Thread: PROGRESS Chapter 52 - Vote Pies Review

Progress Wrestling PROGRESS Chapter 52 - Vote Pies Review

PROGRESS 52 - Vote Pies
    July 23, 2017

I would skip over these Jim Smallman segments, but he seems like such a lovely bloke that I can’t help but watch them. This opening involves a guy surprising his girlfriend in the middle of the ring with a proposal. She says “Fuck yes!” and we have the most positively received wedding proposal in wrestling for 2017. One could even say this was progress in their relationship? I’ll see myself out…

CCK vs Banter Edition vs Extra Talent-ed
    I’ve never even seen the team of Aaron Solow and Ricky Starks before, but I hate them already due to their stupid name. I’m still fuzzy over the whole Origin faction or if it’s even still a faction, but apparently the team of El Ligero and Dave Mastiff are the fun-loving babyface members of the Origin. I saw Mastiff in the great Thunderbastard match earlier in the year. Depending on which uncompleted review gets posted first, this will either be my first or second review posted featuring El Ligero, although it’s just my second time seeing him in action. Another feel good moment happened before the match as everyone sings happy birthday to the big guy. This was wild and out of control. Without any tags being enforced, everyone was free to hit one crazy spot after another for the entire duration of the match. The result is that I was bored out of my skull. Extra Talent-ed may have a stupid name, but they seem like they could have some talent. Seeing the dynamic between El Ligero and Mastiff makes me wish they were in CCK’s spot in feuding with BSS. So many of the spots looked contrived and both men involved needing to work together to set it up. As uninteresting as that is, the finish is even worse. CCK looks to have the match won on Ligero when Extra Talent-ed breaks up the Brookes cover. They attempt to cover Ligero, but the referee refuses. Absolutely nothing happens for a couple of minutes before it’s just announced that CCK won. Apparently Brookes did get the pinfall on Ligero that Extra Talent-ed tried to break up. If the plan was for CCK to win, regardless of who made the botch, the referee should have just informed Brookes to randomly pin someone quickly to fix the finish. Garbage ending. * ½

After the match, Brookes attacks Extra Talent-ed with some chair strikes and challenges them to a tag match at the next show.

Mike Bird vs Tyson T-Bone
    T-Bone! I remember you! Truthfully, as nice as it is seeing another WWE UK Tournament guy for the first time since the tournament, after impressing me at PROGRESS 51, I was hoping Bird would be given another quality opponent to further show what he can do. It’s not to say this match was bad or anything. It was a very physical match with both men getting in plenty of offense on the other before T-Bone pinned Bird with a bit of a variation of the old Steiner Screwdriver, but instead landing with a normal Tombstone instead of a sitdown version. Bird’s losing streak apparently continues. Poor guy. Hopefully this is leading up to something for Bird and he’s not just a PROGRESS jobber. Meanwhile, the tease of T-Bone challenging for the Atlas Title soon could be pretty interesting since WALTER is incapable of looking bad. A perfect fine mean man undercard bout. ** ½

Toni Storm © vs Laura Di Matteo - PROGRESS Women’s Title
    First time seeing Di Matteo. Look wise, she reminds me of that woman in NXT with the MMA gimmick. I’m having to look up the name, but apparently it’s Sonya Deville. I didn’t go into this with very high expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised. Most of the praise goes to Di Matteo for slowly upping the aggression of the match. At one point she hit three straight suicide dives in her attempt to get the victory. I’m still not a fan of Storm’s butt-based offense, but she’s actually perfectly fine when she’s fighting from beneath. The spot of the match went to Di Matteo when she knocked Storm’s head off of her shoulders with a super kick as claimed by the commentators, but it looked more like a knee strike to me. Whatever it was, it looked great. Di Matteo’s ultimate downfall is that she just had to stop and signal towards the PROGRESS Women’s Title, instead of worrying about beating Storm first. That gave Storm the chance to very quickly put Di Matteo away with a piledriver to retain the title. A good match that allowed Di Matteo to look good in defeat. *** ¼

Travis Banks vs Matt Riddle
    Holy shit. This sounds fucking awesome.This was everything I hoped it would be and more. Since there really isn’t a story attached to it, Riddle and Banks did what they do best - beat the fuck out their opponent. To give you an idea of how physical this match was, Riddle came into this encounter with his hair in cornrows. By the middle point of the match, the cornrows are destroyed and Riddle is rocking some cocker spaniel-like hair. Some of the sequences were fantastic as they both countered each other multiple times. One such spot saw Riddle counter the Slice of Heaven into an ankle lock, which actually had me believing that Riddle would get the victory. Yet, Banks countered that into the Lion’s Clutch, which again had me believing that would be the finish. The action was in and out of the ring. Plenty of big time kick outs including Banks kicking out of a jumping tombstone at just an one count, which was just insane. If there is a downside to the match, it’s that Pete Dunne came out to distract Banks, allowing Riddle to hit what looked like a knee to pin Banks. I wanted it to be distraction free, but I get it. Banks can’t really lose cleanly as he’s the #1 contender and Riddle already just lost cleanly at the last two shows in his title loss to WALTER and the Super Sweet Sixteen semi-finals to Tyler Bate. So you can’t beat Riddle again. After the distraction from Dunne allowed for a bit more heat for the upcoming PROGRESS 55 meeting between Dunne and Banks. I don’t like the finish, but I understand why it was necessary. Still, this was fucking amazing. One of the most fun PROGRESS matches I’ve watched. We need to see a rematch between these two. **** ½

Chuck Mambo vs Zack Gibson vs Chief Deputy Dunne vs Jack Sexsmith
    Something tells me that this won’t be as physical as the previous match. This could have easily been a tag match with how Mambo and Sexsmith are all about fun while Dunne and Gibson hate fun. In some ways this resembled the opening match with it being spot heavy, but it did it the right way. For one, it felt a lot less pre-planned. The other is that there was a bit of story to it. The feud between Sexsmith and Gibson continued after Gibson eliminated Sexsmith from the Thunderbastard match, but Sexsmith upset Gibson in the Super Strong Sixteen tournament. There was a lot of interaction between the pair including Gibson nearly getting the victory over Sexsmith and Sexsmith pulling out another upset with a small package victory over Gibson. Kinda surprised Dunne didn’t win this match with his surprise victory at the last show over Flash Morgan Webster, but at least he wasn’t the one pinned here. It’s the first match after intermission and meant to cool the audience down after the huge Banks/Riddle match, but it was still fun. ** ¾

Pete Dunne © vs Eddie Dennis - Non-Title
    In some ways, this was a great match. In other ways, it was garbage. I loved the basic story of the underdog Dennis not only hanging in there with the champion, but coming extremely close to beating Dunne, to the point where he had the pinfall, but the referee had been knocked out. One of the problems is that the match went on for too long. I was surprised to learn it only went twenty-one minutes long before it felt way longer. They booked this match out to be a big main event level bout, but it seemed like a waste since this is just Eddie Dennis. Granted, I’m new to PROGRESS, but I don’t see the point in treating Dennis as if he’s a top guy like Mark Haskins, Jimmy Havoc, ect. Dennis would go on to kick out of the Bitter End, have the match seemingly won with the ref bump, countered the Bitter End, and it ultimately took Dunne a sledgehammer shot, a Pedigree, and the Bitter End to finally beat Dennis. Holy shit. For a match that seemed like it’d be a nothing bout and and easy victory for Dunne, it greatly exceeded and came across like it was a big deal. However, and I don’t meant to keep knocking on the guy, but all of this was to put over Eddie f’n Dennis. As strong as the story was, it did expose him for the limited skills that he has. He does have great strikes though. I feel very conflicted on this. In some ways it’s a five star classic and in other ways it’s a trainwreck. Ultimately, I have to give Dunne a huge amount of credit for being able to make this as good as it was with Dennis as his opponent. *** ½

British Strong Style © vs War Machine - Texas Tornado Rules - PROGRESS Tag Titles
    After watching the match, I have to say I would have probably enjoyed it more had it just been a standard match. Especially with the size difference between Bate and War Machine, there was potential for some pretty fun stories to be told. Instead, the two teams had a war in and out of the ring. At points, it was great. Even after all I’ve watched from Bate in the last month+, he still finds ways to impress me. Here he managed to pick Hanson up for the airplane spin, not only was Bate successful, but he even managed to squat and then lift Hanson back up to spin him the other way. For a guy so small, Bate is a freak of nature. Although they ended up not doing the spot, I would have loved to have seen War Machine body slammed the referee on top of Mustache Mountain. Like the Dunne match, they did a lot of overbooking in order to have BSS win, but I thought they handled it much better there. There wasn’t a ref bump, instead BSS used the rules to their advantage. In a nice touch, Seven tried finding a sledgehammer under the ring, but since Dunne had used it in the previous match, it was no longer where it was supposed to be. That forced BSS to call an audible and use the tag titles to hit War Machine with BSS ultimately winning with a Seven Pedigree with Bate (Sorta) placing a title under Hanson’s head. Really good, but not quite the great match that it could have been. BSS continue to remain a highlight of PROGRESS. *** ½

Overall
    Early on, I was starting to think that this could be an underwhelming with the awful opening match, the average second match, and knowing that a Toni Storm title defense and Pete Dunne being wasted on Eddie Dennis still to come made for a weak sounding show. Yet, the Toni Storm title defense was the turning point of the show, having a much better match than expected. Without knowing if Travis Banks was booked and if he was, who he would face, it was a great surprise to learn that I had a Banks/Riddle match to watch. These two had a war and was easily one of my favorite PROGRESS matches thus far. As I noted, I felt pretty conflicted about Dunne/Dennis. I suppose it’s very possible that with my limited knowledge of Dennis, I’m greatly downplaying his significance to the company. Regardless of his spot in the company before PROGRESS 52, I would hope that PROGRESS would have enough sense to do something notable with him afterward so that the Dunne match wasn’t a waste. The other BSS match was equally good, but again, I would have preferred to see a normal tag match between BSS/War Machine.

I don’t know if this is common with PROGRESS and I’m only just now realizing it due to how I’ve been watching, but I noticed there were quite a few notable stars that did not work this show. Off of the top of my head, there were - WALTER, Jimmy Havoc, Mark Haskins, London Riots, Mark Andrews, and Flash Morgan Webster. Was this just a difficult time of the year with other shows running, thus PROGRESS weren’t able to have all of their top stars or is this typical? If this wasn’t typical, PROGRESS handled this well, utilizing other guys to help fill out the card to prevent it from feeling like a skippable event.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: PROGRESS Chapter 52 - Vote Pies Review

If you hated Eddie Dennis feeling like a big name, you’re gonna hate Pete Dunne vs Jack Sexsmith.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

[Infinite Warfare]

Status
      Country                    UK

If the booking for the next show is any indication, Riddle going over Banks may actually be a good thing long term.

I agree with Jim about Eddie though. Perfectly serviceable mid card or tag guy, but don't buy him as a top singles competitor. I know he gets booked as that in smaller feds though, so I guess we'll see how that works out soon.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

SAY MY NAME

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I don’t know if this is common with PROGRESS and I’m only just now realizing it due to how I’ve been watching, but I noticed there were quite a few notable stars that did not work this show. Off of the top of my head, there were - WALTER, Jimmy Havoc, Mark Haskins, London Riots, Mark Andrews, and Flash Morgan Webster. Was this just a difficult time of the year with other shows running, thus PROGRESS weren’t able to have all of their top stars or is this typical? If this wasn’t typical, PROGRESS handled this well, utilizing other guys to help fill out the card to prevent it from feeling like a skippable event.
    It's a common issue. Progress might be the biggest indie in England, but it's not like they've got all these guys locked into contracts. Sometimes there could be better offers for them that weekend. The biggest departures actually happened before you jumped on the Progress when the big three of Sabre Jr, Ospreay and Scurll started getting bookings in Japan and US indies and they couldn't regularly attend the shows anymore so they got slowly downplayed and written out. I guess in someways it's a little like a WWE or NXT show, there's only so many matches you can put on one show, some guys probably miss out because there's no room for them for weekend.

Looking at who wasn't on this show. WALTER isn't really a PROGRESS guy, he's a wXw homer who will work every other show but Germany is his priority. Jimmy Havoc looking at cagematch was defending his IPW world title on a floslam ippv that weekend. I'm pretty sure Mark Andrews was still injured after that NXT Download tour.

[Infinite Warfare]

Status
      Country                    UK

I sort of like that about the company though, someone else's absence is another's opportunity. Sabre, Scrull & Ospreay start scaling back, Dunne, Bate & Seven pick up the ball instead.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    If you hated Eddie Dennis feeling like a big name, you’re gonna hate Pete Dunne vs Jack Sexsmith.
    I guess I'll see when I watch the match, but it all depends on how it's booked. If Sexsmith is booked as Dunne's equal, it will likely be incredibly frustrating. However, if he's presented as an underdog like he was in the Thunderbastard match, it could be a fun story. If he's kicking out of The Bitter End or Pedigrees, it will be a rough watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    It's a common issue. Progress might be the biggest indie in England, but it's not like they've got all these guys locked into contracts. Sometimes there could be better offers for them that weekend. The biggest departures actually happened before you jumped on the Progress when the big three of Sabre Jr, Ospreay and Scurll started getting bookings in Japan and US indies and they couldn't regularly attend the shows anymore so they got slowly downplayed and written out. I guess in someways it's a little like a WWE or NXT show, there's only so many matches you can put on one show, some guys probably miss out because there's no room for them for weekend.

Looking at who wasn't on this show. WALTER isn't really a PROGRESS guy, he's a wXw homer who will work every other show but Germany is his priority. Jimmy Havoc looking at cagematch was defending his IPW world title on a floslam ippv that weekend. I'm pretty sure Mark Andrews was still injured after that NXT Download tour.
    I figured that may be the case. The way I interpret the British wrestling scene (And some of the surrounding countries to include the likes of wXw) is that there's a ton going on, but no one company is clearly above the others that they're the obvious first choice for all UK talent. Strictly speaking, the only reason why I assumed WALTER would be there was because he just won the Atlas Title. Although being an American, I imagine Riddle probably missed shows as champion too.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I sort of like that about the company though, someone else's absence is another's opportunity. Sabre, Scrull & Ospreay start scaling back, Dunne, Bate & Seven pick up the ball instead.
    As someone just being introduced to PROGRESS, it came as a bit of a surprise when I looked a bit at back cards only to learn just how new to the company the likes of Banks, Mustache Mountain, ect all are. I ended up not downloading it, but I had considered downloading a "Top Ten PROGRESS Matches of 2016" pack to help further my understanding of what's going on in the company, but when looking at the matches, it was filled with guys like Chris Hero, Will Ospreay, and others that aren't in PROGRESS any longer and very little featuring the top talent now.

Thread Information