Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The NWA in 2018 - Billy Corgan and David Lagana's Vision

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: The NWA in 2018 - Billy Corgan and David Lagana's Vision

I'd like to see Heel Aries vs. Tim Storm in a cage match.

I just finished watching the Ten Pounds of Gold series and then the Storm title defense against Aldis. The nicest thing I can say about it is also a bit of a backhanded compliment. The series did its very best to make a match that is essentially meaningless, feel as if it's important. I don't know what else they could have done to add interest in the match, particularly in the short time span that they had to work with. The biggest success of the series of videos was getting over Storm as a wrestler and a person. As someone else said, it's hard not to like the guy once you hear about him. Despite the fact that he clearly looks old, he also has such a better look in 2017 than he had earlier in his career. Storm went from looking like a jobber that would wrestle on WWF Superstars of Wrestling to resembling a former star.

The importance of the NWA Title was best signified by Storm. You truly believed that for Storm, that absolutely nothing else could ever be as important as the NWA Title for pro wrestling. When we heard from Aldis, that importance didn't feel believable. You have a guy that at one point was TNA World Champion. Sure, the belt and the company didn't mean as much then as it did in previous years, but it was certainly a bigger deal than the NWA. In addition, you have to assume that Aldis' true goals in wrestling is to be WWE World Champion or possibly even IWGP Champion. This lack of NWA/NWA Title importance in 2017 also caused me to roll my eyes a fair bit in the video series. They named so many great former champions, but all of which first won the title before I was even born. Unfortunately, the legacy of the NWA World Title these days are a bunch of nobodies, like Storm, holding the belt in this modern age. It also doesn't help matters that so many other titles have tried to use the NWA World Title lineage from the WCW World Title, to the WWE World Heavyweight Title, and the TNA World Title. They all have unofficial claims to that lineage, making the official NWA World Title claims feel a bit less significant. At the same time, what could this video series do? Openly admit that the NWA World Title has had little to no value in a decade and its actual glory days ended twenty-five years ago? I don't know. Maybe I would have preferred had they went a little easier on the "The NWA Title means everything in wrestling~!" to save me from holding back laughter when Corgan tried claiming the NWA Title has never been more relevant than it is today.

As for the match, it started off well enough. They worked an older style and it was just fine. A perfectly fine match went downhill quickly after the midway point with both guys looking terrible. Aldis' submission holds look like pure shit with his inability to lean back in the holds to make them actually look painful. Storm didn't offer any moves of interest and seemed utterly exhausted by the end. Things got even worse when multiple botches/awkward spots began to occur including the finish. The match wasn't terrible though, it's just sadly an example of a bout that fell apart beyond the point of salvaging it.

Despite the flaws in both the video series and especially the match, I have to hand it to Corgan and the new NWA for coming up with what they did. In a time span of what...a week? The NWA managed to throw together hype for a build to a match that actually garnered some interest. The NWA Champion, who previously was just name on Wikipedia, is now a "Somebody" to members of the IWC. Along with the last minute hype for the Storm/Jocephus (Which btw, Storm successful defeated Jocephus hours ago), the NWA are showing that if nothing else, they can be relied on to create some pretty interesting and fun videos to hype their title defenses. They easily accomplished far more than they failed in this very early going of the Corgan led NWA.

At this point, I would argue that Corgan should be looking at Wrestlemania weekend to set-up a big title defense where Storm would lose the NWA Title. The time between now and Wrestlemania is the right amount that you can do a lot with Storm, but it also won't overstay its interest. Ending Storm's reign and properly getting the title around the waist of the guy Corgan wants to see lead the NWA with such a crazy crowd as we get every year for the Wrestlemania weekend events sounds perfect.

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Maybe I would have preferred had they went a little easier on the "The NWA Title means everything in wrestling~!" to save me from holding back laughter when Corgan tried claiming the NWA Title has never been more relevant than it is today.
    The Beatles, Elvis and the NWA title. Just as relevant as each other

They did hit that over the head pretty hard, but I guess that's the job of a promoter to talk things up as much as possible. I'm guessing it's just bad blood with TNA and not having any access to that footage that they can use, but it wouldn't hurt them to mention the current WWE Champion AJ Styles was a multi-time NWA Heavyweight Champion just to give it some relevance to modern day wrestling.

Looks like last night wasn't as big of a success because they moved the live facebook feed to a live instagram feed which didn't do anywhere near the same amount of views. Still though, go Tim go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    The Beatles, Elvis and the NWA title. Just as relevant as each other

They did hit that over the head pretty hard, but I guess that's the job of a promoter to talk things up as much as possible. I'm guessing it's just bad blood with TNA and not having any access to that footage that they can use, but it wouldn't hurt them to mention the current WWE Champion AJ Styles was a multi-time NWA Heavyweight Champion just to give it some relevance to modern day wrestling.
    I don't know why they didn't advertise more modern NWA World Champions, especially just cherry picking notable stars like AJ Styles and Tencozy. It's not as if not having video footage is necessary a problem, just show still photos like they did showing some of Aldis' past success. In addition, perhaps getting footage from TNA and even NJPW might be a bit difficult, but all of those guys held the title at smaller NWA shows, which I would assume would be easier to gain the footage from.

Looks like last night wasn't as big of a success because they moved the live facebook feed to a live instagram feed which didn't do anywhere near the same amount of views. Still though, go Tim go.
    Any idea of the peak number of viewers for the live stream?

It'd be completely unfair to expect it to be similar views when there was far less video hype, just a couple of days match awareness compared to a few weeks of awareness for the previous match, and Storm was going up against someone with much smaller name value than Aldis.

The fact that anyone tuned into the match is success enough. Compare the amount of attention and awareness that Storm vs Jocephus brought in and compare that to the awareness that there was for Storm's earlier in 2017 title defense against Big Daddy Yum Yum had. Even Cagematch is unaware of Storm's NWA Title matches, not even listing the match he won the belt in or any defenses other than Aldis and Big Daddy Yum Yum.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

I think the bad first match played a bigger role in the second match flopping than a lot of people who loved the ten pounds of gold vids want to admit. It started out pretty good but turned an embarrassment by the end but especially Magnus because Storm's an old man who's never had big success but Magnus should really be better. I like the promotion and Storm's extremely likable but there's no reason to sugar coat it. If the match quality stays as it is this buzz will die quickly if it already isn't.

Ed are you implying Jay Briscoe's not worth watching in the ring? He's the only person I've ever seen get good matches out of Adam Page & Silas Young. That's crazy
    Punishing evil from her lonely throne! The Imperious Queen of Executions~

Her naked passion exposed for all to see! The Scandalous Superstar Idol~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

I honestly don't understand how the second match flopped. They started the hype train literally a couple days before the match and Storm was set to wrestle an absolute nobody. Why would it have anywhere near the attention as the Storm/Aldis match?

Storm vs Jocephus is just an example of throwing together a tiny bit of hype at the last second because they realized it was something to do as filler.

If literally five people watched the live stream of the match, it's still not a flop to me.

*Edit*

If you're curious about older Storm, it seems as if he has one match on the WWE Network from 2007. He looks a million times better today.

http://network.wwe.com/video/v154929...how&contextId=
    Last edited by Jim; 11-18-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Whose fault is that that they held a title match with so little hype? Shouldn't they protect this legendary title more? Also believe if you got just a good match there would be a lot more interest in the second, not even a great match is a necessary but the second half of that match was a trainwreck.

Also why the hell is there an NWA Title match in Clarksville? This place is one of the biggest dumps in America. A title should never cross this Godforsaken city's path. That alone makes me look at it like a joke title and think NWA's going nowhere. I can't wait to leave this ghetto ass hell hole.

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

THE MAN

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Ed are you implying Jay Briscoe's not worth watching in the ring? He's the only person I've ever seen get good matches out of Adam Page & Silas Young. That's crazy
    You're misquoting me good sir.

I'm saying I'd rather watch one of his promos than one of his matches as an example of me sometimes being in the mood to watch a good promo/segment rather than a good match. He's a great wrestler, but he's the best in his generation at talking and I love going back to watch his promos. I'm saying jay's Promos > jay's matches, not jay's promos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> jay's matches. I never once said he wasn't worth watching in the ring

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    You're misquoting me good sir.

I'm saying I'd rather watch one of his promos than one of his matches as an example of me sometimes being in the mood to watch a good promo/segment rather than a good match. He's a great wrestler, but he's the best in his generation at talking and I love going back to watch his promos. I'm saying jay's Promos > jay's matches, not jay's promos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> jay's matches. I never once said he wasn't worth watching in the ring
    Okay I can get behind that, my bad. I just meant implying.
    Last edited by Zero; 11-18-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Whose fault is that that they held a title match with so little hype? Shouldn't they protect this legendary title more? Also believe if you got just a good match there would be a lot more interest in the second, not even a great match is a necessary but the second half of that match was a trainwreck.
    It's not a big match though. You're trying to compare a PPV level match with Aldis to a match that the champion would have on a weekly show with 30 minutes worth of hype. This was nothing more than just a means of adding a bit more content to the new NWA Youtube channel. As far as protecting the title, I'd say this is protecting the title. As I brought up earlier in this thread, who here even knows about Storm's other NWA Title defenses in the past year? People became aware of this meaningless title defense and its only furthering build Storm up and to keep the NWA Title on people's minds.

If Storm was already set to wrestle Jocephus, you might as well advertise it some rather than allow it to go unaware by everyone that weren't in that building last night.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

The title defenses in the past were nothing. That can't be the measuring stick for a title/match/show or they've already lost. If they want the title to mean something treat it like it means something. Don't have it defended in some ratfuck city with a bunch of animals in the crowd where he's lucky he didn't get shot on his way out of the building and robbed of the title against a slightly improved Bray Wyatt on 3 days build for God's sakes.

Also the match got universally negative reviews from the hundreds watching. 3 different people told me they're done after they were super hyped after the videos. I don't buy him having this match is a positive at all, in literally any way other than making him, the title, & the company look bad. (Still slightly better than before but that doesn't matter)

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status

I think you're being too harsh. The first match was poor, but the hype outweighed the poor match quality. The second match doesn't matter at all. It was a throw away promo for a throw away match. They do need to improve though.

What did we learn here? People like Tim Storm even seem to like the overall production of the YouTube series. But he needs to be protected. So have yourself a tournament. Real small. Four guys. Two matches. Winner gets a shot at the Champ. They have to be good workers or it doesn't work.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RobyD View Post
    I think you're being too harsh. The first match was poor, but the hype outweighed the poor match quality. The second match doesn't matter at all. It was a throw away promo for a throw away match.
    A throw away promo for a throw away match for a throw away company...

Quote Originally Posted by RobyD View Post
    So have yourself a tournament. Real small. Four guys. Two matches. Winner gets a shot at the Champ. They have to be good workers or it doesn't work.
    Why even have good workers? Just book the dirt worst and rely on promos.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Magnus is the man then.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status

A throw away promo for a throw away match for a throw away company...

I'm just saying the promotion has been doin it's thing for like a month and up until now the build has been fantastic and believable, and does genuinely make me want to watch a match for the NWA Championship. They made a huge mistake by putting on that match as early as they did and by having a poor match quality. We don't know, but I'm sure that Billy has learned just from the feedback. It's unanimous. I feel that they might try for a better match next time.

I really enjoy the cross promotion and showing up in other promotions. Kind of nods to the lineage of NWA. Another good piece of promotion with Dreamer and Magnus. I like Dreamer and I think he fits in the NWA but I'm afraid if he's gonna be featured he should be paired with a better worker, and that's not Storm. Magnus isn't bad but he isn't particularly good. I sincerely believe that Storm is the right champion. Why waste the year long Title reign with the story of Tim Storm? I think the key here is getting world class heels to work with him. Woulda been cool to see Austin Aries work with him. Aries is a great heel, and could bounce all over the place with Storm.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Put him in there against SHLAK
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Put him in there against SHLAK
    He’s working Cage of Death so this could happen.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

The dream's over, boys.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

THE MAN

Status

OH FUCK NO

MAGNUS

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Really they wasted the story on Oblivion from Gladiators?
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Thread Information