Thread: WWECW December to Dismember 2006 Review

Rusev Day Smod

Status
      Country                    England

Ecw WWECW December to Dismember 2006 Review

ECW December to Dismember – December 3, 2006

The first and what would be only ECW pay per view when the brand returned under the WWE umbrella would be headlined by the first ever Extreme Elimination Chamber featuring the Big Show as champion, Bobby Lashley, Hardcore Holly, CM Punk, Rob Van Dam and Test. We all know what happened in the aftermath but let’s have a look at what most people consider to be a car crash of an event with only the main event properly built to and announced before the show actually aired.

DARK MATCH: Stevie Richards def. Rene Dupree

MNM vs. The Hardy Boyz

Nothing says an ECW pay per view like kicking it off with a tag team match with wrestlers from RAW and SmackDown right?! This was given so much time and couldn’t maintain the energy needed throughout. There was a good section midway through but there was so much stalling throughout which took me out of the action. Jeff Hardy tried his best to impress but struggled at times. The end came when MNM tried to hit a Snapshot from the top rope only for Matt to hit a modified Twist of Fate on the pair of them. He then dragged Mercury on top of Nitro for Jeff to deliver the Swanton Bomb for the one, two, three. With the massive lack of announced matches it was obvious these were given a hell of a lot of time and a quick Wikipedia check tells me they went 22 minutes and 33 seconds. Extremely difficult to make that work and unfortunately these four couldn’t pull off more than a decent match.

Matt Striker vs. Balls Mahoney

Before the match begins Matt Striker runs down the crowd and says the rules will be extreme, the rules will be followed to the extreme maximum. Striker lists a number of things which won’t be allowed and then Styles and Tazz hype that Mahoney actually has a good amateur background. The match wasn’t great. Striker worked on the arm throughout which didn’t make for much excitement and Mahoney won it out of nowhere with a sit-out spinebuster slam. The best thing about this match was that Matt Striker had his face on his rear end on his trunks which Tazz just clearly couldn’t deal with.

We go backstage and we see Sabu laying motionless on the floor. Sabu is meant to be in the Extreme Elimination Chamber but it doesn’t seem like he will be able to compete. This was apparently down to Sabu having heat backstage with WWE. The crowd predictably chanted ‘bullshit’ at Sabu being taken out of the match.

Elijah Burke & Sylvester Terkay vs. The FBI (Tony Mamaluke & Little Guido)

This was terrible. Sylvester Terkay was awful, why on earth or how on earth did he get hired? He’s billed as an MMA fighter who is brutal and he can’t even throw a punch that looks real. Without Elijah Burke this match would have probably been my lowest ever rated. Was still really bad and even with the FBI trying to make their opponents look good it was not to be. Terkay hit a Muscle Buster on Little Guido (Nunzio) after the match for added impact. This show so far…

Daivari vs. Tommy Dreamer

Another flat match which belonged on a TV show not a pay per view. No story leading into it and it had no hook for the viewer or the crowd in attendance. They were dead throughout. The only moment of excitement was Khali being ejected from ringside. Daivari picked up the win when he reversed a DDT attempt into a roll up and grabbed the tights to steal the victory. After the match Khali delivered the Punjabi Plunge to Dreamer on the steel ramp which looked brutal with no give whatsoever. Not surprised Daivari and Khali were being pushed as it is the epitome of everything Vince loves in wrestling. The anti-American and the giant all wrapped into one. Better match than the last one but still bad, very bad.

Mike Knox & Kelly Kelly vs. Kevin Thorn & Ariel

The first few minutes are Knox and Thorn before the women are tagged in and Kelly is shown up to not be any sort of wrestler at all. Kelly musters a few elbows before trying to get Knox back into the match but he decides to go for a walk and dump his girlfriend who is obsessed with CM Punk anyway. I mean who could blame him in all honesty?

After the match The Sandman comes down to save Kelly from Ariel and Kevin Thorn and nails him time and time again with his trusted Singapore Cane. For the first time all night the crowd go nuts because of the energy brought by The Sandman. He stalks Thorn the whole way up the ramp and continues connecting with his Cain before drinking some beer to celebrate as he gets a really good pop from what had generally been a dead crowd most of the night.

Paul Heyman comes out before the main event and cuts a promo on Sabu being out of the match and the dangers of the Extreme Elimination Chamber. He runs down the ECW Originals and says their time is over now. Heyman goes on to say the global phenomenon which is now ECW shall be led by the crown jewel, the Big Show. Man, they really should have picked someone better as Show was awful at this juncture in his career. The Chamber is then lowered and we are ready for the main event.

Big Show © vs. CM Punk vs. Test vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Hardcore Holly vs. Rob Van Dam
    Extreme Elimination Chamber

ECW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
    Order of Elimination: 1 – CM Punk, 2 – Hardcore Holly, 3 - Rob Van Dam, 4 - Test, 5 - Big Show

Hardcore Holly and Rob Van Dam would be the two men to start the match which was not a bad choice given their history. RVD was the man responsible for that horrendous gash Holly suffered when going through a table a couple of months earlier. It also made sense as other than CM Punk they were probably the best two workers in the match. There was a nice Rolling Thunder on the steel from RVD which was the highlight of the opening five minutes. The first man introduced into the match was CM Punk with a steel chair in hand. He nailed Holly but then RVD caught the chair being thrown at him and nailed Punk with it instead. The five minutes with Holly, RVD and Punk was very entertaining indeed with the chair in play and all three working hard to keep things flowing nicely. Test was the fourth man in the match with a crowbar. RVD would nail Punk with a steel chair shot in the corner and eliminate him with a Frog Splash. Test would then setup RVD for a big boot but took out Hardcore Holly instead! The referee only counted two but apparently Holly was eliminated. What a load of rubbish. Test would eliminate RVD with an elbow onto a steel chair from the top of a pod.

That would leave Test alone with Lashley and Big Show locked on pods. Lashley was next out except for Heyman’s security wouldn’t let him out. Lashley would use the table to bust through the top of his pod as he would take out Test with a clothesline from the top rope. Test was Irish whipped through the pod to make matters even worst for him. Lashley would take out Test with a Spear before Big Show was allowed out of his pod meaning it would be one-on-one at the culmination of the contest. Show would come out with his barbed wire baseball bat which actually never got used. In the end Lashley connected with a Spear to win the title. Perfectly fine first half but a very disappointing second half of the match with the crowd not even popping for the win.

Overall, ECW December to Dismember 2006 was not a great success. The relaunch of ECW should have all led to this show but for some reason we had three matches which were thrown onto the show which made it feel very like an extended version of the show we got every week. Heyman of course went after this pay per view following the blame being laid at his door but really it must have been a combination of people to do such a bad job. Why was there no plan two months out from this pay per view of the matches they wanted on the show. There were plenty of feuds they could have extended to make it work. CM Punk vs. Mike Knox for example. The other problem was having six people in the Chamber was always going to hurt the undercard. In truth, not a show worth watching but I’m reliving WWECW and this was the point I have reached so I figured I would give it a go. Now I want that two hours back…
    Last edited by Luka Smodric; 12-30-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WWECW December to Dismember 2006 Review

Overall, ECW December to Dismember 2006 was not a great success.

You can say that again. Everyone knows the problems with this show, it will forever be one of the worst pay-per-views ever in WWE history.

This was the show that killed all my enthusiasm to keep up with my WWECW rewatch; it'll be interesting to see if it does the same for you, Order. There are good things about the chamber match, but they're sort of swallowed up by all the bad things about it.

I loved the Striker rules, guilty pleasure in my rewatch.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Egypt

I loved Elijah Burke. Why he was paired with Terkay is one of those things I'll never understand.

I hate early ECW more than anything because it made people think ECW sucked forever when it was actually great for the last 2 years.
    Angels in Flight~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

ECW ruled in 2009. Late 2006, not so much. Is this perhaps the worst WWE produced PPV of all time? That Hardys/MNM match was fine but three stars seems like an appropriate rating. This thing sucked.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Brick Shithouse

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    ECW ruled in 2009. Late 2006, not so much. Is this perhaps the worst WWE produced PPV of all time? That Hardys/MNM match was fine but three stars seems like an appropriate rating. This thing sucked.
    I think King of the Ring 1999 would be my pick but this show was an absolute disaster. The main event was about as badly booked as it can be.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

I would point to this as the show that killed WWE's ECW. Between the lackluster show, and Bobby Lashley winning the title, and where he went as champion, just really hurt WWE's efforts.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

The single worst thing about this PPV is that it was the culmination of about six months worth of build-up. Other than the odd PPV match that WWECW was granted, this was the first chance that they had to properly put on a PPV since the brand was launched and...they had one real match to offer. Even though the Elimination Chamber match does automatically create interest, putting on such a match on WWECW was beyond stupid. You had like a dozen wrestlers on the entire roster and you're going to throw six of your top guys in one match? Okay then.

Thread Information