Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punching Nazis: Yay or Nay? - Where Is The Line Drawn?

HOSS MOD

Status

Re: Punching Nazis: Yay or Nay? - Where Is The Line Drawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    Thanks for the new signature.
    I am WC's greatest orator. The secret's out.

God's Gift to God

Status

Punching a Nazi for who they are is basically adopting their attitude. Don't like someone? Violence will solve it.

If a dude or dudette is just yelling ridiculous shit then let them. It's their right. The second they start assaulting someone or being physical then you might have a case.

ily

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

So is violence worse than words?

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Jon View Post
    Depends on the context. In terms of free speech I'd say there's probably enough legal precedent that would favor someone spouting racism over someone that punched them.

Morally? Psychological damage can be as troublesome and hurtful as physical.

ily

People's Champion

Status

And can't words cause violence.

In fact..you can't spread racist/ bigotry propaganda in Canada.
    And honestly that's the way it should be.

The issue I see is that bigots cause unrest in society which.leads to more unrest. They start the fire basically.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulCoxatron View Post
    Depends on the context. In terms of free speech I'd say there's probably enough legal precedent that would favor someone spouting racism over someone that punched them.

Morally? Psychological damage can be as troublesome and hurtful as physical.

ily
    Yeah, that's what makes this whole thing a bit awkward. Legally, violence is much worse than words. Morally, and indyfan pointed it out, words can generate violence, and as you mention, can be psychologically damaging. Extremists organizations gather members through words, I imagine, more often than they do through violence (as in forcing them/bullying them into joining), and through those words, are then able to incite said people into violence. Easy to point to ole' Trump as an example, but he's incited division in a country through words and in many ways, has played the role of catalyst to a lot of the violence that has followed though some can argue unintentionally.

Anyways, I sort of contest freedom of speech. There should be limits and if that involves spewing hate, then you shouldn't be allowed to. Obviously discussion on what qualifies as hate and what not but that goes with literally every law, doesn't it? Ultimately, it comes down to a legal court. And it's not like we don't ACTUALLY have limits to freedom of speech, one cannot spout libel and get away with it (as Hulk Hogan is surely happy to know). So if we are to limit freedom of speech in that regard, why not prevent hate as well?

I'm sure some people know better as to why tho.

God's Gift to God

Status

Yeah, that's what makes this whole thing a bit awkward. Legally, violence is much worse than words. Morally, and indyfan pointed it out, words can generate violence, and as you mention, can be psychologically damaging. Extremists organizations gather members through words, I imagine, more often than they do through violence (as in forcing them/bullying them into joining), and through those words, are then able to incite said people into violence. Easy to point to ole' Trump as an example, but he's incited division in a country through words and in many ways, has played the role of catalyst to a lot of the violence that has followed though some can argue unintentionally.

Anyways, I sort of contest freedom of speech. There should be limits and if that involves spewing hate, then you shouldn't be allowed to. Obviously discussion on what qualifies as hate and what not but that goes with literally every law, doesn't it? Ultimately, it comes down to a legal court. And it's not like we don't ACTUALLY have limits to freedom of speech, one cannot spout libel and get away with it (as Hulk Hogan is surely happy to know). So if we are to limit freedom of speech in that regard, why not prevent hate as well?

I agree wholeheartedly. But limitations in this country always incite extremist ideals and make it hard to turn freedom of speech into a measured freedom with common sense guidelines.

ily

People's Champion

Status

Agreed. This bullshit hiding behind free speech is annoying. Bigots are a plague on society when they spew their shit. Sure sit at home and think what you want.

Another thing the people they hate aren't causing any issues in their lives. The bigots are trying to get rid of the people they choose to hate.

Sweet Meat

Status

An argument I often see why punching nazis is cool is that they literally are on the foundation of wanting to exterminate other people. If your entire basis is wanting others dead, is that a threat? Is it justified?

Of course, some nazi and supremacist culture would say it isn't about that, and its about their own pride yada yada. But in this scenario, just assume its all blanketed "kill them all" shit.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Dak Lives Matter!

Status
      Country                    United States

What is your standard definition of a Nazi? There are some leftists (actually a lot) that consider anyone that disagrees with them a Nazi. Even if the argument has jack shit to do with race or oppression.
    Keeping the candle burning for Carl

Future Endeavoured

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps View Post
    What is your standard definition of a Nazi? There are some leftists (actually a lot) that consider anyone that disagrees with them a Nazi. Even if the argument has jack shit to do with race or oppression.
    Good point. Are Grammar Nazis suitable to be punched?

Dak Lives Matter!

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Good point. Are Grammar Nazis suitable to be punched?
    Most definately. Then sent "The Video"!
    Keeping the candle burning for Carl

Thread Information