Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicky Goes To Hell: A Hell In The Cell Retrospect

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.
      Country                    United States

Hell in a Cell Nicky Goes To Hell: A Hell In The Cell Retrospect

With the Hell In The Cell event on the horizon, and with a little more time on my hands, I have decided to attempt a project here on Wrestling Clique.

For two decades, the Hell In A Cell has been one of the most prolific match gimmicks in all of wrestling. The large structure has hosted some of the most heated rivalries, some of the most iconic moments in sports entertainment, and some all-time classics. It's also produced some duds and some really weird shit. There has been 36 Hell In A Cell matches according to Wikipedia, with two more on the horizon in less than two weeks.

In my first attempt at a project in a very long time, I will attempt to watch and review EVERY SINGLE Hell In A Cell match listed on Wikipedia. I'll be in the process of moving in a month so there might be some lulls. I also just might not be able to finish this, so fuck you. Why haven't you finished your project?

I'm also not really a conventional reviewer. I really don't do star ratings, but Ill attempt to do my best here and I'll make it fun for everyone! Ill give the back story (from what I can remember or researched), a short review of the match, and my thoughts on what I've watched.

So, will you join me, as we go to HELL!

Review Archive
    1. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - In Your House: Badd Blood
    2. Kane and Mankind vs. Undertaker and Stone Cold Steve Austin - Raw (June 15th, 1998)
    3. Undertaker vs. Mankind - King Of The Ring 1998
    4. Kane vs. Mankind - Raw (August 24th, 1998)
    5. Undertaker vs. Big Boss Man - WrestleMania XV
    6. Triple H vs. Cactus Jack - No Way Out 2000
    7. Kurt Angle vs. The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Triple H vs. The Undertaker vs. Rikishi - Armageddon 2000
    8. Triple H vs. Chris Jericho - Judgment Day 2002
    9. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker - No Mercy 2000
    10. Triple H vs. Kevin Nash - Bad Blood 2003
    11. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels - Bad Blood 2004
    12. Batista vs. Triple H - Vengeance 2005
    13. The Undertaker vs. Randy Orton - Armageddon 2005
    14. D-Generation X vs. Big Show and The McMahons - Unforgiven 2006
    Last edited by Darling Nicky; 10-15-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Status

Re: Nicky Goes To Hell: A Hell In The Cell Retrospect

Sign me the hell (in a cell) up. Subscribed.

Tap Tap Tap

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Feel The Heat

Status

Will read and rarely comment.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

You gunna rank these boys?

subscribed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Truthfully Duke I probably did a boner at times. I took School after I was held back in the 3rd Grade seriously maybe too seriously at times. I wished I would of enjoyed it a bit more. I think my path is still being made to be honest.

Fantrax Premiership \ Fantrax Division 1

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall

Status

Yeah, rank them or no buys

Tap Tap Tap

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker
    In Your House: Badd Blood

Backstory: Shawn Michaels costed Undertaker the WWF Championship at Summerslam to Bret Hart. Since then, Michaels is now a full blown heel and DX has officially formed and is made up of Michaels, Hunter Hearst Hemsley, Chyna, and "The Insurance Policy" Rick Rude. After months of brutalizing Taker with the number advantage and a steel chair, and a really great segment at Ground Zero, we get these two in a brand new structure never before seen: The Hell In A Cell.

The Match: Before the match, we have a promo with Dok Hendrix interviewing Michaels in DX. A very weird promo with Michaels where he oddly buries the never credible European Championship before cutting an almost babyface promo about leaving DX in the back and winning this match because he's the most athletic and the toughest guy to endure such a structure. Sgt. Slaughter and Earl Hebner fool proof and the check the ENTIRE ring to make sure of no shenanigans in this match.

I've made it clear that I've never been the biggest Michaels fan, and I'll have some criticisms about The Heartbreak Kid later, but Michaels is money during the entrances. He's doing such a brilliant job coming to the ring, masking all of his fears, and showing no fear. As soon as Undertaker's music hits, he fears for his life, says goodbye to DX like a kindergartner leaving their parents for the first time to go to school, and instantly wants out of the structure. It's all done really well by Michaels. While the announcers were a bit mixed during this match, they did a great job of making it sound like Michaels deserved any sort of punishment he was about to receive in this match, and oddly enough, it made for a good structure to the match.

The structure to this match is done very well. Michaels realizes the severity of the situation and Taker realizes he now gets to kick some ass. So he does. The first large portion of this match is Taker dishing out a beating, kicking Shawn's ass all over the ring, and then to the outside. Michaels is doing whatever he can to get an advantage. He finally gets it after a somewhat sketchy misfire by Taker, and once Michaels finds a way to get into control, his ways of staying in control mean taking drastic measure. Smashing Taker with steel steps, using the dreaded steel chair that Michaels used famously before against Taker, tying Taker in the ropes, etc.

Turning point back in the favor of Taker happens after HBK decides to beat the shit out of a camera (because for HBK in 1997 that's not the worst thing to do), and after signatures can't put down the Deadman, HBK looks to escape while Slaughter opens the cell to get the cameraman out of there. Taker is able to catch up to HBK and then proceed to kick the shit out of HBK outside the cell. Taker throws HBK into the Cell multiple times to get some color. In a very scary moment (at the time) both men go up top where Taker then continues to throw HBK around and eventually knock him off the side of the cell onto the Spanish announce table. The crowd goes nuts, but the go even more crazy for what was arguable the spot of the match: Taker waffling HBK in the face with a chair. We all know the finish, where before Taker can put things to an end, we get one of the most well done debuts in Kane ripping off the doors of the Cell and hitting Taker with a Tombstone, where an opportunistic and lifeless Michaels gets the three count on a destroyed Taker.

The Analysis: I remember watching this match when I was eight at my cousin Matt's house. This is maybe the third time I've seen this match in my life. This match holds up for the most part. The actual action sets up the precedence for what most Cell matches should be: two guys trying to end a grudge with little to no bullshit. Taker's intent on dishing out as much justice as he can and Michaels' will to survive are recipes for a good caged gimmick. It was full of great storytelling, with the highlight being Taker using a chair on Michaels which felt like a long, overdue great moment. Like I said, the crowd pops for that almost as loud as anything else from the entrances to the end. It was everything coming full circle and helped further defined the intensity between both men.

I have a few gripes with the match. The elephant in the room is that the purpose of the gimmick was already kind of defeated. It wouldn't have felt too much of a hinder if they didn't spend a lot of time defending the structure to be fool proof and prevent any shenanigans, but lo and behold, they spend almost a solid two minutes on showing you that there's no way Michaels and Taker are going to spill out of the cell, yet there's two cases of the Cell being penetrated. It's done in somewhat sensible ways where the gimmick isn't completely tarnished, but it shows the always flawed hype machine that consists in the WWE, even in 1997. I also have extreme problems with Michaels selling of Taker's offense at the beginning, which is par for the course, but it's also not his most offensive selling ever. Taker's ass kicking at the beginning also isn't the most exciting, but it makes sense.

The Verdict: Almost a perfect match, arguably a classic, and one of the strongest Cell matches in history. Definitely created the blueprint for what the Cell match should be (and shouldn't be). I'm going to be giving a special type of star to each match, so in honor of good storytelling, I give this match 4 and 1/4 Face Shots out of Five.

Up Next: 1998 kind of sucks.
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Pain does not lie

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

First of all love the idea of going through the Hell in the Cell Matches Nicky. I remember watching HBK vs Taker in the Cell and I was already a HBK fan, but it left me liking Michaels even more as a talent. Now as a kid I didn't know he was a prick backstage at this time, but the bumps and the Chair Shot he took straight to the head I was in awe of what was going on. If was one of those rare occasions my Mother and Dad didn't want me to see the match even I had watched the whole PPV at that point one for my nausea towards blood and how violent that match got at times.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Love this Hell in Cell for the obvious reasons but this match showed the perfect way to pause a blood feud to go to another storyline and then finish the feud later in order to keep the feud fresh. The hell in a cell matches get more crazy from here on out but this hell in cell was just as amazing as you will see with the others.

Status

Hell yeah. Great read Nicky, looking forward to the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Truth View Post
    FUCK THE NAZIS. Fuck them, the alt-right, and those white supremacy Confederate-flag wanking babies who are so angry because life's not fair and brown-skinned human beings want to sit at the table. Fuck these Tiki-torch, polo-wearing hatemongers for believing that they're any better than anybody else. And a double dose of "Fuck you" to ANYONE who buys into this garbage of a centralized "white culture" because such a thing DOES NOT EXIST NOR EVER HAS. And while anybody who punches one of these lowlifes should be punished as the law dictates, I sure as hell am not going to feel sorry for these fuckers if their lives become a series of perpetual punches. When you spew hate, what the fuck do you expect?

Feel The Heat

Status

I've never actually seen the OG cell match in its entirety. Gonna have to rectify that.

Unless the two weird dark match Raw cells came before it then my favorite one is next. I know it isn't the best but the sheer spectacle of it has always made it my fav.

When the black man talkin

Status

My second favourite HIAC match and I'm not down on the finish either. They got out by two logical ways: an injured cameraman, and a monster.

It's such a good match in terms of giving a satisfying destruction of a dickhead heel, only for him to somehow squeeze out a win. The chair shot at the end is a great piece of storytelling.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

This is impeccable timing as I was just about to tell you to go to hell.

And kudos for not doing star ratings, only Lord Meltzer is allowed to do that. LOL at all the idiots who lambaste the Young Bucks then turn around and emulate Meltzer like fuccbois.

I HAVE STARTED STREAMING MY GAME SESSIONS
    ...COME AND CHECK IT OUT IF YOU'RE BORED,OK?

Status

tbh anyone who uses any variation of the word "fuckboy" is likely one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Truth View Post
    FUCK THE NAZIS. Fuck them, the alt-right, and those white supremacy Confederate-flag wanking babies who are so angry because life's not fair and brown-skinned human beings want to sit at the table. Fuck these Tiki-torch, polo-wearing hatemongers for believing that they're any better than anybody else. And a double dose of "Fuck you" to ANYONE who buys into this garbage of a centralized "white culture" because such a thing DOES NOT EXIST NOR EVER HAS. And while anybody who punches one of these lowlifes should be punished as the law dictates, I sure as hell am not going to feel sorry for these fuckers if their lives become a series of perpetual punches. When you spew hate, what the fuck do you expect?

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    tbh anyone who uses any variation of the word "fuckboy" is likely one of them.
    Exactly what a fuccboi would say. I don't mean that though, we cool.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    And kudos for not doing star ratings, only Lord Meltzer is allowed to do that. LOL at all the idiots who lambaste the Young Bucks then turn around and emulate Meltzer like fuccbois.
    Meltzer didn't even create the star rating system.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    My second favourite HIAC match and I'm not down on the finish either. They got out by two logical ways: an injured cameraman, and a monster.

It's such a good match in terms of giving a satisfying destruction of a dickhead heel, only for him to somehow squeeze out a win. The chair shot at the end is a great piece of storytelling.
    Like I said, I don't mind the opening of the cells but you can't help but to be a little thrown off with how much Slaughter tried to guarantee no one coming in.
    -------
    -------

Status

I've never liked the breaking of the cell or the interference in this first HIAC. You have this awesome new gimmick match that freshens cage matches up and immediately you're proving that people can interfere as easily as they can in standard cage matches. I'll give the match credit for at least putting over a debuting star in being the one to interfere, but take away the fact that this was a #1 contender's match, they could have still had that same Kane beat down after the match without damaging the credibility of the HIAC.

I have no idea why the WWE loves doing this to new gimmick matches. They did something similar in the second Elimination Chamber match and I find it incredibly frustrating since that sort of spot should be saved in the future.

Other than the ending to this match, I find it to be nearly perfect and an obvious WWE MOTYC. Probably top three of the year.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

No, I too want to stress that this is a fantastic match and easily top three best HIAC matches out there.
    -------
    -------

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    No, I too want to stress that this is a fantastic match and easily top three best HIAC matches out there.
    Off of the top of my head, I'd rank it as either the third or fourth best HIAC (Roughly tied with Brock/Taker) with only Cactus/Hunter and Hunter/Taker as being better.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Meltzer didn't even create the star rating system.
    Floyd Mayweather didn't create boxing. Neo didn't create The Matrix. And Shroud didn't create PUBG.

What's yer point?

Thread Information