Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Nicky Goes To Hell: A Hell In The Cell Retrospect

Triple H (c) vs. Kevin Nash
    World Heavyweight Championship
    Special Guest Ref: Mick Foley
    Bad Blood 2003

(Sponsored By Maxim Haircolor. The fucking irony today.)

The Backstory: Triple H has been trying to avoid Kevin Nash's rampage (almost usually successfully), so Sheriff Austin books Triple H vs Kevin Nash for Bad Blood at Hell In A Cell. Because Triple H has been reckless with the referees on Raw and apparently retired Tim White (expect a complaint), all of the referees refuse to call the match. Austin assigns Mick Foley to the match because he's tough enough to take bumps and he's nice enough to call a fair match. Triple H hates that and wants Foley to reconsider the match.

By the way, they did a segment where Nash pinned Triple H with Foley counting the three to close out the go home for Raw, so jeez, I wonder who wins this match.

The Match: The video package for this feud on the network had a very generic song highlighting every thing. Turns out the original song for the package was "Headstrong" by Trapt. One of the strongest one hit wonders of the early naughts.

For the record, I am also watching this for the first time in full, and I expect this to fucking suck. It's not a good sign that Foley is getting the only reaction for the entrances.

Another Triple H cell match, another extremely slow start. There's a Foley bump early but it almost seems like an accident more than anything. Nash controls a lot of the start with his power, doing his typical striking and plays with the Cell a bit by throwing Triple H into it a few times. Eh, there's honestly no point into going into most of this match: slow pacing, slow pacing, a few weapon and cage uses but it's not terribly exciting. I get what they're trying to go for here, but I've seen it done not at the pace of a fucking snail. A couple botches/awkward moments sprinkled in there too. Foley acts like an official only when Triple H wants to use a weapon. Meh. This happens a few times. They get into shoving matches. It's really the only thing they pop for. Nash gets color. Plenty of weapons spots. Barbed wire 2x4s, crates, steel steps the sledgehammer, etc.. After Triple H whacks Nash and Foley with a chair, Foley brings out Socko and hits Trips with the Mandible Claw. There's a bump similar to Tim White at Judgment Day, and one Jacknife later, Nash looks for the victory. However, Triple H kicks out after a rather normal paced count for Foley. A sledgehammer shot and a pedigree later and Triple H retains his World Heavyweight Championship.

The Analysis: This wasn't as terrible as I expected this to be. There was color in a feud ending gimmick match. There was some brutality. And I get Kevin Nash's psychology to keep this all in the Cell. He did fine using the Cell to what it's supposed to be.

But there's a lot that's just off with this match. I applaud the psychology to keep this in the Cell, but that psychology should have been made a lot more clearer way earlier in the match, not something you realize once the match is over. I don't think it would have been wrong to go at least one moment in this match with Triple H wanting to escape. This match also works a whole lot better when things are heated from the start. Slow, brooding, methodical, pacing is not fun in these matches. I don't expect Kevin Nash to go fucking crazy like a Lesnar or a Taker since he's immobile as fuck even in 2003, but this is Hell In A Cell. There were many aspects of this match where I actually thought this would have been better with a different stipulation. I get what story they were trying to tell here but not everything about the story clicked or seemed very logical.

Also, I'll say it. I fucking hated the involvement of Mick Foley. It was trash. First of all, the referee story line was dumb. It was dumb mostly for the fact that they made Triple H out to be this referee killer, yet I just watched Judgment Day 2002 and Chris Jericho was the one that injured Tim White! WWE once again challenging the memories of fans. The whole idea of Foley in the match was just to add drama to Triple H possibly dropping the belt, but even after getting a beating on Raw, Foley's enforcement in the match feels like a total unnecessary fuck job and feels like a hassle. You're completely forgetting why Nash and Triple H are having this match and just wondering why we're just not getting Foley/HHH in the Cell again. Foley's involvement was very unneeded, but I guess it's good he was there because the only time the crowd cared was when he was involved.

Triple H in 2003 is worse than Triple H in 2002. This was like the match with Jericho, but even more unbelievable. Too much convoluted booking to pad the odds, too much focus on the wrong things, and unnecessary credibility killing from Triple H.

The Verdict: They tried. They really tried. The action is actually kind of good the further it happens. It's the number of flaws (not a very enthused crowd, unfocused storytelling, not a lot of drama, and slow pacing) that don't make this a very good match, not the action. Two Maxim Haircolor Boxes Out Of Five.

Also here's a bonus clip of Nash's shoot with Sean Oliver about this match that I've heard before and always amuses me. Enjoy Drunk Nash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGzz4s0dEzw

I'M NOT A MARK BUT C'MON

Up Next: Alright, the match that most of you are dying for me to get to. Nicky literally goes through hell. To all the people that think this next match is any good, and to the WWE for how they built this next match....

-------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

I was a highwayman

Status

I really like this thread keep it going Nicky.

The taker/brock one is by far my second fav cell match.

The one you just reviewed though... eh I skip it when I watch the cell dvd set lol.

When the black man talkin

Status

I kind of like HHH v Nash. Like I know it isn't "good" but I appreciate it for unashamedly using every smoke and mirror possible not to completely suck. The fact that those two in 2003 put on a watchable match is a goddamn miracle. And Foley was the best wrestler in the match and his involvement just screamed "please make this match not suck".

I can't wait for the next review you should take a shot every time someone is laying down for more than 30 seconds.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Scumbag Role Model

Status

It's just a shame that Foley's involvement has the opposite effect for me. Not the worst special guest ref we'll see though
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    It's just a shame that Foley's involvement has the opposite effect for me. Not the worst special guest ref we'll see though
    Oh fuck no. I am praying for you to see THAT referee performance the same way I do

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels
    Bad Blood 2004

The Backstory: These two dorks are upset they had to put Benoit over so they have to make me suffer as a result of it.

The Match: Another Triple H Cell match, so you know how it starts. Flashy entrances? Check. Stare down? Check. A LOCK-UP. MOTHER FUCKING CHECK. You get your slow, Raw match offense. And it's REAL slow. Like, slower than HHH/Jericho. Slower than Nash/HHH. It's very uneventful and doesn't scream blood feud at all. There's some action outside but it's not particularly exciting, yet Triple H decides to blade at one of the weakest Cell whips I've ever seen in my life. Way to go, dude. Non-intense offense, non-intense offense, yada yada yada. Even the crowd is trying to care. I check how much time is left because I'm sure we're getting close to the half way mark, yet there's fourty five minutes left. You've got to be fucking kidding me! This match is still in the early stages?

We finally get our first story in the match: Michaels' back. And it actually gets me into the match. He tries to suplex Triple H into the ring, so he struggles. Triple H actually notices this. So he just starts destroying the back. And I'll be damned, Michaels' selling of the back is pretty damn great. So Triple H just keeps targeting the back, and targeting the back, and targeting the back...........and targeting the back........and targeting the back.......oh here we go, now he's gon--wait----he's targeting the back......and targeting the back......

......how on earth can you make body focus boring?

Michaels is able to get the advantage after a HIP TOSS and a low blow. Jesus Christ. Michaels does his offense, and then his back selling becomes super inconsistent. He's walking around the cell like he's never had issues with it in his life, but of course if there's a big move to it he freaks out and then he sells like death. I'm now becoming less impressed with Michaels' selling. At least when he does the kip up he's in pain. I'll give him that. There is actually a really great spot where Michaels misses the Sweet Chin Music and then walks right into a stair shot. I actually liked that. And it's a much believable death spot than a weak Irish Whip. We've got to be gunning for the finish now!

*checks time*

Thirty one minutes left.

Ugggghhhhhh. Triple H is now back in control, while Shawn Michaels' selling isn't. We exchange the back selling for your typical cringeworthy loopy Michaels selling. More slow, faux intensity from Triple H. For the first time in Cell history I feel like. We get a dreaded SLEEPER HOLD! YAY! Because this is what we needed to do in this match. We needed to SLOW IT DOWN. We try to make it exciting again with some deafening chair shots from HBK, and now Triple H is gushing blood, but I've already been fooled by these guys one too many times.

I'm just going to try to burn through this as fast as I can because I can't take this anymore and I have 21 MINUTES left with HBK finally making his comeback. HBK is finally getting his revenge shots and making HHH pay for torturing the poor guy (and me). Great! Awesome! But he challenges his inner Undertaker and completely disregards the fucking ten minutes of punishment he got onto his back. Big spot. Lying down. Big spot. Lying down. Fuck this, for the rest of the summary, take it away Brian from Family Guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l2So90yoKw

Nothing happened. It's over. And nobody cared.

The Analysis: I was going to make a joke saying, "well, there's an hour of my live gone." Fuck that. This was more than an hour. I had to attempt to watch this four times. Once I fell asleep and the other two times I had stuff to do. There was way too much of my life gone. Why is this match so fucking long? We've seen that it's not about the length of the match when it comes to Hell In A Cell. It's all about how you pace it. And god fucking dammit, these guys didn't get it at all. There's so much you could cut out of this match. There was such a much simpler and better way to tell a tale in this match without trying to make it seem like a fucking parody.

The approach is all fucked up. Lock-ups in a blood feud, really slow sections, very unfocused storytelling (fuck, there's hardly any story whatsoever), doesn't embody the spirit of a war at all, etc. I can't appreciate anything about this match at all. You bring you back in with something tasty and then piss all over it with inconsistency and yawn inducing lulls. I can't appreciate the focus on the back, I can't appreciate Michaels' comeback, I can't even appreciate the decision to save the finishers for the end because Triple H had to do a shit load of them like this is Savage/Warrior. SAVAGE AND WARRIOR WEREN'T SLEEPING FOR TEN MINUTES OF THEIR MATCH! You know what this match needed, more lying down! I don't think I got my lying down quota filled. Throw another rest hold at minute 40 you fucking fucks!

I've watched better versions of this match a few years earlier. Why do I have to watch a lackluster version of this now? Fuck Triple H and fuck Shawn Michaels. Two of my least favorite wrestlers bringing out a lot of their negatives in one match. This isn't HBK at his worst because there were times where I was completely on board with what he was doing and his approach. But because he has to be so fucking frustrating to watch and completely disregard hard work for phony drama, he drops the ball big time. Triple H so far is 1 for 4 in how these matches are supposed to work in a one-on-one setting, and this is his biggest whiff of all.

I hate forced epics. I hate forced epics almost more than anything else in professional wrestling. It's my least favorite type of match. It's bad wrestling. It's worse than actually bad wrestling. I get more enjoyment watching a Kris Lewie, a Pibe Diaz dying, or a Shelly Martinez yelling "MY VAG" then I do matches like this. This isn't a forced epic like Angle vs. Hardy at No Surrender or Tyler Black vs. Davey Richards where it's just big move after big move with no context or any drama and they're just being idiots about it. And yes, that is also bad wrestling. This is a forced epic where everything is painfully stretched out and going at the speed of a quadriplegic in a decathlon while not having any context or abandoning any story and not making anything exciting and when you get to your big spots or climaxes, you've given no reason to care. Roman Reigns vs. John Cena is a recent example out of that. This is supposed to be a main event of a show with a big fight feel. I shouldn't be checking my watch. I shouldn't be falling asleep. I shouldn't be looking at my phone. I should be wrapped in the story you're trying to tell. The job in the Hell In A Cell is NOT supposed to be stretching out and going for a forced epic that you could see today in mostly every promotion. If you're doing sleeper holds at minute thirty two of a fifty something minute match then you just completely turned me off from just giving a shit for the rest of the time, because you've decided to not give a shit. Take your self-indulgence somewhere else.

The Verdict: This sucked. Half A Shitty White Triple H Boot.

Up Next: You've got to be kidding me! A great Triple H Cell match! WITH GOOD STORYTELLING!
    Last edited by Darling Nicky; 10-07-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    -------
    -------

Status

I feel for you Nicky. Absolute garbage match. Awful. The last twenty minutes is as bad as you'll ever see in a match.

I completely agree with your entire review but particularly these:

- This is the worst of both men. Absolutely right, especially Triple H who was at his 2003 boring worst. Michaels' selling was incredibly frustrating and his facial expressions are horrendous. They are two wrestlers with fucking awful habits and they just let them all hang out here.
    - Forced epics. This is the match that I would use to reference a forced epic. I have seen people call something like Michaels vs Undertaker from WM25 a forced epic, and I can somewhat understand that, but that match was at least interesting and compelling. This match was dull and the fans were bored out of their minds. From the constant laying down, two pretentious fucks going 30 minutes longer than necessary to show "drama" because they feel like they're more important and popular than they actually are. To the Shawn Michaels "I am dramatic and struggling to crawl to a cover". Awful.

What I think you touched on but I'll expand on is the offence in this match. It just failed completely. HHH was in his typical old school heel offence, completely cookie cutter. Dull. Michaels though just didn't work either. Michaels' offence is by far his weakest part of his wrestling ability, and he just comes across as far too tame for this sort of match.

When you watch this match you wouldn't believe that these two had one of the best WWE matches ever earlier in this year or 2 years previous. Fuck knows how they pulled it off at Summerslam 2002 because that was just a freak perfect storm; and in 2004 this is what happens when you take Benoit out of the equation.

On the plus side, the next match rules. Top 3 HIAC match ever, maybe even number 2, I don't know.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I feel for you Nicky. Absolute garbage match. Awful. The last twenty minutes is as bad as you'll ever see in a match.

I completely agree with your entire review but particularly these:

- This is the worst of both men. Absolutely right, especially Triple H who was at his 2003 boring worst. Michaels' selling was incredibly frustrating and his facial expressions are horrendous. They are two wrestlers with fucking awful habits and they just let them all hang out here.
    - Forced epics. This is the match that I would use to reference a forced epic. I have seen people call something like Michaels vs Undertaker from WM25 a forced epic, and I can somewhat understand that, but that match was at least interesting and compelling. This match was dull and the fans were bored out of their minds. From the constant laying down, two pretentious fucks going 30 minutes longer than necessary to show "drama" because they feel like they're more important and popular than they actually are. To the Shawn Michaels "I am dramatic and struggling to crawl to a cover". Awful.

What I think you touched on but I'll expand on is the offence in this match. It just failed completely. HHH was in his typical old school heel offence, completely cookie cutter. Dull. Michaels though just didn't work either. Michaels' offence is by far his weakest part of his wrestling ability, and he just comes across as far too tame for this sort of match.

When you watch this match you wouldn't believe that these two had one of the best WWE matches ever earlier in this year or 2 years previous. Fuck knows how they pulled it off at Summerslam 2002 because that was just a freak perfect storm; and in 2004 this is what happens when you take Benoit out of the equation.

On the plus side, the next match rules. Top 3 HIAC match ever, maybe even number 2, I don't know.
    1. Evolution Era Triple H might be the worst wrestler of all time.
    2. Like I said, take that self-indulgence somewhere else.
    3. Michaels as a babyface and the reason this match exists just doesn't add up. Michaels is not a very good aggressor. His two singles HIAC match show the two sides of a coin: when he has a character and a story that works (chicken shit that realizes he made the biggest mistake of his life so he just tries to hang on) and a character and story that doesn't (overblown valiant babyface). Triple H being a controlling heel is what I should start using to go to sleep if I'm feeling restless.
    4. Because the Summerslam match didn't feel like a joke. There was actually drama and much needed chaos. It was called making something work. The same thing can't work two years later when you've already blew your load. I can't imagine thinking this was going to be good in 2004. Benoit was out of it and they showed a fucking lock up in the video package for this match
    5. I said that Michaels and Taker was a Top Three HIAC match but I've seen at least two that would make a case to join HHH/Cactus in that spot and the next one might be one of them.
    -------
    -------

Despite not being fond of either guy at the time, I enjoyed this for what it was in my one and only watch of this match (Nine years ago). The length of the match is easily the worst part about it though. Forty-seven minutes for a HIAC match is way too long especially when Hunter is coming off of his single weakest workrate year that was filled with injuries. However, when it comes to HBK/Hunter in 2004, the match I'm most annoyed about was their Rumble Last Man Standing match. Now there's an insufferable match to me that never got going, felt overly long, and featured the absolute worst possible finish for a Last Man Standing match, the dreaded no contest. He may be a monster, but bless Chris Benoit for stepping up and single handly saving Raw's main event scene that year.

Status

I dare you to watch it again, Jim. I dare you.

Meanwhile in the midcard of this show Benoit is carrying Kane of all people to his best match ever, and a much much better match than this.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Despite not being fond of either guy at the time, I enjoyed this for what it was in my one and only watch of this match (Nine years ago). The length of the match is easily the worst part about it though. Forty-seven minutes for a HIAC match is way too long especially when Hunter is coming off of his single weakest workrate year that was filled with injuries. However, when it comes to HBK/Hunter in 2004, the match I'm most annoyed about was their Rumble Last Man Standing match. Now there's an insufferable match to me that never got going, felt overly long, and featured the absolute worst possible finish for a Last Man Standing match, the dreaded no contest. He may be a monster, but bless Chris Benoit for stepping up and single handly saving Raw's main event scene that year.
    I don't really remember much from this, but I'll try to fit this in. I can't imagine it being more of a farce of a match than this though. That's a tough bar to jump over.
    -------
    -------

Status

Nicky, I would disagree about Evolution era HHH being the worst wrestler ever. His 2003 was fucking atrocious but outside of Summerslam his 2002 might be even worse. Plus 2004 HHH wasn't that bad because he had a shit load of good TV matches and he had the Benoit matches which helped him massively. I feel like 2007-2009 HHH might have been worse because he was now playing a terrible heroic babyface, still burying talent like mad, and being shit.

Also the worst Michaels vs HHH hasn't been mentioned yet. The 2/3 falls. That's next level bad. Ric Flair is the best wrestler in the match

I was a highwayman

Status

This cell match while I can see and know isn't everyone's favorite( or maybe no one's) is one of those guilty pleasures for me. I know why it's not for everybody too long for me tbh but this was a year or two after I started watching so I guess got got some really good rose tinted glasses.

But yeah on the bright side ya gonna be watching a really good one next... if they(wwe) didn't cut it too bad.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore Iceman View Post
    This cell match while I can see and know isn't everyone's favorite( or maybe no one's) is one of those guilty pleasures for me. I know why it's not for everybody too long for me tbh but this was a year or two after I started watching so I guess got got some really good rose tinted glasses
    Eh, that's fair. When I started watching wrestling again in 2006 after three or four years of not watching it, there was a lot of things I put on a pedestal that don't really hold up but still hold a place in my heart because that's what I remember getting back into.

RVD123 sure did love RVD's title win and the return of ECW
    -------
    -------

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    Ireland

That Triple H vs Shawn Michaels HIAC is one of the most disappointing matches I ever watched. Only watched it the one time, live, and never again. At the time, given how much I had personally enjoyed prior Trips/HBK matches (bar the Armageddon match in '02), I was expecting it to be a four star match minimum, and it never even came close. I think the nail was hit on the head with the 'forced epic' point that was made. The match was nearly an hour for the sake of being an hour - certainly not because they had a lot of spots to fit in. A horrible match.

Thankfully the next one is a great improvement.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Batista (c) vs. Triple H
    Vengeance 2005

The Backstory: Triple H has passed the guard to Batista, and he's not cool with that. Triple H threatens to leave Raw, but comes back to make Batista's life hell. Flair's turned his back on Batista, and Triple H beats the tar out of Batista. The challenge is then made for the Cell. In order to keep his title, Batista has to survive the match that Triple H has never lost in a one on one contest.

Great quote in the video package: "I'M GONNA KICK THE DEVILS ASS"

The Match: Sign of the Match: VENGEANCE 4 BAUTISTA

Holy fucking shit, Batman! For the first time in five years, a Triple H Hell In A Cell match starts off with much warranted intensity once the Cell drops and does a good job just building from there. I won't do a very long recap, because the story of the match is simple and demonstrated in more crazier ways the farther into the match: Batista constantly makes Triple H pay. Triple H tries to out wrestle Batista, Batista finds a way to out wrestle back and even more aggressively. Triple H uses a chain in an attempt to kill Batista, Batista then somehow uses it even more violently. Triple H whips a barbed wire covered chair out and tear Dave's back up, so Batista decides to rip Trips to shreds right back. Triple H can't hit his finisher. He can't escape the barbed wire chair. He can't keep Dave from grinding his face on the Cell. Triple H can't just get a break until a DDT on the chair. Triple H is able to bring in his trusty sledgehammer to finally get the advantage on Batista, but even Batista is able to use the sledgehammer in a more menacing way than Batista. In one of the best finishes I've seen up to this point that puts the whole story of the match in full circle, Batista is able to win a race between the Batista Bomb and Triple H attempting to use the Sledgehammer to finally put away the game.

The Analysis: Now that's how it's supposed to be done! For the first time in three matches, Triple H comes into the Cell with a story that absolutely works. Anything he can do, Batista can also do and then do much more effectively and painful. This is the without a doubt the most satisfying Cell match that we have seen up to this point. The babyface goes into the heel's playground and humbles him. Not only does he humble him, but he pretty much kills him.

What we're going to learn much, much later in this retrospect (well, we've actually already kind of learned it but we're going to see more people abuse this the further we go along) is that how you build to big spots and weapon usage makes the match. We can argue that brutality and blood is important to these Cell matches since this was a blood feud and there sure was a lot of blood, and it's something we'll never see in these matches a lot ever again. But I bet if this match didn't have gallons and gallons of blood this still would have been a fantastic match, mostly because they made every sequence work and feel important regardless of the crimson masks. Every weapon that got used in this match felt super important, because it was all built around "man, Batista is going to get a hold of it and absolutely destroy Triple H with it". It didn't feel like spots for the sake of breezing through spots. It didn't feel like plunder just for the sake of having plunder. The weapons were the story, and they told the story brilliantly! Batista propping the stairs in the corner and just ramming Triple H's head into the steps is an awesome, awesome spot. There's a bunch of awesome spots in this! The sledgehammer counter, the satisfying chair shots, and damn I can't stop thinking about how awesome that dramatic finish was. Fuck you Shawn Michaels!

Batista was great but I cannot believe how phenomenal Triple H was in this match. Such a good performance from Triple H with the story being the confidence of being in his environment quickly turning into peril and desperation. This is crazy too because how often at this point is Triple H on the brink of losing? He did everything he could to make sure passing the torch to Batista paid off and it could not have been done with easily the best match in this rivalry. Triple H losing his first one on one Cell match felt like a really big deal at the end. Triple H just did so many things right and finally got what this match was supposed to be about and it's just so surreal to see especially after the last three matches I've had to set through.

There is a part of this match that does feel like it was overdone and unnecessary, but it hardly detracts the quality of the match.

The Verdict: Is there a more satisfying, feel good Hell In A Cell match in history? Great story, heated brutality from bell to bell, amazing finish, star making performance. VENGEANCE 4 BAUTISTA! I deserved this viewing experience really, really badly. Four and a Half Barbed Wire Chairs Out Of Five

Up Next: I thought about breaking tradition and reviewing the most recent Cell matches for a quick detour, but let's stay true to the format. Mind games, possessed interviewers, and Hep C!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw4VeqwsGr0
    Last edited by Darling Nicky; 10-11-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    -------
    -------

Status

Batista v HHH is incredible. I completely agree with you about everything. They told a fantastic story, its cleverly put together, and very satisfying too. Batista is a very good storyteller in ring. As fans we had been conditioned to expect HHH to win in the end but to see him so decisively beaten made batista look like a star.

Almost perfect match and one of the best cell matches ever.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    Ireland

This might be my favourite HIAC match of all, in how far beyond it surpassed my expectations at the time. I remember when the poster was first leaked for this event and not wanting to see another Triple H vs Batista match and especially not another Triple H HIAC, but this was incredible. A fitting end to the feud, and really helped solidify Big Dave as a star.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

The Undertaker vs. Randy Orton
    Armageddon 2005

The Backstory: Randy Orton re-ignited his Wrestlemania 21 with The Undertaker after being drafted to Smackdown. Obsessed with ending the Undertaker (and presumably doing it), Orton's actions have now caused the Deadman to lay out the challenge for Hell In A Cell to end this near year long feud once and for all.

By the way, this feud would include the following segments, not all in order:
    - Randy Orton lighting a casket on fire containing The Undertaker, "killing" the Undertaker
    - Voiceovers from Undertaker stating that "THIS IS THE UNDERTAAAAKEEEEER"
    - Randy Orton running around the arena while pyro blasts in his face and spooky stuff happens
    - Undertaker returning as Survivor Series in a flaming casket and killing Smackdown jobbers
    - Randy Orton attempting to kill The Undertaker with Eddie Guerrero's tribute lowrider
    - Randy Orton seeing a therapist
    - Randy Orton seeing The Undertaker in a mirror
    - Randy Orton having visions of a bloodied Cowboy Bob
    - Undertaker showing Cowboy Boy and Randy versions of themselves in a Casket
    - Randy Orton faking retirement to set up the Undertaker (with Cowboy Bob dressing as a druid and somehow getting possession of the urn)
    - And finally, these three awesome things: Undertaker stalking Orton, a self driving car, and a possessed Josh Matthews....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2q8vfuFans

This feud is a lot more WrestleCrappy than I remember it being!

The Match: By the way, this match isn't in the Hell In A Cell Collection on the Network, and it's extremely edited. The video package is taken out at the beginning, and there's some weird cuts I've noticed during the match. I wonder what the deal with that is.

The match itself tried to take the formula of other Undertaker Cell matches: brash, cocky youngster is hesitant to confront the Taker in his own yard and does the best he can. Orton tries to out wrestle and take advantage of the Deadman (headlocks and tie ups in a year long feud? None of these guys look like Triple H to me!). Orton can't seem to get any momentum as Taker is able to foil him at pretty much every turn. After a lot of dull sequences and moving around, the turning point comes from Taker just destroying Orton with some of the hardest chair shots to the skull I've ever seen. Orton begins to get color and with that we have some believable punishment and intensity into the match and I'm hooked.

However, even with Taker getting a measurement of revenge by having a long section of punishing Orton, I'm not as into it as I would think. I have a reason as to why and I'll have more on that in a second. Orton is finally able to get control after the most random RKO I've probably ever seen in my life. Orton tries to return the punishment, and Taker blades in the process. Orton tries to choke out the Undertaker with a chain, kill him with steps and the chair, gets a table set up. Hell, even Cowboy Bob gets in the mix, pulling the greasy hair of the Undertaker.

The match just then gets a lot of unnecessary things thrown into it just for the sake of trying to make you feel like someone goes to die. Use of plunder that came straight out of HHH/HBK in terms of how it was set up (table spots in the Cell just aren't for me I guess), Nick Fucking Patrick blades to come straight out of HHH/Jericho, Cowboy Bob comes in while a new ref comes in so he can blade and bleed all over Taker, Orton hits a tombstone. After the ref takes to long to count for Orton, Taker sits up and is able to put Orton and Cowboy Bob away for the victory.

The Analysis: What a weird viewing experience. This was half an acceptable match for a blood feud and half a very dull, predictable match with stuff I've already seen up to this point. It's Randy Orton's very first Hell In A Cell and he has a chance to follow the route of Brock Lesnar or Batista and have a combative, smart Cell match with a veteran for a star making performance. He tries hard, but somehow it comes off feeling like a Triple H Cell match where you can read between the lines in everything that they are doing, a lot of parts feel completely unnecessary, it's over booked, and it feels too long. One moment, you're buying into why this is in the Cell, especially when Taker wallops Orton with a chair or when Orton's choking out Taker. Orton's been trying to kill Taker for months, so yeah, that makes sense. But you're completely taken out of it when Taker's vengeance section is too long and nothing out of the ordinary, or when Orton is taking way too long to set up spots or pose to completely take the intensity out of the match. Almost on the verge of satisfying, but with way too many frustrating elements.

I guess because the whole feud itself was just so fucking goofy looking back at it that I'm not too particularly fond of this match rewatching it. I mean, a man did try to kill another man so the atmosphere makes sense. But because it's masked in the supernatural and then we get a match filled with dull points and more goofy moments, it just misses the mark of what it could have been.

This whole time period of Smackdown is bad, just a side note. This Wrestlecrap was also surrounded by a time where the Boogeyman existed, Melina is portrayed to sleep around to bribe other wrestlers, The Mexicools existed, JBL buries Matt Hardy, Eddie exploitation is almost in full effect, Palmer Cannon, and so many other things. The build for this match is more entertaining the match itself. Even the story about Undertaker getting pissed about Cowboy Bob bleeding all over him because Cowboy has Hep C is hilarious to me and the most memorable part of the match still.

And people argued that Orton should have gone over, but it didnt bother me then and it doesn't bother me now. I don't think this is a good Orton performance, but for the sake of having a long match and taking a lot of punishment in the main event with The Undertaker, this didn't exactly hurt Orton, especially since he pretty much went right to the World Title scene.

The Verdict: A feud that doesn't hold up with a Cell match that just didn't click. It's not terrible because necessary Cell tropes were accomplished and the feud has a satisfying ending, but it's didn't accomplish everything that it should have. I've seen a lot in this match that I've already seen too. Just watch the mind games segments and have a laugh. Two And A Half Possessed Josh Matthews Out Of Five .

Up Next: Triple H and Shawn Michaels are back at it again!
    -------
    -------

I don't remember nearly anything about the actual match. The various dramas surrounding the match has been far more memorable. That includes the Hep C scare from Bob Orton Jr, causing The Undertaker to not even be involved in WWE TV for at least a solid month due to apparent anger about the situation. When the match went down, a ton of people online were bitching about Taker going over Orton, even though I thought Orton came out looking great following the Taker program. Regardless of which matches in the program Orton should have won, it's this program that I credit as helping fix the character after Triple H had destroyed it the previous year. Then this match helped set-up a series of amazing WWE.com shorts involving Josh Matthews and Tim White with White finding new ways to kill himself. I eventually became a huge fan of these wacky segments once they became so over the top, but when they did the first suicide with a gunshot in the background, all I could think was how ill timed this was since the WWE was still reeling from the death of Eddie Guerrero.

*Edit*

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BAD7407573EBDD

The wonderfully insensitive Tim White skits that pokes fun at depression, mental illness, and suicide. WTF
    Last edited by Jim; 10-14-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Thread Information