Thread: NXT TakeOver: London Review

NXT Takeover Special NXT TakeOver: London Review

NXT TakeOver: London
    December 16, 2015

Triple H opens the show to welcome everyone to another NXT TakeOver. Apparently, just days earlier, Roman Reigns injured Triple H, but gosh darn it, it’s a NXT TakeOver. You can’t have a TakeOver without Hunter hogging some of the spotlight!

Asuka vs Emma w/Dana Brooke
    I don’t know what her Emmalina character will be like, but I really dug this heel character Emma had. She has the in ring talent, but her original goofy babyface character was just death for her. Here, she could actually show off her abilities and wouldn’t have a lame character holding her back. With the exception of the end, this was a mostly storyless match with back and forth action to allow Emma to actually look as if she was in Asuka’s league. Asuka’s great when she’s kicking ass, but when she’s selling, I can’t say I care. It’s not even that Asuka is a bad seller either. Her appeal for me is seeing her kick ass. I don’t want to see her do anything else. The end sequence came off as pretty clunky. First you had a ref bump that I wasn’t a fan of at all. I get that he’s just a referee in the WWE Universe, but couldn’t NXT have picked a different referee to be knocked out by two women backing into him than Drake “I used to be a death match wrestler” Younger? Dana finally tried to interfere in the match to tease the screw job, erasing my previous thought that she was out there for no reason. All of that fails though and Emma is trapped in the Asuka Lock for a second time and forced to submit. A good match, but with a little more experience together, I imagine they’d be capable of having a great one. *** ¼

Dash and Dawson © vs Enzo Amore and Big Cass w/Carmella - NXT Tag Titles
    I realize they’re a very popular act and I’m not suggesting they should stop it, but in the few times I’ve seen Enzo and Cass wrestle, I’m taken aback by how crazy long their pre-match talking goes on for. It reminds me some of the Dudley Boyz in ECW and how you knew you had plenty of time to grab some snacks or hit the bathroom when they come out without missing any of their match. (November 2017 Jim here, everything prior to this was typed up in December 2016, present day Jim finishes out this review). Thanks to my WWE UK and PROGRESS watching, I’ve fallen in love with British wrestling crowds and this one at TakeOver stands out again. The crowd is red hot and frequently chanting different things for the babyfaces. The story here involved Enzo playing the face-in-peril while the Revival slowly worked him over. The Enzo/Cass team were sorta ideal in that Enzo could take a great beating and Cass knew hot to clear house with the hot tag. The Revival were the clear stars here though. They’re really good in particular when you realize that they’re opponents aren’t anything special. A Rocket Launcher from the challengers led to a nearfall before one of the members of the Revival pulled Enzo off of the cover. If it wasn’t for the fact that The Revival ended up being an amazing team, I would actually say NXT made a mistake not going for this feel good moment of Enzo/Cass winning the belts because the crowd was really into it. Despite seemingly having the match won moments earlier, everything goes downhill quickly for the challengers and Enzo is sent off of the top rope into a Shatter Machine to give the Revival the victory. At this point in time, this would be the best NXT Tag Titles match on a TakeOver. Considering how frankly underwhelming the title matches were at TakeOver, the emergence of The Revival as the top NXT tag act signified the change in the division to allow for far greater expectations that continue to this day. *** ¼

Baron Corbin vs Apollo Crews
    Ugh. One of the problems in going back to try and catch up on these TakeOvers is that I’m not quite done watching Baron Corbin matches. Corbin: “How do you feel?! This is my house! You can go back home!” Uhh, I don’t know how to break this to you, Corbin, but you’re in England. Neither one of you are home. This may be the first time I’ve ever looked at a match and wished that one of the competing wrestlers would just switch places with the referee (Drake Younger), since the alternative match (Younger vs Crews) sounds way more interesting. Crews was forced to fight from behind in this match after taking a brutal bump over the top rope to the stairs. It’s a great sell as Crews was able to protect himself by getting his hands in front of his face, but it made such a thunderous sound. Corbin’s offense isn’t very interesting, even falling on his ass at one point. Corbin: “Go back to Ring of Honor!” I feel like that inaccurate shout would be far more effective if you believed Corbin knew Crews had never worked for ROH, but he’s purposely just being a dick. Crews slowly made a comeback, impressing the crowd with some of his spots including a standing moonsault for the nearfall. The end saw Corbin counter a sitdown powerbomb attempt by Crews into an End of Days for the victory. I believe this marks my last Corbin TakeOver match, so at least something good came out of this. Corbin would be far more effective if he was just a Diesel-like bodyguard for someone. Let him hit his awesome looking Deep Six behind the ref’s back and that’s it. ** ½

Bayley © vs Nia Jax - NXT Women’s Title
    I don’t “Get” the Jax character. It seems like the WWE tries to make her into both a monster and a typical feminine women’s wrestler, but the combo of the two lessens both. By showcasing her looks, you take away from her monster attributes. By having her act like a monster, you’re causing viewers to not notice her beauty. Pick one. Ideally, the monster because good looking WWE women wrestlers are a dime a dozen. Being a beast of a monster is far more unique. The same problem existed with Chyna once the WWE began focusing more on her looks. Chyna lost a bit of her specialness once she became just another normal woman wrestler. With that out of the way, this was shockingly great. Like, even if Jax has a long career, I have a difficult time believing that she will ever be able to have a superior match. It’s your classic Sting vs Vader sort of match with Jax destroying Bayley and Bayley forced to switch up from her typical style. For Bayley, it’s all about using her speed to try and strike without being caught by Jax. Knowing that her moveset would be greatly limited against the far more powerful Jax, Bayley essentially decided to ditch her entire moveset and instead just focus on...guillotine choke~! Bayley keeps going back to the choke time after time. If this was your first time seeing a Bayley match, you would think that she only knows how to perform a single hold. Yet, it helps tell this great story as Bayley’s getting her ass kicked, but she refuses to stop trying to survive with the choke. It’s with that persistence that Bayley finally forces Jax to tap out to the choke. I can honestly see this match becoming more and more entertaining to me with each additional watch. *** ½

Finn Balor © vs Samoa Joe - NXT Title
    Well, Balor’s Jack the Ripper entrance sure was...unique. Had he just been decked out as Jack the Ripper, I think it would have been fine, but seeing the Demon wearing the Jack the Ripper getup made it look goofy. It also made me wonder how many years have to pass before you can dress as a serial killer without it coming across as being insensitive. Like, will we one day, many many years from now witness Balor’s retirement match at Wrestlemania in Boston while the Demon is dressed as the Boston Marathon Bomber? Despite the wacky entrance, this was GREAT. I’ll go as far to say that this is my favorite NXT Title match on any TakeOver that I’ve seen so far. The majority of the match was just Joe destroying Balor. Not quite the same thing as Jax/Bayley as Bayley was getting in offense throughout the match, she just clearly wasn’t in control. A big part of Balor’s difficulty with Joe is that Joe kept blocking so many of Balor’s kicks. Once Balor made his comeback, it was time for some impressive spots including a dive to the outside and a double stomp from the top rope onto a bent over Joe. Yet, Joe was still in block mode and Balor struggled to keep the momentum. The whole idea from there became a matter of Balor just pounding away at Joe until Joe became too exhausted to remain in control. However, the outcome was still entirely uncertain as Joe kept going for the Muscle Buster, including from the middle rope. Finally though, Balor was able to knock Joe off of the middle rope and hit the Coup de Grâce to beat Joe. A hell of a title defense for Balor and despite losing, I can’t say Joe looked bad. Rather than coming out looking like the victor, Balor merely survived and was lucky to remain champion. A hell of a match. **** ¼

Overall
    Well, this was an easily enjoyable event. The main event delivered one of the better NXT TakeOver matches ever. The women’s title match greatly exceeded expectations. The Revival got a good match out of Enzo/Cass to signify the dawning of a new hot period for NXT tag wrestling. Asuka produced an even better match than at her first TakeOver event. The only blemish on this TakeOver was the Corbin/Crews match. The match didn’t look good on paper and unlike Bayley/Jax, it didn’t manage to beat out expectations. Still, even that match wasn’t actually bad.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: NXT TakeOver: London Review

Probably the best Balor/Joe match of the three or four and perhaps Balor’s best match as NXT Champion. The Jack The Ripper shit was lame and it got lamer with the chainsaw at Dallas too.

This was when I started to realize that the Revival fucking rule.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    The Jack The Ripper shit was lame and it got lamer with the chainsaw at Dallas too.
    There seems to be a very thin line between having an over the top, but cool looking entrance and then having an entrance so over the top that it's just flat out cheesy. The normal Demon entrance, many of the Undertaker's special entrances, HBK at WM 25, were all cool. The Demon at TakeOver: London, Will Ospreay at PROGRESS when he faced Jimmy Havoc, and pretty much every special Triple H WM entrance were all pretty lame. In defense of those cheesy entrances, until you try it out in front of an audience, you won't fully know if it will succeed or fail.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The normal Demon entrance, many of the Undertaker's special entrances, HBK at WM 25, were all cool.
    what

That Ospreay one might be the worst one ever.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

Funny enough, one of Corbin's best main roster matches would be with Crews on a kickoff show.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    England

I like to think the Corbin ROH line was in character (because it's a funny line), but that becomes cloudy when I remember how much of his character is essentially just Baron in everyday life.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Was Apollo Crews in ROH? Funny either way though.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Was Apollo Crews in ROH? Funny either way though.
    No.

His most notable US indy was probably DGUSA/Evolve.
    -------
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    No.

His most notable US indy was probably DGUSA/Evolve.
    That makes it more funny then.

I never really saw Crews in anything other then PWG.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Corbin making the point he arrived in NXT under different circumstances to the path the majority take and hating on indy guys was a big part of his character. I think that was probably something discussed before the match and I 100% believe Corbin knew Crews wasn't apart of Ring of Honor and that's the rib that Corbin in kayfabe has an inaccurate understanding of who everyone else is on the roster. If he had said 'go back to Dragon Gate' how much of a dork would Corbin of looked pretending he doesn't care about anything other than his own career in NXT, but knows exactly which niche puro promotion Crews worked for before signing to WWE.

I liked both women's matches a smidge more than you did Jim, but I wasn't as high on Joe/Balor. The SJW's on twitter had a field day with THE DEMON Finn Balor thinking Jack The Ripper was a cool thing to dress up as.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Corbin making the point he arrived in NXT under different circumstances to the path the majority take and hating on indy guys was a big part of his character. I think that was probably something discussed before the match and I 100% believe Corbin knew Crews wasn't apart of Ring of Honor and that's the rib that Corbin in kayfabe has an inaccurate understanding of who everyone else is on the roster. If he had said 'go back to Dragon Gate' how much of a dork would Corbin of looked pretending he doesn't care about anything other than his own career in NXT, but knows exactly which niche puro promotion Crews worked for before signing to WWE.
    I didn't think it was necessary to state which company Crews should go back to. A blanket statement of "Go back to the indies/minor leagues" or a more simplistic "You don't deserve to be in the big leagues" would have fit just fine.

Sweet Meat

Status

But saying Ring of Honor makes it 100x funnier

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I didn't think it was necessary to state which company Crews should go back to. A blanket statement of "Go back to the indies/minor leagues" or a more simplistic "You don't deserve to be in the big leagues" would have fit just fine.
    Pretty sure he had just that against Samoa Joe. But still saying ROH is what made it more funny.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    But saying Ring of Honor makes it 100x funnier
    This.

saying minor leagues or Indies would of got Corbin all the buzz of a dead bumblebee. The ROH line is the only thing people remember from this match

Thread Information