Thread: WCW Halloween Havoc 1997 Review

Halloween Havoc WCW Halloween Havoc 1997 Review

Halloween Havoc
    October 26, 1997

Ultimo Dragon vs Yuji Nagata w/Sonny Onoo
    Back at Slamboree, Onoo turned on Dragon due to a difference of opinions. That led to Onoo trying to find a man that could take care of Dragon. His initial choice of Psychosis did lead to a good match with Dragon at Great American Bash, but Onoo didnít have much success with Psychosis and it was a weird chemistry. Meanwhile, Nagata had left New Japan as a young lion to head to WCW to gain some experience back in March. He was just a jobber for the first six months before he was randomly paired with Onoo earlier in the month to kick off this program. This match was actually rather good. Apparently Dragon is going into the match with some bone chips on his elbow, which nicely played into the story once Nagata started going after the arm. Considering how hit and miss Dragon in WCW can be when it comes to selling, the real life injury greatly helped him sell wonderfully. The longer the match goes, the more of a disadvantage Dragon is at, with the pain from the arm taking up more and more of his attention. He canít slap on the Dragon Sleeper at full force and even hitting top rope spots arenít generating much success since it takes him so long to go for the cover due to needing to hold the arm. The finish is very sudden, but I love it in the context of the match. Nagata simply surprised Dragon with a counter and hooked an armbar onto Dragon, forcing Dragon to quickly tap out. Dragon may have had a lot of heart and got to the ropes during the earlier Nagata Lock, but an armbar was too much for him. Better than their rematch at World War 3 Ď97. Considering how little WCW used Nagata after November, he was a real missed opportunity in the Monday Night Wars. *** ľ

Chris Jericho vs Gedo
    Before he was the IWCís favorite booker, Gedo was a chubby looking wrestler that wasnít exactly popular due to being overpushed. I donít understand this matchmaking of this at all. At the time, Gedo had zero name value in America. He had never worked for WCW before and would only work two more matches, one in November and the other in January Ď98. If this was a try-out, why not just give Gedo a dark match? WCW didnít even advertise the match, so itís not as if anyone gained anything from giving Jericho Gedo as an opponent. I need a shoot interview to explain this. Anyways, this was just okay. Gedo isnít like Jerichoís normal WCW opponents, so something felt a little off. Gedo was aggressive though and I dug his selling. Really though, the match is irrelevant. The thing that truly matters is the infamous Jericho top rope Frankensteiner. As Jericho climbed to the top rope with Gedo, it was really noticeable that Jericho didnít have his balance in control. Once he went up for the Frankensteiner, he came down looking as if he may have landed on top of his head. Itís a sick looking botch. Even when weíre shown a replay and itís clear that Jericho managed to flip over completely before hitting the mat, all that meant was he landed directly on his face instead. Jericho is clearly a little loopy and by the end of the match, would have a bloody nose. Jericho would win after moving out of the way of a Gedo Missile Dropkick, locking in the Liontamer to get the submission victory. Perfectly fine for a bonus match, but I still havenít a clue why this was booked on PPV. ** Ĺ

Eddie Guerrero © vs Rey Mysterio Jr. - WCW Cruiserweight Title
    If Eddie wins, Mysterio must unmask. This match perfectly sums up the Cruiserweight division, at itís peak, in WCW. Obviously, itís a great match, but donít let that fool you into thinking that the Cruiserweights were some important thing in WCW. This feud began a month earlier in conjunction with WCW and Mike Tenay beginning to showcase the lucha libre mask through a series of videos. Mysterio started coming to the ring, giving away a mask to a kid in the front row. From there, Guerrero randomly started trying to take the mask of Mysterio and even donned the mask of "El Caliente" in a losing effort against Mysterio on an episode of Nitro. Itís a good program, but itís a program jammed packed in a very short period of time because WCW didnít care about having any long Cruiserweight programs. Despite the problems with the booking of the division, this match has a ton to offer. To start with, Mysterioís gear. I believe this would mark the first time Mysterio wrestled in a superhero (The Phantom) inspired gear, but itís not just a cool look, thereís a purpose to it. Since Guerrero cost Mysterio a match on Nitro by running out and ripping off Mysterioís mask, causing Mysterio to be distracted, this Phantom gear allows for the mask to be connected to the rest of the body suit, making it much more difficult to rip off. Then thereís Mike Tenay. He can be pretty hit or miss, especially in TNA, but here heís just on fire. Heís constantly bringing up random facts, whether itís bringing up Mysterio and his familyís past with the mask or the fact that the Guerrero family has always had a tumultuous relationship with the mask due to feeling as if theyíre in the shadow of masked wrestlers. The match has all of the crazy spots youíd imagine and theyíre performed so perfectly. The only spot that looked as if it could have led to a botch was when Mysterio flipped into the air, but looked to be out of position. Have no fear though as Guerrero manages to catch him and bring him down into a slam, to make the spot look as if it came off as intended. While Mysterio spent the match flying around, Guerrero kept to a mat based strategy working over the back and at times tearing at the mask, to get that sweet, sweet heel heat. Thereís several moments where youíre left thinking the match would be wrapped up, only for Mysterio to kick out or Guerrero to counter a spot. Ultimately, Guerrero does the worst thing you could do against Mysterio - attempting a splash mountain off of the top. Hasnít Guerrero watched any Mysterio/Juvi ECW/WCW matches?! Guerrera tried that dozens of times and it always failed him! I doubt the booking even realized this, but this title win is also quite significant as itís the culmination of an one year journey. Mysterioís 1996 Cruiserweight Title reign (And being the MVP) came to an end at Halloween Havoc Ď96 in this same building. In the year since, injuries had marred Mysterioís year, causing him to really struggle to replicate the success he had the previous year. Now at the same event where he lost the belt originally, heís recaptured it. Awesome story. Of course, itís WCW, so Mysterio would be loving it a couple of weeks later back to Guerrero on Nitro. In the past, Iíve struggled to conclude whether I believe this is five stars or not, but on this day Iím feeling pretty good. This is WCWís Cruiserweight division at its peak, even with all of the WCW booking hindrances, they still managed to make this feel so important. If anything, this match deserves the full rating because of how much WCW just did not care to try and help it. Your WCW MOTY. *****

Mongo vs Alex Wright w/Debra
    This was supposed to be another Mongo/Jeff Jarrett match, but Jarrett had left WCW to return to the WWE after the initial announcement. As a result, the match was kept, but with Debra promising a mystery opponent for Mongo. Wright was a pretty massive disappointment for the reveal of the mystery opponent. While Wright had been receiving a push lately, including three straight major event wins in a row (Road Wild, Clash of the Champions 35, and Fall Brawl) and had been Cruiserweight Champion and TV Champion in that time span, itís still just Alex Wright. Itís hardly as memorable as past Halloween Havoc mystery opponents like Rick Rudeís The Halloween Phantom back in 1991. Since I tend to skip the stuff in between the matches, apparently I missed an interview with Hollywood Hogan. In it, he claims that unless WCW can insure that Sting wonít interfere in the cage match against Roddy Piper tonight, he will refuse to compete tonight. Even though I didnít see the interview, I am forced to endure listening to the WCW commentators talk about it nonstop. I realize this is just Mongo vs Das Wunderkind, neither of which Iím a particular fan of, but itís a PPV match and seemingly an angle with Wright now with Debra. Yet, all the commentators are doing are talking about what cowards the nWo are and how theyíre just making up excuses since obviously Sting wonít be interfering since itís a cage match - the cage is to keep people out (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, maybe the nWo are just time travelers and they know full well that a cage match means there must be interference?) The match continues without the commentators caring. Itís mostly just back and forth. Not bad, but certainly not remarkable. I still feel bad for both wrestlers as the commentators just wonít shut up about the nWo and Piper. The finish is wonderfully botched. First you had Wright attempting a Mongo Spike (Tombstone), with Mongo supposed to reverse it into a Mongo Spike of his own, but they lose their balance and fall over, forcing them to repeat the spot. As soon as Mongo hits the Mongo Spike, the referee randomly distracts himself with Debra, even though she wasnít doing a single thing. That brings out the PPV debut of Bill Goldberg, who nails a Spear and Jackhammer on Mongo. The referee, Charles Robinson, is caught several times turning around to see how far along Goldberg is before turning his attention back on Debra. Finally, Goldberg throws Wright on Mongo, which is the cue for Robinson to turn around and count to three, giving Wright the unfair victory over Mongo. Couldnít Robinson have just relied on Debra to give him a sign that it was time to turn around instead of having to visibly see the interference multiple times, while pretending that he didnít see it? The rematch at World War 3 would be just as pointless. * Ĺ

After the match, Debra pays Goldberg off by giving him Mongoís Superbowl ring. This awful match/segment suddenly turns awesome as the geek, Wright, tries to shake Goldbergís hand, but instead Goldberg decks Wright. Goldberg tosses Wright into the ring and destroys him with the Spear/Jackhammer combo. Aw man, now I suddenly want to see a triple threat match with Mongo (Face) vs Wright (Heel) vs Goldberg (Tweener), with Goldberg squashing both of them. Even in this first PPV appearance, Goldberg came off like a monster star. Since WCW would run an injury angle with Goldberg at World War 3, fans would have to wait until Starrcade to see Goldbergís first PPV match. Nonetheless, a new major player has entered the game.

Disco Inferno © vs Jacqueline - Non-Title Match
    This poor TV Title. First it began the year around the waist of Prince Iaukea and now since Fall Brawl, Disco won the title off of Alex Wright and instead of putting him into a traditional feud against...anyone, heís put in an intergender program against Jacqueline. Yet, since Turner has strict rules about man on woman violence, Disco canít really touch her. Rather than scrap the program, WCW decided to just make this a non-title match and have virtually the entire match just be Disco running away from Jacqueline with Jacqueline getting in 99% of the offense. Once again, the commentators spent the majority of the match discussing the Hogan/Piper match, this time bringing the legal matters into it. If Hogan doesnít wrestle the match, heíll be in breach of contract~! Holy shit. I DONíT CARE! WCW is doing this stupid angle on PPV. Newsflash, everyone who is hearing about this angle has already bought the PPV! Youíre not going to bring in a single additional buy with the whole question over will they or wonít they have a match. If WCW wanted to do that angle, it should have been done on Nitro. I realize Iím looking at this with 2017 goggles, but is there a single person back in 1997, that was watching the PPV live, felt unsure if the match was going to happen or not? Fuck, I hate this company. This match is garbage. I actually feel bad for both parties involved because itís not as if they can do anything. Jacqueline did hit a nice looking floatover DDT. Disco continues to not want to get physical with her to the extend where his only moves were defensive moves like an arm drag and a drop toe hold. Jacqueline would get the surprise pinfall with a roll-up. Congrats, your WCW TV Champion was just pinned by a woman. Sure, Disco saved face by clearly not putting in any effort, but the fact remains. On one of the biggest PPVs of the year, your champion was just beat by a woman. Hereís a wacky idea, Jacqueline is the valet for Harlem Heat, why not just book Disco Inferno defending the TV Title against Booker T on this show instead? Iím utterly baffled sometimes that WCW was able to beat the WWE for a period of time when they were the wrestling equivalent of the kid who has to wear velcro shoes throughout their childhood because they couldnít figure out how to tie their shoes. Ĺ *

Curt Hennig © vs Ric Flair - WCW US Title
    Since Fall Brawlís nWo reveal of Hennig, Hennig defeated Mongo to win the US Title. Whatís with all of these non-PPV title changes since Fall Brawl? Disco won the TV Title, The Steiner Brothers won the Tag Titles (Why arenít they booked on this show?!), and Hennig won the US Title. Looking back, I feel WCW rushed this feud far too quickly. They had this huge angle at Fall Brawl with Hennig seemingly injuring/ending the career of Flair, but here Flair is back at the very next PPV. Build that shit up. I would have had Hennig win the US Title from Mongo at Halloween Havoc, either defend it against Benoit or have Hennig team with a member of the nWo against Mongo/Benoit at World War 3, and then have Flairís return be at Starrcade. They work a match and then they go with a gimmick match for the rematch at Superbrawl VIII. Six months worth of booking possibilities, instead this feud wrapped up in November. Onto the match and the entrances are pretty good with Hennig stealing one of Flairís robes and cutting off the sleeves. Flair brought a lot of aggression to the match while Hennig focused on the head/neck of Flair, to play up the injury The Nature Boy sustained at Fall Brawl. Even though the wrestlers are putting in a lot of effort, the commentators still canít shut up about Hogan. Seriously? This is a major match that has a backstory attached to it and it even features the nWo, but WCW still canít give up on hyping whether or not Hogan will wrestle tonight? The final minutes of the match is where the actual match begins to suffer once the US Title is brought into the ring. Time after time, the commentators inquire as to why the referee doesnít remove the title from the ring, the most they talked about any one non-Hogan issue in the match, yet the referee never does. Thereís a botched Flair suplex where Hennig missed landing on the title. Flair would trap Hennig in a tree of woe and lay the title against Hennigís face to begin kicking at the title/face to draw the lame DQ finish. They had my interest up until that finish. This would set-up an underwhelming No DQ match at World War 3 to wrap up the program far too quickly. ** Ĺ

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall w/Syxx
    Larry Zbyszko is your special guest referee. Back at Clash of the Champions 35, Hall pinned Luger in a tag match with DDP and Randy Savage after DDP was blinded and accidentally gave Luger the Diamond Cutter. In a tag team rematch at Fall Brawl, Zbyszko distracted Hall to allow Luger to get the pinfall. Although I do like the idea of having a rubber match being contested as a singles match, I donít understand the logic of Zbyszko being the guest referee. I think it would have made a bit more sense had Zbyszko been the special guest referee at Fall Brawl instead. I had a good laugh early on in the match after Schiavone goes off on Dusty for daring to claim that this bout has gotten off to a slow start. As Schiavone is ranting, Hall is literally just killing time with a rest hold, despite the fact that weíre only a minute or two into it. Once again, since I tend to skip the segments between the matches, I apparently missed the news that Hogan has been forced to wrestle tonight. Now, youíd think that would cause the commentators to shut up about him now, but it only allows them to slightly vary their Hogan talk. This dull match had nothing going for it until Eric Bischoff ran down. That allowed for some interactions with Zbyszko, allowing for Syxx to sneak in and botch a kick to Luger. Hall would hit the Outsidersí Edge to seemingly get the pinfall. Eventually, Zbyszko orders to see a replay, witnesses the botched kick and orders that the match must continue. In a repeat of Fall Brawl, Zbyszko shoves Hall into Luger, this time allowing Luger to just pick Hall up for the Torture Rack with Zbyszko immediately calling for the bell just as Syxx jumps back into the ring to attack Luger. So, I guess Luger won by submission? Or did he win by disqualification? The commentators have no idea. Iím hardly a Luger fan during this time period, but WCW is completely wasting him being the guy used just to set-up a couple of future PPV matches featuring Larry fín Zbyszko. Even though this is a match that feels like it should matter as itís one of nWoís top guys against one of WCWís top guys, itís very clearly just filler for Zbyszkoís push. * ĺ

After the match, Hall, Bischoff, and Syxx gets in some shots on Zbyszko until Zbyszko traps Syxx in a couple of submission holds. Considering how roughly Zbyszko was cranking at Syxxís neck, Iím actually wondering if this is where Syxx broke his neck.

Randy Savage w/Elizabeth vs DDP - Las Vegas Sudden Death Match
    WCWís feud of the year is finally ready to be wrapped up. This would be the match debut of DDP wearing jeans, something he kept for several months. This match was a mixture of some great stuff and some typical WCW awfulness. In general, the match is quite entertaining. Both guys brought the hatred, making this feel like a grudge match. Thereís fighting in the ring, out of it, and in the crowd. I even liked Elizabeth getting more involved than normal, even knocking the referee out with a serving platter to prevent the ref from counting out Savage in this last man standing match. That brought out Kimberly to fight Elizabeth to the back. Time after time, DDP kept getting screwed over, but it was okay because clearly DDP would go over and it will be this huge moment, right? Page kept returning to his feet after a couple of Savage elbow drops to add to the drama. Just as Iím prepared to claim that this was WCWís biggest success of 1997, the fake Sting came out. Itís the same thing that WCW did a million times around this time period with someone wearing a plastic Sting mask and a big wig. The fake Sting hits DDP on the outside, to keep DDP from getting back to his feet, allowing Savage to win. Schiavone wasnít as bad as he normally is with these fake Stings. Even though he claimed it was the real Sting when the fake Sting came out, he dismissed that itís the real Sting after he attacked DDP since clearly DDP and Sting are friends now. Seriously, itís a guy in a plastic Sting mask and a bad wig. I canít imagine thereís a single fan that takes one look at the fake Sting and canít realize that itís a fraud. I hate it. I also found it really disappointing that DDP didnít win. They were so ready to create a new WCW World Champion worthy wrestler, but WCW couldnít be bothered to do the logical thing, instead itís just yet another nWo victory. Despite my issues and annoyances, this was quite good though. *** Ĺ

Hollywood Hogan © vs Roddy Piper - Cage Match - Non-Title
    I actually feel a bit bad for WCW. Since this cage match is taking place later in the month as WWEís PPV cage match offering of the first HIAC match, this feels like a ripoff or at least trying to piggyback on WWEís success. Yet, you could make an argument that the opposite is true. Although WCW is only referring to this as a cage match, theyíre using the old Thundercage, WCWís version of a HIAC that they had been using as far back as 1989 with it being used at Halloween Havoc 1989, Superbrawl IV, and most notably Halloween Havoc 1991ís Chamber of Horrors match. Although this match did obviously take place after HIAC, Iím not entirely sure which match was announced on TV first. Perhaps the biggest thing though is that WCW had been hyping the idea of a Hogan/Piper cage match for most of 1997, with the cage match even being Piperís prize if his team (Horsemen) won at Uncensored 1997. So while this match did take place after HIAC, it most certainly isnít a cheap response to WWEís HIAC. With my WCW defending out of the way, this match was trash. I donít even think they knew what the rules were. At one point they acted as if it had escape rules, but after Hogan is shoved out of the cage by Piper, the match kept going on. If the match did suffer from coming in the aftermath of HIAC, itís the very poor decision to have Piper and Hogan climb to the very top of this huge Thundercage. Considering the big fall by Michaels in that HIAC match, seeing Piper and Hogan climb way up and obviously not take any bumps made it feel all the more dull. Piper did bring some good intensity, often just wanting to bite Hogan like some rabid animal. The awfulness did continue with the arrival of a fake Sting, the arrival of a second fake Sting, the arrival of a third fake Sting, the arrival of a fourth fake Sting, and the arrival of one or two additional fake Stings. Once again, Schiavone has no idea which is the real Sting even though literally everyone of these fake Stings are wearing the plastic Sting masks and with the exception of one that has long wet hair, everyone is wearing bad wigs. Youíre WCW, you waste millions of dollars each year. Why couldnít they just spend a bit of money, scouring the indies, looking for guys who somewhat resemble Sting so that the fake Stings can actually not be so obviously fake looking? The purpose of the fake Stings is irrelevant though. One of them sorta prevents Hogan from running away when Hogan and Piper were on the outside and also stopped Hogan from climbing down from the cage, but the fake Sting didnít actually do anything. Hogan was just apparently too scared to go close to him. Which brings up another issue with the fake Stings. The nWo has used so many fake Stings over the past year. Are you telling me that Hollywood fín Hogan canít spot a fake Sting?! Later in the match, the escape rules get forgotten in favor of the referee entering the cage and weíre treated to a traditional pinfall/submission based match. Hoganís unable to get the pinfall after a leg drop. Randy Savage runs out for a repeat of Superbrawl VII, with his attempt of helping Hogan win. The biggest spot of the match came with Savage diving off of the cage (What an incredibly dangerous act) for a double ax handle shot to Piper, but Piper moved out of the way, causing Hogan to be hit. Piper would then slap on the sleeper and would get the victory over Hogan. This old man rage in the cage made WCW feel so dated as compared to the refreshing new take on cage matches that the WWE presented earlier in the month. All of the fake Stings is such a tired and repetitive act by WCW and theyíre never believable. Perhaps the biggest issue of all is that hereís Hogan losing yet again. He lost so often in 1997 that as much as I love to complain about Hogan not doing the job in WCW, this is one of the times where he absolutely should have won to put all of the attention of a Hogan loss at Starrcade against Sting. Much like at Starrcade, Piper gets a huge win over Hogan, but it doesnít mean anything as Hoganís title isnít on the line. *

After the match, a clusterfuck segment occurs with a fake Sting being attacked by Hogan, Savage, and Eric Bischoff. A ďfanĒ jumps the steel railing and climbs over the cage to be stopped by the fake Sting, but then attacked by the nWo. Weíre supposed to believe that itís a real fan, as evident by the fake Sting holding the fan back when itís the same fake Sting that Hogan had already beat up. However, the cameraman just happened to capture the fake fan jumping the railing and climbing the cage and Hogan noticeably threw worked punches. So what was the point of introducing a plant for Hogan to attack? I have no idea. During all of this, Piper is handcuffed to the cage and gets pummeled by the nWo without anyone from WCW running out for the save. Whereís DDP? Whereís Lex Luger? Whereís Ric Flair? WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN WHEN THE nWo ATTACKS A WCW WRESTLER?!

Overall
    Iíll just start with the positives. Halloween Havoc 1997 comes across as a major show from 1997. It features two of the biggest feuds of the nWo era wrapping up with the third match in the two three match PPV series. While Piper/Hogan werenít a good series of matches, DDP/Savage was pretty great. While the star ratings for the three DDP/Savage matches (*** Ĺ for Spring Stampede/Havoc and *** ľ for Great American Bash) may not seem too impressive, it certainly is when you take into consideration that this was a WCW main event program. Compare that quality to the series of matches that Hogan had against Piper, The Giant, or Sting. I do wish the program would have wrapped up with DDP going over, but for WCW, itís a massive success. From a quality standpoint, the biggest positive of Halloween Havoc Ď97 is that it features the very best WCW match of the Monday Night Wars. Sure, Mysterio/Guerrero didnít actually mean anything to WCW, but it still managed to succeed in such a tremendous way. It ended up telling a great story, most of which I doubt WCW even realized they were telling. Ultimo Dragon vs Yuji Nagata was also pretty good. The bad news is that this PPV did feature some typical WCW awfulness. The main event of Piper/Hogan was a giant dud. A Television Championship match was booked where the champion couldnít actually be physically involved. A seemingly big match with Luger/Hall was nothing more than a means to advance an angle featuring a commentator. And yet, my biggest complaint about the show was the commentators inability shut up about Hollywood Hogan, and whether or not he will compete in the main event, and just focus on calling the action. Overall, Halloween Havoc 97 is a mixed bag and considering how much I typically suffer when watching a nWo era PPV/Clash, a mixed bag is actually an above average show.

Spoiler:

Iíve now officially watched/reviewed every nWo era PPV/Clash, meaning I never have to watch that shit ever again. Fuck WCW.

Spoiler:

Still two more WCW PPVs to go though.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WCW Halloween Havoc 1997 Review

I actually watched this recently after listening to a podcast to a play by play. I loved Nagata/Dragon. Good opener.

The finish to Mongo/Wright is hilariously bad.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Sweet Meat

Status

The Charles/Debra thing was partially and mostly because Debra blew the spot. She didn't distract him, he had to just look at her awkwardly, chase her while she turned the corner, and basically make her do what she had to do. Its so funny to watch

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    The Charles/Debra thing was partially and mostly because Debra blew the spot. She didn't distract him, he had to just look at her awkwardly, chase her while she turned the corner, and basically make her do what she had to do. Its so funny to watch
    Yep, that sounds entirely plausible.

Status

The whole Mongo thing always was so weird to me. I do get he was a big name in football, but holy shit at this point he was 40 years old. I know the guy was trying so hard, but everything was just so bad with him.

I get Jericho and Alex Wright were both faces, and they already fought on PPV a few months earlier, but I'd rather still see that match again.

If Alex Wright wasn't given that shitty gimmick would he have gotten over more?

His wrestling always seemed pretty solid to me.

BTB Legend

Status

Notes

Chris Jericho vs. Gedo

The idea was to later bring in Jado and Hiromichi Fuyuki, and they and Gedo would be an undercard heel trio. The three had been together as a unit for a few years in Japan, mainly in WAR. I donít remember why the idea never panned out, but I imagine it had something to do with the three not wanting to leave Japan.

Eddie Guerrero © vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. - WCW Cruiserweight Title

The original finish to this was Guerrero winning and Rey losing his mask. Rey was very unhappy about it and didnít want to unmask, but Eric Bischoff was adamant and told Rey that if he didnít lose the match he would be fired. At some point that day, not long before the event actually started, Eric agreed to change the finish, but only if Rey promised to lose his mask at a later date.

For some reason, Bischoff was intent on unmasking all of the luchadores, not just Rey. He had no understanding of the importance of masks with Mexican wrestlers, and never seemed to be interested in finding out.

Disco Inferno © vs. Jacqueline - Non-Title Match

Disco was supposed to put Jacqueline over earlier in the year, but refused and was fired over it. He was obviously brought back, but a condition of being brought back was putting Jacqueline over.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Character Jobber

Status

Forget WCW Match of the Year, Rey vs Eddie was one of the best matches in WCW history, and the Savage vs DDP feud was the best thing Savage did in WCW.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    Forget WCW Match of the Year, Rey vs Eddie was one of the best matches in WCW history,
    It's certainly up there. I'm sure it's a top ten match.

the Savage vs DDP feud was the best thing Savage did in WCW.
    While I think the Flair/Savage matches were better, the DDP feud was more productive in helping the company out in creating a new guy capable of main eventing. Although, the Flair/Savage feud does get points for playing a gigantic role in WCW finally making money.

Thread Information