Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The NWA in 2018 - Billy Corgan and David Lagana's Vision

Sweet Meat

Status

The NWA in 2018 - Billy Corgan and David Lagana's Vision

I figured we might as well have a NWA thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV9Sfu5uocU

The interview lends some interesting insight. Corgan hasn't had a tremendous track record in wrestling so far, though fans of his work swear by it. At the very least, it could be good for the business if moderately successful offering jobs to more talent, camera men, etc etc

For those who didn't listen, I do find it interesting all of the other branches are closed down and for now at least it'll be one specific brand.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Ready For Asuka

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: The NWA in 2018 - Billy Corgan and David Lagana's Vision

I give alot of praise to Billy Corgan when he was with Impact because he was working with the talents like the Broken Hardys and Decay both of those teams were flourishing during his time there among other talent. Even though Dixie and other Staff would tell you otherwise, but the talent doesn't lie and he's way smarter a person than any of the high up people in the company right now, and it saddens me they didn't have the intelligence to try to keep him. Spring 2018 they are looking to start doing shows Online that's pretty cool to hear build from the bottom and build a fanbase good interview here.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Sweet Meat

Status

If nothing else, this has the potential to at least make up for LU probably dying

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Ready For Asuka

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    If nothing else, this has the potential to at least make up for LU probably dying
    I hope that isn't the case for LU because it's one of my favorite shows and the ending for the this past season gives me alot of hope for a even better Season 4.

Real Women of Genius

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I applaud him for having a long term plan for NWA rather then just a quick cash grab and wants to start at the bottom. Perhaps he can bring the NWA to it's former glory.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    For those who didn't listen, I do find it interesting all of the other branches are closed down and for now at least it'll be one specific brand.
    Which is something I called for when the news first broke in May. Trying to run the collective that was the NWA would have been a waste of time and money. What we're essentially seeing is just the launch of a new promotion that is using the NWA name.

I do find it a little bit sad that this massively historic thing happened in the NWA ditching all of its territories and it's barely even a news piece when this has been a constant in wrestling since the 1940's.

SAY MY NAME

Status
      Country                    England

Ok so after seeing it get some buzz recently, I watched the '10 pounds of gold' series on youtube and then the Storm Vs Magnus match on facebook that took place last night. The youtube videos are very good and get the champ, Tim Storm, over in the best way possible in the modern era, by just telling his life story and humanising him. He's a history teacher, he's a husband of 30 years, he's a grandfather, he's in his 50s and is only just becoming a noted name in professional wrestling, he knows this is his peak and as soon as he loses the belt it's going to be downhill and maybe even career over. It's a great story, and it's hard not to root for this guy. The match with Magnus was fairly paint by the number, slow, dull and with messy finish, but good matches can come in time when Corgan and Lagana have picked the right guy for Storm to put over. Right now the money and interest is in Storm and his story. This has to be considered a success so far for Corgan's new NWA, I literally haven't heard about this title since Pearce and Cabana did their series of matches a good 5 years ago. The match has been viewed by over 38,000 viewer in 24 hours. I'd really recommend the youtube videos, but not so much the match.

episode 1 to get you started:

The match:
    https://www.facebook.com/NWA/videos/1508910035857071/

Ready For Asuka

Status

The NWA World Title still one of my favorite titles. I put in my favs with the WCW World Title and the Winged Eagle WWE used for quite awhile it's just so beautiful, simple and the what the title means to Pro Wrestling is so great to see back being used again. Personally I love behind the scene documentaries like Ten Pound for Gold and I'll watch the other Episodes tomorrow, but as for the match with Magnus/Storm that was a solid, but yeah not something I would watch again. The ending was well lackluster Storm energy level towarsd the end hurt the Match, but I wonder if when the NWA goes on the road when Corgan wants will Storm stay champion?

Real Women of Genius

Sweet Meat

Status

At least for now, Nick Aldis is on the backburner and Tim Storm has a new threat (a guy Corgan has been booking in some form for years but I don't know that much about him)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb5ZswbA9QM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ezAUDM7-I

Spoiler:

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'd really recommend the youtube videos, but not so much the match.
    The unfortunate thing is that it seems like the poor match has gotten more attention than the YT videos and has some declaring the rebranding a failure from the outset. I've only seen the match and not the build for it, but it certainly seems like a misstep not putting your best foot forward. And if this is their best foot, I'm inclined to agree with the naysayers.

Not every company needs to start off strong but I cannot fathom why you would not want to. Right now 'new NWA' is establishing itself as 'decent promos, bad wrestling.' It's an interesting approach.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

SAY MY NAME

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that it seems like the poor match has gotten more attention than the YT videos and has some declaring the rebranding a failure from the outset. I've only seen the match and not the build for it, but it certainly seems like a misstep not putting your best foot forward. And if this is their best foot, I'm inclined to agree with the naysayers.

Not every company needs to start off strong but I cannot fathom why you would not want to. Right now 'new NWA' is establishing itself as 'decent promos, bad wrestling.' It's an interesting approach.
    Well it's not surprising you're going to agree with the naysayers if you ignore my recommendation of watching the videos and not so much the match. The build is literally where all the praise is coming from. That's their USP right now, dragging the NWA into the 21st Century with youtube videos, hooking people in with human interest stories and making the matches free to view to gain more exposure. I guess time will tell if it's a successful model for them.

I've often thought that workrate matters more in this current era of wrestling than it ever does before because that's what most hardcore fans are into, it's easier than ever to access quality wrestling and it's those promotions putting on great shows that are getting support . It's one of the reasons TNA never has any buzz on the internet because they don't produce great matches. I think this might be the exception to the rule because I think most people know they won't see a great match while Tim Storm has the belt, but they'll look past that because the promos are making them care about the result, not the bell to bell. Entertaining matches can come later once Corgan has picked the right successor who hopefully will be much better in the ring. Right now, the interest is in Storm as champion and the NWA introducing all these names the majority of people have never heard of before.

Jocephus feels like a Bray Wyatt knock off without the supernatural elements.

I'd never write a BTB again, but my mind is coming up with scenario's of where I want this Tim Storm thing to go. I want Tim Storm Vs James Ellsworth in Baltimore and Tim Storm Vs Joey Janela at Janela's spring break II.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Well it's not surprising you're going to agree with the naysayers if you ignore my recommendation of watching the videos and not so much the match.
    Even if I watch the build and it's great, it leads to an awful wrestling match that is going to make me regret my time watching the videos (my assumption). I'm not really interested in good promos that lead to nothing, y'know? If I were strictly a promo fan and not a wrestling fan, I'd probably be all-in.

I've often thought that workrate matters more in this current era of wrestling than it ever does before because that's what most hardcore fans are into, it's easier than ever to access quality wrestling and it's those promotions putting on great shows that are getting support . It's one of the reasons TNA never has any buzz on the internet because they don't produce great matches. I think this might be the exception to the rule because I think most people know they won't see a great match while Tim Storm has the belt, but they'll look past that because the promos are making them care about the result, not the bell to bell. Entertaining matches can come later once Corgan has picked the right successor who hopefully will be much better in the ring. Right now, the interest is in Storm as champion and the NWA introducing all these names the majority of people have never heard of before.
    This is all well and good but when your top champion looks like he shouldn't be in a wrestling ring at that level, it makes your promotion look amateur and poorly-run. A good story is fun but, if you wouldn't mind explaining, how do they justify a poor wrestler being the World Champion? Was his win a fluke? Just based on the match I watched, there was no story to justify Nick Aldis being worse than usual and wrestling a poor match, or not completely demolishing this guy. The whole thing comes off as hokey and bad.

That said, I genuinely hope this does well. I would love to see NWA rise to prominence once more and I am a fan of Corgan as an artist and person. But I think a lot of people are going to see the end result of where these great promos lead and decide it isn't worth the emotional investment (for now).

If it were me, I would be going out of my way to make people who are giving NWA a first, second, third, or fourth chance with this, look at us and say "wow, I'm impressed by the promos *AND* the wrestling." Maybe that's a bad idea for some reason, but it seems logical to me.

I'd never write a BTB again, but my mind is coming up with scenario's of where I want this Tim Storm thing to go. I want Tim Storm Vs James Ellsworth in Baltimore and Tim Storm Vs Joey Janela at Janela's spring break II.
    Storm vs Janela at Spring Break II sounds like a waste of Janela at Spring Break II tbh. That needs to happen at a CZW show or something.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Jocephus feels like a Bray Wyatt knock off without the supernatural elements.
    That's what I felt was the flaw of an otherwise very well delivered promo.

"And you know what? Nobody knows who I am..."

And after watching that video, I still have no fucking clue.

He's a bit Bray Wyatt/cult leaderish, but he's also apparently a professor, who loves to hang out in recording studios, and still have access to a VCR. The promo could have benefited from some fine tuning to really hit home who Jocephus is rather than being this hodgepodge of various gimmicks.

Fantastic delivery for a wrestler that likely 99% of the IWC had no idea who he was last week though.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Taking Ed's advice and watching the video's. The story is great and it gets you behind the champion. It's a great story and will lead to a great pay off for the next champion and Storm when he loses. The matches I don't mind if they are bad since it's only the beginning. It'll take time to build your roster and get the good workers again. I hope the best for the NWA, I hear such great things from their glory days and I want to see the company in a place where it can be proud to be.
    Spoiler:

SAY MY NAME

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Even if I watch the build and it's great, it leads to an awful wrestling match that is going to make me regret my time watching the videos (my assumption). I'm not really interested in good promos that lead to nothing, y'know?
    Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes all I'll watch wrestling for is the promos. I'd rather go watch 5 Jay Briscoe promos in a row on youtube right now than watch a single match of his career.

This is all well and good but when your top champion looks like he shouldn't be in a wrestling ring at that level, it makes your promotion look amateur and poorly-run. A good story is fun but, if you wouldn't mind explaining, how do they justify a poor wrestler being the World Champion? Was his win a fluke? Just based on the match I watched, there was no story to justify Nick Aldis being worse than usual and wrestling a poor match, or not completely demolishing this guy. The whole thing comes off as hokey and bad.
    That's sounding too similar to 'how am I supposed to believe Brock Lesnar would lose to THAT guy' type arguments. It's pro wrestling, you can tell any kind of story you want to tell (this isn't the greatest example of that, but still). Maybe Tim Storm is the champion because an even shitter wrestler than him had it before. I mean his win in this match certainly came off like a fluke because he did a roll up counter when Aldis had the advantage, so maybe his thing is he always wins via flukes to keep the dream alive.

I also don't subscribe to your high standards for Nick Aldis as a wrestler in kayfabe who should be winning that match because it's not like he's some awesome wrestler who's high in demand. This is the first time I'd heard about him since GFW first launched years ago so he obviously isn't having the best run of his career. Basically he's younger than him and in better shape, ok, heck I've never seen a wrestler lose with that kind of advantage over someone before.

If it were me, I would be going out of my way to make people who are giving NWA a first, second, third, or fourth chance with this, look at us and say "wow, I'm impressed by the promos *AND* the wrestling." Maybe that's a bad idea for some reason, but it seems logical to me.
    Quite honestly how many promotions do impress viewers for both the promos and the wrestling? Most places it's one or the other, I can only think of NXT and wXw that hits a home run in both categories for me, and even then, I don't think they're as impactful as these promos are. Sure it sounds logical enough to say I'd be aiming for good matches AND good promos if I was in charge, but in practice it's a lot harder to achieve, especially with the pool of talent Corgan probably has right now. I certainly don't know enough about 2017 NWA to know whether we're seeing the best it has to offer, or the worst it has to offer. It's been one match, it's early days and I don't know what he has up his sleeve.

Storm vs Janela at Spring Break II sounds like a waste of Janela at Spring Break II tbh. That needs to happen at a CZW show or something.
    I think for sure Tim Storm is going to end up at Wrestlemania weekend because the fans that know of this movement will be the fans going to those grimy, late night indy shows and he'll milk his 15 minutes of fame over there.

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

It's like you didn't enjoy the build to Flairs retirement, Nat. This should be akin. Storm keeps facing new, younger, more legitimate challengers, each time it gets harder and he doesn't think he can do it. It would really help if they put him in there with really talented people to bump for him and make him look like a million bucks. By the time he loses his belt it should be an NWA branded event with a full card to put over their guy.

This build us has been excellent so far, save the match itself.

Hopefully this guy is better. Reminds me of James Mitchell.
    Last edited by RobyD; 11-17-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Good promos that lead to nothing? What is this, the Lord of the Ring trilogy?

Promos and story is very good and while the match was far from standard, it still had it’s story in place. Stories drive wrestling. This is honestly more captivating than dedicating your promotion to a stable that’s not even yours, or uninspired “dream matches”.

Good. Not great. But good.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

I think if the NWA build up a good young wrestler who can make the title prestigious as well as build Storm's story then the pay off will be huge so that this does lead to something. The question is who though.
    Spoiler:

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

On the their hand, if Corgan really thinks he can get a lot of eyes, and I do, the least he could do is not expose the guy. People are gonna be judging him, so make sure when Dave Meltzer rates your match the people that listen to him watch it. Give him good people to work with.

Sweet Meat

Status

I do think people are being a little harsh on the match anyway. it wasn't good, but it was fine until near the end. Considering who's involved, I certainly wouldn't have expected much better. And as others like Ed established, it has been very much about the characters and the stories. In such a work rate world, I find it extremely refreshing.

Spoiler:

Thread Information