pretty secure group of guys already in the company who I presume won't take too well to all these new faces. But some of the picks, in particular Murdoch, Windham, Schultz, Rotundo & Valentine have me very excited with what's to come.

Thread Information