Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Football Manager 2018 Discussion Thread

Status

Re: Football Manager 2018 Discussion Thread

So I left off that Lobos BUAP save after almost 18 months, mainly because of the money situation. That American Segundo Volante DM made it appealing to keep going, and I could go back to it at some point.

But settled into the good old fashioned save bounce. Started up a save in Russia with Lokomotiv Moscow. That was the big temptation that made me leave off with BUAP. A site I frequent, Russian Football News, released a data update that adjusts a few players, changes some names, adds the third division, etc. It tweaks some Loko players that I didn't want to tweak myself. So I started a save with them. Got a 15 year old first day newgen who is immediately my 2nd best striker and has 5 star potential. Fuck yes. Personality isn't ideal but found a free agent professional personality striker who can mentor him. Signed a couple good young players. Looking good.... and got distracted.

Reading about La Liga made me start thinking about a Malaga save. I haven't managed in La Liga for any length of time for a solid 10 years (I had a fun save with Real Madrid on about FM2006 or 2007). But its an interesting league, the clubs at mid-table level have some outstanding talent, and the foreign player restrictions aren't as bad as they used to be. So that needs to happen at some point. Whether its with Malaga, Deporitvo La Coruna, Betis.... But not just yet.

But watching the La Liga playoffs got me thinking about managing in Mexico. Could go back to that Lobos save, start a new one, start one as Pumas. Pumas might be the best compromise because they aren't great but they start in a much better overall situation than Lobos. The issue I have with managing in Mexico is that the continental competition is pretty boring. Its really not that hard to win the CONCACAF Champions League because the group stage is against minnows from Costa Rica, Honduras, etc. And the knockout rounds are against other Liga MX clubs or maybe MLS sides that rarely have real quality. Playing in the Copa Libertadores is so much more fun.

Speaking of the Copa Libertadores, South America is a strong temptation as well. I've been watching a Twitch streamer (FM_Teach) who manages Argentinos Jr, which is a challenging but interesting club. I've never really done Argentina and want to, but its a matter of picking which club. I started a save with one of the bigger clubs on FM17 (think it was Estudientes) and they seemed to be "too good", if that makes sense. FM Grasshopper posted about a club-building concept called "Fibra" on his blog, which could apply to any club anywhere, but its particularly good for South America, and specifically Argentina. I just need to settle on a club, because they have all interesting dynamics and history. I could also go with a club in Colombia but the main one that interests me is Envigado again and that one is pretty particularly to youth development.

So I started up a save with Pumas yesterday while watching football. They are far from a complete side, and lack quality Mexican players. The save I started gave me 3 first-day newgens that are all 5 star quality, and 2 of them are at need positions. That's pretty awesome to kick off with.

TL/DR - I can't fucking decide on a save, like normal for me.

Status

Self-reply goodness

The Pumas save didn't go too far. I got as far as starting to reshape the backrooms staff, but even with some work to do at the club to make them back into one of Mexico's strongest, the pieces are kinda already in place. Good facilities, good money... you just need to redo the backroom staff, recruit well, and you can be the biggest club in North America. That ended up feeling.... too simple...

I did get far enough with the Lokomotiv Moscow save to buy too many young midfielders and create registration problems. Solvable but just didn't feel like going forward with it.

So I'm back with a new save with Lobos. Something more fun and appealing (at least right now) about starting with a club in that kind of position. I hope to be able to reshape them into something completely new in 2-3 seasons. I thought about going back to the first Lobos save - mainly because of the American DM newgen - but I'd kinda like to start from scratch. That first save made me realize my financial expectations were off a bit and my timeline needs to be longer. Another reason for starting a new save - fewer leagues, which keeps things from slowing down as much if I do get a few years in. I had quite a few European leagues loaded up in the first one, along with Mexico (3 leagues deep), the US, and all of South America. This time, I only loaded up the biggest European leagues (and Russia lol).

So the other night, I fired up a new Lobos save. And another. And another. I wanted to see if I could get a start where Lobos got a decent first-day newgen, as the club doesn't have much to start with otherwise. And 3 different start-ups had at least one. One had a DM (my preferred prospect position), one an AMC, and one with 2 - an AMC and a WBL. I ended up going with the first save. The DM prospect isn't on the same level as the American one in the other save - more a 3-4 star prospect rather than a 5 star prospect. Doesn't have the same starting quality, the same potential, or an ideal personality. But he's Mexican and club-produced so... yay! Should still make for a nice Segundo Volante once he develops a bit.

One of the reasons I wanted to try another save with Lobos... fibra. As I mentioned, I've been watching FM_Teach on Twitch with his Argentinos Jr save and reading Grasshopper's Estudientes save. They both use this idea. The intent is to build hard-working, defensive sides replicating the classic Esudientes side so the late 60s and early 70s. The originators of anti-futbol lol. While the intent is not necessarily to replicate the truly negative aspects of that approach, a really hard-working, aggressive, and defensive side can be really successful in Football Manager. And while I eventually want to build the Lobos squad to be very fast, technical, and attacking, its a long long way from having that kind of quality in the squad. The application of Fibra, as presented by Grasshopper, is to look at specific attributes for every player to build a "club DNA". In this case, its Aggression, Bravery, Team Work, and Work Rate. Those four attributes added up should equal at least 55 for every player. If its a younger player who will still develop, the threshold is a bit lower. Its a concept you can apply toward almost any type of side you want to build by adjusting the particular attributes. Not sure how far I will be able to go with it, because I'm not going to have tons of money and Mexico only has so many players of that type, let alone ones who will be free. But its a fun approach.

Another upside to being more defensive is that I'm a bit less worried about pace. The 4-2-3-1 deep-deep approach I was using before had a press and a high line, meaning slow central defenders can be a real liability. But I'm switching up the same formation to a more structured approach, narrow and dropping back. So pacey central defenders matter less. So I was able to find a slow veteran Argentine defender (name escapes me) who has loads of fibra. First friendly was a 5-0 win which really means nothing, but I didn't expect to score freely with a more defensive approach, even against crap opposition.

This should be a save I can further with. Its got me excited to plan and looking forward to being able to get back to the PC. Three day weekend coming up, so hoping I can dig in. And have more to say to myself.

Status

So finished the first season with Lobos BUAP. Did quite well. Stuck with the defensive approach for the first few months, then started to switch it up to a more open and attacking Fluid style, switching back and forth depending on opponent.

After the first season, its rebuild time. This was where the first save with them kinda tanked. I figured I would get a bunch of money from sponsors, providing at least a solid amount of money to spend, and it was really disappointing when the transfer budget was so minimal. But this time, I was prepared. I managed to grab a couple of Argentine players - two fairly versatile defenders and a veteran striker. The striker was almost purely so he could mentor a 6'6" Mexican kid I stole from the 2nd division. I also kept the 38 year Argentine center back with terrible pace I signed for the first season (he's probably moving to Anchor Man as a backup), partly so he could mentor since his personality is idea. And I resigned Maza, the veteran Mexican defender who was club captain in the first season but only on loan. He won't play a ton so I hope he's happy as a backup. I've tried applying the fibra model, but in a lot of cases, I'm going after veteran players more for personality so they can tutor than for what they add on the pitch. And youth prospects is still about potential as I can't afford (literally) to be too picky just yet.

I wasn't able to spend much money on any one player, but I snagged a couple of American youngsters on frees and signed a half dozen Mexican prospects from second division clubs for 50-200K apiece, but almost all of those were deals with very little up front and most of it spread out. Most are 3 1/2 to 4 star prospects, so potential to develop into nice players. I have an American right winger with 5 star potential - he's 18 and my starter this season. The DM prospect who was with the club from day one is my first choice Segundo Volante (he doesn't score freely like the American DM in the same role on the other save, but he's starting to get some goals). The other DM is another 18 year old and their backup is a 17 year old. I am rotating through a pair of 18 year old MCs. Basically, my veteran left winger aside, my 5-man midfield is mostly 18 year old kids. That worries me a bit. But they should develop from the experience.

I have an 18 year center back I'm starting to give first team matches to and a 16 year old rightback who will be getting matches soon. I don't have a leftback of any quality at all in the side - using a rightback over there. And I have too many center backs, but only a couple really fit the level. Goalkeeper is a mess - two declining vets. I have two South American keepers of potential coming in - Venezuelan and Ecuadorian, I think. Neither are ready to start and both need to be mentored (don't have anyone to mentor lol). As for strikers, my original two continue to score goals despite being a bit limited for the level. The 6'6" kid may never develop enough to be of real use. A solid striker might be the first purchase I make once I have some money to spend - hopefully in the summer of 2019.

England won the World Cup, so FM18 is clearly fucked up.

I have a bit more youth in the side than I really like. Well, I love having prospects, but having to rely on them heavily is a bit concerning. At the same time, knowing that playing regularly should see them improve rapidly. I could have an epic side in 2 to 3 seasons if I can hang onto most them. Some will want to leave, I'm sure. Especially if there is interest from Europe. But at least I should get decent money if they do leave. In my FM17 Pumas save, I had a wonderkid rightback that came thru the youth system at the club kick up a fuss after being first choice for 2 seasons so I sold him to Man United for 25m plus a sell on fee. We are still losing money, but less. So a big fee would make a difference. We will be playing in the CONCACAF Champions League but they are switching formats so there are no matches until the start of 2019, so still a few months away. Should be easy to get out of the group stage, since its group of 3 and you are against clubs from Panama, Honduras, Jamaica, etc. its not huge money even for winning it, but even a few million makes a difference to the club at this point. I haven't been able to improve the training or youth facilities yet, just recruitment and junior coaching. And those still suck. Long term, maybe cool to be able to build a new stadium. We rarely fill the current one, which is the smallest in the league.

GMT Baby

Status

Picked up FM18 on eBay via questionable means for £5 (I can only play in offline mode)...

Started a career as the boys (Plymouth Argyle). Played about 10 league games and I have found my home and away form to be absolute polar opposites. 3 wins and 2 draws at home, 1 draw and 3 defeats on the road. Think this is my first dive into anything lower than 2nd tier so still getting used to the lower stats etc and determining what is good for that level.

Status

Not just dancing with myself in here for once!

It definitely seems like they have upped the home advantage on FM18 compared to previous versions. Away from home, it helps to have a much more conservative tactic and be willing to take a draw. But that still requires having players with the determination to hold out for the full 90.

So my second Lobos BUAP save is probably done. Made it thru 2 seasons and it was fun. But the finances still really didn't improve. Got a takeover midway through the 2nd season, which wiped out the chunk of debt. But they didn't pump a ton more money into the club and we are losing money. I was really hopeful that the new sponsorship deals for the third season would be more lucrative but they are really just the same. Which is strange, to the point that I put in a bug post at the SI forum. I've never seen sponsorships stay so static when the club reputation has gone up notably, and where similar reputation clubs are getting deals several times the value. Part of it could be because Lobos start without an individual TV deal - which is accurate, because they didn't land one. But then they never seem to get one, and that can be like 15-20m a season for a top club in Mexico. A huge part of the operating budget.

Its tempting to continue because we've done well, won the CONCACAF Champions League so Club World Cup coming up, and the squad has tons of young players who are developing. So far, most of the transfer interest has been bigger Mexican clubs going after my 2nd tier prospects - who they can have if they pay up a bit, but I'm getting offers of 10K and 20K for a 3-star potential 17 year old. Get fucked with that. With the finances being a mess, I'm worried that big clubs from Portugal and the like will start coming in for the bigger players. The club reputation and the player value should prevent ridiculous offers, but I'm just worried that a 5m offer might make the board accept over my head. When the player should be worth 4 or 5 times that. In a way, selling a star is the fastest way to balance the books, but we don't have the quality depth to really compensate for it.

If the sponsorship thing is a bug, it won't be fixed all that soon. And it make continuing that Lobos save unlikely, as well as takes away the interest in continuing that one.

I spent some time over the weekend looking at other save options. Went so far as to start up a Betis save, and I've looked hard at Athletic Bilbao. Such a jump in quality and Spain has LOADS of quality young players. The foreign player rules aren't as restive as they used to be. Betis has a pretty huge stadium and strong attendance, plus a good youth system. Even has Joaquin, an old favorite of mine from the very first FMs I ever played. Put a bit of time into the save but it just didn't grab me fully, which is why I ended up going back to Lobos for a few more matches.

So Spain is a possibility, whether Betis or someone else. Germany, maybe with Ingoldstad in the 2nd division. The Netherlands with Heracles has some appeal. Still wanna try Argentina, but I'm not sure I want to be so limited in player choice (at least in regard to nationality). Not really feeling another foray into Colombia at this point. Somehow Mexico is still the most appealing option, but Lobos can't really work at the moment. Club America is probably the other most appealing club, but they are "too easy" in some ways. Same with Pumas, though they are a definitely step down with regard to talent. I need to spend some time tonight poking through other clubs in Liga MX and see if anyone else appeals to me.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Enjoying the read Big Papa.

Bilbao save could be interesting with their basque rule and the young talent they have with the likes of Inaki Williams who I imagine is a beast on the game.

I'll be playing this around the Christmas and New Year period a lot I imagine. Me and some friends are planning on a multiplayer game so I'll likely track that here for those that are interested.
    Prepare for the.. BACKLASH!

...COMING SOON, TO THE "BTB" SECTION!

*** CREDIT TO THE LOOCHA BEAR FOR THE GRAPHIC ***

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

So, FM 18 was one of my presents from Santa this year and I've started playing it recently. I never played FM 17 and I know there's quite a few changes so I started a save with Man United just to test things out and get used to the new screens and options.

I haven't really gone too far into the save and I've not really changed to much but I'll update as I go along!

First thing I did was change the backroom duties a little. I've got Sir Alex scouting and bringing in young talent for the future. I also hired both the Neville brothers and added them to my coaching team. I decided to keep Rui Faria as my assistant but I did toy with the idea of bringing in Ryan Giggs.

Transfers out:

- I sold Fellaini for 18 million to Monaco. I've never liked him and he didn't fit my style. I felt the deal was good value and was happy to see him go.

- I sent Wilson on loan to QPR, Mitchell to Wigan and Tuanzebe who looks a massive prospect to Wolves. I did think about keeping all three of them in and around the first team but decided that the game time was more important for them and so loaned them out for first team football.

- I sold Ashley Young to Brighton for 4 million. Again, I was fairly happy with this deal mostly to the age of Ashley Young.

Transfers in:

I made my priorities a LB, CM and RM. I only managed to get two of them but I'm fairly happy.

- I signed Cresswell from West Ham for 30 Million. 20 Million upfront and 10 Million in future instalments. I'm happy to have him- He's exactly what I wanted stats wise and he's a good fit for the Premier League and will be a good rotation option with Luke Shaw. I paid too much though but the market is hard on this game, especially buying from English clubs.

- I signed Jean Seri from OGC Nice for 25 Million after a good scout report. Very happy with this one. I think it will turn out to be great business and my plan was to play him alongside Pogba with Matic holding in a midfield three. He's got good energy to play a pressing game too.

- I signed Andre Gomes on loan from Barcelona. This was mostly due to a great scout report and Pogba was the only really creative midfielder I had in the team. I'll use him for rotation and cup games. I've also got a clause where I can sign him for under 8 Million at the end of the season. Pretty good business.

- Mitch Van Bergen was also signed but that was down to Sir Alex Haha! Good young prospect and I'm happy to see how he develops. I've placed him in my under 18 team and the reports have come back good with him picking up a couple of MOTM performances.

As for the RM, sadly it was not to be. I didn't really have the money available to splash on a big name and I didn't want to sign anyone for the sake of it. I've looked at Malcom at Bordeaux and Lucas Moura from PSG and two options that I'll keep an eye on. I also signed up Angel Gomes to a new deal and have him learning from Mkhitaryan. I flirted with the idea of selling Mata to Madrid and buying Ozil as Madrid were linked with Mata. A bid never arrived and I didn't want to force it and risk upsetting the squad and be left with an unhappy Spaniard Haha!

So I started the season pretty badly! I won all my friendlies but lost the Super Cup to Madrid 4-0 without a shot on target and then despite dominating Everton I lost 1-0 in the first game and home game of the season. Frustrating. A penalty in the 78th minute and I couldn't break them down. I had no Lukaku or Zlatan due to injuries.

The formation I went with in these games were.. 4-4-3 with a holding DM.

De Gea
    Velencia Smalling Lindelof (Bailly suspended for Madrid but returned for Everton) Cresswell
    Matic
    Pogba Seri
    Mihki as the RM as advanced playmaker and then Martial on the LM as an inside forward.
    Rashford up front.

Madrid we were terrible but against Everton we look good so from then on. I've changed the tactics and altered the team slightly. I know longer play Matic as the holding DM and instead have Herrera alongside Pogba and Seri as a midfield three. Good energy and passing. Mihki has adapted well as the Advanced playmaker on the right while Martial has been on fire as the inside forward with like 7 goals in 9 games, I believe. Big Rom has gone up top and I've looking to cross it in early at every chance. He's kind of struggled but he does have 5 goals in 7 games. His first goals were a hatrick against Liverpool which was perfection and then he scored another two in the same game. Aside from them- He's been poor but I can't complain too much.

I'm 2nd in the league with Leicester unbeaten on top! They couldn't do it again could they?! Haha! I've only lost the one game and have only drawn one in the league too. I was 2-0 down against Swansea and came back to 2-2 which I'll take! Highlight was beating Juve 1-0 away in the champions league with 32% possession (Yep, parking the bus! LOL!) and beating Liverpool 5-2 at home which was a class result.

Low points would be the Madrid super cup game, Everton at home and then I did lose my second Champions League game 1-0 to Hoffenheim Basel are the other team in my group. I also lost to Sheffield Wednesday in the carabao cup first round after making plenty of changes and given a few youngsters a go. One of which is Gribbon who looks a great talent and is now in and around my first team.

So yeah.. Mixed start but I'll take it. Will update again soon and sorry for the long post Haha!
    Last edited by Deco90; 01-05-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

Got FM Touch on NYE. Starting a United save now as well. Will update soon.

Be Prepared For Hell

Status

Anyone know of a European or World Superleague?

Status

No need to apologize for a long post, Deco. Pretty much the norm in here.

FM Scout is probably the best site for mods and such at this point, Ant. Saw a world league editor file the other day but didn't look into what its structure is.

So started up another save in Mexico, this time with Club America. Was gonna go with Pumas, but just randomly decided to go with America instead. A lot more quality than Pumas to start with. A couple of legitimately really good players, and some top prospects. Also got a 5 star newgen day one, so that's fun.

Still think I will give a save in Spain a go before too long, but hoping I can get a little bit into this save before I do that. Watching Celta draw with Real Madrid yesterday brought that temptation forward again. Such quality in Spain - but you also have to deal with a couple of the biggest and best sides in the world. Over the weekend, I randomly started up with Brighton & Hove, for no particular reason, then Hull City. An outright lower league save isn't appealing, but a second division club in a big league like England with money and talent.... that's something I might need to do at some point.

The Franchise.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I’ve started a career on this with my favourite German club VfL Osnabruck. Really enjoying this game so far. Few little gripes about actual game day graphics seems playing games takes longer now and in game screens annoy me/ look poor

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

So quick update after 15 games with my United save I've played 15 Premier League games. 11 Wins, 2 Draws, 2 Losses. I am top of the league with 35 points and closest to me is Leicester in second place with 29 so I'm fairly happy with the start. Losses came with the first game of the season to Everton and then I lost to Southampton about three games ago 4-3 though I was 4-1 down.. :/ So close!

Martial has been a sensation with 11 Prem goals and is the top scorer in the league with Mihki as the main creator with 7 assists from RM as the Advanced Playmaker.

I've pretty much stuck with the 4-3-3 formation with a combination of Pogba, Herrera and Serri as the three central midfield combo and then with Martial and Mihki having the license to roam and attack with big Rom upfront leading the line. Valencia and Shaw have been my main full backs and then the CB's have been changed around with Lindelof and Jones as one combo and then Eric Bailly and Smalling as my second CB combination. De Gea obviously in goal.

Champions League has been a surprise! I'm second in my group with Juve, Hoffenheim and Basel as the competition. Now, I'm sure everyone would pretty much assume I'd go through with Juve maybe topping the group? Nope! I'm second on level points with 10 and Hoffeinheim are top via head to head as they beat me and I've got them to play in the final game. So, Juve are out and into the Europa League and it's all to play for to top the group!

Not too much else to say at this point really. I've continued to scout options and I'm following the situation with Sanchez & Ozil at Arsenal. Ozil is on the transfer list and neither are signing new deals anytime soon. I'd certainly be looking at Sanchez come the end of the season. Coming up December now and the board have announced they will make £75 Million available to me should I want to spend it due to healthy finance situation and wage structure so that's pretty awesome. I'm looking at Lucas Moura as my main target and I might use Blind in the deal going the other way as he's been the first player and only currently that I've fallen out with and banished to the reserves. PSG have shown interest so I'm hopeful to strike a deal.

Other options are Malcom and Asensio who is on the transfer list for a cool fee of 35mil I think.. Good value! We'll see!

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Update:

So I've now finished my first season as United manager. January ended up being a pretty quite transfer period for me as I decided that I would stick with what I already had and not making any real big moves in the market. I did sign Arthur for £11 Million from Gremio who did well for me and looks pretty impressive! I also ended up signing Deloufeu from Barcelona on loan to cover the RM position and go with a winger when I wanted to switch out Mihki and rest him. I then sold Marcos Rojo to a Chinese team for £26 Million! He wasn't playing for me and the deal was too good to turn down.

Competition wise I did better then I thought I would. I crashed out early of the Carabao Cup and went out to Man City in the Semi-Finals of the FA Cup during extra time which was a blow but I managed to win the Premier League comfortably with games to spare and then won the Champions League!! Champions League win surprised but I did get some awesome draws. I think PSG was the only real big club I faced in the Semi-Finals and lost 3-2 away from home before winning the home game 4-0 impressively! They also had Neymar & Mbappe injured for the second leg game. In the final I then ended up playing Sevilla who knocked out Barca and ran out 3-0 winners with like 32% possession Haha!

Premier League results were: Played 38 Won 26 Drew 8 Lost 4 and finished with 86 points. My final two games of the season I pretty much rested all my key players and ended up playing kids like Angel Gomes, Van Bergen & Gribban among others.

Ended up signing a new long term deal and brought in Evra & Carrick to my coaching team. Both players were retiring and I snapped them up.

Transfers for the new season:

- Sir Alex signed Kik Pierie for me for under £5 Million and has gone into my Under-17's and will develop.

- I signed Lucas Torreira from Sampdoria for £20 Million. Had really good scout reports and good stats for the role I wanted him for and that's Box to Box to allow me to rotate with Herrera & Serri when I decide to especially with even more games to come this season.

- I also signed Memphis Depay and brought him back to United for £18 Million which is great value but I guess a gamble. I wanted Sanchez but he turned me down and joined City for more money despite them not even finishing in the top four and so Depay was second choice and can play on both wings which is what I wanted and is obviously younger.

- I sold Chris Smalling for £25 Million to Everton. He never really did that well for me and I was only looking to move him on but he came to me and wanted a new challenge so off course it worked out well and I got good value for him, I think.

- Carrick retired and joined my coaching team.

- Blind went on a free to Valencia. He was the only player I fell out with and I banished him to the reserves.

- Zlatan wanted to stay and a part of me wanted to keep him but he wouldn't drop his wages demands and his age was a concern so I released him and will look to bring him back as a coach one day, hopefully.

- I've loaned out a couple of players like Van Bergen, Gribbin, Wilson and others.

I'm looking at possibly adding another Striking option with Moussa Dembele of Celtic being scouted and I wanted another DM with Partey from Atleti being my first option and I had a deal of £10 Million agreed but he couldn't get a work permit :/ I'll also look to sign possibly another CB or a RB.

I've got Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah back from loan and intend to break one of them into the First team this season and so which ever I loan out, I'll buy cover for that option with Axel being a centre back and Fosu-Mensah likely to be a RB option for me. I also have Andreas Perreira back from loan and I'm hoping to also involve him going forward.

I'm going to keep this United save and I'll likely stick with them till I stop playing the game. In addition I'm going to maybe start a new one where I'll move around and try other clubs. I'm thinking of possibly starting with AC Milan and building them back up! We'll see.

Status

Keep meaning to post about my save. In typical fashion, I've save-jumped too much. But I'm now three years into a save in Mexico with Lobos BUAP. In the summer of 2020 and debating whether or not to keep going with it.

Lobos BUAP are the smallest club in Liga MX to start with. About 80% of their playing squad is on loan from other clubs. They don't have a lot of money, they lose money, and the reputation means the sponsorships aren't that lucrative. Clubs in Mexico are rich and have strong attendances - but its the league money and the gates aren't what make them rich. Big sponsor deals is what tends to. In two previous attempts with BUAP, the sponsorship deals didn't grow that fast and the finances didn't work. That was supposed to be tweaked so I started again. Despite the relative gap in quality, its not that hard to do well in Mexico with Lobos or any other the other sides.

The tactic I use is a 4-2-3-1 with two DMs and the middle three in the MC strata. I tend to use Standard or Counter, but its Very Fluid and uses a High Press. Its quite similar to the 4-1-4-1 I used on FM17, but with DMs, I can use a Seguno Volante, which is epic fun with the right player. Against tougher opposition, I've just been dropping the defensive line from Very High to Very Low and removing the off side trap. I meant to tinker more tactically in this save but hasn't really happened. But its working, so.....

Really enjoy youth development but the club has no good prospects to start, and isn't likely to bring anything thru. I did manage to locate several first day newgens of quality that I signed up. several were Mexican - which is important because of the way the foreign player limits work in Liga MX - but also a couple of Americans and several South Americans. A Colombian, two Argentines, a Uruguayans, and a Brazilian. The Brazilian winger was the best of the bunch, a legit 5 star prospect. They range in ages from 15 to 17. But for the South Americans, they can't join until 18. Since they are unattached, they can be "on trial" until they join. The Brazilian was 15 at the start so he couldn't join until December 2019. Tiny and two-footed, he didn't have a lot of standout skills (besides Flair) but also few weaknesses. He developed really well, but was only a left winger to start. Two-footed so started retraining him as a right winger. Then, since his skillset is pretty rounded, as a rightback and then a leftback. He was legit my best player by the time he joined, and immediately got the Wonderkid tag as soon he officially joined the club, after training with us for 2.5 years.

Done well. Won the CONCACAF Champions League in 2019, which isn't that hard. The MLS clubs are either mediocre or unbalanced, and then Liga MX opposition I'm used to. Got to the go to the 2019 Club World Cup. Made it to the final against Manchester United. Figured on getting worked but we took it to Extra Time but they scored a really late winner. Bastards.

The lack of quality in the squad means the youngsters get a chance and that tends to mean development. Snagged an 18 year old Bolivan newgen keeper on a free (love amateur contracts) and he became my immediate #1. One of those day one newgen Mexicans had been my starting rightback. In the summer of 2019, I got an offer from RB Leipzig. Something like 24m up front, 5m over time, and two more 5m clauses. I needed the money, since sponsorships still weren't bringing in enough and I was losing about 400K per month, even after a board takeover. I also had a replacement in house so off he went. Was able to spend some of that money on a couple more Mexican newgens, as well as two Brazilians - an AMC and a defender. The AMC joined at the start of 2020 and the defender in the summer.

So won the CL again, which means another shot at the Club World Cup. But now that I'm the summer of 2020, I'm debating whether I want to continue. 3 seasons is as far as I've made it in any save in the past few versions. The club is really well set up - I have quality newgen players all over the pitch. The big issue is that bigger clubs are starting to covet them. The American DM who is my Segundo Volante is wanted by some German clubs. My GK and DLP are wanted by Portuguese clubs. Any my star striker is being chased by a host of German clubs. Its inevitable, I guess. And the money helps. But replacing these youngsters is going to be tough. Especially the Mexican ones. Of that group of first-day Mexican newgens, there were three strikers. Two were retrained to be wide mids (where they have been surprisingly potent) and one has stayed as a striker. He didn't play in season 1, rotated in season 2, and dominated in season 3. Something like 29 goals in 34 matches. Nothing about his skillset suggests he should be beastly - good physicals (everything 13 to 16) and really nice Workrate and Teamwork, but his Finishing was only 9 (its jumped to 11) when he started scoring for fun. His value is now 9.5m and I just got a news story saying HSV want to do a deal for him.... worth as much as 10.5m! Yes, FM, because I'm going to sell him for 10% above his listed value. If they offer 30 or 40m, I would probably have to really consider it, same as with the rightback.

Would like to keep one of these kids long enough and see them develop into a genuine world class player. Its possible in a smaller league but never easy. The big barrier I'm facing right now is really just boredom and repetition. Getting into the playoffs and then winning them isn't that hard at that point. Seeing some of the quality newgens produced in nations that I can't really take players from - they just aren't interested - has me mulling whether I want to continue this save or not. Instead of doing anything in the save last night, I poked around other leagues. Lokomotiv Moscow and Vitesse Arnheim are both appealing. I really want to do a Bundeligsa save as well, but I cannot settle on the club. I go back and forth between Ingolstadt (start in the 2.Bundesliga) and Freiburg. This has been a few fun save, but just don't how much it has left to offer.

Thread Information