Thread: PROGRESS Chapter 51 - Screaming for PROGRESS Review

Progress Wrestling PROGRESS Chapter 51 - Screaming for PROGRESS Review

PROGRESS 51 - Screaming for PROGRESS
    July 9, 2017

Jim Smallman opens up the show and does what I presume is his normal shtick of asking who is here at a PROGRESS show for the first time. Those that are newbies can buy the next round of drinks. Smallman then responds to some Tweets by embarrassing some guy who recently celebrated his birthday. I like Smallman.

Mark Haskins vs Mike Bird
    Never even heard of Bird before. He looks a bit like a smaller version of Raymond Rowe. It’s almost a shame that Bird just arrived to PROGRESS and isn’t a star yet because he’s actually pretty damn talented. If he had more legitimacy, you could buy into the idea that he could possibly win. Instead, there isn’t any reason to believe that Haskins, one of the top stars in PROGRESS, can’t beat Bird. So while keeping in mind that the drama could only go so high with the predictable outcome of Haskins winning, it’s still a great undercard match. Bird worked a stiff style and every strike came off as loud. Haskins got in a lot of offense until the final few minutes when he allowed Bird to get in some of his spots. The commentators hyped Bird’s finishing move (Cradle to the Grave?), but made it clear that he hadn’t been able to hit it just yet in PROGRESS, which does help protect Bird in these losses. Haskins would force the submission after rolling into his painful looking Sharpshooter. Haskins is always good and this Bird guy has some solid potential too. *** ¼

Kyle Ashmore vs Eddie Dennis
    First time seeing both guys, although I’m not entirely sure Ashmore isn’t just Mike Bird with a slightly longer beard. Dennis is really over with the crowd to the extent where I’m wondering why I hadn’t even heard of him prior to just now. Then the match happened and it became clearer. He’s popular and seems to have a big personality, but his workrate left a lot to be desired. Several times he attempted a spot that was nearly botched. Both men managed to work in some spots that looked as if it could have easily hurt the other. Ashmore is capable of hitting some crazy high flying spots, but he somehow also looks really uncomfortable on the top rope. It’s a weird dynamic. Dennis would win with some sort of Island Driver variation. ** ¼

Jim Smallman interacts with the crowd some more. Some fan made a stuffed pigeon modeled after Pete Dunne.

Jimmy Havoc vs Jigsaw
    It’s been quite some time since I’ve seen a Jigsaw match. Maybe 2011? Sadly, Havoc has new theme music which sucks since his AFI “I Hope You Suffer” song was the best part about Havoc. Despite not having any clue what Jigsaw is up to these days, he’s still pretty good in the ring. Maybe it’s because I’m familiar with Jigsaw, unlike Bird, but this match followed a similar story of the newcomer keeping up with one of PROGRESS’ biggest stars, but in this match, I bought into the idea that Jigsaw could get the victory. Havoc was obviously still the favorite, but if PROGRESS were going to bring Jigsaw back for additional Chapter shows, it wouldn’t be crazy for them to have Jigsaw go over. Like in the Bird match, the commentators hyped Jigsaw’s finisher, Jig-n-Tonic, but since he wasn’t going to win, he wasn’t going to hit it, so the move is still protected. Havoc slightly played up being a dick in the match, but it mostly just involved spitting beer in Jigsaw’s mask and poking at his eyes, nothing too big. The finishing stretch is pretty nice as Havoc just absolutely destroys Jigsaw with a sequence of big moves before finishing him off with the Acid Rainmaker. If you’re going to defeat a debuting wrestler, but still want him looking strong, that finishing stretch is the way to go. Fun stuff. *** ¼

War Machine vs London Riots - Texas Tornado Tag Match
    War Machine are the current IWGP Tag Champions, but the belts aren’t on the line. I don’t know if I’ve actually seen a War Machine match before. I know I’ve seen both men compete before, including seeing Hanson wrestle live when I attended ROH Survival of the Fittest 2014 Night 2, but I can’t recall actually seeing them together. Apparently I should change that because War Machine were fucking incredible here. They are such an entertaining brawling style team. Admittedly, there has to be an asterix next to that since this was a Texas Tornado match, but they were also wrestling London Riots, which despite loving the match, I can’t say my underwhelming opinion of them has been changed. Every meaningful spot, to my recollection were because of War Machine. Rowe hit a crazy double power bomb/slam combo to both members of the London Riots while Hanson showed off his high flying capabilities. At their size, everything they do just comes off as fun. I went into this match believing that War Machine would obviously win, especially since they were the IWGP Tag Champions, although I did like the fact that London Riots did hold two prior victories over War Machine at previous PROGRESS events in the 30’s Chapters. As expected, War Machine won after hitting Fallout on one of the members of London Riots. Maybe one of these days I’ll bother to keep track of which one is which. Considering how much fun I had watching this, I’d love to see War Machine against a better PROGRESS team. *** ¾

Matt Riddle © vs WALTER - PROGRESS Atlas Title
    Well, this looks amazing on paper. If this ends up not being great, I may just cry. This was the sort of match that would put hair on your chest...and then promptly cut it off with the never ending thunderous chops. This match seemed unique to me in that Riddle was keeping up with WALTER, dishing out plenty of hard strikes and moves, but at no time did it ever seem as if WALTER wasn’t in control. He destroyed the Atlas Champion and didn’t seem frustrated whenever Riddle would recover enough to start dishing out big moves again. The chop exchange at the start of the match was insane. They went at it and seemingly decided to have a real war with the chops. Part of WALTER’s slow, but deliberate attack focused on the ankle of Riddle. First WALTER kicked at the leg of Riddle, taking Riddle out from his feet and then attempted to get the ankle lock submission. Again, even though Riddle managed to escape, WALTER was completely cool. WALTER clearly had many different ideas for how to beat Riddle and whenever one didn’t work, he simply went into a different plan of attack. What ultimately gave WALTER the victory was his traditional sleeper submission finisher. He nearly got the victory with a sleeper variation earlier, but once WALTER laid back and had his legs grapevined around Riddle, the champion was forced to tap out to crown a NEW PROGRESS ATLAS CHAMPION. An awesome match and one that frankly only makes me want to see these two wrestle again. The Atlas Title division is just fucking awesome. **** ¼

Flash Morgan Webster vs Chief Deputy Dunne
    First time seeing Dunne. This is apparently Dunne’s return to PROGRESS after being away for about a year. The previous Damian Dunne is now working a no fun police gimmick. Much like the earlier Havoc and Haskins matches on this show, this seemed to be an obvious result with Webster going over. The result is that I didn’t care too much about it. Webster did get in some nice looking spots including flying around the ring post to hit a Frankensteiner and a surprise headbutt. Dunne reminds me of Sebastian as someone who doesn’t appear to be special from a workrate perspective, but the heat he gets is off the charts. The biggest surprise though comes as the referee gets briefly blinded by Dunne while locked in a submission hold by Webster. That gives Dunne a chance to hit Webster with a low blow and a suplex to steal the victory. Holy shit. I did not expect that result at all. Average match, but memorable finish. ** ½

Before the main event, Trent Seven challenged CCK to put their new PROGRESS Tag Titles on the line. To tempt them into doing it, if Banks/CCK wins, Mustache Mountain will never challenge CCK for the titles again. CCK agree and the main event is now for the belts.

CCK © and Travis Banks vs British Strong Style - PROGRESS Tag Titles
    As expected, this was a pretty wild match. I was hoping that this match would help my opinion of Kid Lykos, but it didn’t. I want to like him, I dig his look, but he just seems really kind of sloppy and comes across as a cheap El Generico. If he wasn’t pushed so hard, his limited skills would be fine, but considering he’s now one of the top guys in PROGRESS, I expect him to be better. The first half of the match was treated as a typical tag with Lykos playing the face-in-peril. The second half ignored the tag rules and instead just featured one crazy spot after another. The highlight being a sick spot where Bate dived over the top rope to assisted in a Dunne spike tombstone on a chair to the outside to Lykos. The fact that it wasn’t the finish is a bit of a downer. I did like what they did for the finish though. CCK looked to have the move won, but the referee is pulled in the way, causing a ref bump. That led to Lykos hitting a top turnbuckle brainbuster on Bate. Before the referee can recover, Dunne channels his inner Triple H by knocking Lykos out with a sledgehammer and pulling Bate on top of Lykos to steal the victory and to crown NEW PROGRESS Tag Champions. I would have preferred had the match stuck to the tag rules, but there was plenty of excitement here. Travis f’n Banks fails to disappoint especially when he’s doing his Terminator routine on all of BSS. *** ½

Overall
    Considering my PROGRESS: Orlando show was partially copied and pasted from other reviews, this would be my first PROGRESS show where I watched from start to finish in order. Even with the weak first half that I typically wouldn’t have been exposed to in my PROGRESS pack review, PROGRESS 51 was still quite good. WALTER vs Matt Riddle is a must watch. Both guys have been highlights of my PROGRESS watching with this being one of the better matches. I’ve been pretty lukewarm on London Riots and while their match against War Machine didn’t change that, they did still put on a great match thanks to the awesomeness that is War Machine. I don’t know how PROGRESS fans feel about the tag titles change on the very next show after CCK originally won them, but watching this a few months after it took place and knowing where PROGRESS is going, I understand the story they’re going for. In order for Mustache Mountain vs CCK to be a big match for PROGRESS 55, BSS needs to regain some of the heat they lost after CCK’s title win. Thanks to their first match title win and being screwed here, it’s not as if CCK are hurt by losing the titles so quickly. Some of the lowcarders on this show showed enough promise that I’m interested in seeing more from the likes of Bird and Jigsaw in PROGRESS. PROGRESS is still entertaining me, so it looks like Jim will be watching more 2017 wrestling.
    Last edited by Jim; 10-24-2017 at 08:04 AM.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Re: PROGRESS Chapter 51 - Screaming for PROGRESS Review

Some notes:

- Mike Bird is a guy that's really only started breaking out this year in the bigger UK indies, I believe ICW is his most famous regular home where he's a tag champion. You'll be interested to hear he wrestles WALTER in a singles match at Progress: Cologne.

- Eddie Davis was Mark Andrews tag team partner at this point in time although 2017 didn't see them tag up a lot, so he's over with the fans because they're used to his fun babyface team with Mandrews.

- I've said this to you before, but Progress really lost part of their identity when they switched up the entrance music this year. Perhaps it's shallow of me as a wrestling fan, but I just cannot get into Jimmy Havoc's matches anymore, it's like watching Sandman come out at ONS on the network to the wrong music, it kills the vibe.

- War Machine have been one of my favourite tag teams of the year and pretty consistently deliver good to very good matches. I want to say best IWGP Tag Champions in years, but that's hardly lofty praise.

- WALTER/Riddle was excellent, and it's a good job you like them in your Atlas division because....well....they kinda dominant it for the rest of the year. I really would recommend you downloading WALTER's tournament matches from wXw this year, he is far and away the best in the world for my money.

- I think this was the show I started to wane on the BSS can do no wrong bandwagon as the Triple H tributes became tired.

Status

I don't think its shallow, Ed. Themes have always been impactful for fans. And Progress had some excellent and very stand out entrance themes. Now most are gone.

And its Eddie Denis. He's not a great in-ring talent but I've become quite a fan of his. I think the turning point for me on him - and Dave Mastiff as well - was the live podcast they both appeared on way back. Super Strong Style 16 2015, maybe? Both guys showed a ton of personality on there and it made a difference. Mastiff's Banter Edition stuff was a favorite from that period of Progress.

I actually just cancelled my Progress on-demand subscription. I should have just given the log in to you for a month or two, Jim, so you could go back and watch all of them in order and give the full review cycle we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I actually just cancelled my Progress on-demand subscription. I should have just given the log in to you for a month or two, Jim, so you could go back and watch all of them in order and give the full review cycle we deserve.
    Just curious, why did you end up cancelling the service? Just because you had watched all of the shows thus far? Planning on getting it again in a few months to catch up and then cancel again?

How is the playback quality? Any issues with it? How are you watching it, on the PC or through a streaming device like a Roku?

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    England

YAY THIS SHOW

This is one I was in attendance for Jim, rather than bore people gushing about it again here's my round up of the whole experience:

http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?p=2103825892

To add another point about Bird, he's actually a bit of a veteran of the UK scene and trained the likes of Flash Morgan and Mark Andrews at his Dragon Pro promotion.
    Last edited by Postman Dave; 10-22-2017 at 03:49 AM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Just curious, why did you end up cancelling the service? Just because you had watched all of the shows thus far? Planning on getting it again in a few months to catch up and then cancel again?

How is the playback quality? Any issues with it? How are you watching it, on the PC or through a streaming device like a Roku?
    Yeah, you nailed it. I caught up on the shows. I just figured I would cancel for a couple of months until there were a few shows to view. Figured there wasn't going to be a glut of shows going up in the next couple of months, so it kinda made sense. Will definitely resubscribe in the future.

Playback quality was pretty good. A bit iffy on some early shows, especially the audio, but they were a micro-indy at that point, so I get it. Quality of the shows definitively improved after a bit. The stream quality was generally solid. I never liked that the stream doesn't save your point if you pause or exit, the way that NetFlix or the WWE Network does. Only notable technical issue I had is that at one point, the streams would stop, like they were buffing, but then refuse to keep going. I would have to reload the stream, which meant I had to find the point I was at. It got annoying so I contacted the stream service and they said it was an issue they were working on it, and it mostly stopped after that.

Just watched on my laptop and PC. Never bothered streaming it to the TV.

Honestly, some comments from Dave and Ed made me sign up and I owe them a thank you. I think i would have enjoyed Progress if I had just watched a few random shows and matches, but watching thru made me fall in love with the company in a different way. You see the arcs and the progression of the company.

Thread Information