Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWA 1985: Eye of the Storm (TEW Diary)

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

AWA AWA 1985: Eye of the Storm (TEW Diary)

AWA

Eye of the Storm

People often wonder how the AWA managed to survive the various onslaughts of Vince McMahon's "Sports Entertainment" wrestling during the mid-to-late-1980's, the various steroid trials of the early 1990's, and of course the rise and fall of WCW during the late 1990's. The answer is one many people speculate: Verne Gagne starting to push young stars and the hiring of more varied acts, the wise behind-the-scenes business decisions that helped the company recover from financial disarray when various time slots were bought out from them by WWF, or it could have been the creative direction that was changed from "all substance and no style" to "some-style and mostly-substance". Perhaps it could have been the care taken to create and nurture proper women's and lightweight divisions, or the incredible strength of the tag team division throughout the mid-1980's to the mid-1990's.

In honesty, they were all true causes of the AWA surviving as long as it has, but they themselves were also effects of one major cataclysmic decision. That decision is one that can still be felt today, and even Vince McMahon himself shudders at the incredulous tenacity that this decision imbued upon the company that McMahon once thought as trash wrestling. What could have brought the American Wrestling Association from the beginning of a nigh-irreversable pratfall into the thriving and striving competition to WWE it is today? One thing: Verne Gagne giving me the book in 1984.

I know I know, you don't know me, and there's a perfectly good reason for that: I like to stay private. Who am I you ask? You may call me "Gentleman" John Smith. I used to be a wrestler, and a damn good one back in the 70's & 80's... I could have been AWA Champion dammit, but that's neither here nor there. By the time I got the book from Verne, I was retired; car crash crippled my legs something terrible and I couldn't work the way I used to... had to pack it up and stay backstage while others basked in the spotlight. This however, was a good opportunity for me though, as I stayed in back, I got in Verne's good graces. While big stars and company men like Hulk Hogan, Gene Okerlund, and Bobby Heenan ran off for the big bucks in New York, I stayed by Verne's side out of loyalty. In return, he made me co-booker with his kid Greg in November 1984, and head booker in December that year.

The first decision I wanted to make was to build some new stars. Some of AWA's top stars at the time were names of yester-year... Sgt. Slaughter? Bob Backlund!? A 50-year-old Nick Bockwinkel!?!? This was unnacceptable! The only real young talent in the Main Event was Rick Martel, and he had been the AWA Champion since the year before. I needed to make some new talent quickly; unfortunately, the rest of the roster was about as aged as the Main Event scene... the only real hope I could have was with this kid: Curt Hennig. Now he was someone I could build the future of wrestling with... but the rest of the roster were either old enough to be my dad or untalented hacks who got a job because they were trained by Gagne.

Verne had to swallow his pride on this one, we had a nice long debate over the topic of young talent. I wanted to take the belt off Martel as soon as I could create a new star, but he wouldn't budge. Eventually it got so heated he blurted out "You can hire and book all the jackasses you want here, but you're not taking that belt off Martel until I say so." Bingo. Those were the magic words I was looking for. With a grin and a handshake, I got what I really wanted: hiring power. Now, of course Verne would prefer a certain type of wrestler, but I got the okay to bring in new talent. First order of business: Get young talent... I had a pretty good idea where to look too...

Roster (January 1985)

Spoiler:

Main Eventers:

Bob Backlund (Face)
    King Kong Brody [Bruiser Brody] (Heel)
    Larry Zbyszko (Heel)
    Nick Bockwinkel (Heel)
    Randy Savage (Heel)
    Rick Martel (Face)
    Sgt. Slaughter (Face)

Upper Midcarders:

Baron Von Raschke (Face)
    Jim Brunzell (Face)
    Jimmy Garvin (Heel)
    Road Warrior Animal (Heel)
    Road Warrior Hawk (Heel)
    The Masked Superstar (Heel)

Midcarders:

Brad Rheingans (Face)
    Curt Hennig (Face)
    Greg Gagne (Face)
    Jake Roberts (Heel)
    John Nord (Face)
    Jerry Blackwell (Face)
    Masa Saito (Heel)
    Stan Lane (Face)
    Steve Keirn (Face)
    Steve Regal (Heel)

Lower Midcarders:

Davey Boy Smith (Face)
    Dynamite Kid (Face)
    Rick Rude (Heel)
    Tom Zenk (Face)
    Tommy Rogers (Face)

Opener:

Bobby Eaton (Heel)
    Bobby Fulton (Face)
    Dennis Condry (Heel)
    Rick Steiner (Heel)

Enhancement Talent:

Dean Malenko (Heel)
    Jake Milliman (Face)
    Joe Malenko (Heel)
    Steve Olsonoski (Face)
    Tom Stone (Heel)

Women's Division:

Candi Devine (Face)
    Kat LeRoux (Heel)
    Linda Dallas (Heel)
    Madusa Miceli (Face)
    Misty Blue Simmes (Face)
    Susan Sexton (Heel)

Occasional Wrestler:

Chris Markoff (Heel)
    Larry Hennig (Face)
    The Crusher (Face)

Manager:

Paul Ellering (Heel)
    Precious (Heel)
    Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissey (Heel)
    Jim Cornette (Heel)

Announcer:

Rod Trongard

Referees:

Jim Mitchell
    Marty Miller

Authority Figure:

Wally Karbo (Face)

Personalities:

Barbara Clary
    Randy Hales

Road Agent:

John Smith (User Character)
    Verne Gagne

Tag Teams:

The British Bulldogs (Davey Boy Smith & Dynamite Kid)
    The Fabulous Ones (Steve Keirn & Stan Lane)
    The Fantastics (Bobby Fulton & Tommy Rogers
    The Hennigs (Larry & Curt Hennig) [Occasional]
    The High Flyers (Jim Brunzell & Greg Gagne)
    The Midnight Express (Dennis Condry & Bobby Eaton)
    The Nasty Girls (Kat LeRoux & Linda Dallas)
    The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal)

AWA Titles:

Spoiler:

AWA World Heavyweight Championship
    Current Holder: Rick Martel
    Previous Holder: Jumbo Tsuruta

AWA International Television Championship
    Current Holder: Curt Hennig
    Previous Holder: N/A (Championship Created)

AWA World Tag Team Championships
    Current Holder: The Road Warriors
    Previous Holder: The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke

AWA World Light Heavyweight Championship
    Current Holder: Steve Regal
    Previous Holder: Buck Zumhofe

AWA World Women's Championship
    Current Holder: Candi Devine
    Previous Holder: Vacant
    Last edited by Grim Barrows; 02-13-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Re: AWA 1985: Eye of the Storm (TEW Diary)

Anything that's different is usually something I appreciate. Seeing what AWA goes and potentially how Gagne continues to get along with John Smith really interests me. Looking forward especially to see the likes of Hennig, Regal and Steiner at this stage in their career... As well as the Road Warriors.

I'm excited for this, good luck.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Marshall Islands

Oh...OH...that is going to be very sweet, Grim. It's always great to see some fresh air going through the BTB section with themes like this. I'll definitely follow what you're about to bring us.

Also... #PushZenk

#GrimLove

Status

Thursday, Week 1, 1985
    Lawson Arena, Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Attendence: 3,006
    TV Rating: 0.41 (60,590 Viewers)

This was our first show to start off the year and unfortunately, we had to change networks last month after our syndication run ran out; Vince McMahon bought out the local syndication... Fortunately, we had a surplus of broadcasters willing to give us an offer, two of which Verne and I discussed was Sportschannel, decent sized broadcaster with access to several major cities in the country, and Telemundo Puerto Rico, one of the bigger "local" broadcasters in that area. We couldn't ever hope to swing prime time, but hey, 4 in the afternoon tape was certainly enough for me. Verne on the other hand was a damn hassle. "We gotta have prime time! we're a prime time wrestling company" he says all the time. Look, Verne, even you should know this is a marathon, not a sprint. We're nearly in the hole after making some key hirings, but I'll gladly take any broadcasters we can get, even if it continues to drive us further down the hole... It'll be worth it eventually.

During the pre-show, we had Sgt. Slaughter beat amateur wrestling afficianado Rick Steiner, The Fabulous Ones defeated jobbers Eric Embry & Tom Stone, and AWA Light-Heavyweight Champion Steve Regal defeated Jake Milliman.

Tommy Rogers & Bobby Fulton

vs.

AJ Petrucci & Doug Stahl

Our opening contest sees the debuting team of Tommy Rogers & Bobby Fulton (The Fantastics) go up against local jobbers AJ Petrucci and Doug Stahl. The match is quick and painless, but the crowd clearly didn't care much for the men inside the ring. The Fantastics won after Bobby Fulton pinned Stahl.

Result: The Fantastics win via Pinfall
    Rating: E+
    ANGLE

We go backstage to our interveiwer Larry Nelson, who is standing by with "Precious" Paul Ellering and The Road Warriors. He mentions that tonight Hawk & Animal will take on "Jumpin'" Jim Brunzell and Greg Gagne, respectively. Ellering states that it's a new year in the never-ending reign of "the greatest tag team on the planet today": The Road Warriors. He talks about Brunzell and Gagne and retorts that they're nothing and that the men from the mean streets of Chicago are gonna tear the two limb from limb.

Rating: C

Road Warrior Animal w/ Paul Ellering

vs.

"Jumpin" Jim Brunzell

Our second match of the evening saw a mismatch and clash of styles, as the hulking strongman Animal faced up against the high flying and agile Brunzell. Both men went back and forth throughout the match, with Animal taking advantage most of the match with his brute strength. Brunzell, however, is great at feigning comebacks enough that he nearly has the match won, but "Precious" Paul has other plans. He distracts the ref by getting on the apron long enough for Animal to rake the eyes of "Jumpin'" Jim and hit an Electric Chair Drop for the pin and a great victory to start the year.

Result: Road Warrior Animal wins via Pinfall
    ANGLE

We once again head backstage with Larry Nelson who stands beside a true veteran and former AWA World Champion, Nick Bockwinkel. Nelson mentions that tonight Bockwinkel's facing another wily veteran in that ring: the dreaded Baron Von Raschke. Bockwinkel uses his eloquent intellect to flaunt his perspicacity on Raschke, stating the two of them have been in the business a long time; they've been part of some brutal matches together, and tonight may not be any different. Bockwinkel warns Raschke, though, not to be mistaken, because like a true legend and like "the greatest champion ever" that he claims to be, he will win and work his way back to winning the AWA World Heavyweight Championship for a fourth time.

Curt Hennig

vs.

Masa Saito

Our next match would decide the inaugural holder of the AWA International Television Championship. In one corner, we have the second-generation superstar, Curt Hennig, and the foreign maniac, "Mr." Masa Saito. The two of them have been at each other's throats for months now, The hatred is palpable indeed. Throughout the match, Mr. Saito gains the advantage through... less than legal tactics, but Hennig keeps fighting his heart out for the honor of becoming a champion. Eventually, Saito botches an attempted dirty trick after going to the well one too many times and gets caught by the ref. He gets a stern warning but the argument with the ref is enough for Hennig to recover and he hits a beautiful Fisherman's Suplex to get the pinfall victory.

Result: Curt Hennig wins via Pinfall to become NEW AWA International Television Champion
    Rating: C-
    ANGLE

Following the match, Hennig is presented with the AWA International Television Championship, which he raises high above his head to a great reception from the crowd. Unfortunately, someone who is not happy to see Curt Hennig as a champion is the guy who just got beat by him: Mr. Saito. He jumps Hennig from behind and stomps his guts out before finally leaving the ring, but not without posing to the vitriolic crowd. Thanks for ruining a feel good moment, Saito...

Rating: D+

The Nasty Girls (Kat LeRoux & Linda Dallas)

vs.

Misty Blue Simmes & Candi Devine

Our only Women's Division match tonight sees the team of The Nasty Girls, whom clearly don't give a rat's patoot about anybody and everybody, going up against two beloved women: Misty Blue Simmes and the current AWA Women's Champion: Candi Devine. The following match is actually fairly good but standard tag team affair. Heel team beat the tar out of the champion Candi, holding them close to their area of the ring and constantly tagging out. However, one botched tag team move, and a hot tag later, and Misty Blue Simmes come rushing out to take care of business!!! Unfortunately, Kat LeRoux was more then ready with dirty tactics and got a school-girl pin in, and she got the three... thanks to some "creative" use of her feet and the ring ropes.

Result: The Nasty Girls win via Pinfall
    Greg Gagne

vs.

Road Warrior Hawk w/ Paul Ellering

Yet another match-up with a clash of styles, here we have Road Warrior Hawk going up against the son of the legendary Verne Gagne: Greg. To be frank, Hawk beats the ever-loving tar out of Gagne throughout most of the match, but Greg is a lot tougher than first thought to be believed, and he gets a second wind after Hawk whiffs an avalanche into the corner. Now we get to see Gagne fly! Wham Boom and Bam and Hawk is looking like he could let this one slip through his fingers! Not if Paul Ellering has anything to say about it, though. He... sneakily hands Hawk a roll of silver dollar coins (trust me when I say, Hawk could knock a man out without those), but Gagne was one step ahead!!! There's a duck, and a roll-up! 1! 2! 3! GAGNE BEAT HAWK!!!

Result:Greg Gagne wins via Pinfall

ANGLE

Following the upset victory, Hawk, "Precious" Paul, and Animal jump the ring and almost kill Gagne, but not before "Jumpin'" Jim Brunzell comes out to save his partner from the Road Warriors's brutal attack.

NON-TITLE MATCH
    AWA Champion
    Rick Martel

vs.

The Masked Superstar

Rick Martel makes it on the first show of the year in a non-title bout against The Masked Superstar. The two of them have a knock-down-drag-out brawl for much of it. Considering who is involved, it is incredibly back & forth. Martel hangs on during the particularly vicious beatdowns taken by the Superstar, and ultimately survives long enough to make the final comeback and hit his flying slingshot finisher, ending Superstar's attempts at pinning the champion!

Result: Rick Martel wins via Pinfall
    Rating: C+

ANGLE

Once again we return to our interviewer, Larry Nelson, who stands beside a true living legend, The Crusher, who has a big cigar lit up in his mouth. The "Man Who Made Milwaukee Famous" is rearing up to go one-on-one with Jimmy Garvin. Crusher says he's going to do what he does best, and that's kick ass and swill beer afterwards like a madman. He also mentions that he has no problem taking care of that "cow" of Garvin's, Precious, if she sticks her nose in the match.

Nick Bockwinkel

vs.

Baron Von Raschke

Our semi-main event of the evening is a clash of storied veterans; Bockwinkel and Raschke, although opponents, do respect each other, and they shake hands shortly before the match. Fortunately for Bockwinkel, that handshake gives him a good opening to get the early advantage, and he gives Baron a hard right almost immediately after the handshake. Throughout the match, Bockwinkel is using his "superior technique" to stomp out any chance that Raschke has of getting back into the thick of things. Raschke's much tougher than that though, and he can take it just as well as he can dish it out. The match ends when Bockwinkel locks on his Sleeper Hold and forces Raschke to relent and submit.

Results: Nick Bockwinkel wins via Submission

ANGLE

Back again with Larry Nelson, and this time he's got Larry Zbyszko, who takes the mic almost immediately before Nelson can say anything. He shoos Larry away to take the entire shot and starts laying into his opponent for tonight: Bob Backlund. He says that Backlund may be a former world champion, but "The Real Living Legend" is twice the wrestler Backlund wishes he was. Zbyszko goes over the history between him and the former WWF Champion, and says maybe Backlund's got the better of him in WWF, but in AWA, he's gonna show Backlund just how damn good he is and why he's "The Real Living Legend". Zbyszko states that when he's done beating Backlund, he'll turn his attention to Rick Martel, the AWA World Heavyweight Champion.

Rating: B-
    The Crusher

vs.

Jimmy Garvin w/ Precious

Our second to last match of the night sees the ultra-confident Jimmy Garvin come out with his beautiful valet: Precious. The Crusher wastes no time however, and he starts wailing into Garvin with some nasty looking haymakers. Nearly from bell to bell, Garvin is completely taken out of his element to the point that even his dirty tactics aren't working. Luckily for him, he has a "Plan C". The Crusher is ready to hit his famous Bolo Punch when Precious jumps up to distract the ref. True to his word though, "The Man Who Made Milwaukee Famous" sees her and grabs her to push her off the apron. This gives Garvin all the time he needs, before turning Crusher around and hitting him with brass knuckles that he "conveniently" had in his tights. Unfortunately the ref saw the whole damn thing and rang the bell is disqualify Garvin; he frankly doesn't care anymore, as he continues to lay a beat down on The Crusher, who's out cold and bleeding from the forehead.

Results: The Crusher wins via DQ

Bob Backlund

vs.

Larry Zbyszko

In our main event, and far and away the best match of the night, it's a back & forth affair between the technically crisp Backlund and equally talented Zbyszko. Both men have a lot to gain by winning this match, such as contention for the AWA World Championship, and it is never clearer how important it is than this. Unfortunately for both guys, they can't seem to keep each other down... which leads to both Backlund and Zbyszko taking it into the outside. It's been heated all match but now it seems it has turned into a "heat of the moment" brawl... leading to a double count-out to finish what was an excellent match thus far.

Results: Double Count-Out
    Rating: B
    SHOW RATING: B-

Well, for our first show of the year, I was pleasantly surprised with how well it went. Unfortunately, we lost money on the broadcast... not surprising though, we did switch to much smaller networks. We also debuted a couple new guys, such as "The Fantastics", Tommy Rogers & Bobby Fulton. There was also a use of some local guys who weren't busy, too, though they mostly jobbed. I'm hoping in the next week or two I can get all my new hires in and finally get a good roster of guys in. The real neglected area, unfortunately, is our Light Heavyweight championship... Only two guys really qualify for the championship, and that is Tom Zenk and Steve Regal. I need to fix that immediately... as for the Women's Division... tried hiring Vivian Vachon and Sherri Martel; no dice, Vince McMahon is on step ahead... jackass...

Probably the biggest news coming out of the show today is Curt Hennig being crowned the inaugural AWA International Television Champion. I'm sure Verne is sitting in his office pissing and moaning that somebody like Brad Rheingans isn't champion, but seriously... Curt, in my opinion at least, has it. Who knows how long he'll be holding it anyways, but I think he'll be a great champion. Consider this my little... test run on Hennig to see how he handles championship calibre matches.

AWA LIVE SHOW
    MINNESOTA SPORTS PAVILION
    MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA

Sgt. Slaughter vs. King Kong Brody

Non-Title Match
    The Road Warriors vs. The Fabulous Ones

Nick Bockwinkel vs. John Nord

Rick Martel & Bob Backlund vs. Larry Zbyszko & Jimmy Garvin

Non-Title Match
    Curt Hennig vs. ???
    Can You Guess Who ??? is?

Brad Rheingans vs. Masa Saito

AND MORE!

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

Curt Henning vs Saito in a Rematch ?

Pretty Solid Start
    A Few Things that struck me as a little odd
    Road Warriors should have destroyed Gagne & Brunzell
    Masked Superstar being pinned cleanly by Martel on TV
    Jimmy Garvin not winning cleanly against The Crusher

Positives

Henning, Bockwinkle, Zbysko & Backlund all looked good

BRAUUUUUUN

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm usually not one for BTBs that start before my birth, but just the structure of this is really fun to read. I'll be keeping my eye out!

"In Becky We Trust"

#GrimLove

Status

Friday, Week 1, 1985
    Minnesota Sports Pavilion, Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Attendence: 4,790
    TV Rating: N/A (Untelevised)

It's our weekly "house show" of sorts, here on Fridays. We don't usually televise these events, but we do have them on tape just in case. Never know when we can make money off of these in the future. It's also the show where we can do most of our business with new signees and such... such as the myriad of workers we've gotten since yesterday. Currently available are certain superstars who've been working on tour over in Japan. Lucky for us, we got them on tonight. Verne and I had a... well... heated discussion over these new hires. Well, needless to say, I talked him silly and got my way. Ol' Verne may be a pissed off old man, but I am the booker, and I am doing what I can to make sure Vince McMahon doesn't bury us under 6 feet of dirt.

In the pre-show tonight, we saw Tommy Rogers defeat jobber Tom Stone, Rick Steiner beat Bobby Fulton, Misty Blue Simmes pinned newly debuted Susan Sexton, The Masked Superstar beat jobber Jake Milliman, Tom Zenk defeated local jobber Lou Winston, and the newly debuted British Bulldogs defeated local jobbers Vinnie Valentino & Mean Mike.

Non-Title Match
    AWA International Television Champion
    Curt Hennig

vs.

Rick Rude

In our opening matchup of the night Curt Hennig goes up one on one with one of the many "new blood" that's been injected into the AWA, Rick Rude. Rude and Hennig have incredible chemistry against each other (not surprising considering they're best friends, shock to yo' kayfabe, bro!), even if the match is pretty short, with Rude getting a loss in what was a pretty good effort otherwise.

Results: Curt Hennig wins via Pinfall
    Rating D+
    ANGLE

We head backstage with interviewer Larry Nelson, who gets a chance to speak with AWA International Television Champion Curt Hennig. Hennig says that winning the championship last night was a great accolade thus far in his career and that he's honored to be the very first AWA International Television Championship. He changes his thoughts towards Mr. Saito shortly afterwards. He states that he and Saito have been at each other's throats for months now. He says that he's gonna give Saito a chance to finally put this blood feud to rest. "If you want a title shot, Saito, as far as I'm concerned, you've got it. I'll talk to the 'Championship Commitee' and get the match confirmed. I can't wait to knock you down to size and end it once and for all."

Brad Rheingans

vs.

Masa Saito

Our second match of the night sees perennial fan-favorite Brad Rheingans go up against Mr. Saito. In a quick match, we see Saito use his cunning to topple Rheingans. This match was mostly used to help give Saito momentum for his potential title match against blood rival, Curt Hennig.

Results: Mr. Saito wins via Pinfall
    ANGLE

Larry Nelson stands backstage and is joined by Sgt. Slaughter, who's set to go up against Sheik Adnan-Al-Kaissey's dreaded monster, King Kong Brody (known to the rest of the world as Bruiser Brody). He takes a moment to talk about "that piece of filth maggot" Adnan-Al-Kaissey, saying that ever since Slaughter's come to AWA, he's wanted to get his hands on Adnan and his ilk, "because this is America, the land of the free and home of the brave! When you talk down about America, you're talking down about the troops, and that is something that I cannot abide by." He then says that he can't wait to get his hands on Sheik Adnan, but to do so, he has to get past "one of the most dangerous and crazed people I've ever seen," King Kong Brody. He talks a little about Brody and how he intends to knock that madman down a peg and then Sheik will get what's coming to him.

Sgt. Slaughter

vs.

King Kong Brody w/ Sheik Adnan-Al-Kaissey

This match starts off like one big explosion, both men rushing towards each other with massive clubbing fists. Neither guy backs down throughout most of it, and by the midway point, Bruiser & Slaughter are bloodied up. The best way to explain this match would be one big brawl. Adnan stands by the side, clearly pleased with how brutal this thing is going. Eventually, Brody hits his finisher, the dreaded Jumping Knee Drop, for the pinfall victory. Shortly following the match, Brody was not finished and continued to brutalize Slaughter, with Adnan screaming obscenities in Arabic at Slaughter.

Results: King Kong Brody wins via Pinfall
    Nick Bockwinkel

vs.

John Nord

Nick Bockwinkel went up against midcard babyface John Nord, who's looking to make a name for himself by defeating the great Nick Bockwinkel. Unfortunately, just the opposite happens as Bockwinkel shows his skill and cunning by making good work of Nord and eventually hitting the Piledriver for the finish. Nord actually looked fairly good and seemed like he was incredibly close to winning, it just wasn't meant to be.

Results: Nick Bockwinkel wins via Pinfall

ANGLE

Nick Bockwinkel makes his way backstage and comes face to face with Commissioner Wally Karbo, and makes his case for an AWA World Heavyweight title shot. He states that since neither Zbyszko and Backlund won their match, they shouldn't be eligeable to be #1 contender. "I on the other hand, have won twice against capable opponents, and it only makes sense you give a winning man his fair chance." Karbo says he'll think it over and talk to the Championship Committee.

ANGLE

We are backstage with Larry Nelson who is sandwiched between two massive men and a slightly smaller man in The Road Warriors and Paul Ellering. Ellering speaks on behalf of Hawk & Animal and states that the never-ending reign of the Road Warriors continues. "Tonight is just like any other night. We're gonna go in there, kick some ass, and work out afterwards." He talks about The Fabulous Ones for a small bit, insulting them every way he can and talking about the pure superiority of the Road Warriors compared to them.

The Road Warriors w/ Paul Ellering

vs.

The Fabulous Ones

This one is quite the squash match for the most part. The Road Warriors completely steamroll their opponents, Stan Lane and Steve Keirn. Despite the short length of the match, the crowd looked quite entertained, although still miffed that the Road Warriors won yet another one. Is there anyone that can stop them in tag team competition?

Results: The Road Warriors win via Pinfall
    ANGLE

Our final segment before the main event sees Larry Nelson interviewing Jimmy Garvin & Larry Zbyszko. Zbyszko and Garvin are looking quite confident with Precious wrapped around Garvin's arm. Zbyszko, "The Real Living Legend", starts off and talks arrogantly about his ability and Garvin's natural talents. He says that Martel may be the champion, but he would lose that championship quite quickly if Zbyszko got his way and they faced one-on-one. He then turns his attention to Bob Backlund, saying that last night he got lucky, tonight will be different, make no mistake. Garvin gets his turn to speak, and he says that unlike Martel and unlike Backlund, he's got the girl, and got the talent, all he needs is the gold. He mentions that if he can't win via Plan A (beat them clean), and he can't win via Plan B (dirty tactics), there's always a Plan C (use Precious and brass knuckles, baby), just like The Crusher learned firsthand.

Rick Martel & Bob Backlund

vs.

Larry Zbyszko & Jimmy Garvin w/ Precious

Our main event of the evening sees superstar team-ups of AWA World Heavyweight Champion Rick Martel & Bob Backlund and Larry Zbyszko & Jimmy Garvin. The match starts off with Backlund beating the piss out of Garvin until a "lucky" hit by Garvin hurts Backlund pretty bad. Much of the match is then spent with Zbyszko & Garvin tagging in and out, beating the hell out of Backlund until a comeback and hot tag to Rick Martel occurs, who then runs wild and knocks both Garvin & Zbyszko out of the ring. The end of the match occurs when Zbyszko & Precious distracts the ref while Martel & Garvin fight on the outside; Garvin implements "Plan C" and knocks the AWA Champion's lights out with a pair of brass knucks before getting back into the ring for the count-out victory. The crowd is quite clearly pissed to see their AWA Champion disrespected like that.

Results: Jimmy Garvin & Larry Zbyszko win via Count-Out
    Show Rating: C+

Not too bad of a show to be honest, and a major positive was the amount of money we made on the show. Some storylines were also built to, even if nobody but the crowd will likely see it... One big surprise out of the night was probably King Kong Brody beating Sgt. Slaughter clean. I know I know, Sgt. Slaughter looks terrible in losing clean like that, but this is Frank we're talking about... he's a bit of a hardass even if he's really a nice guy. I'll work on getting Sgt. Slaughter his win back in the future... maybe. Another thing of note, I've brought in a couple new signings, probably the most exciting of which is The British Bulldogs, Dynamite Kid & Davey Boy Smith. Now I know, Dynamite's a dick, but it's hard to deny his popularity here in that states and in Japan. They're a damn good tag team too... just need to build them up.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Good show actaully. Always heard that AWA had good talent, looking forward to see how this progresses.

Also Bulldogs
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

#GrimLove

Status

OOC: Yeah, from what I've seen, the AWA had unbelievable talent, the problem is they had been wrestling for donkey's years and Verne couldn't build up any real new stars without Vince McMahon/his own ineptitude causing them to leave. Most famous of them was probably Hogan in '83.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Of all the BTB's started here recently, this is the one that has really caught my eye. I love reading from the booker's perspective of things. Watching the the slow build of programs is very retro and helps bring me back to a time when I got into wrestling.

The rivalry with McMahon will be a very interesting point in this BTB. Already losing out on Sherri for your women's division is a neat point. I like bringing in Rude, Steiner,The Fantastics, etc. Some will bitch that it isn't accurate, but that is what I actually like about it the most.

I hate the Fabulous Ones got crushed by Hawk and Animal. At one time, that was actually a pretty decent program for the AWA. Slaughter and Brody was also another program that would have sent the fans home unhappy, but gives you room to build for a program. (Brody and Slaughter would have been an all out war.)

With John Nord... I'm curious to know what gimmick you are using for him. You made no mention of it.

#GrimLove

Status

Thursday, Week 2, 1985
    Yack Arena, Wyandotte, Michigan
    Attendence: 3,301
    TV Rating: 0.53 (78,240 Viewers)

Another taping of our television program and from the looks of it we got a bigger crowd. That's good; the more people we can draw, the less money we end up losing on this venture. On the plus side, I've got a trick or two up my sleeves for those watching at home: plenty of new talent. I'm sure that locker room is crowded as shit now with all the new hires, but some of them are... well, not returning, and some will not be here much longer, through my own doing. The next month or so should weed out those I no longer have a need for.

In the Pre-Show, we saw Linda Dallas pin a young up-and-comer Madusa Miceli, the debuting The Midnight Express with the one and only Jim Cornette defeated jobbers Jake Milliman & Steve Olsonoski, Rick Steiner defeated Tom Zenk (hilariously, Zenk tried to posture and politic his way to a better finish, but uh, Rick Steiner. Enough said), The Fantastics pinned Tom Stone & Chris Markoff, and finally Rick Rude defeated local jobber Al Snow.

The High Flyers

vs.

The Malenko Brothers (Dean & Joe)

In a quick match that saw impressive high flying and great technical wrestling, despite little heat from the crowd, The High Flyers handily beat the debuting team of Dean & Joe Malenko. The two teams were incredible together and had some amazing chemistry.

Result: The High Flyers win via Pinfall
    ANGLE

We cut backstage and are introduced to our new interveiwer, Barbara Clary, who is unfortunately sandwiched (get your mind out of the gutter, folks) between two massive slabs of meat that happen to be The Road Warriors, as well as Paul Ellering standing beside her. Ellering proclaims that in a few days The High Flyers will get what is coming to them when The Road Warriors defend the AWA Tag Team Championships. "Greg Gagne got lucky against Hawk; but he's been waiting, biding his time, hoping to get back in the ring with you, Greg. Trust me when I say, you better have a hope and a prayer you don't end up a crippled mess when Hawk & Animal have their way with you!"

Mr. Masa Saito

vs.

Jerry Blackwell

Here we see a Jerry Blackwell sighting (trust me, I've got nothing for him to do, to be honest), going up against Masa Saito. Though the match looks to favor Blackwell this time, Saito eaks out a victory through well used tactics (AKA, he cheated by grabbing the tights).

Result: Saito wins via Pinfall
    ANGLE

Barbara Clary now interviews recently crowned AWA International Television Champion, Curt Hennig. Hennig talks about the pride of being a champion, but quickly switches his attention to Masa Saito. Hennig states that Saito and he have done just about everything to each other and it's gotten to the boiling point. "I had a talk with Wally Karbo and he agreed with me on one thing, Saito will sooner stab you in the back than he would in the stomach. Karbo, and the Championship Committee (AKA Greg Gagne, Verne, and I) though, in their infinite wisdom, have made one last match for me and Mr. Saito to fight in, and that is a Loser Leaves Town match for the AWA International Television Championship..." He gets a few more lines out before Saito, who apparently had just gotten to the backstage area, jumps Hennig from behind! Clearly Saito knew about this match and he's taking the chance to hurt Hennig bad before their match on this Sunday.

Rating: D

AWA Light Heavyweight Championship
    Steve Regal

vs.

Koko B. Ware

Steve Regal goes up against the debuting Koko B. Ware. It's a fairly back & forth match, with Ware controlling it for most of it before Regal employs dirty tricks to gain the advantage.Once again, the bad guy wins because they just can't win without being a dick.

Result: Steve Regal wins via Pinfall to retain the Light Heavyweight Championship
    Rating:D+
    ANGLE

We head backstage once more to find Ms. Clary interviewing Sgt. Slaughter. We're shown footage from a few nights ago, when Slaughter & King Kong Brody had fought, as well as showing the aftermath when Brody beat the piss out of Slaughter post-match. Slaughter says that he was beaten fair and square, that he can accept; what he won't accept though, is Brody acting like a coward and bastard (my words, not his), putting the boots to Slaughter after the match. He wants a rematch, and if Brody thinks the last match was brutal, "this coming Sunday is going to be an all-out blood bath."

Nick Bockwinkel

vs.

Brad Rheingans

A somewhat short match, Nick Bockwinkel makes short work of (Verne's "chosen one") Brad Rheingans with a Piledriver. During the match, Brad would have won, but Bockwinkel, being the wily veteran he is, came back and countered serveral series of grapples against him.

Result: Bockwinkel win via Pinfall
    ANGLE

Backstage we're once again seeing Ms. Clary making an interview, this time with Jimmy Garvin, who has the lovely little lady (and his wife, but kayfabe, dude!), Precious, beside her. Clary asks Garvin about the main event tonight against AWA Champion Rick Martel. Garvin responds saying he's not worried, he and (seemingly new buddy) Larry Zbyszko defeated the team of Backlund & Martel. Clary reminds him that he did use a less than legal tactic to do so, and we're shown footage of the house show, where Garvin smashed Martel in the face with brass knuckles to win. Garvin simply responds that he's a master tactician, and that if Plan A and Plan B (simply beat them, or use dirty tactics, respectively) fail, there is always Plan C. After this match, he and Zbyszko are gonna walk in on Sunday and beat Bob Backlund & The Crusher.

ANGLE

Barbara Clary is met in the interview area by a new superstar making his debut: Jake "The Snake" Roberts. He instantly creeps her out with his presence alone. He comes to say that the AWA is nothing more than a playground for him. He's here to simply unleash his venom upon his opponents on his climb to the top, "and the only way to the top is through being the smartest. It's the smartest man that survives in this business."

Jake Roberts

vs.

John Nord

In a short match, we saw Jake Roberts show exactly what he meant. As soon as the match started, Roberts immediately showed his vicious and callous streak, beating the dog-piss out of Nord, who was essentially helpless but did all he could to fight back, at one point looking like he had the match in control. Unfortunately, Jake Roberts had the "snake in the grass" as it were, and hit the DDT from nowhere.

Result: Jake Roberts wins via Pinfall

Bob Backlund

vs.

The Masked Superstar

In the best match of the night, Backlund & The Masked Superstar have a damn fine match that excites the crowd. Through most of the match, Superstar can't seem to stop Backlund, who has so much heart. The finish of the match saw Backlund make a comeback only to be cut off by Masked Superstar not willing to take a chance at being pinned, so he tails it and gets out of dodge, waiting to fight another day.

Results: Bob Backlund wins via Count-Out
    ANGLE

We head backstage where Nick Bockwinkel is standing with Wally Karbo. Nick is making his case for a title shot on Sunday against AWA Champion Rick Martel. Karbo finds it hard to argue against Bockwinkel's points... "You make several good points, and you know what, Nick? The Championship Committee agrees. You and Martel will fight for the AWA World Championship this Sunday."

ANGLE

We cut back to Barbara Clary who is met by yet another debuting superstar, the debuting Randy Savage, who absolutely exudes confidence and charisma. He says that the AWA was the next big step for a top-tier talent like Savage, and says that everybody is looking at the next AWA World Heavyweight Champion, a proclamation he intends to keep.

Larry Zbyszko

vs.

Baron Von Raschke

Another fairly good match that saw two extremely talented workers in Zbyszko & Raschke go one on one against each other. Raschke dominated the first half of the match, while the second half saw Zbyzsko come around and finally gain the advantage, through an astonishing combo of technique and cheap shots. "The Real Living Legend" won after getting his feet on the ropes while the referee wasn't looking.

Results: Zbyszko wins via Pinfall
    Ratings: C+

ANGLE

Barbara Clary talks to Larry Zbyszko, who continues to make claims about being "The Real Living Legend", stating that he handily defeated a "supposed" legend in Baron Von Raschke; imagine what he would do when he gets back in the ring with other so-called "legends" like Bob Backlund and The Crusher while tagging with "good buddy" Jimmy Garvin.

NON-TITLE MATCH
    AWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Rick Martel

vs.

Jimmy Garvin w/ Precious

Jimmy Garvin and Rick Martel manage to have a pretty good match with the usual "Face in Peril" cliche that has become so commonplace in the wrestling business these days. Martel is a master at comebacks so he does extremely well in that. The finish of the match saw The Crusher come out from nowhere to prevent Precious from interfering on behalf of Garvin. Without that safety net (otherwise known as "Plan C") there, Rick Martel finally succeeded in making a comeback and pinned Garvin for the win!

Results: Rick Martel wins via Pinfall

SHOW RATING: C+

Another TV taping over with and overall I thought it was rather good if not slightly disappointing compared to last week. I guess there weren't any matches that stood out much aside from the High Flyers vs. the Malenko Brothers, which was much much better than I thought it would be. As can be seen, we've also had an even larger influx of talent over the last week, probably the biggest two being Randy Savage & Jake Roberts, two incredible coups if you ask me (considering I heard Vince didn't even know about them). We also managed to hire some more women despite Vince getting the two I originally wanted (Sherri & Vivian Vachon). I also got Koko B. Ware to help buoy the Light Heavyweight Division, which is gonna need some help soon.

Our upcoming event is on Sunday and it'll be my first supershow as a booker. I hope Verne will like how it comes out, because I'm incredibly nervous. There are some unique matches for the show thanks in part to certain circumstances regarding some superstars. One of them went and signed an exclusive deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling, so they'll be leaving after the show, and another has decided it's time to hang up the boots and retire to a backstage role. So this show will have their last matches.

AWA SUPER SHOW

Rick Martel vs. Nick Bockwinkel

LOSER LEAVES TOWN
    Curt Hennig vs. Masa Saito

The Road Warriors vs. The High Flyers

Sgt. Slaughter vs. King Kong Brody

Larry Zbyszko & Jimmy Garvin vs. The Crusher & Bob Backlund

Steve Regal vs. Koko B. Ware

AWA Women's Championship
    Candi Devine vs. Linda Dallas

AND MORE!

Just Justice

Status

I've been reading the last few posts for a while and I have to say, it's very interesting! As someone who was born the early 2000's, it's interesting reading a promotion that was long gone by the time I heard about them, the only real things I heard was how they fucked up with Hulk Hogan and how The Rockers got their start there. I'll drop a review soon but keep up the great work

X

All steak and no sizzle

Status

RIP to the Z-Man Tom Zenk. I had a weird interest in the AWA when I found out about since it had so many stars before they hit their stride ie. Hennig, Hall, Michaels, Hogan, Martel and people like Bockwinkel and Stan Hansen that you wouldn't see much of in the WWF if it all. I like the angle you're going with, for the AWA to survive Verne would have needed to take a backseat or let someone else in creatively. The narration is great too. Keep it up. I can only wonder though if John Smith would participate in the WrestleRock Rumble.

#GrimLove

Status

Just an update, this Christmas I miraculously happened to get a brand new computer, so I had all my files on my old computer, I finally managed to transfer all my files, get TEW2016 unlicensed, and then relicensed & installed onto this computer yesterday, so I'm back in business. I should have the big event up sometime next week!

#GrimLove

Status

AWA SuperShow
    Sunday, Week 2, January 1985
    Roy Wilkins Auditorium, St. Paul, Minnesota
    Attendence: 5,000 (SELL OUT)

It's time for our first supershow of the year, and we're looking pretty good, we've got a good crowd out there and for once it's a sell-out. I'm feeling great about that, but Verne just is a brooding bastard and thinks we can draw a bigger house. Maybe, maybe not, but we're definitely not going to shill out the funds to rent the Metrodome if we can barely draw 5,000 people.
    In the pre-show, Rick Rude quickly defeated Steve Olsonoski, former Michigan amateur wrestler Rick Steiner pinned Jake Milliman, and Scott Hall defeated jobber Tom Stone.

The British Bulldogs

vs.

The Malenko Bros.

In a quick yet exciting match, the young English team of Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith made short-work of the brotherly duo of Joe & Dean Malenko. Despite the length, the crowd were into it and saw some awesome wrestling maneuvers throughout.

Results: The British Bulldogs win via Pinfall
    ANGLE

After the match we cut backstage to find Barbara Clary, who is about to interview Jake Roberts when she is cut off by him. Roberts, in his own wordy way, states that the landscape of the AWA will shake very soon, as his quest for the top spot continues tonight; he must go up against Brad Rheingans. He proclaims that Brad may be an Olympic level athlete, but he's missing an important piece of the puzzle, and that's "the willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done..."

Jake Roberts

vs.

Brad Rheingans

Our second match of the evening sees the dastardly Jake Roberts come up against Brad Rheingans. Unfortunately for Rheingans, Roberts is up to his tricks again, and brutalizes Rheingans with vicious maneuvers, mind games, and of course, the occasional dirty tactic. Roberts gets the win after a pin with his legs on the ropes.

Results: Jake Roberts wins via Pinfall
    ANGLE

We return once again backstage to Barbara Clary, who introduces her next interwiew, the now debuting Midnight Express, with their manager, the pompous and thousand-mile-an-hour talker himself, Jim Cornette. He talks about how great it is to have to come up here to see the hicks from Minnesota gawk at the greatness that is the Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Dennis Condry) in all their glory. Tonight they'll show two pansies (my words, not his) in the Fabulous Ones just how great they are...

The Fabulous Ones

vs.

The Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette

... Unfortunately for Jim Cornette, he had to put his money where his mouth is, and it didn't work out so well, as the experienced duo of Keirn & Lane caught Condry & Eaton off guard completely. In what was a typical "AWA" style tag match (Faces get extended shine before fuck up, switch to Southern Style), The Fabulous Ones won via DQ after Jim Cornette got involved with his precious tennis racket to prevent his team from being pinned.

Results: The Fabulous Ones win via DQ
    Steve Regal

vs.

Koko B. Ware

After a slow paced tag match, we're welcomed with a quick match for the AWA Light Heavyweight Championship, with Steve Regal defending his championship against newcomer Koko B. Ware. It was a short but fast moving match (in terms of American lightweight wrestling), with Regal getting a handful of tights for the win, disappointing the challenger Ware.

Results: Regal wins via Pinfall to Retain

ANGLE

Following the match, Regal lays the boots to Koko from behind for good measure, making it clear he feels Ware hasn't had enough. Out comes "The Z-Man" Tom Zenk to make the save, which sends Regal packing, but not before holding up his belt and making crass remarks to both Koko and Zenk.
    AWA World Women's Championship
    Candi Devine

vs.

Linda Dallas

AWA Women's Champion Candi Devine retains the championship in an alright match against a member of the Nasty Girls, Linda Dalls, whilst also thwarting interference from partner in crime Kat LeRoux.

Results: Devine wins via Pinfall to Retain
    Ratings: D

ANGLE

We get our mix of angry Middle-Eastern rambling onto the show as Sheik Adnan-Al Kaissey (representing King Kong Brody) is interviewed by Barbara Clary, who's a very busy girl, and he does his usual schtick. He essentially says, in his lovely way, that Brody and he are going to love showing how weak Sgt. Slaughter and the rest of America are once again. Brody beat Slaughter within an inch of his life, and he'll take great pleasure in doing it again.

ANGLE

Almost immediately after that, we're shown a tape from earlier today as Clary interviews the subject of Shiek's ridicule, Sgt. Slaughter. Slaughter has many things to say to Brody and Shiek, but he keeps it concise. He says America doesn't have one ounce of quit and after the Pearl Harbor job done to him by Brody and Sheik, he's going to return the favor, and with a bloodcurdling laugh, says "all's fair in love and war, and I most certainly don't love you, Brody."

Sgt. Slaughter

vs.

King Kong Brody w/ Shiek Adnan Al-Kaissey

In what was an incredibly brutal fight that saw both Sgt. Slaughter and King Kong Brody bleeding profusely, they spill onto the outside and fight into the crowd, much to the chagrin of the referee, who ends up counting the two out, but it's not like they care. It ends up a two-on-one affair as Shiek and Brody leave Slaughter in a heap of blood and guts.

Results: Double Count-Out
    ANGLE

Barbara Clary gives an interview to the AWA International Television Champion Curt Hennig, who talks about his upcoming Loser Leaves Town match against Masa Saito. It's the gripping finale to a several month-long war between the two, and he's been prepared to end it long ago. Hennig says Saito better be ready for the fight of his life, because he guarantees he will remain the International Television Champion when all is said and done.

Loser Leaves Town
    Curt Hennig

vs.

"Mr." Masa Saito

In a grueling match much like the previous Slaughter/Brody affair, we see Hennig busted open a bit. Hennig has an attitude of never say die and refuses to go down. The big comeback eventually begins and with a wicked Fisherman Suplex, Hennig gets the surprise 1-2-3 on Saito and HEEEEE'S OUTTA HEEERRRREEEEE!!! Saito protests vociferously with the referee, but it does him no good. His time with the AWA is done, with Hennig victorious once and for all in the war against Masa Saito.

Results: Curt Hennig wins via Pinfall to Retain
    The Masked Superstar

vs.

Jerry Blackwell

In a buffer match to help get the crowd rested, The Masked Superstar goes up against Jerry Blackwell, who unfortunately takes a loss here in a short match. Blackwell's a great guy and all but I've just got nothing for him. Superstar though I can use as one to get some up and coming faces ready for the bigger matches.

Results: Superstar wins via Pinfall
    Rating C

ANGLE

Barbara Clary is once again on interview duty, as she interviews the new power duo of "The Real Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko and Jimmy Garvin, who has the lovely Precious around his arm. They talk a lot about how they're the true power duo in the AWA and that nobody can really stop them. Zbyszko says that as the "Real Living Legend" he's going to show Crusher and Backlund how to really wrestle. Garvin once again talks about how he's a master strategist, and as Crusher learned already, Plan C is always an option.
    The Crusher & Bob Backlund

vs.

Jimmy Garvin & Larry Zbyszko w/ Precious

We start off the match with Garvin & Zbyszko taking control of the early going on Backlund, keeping that master brawler Crusher in his corner, and holding Backlund on the 2-on-1 disadvantage. Fortunately for Backlund, sometimes Precious screws up when she has only one job. The hot tag gets done and Crusher makes a beeline for Garvin, who is not ready for the flying fists of the beer swilling polka playing man who made Milwaukee famous! Bada bing, bada boom, Plan C fails, as Crusher more than caught on to Garvin's ways, and with Zbyszko distracting the ref, The Crusher gives Garvin a taste of his own medicine and the brass knuckles collide with the forehead, ending the match in a decisive turnaround of fair play.

Results: Crusher & Backlund win via Pinfall

ANGLE

We once again, almost like a million times tonight, return to see Barbara Clary interview "Precious" Paul Ellering and behind them is the mass of humanity that is the AWA World Tag Team Champions, The Road Warriors. Ellering talks about the usual schtick of the never ending title reign of Hawk and Animal; he also mentions that the High Flyers have not a chance in heaven or hell of beating these two big mean psychos.

The Road Warriors w/ Paul Ellering

vs.

The High Flyers

The Road Warriors came out with a fire on their ass and started off beating the living piss out of the Flyers, isolating Gagne from Brunzell and only allowing a few hope spots here and there, before the hot tag to Brunzell, who utilizes his stamina and speed to out work Hawk & Animal. Unfortunately, the ace in the hole is that no good dirty bastard Paul Ellering, who trips up Brunzell while the ref wasn't looking and was almost decapitated by Animal and sets them for the victory.

Results: The Road Warriors win via Pinfall to Retain

ANGLE

We're brought backstage to see Barbara Clary (again and again, I really need to think about hiring another interviewer), this time, he's interviewing the poster boy of the AWA: The world champion himself, Rick Martel. He says he's been listening to Nick Bockwinkel talk about how he'll be the next AWA Champion, how he's proven his worth. Martel gives a hearty jab at Bockwinkel saying that if he had truly proven his worth, he never would have lost to Jumbo Tsuruta, who, he reminds everybody, he beat to win the championship.

ANGLE

Barbara Clary, who is probably really damn tired and in need in of a break, gets the last interview of the night with the challenger to the AWA World Heavyweight Champion: Nick Bockwinkel. He uses his pronounced vocabularium to profess that he's the best in the world, the "man" that others emulate, the true AWA Champion. He states Rick Martel is a pretender to the throne, and although he holds the belt, Bockwinkel will take him to school.

Rick Martel

vs.

Nick Bockwinkel

Our big main event of the show, Nick Bockwinkel takes the advantage as the wily veteran to begin the match. Martel shows a great tenacity to survive and shows that he can go toe to toe with the "man" himself. The Ending comes from Martel managing to escape from the attempt of a Piledriver, turning it into a vicious Alabama Slam into a vicious Boston Crab, Bockwinkel refuses to quit though, rather choosing to pass out from pain and exhaustion instead following what was a pretty up and down and grueling 24 minute match.

Results: Martel wins via Submission
    SHOW RATING: C-

I was slightly disappointed with how the Main Event went, but it was a great show nonetheless. Probably the surprise of the night was how great the Fabulous Ones and the Midnight Express match was. I think I've got a good feud between the two going... we just need to get people invested in Jim Cornette being a dick. Our two exiting wrestlers was Masa Saito, who signed with NJPW, and The Crusher, who despite Verne's best efforts, couldn't be convinced not to retire. I wished them both the best in their future and let them know they'd be welcome back at any point. Of course, that was a formality. Masa and Crusher were from the last generation, and I was planning on phasing them out one way or another. This was just convenient happenstance. Lucky me.

Bad news had come out of the land of the WWF, Wendi Richter, one of the best women's wrestlers in America today, got injured pretty badly. She'll be out for who knows how long. It's a shame, I really want to steal her and I'm hearing she's having some problems with Vince over pay. Another person of interest is Terry Funk. He's been rumored to be resigning with Jim Crockett. I feel comfortable with our roster as it stands, and bringing in Funk would only add to the payroll, which, if anyone hasn't noticed, has been stretched quite thin lately....

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING
    MEMORIAL HALL
    KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI

Randy Savage vs. Baron Von Raschke

Bob Backlund vs. Jimmy Garvin

The Fabulous Ones vs. The Malenko Bros.

Rick Rude vs. Jerry Blackwell

The Masked Superstar vs. Curt Hennig

Jake Roberts vs. Greg Gagne

Steve Regal vs. Steve Olsonoski
    OOC: (Apologies for the lateness of the show guys, as well as the supposed sloppiness/shortness of the show. I suppose I just wanted to get it out now to keep up with the monthly(?) updates. Hopefully I don't succumb to taking up this long again... anyways, I'll run a prediction contest if anyone's interested. Winner gets... whatever I can think up. )
    Last edited by Grim Barrows; 02-13-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: I dun goofed. Fixed now.

Team Canada

Status

Aside from Regal vs Steve O all the matches scheduled for Kansas City are young or youngish guys against older guys

Savage should destroy Raske
    Rude over Blackwell
    Roberts should injure Verne's Son on his way to a convincing victory

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I figured no better time to actually drop some comments on this then after the first super show…

Before I touch on what occurred in the show, I do have to compliment you of the writing style you’re using for this. Writing from the booker’s perspective is such a refreshing change, and the dynamic you’ve built between the booker and Verne is fantastic. I LOVE the fact that they are nearly always disagreeing and I can’t wait to see if that leads to further issues down the line.

Pre show matches all had some pretty well known names in there and they all seemed to pick up the wins. If Rude, Steiner and Hall become regular competitors, I’m intrigued to see what you’ll do with them moving forward.

The British Bulldogs and The Malenko’s would have been an awesome way to start the show. Surprised this match got such a low TEW rating. Bulldogs getting the win makes sense from a booking standpoint as they are the hot new team that needs to be built up, however I would have preferred the match to not be a quick one. Nothing wrong with a quick match, just a personal preference thing considering the wrestlers involved. Given more time, these two teams could steal the show, in my opinion. Would love to see a rematch down the track.

A good start from Roberts in this thread with his win on the previous show and now the win here. With his eerie promos and his dirty tactics inside of the ring, you’ve done a great job of establishing him immediately as a solid, credible heel. I’d love to get a little more detail into exactly what sort of mind games he is playing inside the ring, could add a whole other element to his character. At the moment though, the booking of Roberts has been great.

LOL at the pansies being the bookers words and not Cornette’s. I thought that was pretty funny.

Interesting start for the Midnight Express and Cornette here as they didn’t get the obligatory win to look good in their first appearance. Instead, the tennis racket saves them from being pinned. I guess the DQ finish means these two teams have an automatic feud and will battle again. Pretty solid stuff all around, no issues, considering it makes sense to not just have every new talent win their match on a Super show.

One thing I’d ask is if moving forward, we could have all matches in quote boxes and segments not, or the other way around. I get what you’re going for with one segment in quotes, and one not to separate the two, but it’s a little too inconsistent for my liking, when half the show has the matches displayed one way, and then it just changes. It makes it a little confusing, and I’ve had to triple check to ensure I was reading another match a couple of times. This has happened when I was reading up on the previous shows in the thread as well.

Steve Regal as the Lightweight Champ is good fun, and I’m happy to see him get a win over Koko. The attack afterwards and the save by Zenk gives Regal a few people gunning for him moving forward. Solid stuff.

I feel like the women haven’t really had much time to shine so far in this thread, but that is probably reminiscent of the times more than anything. Either way, a good defence for the champion to overcome interference and look really strong moving forward.

I was a little shocked when Sgt Slaughter jobbed to Brody a couple of weeks back. The rematch here to me had Slaughter getting revenge all over it, but the Double Count Out and the aftermath didn’t turn out that way. Wondering if Slaughter will look to get some sort of support to help him with the numbers game in the future. I think it’s smart to continue this feud as there is some legitimate heat between the Slaughter/Brody and with the amount of new guys coming in and establishing themselves in virtually nothing matches, this feud will be integral during that phase.

Mr. Saito must be the one going to New Japan then? I’m glad anyway because Hennig going would have been a HUGE loss, as he’s a young, talented man at this stage that the AWA can be built around moving forward. Happy this has turned out this way and a nice full stop on their feud. Great stuff.

Seeing as though it was a buffer match of sorts, the result of The Masked Superstar/Blackwell wasn’t really going to make me care either way.

A good tag match here and a good win for The Crusher and Backlund. With Plan C having done a lot of damage in this thread already, it was good to see it backfire for a change. A really fun finish.

Poor Barbara Clary. I hope you’re paying her enough with the amount of segments she has had to be a part of tonight, or you’ll probably lose her next… Love the amount of attention The Road Warriors have got as the tag champs in this thread. I feel like back in these times tag wrestling was so much more important, so to see Ellering getting mic time every week and TRW picking up wins is great. Another win here, albeit cheaply is fine, and I enjoyed the contrast of styles between the two teams. Curious to see whether there is a follow up thanks to Ellering’s interference.

How the hell did Barbara go from interviewing Martel to Bockwinkel that quick? Getting ridiculous at this point haha…

Awesome to see the main event go 24 minutes. Even more happy for Martel to get the win here, he’s the talent I want to see dominate. A good match nonetheless and a strong finish to the show. Intrigued to see what is next for both of these guys.

A really good Super Show here, mate. The disappointment from the booker is probably more due to the match ratings, but I feel like you’re continuing to establish new talent, whilst having some on going feuds continuing so it doesn’t just feel like random matches all the time (which it did a little for the first show or two). Good things ahead for this thread by the looks of things, and here are my predictions for the next card:

Randy Savage to win – needs to look good in his first appearance as I’m sure he’ll become a big part of the AWA. I’d mark out for a Hennig/Savage feud down the track by the way.

Bob Backlund – I think he’ll go close to being the next challenger to Martel so a win here will keep him going down that path.

The Malenko Bro’s – Hoping to see Cornette and The Midnight Express cost The Fabulous Ones to further that program.

Rick Rude – Blackwell has nothing happening, and Rude is a talent on his way to great things.

Curt Hennig – The Masked Superstar is just a space filler right now, and Hennig is the champ. Hennig wins.

Jake Roberts – On a roll since debuting with the company. Looking forward to seeing him defeat Greg.

Steve Regal – The Light Heavyweight champ wins this one.

#GrimLove

Status

Quote Originally Posted by stojy View Post
    I figured no better time to actually drop some comments on this then after the first super show…

Before I touch on what occurred in the show, I do have to compliment you of the writing style you’re using for this. Writing from the booker’s perspective is such a refreshing change, and the dynamic you’ve built between the booker and Verne is fantastic. I LOVE the fact that they are nearly always disagreeing and I can’t wait to see if that leads to further issues down the line.

Pre show matches all had some pretty well known names in there and they all seemed to pick up the wins. If Rude, Steiner and Hall become regular competitors, I’m intrigued to see what you’ll do with them moving forward.

The British Bulldogs and The Malenko’s would have been an awesome way to start the show. Surprised this match got such a low TEW rating. Bulldogs getting the win makes sense from a booking standpoint as they are the hot new team that needs to be built up, however I would have preferred the match to not be a quick one. Nothing wrong with a quick match, just a personal preference thing considering the wrestlers involved. Given more time, these two teams could steal the show, in my opinion. Would love to see a rematch down the track.

A good start from Roberts in this thread with his win on the previous show and now the win here. With his eerie promos and his dirty tactics inside of the ring, you’ve done a great job of establishing him immediately as a solid, credible heel. I’d love to get a little more detail into exactly what sort of mind games he is playing inside the ring, could add a whole other element to his character. At the moment though, the booking of Roberts has been great.

LOL at the pansies being the bookers words and not Cornette’s. I thought that was pretty funny.

Interesting start for the Midnight Express and Cornette here as they didn’t get the obligatory win to look good in their first appearance. Instead, the tennis racket saves them from being pinned. I guess the DQ finish means these two teams have an automatic feud and will battle again. Pretty solid stuff all around, no issues, considering it makes sense to not just have every new talent win their match on a Super show.

One thing I’d ask is if moving forward, we could have all matches in quote boxes and segments not, or the other way around. I get what you’re going for with one segment in quotes, and one not to separate the two, but it’s a little too inconsistent for my liking, when half the show has the matches displayed one way, and then it just changes. It makes it a little confusing, and I’ve had to triple check to ensure I was reading another match a couple of times. This has happened when I was reading up on the previous shows in the thread as well.

Steve Regal as the Lightweight Champ is good fun, and I’m happy to see him get a win over Koko. The attack afterwards and the save by Zenk gives Regal a few people gunning for him moving forward. Solid stuff.

I feel like the women haven’t really had much time to shine so far in this thread, but that is probably reminiscent of the times more than anything. Either way, a good defence for the champion to overcome interference and look really strong moving forward.

I was a little shocked when Sgt Slaughter jobbed to Brody a couple of weeks back. The rematch here to me had Slaughter getting revenge all over it, but the Double Count Out and the aftermath didn’t turn out that way. Wondering if Slaughter will look to get some sort of support to help him with the numbers game in the future. I think it’s smart to continue this feud as there is some legitimate heat between the Slaughter/Brody and with the amount of new guys coming in and establishing themselves in virtually nothing matches, this feud will be integral during that phase.

Mr. Saito must be the one going to New Japan then? I’m glad anyway because Hennig going would have been a HUGE loss, as he’s a young, talented man at this stage that the AWA can be built around moving forward. Happy this has turned out this way and a nice full stop on their feud. Great stuff.

Seeing as though it was a buffer match of sorts, the result of The Masked Superstar/Blackwell wasn’t really going to make me care either way.

A good tag match here and a good win for The Crusher and Backlund. With Plan C having done a lot of damage in this thread already, it was good to see it backfire for a change. A really fun finish.

Poor Barbara Clary. I hope you’re paying her enough with the amount of segments she has had to be a part of tonight, or you’ll probably lose her next… Love the amount of attention The Road Warriors have got as the tag champs in this thread. I feel like back in these times tag wrestling was so much more important, so to see Ellering getting mic time every week and TRW picking up wins is great. Another win here, albeit cheaply is fine, and I enjoyed the contrast of styles between the two teams. Curious to see whether there is a follow up thanks to Ellering’s interference.

How the hell did Barbara go from interviewing Martel to Bockwinkel that quick? Getting ridiculous at this point haha…

Awesome to see the main event go 24 minutes. Even more happy for Martel to get the win here, he’s the talent I want to see dominate. A good match nonetheless and a strong finish to the show. Intrigued to see what is next for both of these guys.

A really good Super Show here, mate. The disappointment from the booker is probably more due to the match ratings, but I feel like you’re continuing to establish new talent, whilst having some on going feuds continuing so it doesn’t just feel like random matches all the time (which it did a little for the first show or two). Good things ahead for this thread by the looks of things, and here are my predictions for the next card:

Randy Savage to win – needs to look good in his first appearance as I’m sure he’ll become a big part of the AWA. I’d mark out for a Hennig/Savage feud down the track by the way.

Bob Backlund – I think he’ll go close to being the next challenger to Martel so a win here will keep him going down that path.

The Malenko Bro’s – Hoping to see Cornette and The Midnight Express cost The Fabulous Ones to further that program.

Rick Rude – Blackwell has nothing happening, and Rude is a talent on his way to great things.

Curt Hennig – The Masked Superstar is just a space filler right now, and Hennig is the champ. Hennig wins.

Jake Roberts – On a roll since debuting with the company. Looking forward to seeing him defeat Greg.

Steve Regal – The Light Heavyweight champ wins this one.
    Yeah, that's something I can most certainly work on. I'm also working on spicing things up in a big way with my next show.

#GrimLove

Status

Thursday, Week 3, January 1985
    Memorial Hall, Kansas City, Missouri
    Attendence: 3,222
    TV Rating: 0.55 (80,710 Viewers)

It's the first TV taping since the Super Card last Sunday, and we've been a-buzzing with some activity lately. First off, Sheik Adnan is going to be an incredibly busy man, with Verne and I's blessing, he signed with two international promotions: All-Japan Women's Wrestling, and the Mexico based EMLL. It's great that he'll be able to get more work, he's an incredible heel for us. My only question is that Americans have a tough time understanding him already, how the hell are the Spanish & Japanese crowds going to understand him... Another big thing was the signing of a young backstage worker from Memphis, Randy Hales. He had been looking to get some work and I saw some tape of him; I thought he'd be perfect to help take the load off Barbara Clary, who I ran ragged at the Super Show. My plan is to use him for the lower-teir guys, since he doesn't seem to carry himself quite like Clary does. I also had a talk with Verne about changing taping days; I want to be able to use every guy on the TV shows, and our current scheduling on Wednesday just doesn't allow that (yes, I know it says Thursday on my sheet; that's when it airs). Verne and I discussed it and we both came to an agreement (for once; as much as Verne and I argue over things, we both do care about getting more out of our guys) to move the TV tapings to Saturday.

In the pre-show tonight, we had a 10 man battle royale which Jim Brunzell won, and The Nasty Girls defeated Madusa Miceli and Velvet McIntyre.

Steve Regal

vs.

Steve O

In a short squash match against lightweight jobber Steve O, Steve Regal got a convincing win all without cheating. Mostly done to give Regal some more momentum in the storyline going on between Koko B. Ware & Tom Zenk.

Results: Regal wins via Pinfall
    ANGLE

We head backstage to find new interviewer Randy Hales, who is standing beside Tom Zenk. He asks why Zenk felt the need to help Koko B. Ware after the title match. Zenk responds that Regal's a sham as a champion, and blatantly attacking Ware after the match was his breaking point. He says Koko is good dude who had the match won but Regal stole his win. The last words he says is for Regal to "watch yourself, because Koko isn't finished with you and I'm gunning for that title".

ANGLE

Following that Zenk leaves the scene as Hales calls in Jake Roberts to the interview area, who has that ever-present devilish smirk of his attached to his face. Hales talks about his win against Brad Rheingans at the Super Show as well as his upcoming match against the son of Verne, Greg Gagne. With an evil snicker, he proclaims that Rheingans was just an example that Jake "The Snake" means business, and tonight will be no different. "I'm going to take my time, get into the head of Gagne, who may I remind you, is most certainly not going to have his head in the game. He believes he and his partner Mr. Brunzell were cheated out of a victory by one Paul Ellering. His mind is elswehere, he's focused too much on the Road Warriors, when he should be worrying about the snake staring him right between the eyes! The DDT is going to remind him of that very quickly, and then maybe some of you will take Jake "The Snake" seriously".

Rating: D-

Non-Title Match

The Masked Superstar

vs.

Curt Hennig

In a pretty standard fare match, The Masked Superstar gets the jump on Hennig early and attempts to do everything he can to beat the second generation superstar and AWA International Television Champion. However, with a never say die attitude, Hennig keeps coming back from near certain defeat and hits Superstar with everything he's got. Unfortunately, a failed dive off the top rope from Hennig would be his undoing as Superstar gets the pinfall with his legs on the ropes shortly afterwards. For good measure, Superstar shows he doesn't care about Hennig as a person with a few stiff kicks to the back of the head, trying to scramble his brains.

Results: Masked Superstar wins via Pinfall
    ANGLE

After the match, we head to the back to find Barbara Clary, lead interviewer for the AWA, standing beside the mad Iraqi man himself, and representative for King Kong Brody, Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissey. Clary gets to the point asking Adnan where King Kong Brody is, who responds by stating Brody is at home resting and healing his wounds from a well-earned victory (in reality, he's in Japan wrestling in AJPW). Clary tries to correct him by reminding him that neither Brody or Slaughter won their match at the Super Show, but he blows her off by continuing to sing the praises of his monster of a man. He says Slaughter is nowhere to be seen because he's at home licking his wounds and cowering like the girly American he is (he's on the post-show teaming with Martel against the Road Warriors, but KAYFABE!).

Jake Roberts

vs.

Greg Gagne

We have ourselves a decent match between Gagne and Roberts, who proves right in what he was saying. Gagne was clearly not getting his head in the game and Roberts enjoyed taking the time to frustrate Greg by constantly escaping to the outside, taking his time, like a snake in the grass. Finally, when Roberts does strike, he strikes hard and with a viciousness not quite seen in AWA for a while, not to mention using some rest holds and clawing at the eyes while the ref isn't seeing. Verne's boy manages to make a neat comeback effort, which was for naught though, as a convenient ref bump allowed for Roberts to hit a low blow and DDT for the cheap win. Cue the boos from the crowd who really wanted to see some the High Flyer win.

Results: Roberts wins via Pinfall
    ANGLE

After a short commercial break we're brought backstage with Randy Hales talking to Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell, the High Flyers. Gagne says he's disappointed the match turned out the way it did, but he's not surprised. Jake Roberts and The Road Warriors are two peas in a pod, they have to cheat when they're not bullying others lesser than them. He admits maybe he was a little too focused on the Road Warriors, but he won't make that mistake again, because he and Jim want another go at Hawk & Animal, and if Paul Ellering wants to get involved, they'll gladly greet him with a fist to the face. The segment ends with Gagne letting the world know he's not done with Jake Roberts just yet, he'll get his too.

Rick Rude

vs.

Jerry Blackwell

We hit the ring to a shor match involving Rick Rude and Jerry Blackwell. Nothing really worthy of note about the match other than Rude debuting a new finisher, called the Rude Awakening. I kinda feel bad for Blackwell; he's a solid hand but I've just got nothing for him... That needs to change quickly, if you ask me.

Results: Rick Rude wins via Pinfall
    ANGLE

Barbara Clary is met backstage with one Jimmy Garvin & Precious, with the intriguing absence of newfound friend, "The Real Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko. Barbara makes mention of the loss to Backlund & The Crusher last Sunday at the Super Show, but Garvin gives a smirk and says they got lucky because Plan C failed; that's the exception, but not the norm. Tonight, going against Bob Backlund, he doesn't have that old sack Crusher there to help him out. He's ready tonight to show Backlund what it means to be a master strategist. Just at the end, Clary asks Garvin & Precious where their friend Zbyszko is; after a short staredown, Garvin gives a wicked grin and just says, "... don't worry about Larry, my dear. He'll be here."

Jimmy Garvin w/ Precious

vs.

Bob Backlund

This was a match in the making for a while, since Garvin & Zbyszko are buddy buddy. On the outside we see Precious, and ever conspicuous by his presence, "The Real Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko. The match turns out to be a decent one as far as the crowd is concerned. The end comes when Zbyszko interferes while the ref is distracted by Precious, handing Garvin the easy victory.

Results: Jimmy Garvin wins via Pinfall

The Fabulous Ones

vs.

The Malenko Bros.

In an unspectacular but good match, the Fabulous Ones pull off the victory against the Malenko Bros. I will say this about the Malenko's, they put on great matches with everybody. I should start thinking about pushing them more; just one problem... they're bland as hell. No charisma, whatsoever. That might change soon.

Results: The Fabulous Ones win via Pinfall
    ANGLE

Immediately following the match, outta nowhere comes the Midnight Express, who were most certainly not done with the Fabulous Ones after the Super Show, attacking Lane & Keirn from behind while Jim Cornette shouts some obscenities at the two. The Midnight Express leave the Fab Ones in a heap, satisfied with their mob-like attack on them.

ANGLE

After another commercial break, we're brought backstage once again with Barbara Clary, standing beside one "Macho Man" Randy Savage. His confidence, charisma, and character just oozes money as he talks with that famous voice. He talks about how he's arrived at the AWA, the place where they say all the "stars" are at, but he with the snap of a finger he says that only "Macho ManA" Randy Savage is a real star and that everybody including Nick Bockwinkel are pretenders. He calls himself the future of wrestling and he says that nothing will stop his ascent to the top of the food chain, where no one will ever be able to touch him. He then talks about Baron Von Raschke, calling him an old-timer standing in the way of his path. He isn't happy with Mr. Karbo's decision to put him in a match with Raschke, wanting to get in the ring with the top guys, but he certainly won't reject giving somebody a good beat-down.

Randy Savage

vs.

Baron Von Raschke

In match of the night, we saw Randy Savage decimate Baron Von Raschke, who almost stood zero chance when as soon as the bell rung, Savage utilized every nasty cheap shot in the book to his advantage. Raschke almost managed to complete an utter shocker comeback, but Savage is wily in his ways, tossing a pair of brass knuckles he had in his trunks in front of the ref to distract him. One additional foreign object later and of course the signature diving elbow drop, and we have a winner folks.

Results: Savage wins via Pinfall
    ANGLE

Following the Main Event, we're backstage once again, where Nick Bockwinkel, sporting stitches on his head and a bandage, is being interviewed by Barbara Clary. Bockwinkel says first and foremost that he didn't win, but he damn sure didn't lose. He never submitted and he never gave up, so why the match stopped is ridiculous. He tells with a straight face and without an inch of perspicacity, rather going straight-forward so everyone can understand, he says he was robbed by that ending, and he is going to make a case for Wally Karbo to book a rematch. The last thing he says is, "Martel, you may be the champion, but you never made me quit. If you were a real fighting champion, you'd put that belt against me again."

SHOW RATING: C+

Another okay show and although from the looks of it we had the heels come out on top of this one, it'll be much more balanced next week, hopefully. The good thing is we're starting to interlock storylines, with Roberts setting up a feud with Gagne soon and Savage looking to become the AWA Champion at some point in 1985. It'll be interesting to see where this goes. Curt Hennig is also looking to enter a storyline against Masked Superstar, so we'll be pretty action-packed in the next few weeks.

BRADLEY ATHLETICS CENTER
    PEORIA, ILLINOIS

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Larry Zbyszko

The Road Warriors vs. The Fantastics

Randy Savage vs. John Nord

The Masked Superstar vs. Scott Hall

The Midnight Express vs. The British Bulldogs

Tom Zenk & Koko B. Ware vs. The Malenko Bros.

Brad Rheingans vs. Rick Steiner

Prediction Contest Standings:

Stojy: 4
    TCON (If he's joining): 3
    Last edited by Grim Barrows; 02-19-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Team Canada

Status

Sgt Slaughter
    Road Warriors
    Randy Savage
    Scott Hall
    British Bulldogs
    Malenko's
    Rick Steiner

Thread Information