Thread: NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III Review

NXT Takeover Special NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III Review

NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III
    August 19, 2017

Johnny Gargano vs Andrade Almas w/Zelina Vega
    On paper, this seems like a torturous match to me as I’ve never been high on Gargano and felt La Sombra was vastly overrated. But I have to admit, this was pretty good. Undoubtedly, the star of this match was the Brooklyn crowd. They were just so hot. I realize Brooklyn is a bit of a special place for NXT, but if the crowd is always going to be this hot, NXT should position their annual pre-Summerslam TakeOver: Brooklyn event as their version of Wrestlemania. It’s pretty back and forth with the crowd’s interest causing me to get more invested into this match the longer it went on. Based on their reactions, you would think that you were watching some legendary match. I loved the ending with Gargano seemingly having the match won, but Vega threw in an old DIY t-shirt to Gargano, briefly distracting him, allowing for Almas to attack. Almas would pin Gargano following a hammerlock DDT. This match didn’t change my views on Gargano or Gargano, but I love this Brooklyn crowd so much. A hot opener. *** ½

Authors of Pain (c) w/Paul Ellering vs Sanity w/Killian Dain and Nikki Cross - NXT Tag Titles
    So, is this supposed to be heel vs heel or is this supposed to be heel vs babyface? My impression is that AoP were supposed to be the babyfaces of the match. However, Sanity wrestled as if they were babyfaces due to the face that Wolfe is a natural babyface and it’s always a babyface move whenever a woman attacks a man, like what happens here with Cross. Regardless of what I’m supposed to think, this was extremely fun. There was a fun twist with Sanity revealing that Young would be Wolfe’s partner, despite Dain being on the apron up until the first tag. Everyone ends up getting involved including Ellering and the rest of Sanity. The crowd is into everything. Sanity is such a weird group in that they’re very effective in having a heel aura, but they wrestle so well as babyfaces. AoP knows exactly how to appeal to me, wrestling similarly to the Faces of Fear, even busting out a tag team move involving a back bodydrop into a spot. While the Faces of Fear did a back bodydrop into a powerbomb (Legitimately, maybe my second favorite tag move ever), AoP busted out a back bodydrop into a Dominator. The finish saw one member of AoP (Still haven’t figured out which is which) destroyed on the outside while the other is defeated with a double team spot of a double team version of Young’s finisher, the wheelbarrow neckbreaker to crown NEW NXT Tag Champions. A hell of a fun tag match. A part of me is disappointing that Dain wasn’t officially in this match though. *** ¾

After the match, ReDRagon shows up for the first time together on NXT and attacks both teams. Young is laid out with a Chasing the Dragon.

Aleister Black vs Hideo Itami
    All I know about this backstory is that Itami is now a heel after his failure to win the NXT Title at NXT TakeOver: Chicago. Although there wasn’t much of a story here, this was extremely fun. It was all about a back and forth sort of action. Itami tried to get over his new heel gimmick by constantly screaming about wanting respect. At various points, both men looked as if they had the match won. It ended up being Black connecting with his finisher, Black Mass, to score the pinfall victory over Itami. I have to admit, even though Tommy End seems like an awesome wrestler with the limited matches I’ve seen from him, Black Mass seems like such a weak finisher considering it’s the sort of movie I saw RVD hit in every match. This felt like the sort of match that didn’t actually mean anything, but was still quite good. *** ½

Asuka (c) vs Ember Moon - NXT Women's Title
    Right away, the biggest advantage this match had over the Women’s Title match at TakeOver: Chicago is that Ember actually came across as someone that could beat Asuka. I have to admit, I’m quite impressed in how the match was able to con the fans into believing that we were witnessing the finish, with Moon winning, not once, but multiple times in the match. It helped create an excitement about this match. With this being my first time seeing Moon, I’m not sure if I’m just thinking that she’s a great worker or if Asuka is so good that she makes anyone she works with look far better than they actually are. Besides having a big match feel to this encounter, the intensity helped keep my interest. Especially knowing about Asuka’s injury, I suspect there will be a lot of debate for years to come whether or not WWE made the right choice in making Asuka force Moon to tap out to the Asuka Lock to retain the title. *** ½

Bobby Roode (c) vs Drew McIntyre - NXT Title
    This would be the first time I’m seeing McIntyre since his WWE return. Although I don’t believe I watched any of his TNA work, I did like what I saw from Galloway’s work on the indies. It became noticeable right away that the big difference between the original WWE run McIntyre and bearded return McIntyre is that he now works as a big man. It’s a nice addition to his character, adding an aggression that was missing from him. I hate to admit this, but I didn’t find the match to be anything special. Both men worked hard, but they went over twenty-two minutes and they just didn’t have enough interesting stuff for such a lengthy match. The result is that it felt a lot longer than it actually was. The crowd was hot and really started to get into it near the end when it did improve. Considering I just saw the Roode/Itami match where Roode needed to hit rolling pair of Glorious DDTs to get the victory, I loved the finish with Roode attempting that once again here, but McIntyre countered the second Glorious DDT with a Claymore Kick to score the pinfall to become the NEW NXT Champion. ***

After the match, ReDRagon show up on the apron, distracting the new NXT Champion. That allows for the surprise debut of Adam Cole, attacking McIntyre. Cole and ReDRagon lay McIntyre out and stand tall as the show goes off of the air.

Overall
    The latest NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn delivers another big event where the crowd and the atmosphere pushes the show into feeling like a bigger deal than the other TakeOvers. With two new champions crowned, the final NXT match of Asuka (Although we didn’t know it at time), and the surprise debut of Adam Cole/Creation of The Undisputed ERA (Or is it just The Undisputed?) makes for a really important TakeOver. Much like the original TakeOver: Brooklyn, I won’t say there’s any truly great matches (Especially compared to TakeOver: Chicago), but everything was good. With the exception of the main event, every match was quite good, undoubtedly helped by such a rocking crowd. As expected, TakeOver was the superior WWE event of Summerslam 2017 weekend.

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III Review

Brooklyn pretty much is accepted as their big show. Sanity/Authors both went in heels but obviously Sanity worked babies and have been chaotic babies since, so this match was their turn basically.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    Brooklyn pretty much is accepted as their big show. Sanity/Authors both went in heels but obviously Sanity worked babies and have been chaotic babies since, so this match was their turn basically.
    So is Roderick Strong now a heel since he's teaming with AoP at War Games?

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    So is Roderick Strong now a heel since he's teaming with AoP at War Games?
    Nope. That's a bit more grey. Authors have been gone since the post match attack. They came back to get their titles, which invading heels UE ruined and they then attacked both teams. Authors/Roderick is a team by necessity due to being outnumbered by both sides. Roddy's definitely a baby though, the most baby of all the people involved. He refused to join Undisputed Era and helped the Authors from a beat down. A lot of people think Authors are called up after this, so who knows if they end up being babies long term or not.

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Let’s not forget that they also tried to work Sanity as the heels and AoP as the babies in the lead up and it totally backfired because Eric Young is apparently that over.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Let’s not forget that they also tried to work Sanity as the heels and AoP as the babies in the lead up and it totally backfired because Eric Young is apparently that over.
    I kinda always took it as heel/heel. Even with the barricade stuff.

Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    I kinda always took it as heel/heel. Even with the barricade stuff.
    The problem is you can’t do that type of segment in a heel versus heel feud because my first thought is “Well that was a very valiant and extremely babyface effort by AOP”. Makes no sense to do it if you’re not 100% sure the sympathy will stick.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

[Infinite Warfare]

Status
      Country                    UK

Gargano/Almas was one of my favourite matches of the year, won't win any MOTY awards or anything but it was a damn fun opener.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Thread Information