Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018)

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)

Jean Grey begins to develop incredible powers that corrupt and turn her into a Dark Phoenix. Now the X-Men will have to decide if the life of a team member is worth more than all the people living in the world.
    Director: Simon Kinberg
    Release Date: February 14th, 2019
    Writers: John Byrne (story "The Dark Phoenix Saga"), Chris Claremont (story "The Dark Phoenix Saga")
    Stars: Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/07/xmen...st-look-cover/

This Phoenix has risen… again. On Nov. 2, 2018, Dark Phoenix will arrive in theaters and finally deliver the storyline X-Men fans have wanted for years. Simon Kinberg previously attempted to tell the iconic Jean Grey tale — about the telepath’s battle with demons in her own mind — with his screenplay for 2006’s X-Men: The Last Stand, but studio pressure squeezed her story into a reductive subplot. Kinberg, making his directorial debut, felt in his gut that this was the story that he needed to tell once Bryan Singer, who directed the previous two sequels, stepped aside. “[The film] was so clear in my head, emotionally and visually, that it would have killed me to hand this to somebody else to direct,” Kinberg says.

Set in 1992, about 10 years after the events of last year’s X-Men: Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix opens with the X-Men, including Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Storm (Alexandra Shipp), Nightcrawler (Kodi Smit-McPhee), and Quicksilver (Evan Peters), in a new, unexpected role: national heroes. Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) even lands on the cover of Time magazine. But his growing ego puts the team at risk. “Pride is starting to get the better of him, and he is pushing the X-Men to more extreme missions,” Kinberg says. After they’re dispatched to space for a rescue mission, a solar flare hits the X-Jet and the surge of energy ignites a malevolent, power-hungry new force within Jean (Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner)— the Phoenix.

Based partially on Chris Claremont’s comic, Phoenix will feature some of the series’ biggest set pieces to date, including the X-Men’s first trip to outer space. It’s also the most sinister, and somber, chapter in the saga and includes a massive twist halfway through that will irrevocably change the course of the franchise. “This is probably the most emotional X-Men we’ve done and the most pathos-driven,” McAvoy says. “There’s a lot of sacrifice and a lot of suffering.” The movie becomes a fight for Jean’s soul as Phoenix threatens to overtake her mind and divide the X-Men, particularly Jean and her mentor, Charles. “It’s about the butterfly effect of this thing happening,” says Turner, who studied schizophrenia and multiple personality disorders to prepare. “What happens when the person you love the most falls into darkness?”

All involved with the production of Phoenix last summer in Montreal wouldn’t know the answer as the experience on set was actually calm, an adjective not usually applicable to X-Men shoots. Ellen Page recently accused Last Stand director Brett Ratner of homophobic and abusive behavior on the set of that film. (Ratner’s lawyer did not respond to EW’s request for comment.) Singer faced sexual assault allegations in 2014. Those charges — which Singer called “outrageous, vicious, and completely false” — did not stem from anything on an X-Men production, but his sets do have a reputation for drama. (On Dec. 4, Fox dismissed him in the middle of directing Bohemian Rhapsody, and though he’s credited as a producer on Phoenix, he has not been directly involved with the film.) “I had heard stories of these sets,” admits Jessica Chastain, who plays an otherworldly shapeshifter who comes into contact with Phoenix. “But working with Simon and Hutch and Sophie was the most loving, strong, happy set.” Adds Lawrence: “It was unrecognizable. Everything was on time. Everything was organized. These movies have always been fun amidst chaos, and now they were fun with no chaos.”
    I'm really hoping New Mutants and Dark Phoenix films really do well after Apocalypse went backwards for alot of people. The Dark Phoenix Arc one of my favorite arcs and I hope THEY GIVE ME THE STARJAMMERS DAMMIT!
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 09-27-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018)

I wonder if they'll be any references to Last Stand?

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    I wonder if they'll be any references to Last Stand?
    I still can't believe they let a guy who wrote a shitty script make this his directorial debut with this. It's possible Ratner was entirely to blame but that seems like a stretch. Hoping for the best, not expecting much.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    I still can't believe they let a guy who wrote a shitty script make this his directorial debut with this.
    The Last Stand script just scratches the surface of the bad shit this guy has written over the years. He's also written the scripts for xXx: State of the Union, Jumper, This Means War, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter AND he co-wrote the most recent Fantastic Four movie.

With that track record I see no way this movie isn't going to suck.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Horror Comedies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    The Last Stand script just scratches the surface of the bad shit this guy has written over the years. He's also written the scripts for xXx: State of the Union, Jumper, This Means War, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter AND he co-wrote the most recent Fantastic Four movie.

With that track record I see no way this movie isn't going to suck.
    I love that we live in a world where Christopher Nolan gave us the best adaptation of Batman ever and these people are still trying to cut corners when hiring directors on shit like this. And by love I mean loathe with every molecule of my being.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I love that we live in a world where Christopher Nolan gave us the best adaptation of Batman ever and these people are still trying to cut corners when hiring directors on shit like this. And by love I mean loathe with every molecule of my being.
    he made the keaton batmans?

Status
      Country                    United States

I've personally loved all the First Class Era X-Men and The Dark Phoenix Saga is one of my favorite chapters of X-Men lore, so I'm going in with a willingness to be entertained. If Simon fucks this up twice, then I agree we should get the pitchforks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bing Bong View Post
    he made the keaton batmans?
    Bing Bong might be on to something here. I think that was actually Tim Burton.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*
    HELLO, EMMA: SCREAM MAFIA 2

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Prince Of Joshi

Status

Yeah Simon Kinberg is getting his nerd redo to fix the problems he's had done with The Last Stand, but I think he right the wrongs on what happened last time around. I'm just so happy were going to into Space with the X-Men you can make the Phoenix arc into two films if you want to. Maybe towards the end of this film Jean Grey is on trial in Space for her crimes she's going to commit when she loses control and they you sew up the rest of the story in the second film. Just hoping his Writing work for Star Wars Rebels is more of what we see in this film rather than his past ideas for Movies.

Real Women of Genius

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

I still can't believe they let a guy who wrote a shitty script make this his directorial debut with this. It's possible Ratner was entirely to blame but that seems like a stretch. Hoping for the best, not expecting much.
    Kinberg is such a fucking hack. Any successes he has had has been on the backs of others. This will be a complete car crash with him writing and directing. I'll be utterly stunned if this is any good.

Status

I don't really high hopes for this movie other than it putting the final nail in the coffin of this franchise before Marvel reboots it in 2-3 years

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Kinberg might be a sack of shit but has the Dark Phoenix story ever really been good? Even in comics it’s not a good story to me.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    I don't really high hopes for this movie other than it putting the final nail in the coffin of this franchise before Marvel reboots it in 2-3 years
    amen good brother

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Now that Disney owns it, could we see this scrapped entirely? I can imagine Feige just saying "fuck this mess" and dumping Kinberg and the unfilmed FoX-Men slate ready for the reboot in MCU Phase 4.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Now that Disney owns it, could we see this scrapped entirely? I can imagine Feige just saying "fuck this mess" and dumping Kinberg and the unfilmed FoX-Men slate ready for the reboot in MCU Phase 4.
    According to that article in the OP the movie is already in the can so scrapping it would be pretty stupid, particularly when you consider Disney's going to be eager to start recouping the money they've spent on Fox.

Plus, let's be completely honest here, Kevin Feige has sway over the Marvel arm of Disney, not Disney itself, and the executives probably couldn't care less about his opinion when it comes to the bottom line. If there's any money to be salvaged out of this, they're going to release it.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Horror Comedies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

This is how much I don't care about this movie... I didn't even realise they'd already filmed it.

Prince Of Joshi

Status

First Trailer for The Dark Phoenix from X-Men. Good shit I really like where they are going with this as it seems it's Xavier relationship with Jean and how he kept things from her and kept the truth from her that Comic Book readers know what he's talking about. Still this is kinda want I wanted, but I don't want to see this finish up in one film because it should go to Space. Also X-Men at odds again and it seems Beast is rolling with Magneto in that one Scene which I think was two other Brotherhood members or is Xavier telling Magneto to not piss off or kill Jean?
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 09-27-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Real Women of Genius

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)

Already looks better than Apocalypse. Not hard I know, but still, progress.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Bastard of Bolton

Status

Wasn't overly sold on the trailer for this movie. Not sure what it was just wasn't impressed. Same time I want this film to be good. I really do. So here's hoping the next trailer does it more justice

Prince Of Joshi

Status

When Mystique is talking to Xavier about Jean, it made me think when Logan was talking about how when you keep an Beast caged..THE BEAST GETS ANGRY! This Movie feels personal they know Jean is a huge fucking threat, but they can't just kill her. I wonder who did Jean kill in that Funeral Scene and I love Magneto calling Xavier on his shit.

Real Women of Genius

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)

ANNNNNDDDDDD now it's delayed until June 2019. Maybe my optimism was misplaced.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thread Information