Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Country Road Not Taken: Bill Watts vs. Jim Crockett

BTB Legend

Status

Mid-South Wrestling TV – April 25th 1985

Mid-South Wrestling TV – April 25th 1985

00:00 – 00:02 --- The opening sequence of Mid-South Wrestling Television plays out with clips of various wrestlers in action being shown to the backdrop of southern-style rock music. The clips then dissolve into a shot of the Irish McNeil Boys Club where the bleachers and sides are packed with fans, and the shot then cuts to the commentary table where …

Jim Ross and ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts are sat ready to provide the commentary for tonight’s action. Ross and Watts run down what we’ll be seeing; young Tom Prichard is here; the veteran Dutch Mantel is in action; Brad Armstrong will also be competing in the ring; and the big main event will see the Mid-South North American Champion Terry Taylor team up with Jim Duggan and Butch Reed to take on a trio led by Skandor Akbar; Kamala, the One Man Gang and Nord the Barbarian.

00:02 – 00:06 ---

Tom Prichard vs. Steve Brinson

The fiery youngster Tom Prichard was first in action tonight, Prichard showing a lot of grit and determination against his bigger opponent. In fact, Brinson had trouble dealing with his tenacious opponent, Prichard moving very quickly, seemingly coming at Brinson from all angles, and Jim Ross made the comment that Prichard wasn’t just quick; he was sudden.

Spoiler:

And that was how Prichard won the match, Prichard catching the flailing Brinson with a perfectly executed crucifix and holding him down for the three count

Result: Tom Prichard pinned Steve Brinson in 3:18 with a crucifix

00:06 – 00:07 --- His bout over with, Prichard makes his way over to the commentary table, where Jim Ross is waiting to get some words with him;

Jim Ross: “Tom Prichard, considered one of the bright rising stars in the sport, and I think you should a little of why that is.”

Tom Prichard: “Thank you for those words, Jim. You know, there’s a lot of tough, real tough competition here in the Mid-South area, and it’s a heck of a place to learn; and you have to learn fast or you’ll be swallowed up by the sharks. But I can learn fast and I’m doing my best to do just that, and hopefully, I’ll be having a lot more of the success you just saw me have here tonight.”

As Prichard leaves the interview area, Ross says we’re going to a commercial break and when we come back, we’ll be talking to Skandor Akbar and his newly expanded stable.

00:07 – 00:11 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:11 – 00:13 --- We’re back from the break and Jim Ross is still by the commentary table, and he has been joined by Skandor Akbar and his stable, which now consists of Kamala the Ugandan Giant, the One Man Gang, and Nord the Barbarian. Ross starts his interview by reminding us something he noted last week, that Akbar seemed to have quickly made the deal that brought One Man Gang into his group;

Jim Ross: “As you can see, Skandor Akbar’s stable now includes the One Man Gang, and Skandor; you got the deal with Gang down very quickly. It seemed to be done in very short order.”

Skandor Akbar: “It’s real simple, which means even these idiots out here may understand. What Skandor Akbar wants, he gets, and he gets it just like that. Well, Skandor Akbar wanted the One Man Gang, wanted this behemoth of destruction in his stable, and just like that I made the deal. This means that people like Terry Taylor, Jim Duggan or Butch Reed; anyone who is on our bad side, better watch out, better keep an eye over their shoulder, because we’ll be getting you real soon. Taylor, that North American Heavyweight title belongs to my stable and Kamala is going to rip it from your hands. Butch Reed, Nord the Barbarian has your number and you know it. And with the Gang there, ready to run help, what we want, what I want, we’re going to get, and nobody will be able to stop us.”

00:13 – 00:17 ---

Dutch Mantel vs. Stoney Burke

As Mantel was roughing up poor Stoney Burke, Bill Watts and Jim Ross went over the remarks Skandor Akbar just made and both men agreed that the addition of the One Man Gang to Akbar’s stable made Akbar and his group even more dangerous and that everyone in Mid-South better be careful. Mantel was very rough and physical as he battered Burke, Mantel really laying it in to the point that it almost felt like he was beating on Burke just for kicks

Spoiler:

And when Mantel finally put Burke away, it was as if he had simply gotten bored with toying with his overmatched opponent.

Result: Dutch Mantel pinned Stoney Burke in 3:06 after a knee to the back off the middle rope

00:17 – 00:18 --- After recapping the previous match, Bill Watts starts talking about the state of professional wrestling. In a very serious tone, Watts says that in some parts of the country, people have lost sight of what professional wrestling is supposed to be about; hard hitting athletic competition. They’ve tried to make it a circus sideshow and have found out, to their dear cost that that is not what fans want. Fans, Watts says, want hard hitting athletic competition; they want professional wrestling the way it is meant to be. Watts then says that the future is bright for the true fans of professional wrestling and Watts also says that things may get even brighter still.

00:18 – 00:22 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:22 – 00:23 --- We return from the break and Jim Ross talks about the ongoing rivalry between the Rock and Roll Express and the Dirty White Boys. Ross notes how each team has tried to get involved in each other’s matches, things have boiled over, and it doesn’t seem like this feud will abate any time soon. Ross then says that we are now going to some taped comments from the Dirty White Boys.

00:23 – 00:25 --- We then cut to a pre-taped interview with the Dirty White Boys, Tony Anthony and Len Denton;

Tony Anthony: “Morton and Gibson, you two punks think you want a fight with us, a fight with the Dirty Boys? Why do you think they call us ‘dirty’? They call us ‘dirty’ because that’s how we fight; dirty. We fight dirty, we wrestle dirty, and we can do it better than anyone. We can certainly do it better than you two chumps. We want those Mid-South Tag Team Titles, and what we want, we get. You two keep running but you can’t run forever, and sooner or later, those belts are ours.”

Len Denton: “They keep making like they want after us, want a piece of us, but they don’t. Morton and Gibson, you might have the people in the Mid-South fooled, thinking you’re men, but you don’t fool us. You’re cowards, you’re chickens, and when we corner you, and we will, we’ll prove it because you’ll be begging for us to stop hurting you.”

Tony Anthony: “But that ‘aint ever gonna happen.”

Len Denton: “And we’ll be hurting you for as long as we want to.”

00:25 – 00:28 ---

Brad Armstrong vs. Shawn Michaels

The Marietta native, Brad Armstrong was in action next, and he was in top form against the young rookie Shawn Michaels. Armstrong showed some great athleticism against Michaels, and whilst Watts and Ross commented on Michaels refusing stay down, they noted how Armstrong was just too good at putting it all together

Spoiler:

Armstrong flew a little, including a flying bodypress coming off the ropes, but it was his ground attack that eventually won the match as Armstrong got the pin after his trademark side-Russian leg sweep

Result: Brad Armstrong pinned Shawn Michaels in 2:42 after the side-Russian leg sweep

00:28 – 00:32 ---COMMMERCIAL BREAK

00:32 – 00:34 --- Back from the break and Ross and Watts talk about Terry Taylor, the current Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion, who is in action in our main event which is happening shortly. They note that one of his opponents, Kamala, is a man whose manager, Skandor Akbar, wants him to challenge once more for the North American Heavyweight Championship. They also talk about Jim Duggan and they wonder what Duggan will focus on now, now that he sent Ted DiBiase packing out of Mid-South Wrestling and has put that issue to bed. Watts then comments on the feud between Butch Reed and Nord the Barbarian, and Jim Ross wonders if, with so many issues in play during the main event, things will boil over and get out of control

00:35 – 00:38 --- As if on cue, the trio of Kamala, the One Man Gang, and Nord the Barbarian are led out by Skandor Akbar, who leads his group to the ring. A few moments later, there is a big cheer as Terry Taylor, Jim Duggan and Butch Reed come out, and they go over to the commentary table to give some comments ahead of this big main event;

Terry Taylor: “Skandor Akbar can talk about Kamala taking this North American Heavyweight title all he wants, because talk doesn’t win titles. What wins titles is heart and determination; Akbar, none of your men have any of those qualities. You send Kamala after me, you send the Gang; you send anyone you want, because nobody from your stable is taking this title.”

‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan: “I ‘aint a fan of Akbar; that clown keeps running down America, running down American wrestlers, American people, and I’m fixing to do something about it. You can be proud of your country; I ‘aint got a problem with that. But I got a problem with people running down other countries, and I got a problem with people running down mine. Akbar, you keep talking about America the way you do and I might take this American fist and jam it down your throat.”

‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed: “You got a lot of people after you, Akbar. But it’s you, Nord that I want my hands on. I got other people after me, but Nord, we got unfinished business, son, and maybe, just maybe, we might finish it tonight.”

The trio then make their way to the ring, and Jim Ross says we have one more commercial break to take, but when we come back we’ll have our main event.

00:38 – 00:42 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:42 – 00:56 ---

Mid-South North American Champion Terry Taylor ©, Jim Duggan and Butch Reed vs. Kamala, One Man Gang and Nord the Barbarian (with Skandor Akbar)

The main event of the evening was a very heated affair, but that was no surprise given the various personal issues that pervaded this contest. Terry Taylor and Kamala exchanged wild offense, punches and kicks, Taylor showing that he could brawl as well as wrestle, Taylor really taking the fight to Kamala and Skandor Akbar seemed very concerned at ringside. Akbar’s mood was not helped when Duggan and the One Man Gang began going toe-to-toe, with Dugan sending OMG tumbling out of the ring after a particular strong clothesline, and the fans in the packed Irish McNeil Boys Club were tremendously raucous after that

Things only swung in the favour of Akbar’s men when, almost predictably, Akbar himself got involved, the nefarious manager able to trip Duggan up on the blindside of the referee. The chicanery allowed One Man Gang to drop a beefy elbow onto the back of Duggan, Gang then tagging out to Nord the Barbarian who rushed in, eager to take over on his downed opponent

For an extended period, the trio of villains worked over Duggan, their teamwork and Akbar’s baiting of Taylor and Reed, allowing them to dish out some serious punishment. The fans remained behind Duggan, however, urging him on and when the tough-as-nails brawler caught Nord the Barbarian charging in, levelling him with a clothesline, the fans in the Irish McNeil Boys Club went wild. The fans remained hot and when Duggan tagged in Terry Taylor, they erupted, and Skandor Akbar was looking distraught as Taylor, the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion came charging in like the proverbial house on fire

Taylor dropped Nord with a right hand, then the One Man Gang when he came running in, before knocking Kamala off the ring apron with yet another punch. Taylor picked Nord up off his feet and pulled off an impressive vertical suplex, the fans really popping for this show of strength from the North American Heavyweight Champion. With Nord down, Taylor went in for a cover...one...two...kick out from Nord, but Nord was slow to get to his feet, the suplex clearly having taken a lot out of him, so Taylor measured his opponent before hitting the ropes and cracking him with the five-arm, the flying forearm, and Nord was sent tumbling down, rolling over and ending up on his back

Taylor covered Nord and hooked the near leg...one...two...Akbar reached in and put Nord’s other leg on the ropes, Akbar then gesticulating wildly to the referee to call his attention to the fact that Nord’s foot was on the rope, thereby forcing a break in the count. An enraged Taylor went for Akbar, grabbing for him through the ropes. This in turn caused the One Man Gang to go for Taylor, which drew Jim Duggan into the ring, then Kamala and Butch Reed in turn, and this six-man tag had broken down into chaos, with the fans in the Irish McNeil Boys Club going crazy for every second of it

[spoiler]
    All six men were now brawling but it was Taylor and Nord who were the legal men. Duggan and Gang fell out of the ring as they kept fighting, and Butch Reed sent Kamala tumbling back out onto the ring apron with a flying shoulder tackle. The referee ordered Reed to return to his corner and as this was going on, Duggan popped the fans by bodyslamming the One Man Gang at ringside. Meanwhile, Terry Taylor had Nord dazed and seemed poised to deliver another five-arm, but as Taylor hit the ropes, Akbar grabbed his leg, upending Taylor and leaving him dazed

Duggan went around the ring to go after Akbar, as Nord staggered over to his corner and tagged in Kamala. Akbar rolled into the ring, with Duggan going after him...only for the referee to stop Duggan in his tracks and order him to go to his corner. As Duggan remonstrated with the official, Nord charged across the ring and caught Butch Reed with a kick as Reed was coming into the ring to help out Taylor

Spoiler:

Meanwhile, a dazed Taylor staggered to his feet before falling into a neutral corner; Kamala charged across the ring and crushed Taylor with a monstrous avalanche; Taylor fell out of the corner and was out of it. As Akbar recovered at ringside, he called on Kamala to ‘finish him off’ and Kamala hit the ropes before launching himself into the air and coming crashing down onto Taylor with a big splash. Kamala hooked the leg and the referee turned his attention away from Duggan, who was still complaining and arguing with the official, and the referee moved in to make his count...one...two...three...and the fans booed, Bill Watts and Jim Ross were incredulous, but Kamala had managed to pin Terry Taylor, managed to pin the Mid-South North American Champion, and Skandor Akbar could not be more pleased

As the finish was replayed, Bill Watts decried the interference of Skandor Akbar, Watts calling it disgusting, but as Jim Ross pointed, however it happened, Kamala now had a pinfall victory over the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion.

Result: Kamala, One Man Gang and Nord the Barbarian beat Terry Taylor, Jim Duggan and Butch Reed in 13:25 when Kamala pinned Taylor after a big splash

END CREDITS

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Mid-South Wrestling TV – May 2nd 1985

Mid-South Wrestling TV – May 2nd 1985

00:00 – 00:02 --- The opening sequence of Mid-South Wrestling Television plays out with clips of various wrestlers in action being shown to the backdrop of southern-style rock music. The clips then dissolve into a shot of the Irish McNeil Boys Club where the bleachers and sides are packed with fans, and the shot then cuts to the commentary table where

Jim Ross and ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts are sat ready to provide the commentary for tonight’s action. Ross and Watts run down what we’ll be seeing; Butch Reed is in action; Kamala is competing here tonight and we’ll also be hearing from his manager, Skandor Akbar; Brad Armstrong will be wrestling; Steve Williams is also on deck; and our main event will see Ricky Morton take on Brickhouse Brown

In addition to all that great action, Bill Watts says that there will be a major announcement later on during the program and it’s going to concern a championship that is returning to Mid-South Wrestling.

00:02 – 00:04 ---

‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed vs. Richard Dye

‘Hacksaw’, a former powerhouse for the Kansas City Chiefs, showed that combination of power and speed as he put Richard Dye to the sword in our opening match of the night. During the match, such as it was, Jim Ross said that Reed would, like a lot of the wrestlers in Mid-South, be listening in later to find out what this new championship coming to Mid-South was; Bill Watts agreed, noting that Reed is a real competitor and he’ll want to be where the gold is, with Watts feeling that Reed could be a potential contender for this new title coming to Mid-South Wrestling

Spoiler:

As Watts said that, Reed flattened Dye with a flying shoulder tackle to pick a very convincing victory.

Result: ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed pinned Richard Dye in 1:48 after a flying shoulder tackle

00:04 – 00:06 --- Butch Reed, barely even breathing hard, walks over to the commentary table and the former football standout as a few words for his opponent from last week, Nord the Barbarian;

‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed: “Akbar, you and your clowns got lucky last week. Nord, you and I are not done, son; not by a long shot. We still have unfinished business, boy, and until that business is finished, I’ll be on you. I’ll be after you, I’ll be dogging you and I’ll be making it my mission to kick your tail all over the Mid-South.”

00:06 – 00:07 --- As Reed walks away, Bill Watts reminds us of what happened last week in the main event, a six-man tag, when Kamala managed to score the victory over the North American Heavyweight Champion Terry Taylor, albeit after a little help from his manager, Skandor Akbar. Watts says Akbar was obviously thrilled with what happened and Kamala will be action after break, and we’ll also be hearing from Akbar himself as well.

00:07 – 00:11 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:11 – 00:13 --- We are back from the break and Skandor Akbar, with Kamala beside him, as at the commentary table, ready to be interviewed by Jim Ross, who immediately brings up what happened last week in the six-man tag;

Jim Ross: “Skandor Akbar, you had to be very pleased, last week, when your man, Kamala, scored the victory over the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion Terry Taylor.”

Skandor Akbar: “Kamala did it, like I told you he would; Kamala put Terry Taylor down, he put the North American Heavyweight Champion down for the three count. Now as far as I’m concerned, that makes Kamala the number one contender to the North American Heavyweight Championship. Don’t you agree, Ross? I’m sure you do.”

Jim Ross: “Well, I think the manner in which Kamala gained that victory will...”

Skandor Akbar: “Who cares about the manner, Ross? All that matters is Kamala did what very few people have been able to do; he pinned the North American Champion, he pinned Terry Taylor, putting his shoulders to the mat for three. Taylor, you can’t run any longer. This man, this beast; he’s not a man, he’s a savage. He is the number one contender for your title Taylor and you can’t deny it, the people can’t, and Mid-South Wrestling can’t deny it. You’re looking at the man who’s going to be the next Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion.”

At that, Akbar marches off, leading Kamala towards the ring, where his opponent, Shawn Michaels, awaits him

00:13 – 00:15 ---

Kamala (with Skandor Akbar)vs. Shawn Michaels

The lumbering and lurching Kamala made short work of a very game opponent, and Jim Ross admitted that whilst Shawn Michaels was terribly overmatched, he was still trying his best, with Bill Watts expressing the opinion that it was importing to always give your best. It wasn’t good enough, however, for Michaels, who gave Kamala anything more than a moment of trouble, a moment that was short-lived and ended with a walloping clothesline

Spoiler:

Bill Watts commented on just how much of a beast, a behemoth Kamala is, which was displayed in evidence when the Ugandan brawler threw his massive frame through the air to crush Michaels under his bulk, knocking the wind and the fight right out of Michaels. Jim Ross called Kamala dangerous and devastating, which Kamala had certainly proven to be tonight.

Result: Kamala pinned Shawn Michaels in 1:24 after a big splash

00:15 – 00:17 --- Bill Watts and Jim Ross acknowledge the showing that Kamala just made, and they admit, albeit reluctantly, that Kamala’s victory over Terry Taylor, however it was obtained, does indeed, in all probability, put him in line for a title shot at Taylor’s North American Heavyweight Championship. Ross then says Taylor has his own view on this, in these comments taped earlier today, and we cut to a pre-taped interview with Terry Taylor;

Terry Taylor: “I have to hand it you, Akbar and Kamala; however you did it, that behemoth beat me. People can point to the interference of Nord, the referee being occupied with Duggan, but in the end, Kamala got the pinfall and that’s all that really matters. However he ‘earned it, Kamala earned his title shot; so you got it, Kamala. You’re now in line for a shot at this North American Heavyweight Championship, but let me warn you two of something. Earning a title shot is one thing, but actually taking this title from me is another matter entirely."

00:17 – 00:21 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:21 – 00:23 --- We return from the break with Bill Watts and Jim Ross at the commentary table. Bill Watts talks about how the goal for any wrestler in the sport is to become a champion, and that their ultimate goal is to be the world’s champion. Watts says that right now, the main title in Mid-South is the North American Heavyweight Championship, and Watts says when the world’s champion comes into the Mid-South area, it’s the North American Heavyweight Champion who gets the shot at the world champion. Now, Watts says, Mid-South is going to re-introduce a title that could very well put the holder of that title on course for a shot at the North American Heavyweight Championship

Jim Ross then informs us that in the coming weeks, there will be a tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion. Ross says that the champion will be defending his title on a regular basis on television, and that if he puts together a suitable impressive reign, the Mid-South Television Champion will get a shot at the Mid-South North American Champion

Watts says that more details of the tournament will be revealed later on this hour, and that the tournament will take place right here on Mid-South Television.

00:23 – 00:26 ---

Brad Armstrong vs. Paul Brown

This was another match that didn’t last long, and in this case it was because of the speed and quickness of Brad Armstrong; Paul Brown didn’t seem to know whether he was coming or going, Armstrong’s agility catching Brown completely off-guard. Bill Watts even called Armstrong one of the quickest men in professional wrestling, something you would be hard pressed to argue with given how Armstrong moved around the ring here

Spoiler:

Indeed, it was this quickness that gave Armstrong the ability to slip behind his opponent and swiftly set up and execute the side-Russian legsweep, leaving Brown easy prey for the pinfall.

Result: Brad Armstrong pinned Paul Brown in 1:24 after the side-Russian leg sweep

00:26 – 00:30 --- Brad Armstrong comes over to the interview area to talk to Jim Ross, who notes the impressive showing by Armstrong, who won in little over a minute;

Brad Armstrong: “Well, thanks Jim. It’s a good win and I’m hoping to get many more like it. You know, I heard the talk earlier about the new title coming to Mid-South, the Mid-South Television Championship. Well, if that title can springboard someone to the North American Heavyweight title, which can then get you a shot at the world’s champion, then I want to be part of that tournament. I want that Mid-South Television Championship, and you know what; I think I can get it. The way I see it...”

*there is a reaction from the fans as Dutch Mantel has come out from the back and he doesn’t look too happy as he makes his way over to where Brad Armstrong and Jim Ross are standing*

Dutch Mantel: “Why in the heck are you interviewing this kid, Ross? You oughta be interviewing me, ‘Dirty’ Dutch. I’m the one who oughta be out here. Hey, kid; it was a nice win, but why don’t you run along to the back and I can get some interview time.”

Brad Armstrong: “I’m not going anywhere, Mantel. They wanted to interview me, not you, so get over it and get over yourself.”

Dutch Mantel: “Listen, punk. I don’t care who you are or what you’ve done or even what you’re name is. Don’t you ever talk to me like that, you hear me? Don’t you ever...”

Brad Armstrong: “If you’re going to interrupt me, interrupt my interview time, I’ll talk to you however I like. If you want to be interviewed, then maybe you oughta be someone that people want to hear listen. You might get some interview time if people could stand to hear you talk.”

Dutch Mantel: “Who the heck do you think you are, boy?”

*Mantel gets in the face of Armstrong, who does not back down, and the two keep arguing before Mantel literally throws his hands in the air and storms off, yelling at Armstrong all the while. Jim Ross calls it a volatile situation and he wonders whether we’ve seen the last of the problems between Armstrong and Mantel*

00:30 – 00:34 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:34 – 00:36 ---

‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams vs. Frankie Lane

Steve Williams was in no mood to mess around, ‘Dr Death’ attacking Frankie Lane right at the bell and giving the poor Lane no chance to ever be in the match. Williams tossed Lane around with reckless abandon, repeatedly pressing him high above his head before dumping him on the mat in a rude fashion. Just as Jim Ross was commenting on Williams’ viciousness, the Oklahoma standout hoisted Lane up with total ease before running him into the corner, turning around and then delivering a huge running powerslam, the Oklahoma Stampede

Spoiler:

Williams didn’t even bother making proper cover, as he casually placed a foot on the chest of Lane and got the academic three count.

Result: ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams pinned Frankie Lane in 1:03 after the Oklahoma Stampede

00:36 – 00:37 --- Steve Williams saunters over to the commentary table where Jim Ross is ready to interview the burly and surly Oklahoma native;

Jim Ross: “Steve Williams, you wasted little time here tonight in putting your opponent away in very short order.”

Steve Williams: “Just like my match, Ross, I’m gonna keep this short and straight to the point. I want in that tournament for the Mid-South Television Championship. I want gold around my waist and I think it’s about time I got some. I want that world’s championship most of all, and the TV title seems like a good place to start, so I’m putting my name in the hat for that tournament and I’m fixing to win the gold.”

*Williams walks off and Jim Ross returns to the desk, with Bill Watts, and the two start to talk once more about the tournament to crown a Mid-South Television Champion*

00:37 – 00:43 --- Bill says that over the next couple of weeks, the Mid-South board of directors will be sitting down with Grizzly Smith, the matchmaker for Mid-South Wrestling, to determine the eight most deserving wrestlers to be put into the single elimination tournament that will crown the new Mid-South Television Champion. Jim Ross then says that, over the course of several weeks, the tournament matches will take place right here on Mid-South Television, including the tournament final.

Bill starts to talk about when the tournament will start but he is interrupted by the arrival of Skandor Akbar, who shows up looking overly excited and grabs a headset and mic to talk;

Skandor Akbar: “I’m out here to stake my claim, stake my wrestlers’ claim to a spot in that tournament. Mid-South Sports, Mid-South Wrestling; they don’t want me, don’t want my men in that tournament, but we should be in it, we’re going to be in it, and more than that; we’ll win the whole thing.”

*Akbar drops the headset and the mic and walks off, leaving Jim Ross to shake his head over the rudeness of the nefarious manager*

Bill Watts apologises over the interruption and goes back to talking about the tournament. Watts says that the participants in the tournament will be decided upon over the next few weeks, and that the tournament is set to begin in four weeks right here on Mid-South Wrestling television.

00:43 – 00:47 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:47 – 00:55 ---

Ricky Morton vs. Brickhouse Brown

This was a fairly fast-paced contest, with Brickhouse jumping Morton before the match could officially begin, leaving the referee furiously calling for the bell and remonstrating with Brown. Brown enjoyed an early advantage, understandably, and employed some rougher tactics, shall we say; the fans definitely didn’t like Brown for using them. But Ricky Morton is quite resilient, as Bill Watts pointed out on commentary, and the fiery young man was soon the one in control, bouncing Brown around the ring, including a well-timed dropkick that had Brown reeling

Brown made a big attempt to get back into the match with more of the aforementioned roughhouse tactics...

Spoiler:

And they were the undoing of Brown, filling him with false bravado; Brown charged into the corner to attack Morton, allowing Morton to throw his legs over Brown and then take him over with a sunset flip and gain the pinfall victory.

Result: Ricky Morton pinned Brickhouse Brown in 7:25 with a sunset flip

00:55 – 00:56 ---

Spoiler:

The match is over but no sooner has Ricky Morton raised his hands in celebration than the Dirty White Boy’s, Tony Anthony and Len Denton have hit the ring to attack Morton. The fans boo as Anthony and Denton began assaulting Morton, but just as quickly as the DWB’s arrived, Robert Gibson hits the ring to save his tag team partner and friend. Gibson gets in only a few punches before Anthony and Denton flee the ring, neither man wanting any part of Gibson. As Gibson tends to Morton, who seems to be OK, Bill Watts remarks on the friendship between Morton and Gibson, calling them real men, not cowards who attack from behind. Jim Ross observes that with Anthony and Denton having been thwarted here tonight, what will they do next, given that they clearly intend to take out the Rock and Roll Express.

END CREDITS

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Mid-South Wrestling TV – May 9th 1985

Mid-South Wrestling TV – May 9th 1985

00:00 – 00:02 --- The opening sequence of Mid-South Wrestling Television plays out with clips of various wrestlers in action being shown to the backdrop of southern-style rock music. The clips then dissolve into a shot of the Irish McNeil Boys Club where the bleachers and sides are packed with fans, and the shot then cuts to the commentary table where

Jim Ross and ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts are sat ready to provide the commentary for tonight’s action. Ross and Watts run down what we’ll be seeing; Nord the Barbarian is in action; as is Tom Prichard; Tony Anthony of the Dirty White Boy’s is in singles competition; Brad Armstrong will be here; and the main event will see ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed take on the One Man Gang.

Nord the Barbarian (with Skandor Akbar)vs. Stoney Burke

With Skandor Akbar shouting him on, Nord the Barbarian wasted little time laying into his opponent. Not that Nord needed any encouragement to be vicious, with Jim Ross calling Nord one of the most vicious and reckless wrestlers in the Mid-South area. Nord showed that viciousness in both how he beat up on his opponent…

Spoiler:

…and how quickly he dispatched him, with Nord putting Burke away in just over a minute with a big boot to the face.

Result: Nord the Barbarian pinned Stoney Burke in 1:36 after a big boot

00:04 – 00:05 --- After the mathc, Skandor Akbar and Nord the Barbarian make a point of coming over to the commentary table, with Akbar once more having something that he feels needs to be said;

Skandor Akbar: “You just saw what one of my men can do; this man is an unstoppable force. And it may just be him; it may be Nord the Barbarian in that TV title tournament and the rest of the Mid-South better watch out.”

00:05 – 00:06 --- As Akbar and Nord walk off, Bill Watts says that comments like we’ve just heard from Akbar typify the general feeling of every wrestler in Mid-South; they want in the TV title tournament and they’re very confident of winning it. Jim Ross then reminds us that by winning the Mid-South Television Championship, a wrestler could use that title to springboard themselves to a shot at the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Championship and then move on to challenge for the world’s championship.

00:06 – 00:10 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:10 – 00:14 ---

Tom Prichard vs. Steve Casey

Tom Prichard was in action next and the rambunctious young newcomer continued to show the kind of fire that is starting to get him noticed in Mid-South. He didn’t have it easy early on, with Casey being very rough and brutal with Prichard. But Prichard once more showed he can weather a storm as he fought back into the contest

Spoiler:

Casey tried to ramp up the roughhousing, but it wasn’t enough and Prichard caught Casey by surprise with a crucifix, a clever counter that seems to be Prichard’s winning hold of choice.

Result: Tom Prichard pinned Steve Casey in 3:32 with a crucifix

00:14 – 00:15 --- Jim Ross is at ringside to get some words with Prichard, who looks very excited and acknowledges the fans before talking;

Jim Ross: “Tom Prichard, continuing to make waves and garner fan support in Mid-South.”

Tom Prichard: “You mentioned that TV title tournament earlier, Jim, and you know, it would be a big step for me, a real big one. But you have to push yourself, really push yourself to get anywhere in this sport. And I may get my tail kicked in that tournament, but you know what; whatever happens, I’m putting up a fight and however things pan out, anyone who steps foot into the ring against me is gonna know they’ve been in a fight.”

*As Prichard walks off, Ross mentions that many others have expressed an interest in being in the TV title tournament, including both of the Dirty White Boy’s and we go some pre-taped comments from one of Mid-South’s leading tag teams*

00:15 – 00:17 ---

Tony Anthony: “If there’s gold to be had, we want it. The Dirty White Boy’s want gold; heck, we deserve all the gold. Whether it’s singles gold or tag team gold, we’ll be after it until we get it, and we will get it.”

Len Denton: “Telling it like it is, as always. My tag team partner is right; we deserve all the gold. Rock and Roll Express, we’ll be getting those tag team titles from you and you won’t stop us. And this TV title tournament won’t be any different; we want that title, and we’ll get it. Only question is which one of us will it be.”

Tony Anthony: “And if you’ve forgotten what either one of us can do in singles action, you’re about to be reminded and I’m gonna show you what happens when even just one of us is in that ring.”

00:17 – 00:20 ---

Tony Anthony vs. Steve Brinson

Bill Watts noted that Tony Anthony was wrestling like a man with something to prove such was the ferocity and almost rage that Anthony was competing with; he was really putting a hurting on Steve Brinson, and it was a little hard to watch at times. Choking, punching and kicking; Anthony was showing quite the range of roughhouse-style tactics, almost waving off the protestations off the referee like they were a minor inconvenience

Spoiler:

As brutal as that was, though, Anthony’s match winning move was even more brutal, a nasty looking full-nelson facebuster that saw Anthony drive Brinson’s face right into the mat, knocking Brinson out cold.

Result: Tony Anthony pinned Steve Brinson in 2:12 after the full-nelson facebuster

00:20 – 00:24 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:24 – 00:27 ---

Brad Armstrong vs. Terry Daniels

We’re back from the break and we go straight into more wrestling, with Brad Armstrong in action. As ever, Armstrong was quick and agile, with both Bill Watts and Jim Ross noting the speed and dexterity of Armstrong, and the fans cheering some of Armstrong’s fancier footwork. They were especially excited when Armstrong backflipped over Daniels after Daniels had whipped him into the corner and charged in after Armstrong

Spoiler:

Armstrong quickly cinched Daniels up for and then executed the side-Russian leg sweep. The fans were still buzzing as the referee made his three count and Armstrong had recorded the victory.

Result: Brad Armstrong pinned Terry Daniels in 2:34 after the side-Russian leg sweep

00:27 – 00:31 --- Jim Ross goes to ringside to interview Brad Armstrong, and Ross asks Brad if he wants in the tournament to crown a Mid-South Television Champion;

Jim Ross: “Brad Armstrong, looking sharp, and Brad; there’s been a lot of talk about the upcoming tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion. A lot of wrestlers want to be in that tournament; are you one of them? Do you want to be in the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion?”

Brad Armstrong: “Absolutely, I do, Jim. You know, every wrestler dreams of becoming the world’s champion, and I’m no different. I would love to be world’s champion and I’m doing everything I can to achieved that dream. Around here, the North American Heavyweight Champion gets the shot at the world’s champion whenever he’s in the area, and the Mid-South Television Champion can get himself a shot at that North American title. So, the way I see it…”

*there is booing from the fans as Dutch Mantel walks out, and Bill Watts reminds us that Mantel interrupted Armstrong’s interview last week and that there is no love lost between these two men. Armstrong readies himself for a confrontation and Jim Ross urges Mantel not to start anything*

Dutch Mantel: “I’m not here to start anything, Ross. I’m out here for a simple reason, and that’s to challenge you, Armstrong, to a match during the TV title tournament. I want in that tournament and you want in that tournament, so let’s settle this thing between us in that tournament. What do you say, Armstrong?”

Brad Armstrong: “I don’t know who’s in that tournament, Mantel, but if we’re both in it…”

Dutch Mantel: “I know I’ll be in it; I think that’s a given. You, on the other hand…”

Brad Armstrong: “Nobody knows who’s in the tournament, Mantel; Mid-South haven’t decided yet, isn’t that right, Jim?”

Jim Ross: “That is correct; the participants in the tournament have yet to be decided. We’ll find out soon, though.”

Brad Armstrong: “But if we are in that tournament, Mantel, then I’ll have no problem facing you and I’ll have no problem putting you in your place.”

Dutch Mantel: “Putting me in my place? Put this in your place…”

*Mantel throws a punch at Armstrong but Armstrong blocks it and decks Mantel with a punch of his own. Armstrong smiles and shakes his head, Armstrong then walking off, leaving Mantel to nurse a bruised jaw and Jim Ross to send us to the next commercial break*

00:31 – 00:35 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:35 – 00:38 --- We return from the break to see Jim Ross still at ringside but with him now is the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion, Terry Taylor.

Jim Ross: “Terry Taylor, we saw what happened in that six-man tag, when the interference of Skandor Akbar allowed Kamala to gain the pinfall victory over you. It was a treacherous act from Akbar, but be that as it may; Kamala did get a pinfall victory over you, and as a result, Kamala will get the match Akbar has been clamouring for and he will challenge you for the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Championship.”

Terry Taylor: “They got the rematch they wanted, Jim, but the people all saw how they ‘earned’ it; they had to cheat. You had to cheat, Akbar, and you know it, but if that’s the game you wanna play, doing whatever it takes to win that’s fine by me. If you wanna keep pushing me, Akbar, keep trying to play your games, keep trying to make things rough and nasty, you go for it pal. Because if you do, you’ll find out that when it comes to being rough and nasty, when it comes to kicking things up a notch, that I’m not only not the walkover you think I am, but I can do those things just as well as you can. If your guys wanna stretch the rules, fine; I’ll break them. Your guys wanna throw a punch, I’ll throw a chair. Your guys wanna swing a chair, I’ll swing a chain. You see, it doesn’t matter how rough you and your men get, Akbar; I can be rougher, and if you wanna find that out up close, real close, then you keep pushing me. Akbar, you might have wanted this match, but getting what you want doesn’t always make you happy, and you’ll find that out when Kamala gets his shot at my North American Heavyweight title.”

*A very determined Taylor walks off, the fans cheering and applauding his fighting words. Jim Ross mentions how the Mid South Television Championship tournament has garnered a lot of interest from all the wrestlers in the Mid-South, and two more men who want in that tournament are the Rock and Roll Express*

00:38 – 00:40 --- We cut to a pre-taped promo from Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson, the Rock and Roll Express;

Ricky Morton: “Word gets around about the tournament for the Mid-South Television Championship. Not just about what it means, but who wants in it, and Anthony and Denton, the Dirty White Boy’s, we know you two want in the tournament. Well, if you want in the tournament, so do we, because it means we can get our hands on you, that’s if either one of you have the guts to face either of us one-on-one.”

Robert Gibson: “You know, I don’t reckon they do. My partner has it right; Anthony and Denton, you don’t want any part of the Rock and Roll Express one-on-one. You’re always jumping us from behind. But let’s see how good you are when it’s one-on-one. Dirty White Boy’s; in that tournament or not, we’re gunning for you.”

00:40 – 00:44 --- Bill Watts and Jim Ross talk about the upcoming tournament to crown a Mid-South Television Champion, and they both note how because the Television Champion can earn himself a shot at the North American Heavyweight Championship, a title that can the holder of it a chance at the world’s championship, that every wrestler in the Mid-South area wants to be part of that tournament. However, Watts notes that only eight wrestlers can be in the tournament and just who those eight will be have yet to be decided

It was at this time that Skandor Akbar came out with the One Man Gang for the main event, but Akbar gestured for Gang to go the ring while Akbar came over to the commentary table, and Jim Ross sounded exasperated at the thought of having to once again hear what Skandor Akbar had to say

Skandor Akbar: “That tournament for the Mid-South Television Champion is coming soon, and I want it known that someone from my stable, will be in that tournament and you’ll find out which man that is, and you’ll find out very soon.”

Jim Ross: "As I’m sure you know, as the fans know, it’s down to Grizzly Smith and the board of directors of Mid-South who’ll be in that tournament. Nobody’s place in that tournament is guaranteed.”

Skandor Akbar: “Do you know who I am, Jim Ross?”

Jim Ross: "Yeah, but we all have our crosses to bear.”

Skandor Akbar: “Very funny(!) People who know who I am also know the kind of talent I have in my stable, and the kind of talent I have in my stable cannot be denied a place in that tournament. It’s guaranteed as far as I’m concerned; one of my men will be in the tournament to crown a Mid-South Television Champion.”

*Akbar walks off*

Jim Ross: "I give that man the respect he deserves, which is none at all.”

*Bill Watts laughs and commiserates with Ross for having to deal with Akbar, before telling us we’re heading to our final commercial break, and then it’s time for the main event; ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed taking on the One Man Gang*

00:44 – 00:48 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:48 – 00:56 ---

Butch Reed vs. One Man Gang (with Skandor Akbar)

This was not a technical masterpiece but it was never going to be with a powerhouse against a monster. Reed had trouble dealing with size of Gang early on, which caused Skandor Akbar no end of glee at ringside. Akbar’s smile was wiped off his face, though, when Reed ducked the wild swings of Gang and then came off the ropes with a flying clothesline the felled Gang. The fans applauded loudly and Gang rolled out to the floor to seek the counsel of his manager

When Gang returned to the ring, the match remained a pure brawl with punches and kicks the order of the day. Reed appeared to be getting the upper hand as the match developed, which saw Akbar looking increasingly concerned. So concerned was Akbar that he was soon waving to the back in what seemed to an attempt at calling for help. It didn’t take long for that help to appear in the form of Nord the Barbarian and Kamala, who came jogging out from the back

The two had only just gut to ringside, Akbar immediately talking with his charges, when the North American Heavyweight Champion Terry Taylor and Jim Duggan came out as well, looking to even things up. With so many men at ringside, it almost looked like a lumberjack match. And it went from only looking like a lumberjack match to actually being like a lumberjack match, with first Kamala interfering to trip up Reed and then Taylor immediately tripping up Gang in retaliation to stop him from taking advantage of the situation. Bill Watts then reminded us that Taylor had said earlier tonight that he would show Akbar he could be just as dirty as any of Akbar’s men and he had just proven it with meeting like with like

However, the volatility soon got out of hand with everyone at ringside interfering at one point or another, in a match that never seemed like it would end without controversy...

Spoiler:

and that’s precisely what happened here; when Nord tried to interfere once more, Reed dragged him into the ring, which saw Kamala hit the ring, and then everyone at ringside followed suit, hitting the ring to spark off a wild six-man brawl that had fans going crazy. The referee was given no choice but to call for the bell, throwing the match out, but that was the least of his concerns, as the brawl continued, and as the program went off the air, Jim Ross was screaming about the chaos and how things had got completely out of hand!

Result: Butch Reed battled One Man Gang to a no-contest in 7:23

END CREDITS

BTB of the Year 2012

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Re: A Country Road Not Taken: Bill Watts vs. Jim Crockett

I did say I was going to be a constant reader of this when you made your first few posts and that hasn’t necessarily been the case. I have had some time today though and I’ve actually gone through and read every show that you’ve posted to ensure I’m up to date. Anyway, here’s some comments on your most recent show…

Nord The Barbarian opening up with an easy squash win is fine. I’m glad you’re sticking to the booking style that Mid South used, with a majority of the matches just being short, talent enhancement matches. Skandor Akbar is building quite the stable; the only thing needed is a name for the stable. But I’m enjoying the three heels vs. three faces at the top of the card at the moment.

Props on the TV Title Tournament as well. Smart move to give more of the mid card guys something to aim for, and it even makes these short squash matches seem more important. Everybody wants to impress to get a spot in the tournament, good, solid booking all around.

I’m predicting big things from Tom Prichard in this thread. Not much has happened yet, but he continues to pick up the victories to build himself up. Not only that, but you keep giving him mic time as well, which shows that he’s somewhat important. Another man wanting in the tournament makes sense, no issues with what you’re doing with Prichard, and the tournament will be good to give him a real purpose.

Dirty White Boys promo was pretty solid, just putting themselves over really. All of these promos have such an old school feel to them, love it. I really hope the tag teams don’t over saturate the tournament brackets though, that would be disappointing.

And Tony Anthony getting the win on the back of that promo makes perfect sense. Really enjoying the tag feud, I think that and the Akbar crew vs. faces are my favourite things happening at the moment.

Another solid win for Brad Armstrong but obviously the aftermath is what was important here. Another man who is interested in the tournament because that is now what this thread will be built around over the next month of shows. Mantel following up after last week’s confrontation was fun and I look forward to seeing these two lock horns. With the tournament not starting for another 3-4 weeks, plenty of time to build even more heat between these guys as well.

Really enjoyed the Terry Taylor promo here as it showed some real intensity. It seems like he is finally getting fed up with the heels tactics and is willing to fight fire with fire. This could lead to all sorts of fun, great stuff.

The tag champs wanting to be in the tournament to get at the DWB’s makes sense, but really hoping half the tournament isn’t filled with tag guys who we know won’t win the TV title before the tournament even starts.

Skandor Akbar promo was solid enough, hyping up his talent for the tournament. He’s been used very well in this thread so far to easily become the most hated man on the roster.

I like that the main event got a bit more time here, and it reminds me that I really enjoyed the 6 man tag you wrote a few shows back. Anyway, I loved the fact that the faces came down as soon as the heels though to keep things even. Terry Taylor interfering as Kamala did was awesome, and the reference to his earlier promo was perfect. Ending things in a massive brawl is fitting for now, as this heated rivalry is obviously far from over. A really good way to end the show.

Things are flowing well with this one, at the moment. Younger, lower card talent are slowly being built nice and feuds are developing, TV Title tournament is in the works, and the top of the card feuds have been fun for awhile now. Looking forward to seeing how this continues to develop, especially with the awesome WWF failing story that is running in the background. Being a little less active than usual, I can’t guarantee constant feedback, but I’ll try and follow and chime in when I can because this is great stuff.

BTB Legend

Status

Quote Originally Posted by stojy View Post
    I did say I was going to be a constant reader of this when you made your first few posts and that hasn’t necessarily been the case. I have had some time today though and I’ve actually gone through and read every show that you’ve posted to ensure I’m up to date. Anyway, here’s some comments on your most recent show…
    I know the feeling on not being able to as active as you’d like. I haven’t had the time to be as active a contributor as I would like, and it can be frustrating.

Nord The Barbarian opening up with an easy squash win is fine. I’m glad you’re sticking to the booking style that Mid South used, with a majority of the matches just being short, talent enhancement matches. Skandor Akbar is building quite the stable; the only thing needed is a name for the stable. But I’m enjoying the three heels vs. three faces at the top of the card at the moment.
    The intention is to stick to the Mid-South style of booking as much as possible. Squash matches, whilst not as intense to write as competitive matches, still have their own style to them, and they aren’t as necessarily straightforward to write as you’d think, at least if you want to do them well.

Props on the TV Title Tournament as well. Smart move to give more of the mid card guys something to aim for, and it even makes these short squash matches seem more important. Everybody wants to impress to get a spot in the tournament, good, solid booking all around.
    I believe that a strong midcard title can add a lot, both in terms of giving depth to TV program and because, like you said, it gives the midcard guys something to aim for, it makes the midcard mean something,

If Mid-South didn’t already have a TV title, I would have brought one in. And it’s an added bonus that I like a good tournament.

I’m predicting big things from Tom Prichard in this thread. Not much has happened yet, but he continues to pick up the victories to build himself up. Not only that, but you keep giving him mic time as well, which shows that he’s somewhat important. Another man wanting in the tournament makes sense, no issues with what you’re doing with Prichard, and the tournament will be good to give him a real purpose.
    We’ll have to come back to this to see whether or not we can call you Carnac.

Dirty White Boys promo was pretty solid, just putting themselves over really. All of these promos have such an old school feel to them, love it. I really hope the tag teams don’t over saturate the tournament brackets though, that would be disappointing.
    It is a lot of fun writing promos that are intended to draw money rather than intended to get a laugh out of a 72-year-old with the sense of humour of an 8-year-old. It force you to give the promo a real, serious focus when they’re meant to be serious and not done for laughs.

Another solid win for Brad Armstrong but obviously the aftermath is what was important here. Another man who is interested in the tournament because that is now what this thread will be built around over the next month of shows. Mantel following up after last week’s confrontation was fun and I look forward to seeing these two lock horns. With the tournament not starting for another 3-4 weeks, plenty of time to build even more heat between these guys as well.
    Mantel is another guy who is fun to write for. Mantel is such a good heel, and it’s easy to see why he never had trouble finding work. Mantel and Armstrong play off of each so well because they are two very different personalities.

Really enjoyed the Terry Taylor promo here as it showed some real intensity. It seems like he is finally getting fed up with the heels tactics and is willing to fight fire with fire. This could lead to all sorts of fun, great stuff.
    It’s a shame that Taylor never got the push in JCP that matched his talent. As I’ve said previously, I would have loved to have seen Taylor get another chance in JCP once Dusty had moved on.

I like that the main event got a bit more time here, and it reminds me that I really enjoyed the 6 man tag you wrote a few shows back. Anyway, I loved the fact that the faces came down as soon as the heels though to keep things even. Terry Taylor interfering as Kamala did was awesome, and the reference to his earlier promo was perfect. Ending things in a massive brawl is fitting for now, as this heated rivalry is obviously far from over. A really good way to end the show.
    The nature of Mid-South TV makes it a lot of fun to write, especially the endings, which were usually explosive in nature and/or added another layer to an ongoing storyline.

Things are flowing well with this one, at the moment. Younger, lower card talent are slowly being built nice and feuds are developing, TV Title tournament is in the works, and the top of the card feuds have been fun for awhile now. Looking forward to seeing how this continues to develop, especially with the awesome WWF failing story that is running in the background. Being a little less active than usual, I can’t guarantee constant feedback, but I’ll try and follow and chime in when I can because this is great stuff.
    Writing weekly episodic television again is not something that I anticipated doing again, but now that I am, it’s a lot of fun. Part of that is because of the subject matter; I chose Mid-South because I knew that it would probably be a great deal of fun to write, and I was right. It’s been tremendous fun. And that is the key to having a BTB that lasts. If a BTB is fun to write, that, regardless of almost anything else, is what ensures that you will keep going. Because if it’s fun to write, you’ll want to make sure that the fun lasts as long as possible.

All constructive feedback is cheerfully appreciated, and if it takes a while to arrive, that’s OK.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Mid-South Wrestling TV – May 16th 1985

Mid-South Wrestling TV – May 16th 1985

Jim Ross and ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts are sat ready to provide the commentary for tonight’s action. Ross and Watts run down what we’ll be seeing; Brickhouse Brown takes on Mark Ragin; Ricky Morton of the Rock and Roll Express faces one half of the Dirty White Boy’s, Len Denton; Steve Williams is in action; and a great main event will pit ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan and ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed against Kamala and the One Man Gang

00:02 – 00:07 ---

Brickhouse Brown vs. Mark Ragin

This was total roughhouse-style match, with Brown laying into Ragin with knees to the gut, forearms across the back, and generally mistreating him in a fairly abusive manner. Bill Watts remarked that Brown must still be seething from his loss to Ricky Morton not too long ago, something Jim Ross concurred with, saying that Brown’s demeanour was like that of a man not in a good mood.

Spoiler:

Indeed, it certainly looked as if Brown was in a bad mood, and even when he ended the contest, putting Ragin down with a belly-to-back suplex off the middle rope, Brown’s disposition did not seem to improve.

Result: Brickhouse Brown pinned Mark Ragin in 4:26 after a belly-to-back suplex off the middle rope

00:07 – 00:08 --- Bill Watts and Jim Ross remind us about the upcoming tournament to crown the first Mid-South Television Champion. Watts then reveals that all of the participants in the tournament as well as the bracketing will be revealed next week right here on Mid-South television.

00:08 – 00:12 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:12 – 00:13 --- We’re back from the break with some pre-taped comments from Jake Roberts and like a lot of wrestlers in Mid-South, Jake has something to say regarding the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion;

Jake Roberts: “In some ways, I’m a man like any other. Not many, cos I am...*laughs slightly*...a better man than most, but the one thing I do share with a lot of men is the desire for gold; and for me, it’s sometimes a real deep need. And if getting gold means being part of the tournament crown a TV champion then I’m in. Count me in, Mid-South, because I want gold, I need gold, and I’ll do absolutely anything to get it”.

00:13 – 00:21 ---

Ricky Morton vs. Len Denton

We hurriedly cut back to the ring as our next match had gotten underway a little ahead of schedule, with Ricky Morton hitting the ring to go after Len Denton, his opponent and current rival as the Rock and Roll Express were currently embroiled in a feud with the Dirty White Boy’s. Needless to say, this was not a technical masterpiece, with neither man showing the wrestling skills they possessed, as Morton and Denton were more than happy to brawl and exchange punches and kicks rather the moves and countermoves

Repeatedly, the referee tried to get things under control, to get Morton and Denton to stay within the rules. But the two would hear nothing of it, ignoring the referee as they punched, kicked and grabbed each other by the throat, and Bill Watts called this display the actions of two men who absolutely despise one another.

Spoiler:

There were few covers made as Morton and Denton were more intent on beating one another up than wining the match. But Morton and Denton’s ntent on doing harm to each other was such that when the referee tried to separate the two as they were choking each other, they both shoved the referee down; the crowd actually seemed to enjoy that, but the referee didn’t as he quickly called for the bell disqualifying both men

Any disquiet over the finish was drowned out by the cheers as Morton and Denton kept fighting, literally scratching and clawing and a number of wrestlers hit the ring to try and separate the two, with Jim Ross telling us that we’ll try and get things under control as we went to a commercial break.

Result: Ricky Morton battled Len Denton to a double-disqualification in 7:27

00:21 – 00:24 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:24 – 00:26 ---

Steve Williams vs. Richard Dye

In a similar vein to our opening contest, Steve Williams was taking out his apparent bad mood on his opponent. As Williams manhandled the unfortunate Richard Dye, Bill Watts informed us that Williams wasn’t happy over the fact that it was still unknown who would in the tournament to determine the Mid-South Television Championship. Williams, according to Watts, badly wanted in the tournament and was upset over the fact that the participants in the tournament had yet to be announced.

Spoiler:

Williams was at his painful best, slamming and stretching Dye, and it was looking like Williams was letting out his frustrations on Richard Dye. Frustrations that were, for the moment, satisfied after just over two minutes, as finally decided to put Dye away with the Oklahoma Stampede.

Result: Steve Williams pinned Richard Dye in 2:13 after the Oklahoma Stampede

00:26 – 00:27 --- Jim Ross was now at ringside to interview Williams after his match;

Jim Ross: “You were wrestling like a man possessed in there, almost as if you were letting out some very deep frustrations”.

Steve Williams: “Damn straight I was letting out my frustrations, I still don’t know if I’m in this TV title tournament, Ross. I should be in that tournament and I wanna find out whether I’m in it or not. I’m tired of waiting. But I’m telling you and I’m telling Mid-South; I better be in the tournament. I better be in the tournament, or else. As for what ‘or else’ is, lemme just say that its’ best if nobody finds out”.

*a surly Steve Williams walks off and Jim Ross is left shaking his head and the thinly veiled threat from Steve Williams. Yet no sooner has Williams left and before Ross can go back to the commentary table, then Dutch Mantel comes out and he’s not looking in any better a mood than Steve Williams*

00:26 – 00:28 ---

Jim Ross: “Dutch Mantel, what are you doing out here? What do you want?”

Dutch Mantel: “I know you don’t wanna hear this, Ross, but you’re gonna hear it, and so are these people. I want to be in that tournament for the TV title. I should be in it; I deserve to be. In fact...bring me someone out here and I’ll prove it. Bring someone out, I’ll beat them up, and then Grizzly Smith and the board of directors of Mid-South will know that Dutch Mantel should be in the tournament”.

*Jim Ross tries to persuade Mantel to leave but Mantel refuses. After a minute, young Edgar Thomas walks out, apparently accepting the open challenge of Mantel*

Dutch Mantel: “Ross, this won’t take long”.

*Mantel enters the ring, as does Thomas, and as we wait for a referee, Jim Ross says we’ll go to a commercial break*

00:28 – 00:32 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:32 – 00:36 ---

Dutch Mantel vs. Edgar Thomas

This was a complete showcase for Mantel who, at times, appeared to be toying with Edgar Thomas, with Mantel also repeatedly yelling out comments regarding the TV title tournament. Jim Ross noted how everyone wants to be in that tournament, not just to win the gold that is on the line but because of what that gold might lead to, with Bill Watt reminding us that the TV champion could get themselves a shot at the North American Heavyweight Championship, which in turn would possibly put them in line for a shot at the world’s championship.

Spoiler:

In the end, to no real surprise, Mantel won the match, but the manner did so raised a few eyebrows when Mantel used the side-Russian leg sweep to get the victory. Jim Ross brought up how that move was the trademark finishing move of Brad Armstrong, someone Mantel has taken great issue with in recent weeks, and Bill Watts expressed the opinion that Mantel was sending Armstrong a message by using Armstrong’s signature move to win his match.

Result: Dutch Mantel pinned Edgar Thomas in 3:46 after the side-Russian leg sweep

00:36 – 00:38 --- The match is over and Mantel exaggeratedly wipes his brow, acting as if he was in some kind of gruelling contest before walking over to the commentary table*

Dutch Mantel: “I told you what I would do, and I did it. Just like always; I follow through on what I say. I think...wait; I know I’ve proven I should be on that tournament, and I think it’d be a travesty for me not to be in it. I hope Grizzly Smith was watching, I hope the board of directors were watching, because I’ve made my case and I think I made it very well”.

*Mantel then walks off leaving Bill Watts and Jim Ross to talk about the TV title tournament*

00:38 – 00:40 --- Bill Watts says that this is a good time to remind people about the tournament to determine the new Mid-South Television Champion. Jim Ross says that it will be an eight-person single elimination tournament, with the tournament matches taking place right here on the Mid-South Television. Watts then says that the participants in the tournament are still being finalized as we speak, but he also says that he has it on good authority that at least four of the participants in the tournament have been decided and that it is the final four places in the tournament that are being debated upon by Grizzly Smith and the board of directors of Mid-South Sports

Ross says that some of the men who want in the tournament will be in action next, and when we come back, it’ll be Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan and ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed taking on the team of Nord the Barbarian and the One Man Gang*

00:40 – 00:44 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:44 – 00:54 ---

‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan and ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed vs. Kamala and One Man Gang (with Skandor Akbar)

This was a very heated match, as the main events always seem to be in Mid-South Wrestling, especially as this contest featured plenty of brewing bad blood. The early advantage went to Duggan and Reed as they cleared the ring of their opponents, forcing Akbar to regroup his troops at ringside and confer over strategy. When the match resumed, Kamala and Gang slowed the pace down, made it their type of match, and thing got a lot more competitive, becoming more back-and-forth. The slower pace allowed Kamala and Gang to make full use of their girth, both men avalanching their opponents at one point or another, and Bill Watts put across the resiliency of Duggan and Reed in being able to keep going after these devastating attacks

Duggan and Reed kept going and they also managed to get back into the match, with Reed mixing up his power attack with agility; Reed showed himself to be a nimble for a man his size, and was much quicker than his opponents and this gave him something of an edge when the pace of the match picked up. Combine this with the accomplished brawling of Duggan and it wasn’t long before Duggan and Reed were looking good and Skandor Akbar was looking to change the momentum of the match. He accomplished this by tripping Duggan up as Duggan hit the ropes; Duggan was quickly back to his feet and turned around to take a swing at Akbar, but this allowed Kamala to clothesline Duggan from behind and send him out of the ring

From here, things quickly fell apart…

Spoiler:

Reed jumped off the ring apron to attend to Duggan, which had the referee jumping out to get Reed back to his own corner. But with this going on, One Man Gang got down off the ring apron, kicked Duggan so he was flat on his back, and then Gang delivered a massive elbowdrop to Duggan out on the floor. Bill Watts was incredulous, complaining that such a move was dangerous on the concrete because there was absolutely no give, so impact moves like that can cause a lot more damage than when they’re done inside the ring.

Gang got back onto ring apron as the referee went back into the ring to begin his count; Duggan was trying his best to get to his feet but he couldn’t even manage that, as Gang’s elbowdrop had taken all the wind out of him, something no doubt helped by Duggan having taken the move on the concrete. Duggan finally managed to get to his feet but it was too late and the referee counted Duggan out and Akbar was thrilled with his team’s ‘victory’.

Result: Kamala and the One Man Gang beat ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan and ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed via count-out in 9:14

00:54 – 00:56 ---

Spoiler:

As soon as the match was over, Reed hit the ring to go after Kamala and Gang, the fans going crazy as Reed had the initial upper hand, But the prompt arrival of Nord the Barbarian saw things go back the way of Akbar’s men, with Nord and Kamala assaulting Reed and Gang going after Duggan who had just now managed to get back into the ring. Duggan and Reed were taking a serious pounding, and things were not looking good for the two, until Terry Taylor came charging from the back, Taylor in jeans and shoes but no shirt, having apparently having been caught as he was changing

As soon as Taylor was on the scene, Akbar waived his men to the back, but the damage had been done and Jim Duggan and Butch Reed were down and in pain and this was not a good night for these two popular wrestlers.

END CREDITS

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Is the WWF Down for the Count?

Is the WWF Down for the Count?

May 17th 1985

The almost breathtaking collapse of the World Wrestling Federation continued this week with what may prove to be a pivotal turning point in this unfolding story.

Sources close to Vince McMahon have confirmed that he has been unable to make the payments to his father, Vince McMahon Sr. that he had agreed to make when he purchased the company from his him. What this means for the future of the WWF is unclear but it does mean that Vince Sr. is now in a position, legally, to take control of the company back from his son. But the question are lot of people are asking is if Vince Sr. will want to. There are unconfirmed rumours that Vince Sr. is in very bad health right now, and that he may be physically unable to run the WWF, even if he wanted to take back control of the company.

And with the WWF perceived to be in freefall right now, it’s no surprise that a lot of the talent, actually much of the talent, have been making calls to try and find a new place to work. Most of those calls have been made to Jim Crockett Promotions and Mid-South Wrestling, but the AWA, World Class, Memphis, and even promotions in Puerto Rico and Japan have been called by WWF talent looking to find work. Obviously, the top names will have no trouble at all finding somewhere new to work, and getting good deals out of it as well. But not everyone will be so lucky. There are only so many promotions out there, all of them with a limited number of spots on the roster, and some of them with even more limited resources. With so much talent on the market, not all of them will find a new place to work, and even those that do may find themselves working for less money than they’d like.

However this whole situation plays out, it will be very interesting to see where everybody ends up.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Mid-South Wrestling TV – May 23rd 1985

Mid-South Wrestling TV – May 23rd 1985

Jim Ross and ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts are sat ready to provide the commentary for tonight’s action. Ross and Watts say that normally, they would run down the matches that the fans would be seeing tonight and then get to the action. Tonight, however, is going to be a little different because of a special announcement, one that a lot of wrestlers in Mid-South have been waiting for, some more patiently than others.

00:02 – 00:07 --- Bill Watts says he and Jim Ross are delighted to announce not only the eight participants in the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion, but the four quarterfinal matches as well.

Bill Watts: “The first quarterfinal match should be a dandy, as it will see Ricky Morton of the Rock and Roll Express take on one of the Dirty White Boys, Tony Anthony.”

Jim Ross: “The great young wrestler, someone who is just starting to establish himself, Tom Prichard is in the tournament and boy does he have a tough test; Tom Prichard will be facing Nord the Barbarian.”

Bill Watts: “In another match between two guys who don’t like each other one bit, Brad Armstrong and Dutch Mantel will go head to head, and this is a match both men wanted so you know it’s going to be heated.”

Jim Ross: “The final quarterfinal match is very similar, between two men who have no love lost; Robert Gibson of the Rock and Roll Express will be facing the other half of the Dirty White Boys, Len Denton.”

Bill Watts: “There you have it fans; it’s going to be a great tournament, a really exciting tournament and you’ll be seeing every person in the tournament in action tonight. There will be four singles match and a big tag team main event, which will see Brad Armstrong and Robert Gibson face Dutch Mantel and Len Denton. It’ll be a tremendous hour of wrestling, fans, so let’s right to the action.”

00:07 – 00:11 ---

Ricky Morton vs. Frankie Lane

This was a real good showing for Morton ahead of the TV title tournament, and the only reason it lasted as long as it did was down to Frankie Lane repeatedly raking the eyes of Morton to break his momentum and gain the advantage. Apart from those breaks in his momentum, which didn’t last too long, this was all Ricky Morton, and Bill Watts noted that you have to really put in a shift to do away with Ricky Morton, and few men are capable of that.

Spoiler:

Frankie Lane was not one those men, with Morton shifting and turning over Lane to take him down and hold him down with a sunset flip to get the three count.

Result: Ricky Morton pinned Frankie Lane in 3:26 with a sunset flip

00:11 – 00:12 --- At ringside, Jim Ross gets some words from Ricky Morton, something he’ll be doing throughout the evening with the eight wrestlers in the TV title tournament;

Jim Ross: “You got the victory here tonight, but it’ll be tougher test you face when you take on Tony Anthony of the Dirty White Boys.”

Ricky Morton: “It’s great to be in the tournament, Jim and I cannot wait, I cannot wait, to face Tony Anthony. Anthony, you’ve been running your mouth a heck of a lot, you’ve been jumping me from behind a heck of a lot, but next week, we find out just how good you can be when won’t be able to jump me from behind. Tony Anthony, I cannot wait until next week when I get my hands on you.”

00:12 – 00:16 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:16 – 00:19 ---

Tony Anthony vs. Terry Daniels

We returned from the break to a match where Tony Anthony showed his proficiency in brawling here, giving Terry Daniels a real lesson in pain with his very aggressive style of wrestling. Anthony was very rough with Daniels, stretching the rules, and Bill Watts felt that this showed Anthony was a real bully with Watts saying that Anthony likes to manhandle those he knows can’t make a fight back, with Jim Ross noting that both Anthony and Len Denton share that trait.

Spoiler:

Anthony was rough and tough, almost delighting in the pain he was dishing out, and it was with great relish that Anthony delivered his trademark finishing move, the full-nelson facebuster. Anthony smirked as he rolled Daniels over and made the cover to get the win, and Jim Ross said he cannot wait to see Anthony take on Ricky Morton next week.

Result: Tony Anthony pinned Terry Daniels in 2:58 after the full-nelson facebuster

00:19 – 00:21 --- Jim Ross is back at ringside, to interview Tony Anthony;

Jim Ross: “You seemed to delight in handing out a beating to Terry Daniels, but it won’t be that easy when you take on Ricky Morton, right here, next week.”

Tony Anthony: “Ricky Morton, the time for runnin’ is over, boy. You keep running from me, you keep running from my partner, but next week the running is over. You see, only one of us moves on to the next round, makes it through to the semi-finals and gets one step closer to gold. Morton, you and these idiots out here think it’ll be you, but you’re wrong, they’re wrong, and I’ll be proving everyone wrong next week; you can count on it.”

*Anthony walks off and as he does so, Jim Ross returns to the commentary table to sit with Bill Watts*

00:21 – 00:22 --- Bill Watts says that the match between Morton and Anthony is one both men wanted and Watts feel it’s one the fans wanted too. Ross concurs with that thought and then tells us that that match between Morton and Anthony will be our main event next week. Watts says that when we come back, we’ll have another match involving a wrestler in the TV title tournament as the great young wrestler Tom Prichard will be in action

00:22 – 00:26 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:26 – 00:30 ---

Tom Prichard vs. Steve Brinson

Tom Prichard was a rising young star and the fans were certainly getting behind this young wrestler who was looking to make a name for himself in the Mid-South area. Prichard was full of fire tonight and Jim Ross noted that being in the tournament to crown the first Mid-South Television Champion had really energised this young man; Bill Watts said Prichard had all the tools to make it to the top in the sport, and with a little seasoning and some experience, Watts said Prichard has a great chance at making it all the way to the top

Spoiler:

Today, though, Prichard showed he had plenty in his arsenal to make a fight of any match, showing his quick reactions by taking Brinson over with a crucifix to get the pinfall, and Bill Watts said that if Prichard can catch you in that crucifix, then no matter who you are, he can hold you down and get the three count.

Result: Tom Prichard pinned Steve Brinson in 3:04 with a crucifix

00:30 – 00:31 --- Jim Ross returns to ringside to get a few words from bright young prospect, Tom Prichard;

Jim Ross: “You’re a bright prospect, Tom; everybody thinks so, they know, you have a lot of potential. But you have what will easily be your toughest test to date as part of the TV title tournament because you’ll have to take on Nord the Barbarian.”

Tom Prichard: “It’s gonna be tough, very tough, and I have no doubt about that. I’m under no illusions about what kind of challenge is ahead of me, Jim; I know what kind of guy Nord the Barbarian is, and I know he’s got Skandor Akbar in his corner. But I know that I’m going to give it my very best against Nord, and win or lose, I know that I’ll walk away from that match with my head held high. I just hope I can also walk away the winner as well.”

*Ross shakes the hand of Prichard who walks off, and Ross tells us that after the break, we’ll be seeing Prichard’s opponent in the TV title tournament, Nord the Barbarian, in action*

00:35 – 00:36 ---

Nord the Barbarian vs. Steve Casey

From the get go, it was clear that Nord was here to lay waste to his opponent and make a statement of intent. And at the urging of Skandor Akbar at ringside, Nord did just that with the way he manhandled and roughed up Steve Casey, who took a real beating for as long the match lasted.

Spoiler:

That wasn’t too long, though, with Akbar screaming for Nord to devastate Casey, to send a message, and when Nord whipped Casey into the ropes and laid him out cold with a big boot on the rebound, the message had been sent loud and clear.

Result: Nord the Barbarian pinned Steve Casey in 1:28 after a big boot

00:36 – 00:38 --- As always, Jim Ross as now at ringside, to get some comments from Skandor Akbar;

Jim Ross: “That was a devastating performance by Nord the Barbarian; you’ve got to be convinced that this man can go all the way in the tournament for the Mid-South Television Championship.”

Skandor Akbar: “I am convinced of that, Ross, but, you know, I heard that kid Tom Prichard talk about giving it all against this man, against Nord the Barbarian, and I couldn’t help but laugh. Prichard, lemme give you some advice; you can try your best, and I’m sure you will, but I’m here to tell you that your best simply won’t be good enough. You see, Nord the Barbarian is bigger and stronger than you are, leaner and meaner than you are, and he’s just plain better than you are, Prichard. You got a lot of dreams kid, but when you face Nord the Barbarian, the dreams will be over and reality will come crashing down.”

00:38 - 00:41 --- As Akbar and Nord leave, Dutch Mantel and Len Denton come out, and Jim Ross gets a few words with this makeshift tag team ahead of their upcoming match against Brad Armstrong and Robert Gibson;

Dutch Mantel: “It’s about time I got to face that punk, Brad Armstrong, and lemme tell you Brad; after tonight, you’re gonna wish you didn’t have to face me in that TV title tournament, because tonight, I’m gonna prove I can put you down for the count.”

Len Denton: “And I got that clown, Robert Gibson, to take care of. Gibson, you’re not so tough without your buddy helping you out, and Brad Armstrong won’t be your buddy tonight or any night as long you both want the TV title. Gibson, I’m gonna beat you tonight, I’m gonna beat you in the tournament, and then I’m beating whoever I have to in order to become the Mid-South Television Champion.”

*Denton walks towards the ring, but Mantel hesitates for a second, his eyes narrowing as he looks at Denton before finally following him to the ring, and Bill Watts was quick to jump on this; Watts said that Mantel didn’t seem to take kindly to Denton’s assertion that he’d beat whoever he had to in order to become the Mid-South Television Champion, with Watts noting that a desire for gold can really change a man. There is a big cheer as Brad Armstrong and Robert Gibson walk out, and they too have a few words for Jim Ross*

Mantel and Denton enter the ring, things perhaps a little tense between the two. There is a big cheer when Brad Armstrong and Robert Gibson come out, and they too get interviewed by Jim Ross;

Brad Armstrong: “Dutch Mantel, I heard what you had to say about me, and I have to say that I’m not scared of you or anyone. I know I can beat you, Mantel, and that’s something that I’ll be proving tonight and I’ll beat you in the tournament as well. After that, I don’t mind who I face, but I’d rather face this man right here with me, because Robert Gibson will fight hard but fair, and that’s the kind of fight I’ll have any day of the week.”

Robert Gibson: “Brad’s got it right, Jim. We both want that TV title but we know that we both can’t get it. It’s nothing personal, and if Brad and myself have to wrestle each other, we’ll shake hands before the match, wrestle, and shake hands after the match, regardless of who wins. As for tonight, Len Denton, I’m fixing to make you find out what kind of fight you’re in for when we wrestle each other. Mantel and Denton; we’re coming for you.”

*Armstrong and Gibson walk towards the ring, jawing with Mantel and Denton as they get to ringside, and as Jim Ross returns to the commentary position, Bill Watts tells us we have to take one last commercial break but when we come back, it’ll be time for our main event*

00:41 – 00:45 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:45 – 00:56 ---

Brad Armstrong and Robert Gibson vs. Dutch Mantel and Len Denton

It was main event time on Mid-South television and this promised to be a good one, with the issues involved that surrounded the TV title tournament sure to be playing on everyone’s mind. Bill Watts reminded us that Mantel did not appear to be too happy when Denton said that he would beat whoever he had to in order to become Mid-South Television Champion. Jim Ross said that we would have to wait and see whether that prospective tension would play any part in this match

Armstrong and Denton started the match out, the two men engaging in some fine chain wrestling; they were evenly matched, and this appeared to a source of frustration to Denton, who looked annoyed at not being able to dominate Armstrong. Denton began complaining to the referee about Armstrong having pulled his hair and tights, trying to gain an edge, but Jim Ross quickly noted that Denton’s claims were completely bogus. The two locked up again and Denton pushed Armstrong into his corner and grabbed hold of his hair; Denton tagged out to Mantel, but Armstrong broke free of Denton’s grip before Mantel could get hold of him. Mantel was not happy about that and he was angry enough to chase after Armstrong, but he stopped in his tracks when Armstrong backed into his own corner, Mantel not wanting to get within reach of Robert Gibson

When they finally started wrestling, Gibson and Mantel had some good exchanges and the match appeared to be relatively calm until Denton grabbed at the hair of Gibson as he hit he the ropes; Gibson turned to deck Denton, which popped the fans, but Mantel brought the mood of the fans back down with a knee the back of Gibson, Mantel then following up with some vicious stomps to the back of Gibson. Mantel and Denton then worked Gibson over in their half of the ring for several minutes, making his life a real misery for one half of the Mid-South Tag Team Champions and handing out a beating. The fans stayed behind Gibson, and Jim Ross noted the tremendous fan support that both Gibson and Armstrong have. This spurred Gibson on and he was eventually able to nail Mantel with a kick to the head after Mantel had caught Gibson’s foot off his initial attempt to kick him; Mantel was knocked down and struggled to get to his feet, but he couldn’t do so in time to be table to stop Gibson from tagging in Armstrong

Brad Armstrong came in very fired up and decked Mantel and then Denton, who had come into the ring to go after Armstrong. With the fans solidly behind him now, Armstrong wasted no time in taking the fight to Mantel, with Denton having rolled back out onto the ring apron. Armstrong delivered a big body slam and followed that up with a scintillating dropkick, garnering a two count on Mantel. Things were starting look good for Armstrong and Gibson, with Armstrong soon eyeing Mantel up for the side-Russian leg sweep, something Bill Watts felt would end any match. Len Denton clearly had the same idea, coming into the ring to attack Armstrong from behind, and it was Denton’s intervention that would dictate the end of this match

Spoiler:

Yet not in the way either Mantel or Denton would have wanted, especially Mantel. As Denton went back on the ring apron, Mantel grabbed Armstrong from behind, but Armstrong quickly reversed the position and ran Mantel into his corner, where Len Denton was standing; Mantel collided with Denton, knocking him off the ring apron, and Armstrong rolled Mantel up in a rolling reverse cradle…one…two…three…Armstrong had scored the pinfall over Mantel, who was clutching at face where he had accidentally struck his own tag team partner

Gibson hit the ring to celebrate with Armstrong, congratulating him on his victory unstintingly. Meanwhile, Len Denton was getting to his feet and looked appalled at seeing Armstrong and Gibson celebrating, and as for Dutch Mantel, he was holding his head and looking none too pleased with Denton, with a look of thunder on his face.

Result: Brad Armstrong and Robert Gibson beat Dutch Mantel and Len Denton in 10:31 when Armstrong pinned Mantel with a rolling reverse cradle

END CREDITS

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

A Meeting of the Minds

A Meeting of the Minds

May 24th 1985

The biggest story of the week does not, for once, revolve around what appears to be the slow demise of the World Wrestling Federation.

A meeting was held this past Wednesday between Jim Crockett, Dusty Rhodes and Bill Watts, with a view to putting together a formal working agreement between Jim Crockett Promotions, the principal member of the NWA, and Mid-South Sports, the promotional name of Mid-South Wrestling. The idea behind the agreement is for Jim Crockett Promotions and Mid-South Wrestling to form an official partnership, and many expect that this partnership will lead to a joint effort at national expansion.

It appears that the genesis for this venture came from observing the effect that the national expansion of the WWF was having on wrestling as a whole, as whilst the WWF itself was thriving, other promotions were suffering, especially smaller ones, and it was felt that having just one major national promotion would be tremendously detrimental to the long-term future of wrestling.

Obviously, this kind of agreement has a lot of potential problems, most of which you can already predict, when it comes to people like Dusty Rhodes and Bill Watts, two very strong personalities who have their own distinct view on how things should be run, working together. However, it does seem like everyone involved with this idea is committed to making it work and the initial meeting was said to have gone very well.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Mid-South Wrestling TV – May 30th 1985

Mid-South Wrestling TV – May 30th 1985

Jim Ross and ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts are sat ready to provide the commentary for tonight’s action. Ross and Watts run down what we’ll be seeing; ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams is here, as is ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed; ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan is in action; and our main event is going to be the first quarterfinal match in the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion, and that match will see one half of the Rock and Roll Express, Ricky Morton, take on one half of the Dirty White Boys, Tony Anthony.

00:02 – 00:05 ---

‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams vs. Paul Brown

Steve Williams was quite obviously in a very bad mood going into this match, and poor Paul Brown bore the brunt of that anger, with Williams just completely destroying his hapless opponent in a pointedly deliberate manner. Williams tossed Brown around the ring with virtual ease, also turning him all the way over with a particular vicious clothesline, and Bill Watts said what everyone else was thinking; Steve Williams is not happy about not being in the Mid-South Television Championship tournament.

Spoiler:

And after Williams drove Brown into the mat with the Oklahoma Stampede and got the win, he gestured to be given a mic from the ring announcer because Williams had something on his mind that he wanted to say.

Result: Steve Williams pinned Paul Brown in 2:17 with the Oklahoma Stampede

00:05 – 00:06 ---

‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams: “You know, it’s a joke, a complete and total joke, that someone like me is not in that TV title tournament but a punk kid is. Who cares if that punk kid has potential and looks like he has a bright future? I should be in that tournament, not him, and someone, mark my words, is going to pay for that.”

*A surly Steve Williams throws the mic down and walks off, in as a foul a mood as we’ve ever seen him in*

00:10 – 00:12 --- Back from the break, and Bill Watts is alone at the commentary table as he reminds us about the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion; there will be tournament matches over the next several weeks of Mid-South television, and at the end of that tournament, we’ll have a brand new Mid-South Television Champion. Watts then reminds us that the main event tonight is the first tournament match, and it will see Ricky Morton take on Tony Anthony.

00:12 - 00:17 --- Jim Ross is standing by the commentary table and talks about the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion, Terry Taylor;

Jim Ross: “The Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion Terry Taylor has his issues with Skandor Akbar and his army of men; we saw what happened a few weeks ago when the interference of Akbar allowed Kamala to score a highly disputable win over Taylor during a six-man tag. But as disputed a win as it was, it was enough to put Kamala at the top of the list of contenders for that very prestigious title, and right now, I’d like to get a reaction to that, to this whole situation, from the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion himself, so please welcome by guest at this time, Terry Taylor!”

*Terry Taylor, the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Championship over his shoulder, gets a tremendous reception from the fans as he walks out and makes his way over to the commentary position, with Taylor acknowledging their reception as he joins Jim Ross;

Jim Ross: “Terry, I know you’ve got a lot to say about this whole situation involving you and Kamala, as well as Skandor Akbar, so the floor is yours.”

Terry Taylor: “You know, Skandor Akbar has been sending Kamala after me, trying to take the North American Heavyweight Championship, for several months now. Heck, Akbar has sent his whole army of men after me; Akbar wants this title, the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Championship, so badly that I don’t think he cares which one of his men gets this title. Akbar, you want this title so much, and I can’t blame you for that, but there’s one thing you’re not getting; it’s going to take the fight of a lifetime for anyone to take this title from me, and none of your men can come close to giving me that fight if you’re not there to hold their hand.

And I got news for you, Akbar; you can’t give that kind of fight if you need to rely on someone else, if you need to rely on outside help or foreign objects, because you’ll always doubt yourself. There will always be that little bit of doubt in the back of your mind over whether you’re really good enough because of that reliance on outside help, and it’s because of that doubt that none of your men will ever take this title. Akbar.”

Jim Ross: “That’s a very good point; once that help goes away, you’re left on your own, and some people can fall apart in that scenario.”

*Ross starts to ask another question when Skandor Akbar walks out from the back, leading Kamala with him. Taylor immediately stands in front of Ross and gestures for Kamala to come at him, but Akbar holds Kamala back before asking for a mic, looking to speak his mind, and eventually a microphone is handed over to Akbar*

Skandor Akbar: “You talk a lot, Taylor, but it’s about what happens in that ring; that’s what matters. And the last time you were in that ring with Kamala, he beat you. Kamala pinned your shoulders to the mat.”

Terry Taylor: “Because you interfered and your men interfered. One-on-one, Kamala can’t beat me and neither can any of your men.”

Skandor Akbar: *laughs* “You know, it’s funny you mentioned my men…”

*Nord the Barbarian and the One Man Gang come out from the back and stand by Akbar in facing off with Taylor*

Skandor Akbar: “You see, we’re all here, Taylor. You might be able to be lucky enough to beat one of us in the ring, but all of us, right here and now? I don’t like your chances.”

*Akbar and his men start to circle Taylor, who looks at each of them in turn and seems to be thinking about who to go after first. Suddenly, ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan and ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed come charging out from the back, breaking through Akbar’s men, who are caught by surprise by their appearance as they had their backs to the locker room, to stand alongside Terry Taylor.

Akbar halts the advance of his men, looking unsure of himself before motioning for his arm to leave

Bill Watts comments on the solidarity being shown by Duggan and Reed towards Terry Taylor, saying that these men have each other’s backs when it comes to dealing with Skandor Akbar. Akbar slowly skulks off, having also ordered his men to back off; Taylor, Duggan and Reed aren’t backing down, and it appears that Akbar wants no part of that at this time. As Akbar and his men vanish into the back, Taylor shakes hands with Duggan and Reed before Taylor and Duggan walk back to the locker room; Reed stays out because he has a match coming up momentarily*

00:17 – 00:21 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:21 – 00:24 ---

‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed vs. Shawn Michaels

Butch Reed was in fine form here, putting in a great display against Shawn Michaels. Indeed, Reed sent Michaels bouncing all over the ring with various displays of power, including a number of press slams, and Bill Watts really put over the impressive power that Reed possessed

Spoiler:

And when Reed sent Michaels head-over-hindquarters with a flying shoulder tackle, Watts called it an outstanding display of power, and it was enough to keep Michaels down for the three count.

Result: ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed pinned Shawn Michaels in 2:49 after a flying shoulder tackle

00:24 – 00:26 --- The match over, and Jim Ross is at ringside to interview Reed;

Jim Ross: “Reed, we saw you earlier out here to back up Terry Taylor, but you’ve got more than that on your mind; you’ve got something to say regarding the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion.”

‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed: “You know, I’m not too happy I’m not in that tournament for the Mid-South Television Championship; I really wanted to be in it, to have the chance to win some gold. But you know, I’m not going to come out here and cry the blues about it. I am going to do something about it, but it won’t be crying the blues. What I’m going to do is kick butt, win matches, and I’ll force myself into the title picture that way. You see, that’s what real men do; they settle their problems by getting off of their butts and doing something about it. They don’t cry and complain. So whoever wins that TV title tournament, be ready, because Butch Reed is gonna come for you and for that title.”

*Reed leaves and is passed by Jim Duggan, who is coming out for his match, which is next, the two men acknowledging each other with a nod. Duggan also has something to say about the TV title tournament*

Jim Duggan: “Butch has got the right idea about this TV title tournament. I’m not in it but not everyone could be. Am I disappointed? Damn right I am because I wanted that title, the same way everyone did. But crying about it won’t change anything; they’re not gonna change the tournament just because someone complains. So I’m gonna do what Butch Reed is gonna do, what everyone who was disappointed not to be in that tournament should do. I’m gonna kick butt in the ring, beat people, and prove that I deserve a title shot.”

*Duggan walks towards the ring and Jim Ross tells us we’ll see Dugan in action right the commercial break*

00:28 – 00:32 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:32 – 00:35 ---

‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan vs. Brickhouse Brown

‘Hacksaw’ was fired up for this one, looking to make an impression and force his way into the title scene. And he did just that, and the only reason the match lasted as long as it did was down to Brickhouse Brown constantly rolling out of the ring to break the momentum of Duggan and stall the contest out. It couldn’t last forever and Duggan was able to prevent what was Brown’s last attempt to escape the ring.

Spoiler:

It wasn’t long after that before Duggan delivered his spear clothesline, allowing him to put Brickhouse Brown down for the count.

Result: Jim Duggan pinned Brickhouse Brown in 2:28 after the spear clothesline

00:35 – 00:37 --- Bill Watts and Jim Ross once again run down the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion. Watts and Ross recap what the first round matches will be; Ricky Morton vs. Tony Anthony, Tom Prichard vs. Nord the Barbarian, Brad Armstrong vs. Dutch Mantel, and Robert Gibson vs. Len Denton. Tony Anthony then comes out to be interviewed by Ross ahead of his tournament match with Ricky Morton;

00:37 – 00:39 ---

Tony Anthony: “Ricky Morton, you ‘aint nothing but a punk, boy. You’re a punk who likes to run from a fight or who tries to jump people from behind. Tonight, you can’t run from me, because if you do, you don’t go through to the next round of the tournament. And you can’t jump me from behind, because I’m the first man out to the ring. Tonight, Morton, you’re gonna get the beating I’ve been wanting to dish out for a long time and there won’t be anything you or these idiots out here can do about it to stop me.”

*Anthony walks off towards the ring and Jim Ross tells us we have one final commercial break to take, and when we come back, it’ll be Ricky Morton taking on Tony Anthony in the first round of the Mid-South Wrestling Television Championship tournament*

00:39 – 00:43 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:43 – 00:56 ---

Mid-South Wrestling Television Championship Tournament Quarter-Final: Ricky Morton vs. Tony Anthony

We came back from the break with Ricky Morton already in the ring, and with the referee having to keep Morton and Anthony separated before the match could formally start; Jim Ross commented on the ongoing bad blood between the two men, with the Dirty White Boys having jumped the Rock and Roll Express a number of times, in a feud over the Mid-South Tag Team Championship.

When the match did get going, Morton went after Anthony who immediately backed up into the ropes and yelled for the referee to get Morton to back off. Jim Ross was incredulous as he pointed out that Anthony had talked a big game about wanting a fight but now that the fight is here, Anthony doesn’t seem to want to engage. As Morton was forced to back off and the referee ordered Anthony to get out of the ropes and wrestle, Bill Watts said that Anthony talked a good game when talking was all he had to do, but now that he has to back it up, now that he has to actually fight, Anthony is starting to realise that a fight against Ricky Morton may not be as straightforward as he had hoped it would be

Morton and Anthony finally locked up and there was some heavy back-and-forth jostling that ensued before Anthony kneed Morton in the gut and grabbed a side-headlock. Morton quickly shot Anthony off into the ropes, and series of criss-crosses occurred that ended with Morton nailing Anthony with a running dropkick that sent Anthony tumbling out of the ring and had the fans going wild. Anthony took a few moments at ringside to regroup, a look of surprise on his face, and Bill Watts wondered if Anthony was only now just realizing what kind of fight he was in

Anthony wrestled a very cautious match and it was Morton who pressed the action. Whenever Anthony did try anything aggressive, try and attempt to push the action in his favour, Morton was too quick and sudden and Anthony always found himself on the retreat. Anthony was getting increasingly frustrated as his attempts to take control of the match were thwarted. However, Anthony was a resourceful man despite his temperament and he found a way to turn Morton’s speed against him, with Anthony anticipating a high cross body from Morton and ducking down so that Morton crashed hard to the mat, Morton’s momentum taking him out of the ring and crashing to the floor on the outside

Anthony took a few moments to compose himself, catching a few deep breaths and even taunting the fans before he went out to the floor and rolled Ricky Morton back into the ring. Anthony covered Morton…one…two…kick out from Morton. Anthony began working over Morton very methodically, not wasting any motion; Anthony would hit an offensive manoeuvre, make a cover, and after Morton kicked out, Anthony then grabbed Morton in a hold as he planned his next move. Anthony got some near-falls but Morton would always kick out, Bill Watts noting the heart and resiliency of Morton

The heart Morton was showing was steadily getting to Anthony, who was becoming increasingly frustrated when Morton would kick out. Jim Ross noted that if Anthony was expecting to beat Morton with ease, then he didn’t know Morton at all. That frustration would boil over when the normally ground-based Anthony went to the top rope to deliver a double ax-handle; as Anthony came off the top rope, Morton caught him with a punch to the gut, winding Anthony and leaving him bent over. Morton then took fast run up and nailed Anthony with a running kneelift, sendin Anthony flying, and Bill Watts was quick to point out that the running kneelift was a move that Morton’s tag team partner, Robert Gibson, often used, Watts opining that this was a sign of how close they are that they use each other’s offensive moves

Anthony was winded and now also stunned, which gave Morton the perfect opportunity to get back into the match, an opportunity Morton took with both hands. Anthony was soon reeling, very much on the backfoot and looking desperately for a way out. He couldn’t find one and with fans cheering him on, Morton appeared to have the match in the bag, especially when he had Anthony down and ascended to the top rope. But the sudden appearance at ringside of Len Denton, Anthony’s tag team partner, the other half of the Dirty White Boys, seemed to put a halt to Morton’s momentum. As Denton jumped up onto the ring apron, Morton dropped down of the top rope and charged across the ring towards Denton, knocking him down with a punch. It was at this moment that Robert Gibson, Ricky Morton’s tag team partner ran down to the ringside area and went after Denton, and the match seemed to completely fall apart

Spoiler:

At ringside, Gibson and Denton were struggling with each other, the two men fought in equal part on the ring apron and on the floor before Denton managed to shove Gibson into the ring. The referee moved to intercept them and try and get them out of the ring, and as this was going on, Morton went over to Anthony to pick him up off the mat but Anthony thumbed him in the eye. Anthony lifted Morton for a slam, but Morton slipped behind Anthony and ran him into the ropes…only to inadvertently send him crashing into the referee, knocking the official out of the ring. Gibson and Denton rolled out of the ring in a clinch as Morton rolled Anthony up…but there was no referee to count the cover, the referee on the floor and dazed from having been knocked out of the ring

Len Denton raked the eyes of Robert Gibson and rammed him into the ringpost, Gibson partially blocking the impact but still going down. Denton slide into the ring on the blindside of Ricky Morton and came off the ropes to nail Morton with a running boot to the back of the head, and Morton slumped backwards to the mat, clearly unconscious from the vicious blow that Denton had delivered.

As Tony Anthony covered Morton, Denton rolled out of the ring and hoisted the referee up and shoved him back into the ring, Denton kicking Robert Gibson who was trying to get to his feet, knocking Gibson back down.

The still-dazed referee saw Tony Anthony covering Ricky Morton and sluggishly made his count…one……two……three……and the fans erupted into boos as Tony Anthony had stolen a win over Ricky Morton to secure his place on the semi-finals of the Mid-South Television Championship tournament, Bill Watts was appalled at how the match played out, Watts calling it a disgrace that a major match such as this would end in such unfortunate circumstances. Jim Ross agreed, but as Tony Anthony rolled out of the ring, being supported by Len Denton who quickly ushered him to the back, Ross said that the damage has been done, in every sense of the word, and Ricky Morton is out of the tournament and it’s Tony Antony who now advances to the semi-final stage.

Result: Tony Anthony pinned Ricky Morton in 12:28 following interference from Len Denton; Anthony advances to the semi-finals of the Mid-South Wrestling Television Championship Tournament

END CREDITS

BTB of the Year 2012

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

2 Hacksaws are great. Disappointed guys like Steve Williams, Reed and Duggan weren't included in the TV Title tournament but understand the reasoning why. Loving the tag feud between the Dirty White Boys vs RNR Express. Also, with the upcoming talent exchange with JCP, are we gonna see any tag teams come over as apart of that deal or is it only for bigger shows? Great stuff so far btw. Keep it up.
    Last edited by Knable; 03-08-2018 at 11:58 PM.

BTB Legend

Status

Ownership of the WWF Changes Hands

Ownership of the WWF Changes Hands

May 31st 1985

To the surprise of almost nobody, especially after the events of the past two months, Vince McMahon Sr. has officially regained control of the World Wrestling Federation, taking ownership of the company back from his son, Vince McMahon Jr.

Vince Jr. had purchased the Capitol Wrestling Corporation, the parent company of the WWF, from his father in 1982, but was still making payments on the purchase even now. In the wake of the disastrous Wrestlemania and the effects of the subsequent fallout, Vince Jr. was no longer able to continue making those payments. As a result, Vince McMahon Sr. has now regained control of the WWF and is its owner once more.

What happens from here remains unknown. Vince Sr. is very ill, the specifics of which are being kept very quiet, and it’s possible that Vince Sr. may entrust someone else with running his company while he deals with whatever his illness is. However, there are some who are speculating that Vince Sr’s illness is more serious than is being let on and that he may fold the WWF, with the belief that he simply wants to enjoy whatever time he has left without having any stresses or worries.

If the WWF does indeed fold, this puts the proposed partnership between Jim Crockett Promotions and Mid-South Sports in the driving seat as it relates to the talent that would become available. There would be tons of wrestlers that would be left looking for work, and with JCP and MSS working together, they would be able to cherry pick the best talent, or at least the best of the talent that they want, so this turn of events has made it a buyer’s market.

@Knable

Quote Originally Posted by Knable View Post
    Also, with the upcoming talent exchange with JCP, are we gonna see any tag teams come over as apart of that deal or is it only for bigger shows? Great stuff so far btw. Keep it up.
    You’ll have to wait and see how the Mid-South relationship with JCP affects talent. It’ll be worth the wait, though.

BTB of the Year 2012

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Peru

Oh wow. Vince Jr having to give the title back to Vince Sr. That's certainty new. Looking forward to hearing more on that.
    Spoiler:

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    Europe

YES! Can't believe I didn't see this before!

About 7-8 years ago someone added a load of Mid-South on to Daily Motion (this was pre-Network) and I became absolutely hooked on it. I just loved the presentation. Not visually, but the style they brought to it all. Everything was treated with pure legitimacy and authenticity. The wrestlers are athletes and fighters. They're all "men's men". They take their beatings and the come back for more. The babyfaces don't bitch and moan, they get on with it and try to make the most of what they have. And everything makes sense. Slow build stories that make sense between people who are treated with respect by the booking. Basically, Mid-South is what I want my wrestling to be, and I hope that comes out in my booking.

So you've got a pretty easy reader in me!

Enjoying this so far. You're really nailing the presentation, with the to-the-point promos between matches, the squashes that end in holds, and the big main event. Really great so far. I'm particularly liking how Terry Taylor is being presented, and the DWB/Rock and Rolls feud has been great.

The WWF angle is a really interesting one. I'm guessing you're doing that because there's no real way Mid-South could have survived with the WWF juggernaut as it was post-1985? Either way, it makes for a unique approach, and one that I'm enjoying following along with. Does this mean that Ted DiBiase won't ever become the Million Dollar Man? Because, honestly, DiBiase returning to Mid-South would be EPIC.

One thing I'm looking forward to seeing is some of the classic Mid-South angles. I'm definitely enjoying this so far, but the things I loved about Mid-South was the way a lot of their angles had really memorable moments that had been building for a while. DiBiase/Flair/Murdoch is possibly the best angle I've ever seen. Or the story with Magnum TA and Mr Wrestling. I'm hoping you have plans to pull out some of those all-timer style angles every now and again when the moments call upon it.

Anyway, very much enjoying so far and look forward to following on from now.

BTB Legend

Status

Mid-South Wrestling TV – June 6th 1985

]

Mid-South Wrestling TV – June 6th 1985

Jim Ross and ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts are sat ready to provide the commentary for tonight’s action. Ross and Watts run down what we’ll be seeing; Len Denton is in action, as is Robert Gibson; Brad Armstrong will be in competition, as will Dutch Mantel; and the main event is another quarterfinal match in the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion, and it will see Tom Prichard face Nord the Barbarian

00:02 – 00:03 --- Bill Watts remains excited as he tells us that there are lot of rumours going around wrestling, a lot of talk that some major negotiations are going down that could see some big news for wrestling fans. Watt says that he really hopes these negotiations come to fruition, and Watt then says there is some other potential big news to be talked about and that news will be talked about later in the hour.

00:03 – 00:07 --- Watts and Jim Ross then talk about the ongoing TV title tournament and how, last week, Tony Anthony beat Ricky Morton to advance to the semi-finals. Jim Ross says that the win was not without controversy, with Ross mentioning the interference of Len Denton. However, Anthony did win, and Ross brings Anthony out to get his comments on that victory and on the tournament in general;

Jim Ross: “There was a lot of controversy in your match last week, Tony Anthony, but however you got the win you did win and you advance to the semi-finals of the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion.”

Tony Anthony: “People can cry and complain all they want; Ricky Morton, you can cry and complain with the best of them, son. But the bottom line is that I beat you, I pinned you, and now you’re out of the tournament and Tony Anthony is in the semi-finals. Now, I got Nord the Barbarian next, and I…”

Jim Ross: “Hang on a minute. Nord the Barbarian hasn’t won his match, Tony. He’s gotta face Tom Prichard later on tonight and…”

*Tony Anthony laughs, in a manner suggesting that he’s just heard the most hilarious joke in the world*

Tony Anthony: “Are you kid…Boy, Ross, I think you been hitting the bottle if you think that match is going any other way than Nord’s. I’m facing Nord the Barbarian; everyone knows that, Ross.”

Jim Ross: “Nobody ‘knows’ anything about who you’ll be facing, other than it’ll be either Tom Prichard or Nord the Barbarian, and I think it’s very disrespectful of you to downplay Prichard’s chances of winning that match.”

Tony Anthony: “OK, whoever I face, then, how about that? Is that better, Ross? Anyway, I don’t care who I face; I’m going into that match to win it, I will win it, and then I’ll be facing Len in the finals, because I know he’s winning his matches, and then we’ll see how that plays out.”

*At this point, Len Denton has come out for his match, and he walks over to Anthony and the two shake hands and congratulate each other before Denton heads to the ring for the first bout of the evening*

00:07 – 00:10 ---

Len Denton vs. Stoney Burke

Denton was all smiles, as cocky as ever in this match, with Jim Ross feeling that Denton was still very happy over his actions last week that cost Ricky Morton his match against Tony Anthony in the TV title tournament. For much of this match, Bill Watts and Jim Ross were critical of Denton’s behaviour last week, with Watts feeling that it was a travesty for a championship tournament match to be decided in such a manner

Spoiler:

Ross opined that we haven’t heard the last of the issue between the Rock and Roll Express and the Dirty White Boys, and when Denton delivered his now-familiar running boot to the face to Burke to get the win, Ross sardonically noted how that’s a move Ricky Morton is all too familiar with.

Result: Len Denton pinned Stoney Burke in 2:37 after a running boot to the face

00:10 – 00:14 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:14 – 00:16 --- We are back from the break and Bill Watts talks about an event last week, when Terry Taylor, the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion, was confronted by Skandor Akbar and his entire stable. With Watts’ comments overlaid over footage of what happened last week, Watts explained that it looked like all three members of Akbar’s Army were about to put a hurting on Taylor when ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan and ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed showed up to even the odds. Akbar and his men wanted none of that and backed off.

00:16 – 00:19 --- Jim Ross is standing with Terry Taylor and Jim Duggan by the commentary table to talk with them about what happened last week;

Jim Ross: “Gentleman, it looked like things were about to get out of hand last week, with Skandor Akbar and his army trying to gang up on Terry. But some timely intervention put paid to any plans Akbar and his men had of trying to hurt you.”

Terry Taylor: “Things didn’t look good, Jim, and you can’t really be surprised because it’s how Skandor Akbar and his army operate. They like to play the numbers game, they like to fix things so that they have that numbers advantage, but as last week showed, they don’t like it when things are even; they can’t deal with it when when the fight is fair. And as soon as this man and Butch Reed showed up, Akbar and his men ran like cowards, and I have to thank you Jim, and Butch as well, because even I can’t beat three men at once.”

‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan: “Nobody could, Terry, and it was an easy decision to make, to come out here and help. Neither one of us, either you, me or Butch, are any fans of Skandor Akbar and his army; we’ve all suffered at their hands. And we weren’t about to let them pull any of that garbage again so we did what we had to; we came out to even things up, and like you said; they didn’t want any part of that.”

Jim Ross: “No, they did not, and I have to admit that, and I’m sure the fans felt the same way, I really enjoyed seeing the three of you back down Akbar’s men.”

Terry Taylor: “It felt real good, especially because of what seemed fixing to come down, and Jim, like I said; I appreciated the help and if you need me to return the favour, at any time, let me know.”

‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan: “Count on it, Terry, and it may happen at any time, cos we both know what Akbar is like. Everyone, not just you, me and Butch, have to keep an eye out for that group because you never know what kind of dirty trick they may try and pull.”

Jim Ross: “Truer words were never spoke. Gentleman, it’s been good to hear from both of you; now, let’s get back to the action.”

00:19 – 00:22 ---

Robert Gibson vs. Terry Daniels

Robert Gibson was in action next, having recovered from getting rammed into the ringpost last week by Len Denton.

During the match, Bill Watts noted that Ricky Morton wasn’t here this week because after Len Denton hit the running kick to the back of Morton’s head, it caused some minor balance issues with Morton and both the assigned physician from the state athletic commission and Grizzly Smith, the matchmaker for Mid-South, felt it was in Morton’s best interests to say away for the week so that he could more properly recover. But Watts assured us that Morton would be fine and that these issues would pass. Gibson looked in good form, suffering no ill-effects from last week, with Jim Ross noting that Gibson had the benefit of being able to partially block the impact of his head hitting the ringpost

Spoiler:

Gibson was sharp and crisp, as shown in his ability to evade one wild attack from his Daniels and come off the ropes to deliver the match winning bulldog headlock.

Result: Robert Gibson pinned Terry Daniels in 2:16 after a bulldog headlock

00:22 – 00:23 --- Back at the commentary table, Bill Watts and Jim Ross say that at the opening of the program, they talked about some potential big news that they would talk about later. Watts says that the big news is major and it concerns the Mid-South area and they’ll be talking about it after the break

00:23 – 00:27 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:27 – 00:28 --- Returning from the break, a serious looking Bill Watts says that on March 30th at the New Orleans Superdome, Ted DiBiase lost a special Loser Leaves Town match against Jim Duggan. Watts says that DiBiase wants to return to Mid-South, that DiBiase is desperate to return, but Watts says that Mid-South will not renege on the stipulations of the match and that as far as Mid-South Wrestling is concerned, Ted DiBiase is gone and will not be coming back.

00:28 – 00:31 ---

Brad Armstrong vs. Richard Dye

Brad Armstrong was in action next and Bill Watts noted that Armstrong was staying in fighting shape ahead of his Mid-South Television Championship tournament match next week against Dutch Mantel, who will be wrestling as well this hour. Armstrong showed the speed and agility he is known for, looking very vibrant in the ring

Spoiler:

And there was a big cheer when Armstrong countered a move from Richard Dye into the side-Russian legsweep. The move was more than enough to put Dye down for the three count and Jim Ross commented on the momentum Armstrong would now have heading into his match with Mantel next week.

Result: Brad Armstrong pinned Richard Dye in 2:28 after the side-Russian legsweep

00:31 – 00:32 --- Bill Watts and Jim Ross talk about the TV title tournament and discuss the differing reactions from wrestlers who were not part of the tournament. Watts says that some wrestlers complained long and loud whilst others simply acknowledged that they were unhappy but calmly stated that they’d just force their way into the title picture by winning matches. Watts said we’d be hearing from one such wrestler, ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed, after the break

00:32 – 00:36 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:36 – 00:39 --- Bill Watts is standing by the commentary table with Butch Reed, and Watts interviews Reed about the Mid-South Television Championship tournament;

Bill Watts: “Professional wrestling is like any sport; it’s the pursuit of the achievement that drives a competitor, and nothing typifies that achievement like a championship. And when Mid-South Wrestling announced a tournament to crown a Mid-South Television Champion, it stoked the competitive fires of competition within every wrestler in Mid-South, especially the man with me right now, Butch Reed. Not everyone could be in the tournament; it was limited to just eight wrestlers, and Butch Reed was unfortunate not be picked. From what I understand, he did come close, as did many, and Butch; we’ve heard from a lot of fans about how they respected the manner in which you handled not being in that tournament. You weren’t happy, obviously, and nobody expected you to be, but you handled the situation with some real class and that hasn’t gone unnoticed by people.”

‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed: “It’s like I said at the time, Jim; a real man gets off of his butt and does something when things don’t go his way. He doesn’t cry and complain like some people do. I wasn’t in that tournament and all the crying and complaining in the world wasn’t going to change that. So I’m going to do exactly what I said I’m going to…”

*There is a reaction from the fans because ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams has walked out, and he makes a beeline for Watts and Reed, and the ‘Dr’ doesn’t look too happy*

‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams: “I heard what you both been saying, and I heard what you both said these past couple of weeks about this TV title tournament. We all know you were knocking me, so why don’t you come out and say it?”

‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed: “If I wanted to knock you, Williams, I’d be knocking you. And I’d knock you to your face.”

*Williams steps forward to go nose-to-nose with Reed*

‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams: “I’m in your your face, and if I wanna knock you..”

*Williams suddenly drills Reed with a punch, stunning Reed who can barely stay upright. Williams clotheslines Reed who takes a hard bump to the floor. Williams proceeds to punt Reed in the stomach, leaving Reed winded before Williams sneers and shakes his head and then walks off. As Watts checks on Reed, Jim Ross is obviously outraged at what Steve Williams has gone, calling it a cheapshot attack. Ross is about to say something else when Dutch Mantel walks out and Ross wonders what is going to happen now*

00:39 – 00:41 --- Mantel walks over to the commentary table, barely glancing at the fallen Reed who is being helped up and tended to by officials

Dutch Mantel: “I know my match is meant to be next, Ross, but I’m out here to tell you I’m not wrestling; I’m forfeiting the match.”

Jim Ross: “Forfeiting the…why in the heck are you doing that?”

Dutch Mantel: “It’s simple. I’m not risking myself ahead of my TV title tournament match. That would be stupid and I’m not stupid, Ross. So I’m forfeiting the match. Give the other guy the win if you want. Heck, it’ll be the only win in that kid’s life. But I’m not wrestling this week.”

*Mantel walks off, by which time Bill Watts has retaken his seat besides Ross. After telling us that Butch Reed has been helped to the back, with a possible rib injury, Watts then expresses his disgust with Dutch Mantel for forfeiting his match, Watts saying that no real competitor would ever do that. Ross says that the only match left for tonight is Tom Prichard against Nord the Barbarian in the television title tournament, so we’ll take a few moments and then bring Tom Prichard out*

00:41 – 00:42 --- A graphical insert says that Mid-South Wrestling is returning to the Riverside Centroplex Arena in Baton Rouge, Louisiana on July 27th. The voiceover, voiced by Jim Ross, says that all the top stars of Mid-South will be there; the North American Champion, Terry Taylor, Kamala, Butch Reed, the One Man Gang, Steve Williams and more. The card starts at 7:30pm

00:42 – 00:46 --- Tom Prichard comes jogging out, ready for his match against Nord the Barbarian. Prichard hasn’t even reached ringside before Steve Williams comes sprinting out from the back and clobbers Prichard from behind with a clothesline. As Jim Ross screams in incredulity, Williams stomps away on Prichard before dragging him to ringside. Before officials have a chance to intervene, Williams presses Prichard above his head and drops him face first onto the ring apron, and Prichard’s neck snaps back as he falls to the floor

Williams stands over Prichard, who is in some distress. Williams smirks and walks off as officials rush in to help Prichard. As this is going on, Skandor Akbar leads Nord the Barbarian out from the back. Jim Ross says that there is no way this match can take place now, but as Nord enters the ring, a dazed Tom Prichard waves away concerned officials and staggers towards the ring, Prichard barely able to stand, and Bill Watts says that Prichard is showing tremendous courage in insisting he still wrestle, even though, Watts theorises, he may be concussed

A barely stable Prichard rolls into the ring, soon followed by a referee, and Jim Ross says we’ll go to a break and when we come back, we’ll find out what is going to happen and whether this match will be taking place

00:46 – 00:50 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:50 – 00:56 ---

Mid-South Wrestling Television Championship Tournament Quarter-Final: Tom Prichard vs. Nord the Barbarian (with Skandor Akbar)

We return from the break to see a referee checking on Tom Prichard, who again waves away his protests and insists on starting the match. The referee reluctantly calls for the bell and Nord promptly charges across the ring and clotheslines Prichard to the mat. Nord covers…one…two…kick out from Prichard, who is clutching his head, and Jim Ross expresses his belief that Prichard is still feeling the effect of the attack he suffered at the hands of ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams

As Skandor Akbar cheered his client on, Nord pretty well beat up Tom Prichard at will. Bill Watts praised the efforts of Prichard to try and stay in the match, but it was obvious that the youngster was in no fit state to present any kind of serious challenge to his larger and more powerful opponent. Indeed, it seemed like Nord could have won this match at any time he wanted, but Akbar was insistent on Nord delivering more damage, and Jim Ross wondered if Akbar was trying to send a message to everyone else in the TV title tournament

The fans were booing and jeering, getting restless with what was coming across like a glorified sparring session. Bill Watts stressed that Prichard would normally be able to put up a real fight and would have the talent and ability to make this match a true contest. However, Watts said the pre-match attack at the hands of Steve Williams had done a real number on Prichard and it seemed like Nord’s insistence on toying with Prichard was only delaying the inevitable

Spoiler:

That all changed when ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed came sprinting out from the back, Reed having recovered enough from the attack at the hand of Steve Williams to make an appearance at ringside, although it was noticeable that he was keeping one arm close to his ribs.

Nord noticed Reed, who was cheering Prichard on from ringside, Reed urging the youngster to fight. Nord threw a kick through the ropes to try and hit Reed, who caught the foot of Nord. The referee told Reed to let go of Nord’s foot, and Reed did so, but this gave Prichard the chance to grab hold of Nord; Prichard went to whip Nord into the ropes but Nord reversed the move and sent Prichard into the ropes instead. As Prichard came off, Nord threw a clothesline but Prichard ducked, Prichard ducked the second clothesline as well but on third clothesline, Prichard grabbed the arm of Nord and swung his legs up and across to take Nord down into a crucifix…one…two…three…Nord kicked out but it was too late, and the Irish McNeil Boy’s Club was going wild as Tom Prichard had scored a major come-from-behind victory, with what Bill Watts called his first major offensive manoeuvre of the match

Prichard immediately rolled out to the ring and Butch Reed raised the arm of the plucky youngster, who was in too much of a daze to really react, but the fans were cheering him loudly, Butch Reed was obviously happy, but Skandor Akbar was throwing the mother of all tantrums as he was decidedly unhappy. Jim Ross was going crazy, putting over how Prichard had showed tremendous resilience and heart, and capitalized on the mistake of Nord to gain the victory and advance to the semi-finals of the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion.

Result: Tom Prichard pinned Nord the Barbarian in 5:24 with a crucifix

END CREDITS

@keefmoon

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by keefmoon View Post
    YES! Can't believe I didn't see this before!
    I haven’t updated in a couple of months, so it’s been languishing on the second page. I’m actually surprised it didn’t get to page three in my absence.

About 7-8 years ago someone added a load of Mid-South on to Daily Motion (this was pre-Network) and I became absolutely hooked on it. I just loved the presentation. Not visually, but the style they brought to it all. Everything was treated with pure legitimacy and authenticity. The wrestlers are athletes and fighters. They're all "men's men". They take their beatings and the come back for more. The babyfaces don't bitch and moan, they get on with it and try to make the most of what they have. And everything makes sense. Slow build stories that make sense between people who are treated with respect by the booking. Basically, Mid-South is what I want my wrestling to be, and I hope that comes out in my booking.
    That’s the same reason why I love Mid-South. It made wrestling feel like a sport, even with the crazy and colourful characters. Mid-Atlantic had that as well, and managed to keep that feeling for a couple of years after evolving into JCP before it faded away as Dusty started burning out.

Enjoying this so far. You're really nailing the presentation, with the to-the-point promos between matches, the squashes that end in holds, and the big main event. Really great so far. I'm particularly liking how Terry Taylor is being presented, and the DWB/Rock and Rolls feud has been great.
    The style of the promotion is definitely a lot of fun to write. I miss the more simple, straightforward days when you didn’t need to overproduce every segment just to justify having a room of writers with no actual writing ability.

The WWF angle is a really interesting one. I'm guessing you're doing that because there's no real way Mid-South could have survived with the WWF juggernaut as it was post-1985? Either way, it makes for a unique approach, and one that I'm enjoying following along with. Does this mean that Ted DiBiase won't ever become the Million Dollar Man? Because, honestly, DiBiase returning to Mid-South would be EPIC.
    On all fronts, wait and see.

Anyway, very much enjoying so far and look forward to following on from now.
    So you've got a pretty easy reader in me!
    Good to have you onboard.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Mid-South Wrestling TV - June 13th 1985

Mid-South Wrestling TV – June 13th 1985

Jim Ross and ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts are sat ready to provide the commentary for tonight’s action. Ross and Watts run down what we’ll be seeing; the Mid-South Tag Team Champions, the Rock and Roll Express will see action, as will the Dirty White Boy’s; Kamala will be here; Jake Roberts will see competition; and the main event is the third quarterfinal match in the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion, and it will see Brad Armstrong take on Dutch Mantel.

00:02 – 00:07 ---

Mid-South Tag Team Champions The Rock and Roll Express © vs. Jack Victory and Steve Casey – non-title

The reigning Mid-South Tag Team Champions, the Rock and Roll Express, were as popular as ever tonight, garnering plenty of cheers and applause for everything they did. Bill Watts put across the teamwork and timing of Morton and Gibson, which was self-evident in the way in which they flummoxed and bamboozled their opponents. Jack Victory and Steve Casey seemed to be at a loss for how to deal with the speed of Morton and Gibson, hitting nothing but air with their punches and getting dropkicked for their troubles.

Spoiler:

And it was the patented double-dropkick finisher of the RnR Express that got them the win, with Morton covering Casey for the pinfall

Result: The Rock and Roll Express beat Jack Victory and Steve Casey in 4:19 when Ricky Morton pinned Steve Casey after the double dropkick

00:07 – 00:08 --- Bill Watts and Jim Ross then talk about some brewing news in the world of professional wrestling, with Watts saying that some very big negotiations are currently underway. Ross says that these negotiations, if they come to fruition, will have a huge impact across the entire wrestling world. Ross says that news about this could break at any minute and that when it does break, fans will hear about it right here on Mid-South television.

00:08 – 00:12 --- COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:12 – 00:16 ---

The Dirty White Boys vs. Edgar Thomas and Frank Lane

Whereas the Rock and Roll Expressed used their speed and agility, their main rivals at the moment, the Dirty White Boys, used brawling and general roughhouse tactics. And Tony Anthony and Len Denton relished giving out a beating to their opponents tonight, both men clearly enjoying handing out the pain and suffering. Bill Watts made the point that whilst you can decry their attitude and behaviour you cannot deny that the Dirty White Boys possess a real killer instinct, with Jim Ross saying that it has served them very well so far in their careers

Spoiler:

It served the well tonight, too, with Anthony finally ending the beating with his finisher, the brutal looking full-nelson facebuster.

Result: The Dirty White Boy’s beat Edgar Thomas and Frank Lane in 3:48 when Tony Anthony pinned Lane after the full-nelson facebuster

00:16 – 00:18 --- Jim Ross moves to ringside to interview Tony Anthony, who now knows that he’ll be facing Tom Prichard in the semi-finals of the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion;

Jim Ross: “Even though you were confident last week, Tony, of facing Nord the Barbarian in the TV title tournament, it didn’t turn out the way you expected and you’ll be facing Tom Prichard, with the winner going on to the tournament final.”

Tony Anthony: “It don’t matter to me who I face in the next round; if it was Nord the Barbarian, I’d a beat his brains out too. The fact that it’s that snot-nosed punk Tom Prichard; well, that just makes my job that much easier. Prichard, you been riding on a lot of luck, boy, but luck runs out. Luck runs and it’ll run out when you face me in that tournament semi-final, so you enjoy it while it lasts, Prichard, because you’re not going any further in the tournament. That is something you can take to the bank.”

00:18 – 00:19 --- As Ross makes his way back to the commentary table, Bill Watts talks about what happened last week, with Steve Williams attacking Tom Prichard right as Prichard was getting ready to face Nord the Barbarian in a quarterfinal match of the Mid-South Television Championship tournament. With his words being overlaid video footage of last week’s events, Watts says that Williams has been fined for his actions, for attacking Prichard. Watts says that when we come back from the commercial break, we’ll hear from Butch Reed, who was also attacked by Steve Williams last week, and who came out during Tom Prichard’s match to cheer the youngster on.

00:19 – 00:23 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:23 – 00:25 --- We’re back from the break, and ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed is with Bill Watts, to give his comments on what happened last week and why he did what he did in helping out Tom Prichard;

Bill Watts: “It was quite the eventful night, last week, for the man standing with me no, Butch Reed. Butch, you were attacked, cheapshotted by ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams, but that wasn’t the end of Williams’ night, because after he attacked you, Williams then later attacked Tom Prichard before Prichard’s match with Nord the Barbarian in the TV title tournament. But you had something to say about that match yourself, because you came out to cheer Prichard on, and in the process, you, indirectly, played a role in how that match ended.”

‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed: “I did what I did for two reasons. One, I wanted to make sure that that jerk, Steve Williams, didn’t get his way. Williams, if you can’t stand a little criticism, if you can’t stand the truth, then you’re not much of a man. And you’re not much of a man for attacking from behind a kid trying to get his break. Williams, if you want a fight head-on, I can and will give you a fight head-on, so you step up to the plate with me, son, and I’ll knock you out of the ballpark.

I also did what I did in that match to ruin the day of that snake, Skandor Akbar. Akbar, I don’t like you, I don’t like any of the men you manage, and if I can sprinkle a little rain on your parade, I’ll do just that.”

00:25 – 00:26 --- A graphical insert says that Mid-South Wrestling is returning to the Riverside Centroplex Arena in Baton Rouge, Louisiana on July 27th. The voiceover, voiced by Jim Ross, says that all the top stars of Mid-South will be there; the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion, Terry Taylor, Kamala, Butch Reed, the One Man Gang, Steve Williams and more. Ross says that matches for this great card will be announced soon, and that the action kicks off at 7:30pm

Kamala (with Skandor Akbar) vs. Steve Brinson

Skandor Akbar was in a foul mood and ordered Kamala to attack his opponent before the bell, ignoring the resultant protests from the referee. As Kamala battered Steve Brinson, Bill Watts said that it was quite clear that Akbar was using Kamala to vent his frustrations on how things played out for Nord the Barbarian last week.

Spoiler:

Jim Ross concurred with this assessment but before Ross could say much else, Kamala had squashed Steve Brinson with a big splash and got the pinfall victory.

Result: Kamala pinned Steve Brinson in 1:09 after a big splash

00:28 – 00:30 --- Jim Ross is back at ringside, this time to get words from Skandor Akbar, who is obviously not happy about how things played out for his man, Nord the Barbarian, last week;

Jim Ross: “Skandor Akbar, you were confident of Nord the Barbarian getting past Tom Prichard in the TV title tournament, but things didn’t work out quite the way you wanted, or expect, in part because of ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed.”

Skandor Akbar: “Butch Reed, you stuck your nose where it doesn’t belong. You had no right to interfere in that match, no right to cost Nord the Barbarian his rightful place in the TV title tournament; you had no right to have anything to do with that match at all. Well, you just saw what one member of my army can do, and when the time is right, I promise you this, Reed; you’ll find out first-hand what all three members of my army can do. You haven’t heard the last of this, Reed; I guarantee it.”

00:30 – 00:34 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:34 – 00:36 --- We return from the break and Bill Watts is now with Tom Prichard, the young man who, last week, scored something of a major upset over Nord the Barbarian to advance to the semi-finals of the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion;

Bill Watts: “I am here with one of the rising young stars in the sport, Tom Prichard. And, Tom; it was not looking good for you in the TV title tournament, because of the actions of ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams, who attacked you before the match. You were seriously hurt, but you showed tremendous guts by insisting on going ahead with the match; a lesser man would have walked away. But you wrestled on despite the obvious pain you were in, and, thanks to some indirect intervention by ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed, you pulled off the upset; you pinned Nord the Barbarian, clean in the middle, 1-2-3, and you are now in the semi-final of the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion.”

Tom Prichard: “I really don’t know what to think about what happened last week, Bill. I got jumped from behind by Steve Williams and, like you said, like the fans saw; I was hurt, bad, but I wanted to keep going. I knew that I might not get another chance like this again, a match in a title tournament, so I wanted the match to go ahead. I figured I’d probably lose because of how bad I was hurt, but I wanted to go down fighting so that I could at least hold my head up high. Then Butch Reed shows up, out of nowhere, and ends up turning the match in my favour and I manage to beat Nord the Barbarian. I take Nord down with the crucifix and hold his shoulders to the mat for the three count and I’m through to the semi-finals of the TV title tournament. I owe Butch Reed for the assist, I really do, and I have to figure out a way to repay the favour.”

00:36 – 00:39 ---

Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts vs. Mark Ragin

Jake Roberts was at his slithering and slimy best here, Roberts practically oozing around the ring with the manner in which he carried himself. Jim Ross made the comment that Roberts may not be the biggest or meanest looking wrestler in Mid-South, but no wrestler sends chills up his spine like Roberts does, because Roberts just has this aura about him. Bill Watts followed up on that line of thought by saying that even Will Rogers would have a hard time saying something positive about Roberts.

Spoiler:

Roberts was still a good grappler despite his aura, the way he carried himself, and this was reflected in a comprehensive victory, with Roberts dispatching his opponent with the DDT

Result: Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts pinned Mark Ragin in 2:13 after a DDT

00:39 – 00:40 --- Bill Watts then looks serious as he reminds us that, last week, they mentioned that Ted DiBiase wants to return to Mid-South Wrestling, despite having lost a Loser Leaves Town match to Jim Duggan on March 30th at the New Orleans Superdome. Watts says that DiBiase has been pleading his case for reinstatement to various wrestling publications, with Watts holding up a copy of Pro Wrestling Illustrated to, well, illustrate that fact; DiBiase is on the cover, and the headline reads “My Case For Reinstatement In Mid-South”.

Watts says that Mid-South Wrestling stands firm; it will honor the Loser Leaves Town stipulation and that Ted DiBiase will not be allowed to return to Mid-South Wrestling.

00:40 – 00:43 --- Dutch Mantel comes out from the locker room for his main event match with Brad Armstrong in the quarterfinals of the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion. Before getting to the ring, though, Mantel stops off at the commentary table to give a few words about the match;

Dutch Mantel: “That clown got lucky when he beat me a few weeks ago; if I had had a real tag team partner, one that I could actually count on, then that garbage never would have happened. This week, I won’t have to watch my back for an incompetent idiot to ruin things for me. It’s me and Armstrong, one-on-one, and Armstrong; I promise you a different outcome this time.”

*Mantel leaves the commentary table and walks to the ring. A few moments later, Brad Armstrong comes out from the other locker room, and he too stops off at the commentary table to give some comments*

Brad Armstrong: “Mantel can complain all he wants; the simple fact is that I beat him last time and I’ll beat him tonight as well. You see, this tournament is very important; it means a lot to me that I was selected to be part of it, and my family are proud of me for that fact. Mantel, I know that you’ll try your best to cheat and trick your way to victory, but I’m the one making a promise, a promise that nothing you try will work and that I’ll be the one in the semi-finals.”

*Armstrong walks to the ring, with Jim Ross saying this should be an outstanding match, a sentiment Bill Watts concurs with given the history between the two. Watts says that the match is next and we’ll get to it after the last commercial break of the broadcast*

00:47 – 00:56 ---

Mid-South Television Championship Tournament Quarter-Final: Brad Armstrong vs. Dutch Mantel

Armstrong and Mantel went right for each other as soon as the bell rang, which Bill Watts said was no surprise given how the two men feel about each other, Watts talking about how they’d exchanged words in recent weeks and the tag match that had seen them on opposing sides, a match that Armstrong won for his team when he pinned Mantel.

This meant the match was more of a brawl than a scientific affair, and whilst that type of match might seem like it would favour Mantel, Armstrong more than held his own in such an environment. This seemed to frustrate Mantel, who was obviously not excepting Armstrong to be able to match him in a brawl. More than once, Mantel threw Armstrong out to the floor, with the clear intention of Mantel being to try and get Armstrong counted; Mantel would tie up with Armstrong and then slam him on the floor or execute some other move and roll back into the ring, but Armstrong would always scramble back into the ring time to avoid being counted out

Mantel was getting increasingly irate, fuming, constantly questioning the referee over his count, and Bill Watts was critical of Mantel’s behaviour, Watts describing it as Mantel taking his eye off the ball; Jim Ross also made the point that Mantel was making no effort to pin Armstrong, and was, instead, looking for a cheap count-out victory

Spoiler:

Watts’ comments proved to be very prophetic as Mantel, still eyeing up the referee after making one of his many complaint, went to slam Armstrong, only for Armstrong to slip behind him and quickly deliver the side-Russian legsweep, the fans reacting with huge cheers, those cheers only getting louder when Armstrong covered Mantel got the three count, and Brad Armstrong had scored the clean pinfall victory over Dutch Mantel.

As the replay of the match finish was shown, Jim Ross stressed the importance of always keeping your focus on your opponent, and Bill Watts agreed, with Watts also praising Armstrong for being able to take advantage of the situation and putting himself in the semi-finals of the tournament crown a new Mid-South Television Champion

Result: Brad Armstrong pinned Dutch Mantel in 8:43 after the side-Russian leg sweep

END CREDITS

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

The World Wrestling Federation is No More

The World Wrestling Federation is No More

June 14th 1985

In a year where the big news has kept coming and coming, especially over the past few months, there can be no bigger news than the announcement, made in a press release issued to all forms of print and radio media, that Vince McMahon Sr., who had reacquired the World Wrestling Federation from his son just a few weeks ago, has decided to close the company down.

The press release cited ill-health as the reason for the decision, and the fact that he didn’t feel comfortable selling the company to any of the available suitors, which some took as thinly veiled shot at his son, who wasn’t mentioned at all in the press release. The release stated that Vince Sr. had chosen to close his company, which was officially formed as the World Wide Wrestling Federation in 1963, as he no longer wished to be involved in professional wrestling, or any business, and that he was simply looking to enjoy his remaining time away from the spotlight. Vince Sr. said he hadn’t taken the decision lightly, but that he feels this is the best decision for him and that he hopes wrestling fans will continue to support professional wrestling and those looking to make the sport grow.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Mid-South Wrestling TV – June 20th 1985

Mid-South Wrestling TV – June 20th 1985

Jim Ross and ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts are sat ready to provide the commentary for tonight’s action. Ross and Watts run down what we’ll be seeing; ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams is in action; as is ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed; ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan is here; we’ll see Brickhouse Brown; and in the last quarterfinal match in the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion, Robert Gibson takes on Len Denton

‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams vs. Edgar Thomas

‘Dr Death’ was never a popular man, but he was really heckled and jeered after his attack on Butch Reed a couple of weeks ago. As Williams beat up on poor Edgar Thomas, Bill Watts said that it really showed the character or lack thereof of Williams that he took the remarks of Butch Reed so personally when they were not aimed at him. Jim Ross speculated that Reed’s comments had touched a very raw nerve with Williams, and he lashed out as a result

Spoiler:

Whatever the motivation for his attack on Reed, Williams showed some of that viciousness in the beating he handed out to Thomas, with Williams swiftly putting his opponent away after the Oklahoma Stampede.

Result: ‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams pinned Edgar Thomas in 1:47 with the Oklahoma Stampede

00:04 – 00:05 --- Jim Ross moves to ringside to interview Williams, who still wasn’t looking happy despite having just won a match;

Jim Ross: “Not the most positive reaction from the fans, and I think they remember your attack on Butch Reed a couple of weeks ago, one that came without provocation.”

‘Dr Death’ Steve Williams: “I guess some people don’t learn their lesson, do they, boy? And you know who I mean when I say that, don’t you? I won’t even dignify that man by using his name. But that boy betta know that he don’t scare me at all. And he, and you know who I mean better always keep one eye looking over his shoulder, because this thing isn’t done yet.”

00:05 – 00:06 --- As Ross returns to the commentary position, Bill Watts says that the major negotiations that he and Jim Ross have been talking about over the past several weeks are continuing, and Watts says that from what he’s heard the negotiations are entering a very critical phase and Watts says that news could be breaking at any moment.

00:10 – 00:11 --- Bill Watts once again address the issue of Ted DiBiase wanting to return to Mid-South Wrestling despite having lost a Loser Leaves Town match back in March. Watts says that it would take quite the turn of events for DiBiase to return to Mid-South, Watts also saying that he has heard directly from Ted DiBiase himself and that DiBiase has vowed to ‘take major steps to return to Mid-South’ and that DiBiase says that the people are going to see that very soon.

00:11 – 00:12 --- When Watts finishes talking about DiBiase, we cut to some pre-recorded comments from Armstrong, giving his thoughts on the main event this evening between Robert Gibson and Len Denton, as Armstrong will face the winner of that match in the semi-finals of the tournament to crown the new Mid-South Television Champion;

Brad Armstrong: “People say that they don’t mind who they wrestle, and to some extent that’s true with me. But for a match like this, a tournament match for a major title, I have to admit I would definitely prefer to face Robert Gibson, and for one simple reason; I know that when I’m wrestling a guy like Gibson, I don’t have to worry about looking over my shoulder to see if someone is going to interfere in the match. When you’re facing a guy like Len Denton, you don’t just have to worry about his cheating, but you gotta worry about Tony Anthony getting involved; we’ve seen that happen already in this tournament. So I’ll happily tell you that I’m rooting for Robert Gibson later on, but whoever wins, they better know that I’ll be waiting for them in the semi-finals.”

00:12 – 00:14 ---

‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed vs. Jack Victory

Butch Reed was as popular as ever, especially after his actions in upsetting the plans of Steve Williams and Skandor Akbar, two men who fans cannot stand. As Reed showed his mix of power and agility, Bill Watts reminded us of the comments that Steve Williams made earlier on, the very disrespectful comments, about Reed, with Williams warning Reed to keep one eye over his shoulder.

Spoiler:

And as soon as Reed got the pinfall victory, we found out that William warning was more than hot air.

Result: ‘Hacksaw’ Butch Reed pinned Jack Victory in 1:39 after a flying shoulder tackle

00:14 – 00:21 --- Steve Williams hit the ring and attacked Butch Reed from behind, Williams knocking Reed down with a clothesline before stomping away on the Missouri native. As the fans booed loudly, Williams taunted Reed, demanding he stand up; Reed attempted to stand, but Williams kicked Reed back down and kept stomping away

Officials made to enter the ring to try and stop the assault but Williams took swings at all of them, sending them scurrying away in fear for their safety and preventing them from getting in and helping Reed out

Williams then lifted Reed up, slapped him around the face, before hoisting him over his shoulders and delivering the Oklahoma Stampede, leaving Reed down, writhing about and in tremendous pain. Reed struggled to move, his attempts to get to his fee futile as he fell back down, William sneered and smirked, mockingly wiping his brow and tossing the sweat onto Reed before walking off

With Williams gone, officials entered the ring and tended to Reed, who was in obvious pain from taking the Oklahoma Stampede, and Bill Watts said it showed what kind of move the Oklahoma Stampede is if it does this kind of damage to a double-tough guy like Butch Reed. The officials slowly help Reed to his feet, and whilst Reed can barely stand, he can stand and Reed slowly rolls out of the ring and the officials help Reed make his way towards the back... and Nord the Barbarian and the One Man Gang charge out, the two men knocking Reed to the ground and shoving the officials aside.

Jim Ross is outraged, irate, even, at this attack on a man who has already suffered a serious assault. As Nord and OMG stomp Reed, they bundled him back into the ring and Nord lays Reed out prone and lays across Reed’s legs, leaving him completely vulnerable as the One Man Gang delivers a big splash to Reed, and now Reed is jerking around, clutching his chest, spluttering, and Bill Watts sounds very concerned as he says it looks like Reed can’t even breath

Suddenly, there is a huge cheer as ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan comes sprinting from the back, dressed in street clothes and still clutching a holdall that he swings around like a weapon to send Nord and the Gang scattering. Nord and the Gang jog off, their work done as Reed is down and in even more pain than he was before. Duggan drops his holdall and immediately checks up on Reed, who is still clutching his chest and in great discomfort. As more officials come out from the back, Ross notes that Duggan is scheduled to wrestle shortly, with Watts remarking that Duggan was clearly late getting to the building and whilst that may get Duggan in trouble with Mid-South, he doubts Duggan cars about that right now because of what just happened, and Duggan helps Reed into the back, we go to a commercial break.

00:21 – 00:25 ---COMMERCIAL BREAK

00:25 – 00:26 --- We return from the break to a serious looking Bill Watts and Jim Ross talking about the despicable events that took place prior to the break, with Butch Reed getting attacked by Steve Williams and, after that, when he was getting helped, Reed then getting attacked again by Nord the Barbarian and the One Man Gang. Ross says that Reed is still being tended to by the physician appointed to this event by the athletic commission, but they will try and get an update on Reed’s condition before the program goes off the air.

00:26 – 00:29 ---

‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan vs. Stoney Burke

‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan was clearly in two minds during this match, Duggan looking distracted and even asking officials ringside about the condition of Butch Reed, and whilst Bill Watts said it was never a good idea to wrestle while distracted by outside issues, it showed the heart and compassion of Duggan that he was concerned about Butch Reed

Spoiler:

As such, this match lasted longer than most would have expected, although it’s not like Burke got in any offense before being put away with the spear clothesline.

Result: ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan pinned Stoney Burke in 2:47 after the spear clothesline

00:29 – 00:30 --- Before Jim Ross has a chance to go to ringside to interview Duggan, Duggan charges over to the commentary position, grabbing a microphone, Duggan clearly having something to say;

‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan: “I’m not standing for your garbage any more, Akbar. Jumping someone from behind is one thing; that happens in wrestling, even though I don’t like it. But sending out your goons to jump someone when they’re already down and out; that crosses the line. Reed can take care of Steve Williams; that’s his battle. But Akbar; I’m making you my battle. I’m making my battle with you and your goons, and I won’t rest until you’re taken care of.”

And a furious Duggan storms off, with Jim Ross remarking that he wouldn’t want to get in the way of Jim Duggan when he’s in this mood

00:30 – 00:31 --- A graphical insert fills the screen, reminding us that Mid-South Wrestling returns to the Riverside Centroplex Arena in Baton Rouge, Louisiana on July 27th, and voiceover copy from Jim Ross tells us that the main event to this great card will be announced next week.

00:35 – 00:38 ---

Brickhouse Brown vs. Shawn Michaels

Brickhouse Brown relished in hammering Shawn Michaels, Brown sending Shawn spinning in almost a complete 360 with one particular vicious clothesline. As Brown continued to hammer Michaels, Jim Ross made the comment that Shawn sure could take a beating, and Bill Watts followed up on that by saying Brickhouse loves dishing them out.

Spoiler:

And Brown dished out a nasty looking belly-to-back suplex off the middle ropes, the momentum of the impact causing Shawn to fold up end on his stomach, and it was more than enough to give Brown the victory.

Result: Brickhouse Brown pinned Shawn Michaels in 2:53 after a belly-to-back suplex off the middle rope

00:38 – 00:40 --- Bill Watts and Jim Ross start to talk about the main event of the evening, Robert Gibson versus Len Denton in a quarterfinal match in the tournament to crown a new Mid-South Television Champion, when Ross’ attention is diverted; Rossshakes his head, because Skandor Akbar has come out, the devious manager having something on his mind that he wanted to say;

Jim Ross: “What the heck do you want?”

Skandor Akbar: “The people know that Mid-South is running a supercard at the Riverside Centroplex Arena on July 27th, but what they don’t know and what I’m about to tell them is that the main event, the whole card, is going to revolve around me and my army.”

Jim Ross: “I guess you know the whole card, then, even though none of it has been formally announced by Mid-South?”

Skandor Akbar: “I know everything that happens around here, Ross; don’t you forget it.”

*Akbar walks off, leaving Ross and Watts to shake their heads in incredulity, their mood not really helped with the arrival of Len Denton, who is out to talk about the main event before he heads to the ring*

00:40 – 00:43 ---

Len Denton: “One of the Dirty White Boys is through to the semi-finals and the other one will be there too in a minute. Robert Gibson, you’re not getting anywhere near that Mid-South Television Championship, and it won’t be too long before the Mid-South Tag Team Championship is out of your possession as well.”

*Denton leaves and walks to the ring, Jim Ross commenting that Denton likes his chances but he won’t have an easy night when he takes on this man, Robert Gibson*

Robert Gibson: “Len Denton, you can talk all you want, but in that ring is where it really counts. We’ll see if you’ve got what it takes to beat me, but whatever you do; rock and roll is here to stay.”

*Gibson walks towards the ring and Jim Ross says that the main event, a quarterfinal match in Mid-South Television Championship tournament, will be happening in just a few minutes*

00:47 – 00:56 ---

Mid-South Television Championship Tournament Quarter-Final: Robert Gibson vs. Len Denton

There was no feeling out process here, just a rough collar-and-elbow tie-up followed up by lots of punches and kicks, Gibson eschewing his usually fast-paced scientific approach for simply trying to wrap his hands around the throat of a man who has been a thorn in his side for quite some time. Denton had no trouble returning in kind, so this was a match where the referee had his work cut out for him in trying to keep things under control. It wasn’t easy; in fact, more than once, the referee had to get out of the way to avoid getting knocked down by the warring wrestlers. And the action also repeatedly spilled out to the floor, providing more work for the referee and ensuring the crowd heat was rabid as Gibson, the firm fan favourite, battled the devious and diabolical Denton

Jim Ross began to talk about the various incidents that have taken place between the Rock and Roll Express and the Dirty White Boys, and it was at this moment that Tony Anthony, the tag team partner of Denton showed up ringside. Anthony wasn’t out for long before Ricky Morton, Gibson’s tag team partner, showed up, and it seemed like the match was primed to fall apart

Spoiler:

This is precisely what happened, and it started with Tony Anthony trying to interfere in the match. Anthony’s attempt at getting involved in the match caused Ricky Morton to go after him, Morton then chasing Anthony around the ring. Anthony tried to enter the ring but the referee block him from entering; this allowed Morton to tackle Anthony to the floor, which had the fans popping huge, but as this was going on, Denton viciously low blowed Gibson, Denton quickly rolling Gibson up. The referee turned his attention back to the match now that Anthony wasn’t going to enter the ring, and all the referee saw was Denton cradling Gibson so the referee made a three count, giving Denton the wildly unpopular victory

As Denton rolled out of the ring to join Tony Anthony at ringside, the two of them quickly scampering to the back, Ricky Morton entered the ring to check up on Robert Gibson, who was in tremendous pain, appearing to be in absolutely agony, and as the program went off the air, Bill Watts was heavily critical of the actions of Denton, and the final shot was of Gibson who was still down on the mat and convulsing in the throes of agony.

Result: Len Denton pinned Robert Gibson in 8:48 after a low-bow, following distraction from Tony Anthony

END CREDITS

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

The Giant Calls It a Day

The Giant Calls It a Day

June 20th 1985

The largest star in professional wrestling has announced that he is winding down his epic career. Andre the Giant, through a statement issued by his agent, announced that he would be competing in one last tour of the world before calling it a day on his professional wrestling career.

In the wake of the demise of the World Wrestling Federation, Andre was literally one of the biggest free agents on the market. However, the largest athlete in the world has decided that the time is right for his legendary career to come to an end. The statement his agent released said that Andre would be making stops in Japan, England and Mexico, wrestling against the biggest names in those countries, before retiring from the sport and the spotlight for good.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Jim Crockett Promotions and Mid-South Sports Announce Formal Partnership

Jim Crockett Promotions and Mid-South Sports Announce Formal Partnership

June 21st 1985

Jim Crockett Promotions and Mid-South Sports have formally announced that they have entered into what they are calling a joint partnership, where it seems that the ultimate goal is to divide the country up in a manner where the two companies are the dominant forces in professional wrestling.

Seizing upon the opportunity presented by the reduction in power of the WWF, a situation which ended with the WWF closing down, the two companies have decided that it’s better to work together to split the country between them and give themselves a better chance at keeping power, rather than try and take the whole country for just themselves and run the very real risk of ending up with nothing at all.

The official storyline is that the promotions, having seen the fall and eventual demise of the World Wrestling Federation, have decided that they, being the two dominant promotions, are going to find out who the best really is but rather than work against each other, they are going to work together to find that out and ‘let the fans decide’.

The storyline, which pretty much mirrors reality, is that JCP and MSS are going to hold a series of meetings and decide which states each promotion will control, literally dividing the country up between them, with the agreement being that Jim Crocket Promotions and Mid-South Wrestling will respect the borders, and keep syndicated television and house shows out of each other’s territory, which is how it used to be in the golden days of territorial wrestling.

The only exception to this, and it’s a big one because of what putting it together must have entailed, is that both promotions are going to get a two-hour evening slot on WTBS, which is nationwide, with Mid-South getting the 6:00pm slot on Friday nights and JCP getting the 6:00pm slot on Saturday nights.

The two new programs would debut on July 5th and 6th respectively.

In terms of talent, the storyline is that the two promotions have entered into a non-aggression pact, and will make no attempts to tamper with each other’s rosters, the idea being that they ‘won’t need to’ to prove they are the best. The reality is that, at some stage, wrestler’s will jump between the two promotions, but how and when that happens will be something the promotions will agree with each other, and it seems that, at least for now, both sides are very serious about making this work.

Where things get interesting is that with the demise of the World Wrestling Federation, there is a very large crop of talent that is now available. That talent, which includes some very big names, will be looking for work, but there is so much talent on the open market that JCP and MSS simply won’t be able to take everybody on board. How both promotions will go about bringing in any of those available names remains to be seen.

BTB of the Year 2012

Thread Information