Thread: Best Short Wrestling Matches

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Best Short Wrestling Matches

No I don't mean things like WeeLC , I'm talking about sprint matches that are all action and don't go much longer than 5 minutes. I've noticed a lot more of them in the last 12 months than we've been used to seeing, someone like Oney Lorcan in NXT has worked nothing but sprints all year and it's been excellent to watch. Thought it would be an interesting topic to have a thread recommending short matches because they're not talked about in the same vein as great 20+ minute matches that go on to be MOTYC and it's not like it would take an awful lot of time to check them out.

Some that come to mind for me:

Lesnar Vs Goldberg WM33 - Hidden in a horrible last 2 hours of Wrestlemania was a match way better than it had any right to be and built perfectly off the shock Goldberg win at Survivor Series. Lesnar's leapfrog sticks in the memory for sure.

KENTA Vs Ricky Marvin NOAH 15/10/09 - The match only lasts a couple of minutes but it's brutal, blink and you miss it action. Link included in bolded title.

Ken Shamrock Vs Owen Hart Fully Loaded 1998 -A match I'd never seen until Shock put it in his top 100 WWE matches of 96-05. Really unique match and the short run time allows the match to not get repetitive.

Matt Riddle Vs Trent Seven Progress SSS16 2017 Night 1
    - Maybe the best one move match in wrestling history. Trent talks crap for about 5 minutes before the match about how successful he is being apart of WWE and co-workers with Brock Lesnar, and Riddle cuts him down to size beating him in 6 seconds to a massive roar from the crowd.

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Re: Best Short Wrestling Matches

Trying to think of some Rey matches, he's gotta have a few in the bank

The Shield vs. Kane & The Outlaws at WM30 was a short one I was a fan of. Went exactly how it should of gone, any longer would have made the Shield look bad.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Lesnar Vs Goldberg WM33 - Hidden in a horrible last 2 hours of Wrestlemania was a match way better than it had any right to be and built perfectly off the shock Goldberg win at Survivor Series. Lesnar's leapfrog sticks in the memory for sure.
    And built even more perfectly off their flop 13(!) years prior by being the complete opposite in every good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

At one point, Owen Hart vs The 1-2-3 Kid from King of the Ring '94 was the example of a great short match. It's not even four minutes long, but they crammed so much action in it that it ended up being the most memorable match on the entire show.

Sweet Meat

Status

Oney vs McIntyre deserves a big shout. A great TV sprint

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status
      Country                    United States

Triple H and Taka had a dope ass world title match on RAW in April of 2000 that was just a little over 5 minutes.

Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    Any Lorcan match is worth the watch but this one is brutally awesome and still perhaps McIntyre’s best NXT match.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Any Lorcan match is worth the watch but this one is brutally awesome and still perhaps McIntyre’s best NXT match.
    People think I'm crazy for having it on the same level as the Almas title win. But dammit, it ruled

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Trying to think of some Rey matches, he's gotta have a few in the bank

The Shield vs. Kane & The Outlaws at WM30 was a short one I was a fan of. Went exactly how it should of gone, any longer would have made the Shield look bad.
    Rey Vs Punk from mania 26 comes to mind because I remember loving the action, but thinking it ended too quickly. Served as a good taste-test for their belters to come months later.

Wasn't the big Shield match I was hoping for come mania, but they'd run through every trio at this point. Fun destruction of some attitude era stars.

Amazing booking, didn't see it coming, in some respects I prefer this to their match at WK. Hiromu had an excellent sprint with Liger this year at BOSJ too. I miss the time when that division was on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    At one point, Owen Hart vs The 1-2-3 Kid from King of the Ring '94 was the example of a great short match. It's not even four minutes long, but they crammed so much action in it that it ended up being the most memorable match on the entire show.
    Watched this for the first time this morning and it's very good, I always love Pac whenever I go back and watch mid 90s WWF. If WWE did a network special of KOTR with the main roster starting with quarter finals and the opening round was sprints like 1-2-3 Kid Vs Owen Hart it would be one of the most refreshing shows of the year. Kinda like the UK Tournament I guess but 1 night instead of 2.

He couldn't of asked for a better return to NXT and this feels like the start of Oney's great 2017.

People think I'm crazy for having it on the same level as the Almas title win. But dammit, it ruled

The title change puts it over the Oney match for me, but bell to bell I probably prefer the action in the Oney sprint. Both great matches.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Probably not a great ‘match’ , but I always enjoyed the Tazz vs Lawler match at Summerslam 2000.

http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=165683
    BEING THE BOOKER

COMING SOON (hopefully)

YES! YES! YES!

Status

AOP Vs Burch and Lorcan was a glorious minute of wrestling.

Oney's sprints have been a highlight of 2017.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Authors of Pain versus Ones and Twos might be my favorite match on the year.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Character Jobber

Status

Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus at WM28. I know Daniel Bryan is a far better wrestler and deserved a longer/better match, but this match was fun storytelling. The "good luck" kiss followed by the boot and pin made it shocking and led to and really helped lift AJ up a level, and Daniel Bryan also seemed to continue to work his way up the card heading into his feud with CM Punk.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus at WM28. I know Daniel Bryan is a far better wrestler and deserved a longer/better match, but this match was fun storytelling. The "good luck" kiss followed by the boot and pin made it shocking and led to and really helped lift AJ up a level, and Daniel Bryan also seemed to continue to work his way up the card heading into his feud with CM Punk.
    The only problem is that after months of building Sheamus up in 2011, he was immediately ruined upon winning the title due to the booking of that match. Maybe the good outweighs the bad, but there's one very clear negative in that match.

Thread Information