View Poll Results: Would you?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 30.77%
  • No

6 46.15%
  • For some sports, yes, for some sports, no.

3 23.08%

Thread: Would you still watch Sports knowing they were rigged?

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Souled Out Would you still watch Sports knowing they were rigged?

Title says it all. I don't think knowing that it was rigged would dampen my enjoyment of it all that much. I only become disenchanted when it's not entertaining or fun to watch, after all sports are just entertainment.

Also, for semantics sake, we're talking sports are rigged WWE style, so people in the match know the outcome, but it's not widely known to the general public.

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Would you still watch Sports knowing they were rigged?

Probably.

I wish Goodell would stop pushing the Patriots so hard though. No one's buying this whole Austin/Vince rivalry between them. That deflategate storyline was such a fucking joke.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

I honestly get bored sometimes when it's not my favorite teams playing. I think the main reason I started watching is so I can root on my city sports.

I don't actually watch wrestling anymore so I can't even relate it to that. No I don't think I could watch sports if the outcomes were all scripted. It's hard to explain how it's different from WWE to me but it is.

LRH Tech Support Unit

Status

Outside of pro wrestling, what would be the point in watching if sports like baseball, football, basketball and ice hockey were fixed? What kind of fun would that be?

Status

I mean I still do. But the 2002 WCF was peak sports entertainment.

But yeah, I'm not sure. On one hand that's kinda why I watch wrestling, to get stuff like that. I'd still want my avenue for real sports and competition though. It's just too exciting. Having everything rigged would bring my interest down significantly. I'd watch it at first but I'm sure I'd get bored quickly.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    I mean I still do. But the 2002 WCF was peak sports entertainment.

But yeah, I'm not sure. On one hand that's kinda why I watch wrestling, to get stuff like that. I'd still want my avenue for real sports and competition though. It's just too exciting. Having everything rigged would bring my interest down significantly. I'd watch it at first but I'm sure I'd get bored quickly.
    Yes, competition is the word I was looking for to explain it. The competition with sports is what makes it entertaining. The storylines in WWE make it entertaining. I just can't vision a league like the NFL being able to pull off scripted storylines without real competition and be able to make it entertaining.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by vadermania View Post
    Outside of pro wrestling, what would be the point in watching if sports like baseball, football, basketball and ice hockey were fixed? What kind of fun would that be?
    Entertainment, obviously.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Similar to wrestling, once I figure out the business aspect and inner workings, I'll begin to get hints during a game or even before it begins what the result will be. That will decrease my fandom over time. One of the reasons my interest in wrestling slowly diminished is because I got older and started learning more of the insider trade. And that caused me to know things would happen before they did.

When you make things rigged to the extent pro wrestling is rigged, you remove the nature of unpredictability. I know that will diminish my personal interest quite a bit. Athleticism and faux "strategy" only carries me so far.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

Sports are entertainment. Don't think there is much denying that. Almost all sports have made rule changes, both game rules and league rules, in an effort to be more entertaining. The entire idea of parity is an effort toward being more entertaining.

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Part if the appeal of wrestling to me has always been that it's a more "reliable" product compared to other combat sports like boxing and MMA. The predetermined nature of wrestling may be predictable at times, but at least if a company promotes a big match I have more faith in getting my monies worth, as opposed to say a big boxing match that ends in 1st round knock out.

But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy legit competition in rugby and running, so I guess it's a little bit of both to be honest.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Definitely a yes for me. Not only can they make the games way more exciting, as Postman says above, they can ensure a certain reliability on the entertainment that they can't really provide now. I certainly don't want to sit through another 6-6 OT tie like the Cardinals/Seahawks game last year and rigging the games would eliminate that from happening. Plus, if they rigged the games they could feasibly protect the players much better and seeing as that's a major issue across all sports the potential benefits are inarguable.

That being said, this will almost assuredly never happen because it would eliminate the massive gambling market unless they're planning on shifting the spreads to ridiculous WWE numbers like Brock Lesnar being -5000 for his match against Strowman at the last PPV.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Pixar Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status
      Country                    England

I'm only really applying this question to 'would I watch football if I knew it was fake', and I don't believe I would. I'm already pretty disillusion with current premier league football where only a select elite 6 clubs realistically can win the league and everyone else is just making up the numbers, but there's still the chance that on your day, 11 Vs 11, you can pull off a surprise victory no-one saw coming. That ceases to be magical or exciting if I know it was agreed that the losing side where throwing the game - think of how incredible the Leicester City story is and how that wouldn't even be worth talking about if that was fabricated. Maybe that's just me being a little different because I've grown up spending money watching my team play who for most of my life haven't been entertaining to watch (both wba and England), so football is more about watching and hoping for a win rather than hoping to see an exciting game. I get the point about wrestling Vs MMA, but there's more to being entertained by wrestling than just the wrestling matches themselves, there's the promos and storytelling too. That doesn't really apply to football because press conferences before and after the match aren't entertaining 99% of the time because most managers and players don't have a personality. If I know the match I'm about to watch is a hollow lie, Jordan Henderson reading 'it's a big game today, we're gonna give it 110%' off a script is not gonna make me want to watch the match anymore. I'll just boot up netflix or WWE Network and watch something else.

Plus, it wouldn't look as natural which would be a reminder it's fake e.g. a goalkeeper letting a tame shot passed them, players not really trying to tackle attackers. Also, how can you be sure a players pass or shot is gonna come off the right way it's supposed to in a fabricated match, the players are still human so human error is gonna happen.

Then again I watched Arsenal Vs West Brom last week where the ref was certainly rigging something, so maybe I would still watch
    Last edited by ZinEdine Zidane; 10-03-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Status

Look how many people around the globe watch Serie A football. Its rigged as fuck.

But Ed brings up a good point - the quality of how its rigged would be key. The dynamic that makes pro wrestling so fun is that being scripted & fake makes more exciting than it could be as a real fight, in terms of the moves they can do and such. But other sports.... that may not be the case. They are harder to rig, so to speak. how well it can be done would be majorly important.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Yeah, it's not like you can rig football, basketball, or baseball the same way as you can wrestling or boxing. Those are 1v1 or 2v2 sports. Football and basketball have too many moving parts. It'd look fake at a certain point, and the worst thing about watching wrestling is moments where you're reminded "Oh, this isn't real."

Baseball would be easier but, again, it's going to be stupid when Team A is winning by 2 runs and the shortstop lets the ball roll under his glove in the 9th inning because that team is "supposed to lose." People might still watch but people won't be diehard fans of a particular team if they think they don't have an impact on the result.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

stressed but chillin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Probably.

I wish Goodell would stop pushing the Patriots so hard though. No one's buying this whole Austin/Vince rivalry between them. That deflategate storyline was such a fucking joke.
    I'd honestly take all the primetime games in place of the (way too many) Packers primetime games we get.

Don't @ me

I'd probably watch rigged games since I already know that my favorite teams suck and will usually lose.

Spoiler:

DECADE OF DOOMINANCE~!!!

Status

To be honest, the NBA feels kinda rigged because we all know who were gonna play in the NBA Finals before the 2016-17 season got started, and that was the Warriors and the Cavaliers. I am a little bit suspicious of that, since those teams fought three times in three straight NBA Final appearances.

And to answer your question Suntan, No. If two teams play each other, I want to see them compete. I like the unpredictability of sports because anything can happen. That's the fun of it.

LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    FANTASY BASEBALL: 2014 | FANTASY BASKETBALL: 2017-18 | FANTASY FOOTBALL: 2016

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainC View Post
    I'd honestly take all the primetime games in place of the (way too many) Packers primetime games we get.
    We've been pushed as main event faces for so long that I think a lot of people have gotten jaded by the exposure we get. Plus every time it looks like we're gonna give the rub to a plucky underdog like Minnesota or Detroit, Goodell just pulls the rug out and bam, Packers are pushed to the NFC title game again.

Personally I'm just tired of being booked like perennial chokers in the postseason. It would be nice if an all time great performer like Rodgers could get a couple more title wins for having to carry the rest of this dumpster fire for 10+ years.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

LRH Tech Support Unit

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    Similar to wrestling, once I figure out the business aspect and inner workings, I'll begin to get hints during a game or even before it begins what the result will be. That will decrease my fandom over time. One of the reasons my interest in wrestling slowly diminished is because I got older and started learning more of the insider trade. And that caused me to know things would happen before they did.

When you make things rigged to the extent pro wrestling is rigged, you remove the nature of unpredictability. I know that will diminish my personal interest quite a bit. Athleticism and faux "strategy" only carries me so far.
    Excellent post. I'd rather see a legit blowout in a sporting event than an exciting worked game. It's the not knowing that makes legit sports fun.

stressed but chillin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by vadermania View Post
    Excellent post. I'd rather see a legit blowout in a sporting event than an exciting worked game. It's the not knowing that makes legit sports fun.
    Your shitty favorite team lost a shoot game tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoiler:

Thread Information